What are Quickbooks Online users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Quickbooks Online software through verified user reviews

4,918 Reviews

2,562
1,527

• icon"The ease of adding vendors and customers is great. Once you iron out the how to of the invoice templates they can be very useful to switch what is needed on each invoice per customer."
  • icon"Up time is fantastic and they always send out down alerts immediately. Love the reports to Excel - works great."
  • icon"I liked the ease of use and that it provides a sort of tutorial in the program for how to use parts of it. The help chat was also nice to see."
  • icon"I had a little bit of trouble navigating through my past transactions for previous years. Other people have been having the same problems."
  • icon"The user experience was awful compared to Xero I just could not get on with it. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me."
  • icon"I think it can crash out sometimes — I am not sure if this is more of my internet or software — but it is very annoying."

Browse all Quickbooks Online Reviews

• Have you used Quickbooks Online and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 4,865 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 4,865 reviews

Beth

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Time used: Unspecified

Quickbooks Online User Review

Lisa

March 2022

Accounting is no Longer a Headache!

Super easy to set up, add integrations, customize, import and export, and grant accessibility to my accountant. Should I choose to - I can send estimates and invoices directly from here. Quickbooks makes a tedious task way less tedious and stressful.

Pros

Ease of Use, Customizable, Access for my Accountant, Importing of Accounts. Overall easy plug and play use-ability. Has made tax time way less stressful!

Cons

honestly, no complains as of yet. I have not had anything to complain about.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

After having used Quickbooks Desktop for the last 17 years, this was the easy choice.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Was time to come into the next century lol. The online version makes everything much easier, has a very small learning curve and is totally worth the monthly fee. The time it saves me in the end makes it invaluable.

Anders

It’s the industry standard for a reason

Quickbooks helps keep my small business finances in check with features both simple enough for me to use and robust enough for my CPA to help with during tax season. I cannot imagine going back to manual invoicing, expense, and profit/loss tracking.

Pros

Quickbooks integrates with most other small business software out there that has any sort of financial functionality. Categorizing and tracking expenses, invoices, and customer history is pretty easy. Reports are readily available and clear to interpret and automatically updated. Most all Tax professionals are familiar with the software so your CPA or tax preparer can tell you exactly what quickbooks documents they need when it’s tax time. There is also a robust online community that will help if you run into issues.

Cons

Categorizing expenses, splitting invoices, and marking transactions can sometimes be clunky and more difficult than it feels it should be. Doing anything more than basic tasks usually requires a google search to figure out, but there is extensive documentation and tutorials / guides exist for nearly everything you’d want to do.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Quickbooks is what was suggested by my tax professional as it is the industry standard.

Graham

Quickbooks Online for smallbusiness

Over interaction with clients has been good. Easy to explain issues and make corrections when needed.

Pros

The ability for clients to be able to share use with their external accountants.

Cons

Some of the bank import processes create duplicate entries.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Better understanding of product that was already being used by some clients.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Needed more functionality at time.

Michelle

Easy To Use Accounting Software For Small Business Owners

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been positive. While there are some things that can be improved, it has served its purpose for me for the past few years. The price is fairly comparable to other online software. The only other one I have had experience with is Freshbooks but I switched to Quickbooks Online because of a promotion that gave me a much cheaper option.

Pros

QuickBooks Online is a great accounting software for busy entrepreneurs who are looking for a centralized way to keep all their billing/invoicing/expense tracking/payment processing in one place. I find it quite easy to use. It allows me to forego the expense of a physical accountant and grants me the convenience of creating and sending invoices online, accepting payment, managing invoice history and tracking expenses. Instead of having to purchase software and being relegated to one laptop, you can access this software anywhere. In addition, if you have contractors/employees, depending on your plan, you can process your payroll directly from the software which is an added bonus.

Cons

I like most of the features associated with Quickbooks Online, however, as a designer myself I think there could be a greater variety in the invoice template selection. It is very easy to brand their current templates, but as someone who values brand aesthetic highly, I would love to be able to cater the visual of the invoice to be more aligned with my brand aesthetic.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

I switched because the price of the Freshbooks software increased and QuickBooks Online happened to have a good promotion that convinced me to switch.

Matt

Horrible Customer Service will not correct Emergency Problems 24/7 or Timely

HORRIBLE !!!! Account has been locked for 3 days rendering it useless. I use it for invoicing and payroll. Payroll was input on Thursday and approved. Not only did it not process Friday but my whole company is on lockdown due to Fraud Prevention.??????? I have made 3 calls to customer service to no avail. Cannot do any bookkeeping or payroll for my business and now there is no customer service for an emergency issue on the weekend. I am told a ticket has been opened and will be addressed within 2 days, but I've already been down 3 days. This is extremely unprofessional and unacceptable from the company that is supposed to have your books. IF my account is not fully restored by tomorrow, I will be ditching Quickbooks indefinitely for a more reliable product that actually has 24/7 full support in an emergency.

Pros

Billing is easy and payroll was easy to setup. Only lately has it been proven to be a problem

Cons

Response from Intuit

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with the payroll and your interaction with support. We know how vital it is to have payroll up and running. If you haven't heard back from an agent on your case please don't hesitate to reach out to the Payroll Team directly. (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/payroll-processes/contact-payroll-support/L08Yi5p07_US_en_US) Wishing you the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Replied April 2022

March 2022

Decent software

My overall experience is okay. I like how easy it is to input my expenses, but I don't like how the quickbooks account is set up.

Pros

I like how easy it is to access your reports. I like how easy it is to keep up with your business expenses.

Cons

Bad customer service. They send you from one person to the next and no one seems to resolve your problem. They will make a case for you after going through all the necessary steps, but never contact you back. I have called multiple times about my case to be told "we will email you when the case is settled." I have been waiting on a case to be resolved for over 6 months now.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

My mother-in-law uses QB so I decided to give it a try.

Response from Intuit

We're here to help you, Sarah. If you're still running into issues with this please don't hesitate to reach out to the QuickBooks Online Team. (https://tinyurl.com/2p9xdx5t) Hope this helps. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Replied March 2022

Richard

Look very hard at an alternative.

I pay for Full Service Payroll. Quickbooks puts the tax rate into the program - I do not have any access. I emailed a copy late in 2019 stating the tax rate as 0.8%. The staff at Quickbooks entered the rate as 0.08% which is incorrect so only 10% of the tax was paid. I have been begging them to fix this issue. I cannot fix it because they control what is entered. I have letters on my desk threatening to intercept my tax returns because my Unemployment Tax is not paid in full plus I have interest/penalties pending . I get no resolution and have been calling for over a month now dealing with this. VERY POOR SERVICE!!!!!

Pros

I like the fact that I can track financial records from past years and do comparisons.

Cons

The software has glitches. If you need help, there is very little hope of ever getting your issues resolved. You will be told to email the technical people and they will respond or fix the issue. I have never had any resolution to this day and I have used Quickbooks since the 1990's. If I could switch to another program without losing all my history, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have learned to deal with the problems but am very frustrated. I have threatening letters from the IRS to intercept my returns because the full service Payroll entered a tax rate incorrectly and I have been waiting for them to resolve the issue for over a month now.

Response from Intuit

It's hard to hear that you haven't been able to receive the support you need, Richard. We'd be glad to take a look at this for you and work towards a resolution. Whenever you have the chance, please email (qbcares@intuit.com) us with the email and business name associated with your account so we can look into this further. We'll keep an eye out for your message. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Replied November 2021

Cheryl

QuickBooks Online: Making Tax Tracking Easier for Sole Proprietors

Overall I have been happy with Quickbooks Online. Quite simply, it does what I need it to do. Track sales and expenses in a way I can easily pull data by varying parameters as needed.

Pros

I like that Quickbooks has an expense tracker that is easy to use and has the categories cleanly divided up based on tax filing needs. The app component of this is my favorite as I can photo a receipt and input it on the go (although I mostly do stuff online). The ability to track service based sales is also pretty straightforward and easy to use. Those are the main features I bought this for and they do the job.

Cons

Quickbooks online (I have the Simple Start version) is crazy expensive for someone running a sole proprietor part time business. And it just went up in cost recently. The expense is because it has to be paid for monthly (or a small discount if paying yearly all at once). I really dislike the fact that most software programs have gone this route. I am not a large or even full time business that can hack all these monthly software expenses we have. But I want the ability to use it where-ever and not be tied to one device so I have to pay monthly. The other thing I really dislike again probably comes back to price. I want the ability to have it autopopulate expenses each month so I am not constantly having to enter them. But I can only do that if I pay MORE for a package at a higher price point. Given the average user will have monthly expenses, this should be part of every plan. Lastly, there needs to be a way to make this software HIPAA compliant so those of us in healthcare using it can use it for things like invoicing and taking payments.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Because feedback from people who had tried both indicated that Quickbooks was the way to go.

Peter

Using QBO

The benefit we have is that we can work with our clients on their accounts without having to go to their office or for them to drop a laptop into us. This means we can keep an eye on the accounts and provide assistance as and when it is required.

Pros

The interface is easy to use and the software is quick to set up for a new business. The support and help features are very good - this is something that many suppliers fall down on badly. QBO has features for businesses of all sizes so as they grow and analysis of the accounts becomes more important the tools are there, ready and waiting. The recent update of the VAT accounting to handle VAT in Ireland is a game changer. We have been very impressed with the data conversion facility to import records from Quickbooks desktop software to QBO. Finally, being an online product means the software is always up to date, there is a proper back up of the records and 24/7 access to the accounts are all key benefits.

Cons

For a small or new business with no familiarity with accounting the initial interface can be daunting. There are a lot of terms to become familiar with.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

We believe QBO is a good option for larger and growing businesses because of the more sophisticated features it offers over, say, SURF or Big Red Cloud. The fact that Intuit is a very large company gives users comfort in terms of support and future development of the software.

Elisabeth

Great Software for Personal and Business

I think this is better than Peachtree. I haven't had much experience with competitors.

Pros

Pretty easy to use and allow my bookkeeper access to use.

Cons

There are some confusing features. I sometimes get confused and have to have my bookkeeper help me.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

My Bookkeeper recommended it. I had purchased the desktop version and was struggling setting it up for my real estate practice. He helped me.

Prior to August 2014

Kristie

Top Financial Management App

It’s been an amazing experience because it organizes all of my costs and data. I don’t spend as much as I used to now that I categorize my business and personal costs. It’s always a good sign to keep the personal costs and see how much I need to save each time I get paid. I categorize all of my direct deposit as business costs and the money I spend when I got shopping as personal costs.

Pros

This app is great for those who own a business or is self-employed and likes having one app to store all the data on costs. I love being able to choose whether the cost is business-related or personal. The bank accounts are all linked to this one app and I can keep a record of what goes in my account and what is spent. I keep a track of every cent I use and spend. My favorite is seeing how much I earn and how much my business profits within a year.

Cons

Sometimes, the bank accounts get disconnected due to internet issue last and it can take a while to link the accounts again. The accounts get disconnected for unknown reasons even if I don’t change my account information on the bank account site. It can take a few hours to a few days to reconnect and retrieve the costs.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

It is connected to TurboTax which is what I use to file my taxes. My information is transferred to TurboTax and I can file my taxes faster than trying to retrieve all the data through a CPA or accountant. I like having the information right away and having personal access to it even though I do have other people hired in my business.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

I made the switch because Square doesn’t do a good job of categorizing business from personal costs. It looks like it would organize all the data but it is great only when I make sales on the Square app. I needed an app that would help me become organized and stay organized.

Steve

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Solid Product

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been a good one, and I would recommend the product, but I would recommend someone to take their time when getting set up and getting started or to work with an accountant to get started, also pay attention to which version you need and not try to pay for too much at first. It's nice to have tasks automated, but you don't necessarily need all of the fancy features that you will never use.

Pros

This is a good product and very strong for what it is meant for. This allows users to keep all of their financial information, bank accounts, expenses, and invoices organized in one place, and also allows them to keep their accounts payable tracked and automated without having to enter them manually each time.

Cons

For new users this system can be a little confusing and overwhelming to set up and use. I have had some issues, especially when transferring and downgrading to a smaller version. When dealing with customer service it can be very frustrating as it felt like not every customer service rep was on the same page, some very helpful, others felt like they were trying to upsell me on products, and others were simply listening and understanding what I had to say, but didn't offer much of a solution. In each instance they were friendly, but it was still frustrating.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

I chose Quickbooks because I was the most familiar with them, my accountant recommended the product for ease of use, and also because she would be able to log-in as a user and review my information come tax time, which is nice.

paul

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

February 2022

Quickbooks is my go to program

I have used Reckon, MYOB, Cashflow Manager and now Quickbooks for past 5 years. It is by far the most reliable and easy to use business software I have ever used. I love it.

Pros

Easy to use. Doesnt glitch or fault. Heaps of functions and simple

Cons

nothing I can think of everything just seems to do as I need it to.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

I cant recall it was 5 yrs ago but I do remember some of the difficulties I had with Reckon it was difficult to intergrate with the ATO at times

Tammy

Industry: Veterinary

Quickbooks online

For the most part I really like the software, there are just a few things that aren't as handy as the old desktop version. They periodically do different feature updates that for my portion of the accounting don't really enhance my job or make it easier.

Pros

I love the fact that I don't have to do manual backups! I love that it is accessible from any computer. It is a huge help that I am able to scan and attach invoices, comes in very handy when I need to double check payments made.

Cons

From an accounting standpoint the fact that the program doesn't recognize if an invoice was previously entered by the invoice number is something I really miss from the old desktop form of the software. On this software you could enter the same invoice number in 10 times and it would never "see" that the invoice was previously entered. This causes a lot of back and forth between the vendor account and bills window which takes extra time. The only other comment I have is concerning the reports section. I am not a trained accountant and on the old desktop version it was far easier to generate reports.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Because our actual CPA is not nearby and this makes it much easier for him to pull up the account and doesn't require backups to have to change hands. Also the owner of our company is much more involved in the financial aspect of the business so it is convenient for him as well.

Sally

Contractor Quickbooks Online

Pros

The ease of use is the main Pro, user ability.

Cons

Reporting is lacking. There should be more options for reporting purposes without having to integrate with a third party. They should have more functions like the desktop Contractor edition for Contractors.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Too cumbersome to maintain sage between modules. Too many manual entries.

Clayton

December 2021

The best billing and invoicing software on the market

I switched from another accounting and billing software provider, and I couldn't be happier with Quickbooks. From day one, I have received amazing customer support when needed, have found a lot of great resources in their help section, and it has helped me greatly in making better business decisions.

Pros

My favorite feature of the software is that I can quickly and easily create invoices for my clients while giving them an option to pay online. In the digital world, being able to complete a transaction remotely is a big plus for my business. Plus, I love that I can save services and products for easy invoicing of my clients.

Cons

One area that could be improved is the default setting of routing payments into the "QuickBooks envelopes + cash" category, as it can make for messy bookkeeping. Once this is fixed within your settings, the software is great.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Pricing, quality, and customer service.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

My bank was no longer supported by Wave and Quickbooks was one of the only options that supported my bank.

Navine

Industry: Cosmetics

Excellent Software if you have help

I had a live hate relationship with quickbooks because while it was easy to use it can get messy quite quickly due incorrect categorization. That changed when I hired a bookkeeper to look over my books on a monthly basis.

Pros

Love quickbooks online well because it is online which means I can do my business from anywhere and anytime. Relatively easy to set up and has video tutorials. Love that you can set up lots of subcategories which makes comparing information from different categories easy and more meaningful. Love the new tags feature!!! I wholesale so I can see which wholesale reps are performing the best. Makes bookkeeping and tax paying easy if everything is setup correctly and accounts are reconciled correctly. Love the various reports you can pull from it. Profit and loss monthly, quarterly, annually. Love how easy it is to create invoices and the option to get paid within quickbooks!! No more sending an invoice and then asking for a separate PayPal or square payment.

Cons

Categorizing some income & expenses can be tricky at times which can mess the books up and make you want to tear your hair out. May Need a quickbooks bookkeeper to keep your books clean or will most likely mess it up.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Wa e was too basic and fresh books was limited in its functions.

Md Habibur

Easy Accounting for Working

Simply put, Quick book has made my job much easier & simpler in the work environment. And has affected my random work. Using it , there are financial statement , Bank reconciliation & many more things that have made the job much easier. But it is because of this that every one of my reports has been accurate so far.

Pros

The results of this software are easily & quickly available. In fact, it easily solve the critical tasks of many accounts & analyzes them accurately in every parts .

Cons

In fact, there is no problem in work, but it has always made work easier. It doesn't cost much, but for third world people like me , the price would be a little lower for us.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Easily solve the critical tasks of many accounts & analyzes them accurately in every parts .

Adrian

I like it

I'm happy with it. I won't be changing soon. Just wish I could get all accounting needs in the one package

Pros

It integrates with everything. It's easy to use and any accountant can get straight in and drive it.

Cons

It's missing a few core features like inventory management. It means you need 2 solutions. It is not super great for eCommerce. I wish someone would build an accounting package that had an ecommerce business as their prime customer and built all the apps needed into the one platform.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

I kept Zoho for my charity which has simple accounting needs but for the business, I needed the better integrations and reporting of QBO

Jonathan

Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Great accounting platform for small to medium size businesses

It has been amazing, this platform offers all you need to run your business with ease, it has a great library of add-ons and custom report options that will make your workflow fast and effective.

Pros

This software has a lot of great features, the best of them all is the ability to import data from .csv files, this makes it easier to control the data input and make any workflow faster and more accurate.

Cons

There are some limitations to the export features, the biggest issue comes with not being able to export reports directly to google sheets.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Online platforms are better suited for our organization's needs.

Nathan

Crazy Expensive, Not Supported by Bank

QuickBooks is what I consider a necessary evil. Other accounting packages are far more expensive for similar core functionality and are not as supported by all the other business processes I have.

Pros

I like that I can actually go back and edit mistakes I make rather than having to delete everything and rebuild my books if I forgot to enter sales tax. I like that it generally integrates with other partners.

Cons

$30/mo is crazy expensive for a business that is just starting out especially when the more useful features like client invoicing or payroll automation are additional charges. The API is lacking (for example I want to create a bill, but I can't enter sales tax as a separate item). More annoyingly, the OFX partner does not support my Kabbage checking account making the software even less of a value for my money.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Deskera was simply too difficult for me to learn especially since it seems to use Hong Kong localizations for some of the accounting terms which do not match the US as nicely.

April 2022

Quick and easy. Accessible from anywhere!

Overall, it's been a solid experience. It's easy to access and easy to handle. Some improvements to be made on the expense tracking front, but maybe it's because I'm not in it enough.

Pros

Super easy to access and easy and quick to switch between companies! Online access is the best.

Cons

Lagging inputs on expense tracking. This really needs to be adjusted.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Desktop Pro was too cumbersome and clunky. Cluttered and just not great to use. Expense tracking was difficult. No online access easily. No easy receipt scanning.

Charity

Industry: Printing

accounting made easy

Pros

the integration to my Print software makes accounting a breeze.

Cons

so far I have not found anything I do not like,

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

QuickBooks is set up to integrate with my print software

Lots of positives

I don't love or recommend it, but the price point and accessibility is often the reason for choosing it over others.

Pros

Online access and bank feeds are most important, which work well. Any automated features are helpful. Connecting to 3rd party applications is easy.

Cons

The lag and refresh requirements that exist for data entry sometimes slow mw down. 2-factor authentication can get annoying.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

More integration features, online/remote accessibility.

Response from Intuit

We definitely appreciate your business, and your feedback regarding using the app. To help optimize your experience in the program we recommend running through these steps: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/product-system-requirements/quickbooks-online-slow/L8N9Ezzqj_US_en_US) If this doesn't resolve the lag issue don't hesitate to reach out to us. Wishing you the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Replied November 2021