Visio

Visio Reviews

2,303 Reviews

1,345

• icon"I used it to make diagrams for my research and I was quite happy with the dedicated features to create diagrams of your choice with ease."
  • icon"How easy is to made a flow chart or a diagram in a modern way. Is really easy to use and have a good integration with other programs."
  • icon"I have used this software almost 6 years and found very useful in drafting/drawing anything you would like to. It is super easy to use and the features and tools are exceptional."
  • icon"I always struggle with arrows connecting two shapes. It is unpredictable where the arrow snaps to as is can be random at times which makes it difficult to snap in the exact place you need it to."
  • icon"I was unable to move parts of the flow diagram without distorting the entire diagram. I was able to learn with few trials and errors."
  • icon"I hate how it is so hard to move thing around, resize thing and overall the manipulation of the software."

Browse all Visio Reviews

• Have you used Visio and would like to share your experience with others?

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,282 reviews

Pitso

Industry: Architecture & Planning

The best Diagramming & vector graphic software

With Visio I've accomplished many projects that I should have done by hand & many days but Microsoft Visio made things easier as I get to finish my projects earlier, get quality maps in 3 dimensions & process flow diagrams. Architectural drawings and designs are so better with Visio and I recommend Microsoft Visio to anyone in diagram or vector graphic industry.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is great for building plans, making good mind maps and 3D maps. Everything comes in Top quality & no errors.

Cons

Some of the tools In the software need good internet connection for best experience as soon as possible.

Muhammad

Must Tool to Develop Comprehensive Flowchart

To prepare a practical, flexible, easy to make, easy to understand flowchart or organizational chart the ultimate choice, in most of cases, will be Microsoft Visio, an innovative way to visualize a business process. Visio enables to learn about organizational setup, flow of documentation, and procedures alongwith cause and effect diagrams, the more important is that the diagram is self explanatory for presentation purpose.

Pros

Being member of rich and widely used family of Microsoft applications, it is effectively configured and integrated with excel, word, powerpoint, teams, sharepoint, onedrive, etc. Microsoft Visio enables users to generate a basic to complex diagram or hierarchal modeling. Visio has all necessary features that are required for graphical presentation of a flowchart or organization chart. Apart from built-in features, there are many templates that can be easily modified according to your requirements.

Cons

Visio is not easy for new user particularly using at mobile, if a new user has to provide links by using arrow keys then he/ she will experience it as a tricky task, it not intuitive as well. Visio does not generate link leading recipient of the link to view diagram at any browser. Visio does not allow arrangement of diagram elements automatically, cropping of image is not allowed, usually arrows do not connect properly. To group or ungroup is not easy task, sometimes auto arrange feature returns errors.

Reasons for switching to Visio

Visio offers more advanced diagramming tools.

Claude Real

Industry: Graphic Design

Poor process mapping tool

Pros

The drag and drop feature is probably the only thing I like from this software.

Cons

Difficulty resizing and aligning content. Difficult to align the arrows.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Because it was part of my Business Office licence and I don't want to pay for an additional software, but given the opportunity I would definitely switch to Nintex ProMapp

Federico

June 2022

A great product to visualize process, organizations and information.

We have developed a series of structures, visual solutions and solutions for our procedures and business hierarchies.

Pros

This tool is very easy to use, many features are pretty intuitive, there are countless techniques and procedures, looks like it was built to modeling structures, you can easily export it to a PDF format, and there is a vast library of icons and elements.

Cons

The main problem with this tool is that the license can be expensive if you are a small company, you cannot share your work to be edited if the other part / customer does not have a Visio license, not included in the suite of Microsoft Office, if you have a very detail or heavy drawing it may crash, and there is no version for MacOs.

Reasons for choosing Visio

We choose Visio because it presented an opportunity to solve our procedures and increase the value our planning department added to the organization.

Reasons for switching to Visio

Visio presented a better alternative that reduced the training time and the adapted well to our BPM.

Vincent

Industry: Security and Investigations

A Superb Visualization Tool

Pros

Vibrant end to end workflow cahrting software taht aids in illustrating concepts and workflows to the specific targeted audience. The ability of teh software to organize subgroups differently and independently is a huge plus. I also love the fact that I can readily import diagrams and insert them in other documents hustle free.

Cons

While it is almost perfect, there is a need to develop Visio for Android to allow for a more seamless working experience when I am off my laptop and on my tablet during travels.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Visio was definitely the cheaper option with a more comprehensive solution, and since we were already on the O365 plan, we chose to go this route.

Tomek

Industry: Chemicals

August 2022

Visio software is very useful for mapping it networks

Visio software is powerful and has many functions. I use this software to create it network diagrams

Pros

creating an it network diagram. data can be mapped to individual elements, information can be assigned.

Cons

Visio software is too expensive. If possible, it is better to choose cheaper software

Reasons for choosing Visio

I have been using Microsoft software for many years and I am used to it. In my previous job, I also used Visio

Giridhar

August 2022

Visio is a great tool for flow chart depiction & presentation

The tool is an excellent visualization tool overall. The end to end flow can be well depicted in this tool. The representation is quite vivid and conveys the message well to the end users.

Pros

Visio is a great tool for compiling the diagrams/pictorial representation for any type of corporate projects. The tool could also serve School/business needs for any type of block diagrams or data flow representation. The diagrams could be easily saved as visio file and exported/imported to other machines containing visio. The tool contains predefined blocks that are customized for drag and drop.

Cons

The drag and drop feature at times could be a bit complicated depending on the component. The bidirectional arrows do not work per expectation. The diagrams are a bit tough to be modified and a person needs to have quite a good hang of the tool in order to hover around.

Danker

Microsoft Visio

Whenever I have a project in the pipeline or prepare a project planning document for submission to a donor agency, I use Visio to make charts of project management, hierarchical structure of a planned project, deployment of personnel, cause and effects/ outcomes of a project, reporting structure, field office layout, project implementation time line, etc. Visio charts can be saved as JPG files and easily inserted into a project document. The use of such charts certainbly enhances the readability of any document.

Pros

If you are used to work with flowcharts, diagrams, project management, Visio for me is the best tool. To use Visio optimally, you will need to learn how to use it. Once that is done, Visio is one of the best products for creating flowcharts, diagrams etc.

Cons

A minor thing: Visio would improve its usability if measurements are not just in inches or centimeters but in user-defined and adjustable measurements.

Bruno

Industry: Industrial Automation

August 2022

The best software for drawing innovative diagrams.

We are now being hired to make diagrams for our clients, they are happy to have their information organized and easy to understand.

Pros

It is a great software, it has a very simple and practical interface, and with many images and symbols that can be used to make excellent and creative diagrams. The software is easy to use, with an explanation class it is enough for them to make their own diagrams. The integration of the software to my company has been easy since now we can organize our information through the diagrams to teach and explain to our clients so that they can understand much better.

Cons

In reality, the software is very complete, it has everything that I would not change anything about, and all aspects of the software are easy to use, you just need the desire to make your diagrams and improve your projects.

Muhammad

Industry: Chemicals

Great Software for Making Flowcharts and Layouts

Pros

Great Software for Making Flowcharts and Layouts and it is very very helpful in making day to day business related layouts.

Cons

I have not found anything yet which i can mentioned that i dislike.

Timothy

Very capable diagramming tool

Overall a very feature rich diagramming tool. Overall sharing / file management was NOT Good. which was the dealbreaker for me.

Pros

Overall Visio can do everything you need to in regards to diagramming. There are hundreds of shapes icons, tips, tricks etc... I spent 6+ months getting familiar with the program and once you have the hang of it you really can make amazing diagrams and visuals. I really think you should be on the latest visio as there are older versions which default settings make all your diagrams look very old and outdated. But the newer version of Visio does have better visuals/colors etc which make your diagrams look more modern. There are lots of keyboard shortcuts which are amazingly helpful, only downside is you have to learn them, which does take time.

Cons

I found Visio is clunky and hard to learn, and some of the features they tout like 'auto-align' I could never find useful. it always messed up the order / arrangement of the diagram. Also the color themes and fonts tend to make the diagrams look a little outdated. Especially if you are on an older version of Visio. Anything earlier than 2019 I think has default settings which made my diagrams look like they were made in the 90s. The other thing which was a PAIN is sharing diagrams, it makes it really difficult to keep a source of truth diagram and constantly be exporting it to PDF, always wondering who has the latest version etc... O365 should fix this, but I always found copies getting saved to my local and just exasperating the problem. More than once I had to make the same changes to a diagram cause I misplaced or lost an updated version. That is my biggest pain with visio, and is ultimately why I switched to Lucid Chart.

Industry: Tobacco

The tool for visual mathematicians

I love it for the purpose it was intended for. I don't think I could find anything better. Most of the time I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Just don't let yourself get in a spot where you need to write your own code to generate your charts automatically because the API and help for it would require another degree just for this product.

Pros

It can connect to a wide range of data sources to present data in your charts. It has a wide range of abilities through the various add-ons and tools. The range of standard drawing objects is huge and you can create your own if you know what you are doing.

Cons

It sucks for trying to program against it. Every drawing object has its own properties, methods and behaviors. It is a real nightmare if you need to integrate it into an automation system. The only one I have found that might be worse is Outlook and that would depend on what you were doing.

Reasons for choosing Visio

We didn't. Our company purchased both and use them both for different types of needs.

Reasons for switching to Visio

These versions had a lot of functionality but since our company bought the MS suite and Visio came as part of the package it just made sense to use what we had versus buying something else.

Great tool to draw Flowcharts , Process flows and Network drawings!!

I'm using Visio for my daily work when I need to draw flowcharts, business process and more importantly for network drawings and rack drawings. Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort. GUI is very easy to use and templates cover most of the daily business requirements and even easy to find many templates online and use it. I'm using original stencils for all my drawings ( Network and Rack diagrams )which gives me perfect output. So overall I really recommend MS Visio...

Pros

Easier to learn and use it even for a beginner who never used Visio or any proper software. The richness of the templates in the library and even the possibility to download additional templates as per your requirement. Available many stencils with most of the brands (HP, Cisco, Dell, etc.) when using to draw network diagrams.

Cons

You need to pay separately for license costs even you have Office Professional or Office 365. Need to convert to PDF or another version to view it , if you don't have Visio to see it.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Trust over Microsoft products. An existing good relationship with Microsoft. Easiness of use and to learn. Better features and functionality.

Reasons for switching to Visio

Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. ( Mainly professional look output and easiness to use) Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort.

Steve

Visio is your type of drawing and diagram software if you are not a CAD expert

- I have drawn hundreds of drawings in Visio, from Network drawings to Architectural drawings to Flow Charts and Engineering drawings for parts fabrication. - It took me a long time to master Visio for complicated drawings but now I would never use anything else. - Visio drawings always impress the boss.

Pros

- It can draw anything you can think of - There are many pre-defined symbols that can be dragged and dropped into a drawing - Pre-defined symbols can be easily incorporated into your drawing with connectors that snap to connection points and can then be dragged to other parts of the drawing. - It can print your drawing onto any size paper you select - Drawings, objects, symbols, lines and connectors can be colored using the standard Windows colors. - Objects and symbols can have data embedded into them from a database or used to create a database. - There is an almost unlimited amount of help available from boards and users on the web. - You can import AutoCAD drawings and change them. - Drawings can be exported into AutoCAD format.

Cons

- There is a very long learning curve. - It uses the typical Microsoft help function which cannot find things using plain English queries. (Google is MUCH better) - It may be difficult to find the thing you want to do as there are some many functions. - The Microsoft "Ribbon" can be a real pain when trying to find a function. It can waste a huge amount of time. - If you know the name of the function, you can put into the "What do you want to do" search function but if you find it there, it does not show you where, in the Ribbon, that function is, so you do not have the opportunity to learn - It can be quite cumbersome, when working on something and then needing to do something else, which requires many moves from the drawing to the Ribbon and back. - The Ribbon - You use the Pointer a lot but it requires a trip to the Ribbon when you are doing anything else and need the pointer, like text. - It is very expensive, even when subscribed to it in Office 365.

Process Development Tool with layers

Visio has helped me take conversations and brainstorming sessions and demonstrate how they would actually work. So often there is a good intention on trying something new, but it is important to get everyone on the same page. This tool has helped do that. I have also extensively used Visio as a training tool. I will link the diagrams to other portals and tools that we use, so that the workflow document is something of a link aggregator for all the steps involved. This has made the hand-off from training to implementation much easier.

Pros

I like that I can use Visio to easily demonstrate workflows and process improvement ideas. There is a range of understanding for software like Visio. I do not use it to automate at my place of work, but I use it extensively for visual learners when implementing or discussing new processes, procedures, and ideas. Often I have co-workers take these designs and display them for their team as a physical reminder, others are more intuitive and I work with them to develop interactive workflows (with links, actions, etc.)

Cons

There are some elements to how you design that are not intuitive. I usually spend about 15 minutes with users who download the software to demonstrate how they can make their flows and diagrams. The organization chart is particularly more cumbersome than advertised, but even so, I have users who use it for this purpose. Online resources are sparse as well, and I often am troubleshooting when trying new methods.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Similar to the description above. We tested Lucidchart and even have people who still prefer to use it because they are comfortable. But ultimately we found more use-cases for the Visio product.

Reasons for switching to Visio

Functionality with other Office products. We utilize the Office Suite extensively and Visio is a better solution in that regard. It is also easier to train people on an office product, as they are more familiar with it.

Sreekumar

Industry: Information Services

Awesome professional diagrams and flow charts

Pros

As a Business Analyst cum Product Manager in Software Engineering, tremendous amount of documentation including business process diagrams, and flowcharts were part of my role in my previous product organization. Before learning Visio, I have tried many free apps, and capabilities with in word and struggled a lot. While we make enterprise solutions by offering customization in our product suite, it is quite normal to study and analysis complex business processes of every new customer. To make a case - the process to be automated, solution, estimation, and design, diagrams and flowcharts were inevitable. Making diagrams eat a lot of time before Visio. Visio helped us to streamline this particular activity. It is pretty simple to copy an old diagram, make a few modifications and use it in another document. Another advantage in using vision is scope for modifications and less time to edit the diagrams. The beauty of Visio is stencils and drag and drop feature to build diagrams. Also it is awesome to have an excellent repository of shapes. Couple of times, I have used the organization chart feature. The import feature is very much helpful when we have a comprehensive reporting hierarchy. Live data overlay which enables us to visualize live data in the context of a org structure, a business process, or a manufacturing process flow to get the big picture in one glance. Once you master Visio, it is less likely that you switch to any other tool for diagrams and process flows. Provision to collaborate on diagrams simultaneously is a big relief when many users work on a diagram

Cons

It is a fantastic tool and no doubt on its capabilities. However pricing is heavy and the solution is subscribing to online version. If the shapes show some meaning or suggest the purpose, Visio can be a bit more intuitive.

Bed Prakash

December 2021

Best design and drawing tools for all Business

I am using Visio from my college. I use Visio on my every projects and assignments that required design and drawing. My first preference is Visio and if visio unable to complete my requirements then I useAutoCAD.

Pros

Visio is one of the best products design by Microsoft. Specially I am using visio for my electical work like circuit design, floor electical installation model, machine flow analysis etc. I am 200% satisfied and always love to use for similar projects.

Cons

There is no demerites as far I know. It ia simple to use, though some features are not avaialble while comparing with CAD but it is ok in this price. Overall it has limited features but with excellent quality.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Deu to its simple and user friendly interface, I choose Visio.

Reasons for switching to Visio

AutoCAD takes too long to load and takes time to desing. I am using Visio as far as possible and if Visio fails then only I use CAD.

Bradley

April 2022

Visio - Your Business Process Flow Simplified

As I have become accustomed to using this application and learned the great benefits from using it, I would happily recommend this product to people who are able to invest time in learning how to use this app. Just be prepared for the software licensing if purchasing separately.

Pros

Visio is not difficult to administer and utilizes at all. It supports a wide range of graphs as well as graphics. It is well coordinated with other Microsoft items, to be specific office suite. We generally use it for making flow process diagrams that could be linked to our daily operations and core business functions. Free to trial for 30 days as well.

Cons

Unfortunately, every drawing object has its own individual properties and behaviors. It takes a bit of time getting to learn how to use the software effectively at first. The licensing costs are not up to standard as it is separate from the office suite which is purchased.

Reasons for choosing Visio

As Visio had to stand out images and add-on packs, it just made sense to get this product instead.

Marat

Visio review

I started using Visio before Microsoft purchased it so I have quite big experience with this great application. I'm still using it a lot to visualize text information into graphics almost every day.

Pros

In my opinion the Visio is the industry standard and definitely the best tool to build different kinds of drawings (graphs, diagrams, charts, etc). It has many built-in shapes and templates (stencils), lots of options to connect to wide range of data sources. The Visio diagrams are easy to understand for both technical and non-technical audiences.

Cons

Microsoft Visio is not part of Microsoft Office Suite anymore (it must be purchased separately). The Visio license is quite expensive. Microsoft Visio is not available for Apple Mac and Linux platforms. Web (online) version of Visio would be great alternative to standalone application (since it must be cheaper).

Reasons for choosing Visio

Visio is more flexible and easy to use.

Waleed

April 2022

The simplest way to draw the organizational Charts and workflow diagrams and clarify relationships

The most important things that I have benefited from Visio, is the design of the organizational structure and workflow diagrams in a professional manner, in a short time, and most importantly, it has an amazing visual representation. Which helps everyone to understand relationships and responsibilities in a simple way.

Pros

Currently, Visio is the most user-friendly diagramming tool accessible. Visio is perhaps the most effective tool for presenting, explaining, and refining your concepts. Plans, flowcharts, and other visual aids. As a result of its flexibility, Visio also offers a wide range of tools such as freeform filling tools and pick-and-pointer tools, in addition to the ability to modify existing drawings. It's a great tool for visualizing difficult concepts. Many ready-to-use templates are available, including flowcharts, timelines, and floor plans. In addition to being unique, the templates allow you to display a lot of information quickly. Making use of its quick search feature, you may quickly identify necessary data elements while also being able to create visual representations of data relationships through the addition and connection of shapes, text, and images.

Cons

Not big problems, but sometimes I find it difficult to make changes to a large scheme that includes many shapes and lines, and it becomes cumbersome at that time.

Jess

Industry: Oil & Energy

Scientist Viewpoint

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Reasons for switching to Visio

AutoCAD has more capabilities than I really needed and since I was not a design engineer it was overwhelming to work in. Note, I made the transition in 1998 when I was graduate school.

Chirag

Process diagram standardization with Visio

We've diagrammed a significant portion of our company's operations using Visio. This has highlighted, visually, where inefficiencies are. There are several touch-points in each process. Visualizing touch points has helped us think critically where staff's time can be saved through automation and reduce pain points for staff.

Pros

Visio appears to be an industry leader and standard for process diagramming. I love the speed with which we can create process diagrams in Visio. We use Visio web interface, which is less-featured than Professional version, but is very functional for small and medium business. Web version is also easiest for users to see the diagrams and edit them.

Cons

I don't like compatibility issues between Visio web version and Professional desktop version. To work around that, we use web version consistently. Web version's limited feature-set is more tolerable than fixing compatibility issues.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Visio fits our Office ecosystems and day to day workflow. It is integrated with SharePoint features, which makes its governance easy. It is also easy to buy through our existing licensing agreement with Microsoft. Competing products were very good, but we would have to set up separate governance.

The best flowcharting and diagram package out there

I design software interfaces and algorithms within the application and find it so easy to get my ideas down diagrammatically in order to turn them into real applications

Pros

Flexibility - easy to use for a multitude of tasks, from flowcharting to network design, swim lanes to manage teams, and so easy to view on mobile devices too with a plugin to view on the web, and an app to download both on Android and iOS!

Cons

Well, I would love Visio to be added to the Microsoft 365 system and be available as a editable app on iOS and Android, not just a read only application. For a new user it can be quite tricky to get started, but it is very simple to pick up

Reasons for switching to Visio

Lucidchart used to be available to teachers as a special licence, which they changed to limiting to just 50 objects on a form, making complex diagrams impossible without switching licences

Gabriella

Industry: Mining & Metals

Good for demonstrating understanding and reporting

It has a great layout and it's really good for drawing process flows specifically those that are not complex.

Pros

Visio is an academic standard and I started actively using it during my undergraduate studies. I have used it to draw Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for metallurgical plants both in school and a bit at work. It’s really good for demonstrating understanding and reporting. Visio’s grid layout and the user interface are easy to use, they make it easy to maneuver between plant work and theory. I have been able to use Visio to document and draw out my observations from the plant which enabled me to draw theoretical conclusions. This process is quite helpful in getting to know and understand a new site; solve problems & identifying room for process improvement; and Visio has instrumental in me doing this. At first, I was unhappy realizing that some industry-specific icons and shapes are not found among the standard Visio objects but soon realized that I can add custom objects as a picture which works fine especially for demonstration purposes.

Cons

When drawing a complex PFD connecting objects can become hard. The connector detects all nearby objects, and in a complex diagram, there are several nearby objects. In this instance, I have found it hard to drag the connector to the right object. There are alternative ways such as clicking instead of dragging but this results in a connection that most of the time is placed where you do not want it. Most of the time it's either too far out or too jagged where fixing it is harder than dragging it. It would help if there could be a painless way of adding connectors between objects that are close to each other?

Microsoft Visio

I have been using Visio since 2002. This is the only program which I used consistently almost every day. I develop icons, drawings, flow charts and flyers all in Visio. It is not very restrictive but it is quite loose. I have to make my own templates which may also go wrong. But with experience, once gets better with Visio.

Pros

There are a few strong points in MS Visio. First is its ability to work with vectors. It can easily import SVG graphics, edit their individual lines and then being able to export the SVG again. The export can also be done in PDF. This makes the whole experience of working with graphics like icons so easy. There is no need for programs like Illustrator or Inskscape. Another good feature is that Visio contains thousands of symbols from various categories like electrical engineering, mechanics, etc. That is also useful while building the flow charts and diagrams.

Cons

One annoying part in Visio is combining the lines into a single plan so that it can be filled with a color. When you select all of the connected lines and click Join or Combine ( in Operations), the task is done without an error. But then when you try to fill a pattern or color into that area, it does not work, just because it did not really join the lines. I could never find a way to get this resolved. The only way is to keep trying by reconnecting the line again and again.

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,282 reviews