• icon"Customer support is great. I like that the free version has an hour meter, but isn't limiting in any other way."
  • icon"The pricing is very much fair and you can share the workspaces with team members as well as external clients and members."
  • icon"It helps large groups and teams, the platform is easy to use."
  • icon"One thing that I dislike is that you have to pay for a subscription to have access to premium support."

All Codenvy Reviews

Kyle

Hands down best Cloud IDE

When I moved over to a Chromebook a few years ago I was sifting through all the cloud IDE options and Codenvy really stuck out as the best option from the start. Through the years they have kept to their word and keep making the service better and better. The latest version is just a complete "wow!" from seeing how much the platform has grown. Yes, it's practically a platform since it has so many great features baked in besides being a higly performant IDE; Git (GitHub / Bitbucket), Docker, Bower, Google App Engine (GAE), multiple languages, starter templates, "local" datasources, etc.! The portability of it makes it a simple choice as well since there's nothing to install and works great on every platform I've needed access to my projects (Windows, Mac OSX, ChromeOS, Linux).

Pros

Portability to be able to access projects on any OS with nothing to install. Just open up a browser tab and start coding. The flexibility to write virtually anything from native Android apps to web apps that run on most PaaS. The ease of the wizard to start a new project is unmatched.

Cons

Certain Git commands don't fully execute correctly all the time (such as deletes) since the update to v3.x. Offline ability and a mobile/tablet app would really put this over the top. True FTP integration (it has it through a 3rd party currently) would also be great to make it the only cloud IDE I need.

Response from Codenvy

Thank you for the review, if you come across any Git issues please let us know by posting information on the problem to our Google Group (https://groups.google.com/a/codenvy.com/forum/#!forum/codenvy) our Git integration is very important to us and we want to make sure it's flawless. Regards, Brad

Marc

Cool Stuff...first Impressions

Just stumbled across code envy recently while looking at other cloud dev alternatives. The whole process for signing up for a free tier account (512 MB) and getting something up and running couldn't have taken more than 10 or 15 minutes. As a new user, I am still playing around with it a bit but it has some great possibilities for running multiple dev environments without having to get all the pre reqs installed and configured on my own machine.

Pros

From my perspective there are a number of things that I like: - Easy of setup - Pretty nice code editor - Anywhere access - Ability to have multiple environments - Multiple language support - Git support

Cons

Since I am new to Docker, I would love to be able to get my hands into some advanced config options. Additional web development language support (other than PHP) would be nice to see.

Response from Codenvy

Thank you for the review - we are in the process of revamping how custom environments are handled and over the coming months you will see changes to make these even simpler to manage. For the web development language support we currently support many different languages including Javascript, Python and others. You can see a full list by creating a new project and scrolling down the list to the "samples" area. If there are still issues please contact us on our forum: https://codenvy.com/technical-support Thanks, Brad

Justin

March 2015

Excellent service, but a few issues I hope will be ironed out

I have been very impressed with Codenvy's service so far. The big thing I was looking for was a service that could be used from multiple computers without having the set up an environment on each. This service easily meets that, and has support for a lot of languages. In terms of languages, I wanted a service with support for Java projects with Maven, and this seems to have support for that, among many other languages as well. The ease of use of the editor is important to me as well. Things like automatically adding closing brackets, tabbing when appropriate when I add a new line, etc. It has been a very pleasant experience in this area and I've been very pleased. There are still many editing features I have yet to explore, and I look forward to learning what all it has to offer. The only area I've noticed it lacks, is it sometimes adds closing brackets or tags when they already exist, if you rewrote the beginning tag for some reason - however even in advanced editors that can be an issue. My issue is it seems to not allow you to reorganize files without any long workaround methods. I would prefer to be able to drag and drop files in the tree view - it seems a basic feature in my day to day computer use, and it seems odd that I can't do it here. Perhaps there is another way to move files that I'm not aware of. So far I've only been able to create a new file, copy contents, and delete the old, or download then upload where desired. While they work, they are certainly not ideal methods. If this were possible, I could honestly see myself paying for the service in the near future - it's well worth it. Personally, I just graduated with a BS in Computer Science and have just begun working as a software developer in a large software company. I was really looking for something to play with some personal projects outside of my work hours.

Pros

It's free! Cloud access from any computer Easy to use editor Editor contains many advanced features Supports many languages

Cons

Unable to drag and drop files in the tree view (not sure if there is another way to move files - if so, I've yet to find it - however there are workarounds, such as creating a new file and copying contents, just not ideal)

Response from Codenvy

Thanks very much for using Codenvy and for your detailed review - the drag-and-drop is something that is in our backlog and that we will be attacking this year.

Tim

Next step in development

This is a great product that is almost there. We have started using it for little open source products. Its pretty easy to have one dev setup the project, and the others just clone the codenvy project. We are up and running in no time. I love that it is using Docker, and that you can provide your own docker run scripts.

Pros

* Fast from 0 to up and running * Nice angular'ish interface that is quite responsive * Works on mobile enough to run your app * Integrates pretty well with GitHub * Many different types of projects supported (java, go, etc...) * Tech Support is great. I had 2 tickets answered w/in 24 hours. * Works well * Autocomplete is decent

Cons

* Sometimes you get into a weird state with old sessions * No code search that I found, but I think they are working on this feature * 10 minute timeout can be annoying but sometimes its nice. Setting? * I wish i could just sign up for the $1/month service w/o contacting sales

Response from Codenvy

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review. We can confirm that we are working on a number of improvements to the product (we release >3x per month). We are also going to be changing our purchasing model so that it's completely automated and doesn't require speaking to Sales - this should be coming in several weeks. Thanks for being a customer! Brad

Timothy

March 2015

Great light weight option for cloud IDE, building, and live testing

Starting to play with it at work and am now using it for some of my small/medium projects. It's very easy to load code in and start going right away. I am using it to deploy java webapps to a tomcat container. Codenvy allows you to actually deploy a tomcat instance in a docker container for free. Setup takes about 10 minutes, and after that you're ready to go. The docker instance only lives for about 10 minutes. I've found this to be sufficient when testing features. The cloud IDE is really fast for what it is, but possibly isn't quite as snappy as a high-end development machine. I tried using it with a giant work project, and wasn't able to make it work.

Pros

Quick supports multiple languages supports quick on line testing easy to use

Cons

docker instance only live 10 minutes for free version Giant projects don't quite work.

Response from Codenvy

Thank you very much for your thorough review - we would love an opportunity to work with you on getting your work project running in Codenvy - please post some details on our Google Group: https://groups.google.com/a/codenvy.com/forum/#!forum/codenvy We will be moving to a new pricing model that will remove the 10 minute running timeout for free projects in April 2015. Thanks, Brad

June 2015

Pretty decent

This is written from the perspective of a PHP developer. I signed up for Codenvy because I was testing out multiple cloud-based IDEs for features that I like. Chief among them was support for docblock annotations that allowed ctrl+click into methods. While this feature wasn't present here, it wasn't surprising because it's not present in any other cloud IDE either. What I liked about Codenvy is that it was super easy to create an account and get going with their free plan. The plan itself offers a lot for no investment, and the software is easy to use. You can get a blank project up and running in minutes. For a knockaround dev system, the pay-as-you-go pricing is super reasonable. Before I discuss what I didn't like, I'd like to mention up-front that they do tell you the software is new and that you may run into quirks. I have no doubt that codenvy will be a really great IDE in the future, but right now it just didn't suit my purposes. PHP syntax highlighting seems to be missing. All the text was yellow. I'm not sure if there are some config options I couldn't find to fix this, but it seems like it should be an out-of-the-box feature if they offer support for PHP. There wasn't support for remote projects, at least not on the free version. I couldn't find any info that suggested remote support in paid versions either. There's no built-in shell interface like other IDEs seem to have. The CLI requires java, which isn't something that was possible for me since my main dev machine is a Chromebook. That was the biggest dealbreaker for me. Ultimately, it's a pretty decent IDE if you have low requirements. I like the product, and I plan on checking back in with it over the next few months to see if they've made any progress.

Pros

Easy to use Low entry barrier Fair pricing Free plan Decent documentation

Cons

No PHP syntax highlighting No support for remote projects No built-in shell CLI requires Java

Mariano

Useful but can be frustrating

Helps me get started on a project without having to do too much prior preparation . And is also one of the better platforms for collaborating .

Pros

Data loads fast . After you learn the ropes, it is easy to navigate .You can run codes either from console or terminal ,giving you the option to try out different things . The saved data is on a cloud and is automatically backed up ,nothing gets lost .

Cons

The sessions are timed out too quickly .I often work on several things at the same time and switch between programs often . Having to constantly log in again is what makes me reluctant to use Codenvy more often .

Kaustubh

May 2015

Must know tool for every programmer

My first lookout for software was to find a environment for my students which I can refere to them for coding without the hassle of configuration. I came across codenvy for the reason and got hooked with features. There is rarely anything that you cannot code using Codenvy; only con for me is the Android Tablet App which has caused be give a star less.

Pros

Full fledge IDE in a browser! Debugging available Can develop android apps in browser Git included Already is compatible with docker to give custom stack or import present working stack as is Also has a on Premise Option Direct deployment to Google App Engine(Huge Pro for me)

Cons

Earlier it had a con which was preparing workspace literally took minutes but with new update I find it has overcomed it. Another con is I have been waiting from a long time for codenvy to roll out a android app compatible with tablets atleast. I might be wrong with this another con but I didnt find core Java coding libraries

Roman

March 2015

Configure once, use everywhere.

Codenvy is a fantastic application, where you can create a skeleton and configure workspace for most common/modern projects using browser, and user it everywhere. I'm using it for my private projects and it's perfect solution if you are using multiple computers. All you need to do is to open a browser and that's it.

Pros

-) Possibility of leaving a running application with external access is a great feature. You can pass through the URL with your work to get some feedback from the team. -) Utilization of docker is really powerful - flexibility -) Really easy to set up

Cons

-) lack of possibility to configure custom short cuts. I heavily use eclipse and have my own keys combination that really speeds up my work. It would be a great feature in codenvy to see such an option. -) you really need to by some more RAM if you consider codenvy for multiple projects, for personal use it might be enough

Shaun

Impressive cloud based IDE

I got hold of a Chromebook to try out the OS and to see if I could make use of it as a light laptop alternative for studying, refreshing my development skills and blogging. I thought I'd struggle to find an IDE I could use that would be even close to usable and I couldn't have been more wrong! CodeEnvy is really impressive, it has every project type I think I'll ever need and seems to work without a hitch. I can always go back to where I left it and with Git support I know I have my code and can track changes easily. Chromebook is a real option for a cheap development environment.. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Pros

Free option, huge support for development frameworks and languages, simple to set up and use.

Cons

Haven't found any yet.

Ivaylo

You can use from end to end

Pros

You don't need to bother with downloading a client and can work entirely online on their web platform .Alongside the coding ,Codenvy also lets you run tests on it and quickly take care of debugging issues ,if they arise .

Cons

I find the interface to be unnecessarily complicated ,it makes most kind of maneuvering harder than it should be .

Yashi

April 2015

Great Online IDE so far..

I just give a try to create a rails app with this IDE. and it was a great experience, and the IDE itself, feel like I'm working on a native desktop environment application. I'm very happy to work with this system, also it help me to carrying coding workplace and the code wherever I go, because I use PC for my home computer and another PC for the office, so I need to sync up with my workspace, settings ..etc, thanks for the great product.

Pros

The app feels more native.. and it's more familiar with the desktop IDE programme. easy to use, and great built-in tool for the quick task.

Cons

I think the app need more performance improvements. Especially when loading the project workspace.

Nanduni

February 2016

Brilliant Online IDE: Varied features, ease of coding, better user experience and Docker support.

I was very surprised to experience a browser based developer environment with Codenvy. This was perfectly the same idea that I had in my mind several months ago : a browser based developer environment. I was really wondering how my idea has already got into work. I found about this IDE when I was looking for some means to deploy a server in Cloud Foundry. I found it more interesting as it is a cloud based IDE that support rest services. The runner allows the web app to run directly from Codenvy. I am researcher on Docker and Kubernetes stuff. I love the feature of Codenvy to use Tomact servers, Apache servers using Dockerfiles. I used Cloud Foundry runner with Codenvy and it is very interesting. Using Codenvy is very with its plugin for Eclipse. But I love to work in Codenvy workspace. It gives me all the comfort that I expect from an IDE environment. Moreover, the dashboard is well organized, uncluttered and very elegant looking. I like the way how project starts giving details on preparing workspaces, setting up configurations and runners and so on. Coding is easy with Codenvy. It has more comfort than a normal Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA provides. Create new project window is well organized to select different options for projects. It also provides sample HELLO WORLD projects for various project options so that even a novice developer can start coding with Codenvy. The Dockerfile shown in the configs tab enables us to learn Docker as well. I love all these features. I suppose that Codenvy supports any browser and it can be used with different cloud environments. I used Codenvy to create Maven projects, servlets using Google App Engine Java, Go projects and many more. I feel very comfortable with Codenvy. Codenvy debug features are very useful, even to debug other's code. And its integration with git is very interesting. I can easily pull and push my code. I gain a perfect user experience from the well organized user interfaces, auto complete coding features, error suggestions features and so on. No wonder I can run my code from any machine from the place where I stopped coding. I feel that my code is portable. Codenvy, you are really wonderfu! I hope that it will enhance more features in the future for cloud developers. I prefer if it can use some more shortcut features like 'find and replace' etc. I love using Codenvy as it is a SaaS that provides perfect user experience and it meets all the developer expectations.

Neyda Jose

A good tool developers

Codenvy is a very useful tool to carry out different projects because because it allows you to add more people to help with coding is much faster the advance of them and this makes business productivity grow.

Pros

I love this tool because it allows you to work as a team and for this you only have to add the people that you want to participate in these projects, regardless of whether the projects are small or large, its interface is very easy to use because it is highly intuitive , organized and simple, also allows the user to choose who IDE wants to take their work with their own or is a matter of taste of the user, also has the most used programming languages ​​so it is not You will have a problem because you do not find the language you want to code and the best thing is that your access is very simple because you only need a good internet network and the desire to work.

Cons

Because it is hosted in the cloud it may take a while to load the projects or the progress that takes them but maybe it is due to the internet connection, besides that for someone who does not have good knowledge of codes it will take time adapt to its interface and features.

Codenvy: A great choice for coding in the Cloud

I am a heavy user of the Cloud 9 IDE and a big fan of the complete cloud based coding environment. So, I was very excited to give Codenvy a whirl. I must say that I was not disappointed. I'm always wary of products that claim to be developer tools that do not do a good job catering to the developer community. Right off the bat, Codenvy does a great job at that. Their free offering is at par with Cloud 9. They do not give clear specifics on upgrading their services, which I find a bit off putting. The starting 512mb of ram that they give is not adequate for much beyond a bit of prototyping. To really work on a full scale app requires allocation of more resources. I'd rather not have to speak to someone in sales just to upgrade my workspace to a high tier. One thing that I am excited about is how they offer a paid version offsite. Cloud 9 is also based on an OpenSource project and so you can easily run the C9 engine on your own servers, but you lose a lot of the features that they have coded into their product offering....the fact that I can run an Open Source version as well as pay to run the full version in my own environment is a nice feature. Pricing out of the way, lets get down to the fun stuff! The ide is well thought out. i enjoy the Che engine. It certainly has a good feel to it. It's a bit light on features at the moment, but that is not a bad things. It has what it needs and it can obviously grow as needed. The Docker environment is something that I love! Here, Codenvy shows that it has a good handle on the environment. I was able to run php applications with ease. Bottom line, I do not feel that this is a mature a platform as C9...but that is a fault that is easily cured with time. But they do have a great product, and certainly with the ability to code and use eclipse plugins, makes this a GREAT choice for an Eclipse shop.

Dinesh

A Feature Rich Cloud based Development Environment !

Pros

1. It is cloud based development environment and hence can be accessed anywhere on any device 2. The interface is clean and hence it is easy to learn about the tools and just getting hang of the IDE. 3. It is ideal for a web developer like me who has to work in team since it allows easy code sharing and collaborative features to allow other developers to edit and compile code on their machines. 4. It has support for all the latest technologies such as nodejs , reactjs etc.

Cons

The only downside is that it is simply a cloud based interface to a development environment so it needs internet and can be heavy in data usage depending upon what you are doing.

Joseph

It is just an amazing environment to code, debug and improve the effectiveness.

Pros

The application provides a very easy platform for developers like us to create and edit source codes and create automatic codes. You get remote spaces as per your requirements, you can take your coding environment technically anywhere! The application is easy to use and the plugins enable to work efficiently. They have provided an ample number of tutorials to use codes, both automatic and source and the best part I love about this application is its customer service. The customer service is very quick and responsive, and it supports large groups. It has a plethora of advanced features for sharing, organizing files and it supports a lot of languages. The pricing is very much fair and you can share the workspaces with team members as well as external clients and members.

Cons

It doesn't support local storage and I feel they could improve the security features. The absence of keyword shortcuts is a huge pitfall. Data clutter is another turn off while I use this application.

Harsh

Codenvy Review!

Pros

I would say it is one of the easiest cloud IDEs to setup. It gives on demand real-time collaborative IDEs and it's quicker than Cloud9 in this department. A while ago, it was just the code you could access wherever you are. But now with Codenvy, even the environment is not required. You open the browser, you login and bam! You're good to go. It's has really taken programming to a new era.

Cons

The overhead of the page loading is a bit slow. But again, it has all these options to be taken care of. But I would really appreciate it if the loading speed was a bit faster.

Justin Evan

Industry: Program Development

The future of programming

I started using Codenvy, for only a week ago. But I feel like I have been using it for a very long time. I don't even have any difficulties in using it. It has a lot of projects to offer but the simplicity is awesome. I feel at home in codenvy, because it looks like my favorite editors and IDEs (Sublime, PHPStorm, and Brackets). Besides, it behaves like linux os so I no longer need to dual boot my laptop. And when it comes to configuration, I no longer need to wory about the configurations needed when I use windows or ubuntu. Another thing I love about Codenvy is that deployment is easier, and my data are safe and backed up in the internet. I don't need to worry about it being accidentally lost when my laptop crashes or worse, if my hard disk suddenly gets corrupted. Codenvy is the best. And I and my friends will be using it in our upcoming projects.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Huge support for the latest languages and frameworks. User friendly. Good for both students and professional programmers/developers. Less hard disc space is required by codenvy. No other apps required, only a working browser. Fast and intelligent development environment.

Cons

I think the thing I can't use in codenvy are my keyboard shortcuts. The ones I usually use in Sublime and Netbeans.

Response from Codenvy

Thank you for the thorough review - you can use Sublime, vi and emacs key binding by going to Window > Preferences in the menu. You should see on the right a drop-down which allows you to change the key bindings.

Varun

Highly compatible with the current technologies

It can be a great tool for implementing projects with different tech stack, large teams and large base code.

Pros

It provides remote work spaces on demand. It provides really stable infrastructure and compatible with the latest technologies in both web back end and front end, Java and Javascript's NodeJS. It help me take my coding work spaces to anywhere on the globe and still be able to work

Cons

Due to the utility of the IDE it can feel a bit cluttered on a small screen. Sometimes it can load slowly, it needs more tutorials and guides to use it. It can be hard to start with, configuration settings and features can be messed up sometimes.

Just the what I needed!

For a person looking for jobs or to majestic the next big move, this is just a perfect software that comes with no difficulty or training phase.

Pros

Wanted a quick platform to practice my coding skills for a job interview and just wow, what an easy interface to use. Easy compiling or even cross-compiling of code and really fast!

Cons

There is no way to change the compiler versions, at least for C. Some of the libraries I tend to use are old ones not supported by the latest compilers.

Darius

April 2015

brief overview

Hello, I must admit I haven't been using codenvy for a long time - I'm just a newjoiner so far. However I love the idea of cloud IDE! And I love the design! dark, easy on eyes, contrast is great and all the colors are visible very well eventhough everything is dark. Also I haven't run into a cloud IDE that has a running X server - that's something new (for me at least). However there still are a few things I'd like to be changed... First of all - logging in to the system. Username and password are passed via GET [or a very poorly secured POST] and both are visible in addressbar once the LogIn button is clicked. What is that??? Comon guys, it's just not right. What's the point of masking password in TextField if it can be seen in address bar? Also It's very annoying that virtual machine powers off after several minutes. If I'm writing an application I need to relaunch my code quite often and these poweroffs are really frustrating. Apart from that the IDE looks really smooth even on my 10'' notebook - there's enough space to see everything. Also I love that it supports multiple languages and even databases. It's really nice to have everything in one place.

Response from Codenvy

First of all, thank you for using Codenvy. We are going to be addressing the short timeout for runners in our 3.9 release due in late April. On the password concern could you please email me an example screenshot of this as I am unable to reproduce what you're seeing and we take security very seriously. You can reach me at bmicklea@codenvy.com.

Replied April 2015

Nilesh

One of the best online developer environment

Pros

The fact that I am able to create my own programming language platforms and utilize them is great. especially for being a recent college graduate who taking the time to learn and test out different programming languages. It helps that you are able to use this without actually having to download software onto your PC.

Cons

I couldn't find online quick start guide and I had to figure it out how to setup and run the project. It lags sometimes.

Ryan

August 2015

Solid cloud IDE

I've used multiple cloud IDE platforms hoping to find one that stands out. Among the top I've used are Nitrous.io, Cloud9, Codeanywhere, and Codenvy. Each of these feel very similar, but differ slightly in some of the features and options available. Here's my run down of some of the pros and cons of Codenvy: Pros: - Generous FREE account allowing unlimited projects, workspaces and containers with modest memory - Git and subversion one-click menu options are a nice touch that the other IDEs don't offer - Seems to be slightly more responsive and quicker in the creation and loading of workspace environments - great integration with Docker containers and deployment options Cons: - The UI could benefit from a more user-friendly design and layout option. Currently it feels sort of cluttered and hard to navigate as may of the components are very narrow or crunched together. - Would like to see some ability to change the IDE theme - Still don't see FTP support - Database connections must be external (some other providers offer hosted DBs in the workspace) - Would like to have more text/code editor features and functions built into the IDE - Uncertain Postgres support Overall I think it's a great IDE and I see some indication that some of these caveats will be addressed down the road (It appears they already have a theme option built in but not active). Postgres support also seems to be a work in progress. Would recommend along with Cloud9 and Nitrous as the top providers.

Kartheek

Gives you the chance to do everything at the same place

Pros

Really fast to run .There is a free version you can use . Can connect and run any type of code . The debugging is at an advanced level .

Cons

Codenvy is hard to master , the UI is especially hard to work with when you are starting out .