Feature Ratings Breakdown

Funtionality

• Pros

• "This provides so many tools and reports that are very helpful in keeping track of costs on all our jobs big and small."

• "Its a very good all in one program I haven't really has enough time to get into but it seems like it has everything we need"

• "Software easy to set up and use. Consultant and IT technician knowledgeable and personable. Answered any and all questions."

• "I like that you can run custom reports. Using the time tickets makes it easy to go back and see who was on what job and when."

• Cons

• "old checks change in the register if the person gets a raise. Also if you add a new employee field its gets clicked off in everyone's employee card. "

• "Nothing major. I think training should be extremely reasonable (lower price)."

• "There are limits to what you can import. This is very usable, but not extremely sophisticated like SAGE 300. "

• "I would like to see more drill downs and better integration between budgets and job costing reports. "

Filter reviews by:

Sort by: Most Helpful | Most Recent

Showing 1-20 of 278 reviews

Do you use this product?Write a review

Jeanne from Keymont Construction, Inc.

Sage 100 has simplified my job as Office Manager and Bookkeeper.

Overall, Sage 100 Contractor is a wonderful software program. The support and technical assistance staff have been wonderful in the past and are always helpful with fixing any problems with may occur. We have been using this software since 2003 and it has been great. Another great feature are the reports for preparing quarterly payroll tax returns. This feature is a definite time saver for which I am very grateful.

Pros

I really like all the different reports that are available. I like having a client data base with all the contact information at my fingertips and it is wonderful that my boss can access it from his "laptop" so that he does not have to use the "main" computer to access the database or any bookkeeping information he may require for a specific job.

Cons

The only con is that now that we upgraded to Windows 10 there are are a few glitches. For example, whenever Windows 10 does an update on the "main" computer, it is necessary for me to "reset" the Sage 100 Contractor Hosting Framework back to "running" and also the Sage 100 SQL Contractor Hosting Framework back to "running". It is a bit of an inconvenience since my boss does not know how to "reset" them and therefore cannot access the bookkeeping information.

Jacqueline from Tree Construction

New to Sage 100 but like it so far

We spent a lot of time researching various products for our construction project management software. We had tried Builder Trend and didn't like the clunkiness of messaging, to-do's, and the selections. It also didn't handle payroll. We were looking for a one-software-does-all program; something that could handle everything from leads, estimates, take-offs, budgets, contracts, ongoing project financial reporting, all of our inhouse bookkeeping and all of our payroll administration. We chose Sage 100 Contractor because of it's ability to do all of these things. So far, we have completed a bunch of training on Sage, and we have just recently gone live. It seems like it works very well and handles most tasks efficiently.

Pros

Does all of the tasks I mentioned; leads, estimates, take-offs, budgets, contracts, ongoing project financial reporting, all of our inhouse bookkeeping and all of our payroll administration.
Massively reduces the likelihood of double entry.
Pretty easy to use and fairly intuitive.
Easy job reporting functionality.
Great payroll functionality and end of year automation (eg for T5018s for subs)

Cons

Not cloud based so it's difficult to access the information from anywhere.
Not a mac software and does not work great with Parallels.
Does not include time-tracking software for employee time sheets and we've been recommended against Sage Anywhere (the software we were initially told would perform this task) by the actual sales consultants at Sage!
Does not integrate with Toggle (the time management software we are currently using.)
Because of the points above, entering time cards for job costing is very time consuming.
Very expensive!

Andrew from Blue Spruce Construction

The bookkeeper who loves bookkeeping

Overall I really like Sage, but it would be so much cooler if it was cloud based

Pros

The way Sage is set up is that it will not let you make mistakes. As in you can't change things at will you have to dig in and change transactions from the source. This means that everything will be correct, this also means that it's a lot more of a hassle if you make a mistake. Still so many features that slowly our team is incorporating into our everyday systems that I think if used properly can make your life so much easier

Cons

So unless you are a coder/ super IT guy, there are many things with Sage that will give you trouble, like report writing and getting all of your computers to talk to each other, and now they have it so you can't call them until you chat online with them which is Sooooooo annoying. I have had really good customer service and really bad customer service with them, just depends on who you get, and how willing they are to help you.

Randy from Hamptons Habitat

15+ years and still happy with product

Needs some work, hopefully they continue to fix issues as they have always done in the past.

Pros

I've never used any other product so I can't make comparisons but I've been very happy with this program for over 15 years. It's very intuitive and easy to use. There are tons of reports, you can easily navigate information within reports to save time. Customer support has always been at the top of their game but it seems harder to get someone on the phone lately.

Cons

The functionality of this product slowed down tremendously (for us) once it went SQL or "live". I'm constantly waiting for every menu option to start. Yearly maintenance contract is expensive, especially in years where not much has improved. Does not seem to integrate with many programs like Quickbooks can. May have to look at other products if they don't catch up on this. Program crashes more than ever now that it's live.

Kelly from Fatboy Construction, Inc.

Have used Sage for over 20 years. BEST software for Construction industry.

Sage is organized in a smart way that makes sense. Things are not generally buried somewhere, or organized in a way that you can accidentally enter things in multiple places (a nightmare I experienced repeatedly with Quickbooks). There are clear rules that follow basic accounting principles and tremendous resources for project management and business planning. It also has a lot of flexibility for customizing. The support services are unprecedented.

Pros

It leaves good audit trail for everything you do. As a bookkeeper this is invaluable for reconciling (unlike Quickbooks). Versatility in Job reports and tracking so much data for making smart business decisions.

Cons

It takes a long time to become truly proficient and is not designed for people without strong accounting abilities and knowledge. Some features are not intuitive. If you need custom reports you either need to take extensive classes or pay an expert (time consuming for the first and expensive for the second).

Jake from Catalyst Construction

April 2015

Sage 100 Contractor has been a great asset to our company.

Pros

Sage 100 Contractor provides a broad range of reporting and tracking options, but is affordably priced. Our company is able to utilize the software to complete payroll, budgeting, job cost tracking, equipment management, and billing. We could also easily add Timberline if the need arises and that would expand our ability to integrate estimating into our accounting system. It is also flexible enough that we are able to use it to manage the accounting for small side companies that we have formed.

Cons

While Sage 100 Contractor is fairly intuitive and easy to learn and navigate overall, there are nuances that can be confusing. Sage support staff is knowledgeable and helpful, but you may have to pay for that as part of your service package. An alternative is their online knowledge base. It is expansive, but it is not always helpful in providing simple, relative information to your query.

Kelly from Pool N Spa Center dba Pacific Sun Pool N Spa

Great software for construction company

Sage customer support online/via phone are very helpful, when I call the customer service representatives are very friendly and informative.

Pros

Cons

The report writer needs some overhaul. We need the ability to merge information more easily with Job Cost and AP. As a contractor it is critical for up to date information without having seperate reports for Job Cost and AP. Give those creating reports the ability to "connect" data indexes and set more than 3 sorts on a particular report.

Andrew from Blue Spruce Construction Services

Sage 100 Contractor good for the company bad for the customer

I do like Sage, but the report problem have been the same for 2 years, and when I call to ask if there is anyway to make them presentable I get a sorry and a put the request on the internet, which I have many times. Nothing happens

Pros

Very useful in many ways. Lots of features all in one place that can keep you organized, on schedule, and on budget.

Cons

For all of these features to work it takes a lot of input. Once you have put in all of this input the numbers are good, but if trying to present something to a client the report system is trash. many times the text doesn't wrap. You can't edit gantt charts at all for scheduling, which doesn't even have dates on it. We are having to pay an outside 3rd party a year to just give us report writing system that is compatible with sage so that we feel comfortable presenting proposals to clients.

Tracey from Charles V Simms Development Corp

Now have used for 2 years

Our business is in construction and real estate, so we use it for the cost accounting and it is very helpful in keeping track of our costs. It is also used for customer service with our warranty repairs. We look forward to taking it to the next level and using it for Estimating/Purchasing.

Pros

It is easy to use and is very simple being organized by the category you wish to review. F1 help is handy and resourceful. Reports are simple. Love the drill down ability it is very helpful when trying to get to the root of an issue, because you can do it on just about every report you have open to get to the beginning.

Cons

F1 help is vague and some things are not easy to understand they way they are written. There should be more use of the space and give details as to how to resolve an issue. It explains but does not give steps on how.

Donna from IPL Industrial Services

Great Product!

I worked with several other accounting and job costing software and Sage has proved to be one of the most user-friendly. The software was easy to learn and implement. The online classes offered are information and well worth the time to learn the software. Customer service is one of the best! They are always friendly, helpful and make sure they have solved your problem before closing the case. Other than high traffic times such as the first of the year, wait time is minimal. With a third party software that works within Sage, payroll taxes are a breeze! Reports are through, customizable and easily exported to Excel.

Pros

User friendly
Customizations
Reports and Queries are easy to use once you get the hang of them. Creating queries or reports to access any information needed is a huge plus!
Direct deposit for payroll and vendors is extremely easy to use.
Customer Service experience is very positive. I love the chat option and also the access to the knowledge base. Easy access to the help file online, by hitting F1 you can read about every aspect of the software.
The general ledger audit and payroll audit features help to ensure the integrity of your data.

Cons

The biggest adjustment we had to make when moving to Sage was the check writing process. In order for a check to be applied to a specific vendor, you have to create an invoice. You have the option to just write a check, but it will not transfer that information to the vendor's record.

Kathy from Fullford Electric Inc

Best software ever for construction accounting

I don't think I've ever seen a more complete software. I've used other software, designed for other industries and I can say that this one beats them all. If you're a contractor or subcontractor, you really need Sage 100 Contractor. You won't regret it.I've been using Sage 100 Contractor (formerly Master Builder) for almost 15 years and when I started, the in-software and online help was vague, at best, but over the years Sage has worked hard adding details to the "help" options which has put assistance at your fingertips.

Pros

This software is easy to use and offers a wide range of reports for tracking costs and analyzing financial information. Utilizing all the modules makes the transitions easy when moving from a bid to a current project, all the way to project closeout. Their support staff are always knowledgeable and quite thorough in their efforts to help. Their Partner Reps are also a great value. They have years of experience and a wealth of knowledge to help with report customization and other learning related assistance. Another advantage is that Sage integrates well with other software like entering payroll information at the jobsite directly into the payroll module.

April 2015

Cindy from Luxury Builders, Inc.

Been using Sage 100 Contractor since 2006 for our Accounting needs

Pros

Love the reports and how easy it is to close the books at year end. How they give us 5 free calls a year with this price of renewal every year.

Cons

1.) The yearly price. The integrated system of Atrex, I am a small company and its not easy to bypass this offer. Have to hand type my 1099, w-2 and quarterly numbers are not imported in to tax form. Maybe I just don't know how to use it. 2006 when I took the classes this was not available or I am sure they would have an option to by pass.
Also on the job status report 6-1-1-21 shows all bills entered (job cost) but doesn't mean they have been paid. Would like to show: Job cost owed on vendors billed to date. For exp., if a vendor contract is $90k for job cost on cabinets and we put in 90k and pd $30k, it should read that this job cost hasn't been pad 60k yet. So at the end of the yr or when ever we can see what has been billed and what has not been paid yet. Setting up the report forms are a little hard to do.

Simple Interface to Process Payroll

Overall it is a great tool for our company and allows a lot of customization for each person's needs. If it was able to integrate with more time clock software, that would be amazing!

Pros

I really like how customizable their menu can be for each employee that uses it. Each menu can be different for our Accounting department, our HR department, and our Production department. I use it specifically for payroll processing and it is easy to use.

Cons

It unfortunately does not integrate with very many time clock systems therefore I have to input everything manually. It's not really that big of a deal though because we have so many different moving parts for payroll. I also have found it difficult to create new reports to print out.

Renee' from CBH, Inc

Love using Sage. Some areas are pretty tough to get set up to use and many times need a proadvisor to help. Really like most of the reports that Sage provides, but many times it does not provide all the info we need.

Pros

Reports. Tech support is good. Appreciate the help that is given-techs are helpful. like the ease of check writing and the ability to easily find vendors and previous payments made to them and job cost reports for seeing what was spent on job.

Cons

sometimes hard to get reports needed. Get frustrated when I purchase tech support tickets and don't use them and then they won't transfer to the next year. don't think this is right especially when Sage has new versions come out that we need more help with and have to buy more support tickets and can't use the ones left open from the previous year. Need to reconsider this. Expensive for not being able to use when need.

Tonnie from ROC Homes

Needs some updates.

Pros

The software is easy to use - screen layouts are easy to maneuver and data input keystrokes are efficient. Report capabilities offer a multitude of variations and the options for customized reports is available.

Cons

Portions of the system need to be updated! Particularly there currently is not a way to do a mass email to all vendors involved in a project without accessing every one! This is making the system outdated. Also there is a disconnect regarding sales tax - it doesn’t automatically follow from takeoff to PO - you have to open and indicate sales tax on every PO that requires it - the only way to get around this is to tax the full job...

Rosanne from TPD Construction Co.

Very easy to learn, tremendous reporting capability

Financial Reports, monthly and year end reporting, job costing, payroll reporting

Pros

The software is real easy to learn, as I came from a company that only used quickbooks. The functionality of Sage 100 is tremendous. It is real easy to track vendors and make changes as needed. The end of year process is made very simple and Sage sends out a year end checklist so that you don't forget anything. The Sage University and Sage City offer a wealth of information, so that you may not need to contact Customer Service.

Cons

One of the items that I struggle with is the number of reports that are in the system and trying to find the one that gives the owners what they want for information. I have tried to modify the reports but it is not real user friendly. Other than that I don't have a lot of negatives

Jeanne from Keymont Construction, Inc.

We have been using Sage MasterBuilder/Sage Contractor 100 for over 10 years and it has been a wonderful program.

Sage 100 Contractor is easy to navigate, prints great reports and is very easy to incorporate your bookkeeping needs. I would highly recommend this program.

Pros

Sage has a wonderful support team that are very helpful and quick in fixing any "quirks" that may appear. Usually the "quirks" are due to a Windows update and not something that was caused by the program itself. I really find the Contractor 100 program easy to use and navigate and it has been wonderful using it for the last 10 years or so.

Cons

I do not have any cons about this program. The only thing I wish the program would do that it does not is to change the year automatically on the lien waivers.

Michelle from Grousemont Associates

Great Software

I have used this software since it was first invented in the DOS format! Really showing my age now! We don't do a lot of job costing anymore so I don't use it to it's full capacity but I still like the software. Just wish the yearly maintenance contract wasn't so expensive. Some years I barely use the service.

Pros

My personal opinion is that this software is Intuitive and easy to navigate. The report options are great and the forms can be modified for your personal preference.

Cons

Takes a long time to load when I first get on. Once it's loaded, I can switch between companies without too much hesitation.
I have two monitors and when I open a screen it pops up on the other monitor and I have to drag it over.

Heather from White's Diesel Power & Marine Inc.

Excellent product and support - Very well suited to our business needs!

Mainstream application that is customizable with some time and a little effort :)

Pros

This program has allowed us to manage our finances and our operations / inventory under one software application. We appreciate the evolution of the software - regular upgrades to improve on functionality. Operating in a Sage product means most finance staff are at least familiar with the work environment when they begin work. Payroll is always spot on!

Cons

I wish there was a better work around in Canada for banking/accruing time for employees - we find Excel on the side is best for now but hope to see improvements in the future.

Customer statements base the 30/60/90 days on calendar month so if a bill went out on Feb 28th - it would show 30 days on the statement the next day (March 1st).

November 2015

Pamela from SP White Construction Inc.

November 2015

Sage 100 review

Pros

Module integration makes running your business more efficient and with less chance of error. We have used Sage 100 since it was MB7 and the software has definitely improve over the years and I am confident that it will continue to improve. The technicians are knowledgeable and they speak English. It is nice to not have to deal with non English speaking technicians. It is extremely user friendly and I love how you can be reviewing one report and click on the transaction or record number and it will take you to where the data generated from without having to go out of that screen.

Cons

The annual maintenance fees are pretty expensive and although they have several levels of service to choose from, the lowest service fee is still pretty expensive. We also encounter errors and when trying to work with our IT department, one blames the other so the errors have never been fixed and I am always being thrown out of the program.