Browse Emburse Abacus Reviews

G. Keenan from Sprout Social, Inc.

Effortless expense tracking and management

Pros

Having come from a huge tech company that had their own proprietary software to submit and reimburse expenses, Abacus is a breath of fresh air. It's unbelievably easy to use and both their website and their mobile app are clean, intuitive and get out of my way. I don't feel like I'm jumping through hoops or need to go through a bunch of red tape to get expenses reimbursed, and it helps me keep track of when my expenses are approved and reimbursements are being distributed. It's amazing being able to just take a photo of a receipt right from the app and upload it immediately. Don't need to hold onto receipts or gather scans in another app. Seriously, this software is so simple. Every company should use it.

Cons

I've had the mobile app crash a few times or just become unresponsive, but this is so inconsistent that I don't really think I've ever been inconvenienced by it.

Expenses Simplified

Overall, I would recommend this over other expensing tools. It is modern, they have mobile capabilities, and the support was excellent when needed.

Pros

Abacus is easy to set up and use. The UI is intuitive, and it is self-explanatory to use. I really like that you can send email receipts to the abacus alias, and it parses out the expense for you. They have a mobile app that I use often, and I rarely have issues with the tool.

Cons

Sometimes the receipt scanning can take a long time, and you will go in and edit it manually. I don't like that it takes a long time to get email receipts into abacus.

David from michael d conroy plc

Bad product

This has been the worst business decision we have made. We were looking for a case management software to streamline increase efficiency. The sales promises about this were simply not true and the free training is a joke. It is so basic that it served no purpose.

Pros

The support team is very responsive. The product may be great but once you purchase it they want more money to deliver the product rather than deliver the product.

Cons

The product is difficult to use, and simply does not offer the features that are available in quick books. It is a huge step backwards and requires an amazing amount of time to deal with glitches. It frustrates rather than enhance outlook. The product is outrageously priced for what we are able to do. I was assured it was the right product for my small firm but I don't think so.

Reasons for Choosing Emburse Abacus

Seemed to be much higher quality and better features

Reasons for Switching to Emburse Abacus

Salesman convinced me that I was paying for top of the line case management software that had the best features of what we were using and by paying as much, we would be guided quickly to achieve our goalls

Count your Savings!

I love that this is quick, and easy. Just take a picture of your receipts and attached the image to your expenses and that is it! Saves time, and shows corporate where they can save money or where too much is spent.

Pros

Abacus allows you to streamline and organize your expenses. It enables you to systematize how you refund your employees, execute your expenses and reconcile credit cards.

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like about Abacus. This saves time and money and approval and audit processes are faster. This is easy as counting on your fingers!

Very Easy to Use for Employees

Pros

I appreciate how easy Abacus makes it for me to submit expenses and how clear the process is. You can quickly see what expenses are pending, what has been approved, and what still need to be approved.

Cons

I wish there was a way to remove categories that are irrelevant to you or your team. I.e. if you are on the accounts team, you should be able to hid the sales categories to make it easier to categorize the expense.

Love abacus!

Pros

Abacus is great. It’s very straightforward and super user friendly. I think it’s extremely easy to streamline the entire expense process.

Cons

Nothing really! I’m just a user on the platform but I find it extremely easy to use and have no issues at all explaining to new hires how to use.

Best Expense Tracker

Pros

Easiest to use expense tracking software. Just snap a receipt and send to your approving manager gets notified. Quick and easy to categorize expenses appropriately, as well.

Cons

No cons, been very happy with Abacus and current and prior companies that have used this software.

Frank from Apploi

Easy to use and submit expense reporting

Its easy to use, fast and quick for submitting expenses reports, especially multiple reciepts at the same time. It saves a boat load of time and Id recommend it to all startups!

Pros

Its easy to use and upload photos or expensed items or you can even connect your bank account and it does everything automattically.

Cons

The user interface is nothing special although it is easy to use, it could be upgraded to look more appealing.

Easy to Use

Pros

Abacus is great - both online and in their app. It's simple to submit (and approve) expenses to keep your team moving.

Cons

There are random bugs that appear in the mobile version that seem to be easily resolved by restarting.

Great Software

Pros

Super straightforward. Easy to use and provides visibility into the expensing process.

Cons

Nothing negative to say. Abacus works great.

Bryant from Sharpline Converting Inc.

Abacus as a simple and worthwhile expense tool.

Pros

Abacus has so many feature, it is practically limitless. We were able to use it to shorten our expense process drastically. Not to mention the fact that the Abacus team is extremely helpful. Their introduction emails answer your questions before you even have a chance to ask them! For us, Abacus was the perfect choice as it offered us both a simple and practical expense platform to start with as well as a technology we will be able to use moving forward and integrate with our accounting software as our sales representatives become more aware of the product. (Which isn't too tough! Its incredibly simple to use!) Pricing is at a great point as well. However, if a user does not submit an expense they will not pay for that month! I would not trust those who offer "free expense software." Those at Abacus are professionals, hands down, no doubt.

Cons

I really have few cons for the software. I think it would be nice to see more instructional videos that we could share with our sales team so that we did not have to explain the software to them. That being said, the software is intuitive and we had few problems helping everyone get up to speed. All in all, there is little to complain about considering how much bang you get for your buck.

Rebecca from The Potts Law Firm

Easiest Way to Manage Your Business Transactions

This software tremendously helps the accounting team at our Firm. It also helps the users who are required to submit corporate expenses. The categories and customization fields allow this product to be extremely useful.

Pros

I love the Abacus. It's extremely easy to navigate your way throughout the site, and it takes only a few seconds to upload images of your receipt/add a quick description of your expense. I also like that you can create different categories and can require specific fields to be answered. This is extremely useful on the admin side when users are uploading their information for Corporate expenses. It leaves less room for exclusions to me made. This programs took me approximately 30 minutes to learn and I've used it every day since.

Cons

My least favorite thing about this product is just the price, honestly. I feel it is a bit high, but the product is great and the customer service is very helpful, so all in all it's worth the money.

Tammy from Unpackaged

Don't buy it

I wish I'd gone with another software agency.

Pros

The product POS is easy to use - for general sales

Cons

So many features are not working properly or missing. If you are a cafe or restaurant this system may work for you. If you're a retail grocery store DO NOT BUY IT. The tech customer service is lacking - they don't know what they are doing and can take MONTHS to get back to you. The sales customer support is garbage. Once you've bought the software they basically wash their hands of you. We continue to have issues with ABACUS not calculating customer account sales correctly, their membership program is limited in functionality, products/ingredient functionality is almost useless.

Reasons for Choosing Emburse Abacus

The sales team made a lot of promises - which ended up they couldn't keep.

Brittany from FaithActs for Education

March 2015

Perfect fit for our small, fast-paced organization

Pros

Abacus is very easy to use, and gets money back into our employees' bank accounts as quickly as possible. We knew we didn't want to keep folks waiting up to a month for their reimbursements, and Abacus has just blown us away. We've gotten expenses submitted and approved in 30 seconds, with direct deposits initiated that night. Each transaction also has the documentation we need for our annual audit since we're a nonprofit. It syncs perfectly with our accounting software (Xero) and our chart of accounts.

Cons

There's absolutely nothing I don't like! I was expecting customer service to be less-than-great, since I work for a small nonprofit organization (read: low revenue for developers) but it's been exceptional.

Very user friendly and straight forward

We switched from Concur to Abacus to handle our employee T&E.

Pros

The way the mobile app and web app work together makes it very easy to upload receipts from your phone and manage your expenses on your laptop.

Cons

Sometimes the mobile app will crash or not function properly - its not quite as built out as the web app.

Matthew from Salvation Army Kroc Center Hawaii

Great software

Pros

This automated our process and allowed us to go completely paperless which was a big deal for our organization!

Mal from Stealth Startup

Makes expensing a lot easier

Much easier to use compared to previous reimbursement systems I've used (paper receipt submission / using spreadsheets).

Pros

Abacus is a really easy way to submit receipts and costs for reimbursement without too much hassle. The interface is very simple - just drag and drop images or PDFs of your receipts.

Cons

It's hard to have a timeline of when costs will be approved, since that depends on the administrator or manager manually saying yes to them (at least in our case). But, once funds are approved it's pretty quickly deposited into your bank account.

Rosa from Greenhouse Software

Helpful for managing reimbursement

Pros

It's easy for me to use and quickly get reimbursed for business-related expenses

Cons

The reporting and permissions have been a little less than ideal.

February 2015

Kelsey from PerformLine, Inc.

February 2015

Work expensing with ease!

Pros

It's extremely easy to use. The design is clean and neat, and it goes right to my CFO for fast approval of the items I expense for work.

Cons

I use an iPhone 5S, and for some reason, the little red circle with a 1 on it is always on the app on my home screen. I usually like to have all notifications cleared as they come in, and I can't figure out what the red bubble is for.

Supreeth from Comau Power train

Expense System with Easy usage

Pros

Abacus is a extremely useful expense software with ability to drag images from the platform and also can download images from the phone app.

Cons

The aggregate expense with outstanding amount shall be displayed on home page that will be very helpful for any user.

Devani from Potts Law Firm

So far so good!

Pros

We have been using this system for about five months now. The website and mobile app are user-friendly, which is the biggest pro. It can also be customized to fit your business structure. Overall, the system has delivered well on most of what it promised.

Cons

I think our only con so far is that the system does not integrate with our accounting software as we were told it would.

Jodus from Imbric-8

Complete recommendation

Pros

We have used their services once only last year and thoroughly would recommend their customer service

Cons

They are small and may take some time to get assistance. They seem to be always busy which can be both a pro and a con

Mike from Bristol Rent-All

Buyer Beware

We left Insynq after 6 years, after their hacking experience and went to Cloud 9. We did not like Cloud 9 at all and went back to Insynq. Now Cloud 9 tells us we are locked in for 36 months. We tried to reduce users from 3 to 1 (which was our original user count) and they say we can't do that either. Need I say more ? ! These people are dishonest in my view. Insynq are wonderful to deal with !!!

Pros

Probably a decent product. My issues are the fact that using their shared servers causes a frustrating experience when accessing our software each time.

Cons

Very aggravating interface. I believe they have deceptive marketing practices.

Reasons for Switching to Emburse Abacus

Insynq was hacked by ransomware. They now have things in place to lessen chance of another attack and allow clienst to access data if that should happen again.

Jon from Q

April 2015

Easy to use product with a beautiful interface

I'm currently trailing a handful of different expense related applications, and Abacus appears to be the strongest contestant. It's intuitive, easy to use, smart!, and powerful. It's very clear that a lot of work went into building this product as the interaction and experience of the app is so simple to use (with little to zero instructions). One of my favourite features would be the ability to quickly filter expenses and generate exports. Their .PDF export is great as it provides a table breakdown of all the expenses as well as all of the receipt images associated with the expense. Give it a shot!

We use Abacus for expense tracking and reimbursement

Pros

The app is lite (it doesn't take much space) and it seems to do all of the basics from travel to reimbursement management.

Cons

The app struggles with things it claims to do and has some "advanced" things it apparently cannot do. For instance, connecting a credit card says the app will recognize expenditures for approval later, but so far nobody in our office has been able to make that work. It would also be nice to not have so much downloading, saving, then re-uploading to Abacus (regarding receipts) - other apps do this without saving on your personal machine at all.

Pros

The interface is easy to use and expensing on this system is very quick. I use my phone regularly and the biggest benefit is when you can use your phone to upload the expenses on. This makes it relevant and direct, which cuts out paperwork.

Cons

It would be good on the dashboard to see what the expenses have been paid, not just how much has been aggregated.

James from Law Firm of Tina R Mills, LLC

Great For large Firms

This is a great system for large firms. It will handle everything you will need to do. You can cover all needs of the firm with this product.

Pros

The Tech support is very good and very willing to help if you have any kind of issues.

Ressa from Potts Law Firm

Industry: Law Practice

Abacus is very user friendly.

Pros

As an administrator the ability to reconcile is super easy using the system! I haven't really found any one specific thing that I dislike about Abacus.

Jasleen from PerformLine

March 2015

Excellent and most user friendly Expense Reimbursement platform.

Pros

Simplicity and ease of use along with the timeliness of payments.

Cons

There is nothing that I would change about this platform.

Kim from CPR-3

August 2014

I am an approving manager

Pros

This is great software to quickly track and approve an employee's expenses. There's no need to write checks anymore.

Cons

I would love to have a simple way to extract all expenses onto an Excel spreadsheet. I currently do this, but it seems that it could be done much easier.

Andrew from Csa

Abacus consolidates real time

Pros

Expenses made easy and tracking done correctly. Credit cards and mileage is now easier than ever before.

Cons

After my employees turn in accurate expenses, I have to pay them. I don’t really like that, but that’s business.

Lauren from The Sill

Abacus is Great

I only use it as a user, but it makes the overall expense report process so easy and I spend so much less wasted time attaching and downloading receipts!

Pros

I love Abacus. It makes expense reports so easy and I end up just doing it as I am out and about since it is so easy to upload.

Cons

It takes forever for the transactions to pull through from my card so I don't end up using that function which is unfortunate because it is actually pretty helpful.

Eric from SYNEK

Must have for any startup!

If you're still using manual expense reporting, then you need to block off an hour today and implement Abacus immediately. It will save you and your team dozens of hours while giving you better insights and controls over your expense policies. Easy setup that takes less than 30 minutes, and an email to your teammates. Do it.

Scott from CPR-3

August 2014

Worked wonders for our organization

I cannot say enough about how much we love and could not live without Abacus. It has revolutionized the way we handle expense reports and the speed with which we are able to get our employees the money they deserve. A total time-saver for everyone involved. The customer service has been outstanding, helping answer our questions every step of the way.

Belal from Aloha

August 2014

Amazing product that has made getting expenses paid so much easier!

Pros

I like the ease of use. I was able to pick it up very quickly.

Cons

I haven't had any problems with the product so far. A manager has to invite you to use the app.

Abacus

Its been good. It is a decent platform and it gets the job done.

Pros

I like that you are able to separate out your trips to make it simpler for the approval process for both you and your supervisor.

Cons

I wish when you were submitting it would automatically tag the event that you are at. You have to manually select the same event for every transaction.

Varun from Foursquare

Best Expense Software I've Ever Used

Abacus is drop-dead easy. Snap a photo of your receipt, input the amount and the vendor, and a description. And you're done. I'm submitting expenses before I get up from the table of the meal that I'm expensing. Super easy for our finance team to review and I have money in my bank account in a few days.

Brian from Ambition

April 2016

huge fan - abacus has made expense management incredibly easy for us

I'm a user, admin, and enormous fan of Abacus. The product makes it so easy for our people to report/ track their expenses and then of course its insanely easy for me to approve the expenses without having to ask a ton of questions or look through a lot of receipts.

Edy from Movable

April 2015

Seamless Integration, Quick Pay-Backs, Easy to use!

We recently transitioned from a method of expense filing via Excel Spreadsheets, to using Abacus and I couldn't be happier with the expediency and ease of use of the platform. I definitely would recommend it to any company (regardless of size) with expense reporting and reimbursement needs.

Steve from Synek, Inc.

Keeps me organized

It has changed the way we expense things. We used to all have separate cards and it cost us a lot on personal expenses slipping through. With there was an alert system when certain limits were crossed. There probably is.

Deepti from IBM INDIA PVT LTD

Easy to get every information in short and simple way

Pros

UI is good Linked to vast database of clients Advancement is applied Summarized info can be utilized in better way

Cons

Selection of data fields could be more as as per the categories. Here requires more enhanced details of land survey.

Zachary from SYNEK

Startup Gold

Having come from a few corporate gigs, and suffering through their frustrating and antiquated expense systems, Abacus was a breath of fresh air. It's very, very easy to use.

Daniel from Boxed

Best expense reimbursement tool!

Abacus makes reimbursement for work-related expenses a breeze. The site is extremely user-friendly and the reimbursements show up in people's banks quickly.

Great tool but not perfect

Pros

Abacus is an interesting tool and definitely innovates within the space. It has helped many people with its work.

Cons

Although it helps people, the UI can always use some improvement to keep it from being slow. New integrations would also be welcome.

J from Foursquare

May 2015

Expenses made easy - for real

My company used Abacus, and it makes putting in expenses super painless. Literally takes under 1 min from your phone. Solved a huge pain point for our organization.

Mohamad from BSICONS

Deal with them in SAP B1

Pros

Availability in many countries, have many industry specific experiences, charge reasonable manday rate

Cons

Usually depend on one senior resources who never changed and many junior resources who sometimes changed

Jeremy from Kinnek

Solid expense reporting software

Pros

Very easy to download and get started. Pretty intuitive to submit basic expenses and get refunded quickly.

Cons

Seems like there are excessive required fields but at least it's easy to use so not that big a deal.

Mike from PerformLine

Abacus Review

Pros

It is very easy to use and straightforward. Also enjoy the design of the interface and its aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Cons

Really nothing. It does everything I need it to, easily. Maybe make the charts section a little more detailed. Looks pretty basic.

Anna from SYNEK

We love Abacus!

Abacus has made the expensing process very easy and efficient. We do not have to wait as long to get reimbursed.