All AutoCAD Reviews

Reviewed May 2021

AutoCAD: User review

Mohammad

Reviewed January 2023

AutoCAD remains the uncontested drafting software for my daily civil & architectural demands.

For a while now, AutoCAD has been my go-to CAD utility thanks to its rich features & undisputed performance. The software has a neat interface for easily navigating through the variety of plotting tools & organized tabs for all drafting purposes. it's hard not to recommend this software to anyone who's looking for a flawless CAD experience.

PROS

Since college, I've been regularly using AutoCAD to design 2D schematics in various course projects & till this day, the software has never failed me in fulfilling my work. The user interface is sleek & the plethora of features & compatibility to complement the fantastic user experience. More specifically, whenever I'm working a schematic that contains multiple layers (civil, electrical, HVAC, etc.), I'm easily able to lock or freeze other layers while working on a specific layer. This has countlessly averted me unintentional alterations of layers that I weren't supposed to modify.

CONS

Since updating to version 2023.1, I've noticed an increase in CPU usage on my Athlon 200GE desktop which occasionally led to audible inconvenience from the desktop fans revving at full speed. I hope a future update could resolve this minor annoyance. A great piece of software nonetheless.

Reason for choosing AutoCAD

While FreeCAD is admirably free & open source with a modest amount of features, I wasn't quite satisfied with the seemingly messy, convoluted user interface which made resort to AutoCAD.

Reasons for switching to AutoCAD

AutoCAD offers an easier UI without compromising on features or performance. Besides, the frequent, large-sized software updates meant that CPU usage was bogged down when drafting & storage was quickly filling on my C drive. This ultimately dissuaded me to continue on using the software altogether & make the switch to AutoCAD.

shaik mohd

Reviewed February 2024

as a user from the biggner to the preficient level

finally i can say we canuse autocad at every aspect of design

PROS

i like the most best thing about the application is we can create what ever design we want

CONS

i dont about the aplication is the size of the application

Arlex

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed March 2018

Autocad, it was my design school.

With autocad I learned to design with a computer, I learned to model, I learned CAD, it was my initial school.

PROS

Working in AutoCAD is much easier than working on paper. We saved a lot of time and it's much simpler than that. Doing it by hand can be tedious and we also have to consider our prolixity when it comes to doing it on a sheet. As Autodesk is launching new versions, they do not change much with respect to the previous ones so that the user does not have to update to something completely unknown. The latest versions are very similar, except that they add new small functions. The configuration to print a drawing in AutoCAD in different formats is very easy. There are many formats included and we can adjust colors, margins, layers, among many other aspects. AutoCAD has been linked to multiple platforms, with the benefit of being able to export and import files of all kinds. For example, we can bring an image or a block to the software, among other applications.

CONS

The main disadvantage is the high cost of the program, since the license costs a few dollars. Knowing how to use the software fully requires a lot of time since there are many functions that are not so well known, and even that they are of little application, since they are very specific. It requires a very powerful computer to work with the latest versions (especially in 3D). At least 2GB of RAM, 2GHz processing speed, and a space greater than 100GB on the hard drive. If we make an object in 3D, with many details, brightness settings, brightness, details of materials, for the best commercial computer we have, it usually slows down a lot. There are better software to make 3D drawings that are more sophisticated, with more functions and that do not slow down so much when working with a very heavy file.

Rita

Research, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed December 2023

a great tool for project development

PROS

I like how easy it is to make an accurate drawing, with all the measures needed, and how easy and quickly I can pivot from a hand drawing to a vector drawing. in my workflow, I appreciate the command line which allows me to work quickly

CONS

Sometimes the Osnap tool is a little too sensitive but nothing that will bother an expert user. Some hatch patterns can be too heavy for some computers.

Ujval

Restaurants, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed February 2024

Have been using since my career started and still my favorite

As per my experience, There are much more advantages with compared to cons. Because now a days it is not hard to learn any softwares. But AutoCad is batter than other as I think.

PROS

The software's simplicity is reminiscent of the saying 'old is gold,' yet it surpasses mere nostalgia. The commands and shortcuts have become ingrained in my mind. I've noticed several significant upgrades implemented by the company, and they all prove to be easy to comprehend and straightforward.

CONS

It is difficult to install a program for a beginners and one more to be noticed, you have to little bit advance knowledge of software to use Understanding of 3D modeling and visualization: Advanced knowledge of 3D modeling techniques, rendering, and visualization tools within AutoCAD is essential for creating realistic and visually appealing designs.

Thomas

Construction, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Difficult to learn but market leading

PROS

Extremely powerful software, accurate and many advanced features

CONS

Very difficult for beginners and UI doesn’t help with this. Need formal tuition to use

ELIUD

Civil Engineering, 1 employee

Eliud reviews

user friendly and very accurate. easy to annotate

PROS

user friendly and very accurate. easy to annotate

CONS

it is too mechanical. drawing line by line

Shubham

E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Best and beginners friendly tool

PROS

It is very beginners friendly and also has web version available.

CONS

Drawing through command line is sometimes difficult.

guillermo

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 5,001-10,000 employees

ACAD for design

In general, it is a very useful software when designing conceptually and drawing your ideas at an initial design stage.

PROS

easy and intuitive to use, the buttons are within reach and the commands increasingly precise

CONS

The 3D environment is more difficult to parameterize.

Simon

Textiles, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

AutoCAD summary

PROS

I am very satisfied with the program. I got into the program already at school. The program met expectations in every way and we use it often and are satisfied.

CONS

The beginnings were more complicated, as the user had to find his way around. But after that it's fine.

Kelsey

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Love love love

PROS

I honestly love the commands in AutoCAD, they're pretty intuitive without being overly complicated. I like that the command bar also explicitly spells out additional options for each function. I feel like the overall ease of use is relatively good. If you're familiar with programs in general, CAD will be no big deal. However, the return on the project is exponential for the ease of use, so that's wonderful. I use the program daily, even above doing simple linework in Adobe products, for example. CAD has become so ingrained in my workflow that I really can't do without it.

CONS

The biggest con I can think of has to do with the consistent functionality of certain commands I use. For example, the hatching command does not always read linework as complete/joined even when I know that it is, which results in a wildly skewed hatch. As well, the draw order command does not always function properly. Basically, I don't have a huge complaint - more like I think there's still bugs that need to be worked out. Overall, I love CAD.

Reasons for switching to AutoCAD

Rhino is a more complex program to use. It's more geared towards 3D I think than 2D modeling, though you're perfectly capable of doing both there. I much prefer drafting in CAD.

Subodh

Reviewed September 2022

WATCH this before installing Auto CAD

Drafting, designing and overall needs of our company is cleared with this app, also mechanics and plumbers are using this software.

PROS

everything is overall best and maybe the only problem with people nowadays is they think's they're perfect after a design or after some days. It takes time to dig down, keep practicing more, there is free trail period available for student's. verify and do it. don't wait. keep going.

CONS

This app provides all new features and functions of AutoCAD' so there is not much problem i can say but when you keep working and working into it you can find some problem but u can solve it. make your own code and it all available. And the thing needed is time and practice.

Reason for choosing AutoCAD

it is easy and provides best results and free for students. that's all you need for the perfect software.

Reviewed January 2022

Using Autocad at the office and site works

A software that can not be replaced especially the Pc version of it but some other softwares may be helpful for making Autocad more efficient and easier to use.

PROS

As it's to most developed software of it's kind of softwares, it contains the most important and useful tools that can be used to create or modify or even evaluate or improve the plans and the content. Especially in the windows or ios versions but unlikely in the mobile version.

CONS

Sometimes it's necessary to get more tools and libraries from the internet wich makes it more difficult whenever you are working on a different type of plans, it would be very helpful if they could include all of the other items and libraries in the main product.

Reason for choosing AutoCAD

Autocad makes it genuinely easier and professional.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed June 2019

AutoCAD: Jack of all trades, master of none

I briefly used AutoCAD before using Revit for all of my time at university. I then switched to AutoCAD when I started my internship, as they did not have Revit. It really just takes a lot more time to do the same things. For example, I was tasked with drawing up some interior elevations, which I could do in Revit by simply making a section.

PROS

Without AutoCAD, many essential industries in today's world would crumble. It has become such a useful and essential tool in pretty much all design fields. Even when it is not the preferred tool, it works well and can be used effectively.

CONS

Too many people learned this software, and are afraid to switch to much better tools that would save time and money in the longrun. The construction and architecture industry, for example, have Autodesk Revit, which does pretty much everything AutoCAD does and more. AutoCAD is fine, but Revit is just better for this industry.

Reasons for switching to AutoCAD

My current job has not switched to Revit yet, unfortunately.

Adam

Reviewed August 2018

Industry Standard for Drafting and Designing

As I use AutoCAD on a near-daily basis in the engineering field, it has become a tool that is second-nature while drafting and designing. While AutoCAD is an extremely effective tool to help designers and drafters to create drawings that look great and are easy to manipulate, it can struggle to handle heavy project workload with many 3-dimensional objects in one drawing; if you are able to plan and predict what a project will entail, you can plan your drawings accordingly to make sure that there isn't too much content in a single drawing which seems to cause this issue. As a leading tool for engineers, AutoCAD remains an excellent software for drafting and designing.

PROS

AutoCAD is a great drafting tool that has some great built-in functions to assist the designer in efficiently designing and drafting engineering projects. The customization in AutoCAD allows for great consistency in drafting by having custom uniform text, styles, and general features (such as pipe networks, pressure networks, and profiles to name a few), though this customization can also be a detriment which I will mention below. The majority of the interface is designed for ease-of-use, having all of the commonly used features in the ribbon and on the taskbar, while retaining the text commands for quickly accessing features for more advanced users. AutoCAD has widespread compatibility in terms of files it is able to import and read, as well as output formats to other drafting softwares. As I use AutoCAD with the Civil 3D add-on, there are some very helpful 3-dimensional tools that make it easy to draft your intended design with ease and the functionality of having various levels of complexity such as 3-dimensional surfaces, 3-dimensional pipe networks, and all of the associated tools (roadway corridors, grading tools, and surface manipulation.) AutoCAD is an industry standard for a reason - it helps the designer to efficiently and effectively complete designs with a wide variety of tools and options.

CONS

Though AutoCAD offers some very useful tools, some of these tools are complex and there can be a steep learning curve for new users. The bulk of the issues encountered while using AutoCAD seem to happen on larger complex projects. For larger-scale projects where many different drawings and objects are referenced together, it is important for the user to understand efficient ways to link drawings and AutoCAD objects together to prevent file slow-downs and bloating of project files. The dreaded 'Fatal Error' is also not uncommon when working in larger complex projects, especially when using 3-dimensional functions in the software such as surface grading. As newer versions of the software cause older versions to become obsolete, it is crucial that you stay up-to-date with the newest version of AutoCAD if you are planning on collaborating with external parties or consultants. Ensure the machine you will be using AutoCAD on exceeds the minimum recommended software and hardware requirements, as it can be difficult to efficiently use this software on an under-powered computer.

Sadaf

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2019

AutoCAD- A powerful tool for drawing and modelling

Work with AutoCAD begins at the conception stage (conceptual design, schematics, design development) through to construction (good for construction and as-built drawings) and completion. I have been using AutoCAD for the last ten years and honestly, I would not trade this software for any other. Our company uses AutoCAD for drafting two-dimensional layouts, editing, developing 3D models as well as using it to import and export to other compatible software such as Revit for BIM and IES for energy modelling respectively. It is a fundamental drafting software that has no competitor in the market, especially for the construction industry. I highly recommend this powerful tool for enhancing the quality of detailed architectural, mechanical, electrical and civil 2D drawings for better implementation on site.

PROS

There is no limit to what can be produced with AutoCAD, from architecture, product design, and landscape drawings, from the tiniest to scales to the largest. As an Architect, I feel that mastering this software has been an indispensable skill, and I will be using it for many many years to come. Once you get a hang of it, developing layouts is simple, with a customizable interface and menus. I especially love the Object Snap command that helps me prepare drawings and details that are 100% accurate. Being compatible with a majority of modelling software, exporting CAD drawings is quite straightforward too. There is a plethora of support online as well as provided by Autodesk, if things seem challenging or there is a glitch to fix. The best part is that AutoCAD offers a fully functional free version for students, which is definitely a step in the right direction; not all companies do this.

CONS

The price tag associated with AutoCAD is steep, considering designers, architects, and engineers, all use it perpetually. To function without major glitches such as screen freeze, slow processing speed the software needs system rich in memory and RAM. A few commands like Trim and Hatch function slowly if your computer is (in my case) old or short on available RAM. For new users, the entire interface can be quite overwhelming considering the number of commands available for varied functions. I don't really have major issues with the 2D drafting feature, as it is comprehensive, accurate and user-friendly, but somehow the 3D feature isn't the best. In my opinion, there is other software available which can produce exceptional, presentation worthy and realistic 3D renderings as most have their own ray tracing, something that AutoCAD lacks. Additionally, for complex projects, it can be challenging to update sections, elevations, and detail drawings even if there is a minor change in the plan/s. For this purpose especially, I prefer BIM software when working on large and challenging projects.

Mirza

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2021

AutoCAD is very easy to use!

First time I got introduced to AutoCAD it was in high school, second grade. Since I went to high school which is specialized for training construction workers I have used many software's for drawing and one of them was AutoCAD, which I found very easy to use. I used it for 2 years in that period of life and it was very amusing for me to find something like that to ease my handwriting , drawing and drafting work with paper, pencils, rulers and divider. I had many different school subjects and most of them required drawing and drafting, so most of my work was done by AutoCAD software using mouse and keyboard. Later on in my life I had a few encounters with AutoCAD in a company that I work for and again it was like riding a bicycle, some things and stuff are just easy to use and remember, for me it was the AutoCAD.

PROS

Accuracy and precision with really ease of use, that is exactly what AutoCAD is. With just computer mouse function and a little bit of keyboard usage the things you can draw without holding a pencil and without any need for all that drawing and drafting equipment on your table. Any kind of 2D drawings or 3D modeling drawings you can draw with AutoCAD, which helps you to visualize the objects better and that can be very helpful if you are a architect, construction engineer or a construction worker currently working on a project including building an object or infrastructure. The basic commands like Copy, Mirror, etc. can get your job done in just a few clicks! AutoCAD really saves you a lot of time. Most people would probably be interested in a price of this software and I can say that the price is pretty much good and affordable for a software of this kind, but I think the user should decide that one for it self.

CONS

Some add-ons might be hard to install, but not necessarily. File transferring sometimes can be a little difficult especially if files sizes are bigger and because of that sometimes you won't be able to load some of the received documents, so you will have to find a fix for that, but still I did not have many problems of that kind or any other. One more information that could be useful is that AutoCad's files only can be opened with its own extension which is DWG ( I don't know is that a problem for some users or not, but there it is, truth is out there).

Abdallah

Civil Engineering, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2021

Autocad is the drawing board, it's up to the designer to show more creativity

Since I started my career as an engineer, I have always or almost always used Autocad as a work tool. I must say that in the engineering environment that I lived, we only spoke the AutoCAD language.

PROS

You can do almost everything with Autocad, from the simple sketch of a room to the plan of a project without making a distinction if it is electricity, building or civil engineering. If we master the integration of georeferenced images we can even speak of GIS. I said "if we master" because in autocad we have everything we need to make our project emerge, but we need the appropriate users. It is absolutely necessary to start using Autocad on a very good basis: choosing the layers by type of object, choosing and mastering the types, having a good vision in space (but you can acquire it with time), and especially not being afraid to go back in the event of an error, something Autocad does wonderfully. We must also locate the objects we need to make our drawings and classify them in a library. For drawing plans, you have to master the scales and cartridges, something you do once and for all. There is also something that I have noticed when working a long time with other civil engineering software, and that is the power Autocad has to manage an enormous amount of information without bugging. It only depends on the hardware which must be sufficient for the installation of Autocad as for other software of its importance. Autocad offers the possibility of integrating applications like Covadis for hydraulic and VRD calculations and if you master Lisp you can automate certain tasks which depend on the type of project you want to carry out.

CONS

Autocad is a tool that adapts to all situations but which requires a continuous investment in self-training. You have to learn good habits and ask the right questions knowing that it always offers the right answers. This requires either hard-working designers or knowledgeable supervision.

Akhil