• icon"I love the ease of client booking, options of subscriptions and packages, and the interface of the software. My clients all love it as well."
  • icon"What I like most about this software is the features for customization. I can make special packages and price each of my clients at any price I want."
  • icon"What I love most about fons is that my clients love it. It's easy and straightforward for them, and looks super professional."
  • icon"Some of the functions are still a little odd, in that sometimes you have to order different types of charges (tuition vs. one-time) to keep things straight with payments, at least at first."

Browse all Fons Reviews

• Have you used Fons and would like to share your experience with others?

Rob

Industry: Music

I no longer dread billing my students.

I love teaching guitar, but I hate the tedious administrivia part of running your own business, and until recently the worst part was scheduling and billing my students. I tracked their lessons with pencil and paper, and used email to schedule and bill. Looking back on it, the whole process was incredibly inefficient and prone to miscommunication and mistakes. Now my calendar is synced with my students, and the billing happens behind the scenes. When I first signed up with Fons I think it had just opened for business, and I'd occasionally encounter bugs. Their customer service is AMAZING. Like, "how do you stay in business with this level of service?" amazing. Not only did they genuinely care if I had a problem, often things I reported got fixed within a few days. The app now feels solid and I recommend it without reservation.

Pros

Not spending six hours at the start of every month calculating and emailing invoices to each of my students.

Cons

A minor gripe: I'd like to have access to a record of each email Fons sends on my behalf.

Response from Fons

Thank you Rob! This is awesome! We are so happy you are with us at Fons and we appreciate you! :)

Jeremy

May 2022

Fons adds value and simplicity to my business

Fons adds value to my music teaching business by taking most billing and scheduling matters off my plate. I set my policy and explain it to my studio families, and Fons takes care of the rest. There are no more "we were on vacation during one of our lessons last month, so we're going to pay you less this month" conversations. It's great having a system I can count on to make sure I get paid and taking care of most of the issues without me having to step in. I have to add that the Fons support team and the broader Fons community are amazing. They are incredibly responsive when I have questions or issues. They also roll out new features all the time, usually in response to suggestions made by the people who use the software. I get the sense from everyone I have interacted with at Fons that they truly want my business to succeed and to help make that happen.

Pros

As a music teacher, I strongly prefer to keep my conversations with students and parents about music, building confidence, and having fun in the process. Toward the bottom of the list would be chasing down payments or being the studio policy enforcer on things like last-minute cancellations. With Fons, after some initial setup and onboarding with new students, I generally don't have to talk about payments or scheduling. With a little bit of training and coaching, my students know they will be charged automatically and on a regular basis, which turns out to be a point of convenience for them because it's one less bill they have to remember to pay. So in turn, I can count on getting paid regularly and consistently while giving the vast majority of my attention to my students and their development.

Cons

Fons doesn't have any major issues in my opinion...but in the future, I would love to see 2-way calendar sync so that Fons can determine my availability using appointments on my calendar that aren't related to my business (similar to what Calendly does). This would be a "nice to have" and not a reason I would decide to use/not use the service.

Reasons for choosing Fons

I like that Fons chooses to be really good at a handful of things (payments and scheduling) rather than trying to be a one-stop shop for everything a music teacher might need in a tech platform. For some alternative products, payments seem to be an add on feature on top of the main focus for organizing lesson materials and keeping track of student development. When I first chose Fons, it was because I specifically needed a payment platform, so it made sense to use a company whose main focus is on payments.

Response from Fons

This is the kindest, most well thought out review. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We are so happy to have providers like you as part of the Fons Family. :)

Hannah

Great Customer Service

My overall experience with fons has been relatively good. The customer service has been helpful with all of my issues and there are definitely some wonderful benefits with Fons, but there are some issues with layout that could use improvement.

Pros

I have had excellent customer service experiences with Fons. It is also wonderful to have a scheduling app where clients can schedule and pay for their appointments and include the option to purchase in bulk!

Cons

This software is a bit complicated to use at times. It is hard to find how to do certain things, and there needs to be more direct options for certain actions. Sites like these should be laid out in the easiest manner for the simplest laymen to use. It would also help to have an option for a business policy to be read by clients before scheduling appointments and when appointments are being confirmed so that the policy is fresh in their minds and for liability purposes.

Reasons for switching to Fons

I made the switch because My Music Staff was extremely complicated to use and the method of payment transactions did not make sense.

Response from Fons

Hey there Hannah! Thank you so much for your review and this feedback. We want to make Fons as simple as possible to use for anyone, regardless of their comfort with using new technologies. Please let our team know if there are any particular areas you'd like to see improve or explained better. Fons is a powerful platform nestled into minimal design., and we make updates each week to try and improve the user experience. We are guided by our customers' needs and feedback. Thanks for sharing yours!

Replied August 2019

Adrienne

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

I highly recommend automating your music teaching business with Fons

I was able to automate all my monthly tuition and recurring lesson packages quickly and with no problems at all. My prospective clients are able to book their initial consultation with me in just a few clicks, and then they are all set to be part of my studio when they are ready to schedule their lessons. It's made my studio administration so much more manageable! No more invoicing, and everything I need is in one place.

Pros

My favorite thing about Fons is that I am able to set up my studio schedule and billing once, and then concentrate on teaching. The automated recurring subscriptions and packages for lessons removed the need for invoicing, so I no longer have to chase down tuition, while at the same time, I can adjust billing easily when needed. It saves me a ton of time every month.

Cons

The only recommendation I have is to eventually allow for two-way calendar sync, but this is a minor concern.

Reasons for choosing Fons

Ultimately, I chose Fons because of its people. It's worth it knowing I have their whole team to assist me if I need it, and customer service is fast and always helpful. Plus, they have created a superior product.

Reasons for switching to Fons

I found Square to be more than I needed for running a sole proprietorship. The invoicing was more complex than I had time to master, and there were more options and services than I needed. Fons simplified everything for me without sacrificing any professionalism in how my business is presented. In fact, I feel even more professional because Fons is designed for businesses like mine.

Response from Fons

Thank you so much for sharing this Adrienne. Absolutely grateful to work with you.

Replied September 2021

Brian

Industry: Performing Arts

"FonsMo Me"

It's the best scheduling and billing app I have yet to use, and nothing compares to the top notch customer service experience.

Pros

Ease of use for clients to book and pay, as well as the option to collect payments without tying said payments to specific appointments.

Cons

Very little to say I liked "least". One improvement I'd like to see is an ability to just charge a client a "high-ticket" amount and have flexibility to create unique deposit and payment plan arrangements or pay-as-you-can options that let them pay off the balance over time with whatever they need to pay devoid of specific appointments tied to specific payments. Also, scheduling dates and times for a workshop with multiple repeat dates is tedious and requires too much repetitive typing when I would rather just click "repeat weekly" for X number of weeks, etc.

Reasons for choosing Fons

Fons is better. Sick of paying a premium for a sub-par experience with the big companies. Also, I love being more unique than my competition.

Fons is SUPERIOR!

Response from Fons

We're proud to work with you Brian, and appreciate the amazing work you're doing! Thank you.

Replied September 2021

Tom

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Best scheduling and billing software

Overall, I has been very easy to use and implement.

Pros

Fons makes scheduling and billing so easy. It has reduced my admin hours to at most 2 hours a week.

Cons

There isn't much that I don't like. I wish I could drag and drop calendar appointments. However, they are constantly adding and upgrading new features, so this may be in the works!

Reasons for choosing Fons

Ease of use and the cost.

Reasons for switching to Fons

I first made the switch because a coach I hired recommended it. I'm glad I did!

Response from Fons

Hey Tom! We are so happy Fons is working out for you and we are excited to have you as part of the Fons Fam!

Allie

Industry: Online Media

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Amazing software & even better customer service!

Fons is the best platform for ease of scheduling, invoicing, offering many pricing options & subscriptions, and CUSTOMER SERVICE! The Fons Family facebook group alone is worth its weight in gold. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is an incredible, intelligent, heart centered [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who truly cares about the success of his customers. I’m thrilled to have found a software & support community that fits all of my needs (& more!!). Can’t recommend Fons enough!!

Pros

Fons is an awesome platform that’s super easy to use and fits my exact needs as a coach & consultant. I love the ease of client booking, options of subscriptions and packages, and the interface of the software. My clients all love it as well!

Cons

My phone calendar stopped syncing with the app (likely my phones issue and not the app). Other than that, it’s awesome!

Reasons for switching to Fons

Acuity was great but a little complicated for my taste. It didn’t have the customer service I needed and is a typical non-human-relational company that doesn’t have anything special to it.

Response from Fons

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review Allie! We are so glad you are part of the Fons family and the platform fits your needs!

Anita

May 2022

My Clients and I love Fons!

Pros

Easy to use when scheduling my students for appointments! It’s great for parents because they have the convenience of setting up their credit card information when I send out an Invite for their child’s scheduled lessons the first time! I can also reschedule and cancel appointments with ease.

Cons

When using the calendar to find a students future scheduled lesson, it takes me back to the current date every time before I’m finished! It’s annoying!

Response from Fons

Thank you so much for being part of the Fons family, Anita! We are so glad you are here and you are Fons is helping you run your business with ease.

Worth it!

It has been great! We've been very happy and grateful for this product

Pros

Customer service and usefulness. This team has really figured out what small, service businesses need!

Cons

I wish we could get the activation bar to go away

Customer service

Reasons for switching to Fons

All in one system that takes care of everything!

Response from Fons

Thank you so much for this review and feedback. We are thrilled you are here and cannot wait to grow with you!

Erin Mae

Fons is great

Fons has definitely simplified by life by providing a super simple way for my students and clients to schedule appointments *for themselves*. No more exchanging dozens of emails/text messages to try to nail down a time to meet. I just send them my link and they find a time that works for them. I am so pleased!

Pros

Makes scheduling appointments with clients SO MUCH easier

Cons

Can be a bit bulky to navigate at first, until you get used to the terminology they use to describe the various different services they offer.

Reasons for choosing Fons

It brought payment and scheduling together in one simple platform, for a very affordable price. And it integrates very nicely into my existing website.

Response from Fons

Thank you so much for this review! We really appreciate your taking the time, and are so happy that you're enjoying Fons! Your comment about the learning curve is really valid, and an area we're constantly trying to improve. Thanks again for being a part of the Fons family, and let us know if you need anything else! Awesome.

Replied August 2019

Esther

Industry: Fine Art

Amazing customer service

Basically this platform has been life-changing for my business! I love the internal messaging feature. It allows any communications for scheduling or payment processing to be done through the software. This frees up my email and really brought my anxiety down by having everything organized in one place. I also love being able to charge a client’s credit card anytime I need to. The client doesn’t have to do anything. There is absolutely no friction on their end. This was of the utmost importance for my business.

Pros

The best thing about Fons is that they keep making it better. They are interested in their clients needs. This was crucial for me as I think it is the most important thing when it comes to your business. No platform is perfect, but I am confident this is going to be the best one out there, given the drive and dedication of the Fons team

Cons

When I am editing appointments there are no batch actions and it always takes me back to the home calendar page… So it can be a bit clunky and time consuming when doing things like this. I’m sure they will fix it!

The customer service.

Response from Fons

Hey there! Thank you so much for your review, and the excellent idea to improve navigation for editing appointments. We will send this over to our design team right away and see how we can better that flow. Grateful that you're enjoying the platform, and thank you again for your note.

Caleb

Industry: Fine Art

March 2022

Best business decision I have ever made

10/10 - amazing community, great customer service that will help you even when you just need to read something correctly (Thanks [SENSITIVE CONTENT] and [SENSITIVE CONTENT]!). It has boosted my SEO here locally and helped get my website in front of many more prospective students and parents. This is the best thing you can do for your teaching business hands down.

Pros

The online portal is great, the ability to put a booking link on my website increases my professionalism greatly. I love that once my clients are set up, Fons takes care of reminders, invoicing, and keeps an up to date calendar of my availability. The biggest part was the SEO boost

Cons

I wish there was a "client view button" right now I have a dummy account in my own name to see things as a client. Totally not a big deal at all.

Reasons for switching to Fons

Response from Fons

Wow! This makes us all so happy to hear, and thank you so much for sharing your experience. We appreciate you, and are absolutely grateful to have you as a member of the Fons fam!

Andy

Industry: Music

So helpful for my business

Pros

I've used Fons for my studio of around 40 guitar students since spring of 2019. It's helped smooth out the day to day running of the business in numerous ways, from enabling me to automate payments, to giving students an easy way to reschedule missed lessons. Fons' CEO, Eric, is one of the nicest people out there, and makes himself remarkably available for someone who's surely very busy. Their support staff is simply the best I've ever seen. They reply often within minutes of me contacting them. The platform is easy and intuitive to use. I learned my way around it quickly, and have had almost no issues with clients' ability to use it.

Cons

Fons is still a little ahead of it's time. It, and other services like it, are still not widely used by music teachers. Thus, music teachers can sometimes encounter resistance to using the service from clients. On the other hand, there are clients out there who really like it, and see it as something that positively sets me apart from other teachers in my area.

Response from Fons

Hey there Andy. Thank you so much for your kind words, and especially for your note about students resisting digitization. That really resonates and is one of our core objectives right now... make digital payments & scheduling more simple & less obtrusive for the clients. We want to get friction for customers as close to zero as possible. Thank you so much for being part of our community. We so appreciate you.

Replied May 2020

Brittney

Fons Is Life Changing

Awesome.. can’t say that enough.

Pros

As a vocal Coach I struggled for YEARS with working out a convenient way to bill people, especially in the event of having to hold students accountable for my 24 hour notice cancellation policy without just losing the student altogether or having an awkward conversation with them. (I am very non-confrontational) Fons has COMPLETELY fixed that for me! I have never heard a complaint for my policy since using Fons and never missed receiving a payment because Fons retrieves it for me. Also never lost students over it. I honestly make $300-$400 from cancellations a month that I would not have been paid prior to using it. Fons is the middle man for me and it makes everything so easy!

Cons

I honestly have no real complaints. Customer service is always asking how to improve the product and they have actually taken and worked with multiple suggestions I’ve given!

Response from Fons

Hey Brittney, While we do have a ton of great easy to use features, everyone does love the automated cancellation policy. Whoa, $300-$400 a month from cancellations, you are now able to capture, that's amazing! We've had others tell us the same thing, but until you really start adding it up it's hard to imagine it would ever be that much. Great job & glad we could help! Also, thanks for the great review! :) Mica ~ Customer Success Team

Laura

May 2022

No more chasing payments!

Overall I am very satisfied and have had great help from customer service when needed.

Pros

Being able to auto-schedule and bill my clients all in the same place has been life changing and saved me so much time and energy chasing payments/sending reminders.

Cons

Literally my only complaint is that the price jumped so significantly from <$100/year to >$300/year. I still appreciate the value in the software and now depend on it heavily - I just wish there was a more affordable option for people like me who have zero employees and are the sole administrator.

Response from Fons

Hey there Laura. Thank you so much for sharing your review, your kind words, and your concern about cost. We hear you, and are very mindful about how Fons is priced. The cost reflects our commitment to providing in real-life customer support for you and your customers, a platform built by top-notch engineers here in the United States, and for us to create a truly professional solution. We're always working on ways to keep the cost down, and appreciate your sharing your thoughts here. Thank you so much for being a part of this community.

Patrick

Industry: Music

Like having a great assistant

As a guitar teacher, it's no surprise that the founder is as well -- they've thought of everything a service provider needs. Aside from the app itself, the Fons Facebook group has made me aware of some best practices that have streamlined my business. I'm just starting out, so having all this stuff handled for a low price is awesome. It's good to know that Fons will be useful and affordable no matter how much my business grows.

Pros

The scheduling and payments side of my business is done for me, freeing up time and energy to focus on teaching. Fons handles all the stuff I hate doing, and stays out of the way for the rest. It eliminates a lot of friction for me, my existing clients, and in onboarding new clients. And Fons' integrated Marketplace makes me easy to find and helps boost my existing web presence.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. The interface is self-explanatory, so between trying it out and asking a few questions in their Facebook group, I got up and running very quickly and haven't had any issues.

Response from Fons

Thank you Patrick, We are so happy Fons is working for you and eliminating all the stuff you don't like doing so you can focus on doing the stuff you love! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

Replied April 2022