All Notepad++ Reviews

They're constantly updating!

Fazal Rahman

Program Development, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed April 2023

Coding was never been easy

Its very easy IDE to use for my eyes even if i am using it at night or daylight. Its easy with update functionalities for back-end and front-end users. It includes the most classes pre-defined which will be limited in other same products or need to be imported. Sometimes i don’t have internet connections so i would not be stuck for any class or library.

PROS

I like the backup and recover first to save my progress, the IDE is a home platform where you work i like the environment however i want i can change it the theme colors, fonts, size. And specially the classes to import while coding i may not have internet connection but notepad++ helps us to overcome this segment in most cases. in back-end or front-end development.

CONS

Uhm overall i liked the platform compare to other platforms i used before its not limited and is a complete comprehensive IDE and including most libraries and classes for developer, ease of their/our work. So far i don’t see any particular segment to not like or like least about notepad++.

Reason for choosing Notepad++

It helps me work all in oneBack-end Front-endClasses importPre-defined libraries. Supporting most used machine languages….

Reasons for switching to Notepad++

I wanted an IDE to work in all aspects of my development, back-end front-end, coding and design. Some IDE would not allow us to work in machine languages or design html, css, javascript… or lack of classes in some IDEs made me to switch for a better one and affordable one like notepad++.

Collin

The Notepad we always needed

PROS

Notepad++ is as the name sugests, notepad but better. And we really like it, it makes editing some configuration file easy and fast. The Macros make the most tedious task easy.

CONS

The Theming could be better, and the overall ui feels dated.

Adam

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed October 2023

Very good, helpful product. Great replacement for notepad

I love it and use it all the time. Makes work a little easier everyday.

PROS

Very easy to use upgrade over Notepad. Love the tab feature and document saving. Very easy to sort/search for configuration files. Layout is great.

CONS

Have not come across anything I don't like about Notepad++. It's been a great tool

More feature rich.

Nachiket

Management Consulting, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed April 2022

Notepad++ - Most simplified IDE for Corporates

My overall experience with Notepad++ has been really good. It is great for beginner programmers providing simplistic UI-UX for coding. Notepad++ has been a great support for the team considering the fact that we have more than 1 lakh lines of code for every one of our applications, and we can keep open all the files at ease and edit these as and when required in no time without any lag. Notepad++ has proved to be an efficient and fast tool.

PROS

The best thing I like about Notepad++ is its simplicity and speed. As a part of the Product team at ZS, we create mini-code snippets in Python for incremental functionalities which we deem important for incorporation into our pre-existing products. Notepad++ is very simple to use with minimal UI-UX complexities, and one needs to simply select the language and start coding. Also, Notepad++ opens up as many tabs as required simultaneously, and provides the option of two panes to compare codes which are simply great

CONS

Notepad++ has become a bit archaic as compared to other IDEs available in the market like MicroVisual Studio Code and Pycharm (specific to Python). These have capabilities to auto-recommend the parameters required for input in a function (with the datatype required) and also provide direct links to redirect to the function from wherever it is called. These are some features that Notepad++ lacks currently, and can be considered for inclusion.

Computer Games, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2023

One Stop Shop for simple text editing

Once I learned about this, it became my go-to austere text editing program for those times when I just want something simple without being drowned in features. The features are no more than *knee* deep, and they're useful. I use it to edit and write quick JavaScript, php, html, config files, and occasionally C# -- it can parse and color code all of them. I also use it to write random notes to myself. It does have a feature to run some kinds of code, but I've never used it for that, as it's more practical for me to use Visual Studio for my Unity code -- VS has more accurate tab completion suggestions, among other things, and it's more naturally attuned to Unity. Overall, if you're looking for something just a little bit cooler than the bare bones Notepad program and you're a Windows user, this is your tool.

PROS

-Great for quick glances and editing of almost anything -- can handle several dozen types of formatting such as plain text, various kinds of code, xml, or JSON -Can install plugins for some versioning features like Diff -Color codes that conform to your chosen file format -Good for tab junkies and people who use it for random notes -Will remember your sloppily unsaved, unnamed files when reopened...sometimes

CONS

-Jack of all trades, master of none (but that's okay) -Windows only

Reasons for switching to Notepad++

Better text parsing and more formats recognized.

Ajay kumar

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Best source code management tool for Beginners

I am using 1 to 2 Years Notepad++ for from the beginning learning point. Because here you can able to run every task one by one So, you no need to change the new files and it' run in completely web so need space n your laptop.

PROS

Notepad++ very simple to use and easy to authenticate. This code editor completely suitable for beginner. Because here you can able to run very set of code separately. this is very perfect editor for all programming language is specially Python.

CONS

It's not comfortable for expert developer it's only suitable for beginners. Source code management is little bit hard.

Sami

Reviewed January 2024

Text editor to make your work easier

It solved to me many problems at once without installing separate tools for each task.

PROS

It supports most leading programming languages about 50 different programming languages. it is completely customizable and it supports multiple documents open at a time all of that made my work easier.

CONS

Not supported on Linux Or macOS and It is just limited to use on windows systems.

Ragu

Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Best tool for learn python

The Notepad++ is very useful for learn Python it's very comfortable and very easy to use. This tool is more important for me. because is beginner friendly.

PROS

It's very easy to use and very simple to understand the tool. Here I am learn learn Python basic coding it's very useful for me to learn Python programming language.

CONS

I am using Notepad++ for only for learn python, my side opinion no drawbacks have in Notepad++.

Dev

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 employees

Great editor for Windows

It's a great product - and it's open source and free software, so try it out!

PROS

Notepad++ is an excellent open source programmers' text editor for Windows. I have used it for many years and all sorts of different languages and applications. It has great customizability and plugins and UI adjustments available. It does regex searching and replacements.

CONS

Lots of menu options - sometimes takes some digging.

jayasri

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Notepad++

PROS

for code editing it shows the structure of code highlight the keywords we can open a multiple files

CONS

it is not debug the code slow in larger file handling

Reviewed January 2024

One of the best flexible notepads for IT

PROS

Ease of use, ability to open nearly everything, search and marking features.

CONS

None, this product does everything I need it to do.

Rodrigo

Reviewed October 2021

Small, fast and convenient

We normally use visual studio, but it is too heavy for small tasks. The VS code is also too big and confusing for that, as it always tries to deal with project folders. In Notepad++ we can open files individually and edit a script or fix a programming error in a larger project from another tool, check the charset of a file or even write manuals in markdown. It is a Swiss Army knife for most of the auxiliary functions in our routine.

PROS

It is a super notepad, very fast to open, very efficient for handling large files, great for editing scripts or parts of larger programs. I also find it amazing how easy it is with the wizard to define your own programming or markup language. This extends the app to domain languages. It also has localization for several languages.

CONS

I even went looking for something I don't like about it, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps the only thing missing is that it has a Linux version.

Reason for choosing Notepad++

First because when testing it against others, the interface is friendly, some would call it old-fashioned, but it's really cool, easy to adapt and no frills. Other editors we've tested were either expensive, or big, or confusing, or difficult, or trying to emulate the experience of a full IDE, but when you use notepad++ I don't think that's what you have in mind.

Reasons for switching to Notepad++

In this case we needed something that would give us the same speed and ease that we had with VB6. The tasks of correcting a script, cleaning up a CSV data file, or changing an xml became slow and cumbersome in VS and VS Code. So we found notepad++ and found a small, lightweight, very powerful and really useful tool.

Antonio

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Free, easy to use, fast, what else?

It is super positive. It is a product that I must always have installed on my PC. Opening a file, writing a short document, working with JSON and XML, reading source code... every day there is something that I do with this product!!

PROS

The product is easy to use. Just with a couple of clicks you have a solution that can help you in the day by day activities: you can take easily quick notes (potentially without saving, the file will stay there), you can use the tool to open files with specific formats like XML and JSON leveraging additional plugins for formatting in the right way the file. Last but not least, Notepad++ is really fast when opening a file, it is immediate, you do not need to wait.

CONS

It is difficult to find a real limit to the product. As functionalities, it is done more than what promises to do. Obviously, you can't compare the product with other solutions specialized to do specific things, for example, if you need to work with C# code frequently, you may prefer a dedicated and specialized environment. If you need to write a document including for example charts and images, you should use something else.

Reason for choosing Notepad++

For my requirements, just with a single product, I was able to find what I need. That was the main driver of the choice. Obviously, if you need something more specialized, you should evaluate other products. In my case, I saw Notepad++ as a quick win: I have a fast way to open the files that I need.

Mateusz

Consumer Goods, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed June 2022

A software engineer's point of view on Notepad++.

I use Notepad++ in many applications. From a quick look at various files (notepad++ supports lots of them) to quickly developing an application or doing a PoC.

PROS

What I appreciate most about Notepad++ is its ease of use and lightness. The application starts up in a second and runs very fast.

CONS

I miss the more advanced features available in other app development tools. Project Management.

I like the UI better.

Reasons for switching to Notepad++

I use them alternately. Notepad++ for speed and lightness and VS Code for project management.

Gokul

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed September 2019

Notepad++ V7.7.1

I am using this Notepad++ as an developer for past 6 years right from 2013. As an developer and support person in my project I used to have lot of SQL insert commands, BCP IN/OUT and other FTP commands to be typed and generated it as an macro for millions of rows. So this software is used to avoid lot of halles in first place. As well since I am an developer this is used to create formatting loop for SQL procedure, functions and views. As well by erroneously if the notepad closed also the next day when we opends it saves the data in the local and we can get started from the place where we left.

PROS

1. Notepad is very good and easy when we are a developer particularly for .HTML, CSS Designs 2. It is an Good IDE when we are using for SQL. It will clearly shows conditional formatting, loops and other contents as required for avoiding compilation errors. 3. The IDE is free in the market and selling for a least dollar amount by Scooter INC., 4. Automatic spell checker and avoiding grammatical things when typing the words. This feature is called "Autocomplete" which suits to HTML and SQL also. 5. Macros also available which is used for any BCP or Insert commands when writing for SQL server coding (T-SQL). 6. Supports N number of languages right from HTML till Java, ASP and VB also. SO formatting is very easy and done at one place rather than having their IDE's when developer develops multiple tings at one place.

CONS

1. Notepad++ is sometimes slower in nature and getting closed automatically without any error messages though it was light weight in nature. 2. For a developer/programmer this is very good however for tech managers and directors this is not a good tool to dealt with since we have lot of paid one in the market with features in the market for any presentations to be performed. Overall disadvantage or CONS is less so nothing to be presented much apart from this.

Reason for choosing Notepad++

Good for Developer which acts as an IDE for several languages in a single place to use. Example a developer may develop an HTML, JQuery, VB and SQL as an backed. So all formatting can be done at a single place without any hassles.

Reasons for switching to Notepad++

We used Ultraedit in our healthcare company however very least function are available and not good for all development. As well if the UE is closed we cant continue or see the past data which will starts from beginning.

10,000+ employees

Reviewed April 2021

Not a simple Text Editor

This is my preferred tool for daily activities. I use it to compare 2 text files (something really useful), also to take notes (as the primary objective of this tool), to read code (it has support to several coding languages), to read JSON files (by far, my preferred functionality).

PROS

There's a large number of really useful features in this application that can serve many different use purposes. The three major strengths I see in this tool are: - The powerful onboard features (check how many options are there on the default menu bar. The search function is really flexible, with the mark functionality onboard that help us to identify words or even lines to be fully replaced or deleted). Another really nice one is the shift+alt+click functionality to make dynamic selection of texts. Also, special mention to the auto-save feature of multiple files (usually, I keep on more than 30 opened files at same time). - The facility to install and start using it (it is straight forward as any text editor should be) and, the stability combined with low use of system resources (as earlier mentioned, even with +30 opened files simultaneously, performance never drops). - The large variety of available plugins that make it this tool capable to assume many different roles such as a text editor, a JSON file analyzer, a XML analyzer, a code editor, a two-text files comparison tool...

CONS

For some features, we have so many options that it may be confusing for new users. For instance, I keep on forgetting how to mark and delete some lines because despite the mark functionality appears on the search bar, the remove functionality is hidden under search-bookmark option.

Reasons for switching to Notepad++

The number of extra features in Notepad++

Denison

Management Consulting, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Notepad++: Simplified IDE and Enhanced Text editor

Experience with Notepad++ is fantastic. Notepad++ has excellent community support, which solves the query in a simple Google search. Notepad++ has been my machine's default text editor for a long time.

PROS

I have been using this application for over a decade; it has never disappointed me. Most liked about Notepad++ is that it is an open-source application; it will take less than a minute to install, the user interface is straightforward to understand, and you can quickly get used to its options. I use this application to change the text's regular expression and code python programs. The "Extended" option and "Regular Expression" options get the job done in the replace menu. From the Plugins admin panel, you can install, update or remove the plugins; the collection of plugins is vast and very useful. Notepad++ is very customizable. You can create macros for the similar task to be done quickly

CONS

Notepad++ has no cons, from my point of view. There is room for improvement in this application; UI can be improved UI remains the same for a very long time. Notepad++ can extend its support to macOS, also.

Setareh

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed April 2023

Notepad++ is a must-have text editing tool

Overall, Notepad++ is an extremely reliable tool that is perfect for anyone who needs a powerful text editor. Its intuitive interface, extensive feature set, and support for multiple programming languages make it a wonderfl choice among program developers.

PROS

I use Notepad++ everyday at work. I use it mainly for writing programs and codes. Notepad++ is a powerful text editor that I recommed it to whoever spends a significant amount of time on text editing and coding. Notepad++ makes your life easier. It is completely free to download and use. It is also open-source, which means that users can customize and modify the source code as per their specific needs.Furthermore, Notepad++ is a lightweight application that doesn't take up too much space on your computer. One of the standout features of Notepad++ is its robust syntax highlighting, which supports over 50 programming and markup languages. This feature allows me to quickly and easily identify different parts of my code, and therefore making editing and debugging much easier.Another important feature is the ability to use multiple tabs, allowing users to work on multiple files without having to switch between them manually.

CONS

There are no specific cons for Notepad++. The only thing I can mention is that compared to an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), Notepad++ comes with limited features. I do not consider this as a disadvantage, since it is free and naturally it is not developed as an IDE. I enjoy using Notepad++ at work. It totally worth it, I recommend it to everyone who needs a text editing tool.

Praveen Kunigal

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed October 2020

One of the high quality Notepad.

Overall very happy with this app as it provides very features which are very much required for any IT Engineer.

PROS

There are lots of good features in this, would mention a few here: 1. I can open multiple tabs (no limit), it's very easy to navigate to different tabs whenever needed and easy to close/save tabs any single tab. 2. There is an option to change the Language (like SQL, Java, Unix etc) this would helps me a lot in writing code, SQL queries. 3. Macros: This option helps me while doing any repetitive minor tasks. Using this option we can record the task, and hit a Run Macro to repeat the same task N number of times. Which is really a great feature which I didn't find in any other software. 4. It allows me to reload the file, so I don't have to close and open the file to check updated content. We can also make file to update in real time.

CONS

I installed this app in my personal device too, whenever I open this app everytime it asks me to update the application and when I hit the update button it gets stuck and nothing happens. They have to fix this bug, no other complains pertaining to application behaviour.

Reasons for switching to Notepad++

Before using this app I was completely relying on Microsoft Notepad which is very difficult to use I was needed to open a new instance everytime, but here in Notepad++ I need not to open a new instance rather I can open a new tab. And many other features weren't there in Microsoft Notepad, so I had to switch to this app.

Angus