All PagerDuty Reviews

Computer Networking

Used free trial

Reviewed April 2015

From 10,000 emails to one actionable alert: PagerDuty

I started trialling PagerDuty and other alert aggregation services after accidentally sending myself 10,000 emails. One thing PagerDuty does and does well, is cut through the noise, and helps you focus on the actionable issues. With integration with almost every alerting tool out there, including basic email - integrating a PagerDuty alert into your application or service is far too easy. The pricing is reasonable, and the phone and SMS alerting options work well, even in New Zealand. The PagerDuty app itself makes being on call so much easier, with simple acknowledgement and resolution actions, next to escalation and incident collaboration features. Having user controlled customisation, you can setup the alerting to suit your connectivity and support your sleep. After 6 years on call for a critical NZ wide system, I can say PagerDuty is refreshing change to the game. Don't hate the pager...

PROS

Simple setup and easy first alert. Comprehensive incident management, reporting and analytics to focus on what matters. Highly configurable alerting that is controllable by the recipient themselves. Easy escalation, resolution and communication features in mobile application and via the web. Well supported SMS and Phone alerting and incident management - Internationally Quick and easy support for the product - from a great PagerDuty team. Less noise, more actionable alerts with comprehensive de-duplication and alert filtering options.

CONS

PagerDuty is unforgiving of poorly written interfaces generating errors and despite ignoring ones' phone while in meetings, the alert will get to you, no matter what you are doing! While I love the 'PagerDuty' alerting and am amused by the 'Engineer Laughing' alert sound - having more options for custom, per incident, alert notification sounds in the Mobile app would be great.

Pankaj

Online Media, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Great product, helps us a lot

As much as i hate to see a call from pagerduty, i know its doing its job. Its served the purpose well, its rare that we have to login and change settings since you can ack and resolve from phone, or slack. You could add snooze option to the slackbot, that would be awesome!

PROS

- The flow of events, mainly. How it goes from Triggered, to ACK, to resolved with snooze options, it feels natural. - Notification flow: How I can set up to notify my phone, wait two minutes before texting me, and wait five minutes before calling me. - Slack integration

CONS

- Configuration can use some redesign. Its hard to find some settings sometimes. I told a coworker about updating notifications, and it took them a while to figure out where they can do that. - Some important features are hidden behind a higher tier plan, eg: analytics.

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

I am not sure. I was not involved in the decision process

ryan

Consumer Electronics, 10,000+ employees

reliable

PROS

Very fast and reliable notifications. The mobile app is great to use for acknowledging and resolving pages.

CONS

Confusing setup for simple services. Should have a streamlined process to set up user, team, service, and escalation policy in a few clicks.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2019

The best option if you need to be alerted for when things go down

We were tired of paging everyone all the time on things going down or coming back up. Now it pages one person during business hours only. Also if the server comes back up it'll close the ticket for us and resolve the call. Our admins can now sleep at nights and not have to respond to every page with people trying to figure out who is handling the situation.

PROS

Most? There are so many features with pagerduty. I like it only alerts one person on call instead of the old way we use to page people. We use to page everyone on everything. Now it's just the person on call and he doesn't respond it goes to the next person. Very nice setup.

CONS

Scheduling times is a bit difficult for me to grasp, but once you figure it out you only have to set it up once.

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

Pager duty was cheaper, had more functionality and could auto-resolve tickets with service now.

De Ville

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2019

PagerDuty is the perfect solution for managing our production support team

PagerDuty gives us peace of mind. With PagerDuty it's great to know that the right person will be contacted as soon as a production incident is logged. Keeping track of who is on support is no longer a hassle. I can't imagine us managing production support without it, especially considering the fact that the team is spread across multiple continents. I can't recommend it enough!

PROS

- Great integration support - Mobile app works great and continues to get frequent updates - Flexible configuration options without being overly complicated - Allows us to easily manage our after-hours roster and schedules - Ability to create incident reports is a great time saver

CONS

- Pricing is a bit more than some competitors

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty is a more polished product and it meets our needs better.

Reasons for switching to PagerDuty

The manual process was confusing to everyone and a pain to maintain.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2019

The standard in on-call notification

I have used pagerduty for years, and I have to say I use it as the gold standard for other notification services. So far, competitors either don't have nearly the same level of features, or cost a fortune.

PROS

Easy to set up. Inexpensive. Reliable. It has a number of integration options for various monitoring systems, and they are always adding more. They also have generic versioned APIs for any custom software you might bring to the table.

CONS

The Mobile app sometimes has issues refreshing when there is a lot of activity.

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

Price, features, ease of integration, ease of use.

Vedarth

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Web application is seamless and we had to contact support for any kind of question.

PROS

Seamless workflow management, once the workflow is setup everything works just as expected. PagerDuty has many integrations which allows us to setup alerts just by choosing the application, which is a great thing for small teams where development costs are very high.

CONS

Cannot think of anything from my standpoint, we are a small team and PagerDuty has everything we need and it works as expected every single time.

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty had more integrations and it was more suitable for our team. We wanted to spend less time in setting up the alerting system.

Adam

E-Learning, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2019

PagerDuty is the defacto incident management software

PROS

PagerDuty takes the complication out of scheduling and lets us focus on keeping our services up and healthy. We set the schedule and forget about it.

CONS

The Terraform provider is very buggy. We often find we have to go through multiple rounds of guess and check to get Terraform config to match up with how we want it to end up in PagerDuty. I understand that Terraform is not the primary UX you are focused on but for Terraform power users managing many teams and services it is indispensable.

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty was really the only game in town when we started with you, but we've looked at the alternatives based on price alone.

Daiana

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Operations Platform which works

PROS

-multiple integrations with many tools. -easy to set up and use -mobile App -stable

CONS

Some of the integrations, at least at the moment, are not ways. Such as Zendesk and PagerDuty where you can only create incidents when a Zendesk case is created but not the other way around. The mobile App does not have all the features as the web platform.

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

The ability of having primary and secondary rosters

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2018

Pager Duty - Proof you get what you pay for

We immediately handled the overflow of noise from Nagios, AppDynamics, Dotcom-Monitor, SCOM(from our dc provider) and were able to drop a cellular device using the centralized phone contact with Pager-Duty. We also were able to put our on-call schedule into PagerDuty to realize immediately who was on-call for what product, in what region. There was a very immediate value add realized from even just trialing PagerDuty.

PROS

I tried a competitor's product which was a free notification manager up to 11 people. It took me 3 days to get anywhere with a basic task of integrating 3 of our noisiest alerts. Then I tried the PagerDuty trial and got 2 of our noisiest alerts built out in 1 day. I added 3 more over the next 2 days to go well over the targeted mark. Coworkers were excited to help put time and effort into the system as opposed to the free tool which I couldn't seem to get any traction with. The alerts were immediately available, they were easy to get posting to my cell phone, and adding additional users was a cinch. The tool unfolds and becomes more useful the more time you put into it where some tools you struggle to get right and then you're afraid to make changes.

CONS

The UI is a bit quirky in the scheduler which is a pretty important view if you have a rotating on-call shift you're trying to tie down. There was a lot of "can't delete before you delete elsewhere" scenarios where there could have been a "will also delete these elsewhere, are you sure?" scenarios. What you gain in ease of use and stability in the mobile platform you lose in overall functionality, it is simple almost to a fault and while it seems silly there's no skinning of the mobile app to better suit your personality in a hyper-customized world. I'll know shortly if they're willing to go longer but they seem to be sticklers for the exact trial length + only a little. Corporations interested in putting in a full month long or longer trial that may need that amount of time to show value, create a SOW, and have a PO issued may be stuck in limbo for a few weeks.

Marcos

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed December 2022

The best in their sector

My overall experience it's that it's a great product. If you need an incident management tool it's the best in their sector and it works as expected but it lacks of some basic features and a really bad documentation that will drive you crazy.

PROS

What I like the most is the perfect work Pagerduty does at its job, alerting and incident management. We can get alerted in a very granular way, the alerts are great, the statistics about previous alerts too. It just do what you need it to do.

CONS

The things I dislike is the really bad documentation PagerDuty does and the horrible User Interface, you never find what you need to find. Also it needs some necessary features that for any reason people are requesting from years ago and they still not working on them like the ability to leave empty on-call schedules (due to bank holidays or vacation)

Soumya

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Does way more than what is on the box if people knows to use it.

Overall its been amazing and always a friend of operations team now spreading to development teams.

PROS

- Setting up override is 30 seconds task. - Reminder of when Im going on-call and my own notification settings is a life saviour. - Slack integration - Api integration - Postmortems made easier. - ITIL followed in the core in an automated fashion making incident management a cake walk.

CONS

- No way to export the schedule to excel. Only option is to do a calendar export. Which is not what a team lead or manager will want to do payroll. - Would be nicer to have billing based on number of schedules/services rather than number of users as we are in a devops world where all need to be able to login/resolve alerts. This forces teams to limit access taking them away from being "devops". - I am not a big fan of the schedule UI. It will be nicer to have days separated with lines on the rota. - In general the amount of invested on this tool is very minimal by a user, so it is worth simplifying schedules and services for people to understand it easier. The word service itself is misleading for the users.

Not the decision maker.

Sara

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

Great for On-call

Great!

PROS

I like that we can easily resolve through the app.

CONS

I don't like that we can only have 3 users.

Looked easier

Reasons for switching to PagerDuty

Updated phone systems

Alexander

Banking, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Very dependable alerts and notifications service

PROS

Pagerduty has been the de facto standard for real-time notifications of on-call engineers in several IT product teams that I’ve worked in. It was easy to set up, integrates well with Slack and notifies the right people reliably and automatically. I really like the flexibly configurable notification rules (for example, send me a push notification first, then if I don’t acknowledge the issue, follow up with a text message, then a phone call, lastly try my personal phone number)

CONS

The UI of the PagerDuty dashboard is not very discoverable, making it difficult to learn about many of the advanced features and configuration options

Narinder

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed August 2019

Pagerduty is Life Safer for DBA

Overall We are happy with this product from first day as it ease lot of manual intervention for any failure or critical alert which help us to maintain our SLA

PROS

Pagerduty is one of the premium product that provides the best oncall features for any organization which is looking less manual ways to manage the escalation, Pagerduty provides web interface along with Mobile app and integration with lot of API's (e.g Slack) which makes this product very useful for Infrastructure,DBA and Help Desk teams.

CONS

So far i don't see any noticeable short coming which need to be explored ,i have they will add more features in their mobile app along with little bit more stability as sometime their mobile app crashes on Andriod.

Antoine

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2019

Great functionality and features, Robotic interface/calling/messaging

Overall, Pagerduty was a great way for us to get started creating an alert system because it's easy of use and integrates. It works well and has little to no downtime and provides a ton of features and is really reliable. However, the UI is not intuitive and pretty and the alert system is robotic making it not "fun" to use. It is pricey overall if you don't intend to use all of its features.

PROS

The thing I like most about Pagerduty is how easy it is to set-up, get working, and consistently be reliable to send alerts at proper times. These things made it easy for us to integrate into our software using their API.

CONS

It is a bit pricey, especially if you don't plan on using all of the functionality and features that PagerDuty. For us, PagerDuty was overkill for the kind of alert/messaging system we were looking for so we were paying extra for these features we weren't using. Secondly, the alert/messaging system feels pretty robotic and is not very customizable. It feels like Pagerduty was built for engineers thought it could be used in other sectors.

Brian

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2019

It is hard to beat PagerDuty for the functionality and itegration into alerting systems

On-call rotations are managed through PagerDuty and it allows each functional area to build their own escalation procedures. We are exploring the newly added teams and business process functionality of the software to improve collaborative efforts between teams.

PROS

Lots of Integrations with other tools and ways to integrate even without commercial integrations, with RESTful interfaces and email integrations.

CONS

Working with the software renewal and licensing aspects of the software has been challenging. There were some legal snafu's that made getting the agreement signed quite a chore.

Reason for choosing PagerDuty

Generally PagerDuty had more Integration options with about the same functionality.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Best in breed incident and on call management

Pagerduty is an excellent tool to enable on-call teams to response to and collaborate on operational issues with ease. The wealth of integrations with other popular tooling make it the go to option for many people.

PROS

Quick to implement and scale and it helps the organization to respond to and resolve incidents in a timely and effective manner. Features such as real-time alerts, on-call scheduling, and incident tracking and reporting are excellent.

CONS

The cost model can be a little confusing and/or opaque. The reporting module, in my opinion, should be included with the base product

Yotam

Internet, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Review about PagerDuty, from a user standpoint

Over all as I said it does the job. Minor UI improvements will help to make it more convenient.

PROS

First of all, PD does the job. It means that my company can customize it as they wish, and I get alerts efficiently using email, SMS and phone calls (and the app). The alerts are effective and the needed information is found inside the incident body. It is not trivial to have a system that works in large scale as it does in Taboola.

CONS

There are some end-user UI issues I would like to raise: 1. It is too easy for me to see others' incidents. I do not want to see it - it's confusing. Once I actually closed an incident of another person, mistakenly. Yes it was my mistake and perhaps my IT department's configuration mistake, but the UI shows me these incidents. I am only interested in mine. 2. In "alerts" I see many alerts which are not mine! again you are loading me with details not relevant for me. 3. In "indicents" in the website, I put on "any status" but I don't see closed incidents. 4. The smartphone app is great, very focused to what I need. Why not add the option to add a calendar entry for PD on-call shifts?

Stuart