Chargebee

Chargebee Reviews

RATING:

• icon"We had connected our Stripe account and were up and running in less than one hour. The reporting seems really in depth and excited to be able to run reports in many different ways."
  • icon"Robust platform from which you can build a large customer base with different types of subscriptions. High level of customization."
  • icon"Subscription management and dashboards are fair enough. Basic tools for managing invoices and payments are good."
  • icon"I never had this problem with my previous provider and they aren't even a billing or invoicing company."
  • icon"Missing the possibility to be able to add multiple invoice rovs to an invoice."
  • icon"So customers are confused as too why they got an email says they paid but no payments removed from their account."

All Chargebee Reviews

Ram

October 2022

Great product and even better Customer Support

We are efficient in new client onboarding and subscription processes because of Chargebee. We were manually raising invoices before but with Chargebee the process is simplified and very effective.

Pros

We have a SMB and Enterprise Sales team and use Chargebee for accounting and subscription purposes to great effect. Invoicing a new client is very easy and UI is super fluid. We have raised a couple of tickets when we encountered bugs but their Customer Success team got in touch with us and solved it within a day.

Cons

There were bugs (duplicate invoice created, client email not registering etc) these happen more frequently than we'd like. It's not that much of a problem because they get resolved super quick

February 2022

Everything is in there

Good. We used to do manual invoices separate from credit card invoices. Having a single billing systems improves efficiency and we have a single source of the truth with respect ti critical business KPI's.

Pros

I like that we can also do quotes from the system that customers can accept and it takes them to the checkout. Huge time-save for our sales team.

Cons

It's hard to do price indexation to subscriptions. It generates credits and credit notes that our customers initially don't understand without us explaining it.

Reasons for choosing Chargebee

Chargebee was more simple which suited are business. Chargify was good too. Conceptually they can address complexer issues but it also makes it harder to implement. They could also not support future billing.

Reasons for switching to Chargebee

Recurly was more expensive and could not give us a good deal to their enterprise plan as an existing customer.

Response from Chargebee

Thanks so much for your positive feedback Mark. We really appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed review! Your feedback enables us here at Chargebee to further develop our products and services. In addition, your review will help our future customers to make more informed purchase decisions. Please do not hesitate to share any other feedback you have in the future. Thanks again for being an advocate for Chargebee.

Replied April 2022

Sam

Industry: Civil Engineering

October 2022

Imperfect, but still pretty good

Mostly positive. Myself (non-technical) and my technical team have been able to integrate with our product and website with few issues aside from the previously mentioned requests. Also, my email with Chargebee is sam@beyondcad.com (old email) even though I have sam@beyondware.com listed here.

Pros

I'm able to handle my payment processing, recurring subscriptions, license validation, reports and more all from the same product.

Cons

Usually support is helpful but there have been a few times when the feature just isn't available and there was no timetable given as to when it could be added (or how I could make sure the development team received my request). Two examples- you can't hide the subscription amount when someone is signing up for a free trial and if you have a free trial assigned to a plan the user can't skip the free trial if they want to be charged immediately (you can help them with this on the backend, which adds friction).

Ryan

Grossly incompentant

If I could do things over again I would have selected a similar provider even if I was forced to pay several hundred dollars per month it would have obviously been worth it. Now I have to make the decision of whether I want to potentially lose over half my subscribers again like the last time I switched billing systems (to Chargebee) or accept that I'm locked in for life.

Pros

Easy to set up and has a good API. Support is good and fast response so long as the issues are simple and don't involve anything technical.

Cons

The backend system is grossly unoptimized to the point many of my customers cannot be billed anymore. I was not informed of these issues when signing up and was promised that the system would be able to handle my very specific usecase. It clearly can't despite me giving them actual numbers. I've already lost over $6000 in charges I can't add to my customers' invoices and a few thousand dollars in invoices that can't be generated. For the past two months I've been unable to add charges for any of my customers and keep getting the runaround by different support agents as to what the cause is. First I was told I was violating a 150 API calls per minute limit despite the fact that not a single call had gone through successfully in the entire time period they were citing but also I'm skeptical of because each API call I make to their service takes between 2 and 10 seconds to complete. Now I'm told I need to batch things weekly because adding charges to my customers is too taxing on their CPUs. Billing line items should scale linearly but it is clear from how quickly their API bogs down that it scales exponentially for them at best and likely even worse. I never had this problem with my previous provider and they aren't even a billing or invoicing company.

Reasons for switching to Chargebee

My previous provider shut down their billing service as it was not their core business and just an unsupported piece of software written over 10 years ago. I wish I was still with them after this experience.

giulio

April 2022

Chargebee experience

Pros

It's really easy to use and handles everything for you + it has great documentation for developers and I havem't encoutered any kind of bug which is truly amazing. Chargebee is basically perfect!

Cons

Didn't find any cons, maybe it can get confusing seen the amount of settings but there is documentation made to help you.

Reasons for switching to Chargebee

Patreon was hard to integrate as a developer.

Jo

March 2022

Great system, very easy for start ups

Despite not being able to afford many of the features our package is still totally fit for purpose and has helped our business grow since we were founded, and the cusotmer support is incredible.

Pros

This system is very simple to use and makes setting up subscription management for a tech start up simple. It provides great customer overview and we have it integrated using APIs and zapier into our CRM as well directly into our app to ensure that access and user numbers are controlled by whether a cusotmer has an active subscription.

Cons

There are a lot of amazing features that you can only access with much more expensive plans.

Response from Chargebee

Thanks so much for your positive feedback Jo. We really appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed review! Your feedback enables us here at Chargebee to further develop our products and services. In addition, your review will help our future customers to make more informed purchase decisions. Please do not hesitate to share any other feedback you have in the future. Thanks again for being an advocate for Chargebee.

Replied April 2022

Gaurav

May 2022

Excellent billing s/w for SaaS businesses.

The business problem we are solving with Chargebee is managing our Subscription-based billing and invoicing. It has streamlined it very well for us, bar a few hiccups here and there. The support has been tremendous and it has overall been a pleasant experience.

Pros

I loved the interface, and how easy it was to set things up for our subscription-based billing. Some of the things I really liked are creating plans, coupons, add-ons, sending payment links, updating invoices and customer info, AND how all of these work seamlessly with each other.

Cons

I would have liked more customisation in terms of invoicing, for eg: set a subscription and add add-hoc line items in it in the middle of the subscription cycle. Another thing which could be improved is the integration with our CRM (Hubspot). Plenty of times, the deal creation from Chargebee to Hubspot either didn't work, or worked differently from the expected behaviour, in spite of setting things up as instructed.

July 2022

Seamless subscriptions and recurring revenue

Pros

Chargebee allows our team to seamlessly manage subscriptions and recurring revenue. UI is simple and clear, with all the features required

Cons

We haven't had major issues with Chargebee in about two years of working with it

Matt

August 2022

Excellent product and service

It's been great to have more than an API as our billing provider. CB is a true partner.

Pros

Chargebee makes it painless to manage subscription billing on top of a payment processor or gateway, along with a modern interface from a team that "gets" SaaS. But the best part is their attention to you as a customer and their willingness to meet or exceed your expectations repeatedly. As a startup, this is invaluable.

Cons

As with any critical service, there are occasional data migrations or updates that must be navigated, but the CB team has always made this as easy as possible.

Pierre

June 2022

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] helped me alot during the onboarding!

Pros

Great to integrate into any website builder

Cons

Difficult to configure but the onboarding process with the engineer fix this issue

Brad

Chargebee saved us a TON of dev time.

Pros

I love that Chargebee allows young startups to get their feet under them before charging them. The integration into Braintree was SUPER easy and we haven't really had any problems with it since we started using it. It allows us to manage subscriptions without building our own dev dashboard to do that and gives us much more flexibility than Braintree for doing so. We use coupons to run promos and Chargebee makes that super easy. We use their hosted page for payments inside of an iframe and that has been helpful as well. Again the biggest thing as a young startup is not having to build all of that ourselves or asking the dev team to make changes every time we need to address an issue. Overall I've been very happy with Chargebee and we plan to continue to use them moving forward.

Cons

I'd love for the reporting dashboard to be a little more robust and user friendly. It's not bad but it could definitely be better. Being able to accept multiple currencies could also be handled better, but we get by just fine with the way it's set up. It makes you change your password every 90 days, which is annoying to me but I guess it's more secure...

Nuno

Our perfect subscription manager

Pros

We rely on Chargebee to manage subscriptions to our product. It's easy to use and to be integrated, and offers many features such as invoicing, TAX calculator based on location, several plans, offline payments, etc. Customer Support is great and they always hear what you say. Besides managing your subscriptions, it does something very important. By using their payment form on your website, you can easily integrate with several payment processors. This is especially important if you have payments that have been rejected by one processor and you can send them to another processor. It also reduces the dependency on one single processor.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is that the invoices it produces are not legal in some countries. For instance, in my country, invoicing software needs to be certified and to produce a SAF-T file with all invoices, that we need to submit to tax authorities. Since Chargebee doesn't do any of that, I need to have a separate invoicing platform.

László

Excellent subscription management platform

Overall a very capable subscription management tool with great integrations and great support them!

Pros

Excellent platform to manage your Saas Business. Great, very easy to use integrations with many vendors (Stripe, QuickBooks, Zapier, etc). Highly customizable settings for everything: email templates, the general look, and even the workflow & the custom fields.

Cons

Takes some time to get used to how to work together with your app and integrate everything to work flawlessly, but it worth it. I just wished that when the client has to select the quantity of their licenses, you could edit the label from Quantity to "users" or "licenses".

Reasons for choosing Chargebee

Integrations is a big plus!

Max

Basically, perfect in all aspects

We're ourselves are SaaS product, and use Chargebee as a backend for our payments and billing. We extensively use addons and various combinations of subscription plans. I couldn't name another product that I would be that happy with as I am with Chargebee.

Pros

- Perfect UX/UI: all the filters, mass operations, detailed settings are available just as I need them, never think a second where to find a function I need - Great API & integration support - Very powerful analytics (especially with RevenueStory) - Awesome support - A very, very carefully and thoughtfully planned interface with a deep understanding of the user.

Cons

I faced literally two issues through the course of 6 years using Chargebee in production.

Easy Subscription Management

It has been useful to set up our automated subscription plans. Creating different plans, promos, and payment methods were quite easy.

Pros

Chargebee makes it very easy to set up automatic billing, subscription creation, and setting up promos for our customers. The interface is fairly straightforward to navigate and they connect with much of our tech stack, which helps streamline workflows.

Cons

Not much to not like. There are a lot of settings, such as reminders and notifications that you need to make sure you set up if you want to stay on top of your billing. Once they are set up, they are very helpful!

Alister