What are Canopy users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Canopy software through verified user reviews

• icon"I love that it's so user friendly and the customer service is great. I love that they are always contacting us about new ideas to integrate into the program and they have implemented them."
  • icon"Ability to have a real database of clients. Ability to collect fees through Stripe integration with Canopy."
  • icon"Canopy was very easy to implement and use, it saved alot of time and space as far as filing and was very convenient for a secure upload area for clients."
  • icon"The company said I could try the product and cancel for up to 6 months. They now are refusing to cancel."
  • icon"Lack of charts showing all clients and the status of their case. This may be because I don't pay for all the bells and whistles."
  • icon"I've had trouble using the transcripts feature - possibly user error. Found it somewhat easier to call IRS and get the transcripts."

Browse all Canopy Reviews

• Have you used Canopy and would like to share your experience with others?

Danny

Canopy takes the headaches out of client management by offering a way to keep client info organized.

Improved practice management and time management. As well as a simple way for clients to securely share their files with me.

Pros

That all client info, files, communication, notes, and tasks are in one application. It has helped eliminate the need to jump around from application to application to find the info I need to manage all my clients accounts.

Cons

The task feature can use some updates in simplification and added features. I still prefer Jetpack Workflow to help manage my tasks until Canopy improves this feature. I also get frustrated that there isn't a way to simply email a file stored in Canopy to a client that maybe isn't using the portal feature, rather than downloading and adding to an email as an atachment,

Juventino

Good software with strong features and lots of promise at a pricey point.

My overall experience with Canopy has been a good one thus far. Even though I bitch about the cost l, I continue to stay because of the ease of use, simplicity for my clients, and automation I’ve created within my tech stack.

Pros

The best feature is the client portal and mobile app. It has been a business transformation blessing from way before COVID was ever a thing. I remember way back in 2017 when the mobile app was nearly launching how it revolutionized the way my clients do business with me. This is what has kept me on Canopy in spite of the price hikes.

Cons

Canopy recently has changed their pricing model and I don’t like it because it increases the barriers to tax professional adoption. There are other titles out there who bring good feature sets and a much lower price point and has given me reason to start shopping elsewhere. What keeps me at Canopy is not wanting to invest the time in moving my clients files over to a new system, notifying my clients that I virtually moved virtual offices, and avoiding the headaches of all the client questions that would ensue.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

I wanted a more integrated experience and an online only software. Taxaroo left me desiring a better client portal experience and way back in 2016-2017 their offering was not as strong as CanopyTax.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

I wanted a good tax management experience and the one provided by Canopy was superior to other competitors at that time around 2016-2017.

Brielle

Canopy is the Admin on our team!

we have been with Canopy for several years and starting out they did not have the features they do now. They are very responsive with feature requests and we really like the improvements they have made. Canopy is constantly improving the user environment and making a better product.

Pros

Canopy allowed us to grow our client base without having to add additional personnel. using canopy tasks to track where the team members are, and to take notes, and hold communications (emails) we can assist each other when answering client questions. This way clients aren't playing phone tag with one individual. The file storage with client portal allows the clients to access their documentation 24/7/365 eliminating the need to email documents back and forth.

Cons

Unfortunately Canopy does not sync with QuickBooks desktop.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

Canopy is specifically geared for accountants and had the features we needed for our Bookkeeping clients

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Trello really only let us track tasks. we switched for the more robust features and the client portal available in Canopy.

Josie

Disappointed

Canopy seems to have lost its way in regards to its purpose. Their response to issues is slow, at best. We have been using the software for almost 4 years and have made the painful decision to change due to a lack of support and increased pricing.

Pros

We liked the ability to access the software/information from anywhere.

Cons

The software does not allow you to export a sorted contact list. A very simple option that has been neglected.

Dustin

Customer Service is Terribly - This Company is too new to meet deadlines

Purchased a license in order to use their Tax Prep software (NOT the tax management software - ability to track clients and manage the funnel of taxes). Was told everything would be ready in time, and I ensured they knew I was only buying now because the Tax Prep software was going to finally be ready. (They told me 4 different dates for when this would be ready as I've been working with their sales for 2 years, waiting for them to get things together). Jumped in and decided to make them our company for our tax prep business, and everything went wrong. Salesperson we worked with had quit, implementation team was slow, and then I got off the phone with a support person who casually mentioned that the tax software was tossed out for this year. We had no clue, completely SOL as we have 4 weeks until tax season started and had to rush to find another company. All done without an apology, just "oh that's funny, I thought everyone knew that we couldn't get the software ready", even though we were assured that it would be - for a quick sale I imagine. Lots of back and forth with different support team members. We had been paying for two months and getting everything switched to their platform - which took an enormous amount of time and effort from our people, just to be told they won't have it ready for us and we will not receive a refund. I told the support manager before about this review being posted and was told I "might get a call back" for help.

Pros

The software is cloud based and therefore easy to access.

Cons

The company consistantly made promises that they were unable to uphold. Pushbacks on product releases that we desperately needed, and no refund for their mistakes. Not the company you want to go with when you need something dependable. They're a tax company which makes it even more absurd that they mess around with deadlines.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

We thought they would be able to deliver everything to us at a decent price.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

We counted on Canopy and they totally blew it.

Alison

Where to start

There are other options out there and I could easily stick w sharefile. However I wanted to up my game and show my clients a better higher tech experience. As you know, solopreneurs have a hard time competing w the small to middle size firms. Seems like you need to up your game or at least let me know about your game!

Pros

Clients like the portal. It has helped improve the perception that my firm cares about their info. It also feels very organized. It is easy to set up a portal.

Cons

Yegads, what to me seems like obvious items, the organizer doesn’t roll over from prior year to current year. Your current solution is for me to set up customer accounts for each member of a family unit. This seems dumb and a waste of accounts, my and my team’s time, my money and the client perception and experience. If i as a customer was asked by my firm to re enter all prior year into, I would be beyond annoyed. I would wonder what kind of high tech experience Alison isn’t offering me. As a customer, I would also be less inclined to complete it because It is a waste of my time. Your customer service and training library aren’t helpful. Since it is very self serve, I have no idea what to look for in terms of better ways to use canopy because I don’t know what I don’t know. You let us all know at the innovation summit about the 100 new features you have rolled out. My admin and I were dumbfounded to learn this. How did we not know About the cool ways you are trying to make my life better? Do you offer monthly training or “ask me anything” webinars that don’t require me to pay extra or upgrade to a higher level. If you do, why don’t I know about them? If you don’t, why don’t you? It seems like you would help me have a better experience with the software and keep me as a recurring customer. Also, it is hard as nails to get requests followed up on. Customer service isn’t great.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

The product seemed like a great entry way to start. It seemed easy to use. And it looked cool for my clients. I have appreciated how the portal seems organized. Some of my clients have told me it is hard to use. Would like some ideas on how to help my clients want to use it rather than. Email me their private info.

SHELLEY

Industry: Law Practice

Great for Tax Resolution practices!

Overall Canopy has made our office more streamlined and efficient. It has allowed us to work remotely which has been so important during this past year.

Pros

Canopy is very user friendly with many great features. It has allowed our firm to go paperless. Given the fact that the IRS is paper driven, that says a lot! Customer support is excellent for everything from asking for help to utilize functions or suggesting changes!! The Canopy app is excellent as well which allows us to access our client files no matter where we are.

Cons

The cons are minor but I wish I had the option to dress up my "Notes" with highlighting and using different color text to break up the notes.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

We liked that Canopy was a new company when we started with them. I have read numerous reviews that PitBull lacks good customer service. Good customer service has been so necessary for us and this is where Canopy excels!

Nicole

Review of Canopy - 1 month in

I like Canopy and I'll continue to use it. I'm glad I'm working on the conversion in November rather than Feb/March. I expect to have everything perfect by the chaos of tax season.

Pros

I love the portal and the client/entity set up. I love that everything related to my workflow is in Canopy (except the tax return). It's very nice to have everything in one system.

Cons

The syncing with QBO hasn't been as easy as I'd like, but that may be an Intuit issue as well. There are issues when duplicate clients are created and you merge them. If the client was already linked in Canopy, that link is broken and I don't know how to recreate it. I hear that a function to sync specific clients in Canopy is coming soon and that should resolve my issue. I haven't been able to pull a transcript yet. I keep getting "Pull Failed". I'm not sure if this in an IRS issue or Canopy. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

TaxDome didn't have the tax transcripts. Karbon looked very complicated.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

I wanted a system that did everything. Canopy has the CRM, task management and the document management together. The tax transcripts functionality was a big deciding factor as well.

Denise

Canopy Software

Pros

We loved the Emails, Task management & calendar are all in one software.

Cons

Canopy DOES NOT have our states so we can't do any returns, We don't like that the clients can't both sign their signature forms if they are married. We also didn't like that In the middle of tax season we had to go back to an old software because the desktop Assistant stopped working on us.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

We liked that in making the program it based off of other CPA, Accountants etc. We wanted thing all in one place instead of opening a bunch of software, emails & calendars.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

We thought we Canopy had everything we needed in one software

Steven R

"The future is now!"

Saves us time with client and task tracking. No more chasing spreadsheets and lists.

Pros

Extremely responsive customer service with lots of great customization to help keep your workflow on task. One stop shop to keep track of your workflow while maintaining client data and files. Endless opportunities due to constant upgrades and add-ons. We are currently migrating our entire firm onto the platform and utilizing the client portal feature to exchange information and save on printing, customer requests and storage options. Most impressive is their constant interaction asking how they can improve and getting feedback on new features.

Cons

I really don't have any dislikes, and if something is a little clunky with a layout or usability they are usually upgrading or fixing it. I'm excited to see tax software so I guess I dislike not having it? The tax software would plug another hole and add well to the transcript and tax form resolution features.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

Best bang for the buck and most aggresive in creating new content.

Kurt

Constant Improvements

Canopy is very useful as it is, but this company seems dead set on always improving its operation & structure. At least monthly, I get an opportunity to view what is new on Canopy and what they are working on next. I can keep my finger on the pulse of my clients so I can quickly respond to their expectations.

Pros

When my client's upload documents to the portal, Canopy lists that activity, I click on it, and I am able to take action on it right away.

Cons

I would like to be able to adjust the timekeeper when I start it or while it is running.

Price and ease of use.

Canopy is a good option- not sure if they are the best though.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say it is a 6.5 or a 7. There are many functions that make this very easy to use, however, as time passes the development team decides to take the ease of use and make it more challenging. Too much focus on making the interface "pretty" and not enough on actual items that make productivity better.

Pros

The product is simple to use. However, Canopy likes to make changes to items that do not need any changes. In doing so, they break their own system for several days and the new function isn't worth the hassle. Transcripts are now significantly more complicated and time-consuming to get to.

Cons

The fact that the backend team decides to make changes as to what they think is best for the client. Most of their changes do not have any positive effect on how we operate the practice and only make things more challenging and frustrating to use.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Pitbull was terrible in terms of being user-friendly.

Jay

Canopy

Best Software compared ot its Peers.

Pros

This Software makes my Firm efficient and I cannot see running my practice without this software.

Cons

Software has trouble reading some MAC Files.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

Ease of Use and Customization Options.

Al

Practice Management

Overall, Canopy is a good tool for client relationship management. Using the task list is a great tool to make sure deadlines do not get overlooked.

Pros

Canopy makes it easy to securly share tax sensitive documents with clients.

Cons

Getting transcripts from the IRS using Canopy can be a challenge.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

I use Tax Help Software. Canopy made it much easier to impliment the file sharing system than the other choices.

Anne-Marie

Canopy - Firm Saving

Love Canopy! Decreases the time I am spending on administrative task.

Pros

Canopy allowed us to flex during the pandemic by offering our clients an easy client portal to use. The clients were able to share their documents for tax preparation. Our firm was then able to upload tax returns for their review. And the e-sign function for the 8879 was amazing. My favorite part is the transcript function to pull clients data from IRS. The transcript report package a professional document to provide to the client that is branded to our firm.

Cons

Haven't discovered any cons with the package. They seem to always be one step ahead of my needs.

Amanda

Impressed Customer

It is so helpful in maintaining adequate project management and clear workflow for all staff.

Pros

Customer support. I have questions and suggestions all the time and I love that by using the chat support I get prompt answers and endless follow-up from support staff.

Cons

Transferring clients over created several duplicates and ultimately some lost information in the transition.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

I was not employed here during the time of the switch to this system but I am so glad it was made. The return to work was much smoother than my initial experience based on using this tool.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

The cost as well as the issues with timing projects and adjusting the cost of services based on the limitations in tracking work and communicating to other staff team needs.

Rui

Love the interface & ease of use

Overall positive as interface with client support in a timely fashion and actually helped suggest certain features of software

Pros

Clean & intuitive interface. Loved the navigation & how information was presented.

Cons

Missing certain fields of information that would make it stellar

Karen

Game changer

Pros

We luckily chose Canopy as our client portal system pre-pandemic. When the shut down occurred, we were ready to continue servicing our clients during this very termultuous time. AS we move forward from the pandemic, our clients have found they like having a single source to share documents virtually. We as a firm continue to develop our skills in Canopy and now use it for engagement letters, tax documents and any communications with our clients

Cons

Wish there could be better isolation of reminder emails or emails when a client performs as action.

Reasons for choosing Canopy

Pricing, ease of use and setup

Jessica

December 2021

Such a great option if you have the budget

I did the free trial and it was so nice to have all those features, but if you want to have access to everything you need to take out your wallet and pay a lot.

Pros

It's so easy to use, the interface is so slick and powerfull.

Cons

The price point is not for small tax practices just starting to build their portfolio on tax resolution

Reasons for choosing Canopy

Its the top of the top in office management and tax resolution management but you're limited to the basic functions if your clientele is under 200 and after that you have to pay a high price.

Julie

Loving our canopy portal

I love notes and I love that the emails populate, it keeps everyone in my office well informed

Pros

My clients keep telling me how easy canopy is to use! We love it! The files are fabulous, templates are easy. Can’t wait to have a moment to explore other functions we are not currently using

Cons

Some of the task templates are too detailed and my inbox gets loaded with emails I don’t want or need

Reasons for switching to Canopy

No e signature and canopy is much easier to use

Thaddeus

December 2021

Great Fit for Small Tax Practice!

My overall experience with Canopy is good! It fits my practice very well which makes me willing to overlook frustrations. Support has always been responsive and helpful which gives me confidence that, when issues arise, they will be taken care of.

Pros

The biggest draw for me is all the different functionalities integrated into one platform. Before I switched to Canopy, I had a secure client portal for file sharing, an e-signature product, and time and billing all in separate apps and platforms. With Canopy, I can do all of that in one workspace and auto-populate client demographic info in each of these areas. Another draw as the IRS transcript and tax resolution tools and templates. Canopy makes it easy to handle tax issues and notices as they come up. I now pull transcripts for most of my clients as a matter of course, and I can quickly and competently respond to notices.

Cons

I would like to see an improved engagement letter function that allows clients to select different packages or services levels. Something along the lines of what Practice Ignition and Karbon have done. That is really the only other platform I would consider adding alongside Canopy and my tax preparation software. The platform is also sometimes unresponsive and buggy. I have heard of but not yet experienced an extended outage. It seems Canopy has not fully matured as a company and will need to build more reliability into its platform.

Mary

December 2021

Very user friendly for the price.

Great for task management, document management, daily use, easy to learn and use

Pros

Easy to use, email/communication integration, Document storage unlimited

Cons

Email search function is less than ideal/doesnt work at all from within a client. Can't start Word/Excel files from within Canopy Wish it would also track time for each team member for the week - would make a secondary time and attendance unnecessary.

see above

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Ease of use, document storage, price

Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!

It's an excellent client database and portal.

Pros

Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

Cons

There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software: 1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone. 2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks. 3. Inability to print notes 4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.

Elisabeth

I have had an outstanding experience with Canopy!

Client satisfaction, reliable (and hopefully secure!) file-sharing. Potential to have a more efficient tax practice. I feel like i didn't have time to dive in to all feature fully during tax season, but hope to spend some time this Fall tinkering with the software.

Pros

Helping me organize the data and correspondence of 200+ tax clients. I got hooked by the fact that it keeps copies of all my email correspondence. But the biggest surprise was all the positive feedback I received from my clients about how easy it was to use, especially the file uploading. I had a previous product that was a complete nightmare. Around 40% of the clients who tried using it were unable to. Working on taxes brings up a lot of anxiety in people so anything I can do to make the experience smoother goes a long way. Having a reliable, user-friendly product to offer my clients feels GREAT!

Cons

Annual subscription fee that will likely increase as the product is continually enhanced. It's also a little hard to organize the accounts of married couples. They file a joint return so in many respects only need one account. But I like to correspond with both spouses and I haven't figured out a way to do that within one account. If I made one spouse's account inactive, it also deactivates their email address so I'm unable to correspond with them.

Antonietta

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

We all love the program! It has kept us better organized! It's so easy to use!

Canopy is easy and secure program to use to communicate with our clients. The uploading, tasks and engagement feature is used on a daily base in our office. I also, like the fact that we upload files in Canopy and make them visible or non-visible to our clients.

Pros

It's safe and secure. Clients are able to upload documents and the documents are saved their portal which as a result, keeps us better organized. The visible and not visible feature for files is a great feature because they are certain documents that the client doesn't need to see but are important for internal use. The task feature keeps us organized and we know exactly the status of each client. We are still learning Canopy capabilities and features.

Cons

Be able to move files from one client portal to another. We numerous clients whom keep uploading to the wrong portal because they have access to their individual and entity. I spend a lot of time downloading each file, saving it to me desktop and then dragging it over to the proper client portal. Not being able to delete a task from the client portal. If two people are in the same client portal and someone deletes and uploads a document we noticed that the client portal gets all discombobulated. Being able to print from the engagement feature conversations or files that were either uploaded from the client.

4.52/5 out of 151 reviews