Feature Ratings Breakdown

Funtionality

• Pros

• "works as advertised, syncs with my bank and keeps my invoices in one place. also my CPA loves that I use a tool since it makes her life easier. "

• "I like that it's so versatile in its platform. Mac or PC. The cost was much lower than competing software and fit the needs of our small business. "

• "Simple interface, and easy to use for small and medium size of business "

• "Billy is a great hassle free accounting app. It is very easy to use and becomes more intuitive as you use it."

• Cons

• "There is nothing I dislike about the software so far. "

• "I felt like there could be more options a little more in depth. But the customer service is great!"

• "The invoice template is hard to change and hard to customize."

• "The reconciliation part of Billy is a bit cumbersome and difficult to learn. I believe a little more use and learning will make this easier."

Filter reviews by:

Sort by: Most Helpful | Most Recent

Showing 1-20 of 145 reviews

Do you use this product?Write a review

Billy vs Freshbooks

Overall, I am using Billy because of the lifetime deal I have for it. It provides a substantial savings over the monthly cost for Freshbooks. However, without the features, workflow, and integrations that I have come to rely on for my business, I make up for the cost with my time (or a less efficient business). For the cost, I can't complain and even then, Billy really is a nice piece of software for managing quotes, invoicing, and payments.

Pros

I purchased a lifetime deal of Billy through AppSumo, which is really the only reason I am using it. Admittedly, my experience with Billy is colored by me being a longtime user of Freshbooks (which I was very happy with!), so perhaps I had a set of expectations coming into Billy. That being said, Billy is a nice software that gets the job done. They've recently implemented Paypal payments, which I couldn't believe was missing, but so glad it's here, as I have many clients who prefer to pay that way. It shows that they listen to feedback and are actively working on their roadmap. Another plus I appreciate is that you can collect signatures for quote approvals, which is nice.

Cons

However, the two pros mentioned above, Paypal and the quotes functionality, have a flip side.

The downside to Paypal is that I can't offer the option on an invoice for clients to pay via Paypal or credit card, I can only offer one or the other -- which completely defeats the purpose! Ideally, I would offer clients as many options as possible, since I don't know in advance which way they would prefer to pay. So, in order to continue to offer payment via Stripe, I can't use the (much anticipated!) Paypal feature.

For quotes, it's not immediately apparent in the UI when a quote has been accepted (you have to navigate to each one individually and open it, and even then, it's not glaringly obvious). When you have multiple open quotes, this is a waste of time to continually be checking in this way. There is an option to be notified via email when a quote is accepted, but for a while this wasn't working. I ended up missing a few quote acceptances.

I have also run into some weird glitches when setting up payment options. Customer support was pretty slow to respond via email, and I had to follow up multiple times to get any sort of closure on my issue.

The biggest con for me (and this is only because I am used to Freshbooks) is that there is no integrated timekeeping feature. I had to search high and low to find a cost-effective solution to track time against projects.

Limited features, but excellent for those features

Prior to using Billy, I was using Freshbooks. Their prices skyrocketed recently, with no real improvement in features or other details which warranted the price hike. That's the reason I came to Billy, but then I was happy to see that something else was the happy result -- I get paid faster. Freshbooks invoices and the system for logging in, paying, viewing, printing, etc., must have been tedious for my clients, because the same clients getting Billy invoices, click and pay MUCH more rapidly, with FEW hiccups in the process. Simply put, with the same business, and the same clients, I get paid more often, more quickly, and with less administrative time. That's a huge win.

Pros

The ease of use, the simplicity of getting started, the clean and minimal look of the invoice templates.

Cons

There are not many bells and whistles, and that's what makes this program so simple and easy to use, but this also means some very useful features are absent -- features which are NOT complicated and should be the norm. For instance, there are two (2) features which are not overly complicated, and yet, would be very useful, if we had them:

1) Let us hyperlink a term, with a URL. I am invoicing for content, and need to reference a URL where this content can be reviewed. I must cut and paste the URL as plain text, and cannot hyperlink it to the URL. This is tedious and looks amaturish.

2) Let us have a text / narrative / summary field at the BOTTOM of the invoice, instead of the top. There is a "message box" at the top of the invoice template, which positions itself immediately under the client's address. This is great for a simple greeting or other short message, but what we really need is this same feature at the bottom of the invoice, also, as a summary, or to include a narrative of some kind that gives a bit more detail on the invoice charges, or confirms a special arrangement or a message between me and my client, which may be too long to put at the top, where it gets in the way of the most important information -- the invoice details / charges.

Fantastic. The competitors can't keep up.

Pros

The best thing about Billy is the ease of use. Now usually ease of use means "it doesn't do much."
WRONG, this is a powerful bookkeeping program. I recommend it to all my clients. You could invest more in other programs, spend time trying to figure them out, set it up wrong, pay a consultant and then only use a small portion of it, but with Billy you can do it all. (If you want they have a list of accountants and bookkeepers who use Billy and can help - but you won't need their help.)

The other big PRO is that this software is rapidly and constantly improving.

Additionally, they have a community of users who are very active in helping one another. This community also provides suggestions on how the software can improve and Billy listens. Go ask for improvements with any competing accounting software packages and you'll find you're wasting your time. Billy listens and then acts.

Bottom Line: If you are an entrepreneur you don't want to waste time or money get Billy. You don't want your employees to waste time or money get Billy. If you want to keep track of your money get Billy. If you have time or money to waste get some other program and THEN when that doesn't work like you wanted it to get Billy.

Cons

The one thing that I like least about Billy is that they don't connect with every bank. Granted, I use a small regional bank, but it is my bank and I get special treatment at my bank. I'm not going to give up Billy just because it doesn't (yet) interact with my bank.

Response from Billy of

Replied September 2018

We just updated our banks to include thousand more. Please try again to see if your bank is now supported.

Trevor from Graphic Art

For someone who struggles to keep the books, Billy became my new best friend overnight.

Joy beyond belief, My accounting and bookkeeping skills were causing me a nightmare, now, I actually sleep better knowing I'm on track, the product is awesome.

Pros

The Income and expense overview - I always know where my money is and isn't, Creating Invoices is almost too easy, just enter the details, generate a PDF (with your company logo on), and email to the customer, done and dusted. Bills, scan, upload, everything in date order, I always know whatI've had to pay out, and to which customer to deliver their final invoice.
Top customers and Top vendors, AWESOME feature, s much information from these two tools can be streamlined, who is happiest with what I do, who do I need to check in with so I don't lose a client, cost per vendor, find a cheaper better way to save money, yet maintain the same level of service I've personally come to expect, always streamlining :)
Seriously, this is the greatest app in my arsenal, don't believe me, TRY IT FOR YOURSELVES, Billy really does deserve a 10 star rating.

Cons

There are two things (one I know is happening), and one that would just be a cherry on the cake. The first is currently no way to link UK bank accounts, although I've been told that will appear hopefully Q2 this year, the only other feature I feel is needed, is a personal diary/journal & a personal calendar. I do a lot of meetings, it would be great to integrate new clients and their idea's from the initial meeting as part of the historical process and the calendar because it's always a useful tool to share information with to whoever is working with you. There the only things that for me would make Billy the ultimate app for anyone.

Response from Billy of

Replied September 2018

Hi Trevor, We just updated our bank technology and will likely support your UK bank. Please try to connect it again. -Billy

Art from Art Remnet Smart Marketing Coach Mastermind Mentor

Easy to use Accounting Foundation, Impressive Road Map

Billy is a small business accounting lifesaver. I love how Billy saves me time in day-to-day operations and keeps me compliant with my books. My accountant even loves Billy (and she used to recommend that "books" software). Thank you Billy!

Pros

For the first time in 20+ years accounting is not a frustrating and overly expensive task. Billy has provided my companies a easy to use and nearly complete solution that does not cost a fortune or hold me hostage. Using Billy has saved me countless hours each month for the past 18 months. It's streamlined and logical workflows, dead simple invoicing, and reasonable fees make Billy a real winner for small business.

Cons

The only gotcha with Billy is their integration with PayPal accounts is not as clean as it could be. The company is on the right track and should have this issue resolved shortly. The support team at Billy has been fantastically helpful and understanding. They not only know accounting, they know how to help people.

Andres from AndresVernazza.com

Great tool but needs some improvement

I definitely like the tool, but it needs some improvements in terms of giving more control over the numbers to the users. Delete, void, etc.

Pros

I loved it once they connected the banks integration. This makes it very easy to do a reconciliation with your bank. The interface is great, and the reporting works good too.

Cons

It should be more customizable and we should be able to remove "unreconciled entries". Currently the only way to remove those is by uploading a .csv file which make is very time consuming to get everything up to date. Also we should be able to break a payment into different customers. For instance, I import payments from Stripe, but I have to attribute all the payments to the same person because of Billy limitations.

Carolyn from Self-Employed

An accounting tool with a lot of potential

Pros

First and foremost, I really appreciate that the development team are working so hard to make their users happy and constantly improve this tool.

I purchased this tool last summer during an Appsumo sale knowing that I would probably need to wait a little while to implement Billy into my business. At the time, it didn't offer features that I required for invoicing, tax management and bookkeeping.

I implemented this tool a little over a month ago and have been fairly happy since then. The dashboard is easy to navigate and once I got the hang of how to properly account for multiple currencies it was even easier.

I've reached out several times to support and have typically received prompt responses, though they are not always helpful (received links to help pages without images or tutorial videos that definitely used to have those support tools embedded). As with most support teams, patience is important.

Overall, I think Billy has the potential to be a really great small biz accounting tool and I've decided to stick around because of this. My plan is to reassess the software and how it is meeting my needs at the end of 2018 and decide if this is still the right fit for my business.

Cons

I really, really need the ability to add and track multiple tax lines. I'm in the process of figuring out a workaround, but it will likely mean tracking some of my income through a separate tool.

I also wish that the weekly office hour meetings (or a summary) could be made available in an archive for those that can't attend.

I really like it but,,

Pros

One of the most wonderful intuitive accounting software in the world, very good and great features especially for tracking​ invoices and payments. However, they suddenly​ stopped supporting the worldwide​ customer and just accept the north Ameria countries, even they asked their current customers from the other countries to stop their subscription​ and to move to another company!!

Cons

They have an App for registering the expenses from bill and invoices directly from your phone, very useful​ especially when using the camera from the App to confirm the bills.

Ed from Healthcare

A simple solution that inexpensively provides all the functionality of the big guys

I really like the electronic invoice transmittal - it adds a lot of validity to my company, as does the ability to pay electronically.

Pros

Billy is very easy to use, with lots of tutorials to help you set it up correctly, the first time.
As a cloud-based solution, it can be accessed from anywhere, on any platform.
It has all the functionality needed in an accounting platform, at a very inexpensive price.
The team is constantly developing/tweaking areas within the application, providing even more functionality while making it even easier to use.

Johnathan from Clickitivity, Inc

Simple, But Powerful

I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to switch to Billy. I've been using the software for a little over two months. I've developed some pros that I thought set Billy apart from some its competitors. Additionally, I've provided some cons to make people aware. PROS: - Ridiculously easy to use. - The ability to reconcile -- most invoicing and billing softwares do not have this, and if they do, it's extremely complicated and hard to use. - Customer portal (where customers can see past and current invoices -- paid, outstanding, and overdue) - Recurring invoices - Automatically import bills into billy by forwarding them to a Billy email address - AMAZING customer service. All of the questions and concerns I've had have been addressed extremely quickly. CONS: - Some features are lacking While Billy has a ton of amazing features, there are some features that they lack. See below: - There is no CC option when sending recurring or regular invoices. In order to send to more than one person, you need to manually choose the contact and send. This can be extremely inconvenient for people who have a lot of recurring invoices that get sent regularly to more than one contact within an organization. - It's a pain to reconcile batch invoices. If you have any sort of payment gateway that batches transactions into one lump sum (stripe), it's a little time consuming to reconcile. Evan generously provided me with a guide on how to do it, but it takes quite a bit of extra work than it does with normal transactions. - There are no recurring bills. If you have bills that you usually get every month, you need to manually put them in each time you get them. - There is no option to take out Billy branding within the invoices you send.

Nate from Growth|Media

Simple Invoicing

5/10. It works, it's simple, but it doesn't give me all the option and tools that I would like when it comes to integrating and designing invoices. They just don't match up with the design scheme of my company and because of that, we have switched services, although it should be said, it's been a lot higher of a learning curve with more the complex platforms we've switched to.

Pros

A basic, fairly easy to use platform for creating and managing invoices. It's utility is fine, it does allow my clients to pay us through their invoices. It's because of this, that I give it a mediocre rating. However, I think there is room for improvement.

Cons

This app lacks the design and integration capabilities of its competitors and they seem to have been experiencing some growing pains lately. The templates are basic and allow for minimal changes in font, some color, and logo changes; that is about it though.

Our company uses sales decks to issue quotes for projects and it would be great if I could integrate billy invoices into that, however design compatibility aside, billy invoices can only be structured vertically, not horizontally, which is how our deck are orientated. We've also experienced some glitches in notifications and connections to stripe, which is the processor they use.

Response from Billy of

Replied September 2018

Hi Nate, Thanks for your honest review. You are right that we are simpler than some of our competitors (though not any less powerful!). This is how we keep our costs low and our prices low for new entrepreneurs. It also helps small businesses who don't have accountants keep their books organized on a budget. I am sorry that our invoice designs didn't work out for you. It sounds like you have a design focused business and I can understand the need to have even more control over how your invoices look. Our invoice templates are clean and elegant and very customizable for most small businesses with levers for font type, color and style as well as logo placement and even background colors. Thanks again for giving us a try and best of luck with your business! -The Billy Team

Sunny from NewPulse Studios

Easy to use, but unsure of it's future

Overall, I have enjoyed using Billy, especially when I was just starting my business. I have been trying out all the major competitors lately, and was surprised that most miss some of the multi-currency features Billy has (other than the exchange rate issue). I would consider continuing to use Billy, but I am concerned about its future development. It feels more like a 1-2 man show that is just trying to keep its head above water, as opposed to software that is going to get better over time.

Pros

- Quick, easy to use interface
- Really easy to match imported transactions, even with foreign currencies
- Easily account for transfer fees, unlike other accounting software
- Handles multi-currency well, other than one fairly significant thing (see con list)

Cons

- exchange rate for foreign currency transactions is based on date of input, not date of transaction (this can be a big deal when reporting your taxes. Definitely let your accountant know)
- having issues with a certain bank feed
- can only have one live Paypal feed, meaning you can't associate different Paypal currencies with different accounts

Super simple quoting and invoicing

Pros

I've used a few different billing software platforms, and I actually quite like Billy. At first I thought it was a little bit too basic, but I soon realized that I don't need it to do anything complicated, and the simplicity is actually a nice change. I bought a lifetime deal on the software when it first came out, I don't think that's still available, but I like the fact that there is no monthly fee (at least for me).

Cons

There are a couple of things that I don't like much. The first is that I'd like to be able to present my invoice and bills on my own domain, instead of a having a customer click on billyapp.com. The second is that I'm unsure of the delivery rate for invoices and quotes that are emailed from the Billy platform. I've had a number of clients say they never got a quote or invoice from me, so I usually download a copy and send directly from my own email. It could just be user error, so take that with a grain of salt.

Ben from talenthire on-demand marketplace

SMB & Freelancers, BILLY TO THE RESCUE!

So far, I’m satisfied. They do the hard work at keeping track of business revenue p&l and also tracking receipts 🧾 via their mobile app. Just scan and upload to their website. I personally love this app and think it will help me grow my company to the next level. Your Bookkeeper will love it too, as it has easy exports for your business data & taxes.

Pros

The ease of use and it’s integration with Stripe. Easily setup your products or services, and create recurring invoices to your clients. They make payment easy too!

Cons

Stripe fees, but that’s not their fault. Would like to see a PayPal integration since it’s just as easy as a Stripe integration.

Matthew from Matthew Rupp Consulting

Customer service was terrible. Very frustrating. Tried hard to make it work for several days

Pros

Looks pretty. Wish I could have used it. Looks amazing from the surface. Customer support was terrible.

Cons

I don't know WHEN I have more frustrated with a companies 'service'. VERY frustrated. I was excited about this deal and jumped right on it. I tried syncing with my Cap One Spark business account (from my phone) and it didn't work so I emailed asking if this really wasn't an option. I got a list of 9501 banks emailed to me NOT in alphabetical order. What am I supposed to do with that?

I tried the chat option and explained when I added my cap one account it pulled in my PERSONAL banking details and not my business accounts which made no sense. They told me to talk to cap one, which I did.

Then I tried adding my business account info again and it kept reverting back to my previously synched personal accounts. Frustrating. So I went ahead and added my personal bill account and then deleting it and hoping that would work. Nope.

I tried calling over and over and it was always busy. They take forever to respond on chat and were not helpful at all. I finally got ahold of them and they said they dont have phone support.

Free support
Email: support@billyapp.com
Phone: (800) 241-7365
Help center: www.billyapp.com/support

That's right on the dashboard when new users sign in. I get ahold of them via chat and Joshua suggesting 'bombing' the account and starting over which I did. He said 24 hours later I could try again and hopefully it would work that time. Even though nobody did anything to help it work the next time but maybe so.

Here we are over 24 hours later and, of course, it pulls up my personal (not business) info.

I give up. Incredibly frustrated by the terrible response, being sent a list of 10k sites to dig through, being given a number they DON'T answer, having chat and not being very available.

James from RocketstarMedia

An Amazing Alternative to Other Accounting Programs

I have really simplified my workflow using Billy. It's been a great tool to use to set up recurring invoices for some of my clients.

Pros

What I like the most about Billy is the ease of use. It's simple to get started and get your bank accounts set up and create invoices, quotes, etc.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is that I have two businesses that I use Billy with and because it's cloud based I have to log into two differnt accounts, one with chrome and the other with firefox. It makes it complicated if you have more than one business as you will need different log-ins and subscriptions. It would be awesome if they could expand it to contain multiple businesses with the ability to simply click on the business name and change to another business.

Response from Billy of

Replied September 2018

Hi James, You can actually have one account with multiple organizations. With that setup, you can have one login for all of your orgs. Please contact our support to help you set that up.

Gary from Growth Dynasty

Has excellent potential but still has some way to go!

It makes complex accounting simple.

Pros

Billy provides a simple solution for accounting that is specifically designed for freelancers and agencies. It has a great user interface and is very easy to use. It is solid and I have never had a problem with.

Cons

The fact that key features have taken so long to evolve. I am talking about no PayPal integration and the fact that bank syncing has only just arrived in my country. The most annoying thing is that whilst key features are lagging behind the team are investing users money in having season Billy logos designed, which quite frankly is ridiculous. Their community management needs work as well.

Response from Billy of

Replied September 2018

Hi Gary, You didn't like our pumpkin head Billy face :(

Angelos from ASP SFAKIANAKIS

I have "install" Billy to my clients. No worries from then!

Loyalty from my clients, Easy access to help and advice them for they everyday matters. Clean data with easy exports for further analysis.

Pros

Simplicity, clean interface and free customizing of Chart of accounts.
Lot options for exporting in xls format (i love excel).

Cons

It have some minor things about local settings and shortcuts but it minor things! Thanks to friendly support i don't worry.

Edward from Hong Kong Baptist University

Billing Clients made Simple and Easy

I just love Billy. The name is great. The interface design is great. And it is easy to generate and track invoices.

Pros

Billy has such a memorable name yes, it is for billing. I love the ease of creating invoices and Billy does the hard job of accounting and tracking. Plus,

Cons

New features are rolling out too slow. Perhaps, I live in a place where there is no sale tax. However, the invoices created by Billy must include a lot stating Tax = 0 dollar in the past which just was got rid of lately.