• Pros

• "Super easy to use Great presentation Affordable Great customer service Nice features"

• "Simple to use and easy to get started. Great simple accounting interface with all your necessary reporting"

• "works as advertised, syncs with my bank and keeps my invoices in one place. also my CPA loves that I use a tool since it makes her life easier. "

• Cons

• "growing pains of a young software but their support is good at keeping me updated on things"

• "There is not much I don't like about the software other than it needs more payment options. I like Stripe but I would love the option to use PayPal with some clients."

• "It have some minor things about local settings and shortcuts but it minor things! Thanks to friendly support i don't worry."

Browse Sunrise Reviews

Art from Art Remnet Smart Marketing Coach Mastermind Mentor

Industry: Publishing

Easy to use Accounting Foundation, Impressive Road Map

Billy is a small business accounting lifesaver. I love how Billy saves me time in day-to-day operations and keeps me compliant with my books. My accountant even loves Billy (and she used to recommend that "books" software). Thank you Billy!

Pros

For the first time in 20+ years accounting is not a frustrating and overly expensive task. Billy has provided my companies a easy to use and nearly complete solution that does not cost a fortune or hold me hostage. Using Billy has saved me countless hours each month for the past 18 months. It's streamlined and logical workflows, dead simple invoicing, and reasonable fees make Billy a real winner for small business.

Cons

The only gotcha with Billy is their integration with PayPal accounts is not as clean as it could be. The company is on the right track and should have this issue resolved shortly. The support team at Billy has been fantastically helpful and understanding. They not only know accounting, they know how to help people.

Intuitive, easy to set up and use!

I have yet to truly tap into the Sunrise features for my own business, but love the invoicing features, and am looking forward to converting everything over soon.

Pros

Sunrise offers even better features and functionality for my small business than QuickBooks online, and for a fraction of the cost!

Cons

My accountant is not interested in learning to use Sunrise. She is a Quickbooks expert, so I still have to keep my bookkeeping there and currently only use the invoicing features in Sunrise. I would really like to switch, however.

Candace from Candace Gaskin Webb

Industry: Writing and Editing

Tracks expenses very well!

I used to track expenses in a very haphazard way. This cost me money at tax time because I was never able to gather all of my allowable deductions together to claim. This program lets me track business expenses in every category, which means at tax time it will be easy ot claim every deduction allowed.

Pros

it is very easy to use and provides clear, clean methods to track my business expenses each week. There are plenty of helpful tips available as well.

Cons

I dislike that it has not been intergrated with PayPal yet. I hope someday it is. Many freelancers, including myself get paid almost exclusively through PP and it would be great to have all bookeeping tools integrated.

matt from Abraxas Media, LLC

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

It gets me paid without a hassle

Overall, this has been a remarkable software, and the support is outstanding.

Pros

I've used several invoicing platforms and so far, Sunrise is the easiest. It's organized well, with the expense reports and other things I don't need to see frequently pushed to the side. The main thing is to see an overview and then see my invoices. It delivers this flawlessly. The overview shows an immediate comparison of the current year with your last year, and shows a pie chart for which clients have paid the most. It's always encouraging to see this clear info.

Cons

I would like it to integrate with TurboTax more easily. I often consider using Quickbooks invoicing just for this purpose. I'd also like a receipt snapshot feature like Quickbooks Self-Employed has, where I can just take a picture of a receipt and immediately import it into my expenses.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Sunrise was offered with a Briefcase plan

Nate from Growth|Media

Simple Invoicing

5/10. It works, it's simple, but it doesn't give me all the option and tools that I would like when it comes to integrating and designing invoices. They just don't match up with the design scheme of my company and because of that, we have switched services, although it should be said, it's been a lot higher of a learning curve with more the complex platforms we've switched to.

Pros

A basic, fairly easy to use platform for creating and managing invoices. It's utility is fine, it does allow my clients to pay us through their invoices. It's because of this, that I give it a mediocre rating. However, I think there is room for improvement.

Cons

This app lacks the design and integration capabilities of its competitors and they seem to have been experiencing some growing pains lately. The templates are basic and allow for minimal changes in font, some color, and logo changes; that is about it though. Our company uses sales decks to issue quotes for projects and it would be great if I could integrate billy invoices into that, however design compatibility aside, billy invoices can only be structured vertically, not horizontally, which is how our deck are orientated. We've also experienced some glitches in notifications and connections to stripe, which is the processor they use.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi Nate, Thanks for your honest review. You are right that we are simpler than some of our competitors (though not any less powerful!). This is how we keep our costs low and our prices low for new entrepreneurs. It also helps small businesses who don't have accountants keep their books organized on a budget. I am sorry that our invoice designs didn't work out for you. It sounds like you have a design focused business and I can understand the need to have even more control over how your invoices look. Our invoice templates are clean and elegant and very customizable for most small businesses with levers for font type, color and style as well as logo placement and even background colors. Thanks again for giving us a try and best of luck with your business! -The Billy Team

Leonardo from Wolff Consultoria

Easy to use Bookkeeping tool

Pros

This tool was previously called Billy, but since Lendio bought it they changed the name to Sunrise. Not just the name changed, customer support improved a lot and the tool have more options. It's worth nothing that this tool will only working for people that are US-based. The double entry booking is the same used by Quickbooks and software like it. It's possible to attach receipts, invoice customers and charge them using Stripe, Square, PayPal and other payment gateways. It's a very powerful app, yet, simple

Cons

It would be nice to see recurring payments, a set and forget to charge customers that are on subscriptions. Support told me they will add it soon!

I really like it but,,

Pros

One of the most wonderful intuitive accounting software in the world, very good and great features especially for tracking invoices and payments. However, they suddenly stopped supporting the worldwide customer and just accept the north Ameria countries, even they asked their current customers from the other countries to stop their subscription and to move to another company!!

Cons

They have an App for registering the expenses from bill and invoices directly from your phone, very useful especially when using the camera from the App to confirm the bills.

Ben from talenthire on-demand marketplace

SMB & Freelancers, BILLY TO THE RESCUE!

So far, Im satisfied. They do the hard work at keeping track of business revenue p&l and also tracking receipts via their mobile app. Just scan and upload to their website. I personally love this app and think it will help me grow my company to the next level. Your Bookkeeper will love it too, as it has easy exports for your business data & taxes.

Pros

The ease of use and its integration with Stripe. Easily setup your products or services, and create recurring invoices to your clients. They make payment easy too!

Cons

Stripe fees, but thats not their fault. Would like to see a PayPal integration since its just as easy as a Stripe integration.

Too Simple to Use

Pros

the cost of the program is very cheap which is good to keep track of where money is, creating invoices, uploading bills, and generating PDF's to send to customers. The interface is very great as well and allows you to reconcile with your banks in a pretty easy fashion

Cons

There really isn't that much to this program aside from basic accounting practices and reconciling. Sometimes the imports, especially when trying to upload a file can result in errors. Setting something up such has recurring payment reminders, I think would make this app a lot more efficient.

Great starter accounting software

Billy has given me an easy and understandable way to start tracking my expenses and invoicing my clients. Other software was more expensive and did a lot but wasn't a good fit for a one-man shop or a microbusiness with less than 10 employees.

Pros

Billy is quick and easy to set up and start invoicing and tracking expenses. Syncs with your bank account (if supported), so it will auto-track your purchases. You can also send invoices and quotes for your services. The software is easy to navigate. Everything is navigated through a side bar and you have a lot of room in the design to find what you need.

Cons

It is a bit limited in invoicing. You can send automatic invoices but they still have to be paid by the client. No automatic billing. Also with invoicing, there are multiple payment methods, but you can only choose one per invoice. For example you can either accept a PayPal payment or credit cards, but not offer both payment options on the same invoice.

Billy vs Freshbooks

Overall, I am using Billy because of the lifetime deal I have for it. It provides a substantial savings over the monthly cost for Freshbooks. However, without the features, workflow, and integrations that I have come to rely on for my business, I make up for the cost with my time (or a less efficient business). For the cost, I can't complain and even then, Billy really is a nice piece of software for managing quotes, invoicing, and payments.

Pros

I purchased a lifetime deal of Billy through AppSumo, which is really the only reason I am using it. Admittedly, my experience with Billy is colored by me being a longtime user of Freshbooks (which I was very happy with!), so perhaps I had a set of expectations coming into Billy. That being said, Billy is a nice software that gets the job done. They've recently implemented Paypal payments, which I couldn't believe was missing, but so glad it's here, as I have many clients who prefer to pay that way. It shows that they listen to feedback and are actively working on their roadmap. Another plus I appreciate is that you can collect signatures for quote approvals, which is nice.

Cons

However, the two pros mentioned above, Paypal and the quotes functionality, have a flip side. The downside to Paypal is that I can't offer the option on an invoice for clients to pay via Paypal or credit card, I can only offer one or the other -- which completely defeats the purpose! Ideally, I would offer clients as many options as possible, since I don't know in advance which way they would prefer to pay. So, in order to continue to offer payment via Stripe, I can't use the (much anticipated!) Paypal feature. For quotes, it's not immediately apparent in the UI when a quote has been accepted (you have to navigate to each one individually and open it, and even then, it's not glaringly obvious). When you have multiple open quotes, this is a waste of time to continually be checking in this way. There is an option to be notified via email when a quote is accepted, but for a while this wasn't working. I ended up missing a few quote acceptances. I have also run into some weird glitches when setting up payment options. Customer support was pretty slow to respond via email, and I had to follow up multiple times to get any sort of closure on my issue. The biggest con for me (and this is only because I am used to Freshbooks) is that there is no integrated timekeeping feature. I had to search high and low to find a cost-effective solution to track time against projects.

Limited features, but excellent for those features

Prior to using Billy, I was using Freshbooks. Their prices skyrocketed recently, with no real improvement in features or other details which warranted the price hike. That's the reason I came to Billy, but then I was happy to see that something else was the happy result -- I get paid faster. Freshbooks invoices and the system for logging in, paying, viewing, printing, etc., must have been tedious for my clients, because the same clients getting Billy invoices, click and pay MUCH more rapidly, with FEW hiccups in the process. Simply put, with the same business, and the same clients, I get paid more often, more quickly, and with less administrative time. That's a huge win.

Pros

The ease of use, the simplicity of getting started, the clean and minimal look of the invoice templates.

Cons

There are not many bells and whistles, and that's what makes this program so simple and easy to use, but this also means some very useful features are absent -- features which are NOT complicated and should be the norm. For instance, there are two (2) features which are not overly complicated, and yet, would be very useful, if we had them: 1) Let us hyperlink a term, with a URL. I am invoicing for content, and need to reference a URL where this content can be reviewed. I must cut and paste the URL as plain text, and cannot hyperlink it to the URL. This is tedious and looks amaturish. 2) Let us have a text / narrative / summary field at the BOTTOM of the invoice, instead of the top. There is a "message box" at the top of the invoice template, which positions itself immediately under the client's address. This is great for a simple greeting or other short message, but what we really need is this same feature at the bottom of the invoice, also, as a summary, or to include a narrative of some kind that gives a bit more detail on the invoice charges, or confirms a special arrangement or a message between me and my client, which may be too long to put at the top, where it gets in the way of the most important information -- the invoice details / charges.

Fantastic. The competitors can't keep up.

Pros

The best thing about Billy is the ease of use. Now usually ease of use means "it doesn't do much." WRONG, this is a powerful bookkeeping program. I recommend it to all my clients. You could invest more in other programs, spend time trying to figure them out, set it up wrong, pay a consultant and then only use a small portion of it, but with Billy you can do it all. (If you want they have a list of accountants and bookkeepers who use Billy and can help - but you won't need their help.) The other big PRO is that this software is rapidly and constantly improving. Additionally, they have a community of users who are very active in helping one another. This community also provides suggestions on how the software can improve and Billy listens. Go ask for improvements with any competing accounting software packages and you'll find you're wasting your time. Billy listens and then acts. Bottom Line: If you are an entrepreneur you don't want to waste time or money get Billy. You don't want your employees to waste time or money get Billy. If you want to keep track of your money get Billy. If you have time or money to waste get some other program and THEN when that doesn't work like you wanted it to get Billy.

Cons

The one thing that I like least about Billy is that they don't connect with every bank. Granted, I use a small regional bank, but it is my bank and I get special treatment at my bank. I'm not going to give up Billy just because it doesn't (yet) interact with my bank.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

We just updated our banks to include thousand more. Please try again to see if your bank is now supported.

Trevor from Graphic Art

For someone who struggles to keep the books, Billy became my new best friend overnight.

Joy beyond belief, My accounting and bookkeeping skills were causing me a nightmare, now, I actually sleep better knowing I'm on track, the product is awesome.

Pros

The Income and expense overview - I always know where my money is and isn't, Creating Invoices is almost too easy, just enter the details, generate a PDF (with your company logo on), and email to the customer, done and dusted. Bills, scan, upload, everything in date order, I always know whatI've had to pay out, and to which customer to deliver their final invoice. Top customers and Top vendors, AWESOME feature, s much information from these two tools can be streamlined, who is happiest with what I do, who do I need to check in with so I don't lose a client, cost per vendor, find a cheaper better way to save money, yet maintain the same level of service I've personally come to expect, always streamlining :) Seriously, this is the greatest app in my arsenal, don't believe me, TRY IT FOR YOURSELVES, Billy really does deserve a 10 star rating.

Cons

There are two things (one I know is happening), and one that would just be a cherry on the cake. The first is currently no way to link UK bank accounts, although I've been told that will appear hopefully Q2 this year, the only other feature I feel is needed, is a personal diary/journal & a personal calendar. I do a lot of meetings, it would be great to integrate new clients and their idea's from the initial meeting as part of the historical process and the calendar because it's always a useful tool to share information with to whoever is working with you. There the only things that for me would make Billy the ultimate app for anyone.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi Trevor, We just updated our bank technology and will likely support your UK bank. Please try to connect it again. -Billy

Andres from AndresVernazza.com

Great tool but needs some improvement

I definitely like the tool, but it needs some improvements in terms of giving more control over the numbers to the users. Delete, void, etc.

Pros

I loved it once they connected the banks integration. This makes it very easy to do a reconciliation with your bank. The interface is great, and the reporting works good too.

Cons

It should be more customizable and we should be able to remove "unreconciled entries". Currently the only way to remove those is by uploading a .csv file which make is very time consuming to get everything up to date. Also we should be able to break a payment into different customers. For instance, I import payments from Stripe, but I have to attribute all the payments to the same person because of Billy limitations.

Carolyn from Self-Employed

An accounting tool with a lot of potential

Pros

First and foremost, I really appreciate that the development team are working so hard to make their users happy and constantly improve this tool. I purchased this tool last summer during an Appsumo sale knowing that I would probably need to wait a little while to implement Billy into my business. At the time, it didn't offer features that I required for invoicing, tax management and bookkeeping. I implemented this tool a little over a month ago and have been fairly happy since then. The dashboard is easy to navigate and once I got the hang of how to properly account for multiple currencies it was even easier. I've reached out several times to support and have typically received prompt responses, though they are not always helpful (received links to help pages without images or tutorial videos that definitely used to have those support tools embedded). As with most support teams, patience is important. Overall, I think Billy has the potential to be a really great small biz accounting tool and I've decided to stick around because of this. My plan is to reassess the software and how it is meeting my needs at the end of 2018 and decide if this is still the right fit for my business.

Cons

I really, really need the ability to add and track multiple tax lines. I'm in the process of figuring out a workaround, but it will likely mean tracking some of my income through a separate tool. I also wish that the weekly office hour meetings (or a summary) could be made available in an archive for those that can't attend.

Ed from Healthcare

A simple solution that inexpensively provides all the functionality of the big guys

I really like the electronic invoice transmittal - it adds a lot of validity to my company, as does the ability to pay electronically.

Pros

Billy is very easy to use, with lots of tutorials to help you set it up correctly, the first time. As a cloud-based solution, it can be accessed from anywhere, on any platform. It has all the functionality needed in an accounting platform, at a very inexpensive price. The team is constantly developing/tweaking areas within the application, providing even more functionality while making it even easier to use.

Johnathan from Clickitivity, Inc

Simple, But Powerful

I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to switch to Billy. I've been using the software for a little over two months. I've developed some pros that I thought set Billy apart from some its competitors. Additionally, I've provided some cons to make people aware. PROS: - Ridiculously easy to use. - The ability to reconcile -- most invoicing and billing softwares do not have this, and if they do, it's extremely complicated and hard to use. - Customer portal (where customers can see past and current invoices -- paid, outstanding, and overdue) - Recurring invoices - Automatically import bills into billy by forwarding them to a Billy email address - AMAZING customer service. All of the questions and concerns I've had have been addressed extremely quickly. CONS: - Some features are lacking While Billy has a ton of amazing features, there are some features that they lack. See below: - There is no CC option when sending recurring or regular invoices. In order to send to more than one person, you need to manually choose the contact and send. This can be extremely inconvenient for people who have a lot of recurring invoices that get sent regularly to more than one contact within an organization. - It's a pain to reconcile batch invoices. If you have any sort of payment gateway that batches transactions into one lump sum (stripe), it's a little time consuming to reconcile. Evan generously provided me with a guide on how to do it, but it takes quite a bit of extra work than it does with normal transactions. - There are no recurring bills. If you have bills that you usually get every month, you need to manually put them in each time you get them. - There is no option to take out Billy branding within the invoices you send.

Sunny from NewPulse Studios

Easy to use, but unsure of it's future

Overall, I have enjoyed using Billy, especially when I was just starting my business. I have been trying out all the major competitors lately, and was surprised that most miss some of the multi-currency features Billy has (other than the exchange rate issue). I would consider continuing to use Billy, but I am concerned about its future development. It feels more like a 1-2 man show that is just trying to keep its head above water, as opposed to software that is going to get better over time.

Pros

- Quick, easy to use interface - Really easy to match imported transactions, even with foreign currencies - Easily account for transfer fees, unlike other accounting software - Handles multi-currency well, other than one fairly significant thing (see con list)

Cons

- exchange rate for foreign currency transactions is based on date of input, not date of transaction (this can be a big deal when reporting your taxes. Definitely let your accountant know) - having issues with a certain bank feed - can only have one live Paypal feed, meaning you can't associate different Paypal currencies with different accounts

Super simple quoting and invoicing

Pros

I've used a few different billing software platforms, and I actually quite like Billy. At first I thought it was a little bit too basic, but I soon realized that I don't need it to do anything complicated, and the simplicity is actually a nice change. I bought a lifetime deal on the software when it first came out, I don't think that's still available, but I like the fact that there is no monthly fee (at least for me).

Cons

There are a couple of things that I don't like much. The first is that I'd like to be able to present my invoice and bills on my own domain, instead of a having a customer click on billyapp.com. The second is that I'm unsure of the delivery rate for invoices and quotes that are emailed from the Billy platform. I've had a number of clients say they never got a quote or invoice from me, so I usually download a copy and send directly from my own email. It could just be user error, so take that with a grain of salt.

Matthew from Matthew Rupp Consulting

Customer service was terrible. Very frustrating. Tried hard to make it work for several days

Pros

Looks pretty. Wish I could have used it. Looks amazing from the surface. Customer support was terrible.

Cons

I don't know WHEN I have more frustrated with a companies 'service'. VERY frustrated. I was excited about this deal and jumped right on it. I tried syncing with my Cap One Spark business account (from my phone) and it didn't work so I emailed asking if this really wasn't an option. I got a list of 9501 banks emailed to me NOT in alphabetical order. What am I supposed to do with that? I tried the chat option and explained when I added my cap one account it pulled in my PERSONAL banking details and not my business accounts which made no sense. They told me to talk to cap one, which I did. Then I tried adding my business account info again and it kept reverting back to my previously synched personal accounts. Frustrating. So I went ahead and added my personal bill account and then deleting it and hoping that would work. Nope. I tried calling over and over and it was always busy. They take forever to respond on chat and were not helpful at all. I finally got ahold of them and they said they dont have phone support. Free support Email: support@billyapp.com Phone: (800) 241-7365 Help center: www.billyapp.com/support That's right on the dashboard when new users sign in. I get ahold of them via chat and Joshua suggesting 'bombing' the account and starting over which I did. He said 24 hours later I could try again and hopefully it would work that time. Even though nobody did anything to help it work the next time but maybe so. Here we are over 24 hours later and, of course, it pulls up my personal (not business) info. I give up. Incredibly frustrated by the terrible response, being sent a list of 10k sites to dig through, being given a number they DON'T answer, having chat and not being very available.

James from RocketstarMedia

An Amazing Alternative to Other Accounting Programs

I have really simplified my workflow using Billy. It's been a great tool to use to set up recurring invoices for some of my clients.

Pros

What I like the most about Billy is the ease of use. It's simple to get started and get your bank accounts set up and create invoices, quotes, etc.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is that I have two businesses that I use Billy with and because it's cloud based I have to log into two differnt accounts, one with chrome and the other with firefox. It makes it complicated if you have more than one business as you will need different log-ins and subscriptions. It would be awesome if they could expand it to contain multiple businesses with the ability to simply click on the business name and change to another business.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi James, You can actually have one account with multiple organizations. With that setup, you can have one login for all of your orgs. Please contact our support to help you set that up.

Gary from Growth Dynasty

Has excellent potential but still has some way to go!

It makes complex accounting simple.

Pros

Billy provides a simple solution for accounting that is specifically designed for freelancers and agencies. It has a great user interface and is very easy to use. It is solid and I have never had a problem with.

Cons

The fact that key features have taken so long to evolve. I am talking about no PayPal integration and the fact that bank syncing has only just arrived in my country. The most annoying thing is that whilst key features are lagging behind the team are investing users money in having season Billy logos designed, which quite frankly is ridiculous. Their community management needs work as well.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi Gary, You didn't like our pumpkin head Billy face :(

Angelos from ASP SFAKIANAKIS

I have "install" Billy to my clients. No worries from then!

Loyalty from my clients, Easy access to help and advice them for they everyday matters. Clean data with easy exports for further analysis.

Pros

Simplicity, clean interface and free customizing of Chart of accounts. Lot options for exporting in xls format (i love excel).

Edward from Hong Kong Baptist University

Billing Clients made Simple and Easy

I just love Billy. The name is great. The interface design is great. And it is easy to generate and track invoices.

Pros

Billy has such a memorable name yes, it is for billing. I love the ease of creating invoices and Billy does the hard job of accounting and tracking. Plus,

Cons

New features are rolling out too slow. Perhaps, I live in a place where there is no sale tax. However, the invoices created by Billy must include a lot stating Tax = 0 dollar in the past which just was got rid of lately.

Jan from Bear Web Content

Industry: Writing and Editing

Easy to use and reliable

I'm a solo freelancer who does all my own billing. I'm happy to have such a simple solution because it saves me time and headaches.

Pros

I've been using Billy for more than a year now. It's very easy to use and reliable. It meshes seamlessly with Stripe (and other payment processors, but I don't use them). When I've had occasion to contact customer service (once or twice), they've been quick to answer my question. Note: There are online accounting features to the software that I don't use, because I prefer to use my own spreadsheets. Nothing against Billy, but I choose not to use them.

Cons

I'm really reaching here, but it can be difficult to find where to go to change the wording of their default emails. I've had to drop a note in the customer service chat to be reminded how to do that. And the answer came back quickly.

Accounting for Non-Accountants

This helps me be more efficient and keep track of my accounts a bit better. I am still not utilizing all the features correctly or to their fullest but have hopes to get there. The key thing for me was being able to get up and going quickly and if not using all the features to at least have them more complex and dual entry accounting options available

Pros

I bought Billy because I needed an affordable, easy to use system for my Freelance business. This was easy enough for me to set up, includes room for me to grow with it's extended features and is something I can hand over to an accountant when I am ready. I love that I can collect payment from the invoice and take many forms of payment

Cons

I just an not a numbers accounting person and really dislike this stuff so I procrastinated on set up items that will help me and iddn't utilize help docs as much as I shoulda

Better than quickbooks, but still not the best

I've used quickbooks, freshbooks, xero. Billyapp does fill in the gap, but some extra features (mentioned in the cons) will make it #1

Pros

Simple and fully functional accounting & billing system that has multi-currency invoicing

Cons

Doesn't have recurring expenses, unable to generate customer statements, unable to apply a discount % or amount in an invoice. Website is not mobile responsive. app name "billyapp" sounds 'Naff', when i tell clients to check their email for our invoicing system sent from "billapp"... Could I use my own custom domain or you use another domain to send emails?

Response from Billy

Replied November 2018

You are able to create customer statements and apply discounts to invoices. Please contact our support for help.

Jonathon from Eurohomes

August 2016

Extremely simple and great to use

Setting up and getting started was super easy. We use this software for a retail store selling appliances, so lower volume of transactions a day makes it super easy and to track customer purchases.

Pros

Cons

No inventory management if you need it. Would like to see a PO module in the software in the future

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi Jonathon, You can create a PO module by renaming Estimates to PO in the template. Contact our support to learn how. -Billy

Nick from Dogote

Awesome Invoicing Made Easy

We use Billy for invoicing, quotes/estimates, as well as keeping up with our business expenses. Our customers have given us great feedback, especially being able to pay online through the invoices we send. Our money processes in a reasonable time as well. Overall, the presentation is outstanding. Very clean and easy on the eyes, not to mention easy to use as well. Cant say enough good things. Also, we had one slight hiccup, only once, where we couldnt get an invoice to send through email. Customer service/tech handled this quickly and we have had no issues since!

Pros

Cons

Honestly Im very pleased overall with everything.

August 2016

Tim from Marlow Beran, Inc.

August 2016

Billy runs our small business

My wife is an independent hair stylist, basically she rents a chair. We have been using Billy for our book keeping since we started it in mid 2015. It is everything we need, and for being free you absolutely cannot beat it.

Pros

Simple interface, exceptional customer service (considering it is free), and I can access it from any device I want.

Cons

Not much to dislike so far. It is a fairly basic program, so if we had a larger or more complicated business, I could see it maybe not being as useful.

Daniela from Daniela Uslan Freelance Writing

Industry: Writing and Editing

Intuitive, easy to use accounting software for your small business

I use Billy for sending invoices to my freelance writing clients. It's an easy to use platform and meets all of my invoicing needs. It also allows you to bill with credit cards and Paypal, which my clients love.

Pros

Billy is my go-to program for creating invoices for my clients in my freelance writing business. It's easy to create a template, add products, and even send recurring invoices. You can also accept credit card and Paypal payments right from your invoices.

Cons

The email that is autogenerated by the software needs improvement. The subject line it creates is the invoice number, which isn't very meaningful to the customer. It also addresses the email to the name of the business instead of the name of the contact. I have to go in and change it every time I send an email.

Ladislav from Media C

Industry: Graphic Design

Great cloud based accounting g and invoicing solution

Using BillyApp for over a year now and we are very satisfied so far with its performance. There have been few issues here and there but sorted by fast support.

Pros

Ease of use of available features; accounting section is pretty good too and certainly creating expenses based on uploaded receipts is a plus.

Cons

Needs number of features: customer statements, better VAT handling for Irish annual Trading details return

Sandhya from Timeless Beauty Bar

Industry: Cosmetics

Great for a startup

Good, but would only use for the beginning year or two of a startup. Definitely not for advanced features or book keeping.

Pros

The Billy software is very easy to use, pretty trivial.

Cons

Billy lacks a lot of features as the company grows and advances, also does not have an actual app that you can use from mobile device. It is very limited in its use to receipt captures only.

Debbie from Mum's the Boss

Industry: Writing and Editing

Basic but just what I need

I amsaving money compared to my previouse accounting package, but this is much more simple and streamlined.

Pros

I find the software very simple and basic. It does exactly what I need it to, with no complications or awkward stuff. That being said i am an accountant and I know what I'm doing - might be a little bit too basic for a total beginner....

Cons

Billy is still very much in start up phase, and not everything works exactly as I would want yet, although I think they are heading in the right direction. Over the last six weeks or so I finally managed to connect my bank account nd transfer transactions automatically - once I manage to connect my Paypal account too I will be in heaven

Jeremy from EM Global, LLC

I have been using Billy for about 2 weeks and I love it!

This software was used for invoicing our clients and managing expenses. We are transitioning (slowly but surely) to only using this for all our invoicing needs.

Pros

I like how you can setup accounts for your employees to log in to send invoices, This software allows you to setup recurring monthly invoicing (which is awesome). You can upload your receipts and keep track of expenses all in the same app.

Cons

The invoicing can be a bit of a hassle until you get all the items input into the system. But, it does work great. I can't update my banking information yet. I contacted support and they are aware of the issue with my bank, and they are getting it fixed and said in October it should be up and running. This is a new company and I do love the platform so I don't mind. I think this was a great investment for my business.

Darryl from Dahlhouse Enterprises, LLC

I can track my own finances

I was intimidated by leaving the spreadsheet and shoebox method of accounting. With very little time and some help from support, I was tracking my income and expenses, categorizing transactions in a way that makes my accountant happy, and invoicing my clients from one integrated platform. I use it daily and recommend it to friends.

Pros

Simple learning curve, easy invoicing, white label branding

Leonardo from Pine3Media

Accounting is boring... not with Billy

Made my life way easier when doing business in multiple Countries. Accounting is a serious thing, and Billy is used by many companies.

Pros

Ok, I got this software to help our company with our accounting. We have clients in multiple countries and with different currencies, so Billy is super easy to use and if you need the support is fast. Billy is also a double entry software, which means its fully compliant with the rules of accountant. I know, accounting is boring, but at least with Billy can be easy.

Cons

One thing that bothers me is the lack of recurrent charges. They do have recurrent invoices capabilities, but the recurrent charges would be an awesome add-on. They said they will add it, if they really do, the software will have ALL an entrepreneur needs to keep things by the book:)

Joey from SEO Logic Agency

Billy Rocks!

Well done, great job on the app! Keep up with the good work!

Pros

Billy really makes your accounting easy! I recommend it to all of my friends, as I hate accounting and this software makes it a breeze.

Cons

Nothing is bothering me so far, and it keeps on improving.

Accounting tool for non accountants

Great experience. Especially after trying other similar products which are not as intuitive.

Pros

The UX is made for non accountants which is great. You intuitively understand where to click and how to do the different processes and the customer support is fantastic.

Cons

The accountants don't like it. This is a con in a world where the accountants often decide what software to use in their domain. The problem is apparently that some of the features are built in a way where you can mingle around with the accounting so the balance in accounting terms does not fit. Would recommend the product for smaller companies, but once you grow bigger it is harder to use.

Kelly from KMD Web Designs

Helpful system

Very helpful and nice customer service

Pros

Brings my clients and work together in one accounting program.

Cons

takes a bit to learn unless you know accounting software. For someone who uses pen and paper, changing over was a little slower than I would expect.

Ankit from Om sai travel

Industry: Utilities

Superb accounting software

Pros

Credit and debit and expense on 1st page and balance sheet too and manage like you and mail invoice

Laura from Anchor and Dash

Billy has revolutionised my business

I love Billy, and every update bring great new functions - keep it up!

Pros

Billy's recurring invoice function, estimates and quotes are integral to my business

Cons

It took many months for my bank to sync, and this function still seems clunky to me.

High Expectation ... NOT MET!

Overall, I have a mixed experience. I like how easy to use Billy, but it never organized my accounts! I eventually moved to another accounting platform, but from time to time I use Billy's invoicing system.

Pros

- Easy to use - Clean interface - Great Invoice design

Cons

- Support is very weak. - The tool is missing major functionality. - Bank integration just came a few weeks back, but it is not stable. - Stripe is not stable. In many cases, the customer paid but payment was not captured. This led to an embarrassing situation where we keep following with customer to find out that they already paid!!! - Stripe payment can not be re-consiled! I have been told that each stripe payment has to be for 1 uniqe customer, which can not be the case! Stripe combine multiple payment together before payout is sent to bank. - Billy's US Management is sensitive to critics.

Bevan from Webspring

Industry: Graphic Design

Easy accounting for right brain thinkers....

As a graphic / web designer using my left brain is tough, so accounting certainly does not come easy. Our rep makes it so easy for me. It's super pretty interface presents the right information in the right places - which is probably why right brain thinkers like me love it!

Pros

Recurring invoices

Cons

There are one or 2 features I'd like to see. 1) I'd like the recurring billing to recognize any price increase etc made in your inventory. 2) Would like the 'Description' included in the table view.

Arpad from WhiteX.Design

Fast and friendly bookkeeping

My experience is still good, I like using Billy. As the time of writing this review Billy is my current invoicing software. I like how fast it is, It just lacks some advanced customization features. Even though the needed features are on their roadmap for more than a year now...

Pros

The interface is very clean and fast, issuing and invoice is very easy. You can create quotes too and send directly to your clients.

Cons

Still in early stages, but it's heading in the right direction. I find the lack of translations limiting. For example you can not issue an invoice in other languages than English.

Gerry from Howetek Creative

A simple and intuitive way to collect money from your clients.

Easy to collect payments from clients. It's as simple as that.

Pros

Very easy to use software, intuitive, and has a great UI. You can even see when a client has viewed your invoice.

Marina from Marina Kosoy CPA

Perfect for simple, repetitive billings

Easy tracking of paid & unpaid bills

Pros

Ease of use- quick customer set up for both companies & individuals as well as easy products billing codes set up

Cons

When emailing a bill, Can't customize the email wording when to have several pre-set templates, i.e.; 2nd notice wording, monthly, quarterly, annual bill, different salutations, etc

Great accounting tool

Pros

Easy to track and manage accounts. It offers the option to upload invoices and gives general advice how to do most basic book keeping. This helps save accounting costs

Cons

It is designed for the danish market and works best if used there. Will be great to offer more customisation for invoice

Robert from Accurate InTel

I use Billy for my Accounting. Bills in, Bills out

Pros

Great interface and reporting. Syncs with all the bank accounts I need it to. Great support team. They offer add-ons to help you understand your bookkeeping

Cons

Missing some features. Ability to accept partial payment Bank Transfers through Billy Some issues with Stripe All are being worked on