All SketchUp Reviews

Sketchup - Beginners or Experts can use it

Carolina

Business Supplies and Equipment, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed August 2022

The easiest way to model

I've been using google sketchup since university, in a short time I was able to present my work in 3d, and I've been using it ever since, and it's been 10 years now.

PROS

What I like most about this programme is the simplicity with which one starts modelling. In a short time you can reach an intermediate level of modelling, and there are many tutorials on the internet. If you add to this the large library of 3d objects available and all the plugins at your disposal, it is the perfect program.

CONS

The only flaw it might have is that the pro version is paid, but it's worth it.

Reasons for switching to SketchUp

The google sketchup interface is much simpler and more intuitive.

Robyn

Architecture & Planning, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2021

SketchUp: A good place to start your 3D modeling experience.

Apart from the occasional hiccup, my experience with the software has been great. Most of the challenges that I've faced was due to user error and due to habits that were hard to shake after switching to SketchUp. SketchUp is great for beginners and professionals alike.

PROS

Compared to other 3D modelling software that I've tried, SketchUp is by far the easiest to learn and even master. Though it comes with less tools and features than most other software, those that are there are exceptionally focused to to create simple models in an efficient manner. The 3D Warehouse is one of this software's best features for at the click of a button, you have access to a wide variety of models ranging from simple doors to incredibly detailed light fixtures. The user interface can be customized to your comfort and the wide range of plugins available in the plugin warehouse makes your modeling possibilities nearly endless. All the free videos that can be found online makes it really easy to learn the software without having to spend any additional funds.

CONS

With the existing features, one is limited to only creating simple models for the software doesn't handle complex curves very well. Though there are plugins that can help, there is only so much you can do. You'd want to keep your file size as small as possible because the program does lag when there is too much information to process. The software is very temperamental. On multiple occasions I've lost progress due to it crashing.

Reasons for switching to SketchUp

I struggled a lot with learning to create 3D models in AutoCAD. I needed a software that is easier to learn and helps me be more efficient.

Tom

Architecture & Planning, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2020

Rubbish upgrade

No benefits, only problems that weren't there in the version used previously. Someone explain why this is referred to as an 'upgrade' please?

PROS

Absolutely nothing other than being able to get full access to warehouse.

CONS

Usual rubbish - take a product that you're comfortable using, (I've used since 2010) force users into an upgrade they don't want it need, charge them for it, lose the template & configuration that your happy and used to using & provide a product that is no better, crashes endlessly with 'bug splats', loses files and needs time & energy getting it to how it was before. Why do tech companies feel they need to alter & if we are forced into an upgrade, let it copy the same template as previously used & make it seamless. So far, my £228 investment had lost me 6 hours of time in setting up, crashes & trying to iron out bugs. I will now have to spend another few hours tomorrow contacting my 'support' to sort out the latest cock up from the 'improved' version.

Reason for choosing SketchUp

Used for over 10 years - all work in that time still accessed & therefore required

khaled

Business Supplies and Equipment, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2023

sketcuo review after 9 years of experience

overall experience is really joyfull, especially that I can design and manipulate my designs as I wish and edite and model it to real views with render feature and the extensions function that reallyhas a great impact on the speed of work on the software.

PROS

what I mostly like about sketchup is the friendly user interface use of it, I can design and model any types of shapes, homes, cities ,... I like how I can export and import many different formats of files.

CONS

the least I like about sketchup is that it requires high resolution cards and high performance processors while rendering.

Tim

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2022

3D modeling for non 3D modelers

Overall, our team likes to use Sketchup. The ease of being able to express our ideas, and with the accuracy it can now provide, it's definitely a tool that we rely on.

PROS

Sketchup has gained popularity because of its easy UI. Compared to other 3D modeling applications, it is very easy to understand the interface and functionality. For company use, this means ease of training staff. That said, advanced users can still discover features later on through plug-ins and the 3D warehouse.

CONS

We're currently using the free version, of course it is limited. I liked that before they had a perpetual license. Now it's all just subscription, which I find too tedious and stressful as a business owner.

Reason for choosing SketchUp

The clean UI, and the ease of use is what makes Sketchup standout.

Reasons for switching to SketchUp

3D max was too advanced. We are a boutique practice and don't really need all the features and innovations from a robust program like 3D Max.

Gaby

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2023

One program for 2D and 3D for Interior Designers

I use SketchUp for everything. From the start of the project, importing cad files or drawing it on my own, to the very last detail with sections and schedules

PROS

The ability to bring the drawing into layout and create a set of drawing for contractors to use

CONS

Layout could be more designer friendly and have different drawings integration

Reasons for switching to SketchUp

I was opening my own company and need a product that would serve multiple function and was afffordable

Holger

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2022

Sketchup - a easy to learn fun to work with 3D software solution

I modeled a couple of houses from scratch and from blueprints with it. It works smoothly and it's great for architecture.

PROS

Sketchup is easy to learn, it's fun to work with and the user gets high quality quick results.

CONS

The subscription model is the thing I don't like about it.

Reason for choosing SketchUp

They're too complicated and expensive for the jobs I do with them.

Reasons for switching to SketchUp

I switched because of the ease of use.

Deni

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2022

All models can be realized with SketchUp

Very good and also fun. Because I can make various models in one software, and to make cost calculations in architectural development that I make in SketchUp without having to leave the UI itself.

PROS

Very easy to use, uncomplicated in UI appearance, and availability of various features that continue to grow in it.

CONS

Sometimes SketchUp is too dependent on add-ons or extensions, making it not completely ready to use.

Reason for choosing SketchUp

Easier and simple UI and can be customized to my liking.

Reviewed November 2020

Great for what it is

Overall I enjoy SketchUp and recommend it for classroom teachers in shop, art, and design...plus I use it myself to design woodworking projects.

PROS

With a little bit of background, very simple to pick up. Even learning it cold, it's relatively simple compared to other tools.

CONS

Not as complete as some tools. I'd recommend for woodworking or an architecture/design classroom, but not for engineering or parts design.

Reason for choosing SketchUp

It's simple to pick up, but still pretty flexible. Fusion is more powerful, but that also makes it more complicated.

Thanks for the kind words! If you have particular feedback on how SketchUp can support engineering workflows, we'd love to hear it. Feel free to post it in our forum: https://forums.sketchup.com/t/the-feature-requests-category/103 Thanks!

Replied December 2020

Reviewed August 2022

Great program and highly recommended

Overall this has been a great tool for renderings, site investigations, design options and more.

PROS

The vast materials and components library, because it allows you to completely study what your design could be.

CONS

How quick files can get heavy on your computer

Reasons for switching to SketchUp

The potential my models could have in sketchup with the easy to use tools

Ed o

Building Materials, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2017

3d design for everybody

1st time I heard about SKETCHUP was several years ago. I was looking for some fast sketching solution (preferable in 3d ) and search engine listed this program as near 1st position (and not a CAD). So, I clicked on the link and saw a fantastic piece of software. After some 8 or 9 years SKETCHUP is still on my computer. It's more poreful than several years before (form SKETCHUP 6, if I remember correctly), there are more materials, components and models (when 3d warehouse started it made a revolution of it's kind, enthusiast could show their models and companies could offer their products and services). Several things made me a follower/user of this program: simple to use, fast drawing, diferent type of finishing, cross-sections, user-friendly interface, diferent ways to achieve same results (by multyplaying or by dividing, by pulling or following,...), plenty of options and many special features that came during years. On of the first features was inserting a 3d object on GOOGLE EARTH (GOOGLE was a previous owner). That had a tremenduos effect and in short perid of time every city had many of landmarks made by SKETCHUP and inserted on maps. 3d warehouse was also an succesfull feature. Interesting feature, also, is "projection and perspective view". Changing this You can switch from "natural" 3d view to "geometrical" 3d view. This is MUST BE USED when You switch from designing to taking measures (hard to describe but imediately visible when used) Interesting feature, from a few version ago, is to match a photo. You simply load a photo (interior or exterior) and with help from program You model a 3d object, At the end You had a 3d model replica from photo with textures acquired from photo. If You are in real estate business, You understand what can be done regarding virtual demonstrations. Another nice feature is another warehouse - for extensions. With these addons You can have a completely different way of doing Your job, from drawing, designing or 3d printing. PRO version have some other usefull features that I like .DWG handling and several types of calculation, reporting (these are important part of my work with it) and exporting results. If You need a good sollution for 3d sketching, drawing or design, and You don't have time to learn a full CAD software this is software for You.

PROS

Simple tu use, fast drawing, starting 3d models and 3d warehouses, extensions, textures, importing of photos and materials, finishing, rendering options, drawing/sketching options, perspective changing, components and objects designing, friendly-used interface, cross-sections, active comunity,...

CONS

Many options are not visible or even expected. Without manual and (several) video tutorials many things that are simple to do You can't be done as they are not explained/offered. Switching axes sometimes is very irritating. Deleting a part of object sometimes cause un-expected results. Pushing/pulling sometimes cause small but irritating problems with surfaces.

Amy

Computer Hardware, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed January 2021

Amazing 3D modeling tool

I have designed multiple properties with this software. I don't know how I could have done it without this software. I have used it for site planning, 3D modeling of homes, geolocation and proper orientation. This has allowed me to be able to be creative without having to employ someone else (and wait for them) to draw up my designs. Really a game changer for me. I absolutely love this product.

PROS

I found Sketchup relatively easy to use compared to other comparable software. I was able to create 3D mockups rather quickly and able to move around the object with ease. I used this software to design an off-grid cabin - all the way down to the electrical schematics. The tool did not limit me in what I wanted to accomplish. I love the 3D Warehouse, where I was able to download furniture and other objects already created. I was also able to use the shadows window and geolocate my model to see how the sun would shine in the windows over the days and months. I adjusted my overhangs and orientation based on this to build an extremely comfortable cabin. Amazing software!

CONS

Because this software is so robust, it will take some training to be able to comprehend all of the features. Additionally, in later years it is no longer a client based application, but rather a web based application. The client side app is a much better product and does not require an internet connection for usage (other than the 3D warehouse). The geolocating feature is also now a paid/licensed feature that used to be free.

Price

Fabiana

Research, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed March 2023

A User-Friendly 3D Modeling Tool

As someone who has used Sketchup for several years, including as a student and professor teaching it for landscape architecture and architecture, I can say that my experience with the software has been mostly positive. One of the things I appreciate most about Sketchup is its user-friendly interface, which makes it easy to learn and use even for those with little to no experience in 3D modeling. The software's tools are intuitive and allow users to create accurate and detailed models quickly. The Warehouse feature is also a great asset, as it provides access to a vast library of pre-made 3D models that can be used in designs, saving time and effort in the modeling process.However, I have found that Sketchup can be limited in its ability to handle large-scale projects or complex models, particularly when it comes to working with vegetation or other natural elements that can slow down the software or cause it to crash.

PROS

- Sketchup has a user-friendly interface that is intuitive and easy to learn, making it a great tool for beginners and professionals alike.- The Warehouse feature allows users to access a wide variety of 3D models, saving time and effort in the modeling process.- Sketchup is ideal for presenting design ideas to clients and stakeholders who may not understand technical drawings.- The software allows users to create floor plans, sections, elevations, and 3D models from a single drawing, streamlining the design process and saving time.

CONS

- Sketchup can be limited in its ability to handle large-scale projects, particularly when it comes to working with vegetation or other complex models that can slow down the software or cause it to crash.- The pricing of Sketchup can be expensive, especially for those who are just starting out or working on a limited budget.- The trial version of the software is only available for one month, which may not be enough time for users to fully explore all of its features.

5,001-10,000 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed November 2022

Powerful 3D Modeling and CAD Options at a Variety of Price Points

My overall experience with SketchUp has been a positive one. I've used it to translate my basic woodworking and house design concepts into quick mockups. Very useful for me for those purposes. What's more I can see the power and utility of the software (particularly the paid tiers) for those involved in even more complex and extensive modeling projects.

PROS

For me, the thing I like most about SketchUp is the ease of use and accessibility of the software (especially the free version) for people of all skill levels. I myself have had training in various pieces of CAD and 3D modeling software; however, most of these have such a high barrier to entry. Even with my knowledge and comfort in those systems, when I need to sketch something up quickly for a woodworking project or get a basic idea down on the page, SketchUp is often the quickest way to do it. It allows me to get an idea from my brain to the screen extremely rapidly so that I can test proof of concept and quickly work out any kinks in my initial conception. SketchUp Free has a great standard feature set (model library, shapes, fills, extrusions, etc.) that one would expect from any 3D modeling software. The paid tiers go even further by integrating powerful collaboration tools and cool features like weather/temperature modeling, etc. What's more, being able to export several different file types is useful if I want to take my ideas into another piece of software. All in all, SketchUp provides a powerful (and affordable) suite of options for all user types.

CONS

With all of SketchUp's benefits in mind, sometimes its streamlined nature can be a bit of an impediment to translating ideas to "paper." Some my difficulty in this regard is owing to my primary experience in AutoCAD--the interface is just different enough that some basics are counterintuitive (to me). That said, with time and experience in the software, I was able to overcome my initial stumbles. One other potential issue to keep in mind is the fact that SketchUp Free is limited in the types of export formats it provides. To gain access to some of the more universal or software-specific file types, it is necessary to upgrade to a paid tier.

Reason for choosing SketchUp

I chose SketchUp because of its ease of use and low price (at the free tier).

Jessica

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2023

Ensure the design of what customers need with high quality

Sketchup helped us with more creativity, as the flexibility available in the system, the speed of response, and the multiple options it provides, enable us to design what customers require with high quality, and we can show all the design details accurately.

PROS

SketchUp provides us with many great tools that help with creativity, and it is great that I use it in interior design, as it allows me to interact with clients, provide them with initial proposals, and discuss ideas with them, which helps me design what exactly suits their needs. SketchUp allows you to choose between different materials and experiment on several surfaces, as the library components help you choose between them easily. I appreciate that Sketchup provides a lot of plug-ins and features that enable us to create more complex graphics. It is also great to respond quickly to commands in Sketchup, where all operations are done quickly, in addition to the speed of importing and exporting files, and synchronization with other applications is seamless.

CONS

There are not many things that I do not like, but I am used to using shortcut keys during the design process, and unfortunately, I do not find many of them in Sketchup, and most of the commands I have to choose from the main menu, which I find annoying sometimes.

Akshita

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Best 3D software

PROS

User friendly, tools make it so easy to develop a design within hours, it has helped me grow my business for sure.

CONS

I find a little difficult to add plugins sometimes but apart from that found it the best software for making 3D designs.

Reviewed May 2019

Review of Sketch up 2017

All round, it is a good and flexible software especially for beginners who'd like to just get started with architecture modelling software.

PROS

I really like that the software is very flexible. You can literally use it to perform any function pertaining to architectural drawings such as drawing plans, and sections especially with plug-in with a variety of functions you can perform such as builing walls, doors and windows as components etc. I like that you can import and export files ranging from 2D DWG TO 3D COLLADA. I also like that it has a very active community that can assist with any problems you may be facing with the software. I especially like that it intermittently autosaves for you incase of any mishaps that may occur along the line. You can also simply just drag in components and materials without any hassle.

CONS

I don't love the unexpected bugsplats and the fact that if I change the setting of one scene it affects the outline profile of the work. I think the zooming options needs a little work because sometimes it can be difficult to orbit around work without expecting it to enter into a surface all the time. I feel the snapping to edges might need a little work as well because sometimes its difficult to close polylines unless you zoom in critically.

Ryan

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed June 2021

A great place to start with 3D modeling

As an amateur "maker" working with 3D printing and fabrication on a small scale, I've found SketchUp to be sufficient for my needs. I keep finding new and surprising things that I can do with it, and while certain functions remain a little mysterious, it is easy enough to use that almost anyone can make something useful right out of the box.

PROS

I was able to get started with SketchUp right out of the proverbial box even though I had literally no experience with, or knowledge of, CAD software or 3D modeling. I knew that SketchUp had originated as a Google product back in the day, and so I thought it would be a relatively simple place to start (I was looking specifically for a tool to design objects for 3D printing). Without much fuss, it is entirely possible for a newbie to design and export effective models and 3D files, and with continued tinkering, you can do some really impressive work with the software.

CONS

The software is very powerful, but there are some odd quirks that can take some time to resolve. For example, there is no built-in tool to draw a three-dimensional sphere, and you have to follow several steps to do this. It can also be frustrating (and, in some cases, impossible) to use the software as-is to do certain things (e.g., making sure an object is in fact "solid"), and you have to rely on third-party plugins that vary considerably in their quality and usefulness. I also don't like that SketchUp seems to have discontinued its "free" version/license altogether and replaced it with the buggy and ill-featured "SketchUp for Web" app--they've priced the license very ambitiously which I think will unfortunately put it out of reach for a lot of people.

Reason for choosing SketchUp

Cheaper, more accessible, less intimidating