What are Invoice Ninja users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Invoice Ninja software through verified user reviews

• icon"Love this program it is so easy to use and love the different layouts to choose from."
  • icon"Time tracker for tracking hours for billable billing...expense tracker as well...all easy to use features that I've been quite happy with."
  • icon"Flexibility, power, functionality, clarity, integrations, value."
  • icon"Support is fast but often not efficient enough. Some features are not working properly."
  • icon"I can't think of anything I dislike about Invoice Ninja."
  • icon"The fact that you have to pay to have white label license in self hosted environment. Some minor problems in invoice design."

Browse all Invoice Ninja Reviews

• Have you used Invoice Ninja and would like to share your experience with others?

Alberto

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

An Amazing Invoicing Software that Will Leave You and Your Clients in Awe

Kenric

Awesome software for a small business

This is a helpful way for me to manage my company's invoices especially on the go. It is perfect for my self ran business.

Pros

Easy to setup and use out of the box. Lots of information if you need help. Can create multiple companies and multiple users.

Cons

The invoice preview wasn't working for me by default. I had to download every invoice to just see what I was sending. I googled a small and simple fix. I just had to disable a setting and previews worked as expected.

Reasons for switching to Invoice Ninja

Invoice ninja was more modern. Easier interface and mobile friendly. This is just a more robust platform than what I was using before. It is also easier to customize.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind words and having you on board, thank you! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Replied April 2020

Trevor

The Best All Around Solution

Invoice Ninja is the invoicing solution I've always needed! Finally! But it's not just invoicing, it easily enables me to track my time, my income and my expenses as well (plus you can do even more with it if you want!). And it does this all at a very fair and affordable price for this sector. Many of the competitors are simply over priced, especially for sole traders that don't do a ton of business. It's also amazing that it is both powerful and easy to use. If you don't need to do much with it, then you can very quickly just get invoicing. For those who like to tinker and tweak or need more functionality, then it can do that too. It's rare to find both ease of use and powerful customization together.

Pros

Very easy to use and setup, yet at the same time the flexibility and functionality exceeds all other options I've tried in this sector.

Cons

There is one or two missing features that are key for me (combined currency income for example), but those are coming with the soon to be released next major version.

Reasons for switching to Invoice Ninja

FreshBooks got too expensive and they totally bungled their major new version release in 2015/2016. And.co switched from free to essentially only paid plans by severely crippling their free version. They didn't offer any low/mid tier plan, which I would have been happy to pay for. Instead they only had one plan, and it was very expensive (for what it did).

Response from InvoiceNinja

GREAT REVIEW!!! Thank you so much for your kind words and taking time to share! We're glad to have you as part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Replied February 2021

Jonathan

March 2022

Free Invoice Solution - No More Excuses

Incredibly helpful and uncorked a big bottleneck for getting my business started. Also powerful enough to continue to use even beyond the startup phase.

Pros

The amount of work it took off my plate. I didn't have to pay someone to send invoices or struggle with PDF templates, Google doc formatting, or other bloated invoice software.

Cons

The Invoice Ninja messaging is a little low budget, but I also know INC 5000 companies that use the free version. It's really a matter of preference.

Reasons for choosing Invoice Ninja

It was recommended by an INC 5000 ad agency as I was building my business and needed an easy-to-use and powerful cloud-based invoice generator. That was three years ago and I haven't looked back.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback! Welcome to the Invoice Ninja community!

Replied March 2022

Richard

Industry: Utilities

Beware

They lied to us and I spent a week swapping over and now going back to quick books because you can only have 300 customers with a growth of just 100 a month. So I'm being penalized for growth so no way.

Pros

I purchased this program to get away from quick books and after talking to them about my customer load they made it sound like it was no problem. As soon as I sent out reacurring invoices they started flagging my account saying I had to many and it was considered phishing. I'm in trash collections and have over 1000 customers that's why I paid them money so I could have unlimited. I'm going back to quick books.

Cons

They liked to me saying I could have unlimited customers when they only let you have 300 and can only grow by 100 a month.

Reasons for switching to Invoice Ninja

Thought it was a easier platform

Response from InvoiceNinja

We allow unlimited customers & unlimited invoices. For NEW account only we limit 300 emails DAILY (9,300 monthly), to avoid spammers. The limit is increased each month an account is active.

Replied April 2020

Robbe

Industry: Graphic Design

Great invoicing system

Pros

10 out of 10. Easy to use, good user interface and overall great system. All invoicing options are available. 100% working and reliable.

Cons

This is only on a selfhosted system: Automatic backup options are only possible with knowledge of SQL. You can export settings and data by hand but you cant do it automatically .

Response from InvoiceNinja

AMAZING REVIEW! Thank you so much for taking the time to give such incredible feedback! WE appreciate it!

Replied January 2022

Kyle

Nothing else like Invoice Ninja!

Overall, I really love Invoice Ninja however! The team listens to feedback, and actively works to fix issues. They care about their product, and offer it at a reasonable price. I self host, which is free, and I support them by buying a white label license to remove the invoice ninja branding on invoices.

Pros

Invoice Ninja is incredibly powerful and offers the ability to self host, which is of big importance for myself. I particularly like the client portal and the ability for my clients to log in at anytime to view their active or past invoices and payments. The ability to customise most of the details such as what is displayed on your invoice, where it's displayed, the colours, etc. is really great. Other solutions charge a monthly fee just to have custom fields! I love the way the workflow works with quotes too, where I can create a quote and if it becomes approved via the client portal it can get turned into an invoice automatically. Being able to access it from a browser anywhere to get my invoicing done or use an app on virtually every platform there is, is fantastic. Oh, and it actually looks great on mobile. It's all the little bits and pieces and the constantly evolving feature set that makes Invoice Ninja the best.

Cons

V4 was virtually indestructible compared to v5, but v5 is getting to a very good point and the team had a very valid reason for the overhaul. Things work seamlessly across devices with the same frameworks being used. The only downside is a fair few bugs here and there, some of them which have even been a deal breaker at an earlier point in time so I had to continue using V4 until they were fixed up. A few issues still exist but the team does listen and actively works to resolve them. I report whatever bugs or issues I find and continue to support the team regardless. I'd also like to see an inventory tracker come into play. That would be really useful.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fantastic review! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback and being part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Replied October 2021

Eduardo

Awesome CRM and Invoicing Tool

This service has made it easier for me to do work that I need to do, managing client information and invoicing them.

Pros

I love that it is web-based. Also, it's a plus that it is open-source. It has got really useful features. I love that I can use it for CRM, invoicing and quotes. Clients also get their own invoice-payment dashboard too.

Cons

The only downside I could think of is there is no easy way to manually do curency conversion. They have an automated conversion, which works well. But, when I'm paid in a foreign currency, I need to use the currency conversion information from a different source. As far as I can tell, there isn't an easy way to do it custom like that.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your support & fabulous review! We very much appreciate it!!!

Replied June 2021

Alberto

An Amazing Invoicing Software that Will Leave You and Your Clients in Awe

Invoice Ninja is an invoicing software that can make your business look that much more professional. For the small price tag, you get a very powerful, fully customizable system that will make your invoicing headaches disappear. We have linked Stripe and Authorize.Net to it with a simple copy and paste of the payment gateway key and within minutes we were charging customers. I highly recommend Invoice Ninja!

Pros

InvoiceNinja is extremely easy to use for both your team and clients. It allows for you to create customizable and nicely designed invoices and quotes. You can customize the messaging sent in email communications. It also gives your clients their own portals to manage their accounts.

Cons

Reoccuring invoices can be difficult to use and understand how they work. Also, when sending quotes they valid dates seem to end the day before in the evening and clients cannot accept the pricing sent so a new quote must be sent. There is also a lack of direct customer support and instead provide a knowledge base.

Reasons for switching to Invoice Ninja

We used Wave Payments but after an abrupt closing of our relationship with them we moved to Invoice Ninja and never looked back.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your support & high recommendation! If you every need any support or have questions, we're at your service! Thanks again!

Replied December 2019

Dennis

Gets the job done!

Pros

InvoiceNinja works out-of-the-box. It's easy and reliable and specifically designed for freelancers and SMEs.

Cons

Would love to see integration for platforms such as Payoneer and QuickBooks for payment requests and accounting. However, I understand that the lack thereof is probably more of an issue with respective providers. The proposal editor could use a rework as well to make it more intuitive.

Reasons for switching to Invoice Ninja

QuickBooks is so much more expensive considering the slim feature set. For consulting related book keeping with less than a few dozen transactions a month it's complete overkill.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! Thank you for your kind words and being apart of the Invoice Ninja community! If you have any questions we're at your service!

Replied March 2021

Yasien

A Happy'ish Invoice Ninja Client

I would like to see the clients phone number on the main Client screen. Some more updated youtube videos will be appreciated.

Pros

Invoice Ninja is easy to use and support has been very impressive when needed. I like that I can almost forget to do invoicing because it is done for you, especially recurring invoicing. It would be nice if statements could be sent out automatically on all overdue accounts.

Cons

I cannot always tell if clients have Viewed their invoices. Syncing with phone app not reliable for android. Proposals need some work. I am using Plutio.com for my proposals and digital signatures. The proposal sections look dated. More templates and a community that can share temples.

Invoicing, Timekeeping, Proposals and Projects all in one with credit notes

Reasons for switching to Invoice Ninja

No credit note. Cannot assign one payment to multiple invoices. NO time tracking and project management.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your lovely review & great feedback/input! We'll definitely take your input into consideration as we release future updates!

Replied March 2020

Aslam

Invoice Ninja - Invoicing Made Easy

- Been over a year that I am using the software had no issues. - Other than connectivity issue with hosting provider. - Forums for assistance and help from others

Pros

- Easy of use - Customization of the software - Integration to payment gateways - Automatic Invoice Reminders

Cons

- No inventory option would be nice - Additional Columns to be added for customization - Mobile tutorials for users

Reasons for choosing Invoice Ninja

Installation on hosting provider using Softaculous install Cost factor yearly subscription Support Forum

Response from InvoiceNinja

Awesome review, thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback! It's appreciated!

Replied January 2021

Go Global with Invoice Ninja

Global Billing Single Payment gateway. Multiple users worldwide.

Pros

Hi., We have customers worldwide and we sell our subscription service to the customers for the shipping portal freightmarket.com Invoice ninja has helped us to expand globally by billing clients in multiple currency using a single payment gateway. Highly recomended for business trading worldwide

Cons

Simple to use and easy to understand. If you cant use Invoice ninja, you shouldnt be in business. Cheap pricing

Issues in global billing. Unable to complete a sale in Sri Lanka on the gateway

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your great review, we're thrilled you love our platform!

Replied November 2019

ALlexandre

March 2022

The best invoicing application

Pros

It is extremely easy to use, and, as a small business, the free edition has everything I need to invoice my customers

Cons

The translation to Portuguese is sometimes confusing, but that is not a serious problem.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! Thank you very much your complements and being part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Replied April 2022

Bingen

Nice, convenient, good price... open source!

Pros

- Open source - Easy to use - Good price

Cons

Everything is fine for me, I’m not missing anything.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! Thank you very much for your kind feedback! We will continue working to make it great!

Replied January 2022

Jason

Industry: Building Materials

Has vastly improved my invoicing process and made easy what was once an arduous task.

Pros

This software is so easy to use, but is packed with features! Everything gets calculated automatically, and all of my clients' information is stored in one place. Probably the most valuable feature for me is the automatic email reminders, since some clients forget to pay me on time. I never have to go back and figure out who's paid me and who hasn't, since Invoice Ninja tracks this for me. I can even see who has Viewed my invoices, which is very helpful.

Cons

1. I think recurring invoices can be improved. Ideally, payments would automatically be drafted at each interval, rather than emailing an invoice for client to pay. Also, I'd like a better way to automatically display the correct service date range for quarterly invoices when the recurring invoices are generated. For annual invoices, I can use the year variable which would change each year, but for custom date ranges every quarter I haven't figured out an automatic method. I just change the date range manually before the next invoice is sent. 2. Although data can be exported, tax information is not. It would be VERY helpful to have sales tax info exported as well, instead of total invoice amounts. Currently, I have to look at each invoice individually each quarter when filing state sales tax returns. That is the only way I can determine pre-tax revenue amounts.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your very kind review! Please email us and we'll help you setup auto-billing so your invoices are automatically paid. When editing a recurring invoice if you click the question mark next to the frequency select you'll see some more help. Invoice item taxes have been added to the export in our latest release.

Replied November 2017

Erik

Affordable Feature-Rich Small Business Invoicing Software

Invoice Ninja saves me a ton of administrative time as it allows me to track time spent on projects for clients, create quotes and invoices with ease, and doesn't have a plethora of "extras" that I'd otherwise be paying for (but not necessarily using) through another invoicing provider. Overall it provides me with the best value for an entry-level invoicing solution based on the features I currently need, so I don't see myself switching from Invoice Ninja for quite some time.

Pros

I settled on Invoice Ninja after trying a plethora of other free or low-cost open source invoicing platforms because it's super easy to navigate, and handles importing and exporting data with ease. Installing a self-hosted instance was a breeze and updates have always gone smoothly without causing any downtime for me. Managing client contact information to generate quotes or track time is simple, as is creating, sending, and getting paid for Invoices. I definitely recommend Invoice Ninja to any small business looking for a relatively simple and inexpensive invoicing solution.

Cons

I don't have many complaints about Invoice Ninja, but there are a few things I'd like to see improved in future updates. Invoice Ninja's self-hosted installation & update process becoming easier through an automated installer / updater, similar to WordPress, would be great to see for those who are less technically savvy. I'd also love to see service tracking / ticketing implemented for repair tracking, and maybe even job tracking for businesses with mobile technicians or tradesmen, like plumbers or mobile mechanics. The Invoice Ninja team is very open with users about what needs fixing and implementing though, so I know they'll listen if enough people request a specific feature or report bugs.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fantastic review! Regarding your feedback, right now we're working to launch a "ticketing" system that we also be used as a CRM & in-house tool for your team, you can see the video here for a pre-release demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3j2sCwrvc Thank you again!!!

Aurore

After trial testing, I signed up for pro version and am very satisfied with it !

Pros

First of all, a multilingual app is great, more comfortable to work in your native language. One of the greatest feature in task and timer (timer can be installed directly on computer). In one click, task (with detailed timing) can be transformed in invoice, and a second click to send it to the client. I saved so much time with that !! Working in graphic design, invoice template is important to me. I tested many billing and invoicing systems. Finally Invoiceninja was the best choice. Nice templates for beginners. And customization allows good design (just need to work on code, but support and videos help you on that). Customer support is great, very quick (reply few minutes later) and very helpful. Clients propose various new features through the forum, and the dev team continue to improve the app considering clients feedback. Finally, invoices and quotes are so easy to create, there is no need to say more on that! Products list is a smart feature. Creating a catalogue of all products ans services makes invoicing very fast and intuitive. Once again, so much time saved. There is plenty of options in this app. Through features and custom fields, the app becomes your app, according your needs and your billing way. I can't wait to use Zapier to connect my shop with the invoicing app. After that, administrative works will not need anymore dedicated days on my calendar (only few minutes per month)

Cons

Actually, I can not think of any cons. Of course, it is natural to want more and more features but comparing to other apps, this app is the best and more accurate. Moreover, after many topics on support forum, support helped me a lot to resolve all issues. And try to add new features or options to match these needs.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your kind review! I'm so glad that you're enjoying the platform and features! If we can add anything or address any questions, we're here to help! Thanks again!

Mike

Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support.

Pros

Invoice Ninja is extremely easy to use, which is their main point. But that ease of use doesn't mean it doesn't have powerful features. There's plenty of functionality for freelancers such as myself to make getting paid a snap. The developers are also a top-notch group. Any time I've had an issue or a question, they're always quick to either fix a bug or point out exactly what I need to do to solve a problem. You don't get that from larger shops that have a bunch first-tier support people following a script. Having a developer team that communicates efficiently with the user base makes all the difference in the world. From an administrative standpoint, I could probably run it on a toaster as long as I had enough space for my database. If you choose to go the self-hosted route, there's no need for high-end VPS solutions. A single core with a gig of ram and some storage is more than enough to get you up and running.

Cons

If I had to pick something to gripe about, it would be that the setup process for self-hosted can be a bit finnicky for beginners. But once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. Setting up my own deployment has helped me learn a lot about Linux administration, so it's a win in the end.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Wow! Great review! "Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support." this says it all! Thank you for much for your kind words and support!

Terry

I have been using Invoice Ninja for years now

The customers pay me on time!

Pros

This is free and open source invoice system. I have been using this for over two years and loved it! It is easy for my clients and me. It also helps my clients to understand what they owe and what the cost the products. I have used various payment gateways for this and have not had a single complaint from any of my clients. This software is highly recommended to anyone, and I have been telling my clients about Invoice Ninja for a long time. They do host your invoice, or you can do self-hosting. It works great along with WordPress or other CMS to add the buy now button or recurring invoices. I had used hosted by Invoice Ninja when I didn't have to host account or a place to host it, and now I am hosting it on my dedicated server. Whenever I have an issue with anything, they will respond to the email very quickly and help you fix the problems.

Cons

There is not one single thing I do not like about this software. If I didn't like this software, I would have gone with another invoice system.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! This sentence says it all: " customers pay me on time" that is our goal! Thank you so for our kind review, we're super happy that it helps you GET PAID!

Industry: Information Services

Invoice Ninja is professional, reliable and cost effective

We wanted a way to configure recurring billing, the solution must integrate with Stripe and QuickBooks. Invoice Ninja gets the job done.

Pros

We are able to self-host Invoice Ninja on our cpanel website using Softaculous, other panels supported by Softaculous will also work.

Cons

Some functions aren't intuitive. For example importing takes some work. On the plus side forum support provided by the developer is excellent.

Reasons for choosing Invoice Ninja

Excellent community forum. Open source code.

Reasons for switching to Invoice Ninja

Blesta is designed for web hosts, we were using it to bill our professional services. Invoice Ninja is designed for our type of business - a professional services firm.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! Thank you for your fantastic feedback!

Replied June 2020

A great solution for small business invoicing.

Whether using the hosted version, or hosting yourself, Invoice Ninja is a great option for handling your small business invoicing.

Pros

The invoicing is super easy, and the recurring invoicing is a big plus to this software. Time tracker for tracking hours for billable billing...expense tracker as well...all easy to use features that I've been quite happy with. I switched from another service that I loved, but had become too expensive, and have been very happy that I switched as I have more features available with Invoice Ninja. One of the features I LOVE, is the ability to set up multiple companies on one login!

Cons

I would love to see an option for recurring billing setup with Paypal so my recurring invoice clients can "set it and forget it". I would also like to see a little more flexibility with template customizing via the admin, I had to make some changes via code, which isn't a problem for me, but less savvy users may find that a detriment.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! We appreciate your kind words! We're working everyday to add features, and keep the pricing down! We're so happy that you found Invoice Ninja, thank you again!

Eric

Streamlined my invoicing and quoting

Invoice Ninja has allowed us to streamline our process for quotes and invoices. Since switching we are able to get quotes and invoices out to customers almost instantly without techs having to refer everything back to the office.

Pros

I love that I can access Invoice Ninja from anywhere whether I'm in my office or infront of a customer I can quickly put together a quote, lookup a product or send off an invoice. With the customer portal my customers know exactly where they stand, saving my staff time from having to look up information for customers. We love that customers can accept or decline quotes, and pay invoices right from their email or portal. Getting notifications when customers have completed actions such as viewing an invoice helps us know where our customers stand in the quote and invoice process.

Cons

I wish the project and time tracking modules were improved a bit, they don't exactly fit our needs, but it's not a deal breaker. I also would love to be able to add pictures of each product so that when the customer sees a quote or invoice they can see a picture of the product.

Laura

Extremely easy to use, very clear and intuitive

I think the toggle menu on the right (displaying the latest invoices) is not necessary, so I just keep it closed.

Pros

I operate a small freelance business, and Invoice Ninja is perfect for my needs. I have no accounting/bookkeeping experience or knowledge, and I find that with Invoice Ninja, I can do everything I need to invoice my clients and get paid online very easily and quickly. Customer support is beyond anything I've seen before. When I've had questions or issues in the past, I've sent an email and received a response almost instantly. The free version is very suitable for my needs, and they don't hassle me to upgrade. It really is free. My clients are very happy with the system. It makes receiving/paying invoices and receiving receipts very easy for them too. I also really like the fact that the invoices look good, without me having to do anything really. I'm a writer - not a bookkeeper, not a software programmer, and not a graphic designer. Invoice Ninja is a good solution that doesn't demand any special knowledge or effort from me. From my poitn of view, that's probably its strongest point.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review, we really appreciate it!

Replied October 2017

Invoice Ninja - Invoices

The “Estimates” and the “proposal” functionality is one of a kind for a product in this category.

Pros

Cons

Services and Products unable to be combined in single invoice when generated from expenses and tasks. For “tasks” the manually recording the hours is time consuming because it requires entry of the actual day time hours. The first thing the customer portal home page displays in 18pt font when my customer logs in, is the total amount the customer has paid (not owes, not billed, not quoted) since inception; to much information (TMI) With no advantage to any business.

Reasons for choosing Invoice Ninja

Best overall option For our requirements.

FreshBooks

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your review & important input! We'll work to improve/implement your requests with our upcoming v2 release in mid 2020!

Replied January 2020