• Pros

• "It is really easy to use and the data is displayed in a useful format"

• "Incredibly easy to learn how to use even if you've never managed a business before. Perfect for freelancers as well as small-businesses. Nice design both for the website as well as the PDFs created."

• "The ease of use combined of the platform which is exceptionally intuitive, combined with the brilliant customer service."

• Cons

• "If you plan to grow and scale your team, it can be a bit limiting, however it is still a great tool for smaller teams and individuals."

• "The mobile app is really great, but doesn't yet have the same in-depth functionality as the desktop app."

• "The software is improving over the years, but you might have some issues when it comes to make payments and raise invoices in other currencies."

Browse FreeAgent Reviews

Anne from Anne Westwood Consulting Ltd

Industry: Environmental Services

Makes bookkeeping easy for a novice, and still keeps an accountant happy

Saves me a whole lot of time, and helps me keep clear records for my accountant.

Pros

At the moment it's free through my business banking account - I tried it because of this but it would definitely be worth paying for. I am relatively new to running a business and the software is very intuitive for a novice. My accountant is pretty happy with it too, so that's a big thumbs up! It makes invoicing and payment of exenses very easy, and is great for keeping track of money coming in/out and keeping an eye on invoices due for payment. Payroll is incorporated (you can file it with HMRC through FreeAgent or let your accountant do it separately). I also like the fact that it reminds me when my corporation tax and annual accounts are due. In a few clicks I can see my profit & loss account and my trial balance as well as spend in the different (customisable) categories. Really helps me keep on top of everything. The Android app is also great for reconciling payments and recording expenses on the move. The help files are fantastic, and the clear accounting descriptions and explanations make them a great resource for a small business even if you don't use the software.

Cons

Exporting information is a bit tricky in some areas - you can get a pdf out quite easily but an xls or csv would be more useful (you can export the entire company dataset as a csv, but not filtered individual elements such as unpaid expenses or balances within individual accounts). In some cases you can get round this by cutting and pasting, but it's a bit fiddly. Exporting all company data does not export attachments - so you need to keep a separate copy of scanned receipts etc outside FreeAgent. It is one of the more expensive cloud accounting software packages out there, but I have looked at a whole range and you can't beat the functionality, so that's what you are paying for I guess!

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied April 2018

Hi Anne, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear about the features you like using and we really appreciate your positive feedback. I'm also pleased to say that we are currently working on improving our exporting data feature, which will be released very soon. Thanks again for using FreeAgent, we really appreciate it! All the best, The FreeAgent Team

Highly recommended

Pros

I got access to this software FREE of charge through banking with RBS. Having previously used Xero for our book-keeping, I found it had the same great functionality but a much slicker design. It's simplicity and ease of use is the best thing going for it.

Cons

Had some issues at the beginning with connecting our bank feeds but this was sorted out quickly by the team at FreeAgent - can't think of any real faults with the software.

Painful to use, Clunky and not great

Using the software was very awkward and restrictive. I lost confidence in it very early on. My experience has been years of utter frustration. Regular promises of fixes and upgrades never materialised over the last 3 years and despite sticking with it, and getting the software for free, I ended up having to opt for better software. Customer services are quick to respond but they tend to misinterpret your issue. Their idea of helping is sending you a link to a long drawn out document that frustrates you even more than the original issue. Most of the issues can't be resolved by sympathetic customer support reps because they are hard-coded into the software as basic incapabilities.

Pros

It's a Scottish company, albeit taken over by an anti-Scottish UK bank. Customer services are relatively quick to respond but don't often understand or resolve your issue. They do send you a Monday motivator which is useful. It's now free if you bank with RBS/Nat West, but I'd rather not bank with either and even at £0 it's not worth it. I'd rather pay for a decent software and save the cost of hours of inefficiency and extra accountancy fees later.

Cons

It is very clunky and awkward to use. It is very expensive for what it is and definitely not even worth using for free. Several essential basic functions are missing and it is very restrictive/prescriptive forcing you to work their way or not at all. Customer services regularly have to fudge "workarounds" to fill the gaps in FreeAgent's basic functionality and often these "workarounds" make more mess than doing nothing, leaving you with more to pay your accountant to fix it. FreeAgent does several things in very unusual ways and then doesn't allow you to fix them. Payroll does post journals into your ledgers but even the best accountants can't make any sense of them. This software tries to be all things to small businesses giving tools that quite frankly are dangerous to unqualified accountants. It allows you to do your own VAT, Corporation Tax and Self Assessment wrongly, without any tax planning advice which could cost you tens of thousands of pounds in VAT/tax that isn't due, not to mention HMRC penalties etc. I know of several clients who have overpaid an absolute fortune and had seriously damaging run-ins with HMRC as a direct result of trying to DIY using this software. Buyer BEWARE!!!

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied March 2019

Hi there, We¿re really sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and frustrations. If there's anything we can do to help improve your experience, or any additional feedback you'd like to share with us, please contact us at @support@freeagent.com. Warm regards, The FreeAgent Team

Richard from Rabbit Computers Ltd

Great for small business that want their weekend back

I've gone from from a struggle one man band that worked all day and did the paperwork each evening, to having time to spend with the family, and being able to see what I ned to pay to HMRC and when, and I can now see that sending out my invoices in good time, means that the customers are paying me, so the stress levels have gone down so much.

Pros

I no longer have to nominate which computer is the one that the accounts is on. I can open a web browser on the PC in my home office and enter my hours, mileage, upload photos of receipts, automatially let it reconcile the bank and credit card statements, and let it get on with doing the calcuations. I no longer have to set aside a weekend each month for doing invoices and expenses. or the last weekend of each quarter for doing the VAT return or various days of the last month of each financial year for doing the annual return.

Cons

Now that the company has made enough money to be able to purchase three cars, it would be nice if the mileage drop down had options for company owned vehicles and the AFR mileage rates, but it only has AMAP rates for personally owned bike, motorcycle or car.

Reasons for Choosing FreeAgent

My old manual system wasn't working. It was taking longer explaining each transaction to a new book keeper than doing it myself. Then I discoverd another regular at the gym is an accountant that specialsies in supporting businesses like mine, and they use FreeAgent with a large number of their clients. They did the initial setup, migration of the previous year end data into the system and hand holding for me.

Emanuele from The Information Lab

Overall

Pros

Overall experience is good. It allows to better organised both my bookeeping but as well my employee work due to its usability. Love as well the API integration that allow me to create custom analysis.

Cons

Too much focus on UK client. We are an Italian company and some of the functionality available for UK are really complex to achieve for us and required workaround. Billing only in 1 currency is crazy, why do you have invoice in multiple currency but billing cannot be done? It should be a simple addition to make but it has been year that people asked for this and still not implementation. Country specific payroll. Although I am aware it will be impossible to enable payroll for every country out of the box why don't allow customer to customized the payroll functionality to meet payroll requirements or add important deadline for taxing purpose. Even the export functionality can be improve and should be added to every areas from timesheet to bill, from invoice to expense with filter that allow you to specify the data you want to export. VAT calculation for Intrastat - due to the internationalisation of business should be easier to export only bill and invoice that are related to country outside your normal business area. What about language package? Again if not possibile provide an LDK that allow client to customize the interface.

Stephen from Spey.

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

Good product, good UI, good customer support, a bit pricey but worth it for my business.

Pros

FreeAgent is a fully-featured accounting and invoicing web app that comes with a great little mobile app too. It has a really clear and easy-to-use interface, making it easy to navigate and produce invoices, check your accounts for selected periods, track your time, manage projects... the list goes on. But for all the functionality, it never feels cluttered. I've experienced great support whenever I've asked for it and it hasn't ever produced any unexpected errors or bugs. It just works.

Cons

I wanted to recommend this product to my wife for her business but it's just a little bit too expensive for a startup small sole trader company like hers. A reduced cost account type for single users would be great.

August 2015

Mandie

August 2015

Perfect Companion for Accounting

I was introduced to Freeagent by my accountant, Balance Accountants. My business needs are met very easily with Freeagent, I have a small company which is Residential Care and Home Care business. The cloud base system allows my accountant to access my work and I'm able to have meetings with bank managers etc without having to lug lots of paperwork about, everything is at my fingertips. Also im based in the South and my business and accountant are in the North, so logistically it works very well for me. The system I have found very easy to use and if I have ever got stuck, my accountant can sign in and talk me through it. Once you get yourself set up and familiarised, you won't believe how much simpler accounting gets. I use for all bookkeeping and invoicing. I would use it for payroll but hey....my payroll lady would be out of a job! But I reckon she uses it as she's always smiling never stressed.

Pros

Live bank feeds, easy to use, perfect for invoicing, accounting for small businesses, keeping the accountant and bank manager happy with the efficiency! It does everything (for me and my business needs) apart from making me coffee :-) Always a pleasure using freeagent, it's really fun to use!

Cons

Ive been using it for nearly two years.... Can't fault it! Not sure if I could add a further business to the platform, for example: using same login details but be able to switch between businesses?? That would be really good.

Flavio from Avenue

Great accounting software for freelancers and small teams

Having researched a number of different options while freelancing, FreeAgent was hands down the best one for a solo practitioner, with enough features to solve all my accounting needs.

Pros

Perfect for freelancers and small teams, FreeAgent includes all the aspects needed to control accounts, create / send invoices and keep an eye on projects. Highly recommended for any solo practitioners.

Cons

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied September 2019

Hi Flavio, Thank you so much for sharing your positive review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it! The FreeAgent Team

Joanne from The Wandering Wordsmith

Industry: Writing and Editing

I'd be lost without it!

Pros

I've been using FreeAgent for approximately 5 years, I think, and I would be lost without it. The app is really user-friendly, and I love how easy it is to submit my accounts to HMRC at the end of the year. On the few occasions that I've needed assistance, I've had an almost immediate response with helpful information. Highly recommended.

Cons

It felt a little expensive at first as a solo trader, but I think it proved its worth in ease of use so quickly this isn't really a con. Plus they have a great affiliate scheme so you can bring the overall cost down by recommending others.

Reasons for Choosing FreeAgent

It was recommended to me by a friend

Billy from Skyhawks Sports

FreeAgent for Sports/Recreation Companies

Excellent. As a small business I was tentative to get give it a try. Thought it was too much for us. At the end of the day I decided give it a try and am so happy I did. Their customer support team is great and treats my small business like a major client.

Pros

The software was easy to learn and very user friendly. This software has freed up a lot of my time and made our entire organization for efficient and effective. One of those programs where you start using it, you don't know how you ever were able to run your company without it.

Cons

Nothing. I have been impressed with all the features. It was easy to learn and their customer support team was there to help me with everything along the way.

David from Boxhead

Essential accounting software for any growing business

Pros

We've been using Freeagent for over 5 years. In that time frame my company has grown from being a sole-trader to an incorporated limited company with employees. To say that Freeagent has helped facilitate that growth would be an understatement. We now use Freeagent for our VAT submission (saving us £200pq accountants fees), Payroll (saving us £10pm per employee), Sending out client estimates/invoices, and what we originally bought it for... Book keeping and accounting. We have Freeagent connected to our bank feeds, meaning we are only ever 24hrs out of date with our live bank accounts. This is now a common practice with similar software, but for us it came just at the right time. Their team of inhouse accountancy experts is also an incredible resource that we use around once a quarter, or whenever something new crops up that we might need some help with. We still use the skill of an account for filing our end of year accounts, but we could even do this with free agent.

Cons

The one thing that has been a niggle like a tiny pebble in your shoe, or scratch on the roof of your mouth, is that you cannot send a remittance! Many people have requested this functionality but it has largely been ignored by the freeagent team. I have no idea whether it is a technical or philosophical reason they've just not engaged with it... If they did implement this functionality it would pretty much make it perfect for my companies needs.

John from MPHG Ltd

Great accounting software

Very clean app gives good insights from the overview page.

Pros

It's just so easy to use. We run our plumbing business with this app and it integrates well with Commusoft our field service management software reducing time spent double entering information and doing tasks like invoicing. Now we invoice and complete the job in Commusoft and it pushes al the relevant information to Freeagent.

Cons

It only does CIS one way. As we have grown from a subcontractor into a contractor that now employs subcontractors we need a simple way to process CIS invoices from our SC's

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied November 2018

Hi John, Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear how you and your business use FreeAgent. Thanks for the feedback about CIS too, we've passed it along to our product team. The FreeAgent Team

Chris from CO2 Design Ltd

Magnificent Customer Support, Good Accounting System

Pros

FreeAgent is more advanced than my previous service provider, Freshbooks. It allows me to handle the split between personal/business bank accounts and their expenses better and even submits my tax return to HMRC for me. The few times I've contacted their support, they have responded quickly, actually understood what I've asked and provided a detailed response, specific to my issue.

Cons

As a sole trader working on various contracts for 7.5 hours per day, I need to be able to track my time and bill my clients based on it. This is the only area where I found Freshbooks to have the edge—it provided a daily timeline where I could click on my start time, enter the duration, client and project and track my time visually. This meant that I could tell at a glance where there were gaps in my day and correct them accordingly. FreeAgent allows me to add Timeslip entries, however it can get confusing quite quickly as there is no start time and no visual timeline. I have to rely on the running total of hours shown per day and try to work out the amount of hours to submit per task. So the interface isn't as intuitive as I would like, but the wealth of other extra features I have access to with FreeAgent does go some way to making up for it. FreeAgent does also work out at around double the monthly subscription price of Freshbooks, which isn't ideal in my circumstances, but I do feel I am getting a better all-round product for the money.

September 2015

Oscar from SE-Technologies

September 2015

Exceptionally Poor Customer Support

I originally found Freeagent around three years ago. I was very excited when I found I could use Freeagent through "My Business Works", a service offered by Barclays, at a reduced rate - except nobody decided to make it clear support is outsourced to "My Business Works" - perhaps the most key feature of freeagent. For around three years I have always been in contact with friendly, kind and lovely staff at Freeagent who have always been happy to provide us with support - I have always avoided "My Business Works Support" as their staff are especially unhelpful, condescending and rude. That was until today. A stubborn, although polite lady refused to give us support despite my explanation of the poor support "My Business Works" offers. Quite simply her unkind, unfriendly action has lost a customer, we are moving to a far more powerful and equally easy to use software called Xilo, with much better support in January. I used to think Freeagent was an actual service whereby one might not be bound to the selfish red-rape rules of the world, and was instead a friendly platform with every customer's interest at heart. I would recommend all to consider Xilo over Freeagent. That is of course unless you want a kick in the teeth for being a long-term loyal customer!

Response from FreeAgent UK online accounting software

Replied September 2015

Hello Oscar, Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. My name is Kevin McCallum and I am Business Development Director at FreeAgent and directly responsible for managing our relationship with MyBusinessWorks. I'm really sorry that you've not had a good experience with MyBusinessWorks support and I wanted to let you know that we take these kind of issues very seriously and I am currently discussing this matter with MyBusinessWorks. As you know from your previous discussions with our support team, we do take all our customer support obligations very seriously and pride ourselves on the support we provide to our customers. It is worth pointing out that MBW provide support on a number of the products you have access to through their package, whereas at FreeAgent we focus solely on our own software. The only way to receive full unlimited support from our support team would be if you were a direct subscriber to FreeAgent. As we’ve said previously, if you wanted to transfer your account over to become a direct subscriber then we would be more than happy to help you do this. If you'd like to do this please email me on kevin@freeagent.com and I can arrange it for you To reiterate, I'm sorry that you are not happy with the support you have received from MBW but I am now dealing with this personally. Kind regards, Kevin

Stella from Three grand peas NIG. Ltd

As an event planner, it makes me happy to use FreeAgent because of easy access.

Estimates and proposals Invoice templates Simple payroll and automatic back feeds Tax timelines (you'll never miss a deadline again!) Self-assessment tax return filing Unlimited users and transactions Support accountants are available to answer any questions First 30 days are free, I was excited about this and I was very happy about this.

Pros

Cheap depending on your business needs or the size of the business. Famous for its incredible invoice templates Shows your real-time profit position and it automatically updates your accounts. Cloud-based, so there is no software to download or install The interface is very friendly and lovely.

Cons

Online help, known as My Business Works Support has been known to be rather unhelpful and excessively rude Tends to receive bugs or glitches that often take time to repair, if fixable at all Even though this program offers Multiple Currency options, the proper support for this feature is seriously lacking Not very quick with software updates (some have been waiting years for new and desired features)

Rick from Vortex Content Marketing

Make book keeping hassle a thing of the past

Time saving, professional appearance to clients, cloud-based, quick and easy to learn

Pros

I hate taxes and book keeping work. Using just common sense, you can immediately do 90% of tasks within FreeAgent, quickly and easily. FreeAgent staff are on standby to help you with the other 10%. It's fantastic.

Cons

Some of the features are not intuitive, and take a bit of practice to get right. The one time I have had to use a work around is the system does not have a function allowing you to remove partner drawings directly from a foreign currency PayPal account. Hardly a deal-breaker.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied April 2018

Hi Rick, Thank you for sharing your review and for the kind words, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear that FreeAgent meets your needs, and that the team have given their support when needed (we're very proud to have such an awesome support team!) We also appreciate your feedback about some of the challenges you've experienced, I've passed them along to our product team. Thanks again! The FreeAgent Team

Rouska from Kuva

Essential tool for managing finance

Pros

* Auto integration with banking API feeds * Intelligent learning for your regular banking transactions * Templates for sending invoices etc * VAT & SA form integration with HMRC

Cons

* Slightly clunky UI for viewing recent expenses * Inability to remove user's who have left the business

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied July 2018

Hi Rouska, Thank you for the positive review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about all of the features that are most valuable to you. We appreciate the additional feedback too and have passed it along to our Product Team. All the best, The FreeAgent Team

Olajumoke from Kinsman Ltd

Industry: Utilities

My Accounting friend

Pros

I use freeagent everyday for my business and it's like the best so far. Helps to generate invoices and estimates for client, it gives an overview of your account in the first page which you can easily see at first glance. I recommend freeagent anyday anytime.

Cons

Freeagent generates number for each of the invoice or estimates which can be confusing sometimes especially if you have to delete that invoice or estimates but nevertheless it's a stress free software, it does all the work.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied May 2019

Hi Olajumoke! Thank you for being a FreeAgent user and for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate the kind words! The FreeAgent Team

Sarah from Marketing and Advertising

Love it

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use and easy to learn. I keep the tab open every day. It's easy to "undo" if you make a mistake in an invoice. There's basically nothing that can't be undone by reverting to draft. The recurring invoices tool is really helpful. I don't use the feature where it'll email invoices/reminders. I prefer to do that myself and it's really easy — nothing to really keep track of since I invoice all clients on the same day each month. They make it easy to label bank transactions so as long as I remember to do that once a month or so, all my accounting reports are always current. I don't have to spend too much time on accounting and I don't really have any complaints. The customer service is always fantastic.

Cons

I wish the time tracking feature were just a little slicker. I use Toggl for time tracking, and then I import hours for each client each month. Not a big deal, but one of those little things that would put it over the top.

John from Opencity Inc

An outstanding find with exemplary customer service

Pros

Cons

FreeAgent appears somewhat UK-centric, although the support is still exceptional. The banking does connect to banks in Canada and I have been able to manage harmonized sales tax in Ontario. It may have some current limitations to make it a credible better substitute for Sage, in respect of the tax nuances across different Canadian Provinces.

The only accounting software I would use

I use Freeagent to run my entire business- to invoice and to monitor missing payments, to file both my tax and vat returns, its an incredible tool for my business

Pros

Great customer support- all from trained accountants in the UK that are able to walk you through any problems you might encounter when doing you tax and vat returns

Cons

None- inpeciable and consistent service at all times.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied November 2018

Hi there, Thank you for the kind words and your positive review, we really appreciate it! The FreeAgent Team

Saul from University of Oxford

Industry: Research

Fantastic - makes my business life so much easier

Pros

Love the user interface, which is easily customisable and visually it is really appealing. Makes accounting fun! Easy to use, once you know how to access some of the features. I have a straightforward business in private medical practice and this software takes care of my invoicing, accounting and expenses all in one, with automatic updating of all the relevant information at your fingertips. Both my secretary and I can access the software from anywhere, so it makes for easy team-work. One of the best features for me is the projects section, where I can keep track of the numerous expert reports that I have on my books at any one time.

Cons

Sometimes working out how to find something, or to alter a document isn't intuitive, and I have had to refer to the website for help, which has always been useful (so far). (NB I think the user who didn't like being referred to My Business Works is being unnecessarily unfair to this software because they had to go through a Barclays intermediary - Barclays are known for their poor service, but this is not FreeAgent...)

Greg from SpringField Payments

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

Great for Freelancers

Pros

FreeAgents offers a lot of features for a very low price and the customer service is good also. I have used them for 3 years and there are other programs that may be a little better, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Cons

I wish that recurring billing was a little easier and the number of integrations is good, but it does not integrate with one of my core programs which is a bummer.

August 2016

Toby

August 2016

Simple Accounting for UK Businesses

As a business owner with minimal accounting experience I was introduced to FreeAgent about three years ago. It has transformed our business from cumbersome spreadsheet accounts and Word invoices to a really convenient and efficient system.

Pros

Automated invoicing and accounts overview that highlight things before they become an issue. Fantastic UK based support team.

Cons

A little more expensive than some of the competitors.

Takes the pain out of keeping accounts

Pros

Pros: ability to photograph receipts and store them within expenses All the main categories of expenses are there Links to your business bank account

Cons

Con: One major drawback is that you can't print out a consolidated tax return before or after filing. For sole traders a tax return is often the only way to prove income when applying for loans, etc, and HMRC doesn't offer this service either.

Jonathan from Landmark Expertise

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

FreeAgent - Great and Gets Better

Pros

FreeAgent is a fantastic product. I have only needed to use support a couple of times and they were more unusual questions. As a freelancer, keeping an eye on income and expenditure, billing and chasing invoices and recording expenses with my phone is really important. Add to that the easy submission of my tax return and it really is a great piece of software.

Cons

I am a little disappointed that I could not receive any of the discounts offered to new customers. (e.g. 6 months half price).

Owen from Pixl

Generally good but some areas that badly need an update

Generally a solid piece of software but lacks some feature sets common in alternatives such as Zoho

Pros

Super responsive customer support Most day to day business transactions covered well Generally clean design

Cons

The expense handling suite is quite poor (both mobile and web) e.g. Does not have the following - Sortable columns in the expense listing table (e.g. list by highest value descending, or name) - Ability to filter by type or project - Drag and drop receipts into web interface (you have to upload through file navigation) - Quick take photo for expense button (mobile) - Ability to email expense emails or pics of receipts to an inbox Timesheet feature set also rather basic

John 'Hedge' from Access Parkour Ltd.

Great, powerful,

Pros

FreeAgent is one of those programs that integrates all sorts of difficult tasks into one single multi-use product. We specifically use it for payroll, invoicing and accountancy and find the integrated approach saves time and helps us quickly track accountancy errors and oversights.

Cons

The live link to the bank account statements is often glitchy and can cause a headache for those trying to account for every transaction.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied April 2018

Hi John, Thank you for sharing your review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about the features you find most beneficial for your business. We also appreciate you highlighting the glitches you experience with links to bank account statements, we've shared that feedback with the product team. Thanks again! The FreeAgent Team

Mike from Mike Cooper Voiceover

Overall, I love FreeAgent

Pros

Integrates with my bank accounts and PayPal. Does bookkeeping without me having to know how to do bookkeeping. Great referral program! Good support when I've needed it.

Cons

Reports and accounts set up is skewed to the UK market (my American CPA is used to seeing certain things set out differently). Bank feeds can be slow to update.

Reviewed lots of options made the decision to go with FreeAgent and never looked back, great product

Peace of mind, credible management information, easy ways of doing my quotations and billing, streamlined data capture of receipts and mileage, reduced my back office admin costs and made our lives easier

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive, provides high quality information about the state of play of my business and my ongoing liabilities for tax and keeps easy track of who owes us money and how to send reminders. Quotation system works well, bank integration excellent and shared access for my back office book keepers means a lot less hassle. Love the App for capturing expenses and mileage

Cons

Worry about their inability to let me download copies of all scanned images I have added. I really cannot find anything else to say

John from Sharpmonkeys

Allows me to manage the business effectively

FreeAgent allows me to see at a glance what we are owed, who the biggest culprits are and to automatically send out overdue reminders. So much easier than chasing on the phone.

Pros

FreeAgent has enabled me to free up so much of my time because i can schedule and manage invoices individually or on repeat. Also helps when preparing tax and vat returns.

Cons

The function to connect credit card accounts does not always work that well but i think we have cracked it.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied January 2019

Hi John, Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it! If you experience any additional issues with connecting your account, please let us know at support@freeagent.com as our support team is always happy to help. The FreeAgent Team

Dimitrios

Essential for sole trader's accounting

Pros

One of the things that scared me about going freelance, was the accounting and book-keeping part this entails. After researching similar web-based solutions, I decided upon subscribing to Freeagent. I wouldn't be able to run my business without it. Everything I need, from invoicing and clients database, to expense filing and completing my self-assessment is there, easy to use and access. When I needed some help or clarifications about something, the staff were prompt and eager to help me and made sure my issues were resolved in any case. Highly recommended software & service!

Cons

I find that the mobile app has limited functionality compared to the desktop site. I would like the same level of editability when it comes to the handling of bank transactions, as I have via my internet browser.

Zara from Magnetizmo Ltd

Keeping Track Of My Finances

Pros

It is really easy to use and the data is displayed in a useful format

Cons

The one downside is that it doesn't pull in the USD transactions from Paypal and this has to be done manually.

Tom from Tom McCallum Copy

Easy to use accounting software and a great mobile app

I found FreeAgent easier to get my head around than other accounting software, both desktop and cloud, that I'd used in the past. I did have to call support a couple of times but I got straight through and they were a pleasure to deal with and sorted all my issues impressively well.

Pros

FreeAgent is great in January when I can file my tax return directly to HMRC. The form is also filled with data I've entered throughout the year so self assessment time is pretty hassle free, which s unusual for a freelancer. I've just started using the mobile app and find that this is really is good too. I can take care of all the day-to-day stuff, like explaining bank transactions and entering mileage, when I'm out and about on business to stop it mounting up.

Make life easier

Pros

It makes my life easier. I was spending at least half a day totting up time spent and billing clients but Freeagent does it all for me at the touch of a button. That has been the absolute stand out time saving feature for me. Plus it's not complicated, easy to use and displays everything clearly.

Cons

Every month I have to re-input the tasks for clients. I wish it would hold onto those so that I could re-use them for my ongoing clients.

David from Self-Employed

Simple, may to use and already used by out acceptant

Pros

Simple, lightweight and just does exactly what you require from a accounting tool. Interface is easy to navigate and there is a very low learning curve. I would recommend this tool to small businesses / freelancers.

Cons

Doesn't integrate with newer online style bank accounts for automated feeds at all. (e.g. transfer wise bank accounts) . Sometimes doesn't recognise recurring bank transactions meaning it takes longer to explain

Not the best software I've ever used.

I don't see any now.

Pros

It looks like it has a lot of features but it doesn't work in a logical way. The tech support used to be available almost 24/7 but the quality and availability have shrunk down significantly.

Cons

This is the most frustrating of all of the accounting software that we reviewed. Everything (even mistakes) gets locked in and can't be edited or amended. There are so many basic functions that just don't work and all customer services do is give you complicated workarounds, most of which don't actually achieve the required outcome. The bank feeds often don't work and you have to log in daily to manually update them. The price is way to high and not good value. The software is not easy to use and what used to be great customer service is now a waste of your time and call tariff. To add insult to injury, they have just been bought over by a bank that has a terrible reputation for so many reasons and will tarnish the reputation of FreeAgent. I'd steer well clear of this software.

Steve from SG Heating

So much easier

This product has made running my business do much easier.It takes a little getting used to but once grappled it’s a breeze!

Pros

The bank reconciling makes marking off transactions and paid invoices so easy. The ability to resend email reminders and show whether an email has been received by a customer is great.

Cons

More template options would be good and the ability to put terms and conditions into the back of a invoice.

Keeps me informed and saves time and money

Pros

It allows me to keep on top of the financial position of my company allowing me to make decisions with up to date knowledge. Compared to my peers who don't use the software I am saving time and money doing my accounting.

Cons

The mobile app is not as feature rich and some of the functionality that it does have does not share the same options as the web version e.g. split transactions

Took the worst part of owning a business and made it almost fun

Pros

The end to end connectivity. Booking time spent with a client turns into an invoice turns into a payment at the bank - and all this is tracked. What used to take hours in excel is all at a glance in FreeAgent.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to use their time tracking module as a separate product. I no longer run a business but would love to use their time tracker with my team at the larger org I now work for.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied April 2018

Hi there, Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear which FreeAgent features you found most helpful. I've also passed along your time tracking module feedback to our product team. Thanks again! The FreeAgent Team

Jamie from Dubber

The perfect accounting software for freelancers

Pros

It's an incredibly easy to use all-in-one accounting solution that's built for freelancers, all the way up to large businesses. Creating and managing invoices is very easy and you can even sync it up to your bank account. Whilst many of the more advanced accounting features go unused by myself I can clearly see the value in them for others.

Cons

It's not the cheapest solution if you're just creating a few invoices each month but for any typical independent professional it's a great solution. I can't think of any real cons to this product.

Brilliant

Pros

I love free agent. It makes invoicing, book keeping and automating reminders very easy. It's also very easy to modify your invoice designs. Customer support has always been good on the few occasions I've needed them.

Cons

I'd like to be able to do reports on a monthly basis rather than the preset options. Little bit more expensive than it's rivals.

Pierpaolo from Lavolio Boutique Confectionery

Great accunting software, really easy to use!

Pros

Fantastic software for your company. Easy to use and complete. You can manage your customers, raise invoices and do your payroll.

Cons

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied April 2018

Hi Pierpaolo, Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear what you found most useful about FreeAgent. We've also highlighted the issues you raised with our product team. Thanks again! The FreeAgent Team

Jonathan

Brilliant tool that I rely on daily

Pros

It just works. The software looks good on desktop and connects to the mobile app well. From invoicing, to time tracking, to payroll, tax returns ... so much functionality and pretty much error free. Unlike other financial software, you don't need to pay more for features like payroll and multi-currency. Win.

Cons

It would be useful to have a few more multi-currency features (e.g. multi-currency bills and expenses).

BEN from HOPKINS GROWTH MARKETING

High quality accounting with unparalleled ease.

Pros

Ease of set-up Complete flexibility Integrates with my banking transactions automatically (Barclays) Automated explanations, and complete the rest on my iPhone app - on train, in bed etc! Superb reports fit for any accountant, better than many! Invoices look amazing and the automatic chasing / thanking clients for payment is a delight Self assessments completed in a doddle - and for free as part of our subscription.

Really useful for managing cash flow

Pros

Syncing with your bank accounts allows you to keep track of expenses, income and bills really easily. There is good help in the support section and it is good to be able to get some automated analysis of the figures too.

Cons

The time tracking feature is not very flexible and has caused me issues, I am using a different software to track time now. The design also is quite accountant-oriented

Fantastically simple accounting software for small businesses

Pros

Cons

Large businesses and more experienced accountants are likely to find the functionality a bit limiting.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Replied July 2018

Hi there, We just wanted to say thank you for the kind words about FreeAgent, we really appreciate it! All the best, The FreeAgent Team

Jahiezer from Apok, C.A.

one of the best to accounting software in the market

Pros

Functional and a UI really nice design. Good pricing, it's one of the best investment for a freelancer who have some time working. This app really help me in may freelance career

Cons

some times it's difficult to go into some tools. you cant import all the info you want to into this app. No have a computer app, you must have to go into the navigator or your cell phone

Very convenient and easy to use/implement

Pros

Ease to use, easy to input data and access to overview info. quote feature is SO convenient. Gives you the professional looks we wanted to transmit to our customers. Convenient database to keep track on projects

Cons

Reports adjustments and correcting info is a bit complicated. You gotta go around several times in order to have the chance to modify data that was missplaced.

Anil from India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.

Advanced and easy to use online accounting software.

Pros

You can effectively manage and keep a track of your invoices, expenses and calculate your profits in one place. For each account, there are no such limits on the number of users allowed to access an account. Round the clock customer service and support system are provided. The application is integrated with payroll functionalities. You can contact their accounting experts if you encounter any issues. You can check out the thirty-day trial version, then move on to the paid version, they don’t charge any setup fee.

Cons

It is difficult to export information (if you need it in the CSV format). Expensive when compared to other accounting solutions.