All Bluebeam Revu Reviews

Excellent quantity survey tool

Clarissa

Construction, 201-500 employees

Reviewed February 2018

Very comprehensive pdf editing software - I'll never go back to Adobe!!!

I spend a lot less time posting changes and as-builts, but with much more professional results. I also love the time it's cut down on creating our punch lists and tracking the completion of those items.

PROS

I love that it can "read" my plans, and help me with my takeoffs. The search function can look for either words or symbols, and is incredibly useful when I'm looking for something specific. The different user type profiles are tailored to show the tools and functions that someone in that role would be more likely to use the most. It's easy to switch between these profiles, even when viewing the same file, so no matter what or how many hats I'm wearing that day, it's easy to find the tools that I need for the job I'm doing. The customizable tool box is great - I can use the existing tools, or create my own! These are handy for posting as-builts, as well as for doing take offs and estimates. I love all the short cut keys!! Instead of using my mouse to select tool options, I can simply use the "G" key to take a "photo" of a certain part of my open file, or "C" to cloud an area. I use these frequently and it really cuts down the time I spend posting changes to our drawings. There are so many tools, functions, and options, that you're sure to find everything you need for seamless and efficient construction drawing management!

CONS

At first, it was a bit overwhelming to use. There are so many tools and menus that it definitely took a little time to learn; however, Bluebeam offers hundreds of short "how-to" videos on many different topics. After watching these, and using the software for a few weeks, it got much easier.

Niamat

Civil Engineering, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Bluebeam Revu is one of the best software currently in the market

i am using Bluebeam Revu since one year, i found it very helpful in all aspects

PROS

Bluebeam Revu is one of the best software currently in the market, i found it very helpful to manage many kind of documents. i personally use it mostly for managing PDF files. its a great toll to merge many files in a single click. with its great tools of editing we prepare many kinds of presentation for our client and consultant meeting that bear fruitful results most of the time. for any documents to change any kind of text and pictures it is very handy, managing large files and to find every single topic in a simple search is the key to this software, in short i would recommend this software for all users refer to the other same kind of software in the current market.

CONS

i like all the features of this software that why we are using this software in our organization. what i like the most in it is that its very easy to edit any kind of page with the desired results. with all its text styles its more fun to use, managing huge files in a single click make it more efficient. any word or topic to find is very easy

i found Bluebeam Revu more convenient and easy with much more options

i found Bluebeam Revu more convenient and easy with much more options

JEFFREY

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Great software-Terrible customer service

The customer service-technical help is just horrendous. Their 'technicians' are just phone operators, many with very bad attitudes (if I worked for a company with these policies I'd be grumpy too!) but read on... Anything beyond the very basics like opening the program or setting up menus are completely beyond their abilities. To make matters MUCH worse they have no escalation policy at all. Read that again; a SOFTWARE company has zero escalation policy. Who you get, regardless of whether they can actually answer your question, is who you get (I was TOLD this -it's recorded too- by an operator! If they don't know something (most of the time) they put you on hold for 5-10 minutes while they go ask someone who supposedly does. Invariably there is a follow up question (or more likely, they just have the wrong answer) and so they put you on hold for ANOTHER 10 minutes. When you ask to be transferred to the person they obviously keep putting you on hold to ask, you are rebuffed. Ask harder, in fact DEMAND to be connected to a qualified tech often enough and they will revoke your service contract. Read that again, if you complain too much they will FIRE YOU instead of fix their internal problems! Eventually I was able to work out an 'email only' connection to a senior tech who actually HAS the answers, but by revoking my service, they also robbed me of my updates so I can't even benefit from all the work I've put into helping them improve their product.

PROS

It is hands down the most powerful PDF editor available today. As of v. 2018.6 they have fixed MOST of the issues that made it crash (but not quite all) and I can operate this software for an average of 9 hours a day without too much cursing at the screen. Takeoff is WYSIWYG and once you learn the product, very adaptable to whatever way you like to work. Another terrific feature is the 'slipped plans' feature where you can slipp addendum plans together with existing plans and transfer all of your current takeoff without loss. No other takeoff software allows this kind of functionality. The ability to automatically generate 'links' within the drawings (from flags to the correct page indicated by the flag) is also very valuable. Other programs DO provide this, but Bluebeam is much more accurate and faster.

CONS

The exporting function. Only allows limited functionality (.csv .xml .pdf and print) and Nemetschek refuses to work with us to provide access to the API so we can truly integrate the takeoff with our ERP system. It functions but it could be SO much more. The tech help was TERRIBLE! First, they refuse to help unless you grant them remote access to your machine ( I won't). Then they cant actually do their job. See below for a full description;

Reason for choosing Bluebeam Revu

Much more powerful, built specifically for the kind of work I do

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

The company I went to work for did not use OST and asked me to research other options that may be better. The service problem I did not discover until too late.

Audrey

Civil Engineering, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Such as useful tool

A useful tool I've been using since 2016. The private consulting industry has basically embedded this software into their workflow. Sadly, probably due to its cost, the public sector/client dont tend to use Bluebeam or they have the entry level version without all the features.

PROS

Bluebeam works perfectly with drafting and producing drawings through Civil 3D. It's quick and convenient to use for engineering drawings. One particularly great feature, is the ability to calibrate your own scale and measure quantities to scale. It is a great tool for producing markups and redlines on PDFs to share with the team. Before the pandemic, we occasionally did the markups and comments by hand, now it's exclusively all through PDF markups.

CONS

When they have yearly program version updates, they tend to change the UI around so it takes some time to relearn the Bluebeam features. For the polyline feature, it's annoying having to press enter to finalize the command and save the line drawn (especially if it's not a close polygon). I use this tool daily and it's extremely annoying when I lose my line! I would love it if they made it so a right-click during the command saves and exits so I can complete the entire command with my mouse.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

It's still important to have Adobe Acrobat as well since some (government/official) forms only work properly with Adobe.

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2023

The magic behind Bluebeam Revu. Simplifies work.

Never disappointing features. Always available help desk support. Bluebeam Revu is cool.

PROS

I would like to pass my special gratitude to the customer support team for Bluebeam Revu. A collection of very resourceful team which understands the software so well. They really assisted me in launching and integration of this software. My emails were replied on time and in the most respectful manner. They made the app easy to use for me and that's why I have recommended it to several friends who appreciates it's work too. Keep up the good work.

CONS

With such assistance from the customer support team, I find nothing hard. All the challenges are well addressed.

Ajinkya Mohan

Civil Engineering, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2021

A great software for engineering firms

I am very happy with the software. I have been using it for over an year now and I definitely recommend it to anyone who is starting off in an engineering firm. You will spend a large part of your time working with this software. It has all the bells and whistles and there is literally nothing more than you can want out of it. However, this sometimes makes it difficult to find some stuff. I would like to see an option to toggle between a simple document review option (similar to Adobe Acrobat Pro) and a detailed drawing review option. Otherwise I am very happy and it manages to surprise me everyday with the sheer amount of features available.

PROS

Primarily one might feel it's just another PDF reviewer and editor similar to Adobe Acrobat Pro, but this is more catered towards engineering jobs. It's easy to make markups on the drawings, with specific options like revision clouds, grid lines among other things. One can also make some specific markups and save them in their tool box. One neat feature is the ability to compare two documents by overlaying them on top of each other. This is especially helpful to check if their were any changes in different revisions of the drawings which can be easily missed by a normal human review.

CONS

Since it's so much loaded with features, sometimes it becomes difficult to find exactly what you needed to do. It is in such times that I miss the simplicity of Adobe Acrobat Pro, where the User Interface is clean. But then again Adobe is catered towards a general document review whereas Bluebeam Revu caters engineering firms. I would like to see an option to turn on and off the detailed User Interface to get a more simplistic Adobe like interface as required.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

I switched companies and the new company is using Bluebeam Revu for its engineering jobs. The previous company I was working for did their markups in Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Reviewed December 2019

Necessary in the Construction Industry

I have used this software everyday since joining the construction industry. Like every software there are glitches, however the benefits MAJORLY outweigh the pitfalls.

PROS

Every day I am learning about a new feature that makes life even easier in the industry. Love their takoff capabilities, measuring, stamps, and just the general fact that I can view PDFs and manipulate them. I have had VERY few complaints over the many years I have used this software.

CONS

Like all softwares, there are glitches. One bummer is the lack of integration on android phones. There was also an issue with integrating the software with an apple update; this was resolved fairly quickly though.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Mainly by need, but once I saw the benefits of Bluebeam, I was quite happy with the switch.

Reviewed February 2021

Bluebeam - a complete pdf pack

If tour are typical and Adobe or Foxit user, just try the Bluebeam revu. It owns some unique pdf features you will definitely to love.

PROS

There are so many PDf readers and editors available on the market with restricted features, and Bluebeam covers almost each and every feature. Its user friendly for editing ad commenting on PDF & almost can get accurate values for measuring the distances. Text recognizing mechanism (OCR) almost accurate for every scenario. The inbuilt converter helps us to convert our PDFs to other formats hassle-free.

CONS

I really dont have any cons regarding Bluebeam revu. It's a fantastic and complete tool for all your pdf needs. It's worth the money.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Always took some extra time for initial loading and ADOBE bot smooth enough for my day to day pdf need.

Erin

Reviewed January 2024

An essential software

Excellent, really can’t fault it and will continue to use

PROS

It’s an excellent software for so many varying uses! I mainly use it to edit documents.

CONS

It needs a large monitor as the tools take up a lot of room on the screen ideally.

Reviewed January 2022

Great Program for self-taught people

PROS

Manage pretty much any PDF Document. Customizable and user friendly interface.

CONS

This program has so many functions I know I am missing out on key and crucial aspects of it. The customer service is a bit non-existent but they will respond to emails. I think that the cost effectiveness if you learn things yourself is great, but asking for $250 for classes at the top end and $100 for classes at the low end is a bit steep.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

This program has more flexibility, but I use it in conjunction with Chief Architect.

Lap

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Blue beam review

It is my preferred PDF editor and I constantly use it to make edits

PROS

It is very user friendly and very intuitive. The dashboards are set up similar to acad and I can draw pretty well. The editing features are also top notch.

CONS

It is a bit pricey for a PDF editor. You can get adobe versions much cheaper and while it maybe less functional, the adobe programs do work ok.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Blue beam was more functional and user friendly.

Ashwitha

Government Relations, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed January 2024

Action tool for a Document editor

PROS

You will be notified via emails when you have access to project and the file.

CONS

When the system fails ,I was not able to figure out , and had to reach out to the Bluebeam team for clarity.

Reviewed September 2022

Complex PDF and MarkUp Software Tool

BlueBeam is a comprehensive solution for use in the construction industry that allows you to easily view and mark up plans and drawings.

PROS

BlueBeam is a very complex software that has extensive capabilities for creating and marking up PDF documents and it has a lot more options than the standard Adobe products.

CONS

There are so many tools available to use in the software that it can be a little hard to learn how to use them all.

Reason for choosing Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam had more functionality than was offered by Adobe.

Reviewed March 2021

Should not be an Option - Should be Mandatory

I can't imagine doing my job without access to Bluebeam. I use it that much. For that many different things.

PROS

Bluebeam is so versatile. I can create and/or modify all my RFI's, shop drawings, and detail clarifications from various professional sources - all in one package. I'm surprised at how often I find new ways to make use of the standard tools included with the software.

CONS

Bluebeam does have some issues reading some fonts. Not sure what the deal is, but some pdfs show up looking like a crude binary system.

Reason for choosing Bluebeam Revu

Versatility and price. You can't lose with this software. Easy to complex - it can handle it all.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is more stable - Adobe would crash on me. Also - a lot more features out of the box.

chandra

Civil Engineering, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed March 2022

best for pdf viewer in modeling

its very good. uses daily, its very compatible with AutoCAD Revit and other software's where its gives best pdf viewer experience and editing marking or comment session. best options are availed to make changes for document. security is high. content is preserved.

PROS

any changes in the pdf it can be preserved with the owner with date and time itself. Variety of pdf editing options like text editing . marking highlight and work sharing with others. its can be operated with number of other software's to make pdf and print setting.

CONS

nothing much but its taking some time to load file at starting of opening.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

there is limited number of options to view the pdf also they don't have much options available.

Dani

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2017

Far superior than Adobe for construction

First, let me start by saying I have the Extreme version and create forms and use the JavaScript features frequently. I switched to Revu because Adobe wasn't giving me what I needed and that was software that could automate many of the tasks I was performing at the time. For example, to process one submittal, I had to combine the pages from one file with the submittal cover page, stamp it, add the date and signature of the person approving the submittal, flatten the markups so no one could edit them, and then save them on a network drive. With Revu I was able to click one icon and do all that from inserting the page, stamping/flattening, and prompting me to save on the network. It saved me so much time! I was able to create custom stamps for all our coordinators to use.

PROS

Suited for construction work, not just documents. It lets me do so much so easily. I can overlay drawings and find where things have changed. This works for contracts too. I can overlay the pages and see if the sub revised the document at all. I can easily markup drawings without any CAD experience needed. I can create forms from PDFs.

CONS

It takes a little while to learn the program because many icons are unfamiliar at first. And because it can do so much, there are so many icons. But I was able to customize my layout so it narrowed down my available icons to just the ones I use regularly. It's only a con for the first month of learning the program. Same for creating forms. As you start to work with it, you learn the tricks to making them easily, but at first it can be difficult. Most of the functions are similar to Adobe, but the one that I had to get used to was copying pages from one document to another. I used to open two separate Adobe windows and then click and drag pages from one into another. Revu only has one thumbnail view pane available at a time, so I had to modify my steps by copy and pasting pages from one document into another.

Charlie

Reviewed June 2017

Very Good Functionality and Good Overall Performance for the Money

Our estimating team switched to this from planswift and we've had more people get on board who were doing paper takeoff. While there were definitely some pains with transitioning once we got used to the new layout we came to appreciate some of the additional features Revu has to offer. I would say planswift is a bit quicker for doing small quick takeoffs, but when we do larger jobs and especially jobs with breakouts Bluebeam starts to pull ahead. The biggest timesaver (and reason we switched) is that Revu makes it much easier to hand-off from estimating to sales (due to the fact that it uses pdf/excel files and the fact that it has the spaces feature that allows sales to provide more detailed info/schedule products by room). In addition, it is much easier to use than Adobe Acrobat (or any dedicated takeoff software) for quickly making comments/marking up PDF's for customers. Also, have to commend them for making changes based on customer feedback that greatly improved the takeoff process.

PROS

Lots of different functions (construction takeoff/room scheduling, document mark-up/review, document creation) Customization for different users/tasks through profiles Excel export of markups/takeoff Cheaper than alternative takeoff software Easy to share with others (uses .pdf files) Ability to transition from takeoff to room schedule through spaces feature (big time saver for us as we do lots of air device takeoff) Easy to combine/compare revised drawings to old drawings/takeoff.

CONS

Takes a while to get up to speed on compared to other takeoff software (all the features can get overwhelming) Takeoff functions are not as polished/fast to use as some dedicated takeoff software (although the latest update fixed some of this) Certain PDF's can take long to load/render (rare problem, but very difficult to work around when it happens)

Joey