Feature Ratings Breakdown

Funtionality

• Pros

• "Easy to learn how to use. The software leaves a great audit trail. It's easy to find things because every transaction is assigned to a batch."

• "I like that all of the individual parts work so well together to produce output that is informative and useful."

• "Allows detailed entries into all modules. Sage Knowledgebase has had every answer. The ability to filter is great!"

• "I like that this software does not let you proceed if there is an amount error in the accounting module"

• Cons

• "The many options this software offers is often hard to find. From the main menu opens a secondary menu which often opens into a third menu. "

• "Interface has not changed and not friendly for new users. Modules do not communicate with each other mostly"

• "If I had to pick one, it would be the report output being less fancy than other products, but it all meets my needs."

• "I do not like that there are so many different reports that generally do the same thing. "

Filter reviews by:

Sort by: Most Helpful | Most Recent

Showing 1-20 of 376 reviews

Do you use this product?Write a review

Kristin from ARC Building Concepts, LLC (ARC Design Builders)

Sage is complex, amazing and expensive.

If I wasn't working such long and demanding hours, I would like to look into Sage University educational opportunities...as I do believe many questions I STILL have, could be answered there. ONE THING that would be useful, IMHO, would be a detailed listing of the online classes/tutorials that are available, and the list of topics/subjects that they deal with.

Pros

Sage is an amazing product, with so MANY complex programs and modules. There are (literally) dozens of reports and functions that I still know little to nothing about (after 3 yrs of working with the product). It's got everything a general contract would ever need, and then some. Customer support (GOLD) is awesome (tho expensive) . 99% of the time, I have had pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, experienced assistance from Customer Support. The individuals who work in Customer Support helped me make it that first year, and there is no question of that. Their patience and their availability (and their sense of humor) helped me retain my sanity, that first year (04/14 - 04/15)....hands down.

Cons

The complexity of it....each module is multi-faceted and highly complex (and complicated). If a person comes on the scene (such as myself) with no prior construction experience, it's very difficult to simply "pick it up". Also, In order to have Gold Support (a genuine necessity, unless the office employee has a degree in accounting...OR...10 years of prior construction experience) is very expensive. We are a small construction company, and the thousands of dollars we pay, each year, for Gold Support, is not an easy check to write.

Janet from BRW Construction Group, LLC

I am a CPA and have implemented this software in the last year with a large underground utility construction company.

In deciding to purchase this software, you need to determine your real commitment level. You can use an easily implemented software such as Quickbooks, but you'll need to manually enter a great deal of estimates and information. The implementation and training is costly - be sure and get the total price of all the software modules that you will need in addition to the estimated cost of implementation and training.

Pros

I like that in general you are able to import tables from other software or ones created in Excel rather than either not having history or having to manually enter it. There are many very sophisticated modules to help you manager your business. There are awesome video's with lessons that you can use (over and over) for a period of time to learn each module broken down step by step. The job cost is able to import estimates created in Timberline (SAGE) Estimating, another very sophisticated program. From those estimates you can actually create purchase orders for items estimated, and email them directly to your vendors. Very slick if the program is set up correctly.

Cons

This is a complicated system and not for the average AP person or Controller/Accountant. You will more than likely need to hire an expert to train and walk you through implementation. The reports are rarely exactly what you want, so you either have to pay the expert to change them or to learn to change them yourself. The whole implementation process is lengthy - there is a learning curve.

Dustin from Triangle Pump Service Limited

Sage Customer Service Cannot be Beat

I highly recommend Sage 300 to any contractor out there. It's ease of use and numerous modules make tracking things like inventory, job costing, cash management etc a breeze. All modules sync up to the General Ledger and at the end of each month, we are able to see how we are progressing. This has helped us catch numerous mistakes on our end. Whenever there is a problem, we will phone the Sage call center. They are able to troubleshoot things in no time. Not only do they help fix the mistake they also teach you how to spot them yourself. The odd time we have had to escalate a problem to the programmers they always end up contacting us back the same day. I started using Sage 2 years ago with very little knowledge of the platform and accounting in general and through the proper training, customer service, excellent help articles and Sage U I can confidently say that I have mastered this program. I could never see myself using another product after Sage 300.

Pros

Ease of use
Customer Service
Training and Sage U
Reporting
Custom Reports to fit your business needs.

Cons

Other than the odd Software Glitch which Sage is more than happy to fix I have no real complaints. Anytime I seem to bring something up that would make the product better Sage seems to be working on/implementing that change.

December 2015

Craig from Schieler & Rassi Quality Builders, Inc

December 2015

Very Capable Software with Tremendous Support

Pros

By far the best thing about Sage 300 is the customer support. It is simply phenomenal. For whatever shortcomings the software has, it is made up in the ability to pick up the phone and directly contact Sage employees who speak our language, understand our concern, and our very knowledgeable of their product. You don't get the "run-around" when you call in. They are very willing to remote into your computer to explain and help with troubleshooting the problem or implementing the solution. They aren't perfect as some experiences have been disappointing, but many times as I conclude a customer support phone call I am reminded just how impressed and pleased I am with their service.

Cons

Many of the user interfaces are somewhat archaic and not the easiest to work with. That said, there seems to be a modernization process underway that will be addressing this in future versions. There are minor quirks/irregularities with the software, but that is to be expected since it has so many capabilities and tries to fill diverse needs.

John from Infinigy

Timberline Customer Support

We are a $30M A&E/Construction company.

Pros

Decent functionality once you get it working. Price to function seems good. I have a hard time saying anything else good. If you can live with the cost of frustration, you will probably eventually say its worth it. I've used it for 10 years!

Cons

Sage provides almost "ZERO" support. Don't let them lie to you. I have used this product for over 10 years and my level of frustration remains very high. They will not support you after the software/conversion is done. You get pushed to a very few, custom Crystal Report writers who are incredibly overloaded. So all the promise of great dashboards, custom reports (which you have to have! For your own business!) is for naught. Just add 6 months to your process which is absolutely not an exaggeration. Let's just say it like it is. After the sale, Sage does not care about you.

Davin from Replay Management Ltd.

Accurate and Reliable with Minor Drawbacks

The software does what you need it to do for daily accounting functions with minimal crashes or delays. However, the reporting function needs to be updated to a usable format so that it takes the end user less time to gain the information needed.

Pros

The software is very reliable and there are very few hiccups in day to day use.
It's also very handy to have features such as:
- Attaching documents/invoices to an AP or Journal Entry
- Recurring journal entries
- Project Coding

Cons

I find the interface layout to be a little archaic. It is not very modern in comparison to other accounting software.
A troublesome area is when making entries in the General Ledger module, the entries are not reflected in the AP, Bank, or AR modules. However, making entries in the AP, Bank, or AR modules are transferred correctly in the GL.
Lastly, the reports that are generated by Sage 300 can be put into Excel 97-2003 only. Furthermore, the reports are generated in a very complex manner with poor formatting and many merged cells. Trying to manipulate and sort data can take a long time.
It would be very helpful to be able to search/filter through Sage by the invoice/document number. The only option to do this is to either export the data to Excel, or search by vendor.

Falana from InServ

A good construction project tracking software

I don't have a reason to change software products.

Pros

Ease of use
Easy to learn and get accustomed to
Has been around a long time
Recent improvements (last 7-8 years) to the software (Xcel downloads, employee set ups, My Assistant)
More 3rd party products that communicate well or easily with Sage 300 (i.e. PO/AP software, electronic clocks)

Cons

I don't like the extra layer on support. It is inevitable that we need the 2nd level for almost every call.
No drill down links between modules.
There are a few things (I can't think all of now) that you can tell an accountant was not completely involved in setting up. One example, putting a negative in front a number in the credit column on some reports and not on others. The inconsistency can be confusing. Is it a credit or a negative credit (which = debit).

Angelika from Overhead Door Co. of Providence

Accouting Software for the Construction Indusrty

Pros

The best part of this software is the ease of use and navigation. Each department can customize their own platform whether its is the AP department,AR or even the VP of Finance. The software is very user friendly and forgiving. Also I can work in multiple platforms without any interruption or delay. Most importantly the reporting part of this software is very customizable so each department can look at the information that pertains to them directly without unnecessary or unwanted information.

Cons

Sometimes the reports take a little more time but that is due to the amount if information that it is pulling but this is not a downside to the software its just we are pulling a lot of information at once.

Douglas from ECI

Sage get the job done

Sage is the software we utilize for all of our PM/project accounting and budgeting tracking. This program allows us to enter budget, commitments, costs and track and report on these with up to date information and integrate with our other PM software for a more streamlined workflow.

Pros

For the price, this can't be beat. It can do all of the same things as the more expensive software out there. This communicates with our online PM software, and our invoice review and approval software to streamline all aspects of our project management work flow and improve productivity.

Cons

Not the most user friendly. It doesn't have the fancy icons that other software does, but once you past that first layout learning curve and develop any custom reporting it is easy to understand and does everything you need.

Kathy from Continental Construction

Sage 300 CRE User

I feel that the knowledgebase needs a lot of work. Too many steps to get to your product. Most of the time, if I pull up a request that has more than one page of listings, I get an error message when I try to go to the second page. It has become almost useless.

Pros

I like the simplicity of the accounting side and the integration between job cost and general ledger. I feel it is user friendly for learning the product in almost all aspects.

Cons

Would like to see a simpler change order process with more connections between the subcontractor and the owner changes. Would like to see fewer glitches such as the "use last job" option does not work in project management under certain versions and occasionally I get invoices that show that the payment is open when the checks are cleared.

Kenatu from TPDCo

Where have you been all my life

If you already have SAGE 300 ERP and need to manage projects and job costings, you need not go any further. Truth be told, if I didn't have all that stuff and found this first it would convince me to buy the other stuff.

Pros

I have SAGE 300 ERP with the PJC module and to tell you the truth we had been looking for a system to manage costs of our projects for years that the years would actually use and not complain about. PJC is great but we just couldn't get the users to be all in with its use. Then I discovered CRE aka Timberline. I cannot believe this thing existed, where have you been all my life. This solution integrates with my existing ERP modules and PO making my life so much simpler. It integrates with outlook, I can export to excel and do analysis. I can manage invoices, check late payments, make change request and manage contracts and subcontracts ALL in the same solution!. I can manage project retainage and even choose when payments and costs hit my GL. I can give my managers the reports they need on the fly and customize them as needed.
I cannot say enough about this software. I also love that I am not crowded with information. The drill down feature makes everything clean. I am literally in love and the users are all smiles now. It makes you happy to see a pile of paper to input. soon I will be almost paperless.

James from ALLIED INDUSTRIAL SALES, INC.

Good but seeking for more

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility with this product, but in many cases it requires a Sage Expert or extensive training. With this product our company managed Industrial Construction Projects of various sizes and cost and utilized different project costing. Overall our experience was good.

Cons

Needs a nicer UI/UX for the consumer, the next generation of user is accustom to ease of use and a clean UI/UX. Give the consumer more control, create a solution that allows us the ability to manage our data, our way. Salesforce has a great solution for this, although not directly related their model for consumer control and product support is one of the best I have ever seen/used.

Amanda from Dennis Anderson Construction Corporation

Dennis Anderson Construction Corporation began using this software in 2005 when the product was called Timberline; however, at that time we only utilized some of its many functions, such as Accounts Payable, Payroll and General Ledger. In 2013, we decided to extend our contract with Sage and to take advantage of some of the other functions that we had not previously been using, such as Project Management, Billing, and Contracts, in hopes of tying all of our project information together into one software. Personally, I have only been using Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate for about five years but I utilize this software multiple times every day. It is my opinion that Sage 300 CRE is a user-friendly software (for the most part) and the modules we utilize capture all of the information exactly how we want it.

Pros

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate support are PHENOMENAL! Whether it be through a live chat or a phone conversation, Sage support is always very helpful and they always show such care and concern in making sure your issue is resolved.

Cons

Year-End Support is very slow (1 hour + wait time) due to the high volume of customers in need of support. I would recommend that Sage hire additional support members to assist customers with Year End issues.

May 2015

Teresa from Forcum Lannom Contractors LLC

May 2015

Responsible for original setup and training of employees.

Pros

Support is great. Every problem I've had they have been able to walk me through the steps to fix. The integration of all the modules eliminates duplicate entry (except as detailed below). Ability to customize fields and use the Desktop to customize My Tasks.

Cons

Some areas need definite improvement - Address Book! No easy way to access or send emails to groups. Address Explorer (an Add-on) helps connect to Outlook, but lots of room for improvement. Sage Construction Anywhere should connect to Address Book. You have to manually add contacts to the companies to be able to give them access to the software, even though they are already set up in Sage Address Book. Some fields are too short to enter all the information needed.
Flexibility with documents - Most are created in Crystal and hard to customize. Hopefully the new Word Integration program in development will solve this problem.

Maureen from Core Homes LLC/Phoenix Developers LLC

BEST CONSTRUCTION ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE OUT THERE !

Have been a user for over 30 years, dos based till current

Pros

Very user friendly, the help button and the knowledge base are awesome places to go to when you need help in finding an answer to how to. Each application is easy to do the work flow. If you make an error in any one entry, the process to fix the mistake or the entry to reverse the error is a very easy step in all of the applications. I love the software!!

Cons

My only issue is job cost is not user friendly with cash management in respect to if you enter a line item job cost that affects cash then you also have to enter the same in cash management to stay in balance.

Lanita from HWH

It was great and integrated with our timberline estimating software

Pros

It was extremely easy to use and our accounting department even said it was fantastic. On the project management side, the staff liked the cost codes you could integrate and use. and the ease of sending financial information in. It was also used for monthly job cost review meetings with project management and operations. I believe it was relatively easy to generate thorough documents for review.

Cons

You couldn't do things through a mobile device. A lot of field staff and other personnel in various industries were always on the go and we couldn't have remote access on smartphones.

November 2013

Nathan from pcg

November 2013

I have used Sage 300 since 2010 and have found it the most troubling accounting software I have encountered. It has the capability to do a lot, but the product is so difficult to use that it makes doing a lot impractical, at least for a smaller company. Sage acquired Master Builder in around 2008 and has yet to implement many of the "smart" features I had expected after they bought it from Intuit in that acquisition. In Master Builder/Sage 100, you can drill down on just about any field or report for more data. This drill down does not exist in Sage 300. The built-in calculator in Sage 100 is so handy; it does not exist in 300. The feature to advance the date using the + and - keys in 100 does not exist in 300. The feature to verify successful check runs through a certain check number does not exist in 300. The use of non-accounting terms intermixed with accounting terms is frustrating to me. When looking at the Cash Management Module, it refers to Debits and Credits as Additions and Subtractions. It posts certain entries as a Negative Debit instead of a Credit or vice-verse. GL is driven by the modules and never the opposite. In 100, you can enter accounting entries and have the job costs updated, but not in 300. If you have to enter a GL transaction that will affect job costs, you have to then go into the job cost module and enter a direct job cost and debit and credit the same account for a net zero GL affect. It can only print one thing at a time. Let me clarify; you open one report, an AP aging. You realize you paid a vendor more than you thought. You then run an open invoice list for that vendor. You realize they haven't been paid on a draw that they should have. You then decide to print the Open Invoice list to give to the PM, Controller, etc., but you can't. The first report that is open gets the print priority. Then if you try to close your AP aging to print your Invoice list, you can't. When you opened the second report, apparently the first report tells the second that it is not allowed to print. You then have to close the second report and re-run it. My biggest issue with 300 is that it is extremely prone to being out of balance with itself. That phrase may not make sense to most accounting users. I am referring to the concept of the GL not matching the AP, AR, Cash, etc modules. I have had so many instances of something being off; most recently, certain sales accounts were showing a previous balance after closing the fiscal year. This required manually changing the previous year account balance on the sales account and changing the retained earnings by the same amount. These sort of internal errors are very scary to me because Sage doesn't know why they happen, and if it can happen in one place, it can happen just about anywhere, I would think. Sage support is decent; they are all pretty used to the odd quirks and defects of the program, so they seem to be able to get these problems solved. If you are a daily user of the software, I would recommend not getting Sage 300.

Raj from Empire Management Inc

Sage 300 Review

Coming from Simply and QuickBooks this software take you way beyond their functionality. Highly recommend for any construction companies to take this software on as it really goes above and beyond allowing you to track multiple projects, invoice using different products. The app entry allows such variations including Manual Cheque, E-transfers, Credit Card (entry by a vendor) and regular cheque runs. As a company we want to streamline double payments and this system allows us to catch many duplicate submissions. I can't say enough of how happy I am that it integrates with Excel and if you don't want to invest in excel custom reports if your accountant uses ODBC at all they can extract the information easily.

Pros

AP system (easy of entry, avoid duplicates
Job Cost (track multiple projects, ensure they are invoiced, reports by vendor, by code)
Cash Management System(reconcile your statements so easily, transfers between companies are so simplified, make an entry on the fly)
GL (reports ...allow you to analyze your accounts)

Cons

Financial Reporting (out of the box reports are functional but not friendly to them eye comparable to simply/QuickBooks) but they do the job but would be nice to have better out of the box reports. That being said you can also order customer reports if that is what you are looking for.

Jeff from Daoust Construction

The software is relatively easy to use.

Reporting is relatively easy once you have done the set-up. Able to export to excel for outside users such as auditors is helpful.

Pros

Input is quick and easy. It has been around long enough that most bugs are sorted out unlike some software. Once you learn some of the tricks/shortcuts it is even easier.Updates are frequent and the help desk resolves issues quickly. Able to customize reports.

Cons

Like most software it takes some time to setup. Customizing to your business is a feature but then you need to learn to us crystal in order to make updates. Closing month in one module doesn't always update or close the others.

athena from Mitchell Installations Ltd.

I really enjoy using sage 300 and very easy to learn.

Pros

process data very quick, strong customer support, user friendly, Easy upgrade from entry-level accounting applications. Easy to change dashboard widgets. Customizable, ribbon-based navigation menus. Successful mobile access from multiple operating systems using Google Chrome. Customer relationship management (CRM) available in the 300 product line.

Cons

Custom report design is not easy to learn; Payroll and inventory unavailable as 300 components. No hard timetable for adding modules. No flowchart/process navigation. Limited dashboard widgets on screen. No drill-down or navigation capability.