BlackLine

BlackLine Reviews

RATING:

• icon"There are lots of functionality to help with things like Journal Entries, and reconciliations and lots of automation processes."
  • icon"From Account reconciliation, to matching, and bank reconciliation...I loved this software the more I used it. I even tried to find an open position to work for them."
  • icon"Great product overall with a lot of features and available room for customization. Offers great workflow management on top of the automation features."
  • icon"It's not intuitive to click on cancel if you want to exit after making a change."

Browse all BlackLine Reviews

• Have you used BlackLine and would like to share your experience with others?

Balázs

Industry: Mining & Metals

Good tool for account reconciliation in a GBS center

We started using it to replace our old client-server based software to support the month-end GL reconciliation process for various entities in our global company.

Pros

Due to the cloud technology it is available from anywhere. It could be really useful if you should manage GL reconciliation for many entities with different ERPs (it was our case) Easy to use interfaces, very good support. Can support the internal or external audit procedure and can reduce its cost. Auto-certification is sophisticated with several customization possibilities.

Cons

The implementation was a bit longer than expected (it was also because of our internal resources). With our current setup line level info cannot be loaded, so Excel sheets - as attachments - are remained after go live.

KEELY

Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Once you have it, you won't want to be without it

I don't have a single bad thing to say about this software. The company I work for now doesn't have it, and I really wish we did. I miss it every day! It is a great month end tool. Nothing better in my opinion. For corporations looking to get a better understanding of your account balances - this was wonderful. Asking and waiting for information was a thing of the past, when all you had to do is log in and pull up an account to see it's balance and supporting detail.

Pros

I LOVE this software. As an accountant, there is no better tool at month end to get your accounts reconciled. Account Reconciliation becomes a breeze, and It makes those dreaded audits not so horrible. Everything is neatly tucked into a software, where the auditors can be set free (in their own approved audit login of course). From Account reconciliation, to matching, and bank reconciliation...I loved this software the more I used it. I even tried to find an open position to work for them!

Cons

When you get started, its like anything, you learn how it all works. In the beginning the only con for me was the level of help (this was back when this software started). But now there are so many online tools to help you with any questions you may have. And their customer service is great and helpful. Super easy to submit a ticket for an issue, and response time was great.

Cansu

November 2022

I tried but it is not suitable for me

Pros

It doesn't quite fit my work process. I am someone who can work with a more customizable and flexible product. Its functionality didn't appeal to me, but its customer support won my heart.

Cons

Integration is poor. And the billing process was not very professional.

Blackline Integration with Data Management Software such as SAP

Since SAP has been integrated with BlackLine, reconciliations every day+5 of the month end processes are a lot easier. Variances and discrepancies are easily dealt with. Blackline has only been limited to its functions as well as the real-time processing of data.

Pros

It is a web-based application for performing account balances reconciliation which can be easily integrated with other financial software such as SAP.

Cons

The software is limited to reconciliations and intercompany transactions wherein the vast majority of software are investing on in-memory capacity and cloud for more flexible transactions.

Debby

Great tool for balance sheet recs!

Pros

It provides visibility and consistency to balance sheet recs. Fairly easy to use. Several different templates available pre-built.

Cons

Some of the different screens have the Save button in different places which can be a bit frustrating.

Recommend to accounting departments going paperless

Going paperless.

Pros

I like how easy it is to see unidentified balances for each account from the main page, giving you a screenshot of where to spend your time. I used it mostly for insurance amortizations, and the schedules make it easy to do once entered, and the balances closes on the day indicated.

Cons

Not a big deal but small functional things such as having to save a schedule and then clicking cancel in order to exit out. It's not intuitive to click on cancel if you want to exit after making a change.

Awesome software direct and to the point

Pros

At a glance, all the gl account balance is there. You can also upload the report from SAP into blackline so that reconciliation can be done easier. And the approval can just easily approve the ledger at least me go. Allows you to store excel sheet inside so that approval can review it easily.

Cons

It might get be better if the blackline team is able to get back shortly after we upload the ledger balance maybe within an hour or so. This will surely reduce the time we need to take to complete the reconciliation within the timeframe.

Kelsi

Industry: Veterinary

March 2022

I hope there is a better reconciliation software out there

We had an awful implementation, so i'm sure I'm a bit biased. The Blackline team was not responsive and it took much longer than it should have to implement. There is also not very good customer service options, so any issues that we have are not fixed in sufficient time.

Pros

It allows for uploadable data and syncs with our bank and Intacct.

Cons

This is the clunkiest software I've ever used. It's not really intuitive and seems like it's dated back from the 90s. It does the job, but I feel like they should really focus on their user interface.

Records for Closing All In One Place

Having all the financial and accounting work/evidence kept at one place for auditing

Pros

The audit trail functionality that is system certified and option to allow auditors to review closing activities like monthly bank reconciliation, monthly payroll registers, monthly meeting minutes, etc.

Cons

The useful interface's design isn't as fluid as one would like but you get use to it after a using it as your day to day work.

Has some good functionality but implementation is harder than expected

Pros

Great place to centralize reconciliations and journalling etc as opposed to spreadsheets and google docs

Cons

Connectivity with ERP, in our case Netsuite, is a lot more complicated than how it is sold with a loyt of additional development and expense required

February 2022

Blackline

Pros

I recently starting using Blackline. I am set up to be using it as an administrator. I am learning more about the program, and so far, it has been a good experience. There are lots of functionality to help with things like Journal Entries, and reconciliations and lots of automation processes.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about Blackline so far. With that being said, I am pretty new to the program and still getting adapted to it.

Thomas

Good Reconciliation software

I was an admin that implemented this reconciliation software at a previous company to prepare reconciliations. It really helped organize our closing process. Highly recommend.

Pros

Great way to organize monthly reconciliations

Cons

There is a learning curve, like everything.

Renata

Much to improve

Pros

I use this in monthly accounts reconciliations. Great tool for store data and for making the summary of balances in accounts.

Cons

There is too many fields to fill, many not needed options. When users have many accounts assigned Blackline is realy slowly.

Hui

Great Product with a lot of features

Pros

Cons

No cons to mention. Not sure how many other products are out there that offer the same type of financial solution that Blackline offers, but Blackline is a solid product.