QuickBooks Enterprise Reviews

(8,252)

(4,917)

Feature Ratings Breakdown

Funtionality

• Pros

• "The ease of use is excellent and I felt confident."

• "Integrated solution, All modules in one software. Easy to use for payroll, payables and receivables."

• "Easy to understand, awesome software. I would recommend this software to anybody that would ask me.."

• "It was easy to use when working. you simply swipe left or right and it will populate the expense into a category."

• Cons

• "Customer support is limited and often takes a great deal of time to work through issues "

• "Nothing I thought the price was fair and it was easy to use."

• "Sometimes it can feel a little bit overwhelming. It took me some time to figure out the software and feel comfortable with that"

• "There is not a lot i can fault with this program."

Filter reviews by:

Sort by: Most Helpful | Most Recent

Showing 1-20 of 14,261 reviews

Do you use this product?Write a review

Anna from Freelance Interpreter

Use QuickBooks to feel Empowered and Efficient while running your business

As an ASL Interpreter, I met many self-employed freelancers in my field. I was very apprehensive about transitioning from staff employment to self-employment. Luckily, I decided to try the Self-Employed option through Quickbooks. It's been a great experience. As a "first generation freelancer", I depend daily on the tracking tools that QuickBooks provides. Before, I faced daily anxieties about whether or not I was documenting my expenses and mileage correctly. Now, I track this information confidently with Quickbooks, and am able to spend more of my cognitive and emotional energy on my actual work and passions.

Pros

I mostly use the "QuickBooks:Self-Employed" features of this software. I love the versatility with the mileage tracker that allows me either to have trips automatically tracked or to add and delete trips on my own. Living in a metropolitan area, the mileage tracker will sometimes count rides on public transportation as a car ride. I'm easily able to delete that trip and also check on my transactions to make sure that the money spent on transportation is documented appropriately as business or personal.
One of my VERY favorite features are under the "Reports" section. I love the ability to get a preview of what kind of information I'll be sharing at tax time. I can download an excel spreadsheet that breaks down all of my Schedule C Transactions as a different page for each category (assets, meals, etc.). Before I started using Quickbooks, I didn't even know what most of these terms event meant! Now I'm able to work more freely and confidently as a "first generation freelancer".

Cons

When manually adding a trip to the mileage section, you are able to input the beginning address and the end address. However, QuickBooks does not have a feature that will calculate the miles between those addresses. As of now, I have to go back to my Google Maps app to see what the number of miles were. It makes the experience less fluid.

Miguel from 419 Bookkeeping LLC

Tried & True - Quickbooks remains king!

The ability to track me financials allows me to identify my business's cash flow which is crucial to keeping my doors open. Automatic bank feeds are cutting down the time I need to spend doing manual data entry and gives me more time to focus on my main mission of my company.

Pros

The ease of use allows just about anyone to successfully navigate and work in the software. No matter if you have an accounting or financial background. This is great news for business owners and accounting personnel, alike. With the ease of use, the training resources provide by Inuit, and their extensive list of available Pro-Advisers, you will be up and running and tracking your business's finances in no time. One other aspect I like is the ability customize the software to git your industry or company's needs. Custom reports, customized chart of accounts, etc are just a few examples how QB sets the standard for small/medium size business accounting softwares.

Cons

The least favorable aspect of Quickbooks is the inability to prevent old transactions from back-posting into a closed period. For example, if I void a check or an invoice, I would like to be able to set an effective date of today and not the original date of the source document. Allowing this to happens, will throw off bank reconciliations, it would and could change past period financial statement information and could impact your tax liability as well.

Response from Intuit of

Replied May 2019

Thank you for bring this to my attention, Miguel. You can close your books for a period of time so that transactions aren't allowed to be posted before that time period.Here are the articles for the respective programs: Online: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/How-do-I-close-the-prior-years-books-to-send-to-the-accountant/td-p/182283 Desktop: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/Close-your-books-in-QuickBooks-Desktop/m-p/186457 If you ever have any questions about this, please reach out to us on Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) or Twitter (@QBCares). Grant, The QuickBooks Team

With QB, we know 'where we are heading'

QB has helped not only us but many thousands to know where we are heading in our business, thereby reach our corporate objectives and financial goals and survive in this competitive and challenging business environment by systematically managing resources. Thanks, QB team for the great efforts you have taken and I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment to recommend QB to any small to medium scale user.

Pros

The best part in QB is that it doesn’t allow others to toy around when it comes to managing the ‘returns for your efforts’.
You don’t need to be an accounting professional to work with QB, but a little playing around with the software gives you a glimpse of the workings and gradually guide you through to become an expert in managing your financial matters yourself or even supervise a basic level staff member in handling your financial matters if it’s a small to average scale business. The passwords systems at various levels ensure the security and prevent manipulation of data by other fellow users. With long years of improvements and with the feedback of users of various levels and a variety of trades, QB has become the leader in this category.
QB has simplified most of the bookkeeping tasks in a diverse array of businesses be it services, trading, manufacturing or your personal accounts. It has gone beyond accounting software to function as an ERP in our manufacturing facility. It has become another machine in our plant with no complaints of overwork, no leave, no annual bonuses, and no work stoppages. If the accounts guy is away, I myself take his place with all other priorities. It’s so simple even for those who are not IT savvy.

Cons

whenever there are glitches, there are enough resources available in the community forums or the Intuit support team. Having said that, I wouldn’t say that QB is the only and perfect system, as there could be glitches during different applications, but with the help of the users, QB team can update the system for better performance for the benefit of all concerned.

John from George Mason Law Firm

A little clunky, but still the best accounting software on the market

The main benefit of quick books for my business is the ease of use for everyday bookkeeping tasks, and interfacing with our accountant for year and and quarterly filings. Also, it is such a standard software that it is easy to find new hires with quickbooks knowledge. Once your Quickbooks is set up to suit your business, keeping it up is really easy. It also saves on paper waste as documents and receipts and invoices can be scanned right into the software and the physical copies destroyed.

Pros

Quickbooks contains everything you could need for most organizations. The user interface is a bit difficult to navigate, and could use updating, but the funcionality is there. My favorite feature is being able to attached scans of documents or receipts right to a transaction. You can upload saved scans from your computer, or quickbooks will interface with a scanner to scan them directly into quickbooks, which is very handy. This cuts down on lots of paper in the office. Also, the accountant function is great for utilizing a 3rd party bookkeeper. You can send out a portion of the quickbooks file to your accountant to make changes, meanwhile still being able to use the software and update with new changes.

Cons

The interface takes a lot of getting used to. The usual keyboard shortcuts don't work in Quickbooks, and pulling reports is clunky, but functional in the end. There is so much functionality packed in that it is hard to navigate to simple things sometimes. Not all companies need inventory management and purchase order tracking, and complicated payroll features, but some of these functions are always turned on.

Sheri from Adobe Inn at Cascade

Have been using QuickBooks for my small business for 16 years!

The benefits of using QuickBooks are that I stay organized by recording all of my sales, income and expenditures in real time as they happen which saves me in accounting expenses such as hiring this work out. Also...I liked QuickBooks so well for my small business that I use it to record all of my personal finances as well. I love the reports I have easy access to as well such as Profit and Loss statements that allow me to see quickly how my business is doing this year compared to previous years. I also love that I can track what I'm spending in customized categories that I've created. It also gives me tremendous insight into my sales, ie what is selling, what is not and how it compares to previous years. I highly recommend QuickBooks for not only keeping your finances straight but also for the reports that give you valuable insight into your business.

Pros

Once you familiarize yourself with the product it's easy to use. I have been using QuickBooks for 16 years for my small business for all of my daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly bookkeeping needs. It saves me time and money on accounting expenses and allows me to stay organized. Because I handle all the day to day accounting needs thru QuickBooks I only have to pay my accountant to handle my yearly tax return. And because QuickBooks makes it easy to stay organized with income, sales and expenditures my accountant spends less time preparing my tax return which also saves me money.

Cons

That the Cloud version is a bit too pricey for my small business needs.

Response from QuickBooks France of

Replied March 2019

Thank you for the excellent review, Sheri! I'm delighted QuickBooks is saving you time when managing your daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly bookkeeping, and it's wonderful to know the program has been backing your small business for over 16 years. I'm sure you're a pro by now, but if you ever need support, know the answers you seek are only a short search away on our Community website. I encourage you to explore this site when you have a moment to spare: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us I'm thrilled QuickBooks has been able to help you with your financial records, regardless of them being personal or business-related. Thank you again for this excellent review, Sheri! Warm regards, Clay, The QuickBooks Team

So easy: Quickbooks Self-Employed

Overall, it’s a great program for self-employed people with fairly simple business practices... people who are service providers (massage therapists, counselors, interpreters, consultantsc etc). I had more complex businesses so am used to a bit more flexibility than QB Self-Employed offers, but they are mostly preferences than actual essentials (except the Chart of Accounts comment above). I recommend it to everyone!

Pros

MILEAGE TRACKING!!!
The software tracks your trips and you later pick business or personal for each trip. It shows you the address for both origina & destination, as well as time of day, which makes it easy to figure out what the trip was for. QB keeps an updated tally of your mileage deduction for tax purposes.

EASY CATEGORIZATION OF EXPENSES:
Automatically populates transactions from your bank AND credit card accountant into the ledger, so all you need to do is select which expense category it belongs t! Qb will ask if you want to set up a “rule” so that all transactions from AT&T (let’s say) are automatically categorized into utilities when they are imported from your financial institution.

INVOICES
Create a template and you can duplicate it later when billing the same person/business. You can easily send the invoice from the QB platform and what the client get s is a really professional, polished email with the invoice in the body of the email, and he receiver can download a pdf if they choose. QB keeps track of paid and unpaid invoices, making it easy to see who you need to follow up with for payment.

TAXES:
For tax purposes, the reports QB does make saving and tallying receipts a *ridiculous* practice. There is NO reason to ever do your books on excel. Too many mistakes when things are done manually. And it requires SO much time to input amounts, categories, etc. This is all done for you in a fraction of the time using QB Self-Employed.

Cons

CHART OF ACCOUNTS:
I switched which credit card I use as my business card and want to stop automatically importing transactions from the old credit card (which I am now using for personal expenses). You can’t turn off imports for a particular account without losing all former transactions associated with that card/account. This completely changes the Profit and Loss reports. I had to call customer service and they had to do a whole delete thing where now all transactions from deleted accounts are called “cash,” which is misleading and unclear.

INCOME:
There is only one income category to choose from. I have to classes of self-employed work I do that uses the same bank account and credit card. I’d like a way to assign Income A and Income B, so that when I look at my Profit & Loss reports, I can see at a glance how much I earned from type A kind of work and how much I earned from Type B.

EXPENSE CATEGORIES
There is no way to add or change the provided categories. I understand QuickBooks does this so that each category that is offered is automatically associated with a particular tax deduction item approved by the IRS, but it would be nice to be able to add a category that suits my business and select the associated IRS deduction category when setting it up.

INVOICES
You can’t make up your own invoice numbers. I would like use the same first 2 numbers or even letters for each client I invoice, but you can’t. You have to use QB’s automatic numbering system.

Michael from Eastern Mennonite School

Solid accounting solution for small to medium businesses across multiple vertical segments

We use QuickBooks Enterprise for Non-Profits, which allows ODBC access into the data to provide access for external reporting capabilities from products like Crystal Reports. This can be a powerful feature depending on your reporting needs.

Pros

QuickBooks is easy to install and configure, includes many useful out of the box reports, easy to read visual indicators for things like receivables and payables, and an easy to configure and process payroll solution. We use the Intuit Enhanced Payroll subscription, which has significantly cut down on the labor involved in processing payroll. We can easily customize, memorize, and schedule reports to ensure our department heads are kept up to date on their budgets. We use the system to track our endowments, auxiliary cash accounts, and profit and loss for projects and individual organizational units. Over the past several versions they have greatly improved the shared company file feature, so managing multi-user access has become much easier and more robust.

Cons

Though Intuit recently introduced the ability to use multiple monitors with QuickBooks (a much overdue feature), they require that all monitors use the same scaling. It's not a huge deal, but a little inconvenient since I use a laptop and would prefer the built-in display panel on the laptop to be 125% and the two external monitors to be 100%. Also, the way they implement multi-monitor display is a little weird... the main app spans monitor screens, and sub-windows are drug from monitor to monitor within the main app's window. It would be much more user friendly if the sub-windows (such as the home screen, various reports, data entry windows, etc) can be moved around independently of the main app's window. This is how most other apps work and I believe how Windows was designed to handle multi-monitor use.

QuickBooks is my 1st choice for small and medium company!

I used QuickBooks a lot. In my current company, we use QuickBook for all consolidated entities in US and internationally. Experience is very positive. Our international locations are able to input monthly data into QuickBooks, timely for consolidation. Our US locations use QuickBooks with a lot of functionality. Reporting is very simple and logical for accountant. It is very easy to generate income statement and balance sheet, double click on any number and export details in Excel right away.

Pros

QuickBooks is very widely used and is extremely simple. It just follows accounting login without extra thinking and it is very convenient. You can extract basically anything into Excel in a few seconds. You can double click on any number in balance sheet or PL report and get full details of accounts and then, entries. As for small and medium businesses, it is definitely my 1st choice. Everyone knows QuickBooks. Accountants are hard to find. So, if you use QuickBooks, it is much easier to do recruitment as there are a lot of accountants who know QuickBooks pretty well. So, you can focus on other skills in your recruitment. This makes recruitment for accounting team less challenging. Moreover, QuickBooks is so simple and there is a lot of training provided. I also like QuickBooks customer support - responsive and simple way to address problems. I work for global company with US headquarters and multiple international locations. We use QuickBooks for all entities. I love consolidation function in QuickBooks when it access multiple QuickBooks entities (you just need to input password for each QuickBook company) and quickly generates income statement and balance sheet reports with each consolidated company next to each other. This makes consolidation easy and quick. Overall, QuickBooks is a great ERP!

Cons

When your business grows, it eventually outgrow QuickBooks and you need to implement new ERP, such as Oracle or SAP. I can't think of any other issues. QuickBooks is really a good ERP to start with. Also, many companies might not grow to that large corporations which need larger ERP. Also, QuickBooks does not have audit trial (necessary for public companies), but you can incorporate month-end closing password preventing people from modifying prior period records, after month is closed.

Response from Intuit Canada of

Replied March 2019

Reviews like yours are why we do this as it's wonderful to read your comments about how QuickBooks has been easy for you to use and implements in your businesses, while still providing you detailed and logical insights from reports. In regards to your cons, QuickBooks actually has a built-in audit trail report called the "Audit Log". If you'd like to see more about this report, please see the following article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/The-Audit-Log-What-it-is-how-to-use-it/m-p/186180 I hope this helps to clarify the Audit Log report. Thank you again for the lovely review and for being a long-time user of the program. All the best, Clay, The QuickBooks Team

asfand from Creators School

DATA STORING PLACE

The bookkeeping software does not require any additional hardware, and it is easily implemented within no time. It cannot save the data, and there are some security issues, but besides these, I use the software as it is an affordable means of formalizing my accounts. It is easy to install and quite simple to get all these things about this software. It is easy to access wherever I am and see all my saved files.

Pros

The Bookkeeping software is made with simplicity in mind. It is quite simple for me to understand and it maximizes the efficiency with little training and does a diversity of complicated work for me. There are multiple options for data storage in it. I cannot get with other options. I can easily access all my information from any device, and any location. It provides me the great flexibility. This software allows me the ability to reduce errors in data entry.

Cons

When I store something on the cloud, I always have a fear of infiltration from the virus and malicious online content. This software is dependent on the functioning internet connection. It does not work online. Although this software is designed to be a complete package, I just don’t like the lack of customizability of this software. There is a threat of security with the bookkeeping software. It presents a cause of concern for me as even the stable encryption processes cannot guarantee the protection of the data.

Response from Intuit of

Replied March 2019

Thank you for this wonderful review, Asfand. I'm thrilled to read QuickBooks is delivering the tools you need to flourish and stay flexible. In regards to data integrity, know that we take security very seriously and are constantly working to keep your information out of unauthorized hands. For more on this, please see the following: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/global/security/ In the meantime, should you need guidance or want to learn more about QuickBooks, I encourage you to check out our Community website. This online resource hub holds a vast database of self-help articles you can access any time you need support. Feel free to explore this space when you have some time to spare: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Thank you again for reviewing QuickBooks, Asfand! All the best, Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Marcy from SWABS-Az

Quick Books Pro

Like Topsy, it just grew. Now we have to enter so much stuff for all the reports, instead of just we took in this much and paid out this much and this was payroll, this was expenses, this was purchases and this is profit. Why can't things be that simple?

Pros

I've used QB since it was Quicken. We graduated as our business grew so they explained all the different ways we should parce out our money in and out.
They tell you a lot of stuff, but if you don't need it, there is not way out.

Cons

Now it's bloody complicated and you need a QB expert to do the inputting. They are not transparent where the second (double entry) blind entry goes. (especially if you're not an accountant. Might be good for some people, but I'm disenchanted with it, but don't know where to go to get an easier one. Maybe I'm too dumb for the program, to be fair.

Response from Intuit of

Replied February 2019

Hi there, Marcy. I'm thrilled to read you've been a long time user of the software, and it's great to know QuickBooks has been able to grow alongside your business. Please know, as the program evolves, we offer more and more support to help you stay ahead of the curve. An example of this are the self-help articles available on our Community website. Whether you're trying to learn a new feature or need help with a process, the wealth of knowledge articles available are sure to give you the information you seek. The following link will take you there: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Additionally, here's an article which covers how to easily uncover where the second entry is being inputted: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/View-the-Transaction-Journal-report-in-QuickBooks-Desktop/m-p/186077 I hope you find this information beneficial. Thank you for review, by the way! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Danielle from South Lafourche Veterinary Clinic

Convenient

Overall QB has been a big Time saver for my accounting duties. Allows me to quickly view my accounts payable. Reports for expenses has been a great way to show other management members where our business stands.

Pros

Best part of using QB online is you can access from anywhere. Love the features on the reports, being able to compare to different year's, months, quarters and using the percentage features is great. Chart of accounts come preloaded but can be changed to fit your needs for the company. The best feature is being able to have the bank feed loaded automatically vs inputting manually.

Cons

Connectivity is wishy-washy at times. More so lately for some reason. Keeps telling me to check my bank connection and still doesn't connect. Sometimes fixing a problem after reconciliation can be a bit difficult.

Response from QuickBooks France of

Replied February 2019

Thanks a ton for this review, Danielle. I'm glad to hear you're making the most out of the many features QuickBooks has to offer. Since you mentioned having some trouble with the Online Banking feature, I've attached an article that can help you with troubleshooting these errors: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Banking-and-bank-feeds/How-to-manually-update-an-account-to-fix-banking-errors/m-p/186126 If you're still having trouble, please know you can always turn to the Community for assistance. If you haven't been there before, this online space holds a plethora of self-help articles (The above link I shared above is one of these many articles) you can access any time you need them. The following link will guide you there: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us QuickBooks is proud to be backing South Lafourche Veterinary Clinic, Danielle. Thank you again for reviewing! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Morgan from Pathway to Pleasure

Easy to use for a small business owner

I use Quickbooks to manage my small S Corp business. It has saved me a lot of headache by simplifying my bookkeeping and making it possible for me to do a lot of it myself without having to hire an expensive professional.

Pros

Many years ago and before Quickbooks was around I had to take an accounting class so I could learn the old school way of balancing the books for my one woman small business at the time. Thank goodness those days are over! Quickbooks has made it so that you don't need to know a thing about the technical side of accounting to be able to keep accurate accounts for your small business. I did hire a bookeeper to setup my accounts which is highly recommended but beyond that once I learned to use the software (which has been very easy and user friendly) I have been able to take over my record keeping on my own. Another thing that I think makes QB great is that many bookkeepers know how to use it so if I do eventually hire someone to help with my books I won't have to worry about them not knowing how to use it. I also really love in the online version how all my bank transactions automatically populate into the account--oh this is such a headache relief! I really hated doing that manually when I had the desktop version. This definitely saves time and hassle!

Cons

I used to use Quickbooks desktop edition and then about a year ago I switched to the online version. One thing I did not like about the desktop version was that after my version had been updated by a new one I was not longer able to send invoices via email. This pretty much forced me to upgrade to the new version even though I was quite happy using the version I was already using. Also I found the transition to the online version to be a little bit disorienting. The look and feel of the online version is not quite the same as what I was used to in desktop and I have had a bit more difficulty finding my way around. I was also very disappointed to learn that my online QB data does not automatically transfer into TurboTax--an issue that I did not have with the desktop version where it automatically uploaded into TurboTax. While it's not a huge hassle to manually enter the info, it is still extra work that would rather not have to do.

Response from Intuit of

Replied February 2019

Thanks a ton for your insightful and thorough review of QuickBooks, Morgan. It was delightful to read about how QuickBooks has empowered you and provided the toolset you needed to remain independent in managing your business. It's great that you were able to take to the program so easily, even without a strong accounting background. In regards to your comments on the differences between Desktop and Online, I have submitted a feedback report to our Product Development team to be reviewed and considered for future updates. In the meantime, should you need help with something or want to learn a new feature, I encourage you to check out our Community website. You can start exploring what available by following this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Wishing you continued success going forward, thank you again for reviewing QuickBooks Morgan! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

April from Real Estate Central, LLC

QuickBooks keeps our business running

Our biggest problem in the past was gathering checks or cash from those who owe us money, but we now are able to charge their credit cards very easily within QuickBooks. And we can save that credit card information if the customer chooses for their next invoice. You cannot beat the customer service also. Very helpful, they actually care.

Pros

We track everything in our QuickBooks. We are able to deposit vendor checks and also invoice our customers automatically when needed. Collecting payments is so simple. I also love the class feature so we can know which of our offices an item belongs to.

Cons

The only complaint I have is that we transitioned from a desktop version of QuickBooks to QuickBooks Online in the middle of the year and we had trouble with some items, like tax payments and payroll checks not pulling over the way we needed them to. But there is always a solution with QuickBooks and customer support cleared it all up.

Response from Intuit of

Replied February 2019

Hi there, April. I love coming across reviews like yours, as it's excellent to read about how the program has improved the way you take payments from customers. It's also great knowing that our support staff had your back every step of the way with any roadblocks you encountered. Even though I'm sure you're a pro by now, it never hurts to have too many aces up your sleeve. With that being said, I encourage you to check out our Community website, just in case you aren't able to get to a phone, or if it's after hours. The Community is your one-stop shop, due to the fact it's loaded with an abundance of self-help articles covering a vast array of QuickBooks-related topics. You can start exploring this space by clicking the following link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Thank you again for sharing your lovely review with us, April! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Betsy from Crafter of Words LLC

QuickBooks- Accessible for Small Businesses But Limited.

QuickBooks is no substitute for having a client database, however, the company I worked for as accounts payable and receivable had no other database program. While the limitations of QB for this was frustrating at times, it did a great job of keeping data organized and easily allowing input for new and continuing contacts. The customer service was as helpful as they could be, however I had to make the same calls for the same problems often several times within the year, only to learn that on-going glitches existed in QB that required workarounds. Customer Service wasn't always forthcoming on this, but their forums were very helpful.

Pros

QuickBooks is fairly easy to figure out for first time users, even those without a bookkeeping background. There are many tutorials included from the home website, and it's been around long enough that users have posted fixes to various known issues. It's useful in creating form templates, such as invoicing, proposals and receipts. Reports look good, and can integrate with many 3rd party platforms.

Cons

QuickBooks lacked much help for Inventory tracking and scanning. While you are able to create an inventory list, it's too easy to accidently miscategorize items and wreck the usefulness of the cataloging features. The inventory interface is a bit confusing to start with and connecting the inventory reports with logged sales is not practical. It doesn't happen automatically, but must be manually checked since there are many bugs that create errors or problems with data retrieval.
When creating templates, it can be tough to figure out how to connect certain field codes with data areas to fill in. I spent many hours on the customer service line to figure some of that out. Even then, I was creating or finding "work-arounds" for some glitches that QuickBooks just doesn't fix or update.
One of the most frustrating issues I personally found was the coding of expenses. Without some universal system, numerous employees can simply invent new codes for similar or same items, which creates many redundant and incorrect reports. Turnover in your office can produce serious inconsistency.

Response from Intuit of

Replied February 2019

Betsy, thank you so much for providing an insightful and thorough review of QuickBooks. The details you've shared have painted a detailed portrait of your impressions of QuickBooks, and I appreciate it very much. I loved reading your comments about where you found the program to be beneficial to your business. Please be assured, your voice is important, and the comments you've provided about the software have been sent to our Product Development team. Feedback like yours is instrumental for the growth of the program, and it will be used when considering future updates to QuickBooks. Thank you again for your wonderful review of QuickBooks, Betsy! All the best, Clay, The QuickBooks Team

A tiny bookstore's dream come true!

Overall, Quickbooks was a dream. I came into it with absolutely no accounting experience and learned to use it within days. If I can figure it out, anybody can, and boy am I glad I did!

Pros

My company, a small college bookstore, used to have so much trouble keeping tabs on the books. We were a small operation (only two full-time employees and a handful of part-time employees), and our output was too small to justify a lot of the big beefy software applications.

Enter Quickbooks. Finally, we could track sales and generate invoices for our customers with ease! When a customer called with a question about their account, getting data was simple, and it really streamlined our sales process.

Cons

Sometimes, we had trouble with the print formatting. It wasn't particularly adjustable, and every now and again part of an invoice would get cut off, or put into two pages for what felt like unnecessary reasons.

Response from Intuit of

Replied January 2019

Hey there. Please know how happy we are to be backing your bookstore. I'm thrilled to be reading about how QuickBooks is helping you keep track of your sales and customer accounts. The fact that you were able to jump right in, even without much accounting knowledge is a testament to the hard work of our Product Development team. As for the issues with printing, should they arise again, I encourage you to check out this article that covers troubleshooting printer issues on the Windows operating system: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/How-to-troubleshoot-printer-problems-in-Windows/m-p/186105 I also recommend you check out our online resource hub. There you will have access to a bounty of self-help articles and can engage with other users just like you about the software. The following link will take you there: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Thank you for the awesome review! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Sherry from SkywayTools.com

I've Been Using QuickBooks Since 1995

I've had a wonderful experience with QuickBooks over the years. I have to buy the updates, but I find somewhere online that I can get the latest for less than buying it direct and I am able to keep my version pretty up to date. Using a different and early DOS accounting software was so complex that I couldn't even figure out how to open up the software and get started! I cut my losses and purchased QuickBooks. I took a local course on how to use QuickBooks and was off to the races immediately. If you are not really terrific with software, it might be a good idea just to pay someone like an Enrolled Agent to come in and install the QuickBooks for you and get your accounting set up. Later on, when you've been working on the software for years, it is worth it to have started out correctly with some professional help. I have my accountant come into my office every year or two and go over my books to make sure everything is looking good, entrances are correctly attributed and so on. That gives me a good feeling that I know I can rely on my information in QuickBooks. Anyway, I do recommend this software. I am a computer professional, a web developer, but was a CPA secretary, went through a Word Processing course in the early 1980s, then became a Paralegal and continued my computer education at the University here, then went into business with my husband, so I'm quite familiar with QB.

Pros

I like how easy it is to keep track of my check register, vendors, customers, do my payroll every week, enter and pay bills and find things when necessary. It is a reliable accounting software that is used by millions of people, so it is pretty easy to take my reports in to my accountant each year and have her do my taxes. I own a small business with 4 or more employees and QuickBooks has made it possible for me to do my own books all these years and keep better track of what is going on with our finances.

Cons

I am not wild about the way that the payroll add on renews. You have to buy an additional module or what ever you want to call it to keep the payroll tables updated. For some reason the updating can be very iffy and I will go to do my payroll and suddenly can't do it. Of course, this only happens when there is a time crunch and I need to quickly whip out some paychecks. But, for the most part the software works so well that I forget about this problem fairly easily.

Response from Intuit of

Replied November 2018

Thanks a ton for taking the time out to review, Sherry. Your 20+ year loyalty is valued, so thanks a ton for being the best part of QB for all these years. We're proud to be backing you and your husband's business. Should you ever run into issues with updating tax tables, I encourage you to contact the Customer Care Team on Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) and Twitter (QBCares). The agents monitoring these channels have the tools to help in a crunch and would be more than happy to lend a hand. Here's to SkywayTools.com and your continued success! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Brandon from Taco Bell