What are Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate software through verified user reviews

• icon"I love the inquiries that you can create with this product. They are easy to create and once you are done, you can throw it to excel."
  • icon"User friendly ease of the navigation from one area to another."
  • icon"Sage is great to work with, especially their help desk. The best support that I have ever experienced."
  • icon"The waiting time to speak with a Rep. This can be frustrating especially when you are closing the period."
  • icon"Unless you've integrated with other field software or have previous Sage implementation experience, a custom install from a Sage rep can be costly."
  • icon"If I run are report and print it from the report menu, you shut the menu down and make me reselect all of the filters, is this intentional just to piss me off."

Browse all Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Reviews

• Have you used Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate and would like to share your experience with others?

Samuel

Sage is a good value for the the money I paid

Despite their short comings,I can tell you that sage 300 is the best management software out their with good value for money,and I highly recommend it for either large or small real estate or construction companies.

Pros

What I like is the face that sage helps me to boost my project productivity, limiting errors, improving correspondence among parties,and creating adjustible reports

Cons

I have been using this software for a while now and my only issues us that I still cant remove some dormant account.that is my only issues

I had better experience with sage 300 construction software

Versatile and Allows for Growth

I love this software but feel the customer service has tanked over the years. If I have an issue I want to pick up the phone and reach a person, not hours of hold time and voice mail only to be told to go look up the answer myself via the knowledgebase. It is extremely frustrating.

Pros

There is a lot of versatility in this software that I know we don't even tap into.

Cons

You can post, or rather the software allows for, negative debit and credit postings. For me it is fine but when you have someone on staff who maybe doesn't understand it can make things tricky.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

When I began working at DC they had already been a long time established Sage product user. At previous employers I have either switched from other software (Hardhat) to Sage or began fresh with Sage. I like the software and find it easy to use and train employees to use. I have even recommended it to other companies to purchase. I wish they had a better solution for remote access and that their customer services was more responsive personally. When you call you get routed and routed and routed (through voice mail) and then typically told to access a web based article on how to fix the problem. I do not like that at all and it leaves me lacking in giving them 10 stars.

Response from Sage

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

Ahmed

December 2021

The best applications for accurate accounting of supply chains

Sage 300 keep all supply chain tracking processes on track from the start until after the work is completed, which gives assurances to all supply chain participants that their entitlements and rights are known and thus facilitates transparent settlements.

Pros

It is a comprehensive accounting program, useful for conducting audits and reviews of all accounts of suppliers (creditor and debtor). It integrates with many software that is used in project management, enabling users to apply comprehensive management concepts to their projects. I like very much the ease of setup, commensurate with the needs of the project, and its integration with many applications relieves you of double entry and enables you to import or export data as needed. With Sage 300, you will be able to accurately prepare the accounting lists for your supply chains, as you will be able to know the balance of any of the suppliers and delivery dates directly and without the need to search in invoices and files.

Cons

All is well and after hours of training you will be able to use it efficiently, just needs some updates to the display and some colors to get a more modern look. The program's speed must also be increased so that you can exploit more than one window at the same time.

JANIE

Using Sage

Pros

it is easy to find the data you are needing.

Cons

When you look at a printout, if you open the wrong one, once you close it you have to start opening from the beginning again. It doesn't just let you close the open printout and be able to open another one if you need to without starting over.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I was not part of the process for choosing Sage.

Jacob

December 2021

Requires many paid addons to be effective and is not very user friendly.

Pros

Helps organize accounting information and makes it accesible.

Cons

It requires many paid addons and is not good for new users.

Clay

Pro's and Con's of a database-driven program - powerful, clunky and not necessarily intuitive.

For those who live within it, it seems to provide them all of the answers they are looking for. For me, a casual user, it is frustrating. It makes me feel like I am stuck in the 1980's, trying to dig through someone else's database. I love Linux, but I don't use it as much as I should because it is always changing, and if you don't remain immersed, you cant keep up - I feel the same way about Sage. You live it or you loath it....

Pros

Sage develops and maintains a large and powerful database. It provides you the options and ability to do anything.

Cons

In spite of of developing and maintaining a large and powerful database, Sage is clunky to use and requires regular embedment in it to be able to perform advanced functions, let alone basic ones. It is not intuitive. In fact, it can be a real pain in the butt!

Lori

Where are the user instructions available for special reports and features?

Pros

I did not do the integration, that was done by IT and they do not use the same day to day features that most users deal with. I'm sure the system is much easier for the IT people, but it needs to be easy or have instructions available for the every day majority of the users in the office. It seems very easy for day to day use for the majority of the work done in the office, there are just a few reports and features that would be nice to have. Possibly they are available but I'm not sure where to get instructions.

Cons

We were not provided with any sort of ongoing instructions or help for specific issues that we encountered after we fully implemented and starting using the software. Sometimes it will take a while to get use to something to realize you need other types of reports/information or functions, we had to just learn by trial and error. There is limited space when adding Vendors and no way (at least not know to us) to get rid of a vendor once it is added. We ended up with MANY double entry vendors. Additionally, making a vendor inactive in AP does not stop that vendor from being used in the SM module which creates issues importing. One of the biggest problems we have had is that the PO field allows users to accidentally type in random various characters, such as a / or lower case letters, which causes an error in the program importing. The system does not recognize the random characters which has cause a never ending loop posting. The system should not even allow someone to put in a character it will later not recognize, as we now have no way to get rid of these errors. Even customer service cannot fix the problem. We have POs that now have 492 lines as they are stuck in a loop and every day that we post another line gets added. Also we could use a reference guide on how to run specific reports we desire.

Jay

Timberline Property Management Software Review

When we first purchased Timberline in 2002 we were extremely satisfied with the software. Their Customer Support & Third-Party Consultants provided the best & knowledgeable support I have ever been involved with in over 40 years of use. They still provide great support in answering and fixing my problems, but the response time has been degraded. Unfortunately, once Timberline was acquired by Sage, the Real Estate (Property Management) portion of the software seemed to become "orphaned" in favor of the Construction portion of the software and has not "kept up" with today's technology.

Pros

When we first purchased Timberline Property Management Software 19 years ago, we felt it was the best Property Management Software on the market. It had all the modules we needed at the time and they were tightly integrated to each other. The report designer module made it easy to produce both "canned" and "custom" reports. Bottom line, it fit almost all of our Property Management needs with minimal reliance on third-party software.

Cons

Timberline Property Management Software was acquired by Sage Software and in my opinion over the years since acquisition, became Sage 300 Construction Software. If you look at the focus of the software today, it seems to be over 95% focused on the Construction industry and only 5% on the Real Estate industry.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

We thought it would better serve our needs both at the time of purchase and in the future.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Centra didn't have the functionality or capabilities that we needed.

Kevin

A Proven Total Construction and Accounting Package

Very good experience with the product and dealing with support and the knowledgebase. I have been using this product now over 15 years. I have worked for 2 General Contractors during this time and this product has served us well.

Pros

I like the fact that Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate software (modules) is a total solution for a few different industries, mainly construction. We have all the modules from Job Costing to Payroll to Project Management, etc. We do everything in house. I also like the fact that it integrates with Aatrix for Government and State e-Filing and reporting. That is very nice that it pulls everything from Sage and makes the reporting process seamless and easy. There are many other products that integrate well including MyAssistant.

Cons

I wish the software was cloud-based which would make upgrading and future improvements much easier and attractive. A smaller investment of hardware and resources would be needed since the server would pretty much be eliminated. Updates would be automatic. Sage does have other products that are cloud-based but this one will not be going that route.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

At the time, it was proven and better support. It was less expensive and easier to use. This was over 15 years ago.

Phil

2+ years in and we are moving on

Overall, our experience has been negative. Nearly 100% of our users dislike it in comparison to other systems we have used in the past. For the amount of money it has cost us in implementation (over $30k + staff time) and the ongoing maintenance fees (which are more expensive than similar products) we have not had a great experience. Other systems can do the same thing, much more simply, for a lot less money.

Pros

There is a lot of detail in what you can get out of this software, if you have the labor time to put into it.

Cons

Ultimately, the software is too cumbersome, difficult for staff to use, training not able to assist us in getting it working well for our organization. Functionality that used to be supported is no longer available with recent updates.

Cost and features

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Seeking to improve our financial tracking and job costing ability, while integrating with other systems we use.

Amelia

Has great features once you learn how to use them

I like Sage. When I started at my company I had never used it before, now I am more advanced than the rest. For construction with a larger company it makes it easy to organize information. And I REALLY like how it connects with ODBC. I have created 100+ reports in the past 5 years and they make things so much easier.

Pros

I like how it organizes invoices, how you can customize SOME field name and how you can add customized fields. It connect with ODBC to excel or access with Microsoft query. This comes with the software. And you can make so many live reports that you can refresh with a button. Also the option of make crystal reports.

Cons

Everything is additional. Crystal reports you have to purchase a license, paperless, each module, etc. This can become frustrating, especially when you have 1 license for AP and try to open it and it says "Someone else is using this". Most people that haven't used it take a long time to understand it. There is a conference but it isn't ran by Sage.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

It has a better construction management software.

Bang up Piece of Software

I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to take their accounting system to the next level

Pros

I would highly recommend this software for any large sized (5 million and above) construction business. It tracks your fixed assets, as well has a variety of other strong accounting functions.

Cons

This isn't exactly the most user friendly software, and alot of the times it will be people switching from Quickbooks to this software. It may have a steep learning curve.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The company file became corrupt and too large.

lisa

Daily user of Sage

Pros

It has many reports available to use and as much information as you need.

Cons

It has alot of information and not easy to figure out what you need to search for

Charlene

Not the greatest

Nothing. We are using this system because we spent too much money on it to just stop using it now and purchase another system. Unfortunately, we listened to the salesman promising that this system would do everything we wanted.

Pros

Not very much...it is definitely not user friendly

Cons

Almost everything. The billing procedure is absolutely horrible and so isn’t the Accounts Receivable module. Even the Contracts module is not the best. Heaven forbid, someone should accidentally link a contract with the wrong company, the module does not allow any changes to be made. If a change order is marked as approved, you have to create a new change order if a GC decides to void or change it. In payroll, there is no way to assign a fixed wage to a particular group so if a pay raise is approved, you just have to enter it in that group instead of having to do each individual employee.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

It was recommended by our accounting firm but it turns out they were mainly specializing in banking not construction. Once we changed accounting firms, they agreed this system was not the best.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Our IT man was getting older and we needed a system that was supposed to have great support.

Response from Sage

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Dee

Needs More User Friendly Features

We would not purchase it again and would prefer to go back to our old system, but we've invested too much to do that at this time.

Pros

Widely universal so integration software more readily available with management systems and customer relation software.

Cons

We came from ComputerEase, which is very user friendly. Sage appears to be outdated. The installation and upgrade process is very time consuming and for most would require hiring their services to install or your IT personnel. The biggest issue we have is the font size. If you try to change the font size in your screen, the windows will distort and you cannot access certain information within Sage, so it strains your eyes to view the information. My other big concern, is that when processing applications for payment within Billing, it will allow you to go over 100% on a scheduled line. If you don't manually check via print preview, you can very likely overbill. Additionally, when voiding applications, there are some major hassles when it comes to stored materials on jobs that don't carry over stored each month. Lastly, if you do not post in the order and timeframe that you are trained to do, it results in a large hassle and time-consuming elimination process. There are several other items that are not favorable, but these are the top ones on our mind most frequently.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Because of the Procore Integration and because we could save documents within in as we did in ComputerEase (so we were told at the time). During the end of our training we were told otherwise and were forced to then purchase Sage Paperless in order to keep this feature. We were given it at a discount, but it is not as user friendly as CE.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The only reason we made the switch was because we purchased the management software Procore and ComputerEase did not integrate with it. Unfortunately, after almost a year of using Procore/Sage Integration, we have now pulled that integration as Procore had too many errors and not enough support staff in this module to timely rectify issues (1-2 weeks to get support for change events). Otherwise, we love Procore, so this was very disappointing since this was the entire reason we made the switch to Sage.

Rene

Sage 300RE

I am a moderate user because of my position but I was the person that took on the Service Module back in 2005 as we switched to Sage. I was very disappointed then with the SM module as it was not going to do what I was told it could but it was to late at that point as we had made the switch.

Pros

It had the ability to customize features in the program

Cons

The service module is way behind the times and will be the ultimate reason we leave Sage at some point. Even though we haver added SSO for some time now it still does not change the fact the back office program is the problem. We need more flexibility with departments and costing to meet the real service world. Also in order to make Sage work to meet todays requirements we have had to add third party programs such as Timberscan, Cabbage, hh2 and any even a program to get better access to your data. Sage is exactly the kind of program third part developers want and keeps them in business. Having Sage 300 Re means you will be forced to use other companies to get what you want out of the program. I did not realize how the programs we pieces bolted on and that there not actually built together. Once I knew how the purchasing module had to use Macros to make it work and communicate to the rest of the program was extremely disappointing. The program does not easily allow you to perform the payroll function easily with Payroll companies. Basically you cant get job costing to pickup until you process a weekly payroll to get it on the jobs. You are left handcuffed to do payroll in house when smaller companies want to move that process out of their company. The program was moved into the cloud last year in my company but it is really not cloud based. So you have to work in a remote desktop way verses a true cloud based program.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The controller at the time recommended it but later I found out that was what he was familiar with.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

My service department needed the ability to handle service agreements and we wanted a program to handle the construction accounting better.

Amy

Good for Construction

I have used Sage 300 for years. Many companies use it although I find that it needs some element of support or a strong user on the team to resolve things that come up. Office Connector is a nice addition as many reports are not available out of the box...such as a CashFlow Statement and a good WIP report that can be modified and adjusted. You can write into the software so many applications can share data which is a plus. I feel like we have multiple additional technologies to make up for all the short-comings of Sage. Their support however, is amazing. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Additionally, the SageKnowledge Base can answer most questions a user has so there are solutions, but takes a bit to get familiar with how to find what you are looking for.

Pros

I like its ability to link with multiple applications including PROCORE, HH2, Paperless.

Cons

Out of the box financial reports are limited and it is not super intuitive in my opinion. We are currently running desktop in a hosted environment. I think I would have preferred the cloud based package.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I was not here when the switch was made.

Adam

Solid Construction Accounting Software

The tracking of costs and billings is great in this software. You are able to capture just about every detail you could possibly need and it's all integrated together. With the available 3rd party add ons this is a very good product.

Pros

Sage 300 CRE, formally known as Timberline, is a very robust construction accounting software. The customization is really endless and although the software platform is older, the 3rd party software packages available allow you to use current technologies with it. It is not the most user friendly as new software is but it is a very solid working product that has been around for years. I like being able to customize the software to how we do business. I have not run into too many situations in which the software was not capable of handling something. Certainly you might need a consultant to help you create complex reports and other processes but at least it is available if you need it.

Cons

I would say the biggest con is the fact the software is built on an older database platform and the screens are a bit older and do not scale well with newer systems. Although there is a SQL database replicator now to move your data to SQL for enhanced and faster reporting, the program itself still runs on the Pervasive database. It tends to run slow when you have a large database so you constantly have to keep up on the archiving. I also wish the program had a few more preventative features when it comes to posting transactions to closed GL periods. Certain tasks do not validate if the GL is closed prior to posting which I find to be a pain. Sometimes the fix is easy but other times it is very difficult to figure out.

Kim

Good with Property Management, Mediocre with Accounting

Whereas Sage 300 CRE does have some good functionality for property management, we are also suffering from poor accounting functionality. Some days I'm happy with the software, some days not so much.

Pros

I like the Property Management side of Sage - our office manages a number of commercial real estate properties, and we are able to track the leases, and the PM side of things does link in with the accounting side of things. And I know there are more features in the PM side that we don't even use.

Cons

Sage 300 CRE does not mix well with any outside software. We recently took over management of a dozen new properties and we had to manually input all the data to get the new companies in our system. There was no reasonable import feature available. We could have paid someone thousands of dollars to bring basic information into the system for us, but what they could import was not everything we'd need, and there would be no previous year data option. That was frustrating. And the accounting system is also lacking. As much as all of the modules to integrate with each other, the accounting system does not perform to my expectations. And if you want to export a report into Excel, forget it! Sure it will export the data, but not in any kind of usable format! The numbers don't export as numbers, the formatting is all skewed. I just found out that there is a 'third party' software to use as a fix, but I just spent $2500 on that fix and found out that if we want to export the income statement and balance sheet, that is an extra $800. I'm not happy with the accounting system.

Pros and Cons of Sage 300

Pros

On par with some other offerings, but does not excel in any specific area, hence no one are where it really excels.

Cons

The overall accounting approach to how information is presented is lagging, in my opinion. Various inquiries need to be made in order to retrieve specific vendor, or client information, instead of making the reports and inquiries available through either the A/P, or A/R modules - all of them. The software also needlessly complicates interaction with the GL through the Cash Management and the Register feature(s), all this in my opinion should be centered around and through the GL module. Certain options under Agings are also puzzling, offering various reports that have little to do with actual aging(s), such as presenting the outstanding amounts in aged-buckets. When one is also more used to dealing with Debits and Credits, Sage presents some of these as 'Additions' or 'Subtractions'... which takes away the purely accounting approach to dealing with transfers, and debit and credit activity within various GL accounts, while a non-accountant might find the 'Additions' and 'Subtractions' easier to work with when it comes to dealing with actual bank accounts, the layout becomes more puzzling when dealing with other, non-cash accounts, where straight up Debit and Credit columns would be a lot more appropriate - for any entries. The 'Register' module mitigates this to some extent by a pop-up box, where some of this is automatically pre-filled, but in my opinion it's just an extra step that adds to the confusion and easiness of entries through GL only.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Better integration and reporting...

Response from Sage

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

Replied January 2021

Kristin

Sage is complex, amazing and expensive.

If I wasn't working such long and demanding hours, I would like to look into Sage University educational opportunities...as I do believe many questions I STILL have, could be answered there. ONE THING that would be useful, IMHO, would be a detailed listing of the online classes/tutorials that are available, and the list of topics/subjects that they deal with.

Pros

Sage is an amazing product, with so MANY complex programs and modules. There are (literally) dozens of reports and functions that I still know little to nothing about (after 3 yrs of working with the product). It's got everything a general contract would ever need, and then some. Customer support (GOLD) is awesome (tho expensive) . 99% of the time, I have had pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, experienced assistance from Customer Support. The individuals who work in Customer Support helped me make it that first year, and there is no question of that. Their patience and their availability (and their sense of humor) helped me retain my sanity, that first year (04/14 - 04/15)....hands down.

Cons

The complexity of it....each module is multi-faceted and highly complex (and complicated). If a person comes on the scene (such as myself) with no prior construction experience, it's very difficult to simply "pick it up". Also, In order to have Gold Support (a genuine necessity, unless the office employee has a degree in accounting...OR...10 years of prior construction experience) is very expensive. We are a small construction company, and the thousands of dollars we pay, each year, for Gold Support, is not an easy check to write.

Sage 300 CRE is an average database system

Overall, we have used Sage 300 CRE (Timberline) for 15 years. We stick with it because we have invested so much time and money into customizing it and forcing it to work like we want it to work. It is a good database, if you can figure out ways of extracting the data you want (i.e. Access, ODBC, etc.). In general, the software is old and not as dynamic as others on the market, but switching is too much of a painful process to make us jump ship. We will keep sailing (and bailing) with Sage 300 CRE, at least for now.

Pros

We integrate other estimating and purchasing software for our home building division and that works fairly well. As a database repository, it works well. It is easy to get information in the system and you have a lot of ability to customize and create fields.

Cons

The reporting tools in Sage 300 CRE are not good. Getting information out of the system has always been our challenge. We end up extracting the data via other tools and creating our own reports in other tools (i.e. excel). The financial statement and other report writing tools are not easy to work with, and frequently have issues that need to be corrected (or acknowledged... still not sure why Sage can not figure out how to round properly to make a balance sheet balance)...

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

We previously had a couple of systems that we consolidated into Sage 300 CRE (Timberline) in 2006. Our hope was to have a more centralized database, which was mostly achieved.

Janet

Industry: Utilities

I am a CPA and have implemented this software in the last year with a large underground utility construction company.

In deciding to purchase this software, you need to determine your real commitment level. You can use an easily implemented software such as Quickbooks, but you'll need to manually enter a great deal of estimates and information. The implementation and training is costly - be sure and get the total price of all the software modules that you will need in addition to the estimated cost of implementation and training.

Pros

I like that in general you are able to import tables from other software or ones created in Excel rather than either not having history or having to manually enter it. There are many very sophisticated modules to help you manager your business. There are awesome video's with lessons that you can use (over and over) for a period of time to learn each module broken down step by step. The job cost is able to import estimates created in Timberline (SAGE) Estimating, another very sophisticated program. From those estimates you can actually create purchase orders for items estimated, and email them directly to your vendors. Very slick if the program is set up correctly.

Cons

This is a complicated system and not for the average AP person or Controller/Accountant. You will more than likely need to hire an expert to train and walk you through implementation. The reports are rarely exactly what you want, so you either have to pay the expert to change them or to learn to change them yourself. The whole implementation process is lengthy - there is a learning curve.

Mike

Falling Behind the times

I have used The full suite of Sage 300CRE products long before Timberline was acquired by Sage. Unfortunately it seems that innovation and product/feature development has been very slow since the acquisition by Sage. My biggest complaint over the past 5-years is the lack of web access, which in this day and age is unacceptable, especially in a collaborative environment such as construction. This is why we have transitioned from the PM module to Procore. Fortunately Procore is fairly compatible with Sage300 CRE accounting. It’s just a shame that Sage couldn’t keep up with the times and get a cloud based PM product to market in a timely manner.

Pros

Sage 300 cre is robust. It can be all encompassing with “modules”. From Estimating (which is an excellent product) through the accounting modules to project management, the workflow is pretty seamless.

Cons

The annual maintenance cost for a product that is not SAS is pretty high. It is not clouds accessible and project management modules has fallen behind the times, especially compared to a product like procore.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The estimating and accounting modules are still the most robust and complete solution available in the industry for mid-sized contractors as long as a non-cloud based solution is acceptable.

Melody

Sage 300 Only Software You Will Need

Our company has been with first Timberline then Sage 300 which we started in 1997 with our original setup. We have always been happy with the product and have attended seminars and workshops that really make a difference in new ways to use the software.

Pros

Our company uses Sage 300 exclusively for Construction, Job Cost, Property Management , Financial Statements and Payroll. Every aspect integrates with what we need. We do export and use Excel with the Sage 300 when needed.

Cons

Unless you really familiarize yourself with the report writing, that can be difficult.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The ease of using the construction and property management and the integration of all to general ledger. The payroll module was very easy to use and the reports made filing to state and us government much less time consuming. We were able to use a general operating checking account and information flowed flawless to the many companies we owned.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

We wanted a different computer setup and we researched and at that time (1997) Timberline (pre Sage 300) it handled our construction and property management at the same time.

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate