• Pros

• "Love this program it is so easy to use and love the different layouts to choose from"

• "Feature rich and very very lightweight, always runs quick. Support is outstanding and all feature requests are considered fairly and if approved implimented very quickly!"

• "Love that Invoice Ninja is super easy to use and has a variety of valuable features. Additionally, the price is right!"

• Cons

• "Wish it would integrate with Quickbooks, but even though it doesn't, it's value outweighs the costs of having to manually enter client payments."

• "Support is fast but often not efficient enough. Some features are not working properly. "

• "I'm also using the open source version of it, and the optimization is still a bit misterious, I have a bit of troubles to make it as fast as the online version. But I'll figure it out :)"

Browse Invoice Ninja Reviews

Trevor from Creative Logic Tech Solutions

The Best All Around Solution

Invoice Ninja is the invoicing solution I've always needed! Finally! But it's not just invoicing, it easily enables me to track my time, my income and my expenses as well (plus you can do even more with it if you want!). And it does this all at a very fair and affordable price for this sector. Many of the competitors are simply over priced, especially for sole traders that don't do a ton of business. It's also amazing that it is both powerful and easy to use. If you don't need to do much with it, then you can very quickly just get invoicing. For those who like to tinker and tweak or need more functionality, then it can do that too. It's rare to find both ease of use and powerful customization together.

Pros

Very easy to use and setup, yet at the same time the flexibility and functionality exceeds all other options I've tried in this sector.

Cons

There is one or two missing features that are key for me (combined currency income for example), but those are coming with the soon to be released next major version.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

FreshBooks got too expensive and they totally bungled their major new version release in 2015/2016. And.co switched from free to essentially only paid plans by severely crippling their free version. They didn't offer any low/mid tier plan, which I would have been happy to pay for. Instead they only had one plan, and it was very expensive (for what it did).

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied February 2021

GREAT REVIEW!!! Thank you so much for your kind words and taking time to share! We're glad to have you as part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Alberto from Gradehacker

An Amazing Invoicing Software that Will Leave You and Your Clients in Awe

Invoice Ninja is an invoicing software that can make your business look that much more professional. For the small price tag, you get a very powerful, fully customizable system that will make your invoicing headaches disappear. We have linked Stripe and Authorize.Net to it with a simple copy and paste of the payment gateway key and within minutes we were charging customers. I highly recommend Invoice Ninja!

Pros

InvoiceNinja is extremely easy to use for both your team and clients. It allows for you to create customizable and nicely designed invoices and quotes. You can customize the messaging sent in email communications. It also gives your clients their own portals to manage their accounts.

Cons

Reoccuring invoices can be difficult to use and understand how they work. Also, when sending quotes they valid dates seem to end the day before in the evening and clients cannot accept the pricing sent so a new quote must be sent. There is also a lack of direct customer support and instead provide a knowledge base.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

We used Wave Payments but after an abrupt closing of our relationship with them we moved to Invoice Ninja and never looked back.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied December 2019

Thank you very much for your support & high recommendation! If you every need any support or have questions, we're at your service! Thanks again!

Richard from Waste Removers

Industry: Utilities

Beware

They lied to us and I spent a week swapping over and now going back to quick books because you can only have 300 customers with a growth of just 100 a month. So I'm being penalized for growth so no way.

Pros

I purchased this program to get away from quick books and after talking to them about my customer load they made it sound like it was no problem. As soon as I sent out reacurring invoices they started flagging my account saying I had to many and it was considered phishing. I'm in trash collections and have over 1000 customers that's why I paid them money so I could have unlimited. I'm going back to quick books.

Cons

They liked to me saying I could have unlimited customers when they only let you have 300 and can only grow by 100 a month.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

Thought it was a easier platform

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied April 2020

We allow unlimited customers & unlimited invoices. For NEW account only we limit 300 emails DAILY (9,300 monthly), to avoid spammers. The limit is increased each month an account is active.

Dennis from Immerse Networks Limited

Gets the job done!

Pros

InvoiceNinja works out-of-the-box. It's easy and reliable and specifically designed for freelancers and SMEs.

Cons

Would love to see integration for platforms such as Payoneer and QuickBooks for payment requests and accounting. However, I understand that the lack thereof is probably more of an issue with respective providers. The proposal editor could use a rework as well to make it more intuitive.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

QuickBooks is so much more expensive considering the slim feature set. For consulting related book keeping with less than a few dozen transactions a month it's complete overkill.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied March 2021

Great review! Thank you for your kind words and being apart of the Invoice Ninja community! If you have any questions we're at your service!

Yasien from Yasien Sarlie Web Design

A Happy'ish Invoice Ninja Client

I would like to see the clients phone number on the main Client screen. Some more updated youtube videos will be appreciated.

Pros

Invoice Ninja is easy to use and support has been very impressive when needed. I like that I can almost forget to do invoicing because it is done for you, especially recurring invoicing. It would be nice if statements could be sent out automatically on all overdue accounts.

Cons

I cannot always tell if clients have Viewed their invoices. Syncing with phone app not reliable for android. Proposals need some work. I am using Plutio.com for my proposals and digital signatures. The proposal sections look dated. More templates and a community that can share temples.

Invoicing, Timekeeping, Proposals and Projects all in one with credit notes

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

No credit note. Cannot assign one payment to multiple invoices. NO time tracking and project management.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied March 2020

Thank you for your lovely review & great feedback/input! We'll definitely take your input into consideration as we release future updates!

John from Freightmarket.com

Go Global with Invoice Ninja

Global Billing Single Payment gateway. Multiple users worldwide.

Pros

Hi., We have customers worldwide and we sell our subscription service to the customers for the shipping portal freightmarket.com Invoice ninja has helped us to expand globally by billing clients in multiple currency using a single payment gateway. Highly recomended for business trading worldwide

Cons

Simple to use and easy to understand. If you cant use Invoice ninja, you shouldnt be in business. Cheap pricing

Issues in global billing. Unable to complete a sale in Sri Lanka on the gateway

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied November 2019

Thank you very much for your great review, we're thrilled you love our platform!

John from Katy Computer Systems

Industry: Information Services

Invoice Ninja is professional, reliable and cost effective

We wanted a way to configure recurring billing, the solution must integrate with Stripe and QuickBooks. Invoice Ninja gets the job done.

Pros

We are able to self-host Invoice Ninja on our cpanel website using Softaculous, other panels supported by Softaculous will also work.

Cons

Some functions aren't intuitive. For example importing takes some work. On the plus side forum support provided by the developer is excellent.

Reasons for Choosing Invoice Ninja

Excellent community forum. Open source code.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

Blesta is designed for web hosts, we were using it to bill our professional services. Invoice Ninja is designed for our type of business - a professional services firm.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied June 2020

Great review! Thank you for your fantastic feedback!

Aslam from Ace Tech Ds

Invoice Ninja - Invoicing Made Easy

- Been over a year that I am using the software had no issues. - Other than connectivity issue with hosting provider. - Forums for assistance and help from others

Pros

- Easy of use - Customization of the software - Integration to payment gateways - Automatic Invoice Reminders

Cons

- No inventory option would be nice - Additional Columns to be added for customization - Mobile tutorials for users

Reasons for Choosing Invoice Ninja

Installation on hosting provider using Softaculous install Cost factor yearly subscription Support Forum

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied January 2021

Awesome review, thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback! It's appreciated!

Kenric from Kubitt

Awesome software for a small business

This is a helpful way for me to manage my company's invoices especially on the go. It is perfect for my self ran business.

Pros

Easy to setup and use out of the box. Lots of information if you need help. Can create multiple companies and multiple users.

Cons

The invoice preview wasn't working for me by default. I had to download every invoice to just see what I was sending. I googled a small and simple fix. I just had to disable a setting and previews worked as expected.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

Invoice ninja was more modern. Easier interface and mobile friendly. This is just a more robust platform than what I was using before. It is also easier to customize.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied April 2020

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind words and having you on board, thank you! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Tom from Distinct ICT Australia

Excellent software

Pros

I was able to spin this software up within minutes and begin invoicing immediately. Software is highly customizable. Appreciate the open-source nature

Cons

Australian reporting and integration is where it lacks, and I understand it is hard to integrate with everything but it would be a "nice to have".

Reasons for Choosing Invoice Ninja

Self-host and ownership of data Cheap

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied December 2020

Thank you for your fantastic review! We appreciate you being a part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Jason from The Lawless Group

Industry: Building Materials

Has vastly improved my invoicing process and made easy what was once an arduous task.

Pros

This software is so easy to use, but is packed with features! Everything gets calculated automatically, and all of my clients' information is stored in one place. Probably the most valuable feature for me is the automatic email reminders, since some clients forget to pay me on time. I never have to go back and figure out who's paid me and who hasn't, since Invoice Ninja tracks this for me. I can even see who has Viewed my invoices, which is very helpful.

Cons

1. I think recurring invoices can be improved. Ideally, payments would automatically be drafted at each interval, rather than emailing an invoice for client to pay. Also, I'd like a better way to automatically display the correct service date range for quarterly invoices when the recurring invoices are generated. For annual invoices, I can use the year variable which would change each year, but for custom date ranges every quarter I haven't figured out an automatic method. I just change the date range manually before the next invoice is sent. 2. Although data can be exported, tax information is not. It would be VERY helpful to have sales tax info exported as well, instead of total invoice amounts. Currently, I have to look at each invoice individually each quarter when filing state sales tax returns. That is the only way I can determine pre-tax revenue amounts.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your very kind review! Please email us and we'll help you setup auto-billing so your invoices are automatically paid. When editing a recurring invoice if you click the question mark next to the frequency select you'll see some more help. Invoice item taxes have been added to the export in our latest release.

Erik from Shaw Communications

Affordable Feature-Rich Small Business Invoicing Software

Invoice Ninja saves me a ton of administrative time as it allows me to track time spent on projects for clients, create quotes and invoices with ease, and doesn't have a plethora of "extras" that I'd otherwise be paying for (but not necessarily using) through another invoicing provider. Overall it provides me with the best value for an entry-level invoicing solution based on the features I currently need, so I don't see myself switching from Invoice Ninja for quite some time.

Pros

I settled on Invoice Ninja after trying a plethora of other free or low-cost open source invoicing platforms because it's super easy to navigate, and handles importing and exporting data with ease. Installing a self-hosted instance was a breeze and updates have always gone smoothly without causing any downtime for me. Managing client contact information to generate quotes or track time is simple, as is creating, sending, and getting paid for Invoices. I definitely recommend Invoice Ninja to any small business looking for a relatively simple and inexpensive invoicing solution.

Cons

I don't have many complaints about Invoice Ninja, but there are a few things I'd like to see improved in future updates. Invoice Ninja's self-hosted installation & update process becoming easier through an automated installer / updater, similar to WordPress, would be great to see for those who are less technically savvy. I'd also love to see service tracking / ticketing implemented for repair tracking, and maybe even job tracking for businesses with mobile technicians or tradesmen, like plumbers or mobile mechanics. The Invoice Ninja team is very open with users about what needs fixing and implementing though, so I know they'll listen if enough people request a specific feature or report bugs.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied September 2018

Fantastic review! Regarding your feedback, right now we're working to launch a "ticketing" system that we also be used as a CRM & in-house tool for your team, you can see the video here for a pre-release demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3j2sCwrvc Thank you again!!!

Aurore from Atelier Yun

After trial testing, I signed up for pro version and am very satisfied with it !

Pros

First of all, a multilingual app is great, more comfortable to work in your native language. One of the greatest feature in task and timer (timer can be installed directly on computer). In one click, task (with detailed timing) can be transformed in invoice, and a second click to send it to the client. I saved so much time with that !! Working in graphic design, invoice template is important to me. I tested many billing and invoicing systems. Finally Invoiceninja was the best choice. Nice templates for beginners. And customization allows good design (just need to work on code, but support and videos help you on that). Customer support is great, very quick (reply few minutes later) and very helpful. Clients propose various new features through the forum, and the dev team continue to improve the app considering clients feedback. Finally, invoices and quotes are so easy to create, there is no need to say more on that! Products list is a smart feature. Creating a catalogue of all products ans services makes invoicing very fast and intuitive. Once again, so much time saved. There is plenty of options in this app. Through features and custom fields, the app becomes your app, according your needs and your billing way. I can't wait to use Zapier to connect my shop with the invoicing app. After that, administrative works will not need anymore dedicated days on my calendar (only few minutes per month)

Cons

Actually, I can not think of any cons. Of course, it is natural to want more and more features but comparing to other apps, this app is the best and more accurate. Moreover, after many topics on support forum, support helped me a lot to resolve all issues. And try to add new features or options to match these needs.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied September 2018

Thank you for your kind review! I'm so glad that you're enjoying the platform and features! If we can add anything or address any questions, we're here to help! Thanks again!

Mike from Self-Employed

Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support.

Pros

Invoice Ninja is extremely easy to use, which is their main point. But that ease of use doesn't mean it doesn't have powerful features. There's plenty of functionality for freelancers such as myself to make getting paid a snap. The developers are also a top-notch group. Any time I've had an issue or a question, they're always quick to either fix a bug or point out exactly what I need to do to solve a problem. You don't get that from larger shops that have a bunch first-tier support people following a script. Having a developer team that communicates efficiently with the user base makes all the difference in the world. From an administrative standpoint, I could probably run it on a toaster as long as I had enough space for my database. If you choose to go the self-hosted route, there's no need for high-end VPS solutions. A single core with a gig of ram and some storage is more than enough to get you up and running.

Cons

If I had to pick something to gripe about, it would be that the setup process for self-hosted can be a bit finnicky for beginners. But once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. Setting up my own deployment has helped me learn a lot about Linux administration, so it's a win in the end.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied September 2018

Wow! Great review! "Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support." this says it all! Thank you for much for your kind words and support!

Terry from Whoa Website

I have been using Invoice Ninja for years now

The customers pay me on time!

Pros

This is free and open source invoice system. I have been using this for over two years and loved it! It is easy for my clients and me. It also helps my clients to understand what they owe and what the cost the products. I have used various payment gateways for this and have not had a single complaint from any of my clients. This software is highly recommended to anyone, and I have been telling my clients about Invoice Ninja for a long time. They do host your invoice, or you can do self-hosting. It works great along with WordPress or other CMS to add the buy now button or recurring invoices. I had used hosted by Invoice Ninja when I didn't have to host account or a place to host it, and now I am hosting it on my dedicated server. Whenever I have an issue with anything, they will respond to the email very quickly and help you fix the problems.

Cons

There is not one single thing I do not like about this software. If I didn't like this software, I would have gone with another invoice system.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied September 2018

Great review! This sentence says it all: " customers pay me on time" that is our goal! Thank you so for our kind review, we're super happy that it helps you GET PAID!

Eric from Nerd2U

Streamlined my invoicing and quoting

Invoice Ninja has allowed us to streamline our process for quotes and invoices. Since switching we are able to get quotes and invoices out to customers almost instantly without techs having to refer everything back to the office.

Pros

I love that I can access Invoice Ninja from anywhere whether I'm in my office or infront of a customer I can quickly put together a quote, lookup a product or send off an invoice. With the customer portal my customers know exactly where they stand, saving my staff time from having to look up information for customers. We love that customers can accept or decline quotes, and pay invoices right from their email or portal. Getting notifications when customers have completed actions such as viewing an invoice helps us know where our customers stand in the quote and invoice process.

Cons

I wish the project and time tracking modules were improved a bit, they don't exactly fit our needs, but it's not a deal breaker. I also would love to be able to add pictures of each product so that when the customer sees a quote or invoice they can see a picture of the product.

A great solution for small business invoicing.

Whether using the hosted version, or hosting yourself, Invoice Ninja is a great option for handling your small business invoicing.

Pros

The invoicing is super easy, and the recurring invoicing is a big plus to this software. Time tracker for tracking hours for billable billing...expense tracker as well...all easy to use features that I've been quite happy with. I switched from another service that I loved, but had become too expensive, and have been very happy that I switched as I have more features available with Invoice Ninja. One of the features I LOVE, is the ability to set up multiple companies on one login!

Cons

I would love to see an option for recurring billing setup with Paypal so my recurring invoice clients can "set it and forget it". I would also like to see a little more flexibility with template customizing via the admin, I had to make some changes via code, which isn't a problem for me, but less savvy users may find that a detriment.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied September 2018

Great review! We appreciate your kind words! We're working everyday to add features, and keep the pricing down! We're so happy that you found Invoice Ninja, thank you again!

Laura from www.likewritingservices.com

Extremely easy to use, very clear and intuitive

I think the toggle menu on the right (displaying the latest invoices) is not necessary, so I just keep it closed.

Pros

I operate a small freelance business, and Invoice Ninja is perfect for my needs. I have no accounting/bookkeeping experience or knowledge, and I find that with Invoice Ninja, I can do everything I need to invoice my clients and get paid online very easily and quickly. Customer support is beyond anything I've seen before. When I've had questions or issues in the past, I've sent an email and received a response almost instantly. The free version is very suitable for my needs, and they don't hassle me to upgrade. It really is free. My clients are very happy with the system. It makes receiving/paying invoices and receiving receipts very easy for them too. I also really like the fact that the invoices look good, without me having to do anything really. I'm a writer - not a bookkeeper, not a software programmer, and not a graphic designer. Invoice Ninja is a good solution that doesn't demand any special knowledge or effort from me. From my poitn of view, that's probably its strongest point.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review, we really appreciate it!

Michael from Griffin Technology Solutions

Invoice Ninja - Invoices

The “Estimates” and the “proposal” functionality is one of a kind for a product in this category.

Pros

Cons

Services and Products unable to be combined in single invoice when generated from expenses and tasks. For “tasks” the manually recording the hours is time consuming because it requires entry of the actual day time hours. The first thing the customer portal home page displays in 18pt font when my customer logs in, is the total amount the customer has paid (not owes, not billed, not quoted) since inception; to much information (TMI) With no advantage to any business.

Reasons for Choosing Invoice Ninja

Best overall option For our requirements.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied January 2020

Thank you very much for your review & important input! We'll work to improve/implement your requests with our upcoming v2 release in mid 2020!

Raymond from Picture Framing Studio

Hands down the best value for money product we got for our business.

Pros

This software has streamlined our interaction with our clients like no other product. I can't remember the last time a client phoned and asked us to send a statement. Clients ask us what software we are using. Everybody who uses it is pleased with it. Now that we have been using it for a while, there is real value in seeing all the transactions in one place. New features are constantly being added. Response from support requests are always promptly handled. I love Invoice Ninja.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything that I am not happy with. There are no negatives. When multiple contacts are loaded for a company, the one that was loaded first, is always the one shown on the invoice, even after a different contact was selected. A minor issue.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied February 2018

Thank you for your stellar review!

Rio from WeeTech Group LTD

We used to use Clearbooks... InvoiceNinja assassinated that.

Just better finance management. Its very clear in its operation. You can see at a glance whats happening within the company, how much money is owed and how much is earned every quarter etc. Brilliant. haven't found anything as of yet (using it for 6 months paid) and the monthly updates keep improving it. will edit this to reflect if any problems arise

Pros

We are a small digital company based in Scotland and were using clear books... then out of the blue Invoice Ninja got recommended by a client. Its transformed our company finances. Clearbooks had too much, other softwares had very little. Invoice Ninja is right bang in the middle, giving you the necessary tools to go ahead, which is excellent. They keep updating it so its better every month aswell. -Its extremely fluid and easy to use -updating it on the road with the app is excellent -its very clear cut, no clutter

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you for your excellent review! Please feel free to email us at contact@invoiceninja.com to let us know what features you'd like to see added next. In case you haven't seen it you can follow our roadmap here: https://trello.com/b/63BbiVVe/invoice-ninja

Boaz from Boaz Meiri Photography

Industry: Photography

Support issues

My biggest problem is that support, even though respond very quickly, their responds are often not helpful or not detailed enough. One feature for paying with PayPal isn't working properly and instead of looking into it they suggest that I should contact PayPal, even though the problem is with Ninja. There is not enough information in the user's guide.

Pros

Easy to use with basic features. Quick response from support.

Reasons for Choosing Invoice Ninja

A very basic and important feature that Wave doesn't have - multiple contacts per client.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

Studio Cloud removed some free features from the free account and they stopped providing bug support for free accounts. Their platform is also very outdated, even though it has many features

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied August 2020

Thank you for your review, we are always working to improve our user support and hope you stay with us as we improve!

Brandon from Brightwork

The Best Invoicing Program Out There!

Pros

Everything! This software is so easy to use and has provided me with effortless invoicing to my clients. I don't have a big business so having a free invoicing program that makes me look good is really awesome!

Cons

Honestly have nothing bad to say about InvoiceNinja

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

Billings pro was clunky and the free version was very limited, and then they forced me into a packaged that required me to have to pay to get what I needed. InvoiceNinja provided me with the basic feature set I needed and all for free!

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied November 2019

You're great! Thank you very much for taking the time to wrote your kind review, we appreciate it very much!

Vince from Weisisheng Corporate Management Consulting (Shanghai) Ltd.

I have been an avid user for last ~6 months; excellent in all ways.

Pros

The product strikes me as having been built exactly to my needs. The functionality is complete, logically designed, and in keeping with the theme entrepreneurs crave "I want to get things done quickly and looking professional...". Customer service is incredible. Even after reviewing their well supplied help pages, sometimes I want to talk to a person. I have received responses in 5 minutes to 2 hours which is among the best of the best of any service I have ever used over 2 decades. And they keep adding features, some of which I didn't even think about but have come to incorporate into my operations. I am envious of how high quality a product and service they deliver as i strive for similar in my business. Lastly, IN holds great value/cost relationship for small & young startups like me. I can not say enough good things.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Probably the nicest review we've ever received, thank you for your kind words!!

CRM, Invoicing and Expense Tracking all in one platform

Very satisfied with it. I really appreciate that they continue to improve the platform and roll out new features.

Pros

This fits my needs running a small business. I can create quotes and invoices easily. I can give my clients visibility over their invoice and payment history. I can use it to track my expenses and payments. It integrates with Paypal Business. The dashboard gives me a great overview of revenue, expenses and outstanding collections, as well as alerts of recent payments, upcoming invoices and past due items. Plus, it's open-source and they continue to improve on it.

Cons

It has a lot of flexibility. That said, it does have a learning curve. My advantage was that it was already a great fit for my current workflow. So it was easy for me to get up and running quickly.

Asia from Asia Noble Creative Consultance

Functional, quick loading

I run two businesses, the business I run with a partner uses freshbooks but I absolutely hate it. So I found invoice ninja for the business that I run by myself.

Pros

The features are clear, everything is pretty much laid out at first glance. A lot of people prefer simplified alternatives (like freshbooks or quickbooks) but I feel more comfortable using Invoice Ninja. It also loads faster and is less buggy.

Cons

It's not as pretty as freshbooks though, and the price is almost the same.

Reasons for Switching to Invoice Ninja

Freshbooks was way too buggy.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied December 2020

Great review! Thank you for your kind words and being a member! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Invoice and the team running it are amazing!

Fast and intuitive, allow me to manage my invoices, quote, recurring from one interface.

Pros

Nice UI/UX, really impressive on how easy it is to manage your business with that. I also love the buy buttons, that allow to turn any web page in a professional shop.

Cons

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you for your very kind review! Feel free to email us and we'll help you optimize your install. We'll also try to add clearer instructions in the docs.

Lindsay from Designed For Online

Highly functional and perfect for freelancers and those with lower volume invoicing needs

I can see my metrics for cash coming in and payments made right when I log in. The ease of adding terms to the invoices, creating products/clients, and the beautiful interface are what keep me using it instead of looking for some other alternative.

Pros

First off, I love that it's free. I'm a big fan of free, open source software. The basic features I need to run my business are included with the free version that are super helpful: adding products/services/clients and saving them for later use, the ability to create quotes and convert them to invoices if I win that business, and an invoice generator which allows me to send the invoice directly to the client from the website's dashboard.

Cons

My only complaint is that all of the features I really want are in the Pro (paid) version, and I just can't bring myself to pay just for invoice aesthetics or saving a bit of time and energy here and there with integrations. If your business does a lot of transactions, it would likely be worth it so that you don't have to go in and touch it 50 different times a week.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied September 2018

Thank you for your great review! If you're on the fence about our $8/ month Pro Plan, we'll be happy to give you a year for free to test it out! Please let us know, and thanks again!

Brad from Mound Media

Self-hosted option has incredible features - more than most invoice/project software in the market

Pros

- Client portal - Invoice customisation - Clean, user-friendly design - Self-hosting option - Low price - No monthly cost for self-hosting - No restrictions apart from white-label logo removal - Loads of settings for invoices, quotes, clients and payments - Support for accepting multiple payment gateways for invoice payments and support for payment gateway fees - Ability to setup recurring invoices - Very comprehensive invoice/quote auto-emailing system

Cons

- Currently no support for Dropbox or file sharing system - PHP 7 and Lavarel can be tricky for setting up self-hosting server - Currently no ability to customise admin area with own logo/branding - Mobile layout is a bit clunky and could have better navigation - No calendar or planning functionality - would be nice to have some Gaant Chart or milestone planning functionality that ties in with tasks

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied September 2018

Thank you for your great review! We are just now relaunching our mobile apps, they're amazing, please reach out to us if you would like early access. Also, we are launching a new ticketing system that works with teams, this may be a great solution for you based on your comments. Thank you again, please let us know if we can assist any any way!

Margaret from Nutmeg Designs

Invoices with my branding and ability to accept payment with Stripe

Pros

I went with the hosted paid version, which allows me to include my logo and custom number my invoices. I can keep a simple product list for filling in my invoices, and accept payments with Stripe. Clients have had no problem paying their invoices since I started in January 2017.

Cons

I wish it accepted both Stripe and PayPal, but I haven't figured that out. Occasionally it hangs for a bit after creating a new client but doesnt freeze anywhere else. The reports are useful, but the Tax Rate one doesn't include the client's name, only invoice numbers and from what I can tell it is in first name order when I look the numbers up.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thanks for your review! Feel free to email us if you'd like help setting up PayPal along with Stripe or if you experience any software issues. We'll make sure to add the client name to the tax report in our next release.

The best invoicing software on the market

We used zoho and another alternative before, both were crap. Many more people should use invoice ninja, we are very very satisfied ! Our customers love their portal a lot as well.

Pros

- Very complete solution - Intuitive and easy to use - Online signing & payment for customers - AMAZING support - Affordable - I'm pretty much sure we've never encountered any software issue - So much more to say

Cons

- Custom invoice template a bit hard to setup, not very standard . But we managed to have a layout we like.

Vincent from IsWelGoed Design

searched for time registration, found an exceptionally well working program

Pros

When I started to use Invoice Ninja, I didn't know all the options and possibilities nevertheless the opensource version was quick to install. During my updates and using the program I started to love the program and started exploring all features. All my yearly and monthly invoices are sent automatically and time registration is done with a breeze.

Cons

The only Con is that in the community version is not a update the software button. The update process in itself is simple (overwriting all files with the updates files) it could be easier.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied March 2018

Thank you for your excellent review! Agreed, we hope to improve the selfhost update process in the future.

Ali from BOOM Marketing & Events

Huge value for the price

On-time and easy payments from clients

Cons

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank your for your review! If you use Quickbooks online you can integrate the apps using Zapier: https://zapier.com/zapbook/invoice-ninja/quickbooks/ Otherwise, maybe you can import/export the data. Feel free to email us for help.

Kaled from A1 Computers

Self Hosted Invoice Ninja User

Invoice Ninja has no competitors in it's class!

Pros

every feature works and is easy to configure, it is reliable and works with so many payment gateways! The tech team really keeps up with hard to find features such as client signature on PDF invoice! that one alone is very hard to find in almost any other software without a lot of work to implement. It's mobile friendly with no CSS modifications required.

Cons

can't think of anything I don't like about it

Very satisfied with this product and the support behind it!

After years of searching for invoice software to meet my personal technological demand I found Invoice Ninja. I am absolutely blown away! Operating a small business is no task for the meek, but when your invoicing software allows you to document so much to one invoice you know you have your bases covered. This product meet ever want i have ever had to present to my customers. I am self hosted for the first time in my life and find myself released from my host's many charges. I chose white-label only to show my support for this wonderful product. Even the support and customer service professionalism rocks my world. Any speed bump I had during the installation process was immediately straightened out by "Keymaster" Hillel Coren via google search and previously answering issues. Thank you all deeply for such a finely tuned wonderful creation.

Pros

Above every other great part of this program I am very please with it's simplistic interface. -documents attached to e-mail and pdf -mobile app just as clean as the web interface -diverse payment gateways -2FA security (never thought I would use this but they made this very easy) -variety of from free to paying solutions with a few added benefits to each -exports as needed

Cons

when I find some I'll have to come back and fill this in.

Michael from Building Materials

Great App for Freelancers and Small Business

Easy to create invoices for my clients, automatic follow up emails.

Pros

Free tier is great for creating invoices. Even the top tier is cost effective for Freelancers or Small Businesses who need the extra features. Always being updated, it is open source so if you want to assist or add your own features you can do what you want.

Cons

Could use a time-tracking feature, especially if it is aimed towards freelancers who are wanting to bill their time.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you for your extremely kind review! We agree entirely, we're working to improve our time tracking in an upcoming release: https://trello.com/c/9t8vEOWp/33-added-time-tracker

Invoice Ninja handles all my invoicing perfectly

Pros

Invoice Ninja is extremely flexible, allowing me to automate my invoicing so that I can focus on growing my business. I use everything from the invoice reminders to the Zapier and Stripe integrations to provide a simple-to-use payment system to my clients.

Cons

I have no complaints about Invoice Ninja. And because they are continually adding new functionality, I've learned new ways to improve my invoicing process.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We're working on some great new features for our next release in a few weeks :)

Juan from GestorApp.com

The overal experience its been very successful over the last 2 years I been using the product.

A central database with clients and providers, invoices, estimates, payments . they have a mobile app and also a time tracking software.

Pros

Excellent product, the support its awesome. My experience in general its very grateful, tried several invoices system but this has just what I need. Thanks Invoice Ninja for this excellent product. A Happy client!... Happy Days!

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your generous review!

Michael from Lumundi Versand GmbH

Industry: Wholesale

Absolutely amazing peace of software

Pros

I use the self hosted version! 1) Very simple to install 2) Very simple to update 3) Very fast interface with direct preview of the invoice 4) Very comfortable api

Cons

The Invoice Design is very minimalistic/simple. There a not options like indent positions or subtotal of lines. There is no option to assign the "payment" method to the invoice.

Marco from Webcatchers

Awesome software for a great price (free self host or 20usd/year Whitelabel)

Easier invoicing, getting paid faster through iDeal (online payment) and easier management of expenses and administration tasks.

Pros

The free self host version is complete but the per year Whitelabel fee is totally worth it! The best about this software is the active development that really listens to suggestions from it's users. This makes it the most powerful invoice package available. If it isn't the best yet, it will be!!

Cons

The mobile accessibility could be improved. Also the Android app could be improved and maybe more focused on the tasks.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you very much for your excellent review! Agreed, we're currently working to improve the tasks functionality in the mobile and web versions of the app. Let us know if there are other features you'd like to see added.

Michelle from Specialised VET Services

Million star customer support

What prompted this review was a series of trials and failures with different products and Invoice Ninja itself over about two months. We finally selected Invoice Ninja for what it could do to fit into our required customer experience sequence. And then.... we couldn't get the invoice to configure exactly as we needed - it *had* to show GST component within the charge and it *had* to calculate this amount from data out of a zap. Luckily, the customer support team was fantastic - helped us figure out where the missing piece was and it looks like we've now got a product to do exactly as we need. AND the response times were almost immediate. I was resigned to waiting maybe a day or two for a reply so you can image how thrilled I was to get a reply back within 30 minutes and being able to sort the issue while it was fresh. Not expecting that 30 mins is standard - maybe I got lucky. Definitely, I got lucky! Fantastic service - thank you

Pros

The fact it is available to the Australian market and can generate a ATO required TAX Invoice

Cons

Was a little tricky to set up for a low-level tech person

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied February 2021

Thank you so much for your kind words and great review! We always work to reply to every question immediately! Welcome aboard!

Thomas from MyLocal

A simple solution to creating professional looking invoices that saves your time.

Time saving and a more professional look.

Pros

Very quick to load and double check what is going on with respect to invoices so you don't need to have the software open all the time.

Cons

If you come from an accounting background some of the reports are unconventional. For instance the Statement only shows outstanding items and not a full audit trail.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thanks for your excellent review! We appreciate the feedback, in a recent release we've added additional settings to the client statement. We plan to continue to improve the reports in general.

This software is amazing and is able to handle simple and complex invoicing and project needs

The open source software allows me to customize the application that suits me and fits around my business.

Pros

Ease of use. Feature-rich functionalities. Able to handle a wide array of client details. Great community. Excellent customer service.

Cons

As I have been using this software over the past year I have yet to come across something that was problematic.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied April 2018

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for your kind words! In the future, if you think of any features of functionality that you would like to see built, let us know! Thanks again!

Steven from Extruct Exhibition Pty Ltd

Slow Save Problem

Pros

Cons

appears to slow down once you have entered a few quotes, i have tried to clear the cache, but this does not seem to help, i have also archived most of the quotes not used and deleted those that declined, but still the program tends to go slow...

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied March 2020

Thank you very much for your great review & recommendations! We would be happy to assist with you cache/speed issues, please email us contact@invoceninja.com Thank you again!!!

Lance from CUBBY

Excellent product, we have been using it for several years for various projects

receive $

Pros

ease of integration with stripe. Ability to add additional documents to payment page. Multi User Ability Multi Currency Mutli Project within 1 acccount

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's very much appreciated! Please be in touch if there are specific features you'd like to see added.

Hans from AddictIT

Nothing but good words, if i encounter an issue i get allmost immediat response!

Hassle free invoice creation

Pros

-Easy to use - All the features and then some - GREAT support - Continuous updates - Fast - Mobile App - Cheap to run

Cons

- Updating can be a hassle sometimes but support makes it up big time - I can't really thing if something more... ( 10char min :P )

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thanks for the amazing review! If you haven't already you may want to try using this shell script to auto-update the self-host version of the app: https://pastebin.com/j657uv9A

Gijs from ecomsilio GmbH

Very simple but powerful peace of software for accounting/billing and some other useful features

Managing clients and creating invoices through the REST-API. We use toggl for time tracking and zammad for tickets and all are connected with the REST API.

Pros

- Its layout and the clear design - It is fast und the UI is almost completely understandable without reading the Manuel - Some very good additional features for tasks and projects

Cons

The documentation for self-hosting could be a bit better. But hosting at invoiceninja's servers is very affordable. So for users like me that are no linux-pros, it is a better option to have invoiceninja host it for one.

Graeme from Freelance

Invoice Ninja handles all my freelance writing and editing business with ease and accuracy.

It has made business simple for me, and immediate payment easy for my clients. I get paid the same day, because those are the terms I set.

Pros

I love the payment alternatives, which now include AliPay for my Chinese clients. I also find the user interface incredibly intuitive. Invoice Ninja seems to know what I want.

Cons

I don't have any objections to Invoice Ninja. I know that there are more complex functions available for larger organizations and more complex billing situations, but they don't obtrude into my simple world.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it's very much appreciated!

Joshua from Complete Structures

Get it. Pay the $80/yr or whatever it is for the fancy version. Be thrilled with the value.

It does automated billing tasks that are beyond the ability of many other (much higher cost) software we've looked at.

Pros

It accomplishes a task (automatic, variable-sum, bank drafts) that few services can do (and those that can do it for materially more cost). It works quite well on all my devices, you can integrate it with nearly anything at this point...

Cons

The UX is a little wonky sometimes. More clicks/loading than should be needed to do some tasks (related to manual record entry is where I've seen it the most).

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you for your review! We're constantly working to refine the UX to optimize as many use cases as possible. If you could email us with specific workflows which take more clicks than needed it would be very helpful to us. We'll review and attempt to fix where possible.

Blaise from UpCode Studios, LLC

Industry: Program Development

Unbelievable time saver!

Easy to send invoices and manage incoming money

Pros

Integrates with basically every payment processor Ease of use is through the roof Plenty of documentation and forum support

Cons

I really REALLY wish I could manage project expenditures without charging them to the client. It would be amazing if I could allocate money to my freelancers within this dashboard

Response from InvoiceNinja

Replied October 2017

Thank you for your review! Feel free to email us at contact@invoiceninja.com for help working out a solution to track expenditures, maybe you could use vendors/expenses?