All Xero Reviews

Karim

11 - 50 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed January 2021

One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations.

Emily

Human Resources, 51-200 employees

Reviewed July 2024

Userfriendly accounting software for small businesses

PROS

It's an easy-to-use software with a clean UI and great automation features. The best part is its data management, which simplifies managing expenses.

CONS

Nothing in particular, but I believe it is kind of overpriced solution.

Anthony

Computer Hardware, 51-200 employees

Xero made accounts quicker

PROS

The full integration with our CRM system allows for less time adding invoice line and amounts

CONS

Not as much customisation as other packages

Reasons for switching to Xero

The integration with our CRM system to speed up invoicing

Ben

Civic & Social Organization, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2024

Regular price increases and failure to engage with users let this product down

I find customer support to be underwhelming. Constantly referred to the product Ideas forum, however, it’s not like any of these have any action taken on them.

PROS

Decent signup discount. On the web, the interface is easy to understand once you know what you’re doing.

CONS

Unpopular product changes (such as including advertising in invoice emails) that occurred without user consultation. When users did complain, our concerns weren’t addressed. There have been multiple price increases, with virtually no new features added as part of these changes. Almost feels like a bait and switch… they get you with cheap pricing and then start changing everything up for existing customers.

Facilities Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Xero Deployment

In general, Xero is good cloud accounting solution which is many times easier to maintain than Sage.

PROS

The speed of setting up the company and linking the bank. The online banking we use is not the easiest however, Xero had this covered.

CONS

You cannot fully delete archived Invoices which can cause conflicts if you import old invoice numbers. We had a clash of new system and old invoice numbers and this caused problems with having to credit. It would have been easier if the invoice number could have just been edited.

Reasons for switching to Xero

The new job management software we deployed connected to Xero via an API.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Most suitable software for small to midsize organizations

I would rate it highest among similar software available in the market.

PROS

We are a large organisation but have acquired multiple other businesses so I got a chance to use Xero the best thing about Xero that other software does not have are: 1 - Can store and upload files by sending an email as well which not all software has. 2 - BAS reports in Australia can be quickly prepared and lodged from Xero to ATO (which saves a lot of time). 3 - Can customize most of the reports and this help support migrations from Xero to other software or vice versa.

CONS

Should expand their customer base to large organisations by allowing Fixed asset registers and more syncretization with third-party plugins or software.

1 employee

Reviewed May 2024

Seems Simple

Fantastic software and I've recommended it to many friends.

PROS

I'm not a figures person, but Xero really does make things simple.

CONS

Could be a bit cheaper, but that said it is a quality product.

Devanshu

Mining & Metals, 51-200 employees

Accounting made Easy!!

Overall the experience to use Xero is swift and smooth. The interface is fantastic with some very good features but pricing of the software needs to be looked upon and make it more pocket friendly.

PROS

Software has nice and interacting user interface with easy to use features. The best part is it allows multiple users to access the account and proves very useful for small businesses.

CONS

The initial cost of purchasing the software is high alongwith maintenance cost which creates hinderance for small businesses.

5,001-10,000 employees

Xero software you love

First, I am having a little difficulties using this product as time goes by like it. Specially, in my task also, I find it as a lifesaver. very remarkable and cheap.

PROS

There’s a lot that I love the most about Xero but one of the best things that I can’t forget about this software is that it is multitasking. It can create a lot of task you need to do. Not just on your work, but also on your small business. Businessman always use this software, because of its uniqueness and its functionalities. I by myself experience it thoroughly.

CONS

One of the thing I like about this software is that sometimes it has a bug but overall there’s no problem about this app you can enjoy a lot of freebies and free trials that it has on your first access to the system.

Perfect for monthly invoicing

PROS

Reoccurring invoices and the simplicity of the program were essential factors to enhance our monthly invoice procedure and Xero delivered. Highly recommend

CONS

One of the things was that when attaching things you need to be extra sure you add them to the invoice so the client will see them.

Consumer Goods, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Super Simple Accounting Software for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

As a small business our main priority is to keep our monthly book keeping tasks simple and quick. Since moving to Xero from MYOB we have found a significant reduction in our book keeping time input. We are NOT accountants or book keeping experts and Xero as an accounting system has definitely made this part of our business much more efficient. We are guided by our accountant as how best to use the software and have been able to develop a simple client - accountant relationship with Xero being the main conduit of information between us.

PROS

As a small business we found Xero to be a simple and very cost effective solution for all our accounting - book keeping needs. Xero is very easy to set up with your accountant and reduces the time you need to spend on book keeping tasks each month. With automatic bank feeds the time we need to reconcile our accounts each month is minimal. The audit trail features mean any issues that arise can be quickly found and fixed. Being able to notate any transactions enables our accountant to quickly respond to our queries. As a small business keeping our external accountant costs down is very important to us and by using Xero means the time our accountant has to actually spend on our accounts is less and therefore so are the invoices we receive from him!

CONS

Some of the automatic accounts Xero suggests you reconcile to are not correct so it is important to double check each transaction before reconciling. We had issues setting up some of the automatic bank feeds and still have one bank account that will not process the feeds so we need to enter those transactions manually. When uploading a file of transactions we also had some issues and found it quicker just to manually enter them into the software.

Reason for choosing Xero

N/a. We were using MYOB and on our accountants advice we made the switch to Xero.

Reasons for switching to Xero

We found MYOB to be very time intensive on our part. As non booking experts our accountant recommended we make the switch and set up automatic bank feeds which we did. It has improved out book keeping efficiency tremendously. It has also saved us money in software costs and we don't need to be constantly ringing our accountant for help in reconciling transactions.

Craig

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2020

I can't wait for it to be finished!

It's a lot of money to get setup with a certified consultant. Very few consultants available in Canada. When we did find one she was great but she bills you for every second she works. As in not any free advice. My lawyer is easier to work with.

PROS

As a former quickbooks user of about 20 years, it was a big deal to switch platforms. At first glance it looked like it would do everything we wanted. I loved the price point, the interface and relative ease of use. The multi currency was great as was the ability to integrate with Stripe. You make a lot of compromises to save on the huge monthly cost of quickbooks but there are workarounds.

CONS

There are so many things that are just common/must have's for any business. Things like progressive billing, job costing and even the ability to make your own journal entries are missing. We had to hire a consultant and spend around $800 just to get it to add purchases easier to the mix with HubDoc. You see job costing catagories at the invoice level but not software or 3rd party app to back it up. The single most annoying thing about it is the support. It's non existent. You complain, They tell you its not a problem and ignore your requests. I struggle daily with the search function. I can't get about 50% of my searches to work. The clients I'm looking for are entered. I'm typing them in fine but you often have to visit contacts menu and find them manually by quote number or just never ending scrolling. Upon complaining numerous times the best they can do is say "it might take up to two weeks for your contacts to sync. " Xero: It's 2020 and the dark ages of cloud software have passed. You need to fix the search function and add job costing to be considered a contender. So here we are in 2020, manually adding each of our sales to a spreadsheet and adding the subsequent bills to it to see if we made $. They make it incredibly hard to contact support and they are quite unresponsive when they do reply to your ticket. They try really hard to push you to support forums, where there are literally hundreds of complaints on the same issue with the ability to comment closed.

Reason for choosing Xero

It had multi currency and the ability to API with Stripe. As an ecommerce firm selling in CDA and USA this is a hard thing to locate in the existing pool of apps.

Reasons for switching to Xero

The pricing was ridiculous for a 3 person firm. Support was moved to India and was completely useless.

Sibylle

Financial Services, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2020

My investment in Xero didn't work out

I became Xero certified in 2016, I was very enthusiastic about the product at the time, and thought I would be building a practice using it. Unfortunately, the more I used it, the less well it worked for me, due to the reasons given above and more. I also find the Xero portal for practitioners unnecessarily complex and difficult to navigate. The company was always also assigning new account managers to me. I think I've met four or five in total. Xero frequently asked me for feedback and I provided it several times, especially about my discontent with their reconciliation process, which I consider inadequate to my needs as a professional bookkeeper, and which I had seen cause significant problems for business owners trying to maintain their own file. Though I repeated this feedback over the course of several years, it hasn't changed. I realize I'm just one customer, and I don't know if others feel the same way or not. Anyway, in the end, I didn't want to work with this issue anymore.

PROS

Transaction processing in the bank feed is, as they claim, very well set up. At the time I started using Xero, the company also seemed to provide some needed competition and an alternative to intuit in the small business accounting software space.

CONS

The other accounting software apps I use are QBO and Wave. Both, IMO, are better than Xero. Back to the bank feed -- Xero is unable to connect with a number of banks. In addition, the bank feed sometimes drops out transactions with no notice to the file owner or bookkeeper. Thanks to the lack of a reconciliation process tied to hard numbers, inaccuracies can pile up in the registers as a result. In addition, overall access to data in the registers is more awkward to accomplish than in either QBO or Wave. Editing transactions is significantly more complex than in QBO. The system of comparison between the "bank statement lines" and the account register was confusing at times. And there are odd glitches in the reporting (cannot recall all the details now, I only have one client left using this app) that I had to watch out for. Xero is a product that has some really amazing capabilities mixed in with real weaknesses.

See above.

Reasons for switching to Xero

At the time, Xero looked better. Over time, QBO caught up and now surpasses Xero in quality, IMO.

Quratulain

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Best in Multi-currency accounting for SMB

Xero was the best choice back in 2015 (when no one gave multi-currency) and still is in 2021 (when there are some who do). I have now added another company to Xero and cannot imagine shifting to another platform....ever.

PROS

With most clients abroads, we find its best to bill them in their local currency. Luckily for us, Xero is there to help sort our books out and keep them in order. It integrates with many bank feeds & popular wallets/fintechs like PayPal, Payoneer & TransferWise so accounts are upto date - always. Another feature we really use is their tracking fields. Xero allows users to setup 2 tracking fields that can be added to invoices, expenses, bills and assigned to each line. This helps us keep track of project based work and has been our way since before Xero ventured into Project based accounting (that users need to pay additional fee for) It also integrates with online payment gateways such as PayPal, Stripe, GoCardless, and a few others; thus payments are a breeze for clients. As a non-accountant, Xero is easy to use even when you get into all the features it provides.

CONS

They have made some changes to their UI esp where invoices and expenses are concerned. Luckily for older users, expenses are still free however, for new users it isnt and each person filing expenses on it needs to pay a small fee. I think it should be free for a small number of users (atleast 2) and then charged.

Reason for choosing Xero

There was no multi-currency in Quickbooks available. Bank feeds were also not there for some of the banks I wanted. For a similar price point Xero offered better features and a product that was easier to use for a non-accountant.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Freshbooks didnt give Multi-currency and it was causing problems with reporting

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Xero is the One

I am very satisfied to be building my practice on Xero. They have a good product with a good company behind it. They seem to really care about their advisors and see them as key to their business model. They have a great community and great support.

PROS

What I like most about Xero is its open-platform ethos. It's not one particular feature, it's the whole way that Xero approaches what it does, and it shows up all over the product. One small example is how easy it is to manually import bank transactions via CSV file, and then how easy it is to undo that import if it went wrong. It's less about features (although Cash Coding and Find & Recode are brilliant) and more about design choices.

CONS

I want them to hurry up and integrate Hubdoc into Xero itself. And when that happens, I want there to be a way to generate a report that shows which GL transactions don't have a source document.

Reason for choosing Xero

In the end, I decided that the ability to integrate apps was going to be determinative over the long term. Xero and QBO are way out in front when it comes to integration and I expect that as the market matures, they will end up with a Coke-and-Pepsi-level of market dominance. They may already be there. Early on, I tried to get someone to sell me Accounting Power and/or Sage 50, but neither company seemed organized enough to close the sale. I was looking for a software partner that I could build my practice on and Xero were the ones who showed me they wanted to be that and had a plan to make it happen.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Quickbooks treats their ProAdvisors the way Scar treats the hyenas in the Lion King. For Quickbooks, the advisor community will always be a means to an end. Their products are built for consumers, not professionals, and I expect they always will be.

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed February 2022

Powerful Accounting Software that Enables Anyone to Effectively Manage Their Accounts

Overall, Xero was a truly powerful software that took the dread of dealing with accounting and reconciliation and made it rather straightforward. The accounting process can effectively be handled by any person, which is rather refreshing. As an attorney, I'm not an accountant. So having something else to learn and utilize while already extremely busy would be a major inconvenience. However, Xero took what would have been a terrible experience and made it manageable.

PROS

Xero is a pretty straightforward product that is effectively almost immediately deployable. Xero's dashboard is not bulky or overwhelming like a significant number of other accounting software tends to be. Xero's help manuals and tutorials were also very useful and are great for helping users quickly refamiliarize themselves with the software. Xero worked well for my law firm for IOLTA (Lawyer Trust Account) reconciliation purposes. With the software linked to your desired account, you can easily reconcile all incoming and outgoing payments and expenses on a given account. Once set up, you literally can log in right after making a purchase to reconcile your accounts without having to fumble through old receipts later to try to remember specific actions that were taken on behalf of a client.

CONS

The only con that I personally experienced with Xero was that I routinely was required to relink and subsequently "resync" my banking account with Xero. Admittedly, this may have been a banking issue and not necessarily a Xero issue. However, when the relinking had to happen, this created a significant amount of issues because I was forced to relink the account, reimport expenses and incoming sums and then ensure that all the amounts had actually synced appropriately from my physical bank account to the Xero software.

Reason for choosing Xero

The price of Xero and the ability to effectively use the software almost immediately made the decision to choose Xero a straightforward one.

Reasons for switching to Xero

We switched from Quickbooks because the software felt really cumbersome and was not very user friendly to someone that isn't an accounting professional.

Elena

Entertainment, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Xero has helped us transform and streamline our processes

Xero has streamlined our operations, and simplified our record keeping, and notification of when bills are due for payment or invoices due for collection. The dashboard is fantastic for an overall picture. The reporting tools are excellent, and the ease of use is so logical and straightforward, that it's simple l to self-teach even for a beginner. On top of that when you have any questions the how-to guides are thorough in themselves, and support is excellent and very quick to come back to you with an in depth answer.

PROS

The ease of use is fantastic, and a beginner is able to self-teach quite easily with the fantastic guides and webinars that are available from Xero. The support is also exceptional and I have always had my queries answered in great detail and very quickly.

CONS

My main issue was that I would like to be able to create different delivery addresses on invoices that have one invoice address but different delivery locations, as it's important to specify. To workaround we write it in the body of the invoice, however with previous systems we have been able to enter multiple delivery addresses, for one invoice address and select the required one each time.

Reason for choosing Xero

We watched several comparison videos but it was the ease of use that sold us. I had used Sage and Zoho books in the past and knew that I didn't want to use either of them again, and I was so pleased that we chose Xero as has been fantastic for us.

Faisal Shafi