All AutoCAD Reviews

AutoCAD: User review

Engr Md. ABS

Civil Engineering, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Drawing for AutoCAD or AutoCAD for Drawing- ÔÇťAutoCAD is software 3D & 2D, I'm so recommended

AutoCAD is the first modeling software I learnt. it was a bit difficult at first but, i am happy i was patient enough to complete the tutorials because it gave me the solid foundation in 2D sketching which has helped me a lot.

PROS

Ease of use. Allows you to keep the interface the same throughout the years while still adding features. I have been using AutoCAD for over 20 years. It's the only system I would use. AutoCAD is very versatile, and I really like the user's ability to set up their own default environment that can be used for new projects going forward.

CONS

AutoCAD is difficult to learn especially for absolute beginners. also, when working on heavy files, it can be difficult to make changes on the file without the risk of your system lagging or even crashing. the user interface is frustrating but, i hope they review it and make it more interesting for users.

Reason for choosing AutoCAD

AutoCAD is very versatile, and I really like the user's ability to set up their own default environment that can be used for new projects going forward. I can found my mistake easily while draw any works.

surya

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

Autocad

autocad is a basic software and very easy to use .very easy to integrate with other tools like cadtools,e survey cad .i used this software for last 6 years.

PROS

very userfriendly software.One must have software for all civil engineers.

CONS

sometimes got an error warning while working this software and close all the project files.

francesco

Computer Hardware, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2023

Complicated and very expensive software

Very popular software but due to its high costs it encourages piracy. Nine out of ten users have an unlicensed copy. It would be enough to lower costs to have a widespread diffusion of the software in all architectural studios.

PROS

Excellent working and planning skills. Can be used for any graphics work, including 3D. The LT version is also good.

CONS

Excessive cost in both the LT version and the full version. The annual fee is also excessive. Many other design software have the same features but much lower purchase costs and optional annual fees.

Muhammad Umair

Automotive, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed September 2023

A must have for 3d parts Designers and Assmeblers

It's the base of designing firms in automotive industries. It saves time let users get a detailed bill of material reports, do stress analysis by deploying 3rd party apps. Easy to learn and convenient user interface.

PROS

It's in of the most adaptive software across manufacturing companies in automotive industry. It's integrated sub softwares and provision to use 3rd party handy tools make this more productive. It's Precise dimensions evaluation and ability to export towards CNC is a great feature.

CONS

It requires a very high resourceful computer while designing integrated parts. I would suggest to Autocad company to put some efforts to make this software a bit lighter to avoid Force restart or software hang. Although Autocad offers online rendering services but it cost you too much.

Elif

Mining & Metals, 501-1,000 employees

It is very handy.

I am working in R&D department. We are finding process solutions and have a lot of in house projects. While we are working on an electrowinning process we needed a small but important plastic apparatus and we couldn't find something like that in anywhere. Then we made a 3D drawing with AutoCAD and and get that model produced. Now we are using that apparatus. AutoCAD has no limit it is just a small example.

PROS

It is a very helpful program. It allows you to create anything as an engineer once you figure out the process. It has a library which you can add figures and items. I have a quite wide library.

CONS

It can be challenging to learn how to use it at first. But I think it is natural, at the end it is an engineering tool.

Ivan Gabriel

Machinery, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2023

Powerful and versatile but limited.

A good experience, I have used AutoCAD for more than 15 years and I can say that it is a tool that will continue to be used in the industry for 15 more years.

PROS

What I like most is that AutoCAD offers a wide range of design and drawing tools, making it suitable for simple and complex projects. You can use it to create plans, 2D and 3D designs, as well as parametric modeling.

CONS

What I like least is that its learning curve, costs, and hardware requirements can be challenging for some users. Choosing AutoCAD will largely depend on your specific needs and level of computer-aided design experience.

Melissa

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2023

Good software, but too expensive

I have use AutoCad more than 10 years. Is a very important tool for an architect

PROS

Is a very versatile program. Easy to use, especially with commands.

CONS

I like the classic menu. Not the new. Is not easy to change it

Diana

Automotive, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2023

AutoCAD Is My Choice for Designing Floor Plans

My overall experiences are very favourable

PROS

I really like the ease of use of AutoCAD

CONS

I think the library could be larger with more to choose from

Tabrez

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

World's best engineering tool

PROS

I have been using autocad since year 2006. As a developer Ihave used it for real estate website development. I like the accuracy and user friendlyness of Autocad. Image tracing feature and layering easiness made me a fan of it

CONS

It is very much costly. I am using it in my office with the license purchased by my company. It is not affordable for a single user

Reginah

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Advantage of using AUTOCAD

once you have mastered how to use it, it become very easy to use.

PROS

The software has very using tools you need as an engineer.

CONS

Its need serious learning for you to efficiently use it.

Aditya

Civil Engineering, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed April 2021

If you can imagine it, AutoCAD can draw it!

I have been using AutoCAD for more than 8 years. I have used it for CAD modeling, drafting, building design and construction detailing. I and my company has always used this program for any construction-related work. We have been using it as step one for creating a base model to be used in the Building Information Modelling process. We use it to develop Revit Model. Use it in Civil 3D for civil design. AutoCAD has always supported our needs.

PROS

The freedom that AutoCAD gives you is one of the most important. If I can imagine any drawing/component/part in my head, then AutoCAD can draw it. There is no more easy explanation for it. AutoCAD is the most versatile and compatible software for any engineering problem. It works with Revit, it works with Bentley Suite, it works with Google package, it works with almost all software. AutoCAD is a basic building blocks for drafting, design and engineering analysis.

CONS

AutoCAD does not provide full Building Information Modelling compatibility. Its content has only Geometric properties. It does not provide full parametric modeling and add a material characteristic to the model. It is simply a program that draws stuff. No intelligent modeling.

Reason for choosing AutoCAD

Compatibility with other Autodesk products. Ease of access.

Muhammad

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2019

the Backbone of every Design starts here

its a corner stone and base program i use to create designs and ideas. but now i feel people are moving to more 3D programs like Revit and AutoCad 3D , Skecth up and such.

PROS

it can be used for any type of work from making plans, sections, elevations to Drawing on the PC this is the easiest way to get an idea across the other side. i peronaly use this program to do landscape designs setting up base plans and then making layout sheets.

CONS

Expensive, updates every year but dont feel it changes much for me to buy a newer version. cant share CAD files with people that dont have it easily they need to install 3rd part programs to just view files. and the tablet version isnt easy to use.

Reasons for switching to AutoCAD

its a program used by more people and causes less problems working with different hardware

Reviewed November 2021

Great tool for design collaboration and project management

Autocad is powerful software with many uses, including project management, file organization, and collaboration among teams of designers.

PROS

I really like the way that it's intuitive and easy to use! I've learned how to use this software throughout my college career, and now I'm using it in my professional career as well. I am happy that most of my clients choose this program and not other 3D modeling software, which makes the collaboration super easy.

CONS

Autodesk's AutoCAD software offers many features whose commands you'll want to memorize if you plan to use the software efficiently.

Reason for choosing AutoCAD

BIM modeling and 3D printing are provided by these tools to give architectural models a simulated space feel.

Huynh

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2018

I have used Autocad more than 6 years

PROS

As a Cad Draftsman and 3d Designer, I have worked with Autocad in most of the time. It is useful for me to finish my deadline projects, save me a lot of time with the Sheet Set Manager function. When I didn't know about this function, I spent a lot of time to print the drawing files for my company, that's silly of me. I also love the Dynamic block, I really love it. If you didn't know about this Dynamic block function, let's try to discover it and you will see how it saved your life. But I think this function is not easy to use, I have to test it many times whenever I want to create Autocad items for my library. The other function of Autocad that I love is purge function, I don't say about the normal purge function. I want to say about purge function for a large file, it's a big problem when you use the old versions. But if you use Autocad 2013-2014, you need to install AutoCAD_2013_2014_DGN_Hotfix into your computer. Thanks for God, Autocad company combined this function in the new version.

CONS

My biggest problem with Autocad is Dimension function in Layout. When I did dimension in layout, the value was often changed automatically, for example from 250mm to 250,000mm. I didn't know why? I tried to many times to find out the reason, but I didn't succeed. Many people have the same problem like me. We really got stuck. If someone knows how to solve it, please tell me, I really appreciate it. The other problem is print in Model. When I need to print multi-drawing in Model I have to use a script, the Sheet Set Manager only works with Layout.

Marta

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2021

Pros and cons of AutoCAD

Most design studios are still relying on AutoCAD, and even if other programs (e.g. Revit) are appearing in studios, it does not mean elimination of CAD applications. Even when design offices boast that they model fully in 3D (including BIM), in fact, AutoCAD still plays a supporting role, and in some areas it may be the other way around, and it is AutoCAD that dominates as a proven and fast tool for drawing details. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

PROS

The advantages of the program include, first of all, a large number of created tools, thanks to which it is possible to design various, arbitrary elements. Thanks to the extensive library of materials, which is available to the users of the program, it is possible to select such materials and textures, which are characteristic for a particular design department (e.g. architecture and construction). In this way, the program adapts to individual user needs. All ready-made elements can be modified - you can also freely modify the created elements. The multitude of functions allows you to create truly unique, functional and great-looking designs - which is undoubtedly a great advantage. Finished files can be transferred to other formats - you can also create your own overlays, because the program has an open architecture. Many companies have already taken advantage of this possibility, adapting it to their needs. Advantages include: Easier navigation when moving the screen. Quick repair of corrupted paths to external files.

CONS

Cons: The program takes up a lot of disk space and is quite expensive.

Victor

Reviewed February 2018

AutoCad the most evolved software for Computer Aided Drawing

Through AutoCAD I was able to load data in a GIS by exporting the DWG files, drawings that were made in 1990 but have not been updated and that were required as a cartographic basis for updating the cartography of the small cities of Venezuela. From this process I have been able to make risk mitigation proposals, based on the unmodified topography of the time, they remain in force and that nowadays, it is very expensive to make a new capture. I also collaborated on a project where the parcel survey of several poor areas in Caracas was updated, everything was processed in AutoCAD and linked with photographs and legal documents through attributes management. The program is robust enough to accept around 10,500 links in a multiscale file, neighborhood, block, plot, floor. AutoCAD can interact with many apps ranging from basic photography to databases and word processing. The facility provided by AutoCAD, to import and export data makes it a fundamental tool in the processes of capture, editing, processing and maintenance of spatial data, the Drawing app is superior to the GIS.

PROS

It presents a versatile interface that allows users to adapt the menu bars to their most frequent uses, since in AutoCAD converge engineers, geographers, surveyors, surveyors, architects, interior designers, graphic designers, artists of computer animation, among others as well as the respective students and professors of the mentioned areas. Over the years they have improved the drawing commands and transformed them into simple commands to those that we had to develop by programming or repeating sequences to the users of the versions of the 90s and the first decade of 2000. It offers many facilities for the management of a great diversity of functions, with very variable scales of representation that vary from 1: 1 to 1: 25,000, adjusting to the needs of the clients. The printing of products made in AutoCAD are very easy to use, as long as you have basic knowledge of scale of representation, pen handling and intentions of the scales of colors and thicknesses. You can save the data as a pdf file, where you maintain the ability to turn off or turn on layers of information. additional to this you can also export your products to the universal dxf exchange formats or as dgn. On the other hand, you can manage information collected by means of UAVs, total station or topographic survey, data that will present the height values required for the 3D interface. You can download the product and manage the acquisition of the license online.

CONS

The 3D interface that offers a lot of similarity to the animation programs consumes a lot of graphic memory, the resources of the PC are compromised in the 3D files that have a lot of detail. Autocad does not work on open source operating systems, it only deploys on Windows and MAC. The users must know the fundamentals of pluggins, topology and scale, otherwise they will invest many hours in solving the errors caused. The cost of the license is high compared to other solutions, without underestimating those of open source, where some have taken giant steps to cover the basic needs of users. the management of the topology and the relationship of the entities drawn depend on the expertise of the user, there is no basic guide that allows you to reduce the load of erroneous data due to ignorance. The program requires a PC with good configuration, since it has innumerable functions that you may never use.

Carlos