All IBM SPSS Statistics Reviews

SPSS User Review

Carlos

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Analyze the information of your work with this software specialized in statistics.

The use of IBM SPSS by our company has generated excellent results in the planning, management and dissemination of our management as a Health Center. It is thanks to the options of IBM SPSS, that I have been able to systematize, compare and analyze large databases of our patients, offering better solutions to their problems and establishing the statistical data necessary for the evaluation of our activities. Large companies that wish to project themselves and compete in the market, I recommend that they use this software and thus will be able to make the best management decisions according to the evaluation of the data inherent to their company.

PROS

IBM SPSS, is a very sophisticated software that specializes in statistical analysis according to different data and variables such as graphical databases, probabilities, percentiles and so on. The most outstanding feature of this software is that it has many modules, which are the computer language of the software and allow a more exhaustive analysis of the information collected in your work. Among the most outstanding modules we have tables, categories of variables, joint analyses, maps, exact tests, data validation, analysis of lost values. It is a software that, with practice becomes the best tool for database analysis thanks to its file system, which facilitates the processing of information. Another advantage of this software is that it considerably reduces the analysis time of statistical variables, making the productivity of workers is optimal.

CONS

In order to fully manage IBM SPSS, it is necessary to apply certain computer knowledge, which means that not everyone, including expert social scientists, can use this software in its entirety.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Best stats package with the ease of functionality and mechanism.

My overall experience with SPSS has been great and I strongly recommend it. It is very useful in market research and business analytics industry as most research projects deal with descriptive and multivariate statistical approach. I have been using SPSS for last ten years and it has provided very good functionality with each update and version. Overall I highly recommend this software package.

PROS

Very easy to use. High level functionality and easy to perform mechanisms. Fine way of operations. Can run anything from basic descriptive statistics to high level simulations. Easy to import data in different formats (csv, xls, sav, etc.). Data cleaning process are easily executed which includes missing value imputation, data recoding, and data restructuring. Very functional in running multivariate methods like exploratory factor analysis, ANOVA, linear regression, logistic regression, discriminant analysis, and MANCOVA. Most operations are done through interactive dashboard, which is hassle free. Overall it is a great statistical package to run different analysis at a very affordable price.

CONS

It is tedious to do multiple iterations using SPSS. Syntax functionality is low and lines of codes become exhaustive when you run monte carlo simulations. The most challenging aspect is to run simulations with large data sets. The support provided by the support team doesn't extend beyond technical support. SPSS requires add ons for running the simulations which cost extra to the users. Overall it is deficient in running certain simulations.

Reasons for switching to IBM SPSS Statistics

SPSS has provides better functionality compared to JMP as the dashboard abilities are much better than JMP. SPSS is highly effective when running multivariate statistics methods and the ease of use add upto the value compared to JMP. Overall very efficient and highly functional compared to JMP.

Ibraheem

Reviewed May 2022

IBM spss

It has been good so far

PROS

What I like most is; it comes with Python IDE

CONS

I can't perform most operational research analysis with it

Reason for choosing IBM SPSS Statistics

It's more cheaper and easy to use

Reasons for switching to IBM SPSS Statistics

IBM SPSS provide more statistical analysis tools than that of excel

Sreekanta

Reviewed August 2022

It is an effective tool for analysts and researchers to perform their research.

It provides fantastic choices for the graphical display. I am happy to use this software for our social research purpose.

PROS

IBM SPSS offers a wide variety of extremely flexible factual models, with the general direct model and a number of calculated relapse models standing out. They enable me to have a single piece of software that can essentially handle all of our information-research requirements. A substantial chunk of the competing factual programming products, including as R, SAS, and Stata, rely heavily on programming languages as their primary feature. Even while learning a programming language takes time, there are some significant benefits. Additionally, the complexity frequently deters me from trying with fresh and out-of-the-box strategies. Before starting our information inquiry, I need to see how our information behaves. The use of graphics to do this is preferred. Using the scatterplots, boxplots, and histograms in IBM SPSS, I can see examples in our data.

CONS

The cost of obtaining SPSS may be prohibitive for some users. In order to properly exploit the abundance of available elements, further planning is typically required. The highlights of the chart are not quite as simple as those of Microsoft Excel. Information on impact size and certainty spans is lacking for some approaches.

Reasons for switching to IBM SPSS Statistics

The statistical dashboard SPSS swiftly displays my data to me. SPSS is incredibly dependable and quick when it comes to providing me with the output.

Scott

Higher Education, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2020

The Best and The Rest

After being introduced to SPSS about 10 years ago I have never used any other similar product. I have even helped colleagues who use a different program with their analyses by saving their data to a USB, using SPSS in my office, and providing them with a hard copy of the results as well as the SPSS input/output data. Typically, they want to know how to get their hands on a copy of SPSS.

PROS

SPSS is a phenomenal resource for data analysis be it for an advanced statistician or a student learning basic research methodology. The program is designed to run very simple analyses (mean, mode, median, SD, T-Tests) to complex theoretical modeling in order to identify and name IV's and DV's. SPSS provides reader-friendly and exhaustive help within the program, as well as live help if needed (which, in my experience is not very often). I love the options that I can add to the output such as graphs, charts, histograms, and what specific data means based on what I want analyzed. Much easier to use that other programs of a similar nature, which means I spend less time asking a colleague in the Math Department if I am using the most appropriate analysis based on the data collected. Also, I appreciate how easy it is to copy and paste tables and images into a text document.

CONS

Until there is a technology that allows one to immediately "download" large and complex bodies of information into the brain, I have little criticism for SPSS. If I am in deep water and do not fully understand what the "Help" section is telling me, I simply step backward until I reach a level that I do understand and move forward from there. Kind of like teaching myself. It is unreasonable to blame a program for my own limitations.

Reasons for switching to IBM SPSS Statistics

A colleague agreed to help me with some questions about data analysis and brought her laptop which had SPSS loaded on it. I watched what she did, asked what company made the software, and then got my own. Watching what she did with such ease was a little humiliating and frustrating because I understood what I observed, yet could not get the same intuitive functionality from the program I was using. Additionally, current and typical college students have not been taught to ask questions, be skeptics, think critically, and know where/how to find objective information. As a result, all of my General Psychology classes require students working in small groups to ask a question, refine the question so that it can be researched, conduct a lit review, develop a methodology, conduct the research, analyze the data using SPSS that they download for a 30 day trial, and write an article that adheres to the submission guidelines for most peer-reviewed journals. Without SPSS, I doubt that this project could be completed.

Jayaprakash

Architecture & Planning, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed July 2021

Effective software platform which helps to perform statiscal analysis and Structured data entry task

Our organisation prepares insightfull reports and summary statistics with the support of SPSS, it benefits to the productivity of the projects and decision making process.

PROS

I have been using 32-bit version of IBM SPSS statistic software for more than 5 years to perform various statistical analysis and data entry purposes. It is a flexible software to analyze large set of tabular data compares to other products. It also provides the user-friendly platform to set up and carry out the data entries which can help to enter the data from the questionnaire surveys effectively. SPSS designed to support all required statistical analysis for decision making which range from descriptive statistical functions such as central tendency, distribution and shape to certain inferential statistical assessments. Obviously, SPSS software is a great option for statistical analysis and data entries to both academics and enterprise users.

CONS

In order to perform statistical analysis users must have the knowledge in scripting to operate the tools in SPSS (Especially in the desktop version). Cost is another drawback, however there are several options available including monthly subscription methods and academic editions.

Reason for choosing IBM SPSS Statistics

This was the only product which suited the requirement of our organisation 10 years back

1 employee

Reviewed May 2020

SPSS is Value for Money

I have used it to analyze data collected from market research for the services I offer. I am able to then make informed decisions from the trends I observe through the analyses.

PROS

As a student of the social sciences, I was expected to conduct research and calculate appropriate statistics in order to draw accurate conclusions. I became overwhelmed by the complex nature of these calculations. I was relieved to discover that, in the real world, I was not expected to calculate t-tests, ANOVA, chi-square (and countless others) manually. I remember having several aha moments during my Data Analysis course as we were taught the software step-by-step. This software has since become a mainstay in my personal and professional life. I once used it to analyze upwards of 300 questionnaires and was blown away at how easily and quickly I was able to compare the data. There were 6 demographic questions and I was able to breakdown responses based on each classification. It offers a wealth of statistical capabilities at the touch of a button.

CONS

It is intimidating at first. It is also rather expensive.

Reason for choosing IBM SPSS Statistics

I never learned to do statistics in Excel. So I wanted to stick to what I knew. I also anticipated comparing large amounts of data, which SPSS does more efficiently.

1 employee

Reviewed August 2019

The Only Statistical Tool You Need

SPSS has a learning curve in the beginning but after working out a few kinks, the program allows the user to do all their data needs.

PROS

I used SPSS to conduct my masters research into federal employee retention of millennials. The program was able to handle data points from all 15 federal agencies over 10 years along with 20 plus other data factors. SPSS made it easy to organize the data and execute stat checks on the research.

CONS

There were times where I had to consult an SPSS research guide in order to execute certain formulas. SPSS is a vast program but it can be a little daunting when you first start out.

Reasons for switching to IBM SPSS Statistics

SPSS provides more functionality and features than Microsoft Excel.

Thuffail

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2021

Analyze your data with statistical theories

I used SPSS for research projects in Master of Business Administration. In the beginning data analyzing and learning the use of software was a time consuming process. I understood that this software can also used for organizational data analysis where sufficient data is available. However , the software lacks intelligence to select correct data out of the imported data therefore data cleansing is important.

PROS

Data can be easily imported to the software from data bases and Excel. Once the data is imported the graphical depiction of the data can be used to identify the behavior of data. After understanding the behavior of the data the data can be analyzed using the available statistical models. The most suitable statistical model for the data can be finalized in the process of data analysis. The software has a broad range of statistical models build on linear and regression theories and models. The software is easy to use with an unsophisticated menu driven interface. Anyone with basic mathematical knowledge can use the software for the analysis. An expert in statistics is not needed as data analyzing consists of few simple steps. However , 3- 4 weeks is needed to properly familiarize with the software. Basically four steps can be identified in using this software. First step is importing data , second step is selection of a procedure , third step is selection of a variable for data analyzing and fourth step is generating of results.

CONS

The efficiency of the software decreases when the size of data increases. Therefore, this can be a major drawback when used in the sectors such as health care. SPSS has 2 main windows one depicting data and the other depicting results. Therefore the software is too simple with limited windows. The software is very similar to excel and most of the results obtained in SPSS also can be obtained in excel by complex calculations .This is comparatively expensive compared to the similar software. The data should be cleaned before analysis in order to generate correct results.

Jannus

Chemicals, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed February 2022

SPSS for statistical analysis

Overall SPSS is a great program to use for statistical analysis. Its easy to use with Excel so you will have little to no problems puttting your Excel sheet in SPSS. With a lot of options of all kinds of analysis, SPSS is a great program to use

PROS

What I like the most about SPSS is the amount of options you have. It's really easy to perform an analysis on a small group of data in a big data sheet. If you want multiple kinds of graphs for a multitude of data groups, all the graphs will be sorted and neatly arrange in a easy to use overview. It's also really easy to combine SPSS with Excel (and other programs like Excel). You can easily use the data you have collected in excel, in SPSS. You just have to make sure that the data is arranged in the same way as SPSS, ortherwise SPSS won't be able to read your date.

CONS

What I don't really like about SPSS is that it opens a lot of new windows. If you want to make a graph. It opens a new window for the graph, and if you want to edit this graph another's window will be open. So if you don't close each window after you use it, they'll eventually add up to such a number that it could get difficult to find the right window again. It's also quite difficult to start with SPSS (especially if you switch from Excel). Because there are so many options it could be difficult the find the one you are looking for, but after some time this won't be a problem anymore. SPSS also isn't easily used as a data collector. It's greatly restricted how and where you can fill in you data. So for data collection it's better to use a different program, like Excel.

Rouzlani

Import and Export, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2022

Complete your research with SPSS !

As a doctoral researcher in economics and international trade, I recently relied on the SPSS program to analyze the questionnaire for my research on freelancers in Algeria, where this activity is not officially recognized, so the only way to access the data of this category is the questionnaire, SPSS allowed me to present reliable results for this research, which is very important for the Algerian economy and to come up with recommendations to adopt this activity officially and legally to improve the performance of the Algerian economy, especially in the aspect of exporting digital services

PROS

In fact, unlike many other statistical programs, I consider that SPSS is the simplest and least complex statistical program, and it will require you only a short time to become familiar with it and master its use. SPSS program is excellent in descriptive statistics, analysis of variance, and also basic regression analysis, which are very necessary aspects for researchers The use of this statistical program is not limited to researchers in universities only but can be relied upon in business organizations to prepare reliable and reliable business reports and improve the decision-making process

CONS

On the other hand, the SBS program may not be able to deal with very large data, and from my experience, I can also say that the statistical methods used in the field of social sciences (and this is clear from its name), it is very likely that the results and outputs of the SBS program It will change if the user changes the order of the inputs, and therefore the user will have to experiment several times in a different order and compare the results, especially in the aspect of logistic analysis and generalized linear models

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed April 2019

Criminologist's best friend

The SPSS has been part of my training as a professional, and later I have used it very often in the development of my theses to obtain higher academic degrees. In my profession, it is very useful to process statistical information that helps to make appropriate decisions regarding public policy. So he's my best friend as a criminologist.

PROS

The SPSS is part of the training of any criminologist interested in studying the criminal phenomenon. It is a complete program that allows any statistical analysis to help generate tables, graphs, and perform statistical tests that allow variables to be associated. It is very easy to use and has a very nice interface. Each new version incorporates interesting elements that allow the analysis to be extended, even with qualitative data. I use it very often in research and to present information of statistical relevance. It is the best statistical package for the social sciences. Of course it is used by many scientific disciplines such as sociology and psychology.

CONS

It may seem expensive at first, but the benefits are numerous, and it is worth investing in it. Of the rest I have nothing negative to say.

Mowshori

Reviewed September 2022

IBM SPSS offers a wide range of ways to analysis data for research based project management.

It is highly beneficial for our research project data analysis.

PROS

SPSS is a powerful statistical tool with built-in functions that let researchers run a wide range of complex statistical tests for our research project. SPSS is used by researchers because their results are easy to understand. SPSS displays data tables and other information quickly and easily for our research project. I along with my team members can use this software to access a wide range of statistical models with a lot of flexibility for our research project.

CONS

This program's graphs aren't as good as those in others. Due to its high cost, researchers in developing countries can't use SPSS. Sometimes, compatibility problems can make things harder for the us.

Reason for choosing IBM SPSS Statistics

I can use the free version for our research based data analysis.

Reasons for switching to IBM SPSS Statistics

More analysis can be done easily.

Dawood

Construction, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2022

The best tool for obtaining accurate and reliable results for statistical analyzes

SPSS has helped automate the statistical analysis process, eliminated cumbersome manual calculations and enabled us to obtain accurate and reliable results.

PROS

SPSS is one of the best statistical analysis tools that I have dealt with, and it gives you accurate results that you can trust. SPSS provides multiple options for importing data, where I can easily import the data I want to analyze from Excel. I like the simple method in which Regression is analyzed and how the independent and dependent variables are entered. I also like how we can simply copy the results tables and send them to MS Word and Excel to complete the reports we are working on.

CONS

It's hard to find unwanted things, it's easy to use and just needs a little practice of the operations you want to perform. The availability of educational materials about all the operations that SPSS performs enables users to gain a greater understanding of the analytics they are working on.

Anthony

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2023

Powerful Data Analysis Tool

Overall, IBM SPSS Statistics is a solid choice for data analysis, but it's not perfect. You'll need to weigh the pros and cons and decide if it's the right fit for you.

PROS

I found IBM SPSS Statistics to be an effective tool for analyzing data. It offers a wide range of statistical techniques and tools that allows me to delve deep into my data and uncover meaningful insights. One of the greatest advantages of this software is its user-friendly interface which makes it easy for me to access the tools and features, even as a new user of data analysis. Additionally, the visualization tools are exceptional, enabling me to create various charts and graphs that help me see patterns and trends in my data.

CONS

Now, there are a couple of downsides I least liked about it. First off, it's not exactly cheap. If you're a small organization or just a single user, you might have to fork over a decent chunk of cash to use it. And it's not the most beginner-friendly thing in the world, so you'll probably need to put in a little bit of time to learn how to use all the features. Plus, it's not open source, so that might be a deal breaker for some folks. And finally, it's not as good as R or Python for super advanced analysis.

Reviewed November 2018

SPSS for digital mental health research

I am the Principal Investigator of a NIMH funded study that aims to test the efficacy of digital platforms in delivering cognitive training software to people with psychotic illnesses. Our serves store enormous amounts of data and we leverage the processing ability of SPSS to customize multiple data analysis pipelines. I've used SPSS for almost 10 years now and I must admit that it continues to represent an indispensable tool in my research.

PROS

SPSS Is the milestone of our data analysis pipeline. The software has been increasingly more user friendly release after release, the graphical interface is more intuitive, and the customization options have improved. SPSS syntax is easy to learn, implement, and teach to students in the lab.

CONS

Some advanced statistical functions require syntax that isn't available through the menu options. I find myself sending syntax to colleagues and students in order to accelerate collaborative analytical projects

Rashid