Gusto Reviews

4.66 / 5 (2,315) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 74 times in the last 30 days

(1,718)

1,718

• Pros

• "fast and reliable service i am very pleased with them"

• "Gusto is so easy to use and has a beautiful interface for employers and employees and the customer service is AMAZING!"

• "Gusto is easy to use. The price is much less then competitiors and it brings more value. Customer service is great! "

• Cons

• "Gusto can be bogged down at times, I’ve had slight issues with on boarding information getting lost but customer service has always been quick to respond and assist. "

• "The way the line items are fed into Xero/Quickbooks is a bit off sometimes. Other than that is has been great."

• "I don't have any major complaints about this software, the only con I think of is that the contractors get paid a day late on holidays where the regular employees still get their payroll on time.. "

Browse Gusto Reviews

Lance from Pixels Down

Gusto has won me over for life.

Time sheets, paycheck stubs, tax documents for my employees are all available to them without any extra work needed by me. Gusto takes care of it al.

Pros

I love how easy it is for my employees to see their paycheck stubs, get their tax documents, and even do a early cash out option if they need a little extra money before payday. They have recently introduced time tracking, which solved another issue I had with keeping track of everyone's hours in another product.

Cons

I don't have many cons regarding Gusto. So far it has met all my needs flawlessly. The one con I would say is that the insurance process could be a little less confusing.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto has more features regarding paycheck stubs and they are adding new features all the time. Most other products seem to be stagnant.

Trevor from Inturact

Best platform for payroll, benefits & more

Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros

It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons

The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

Brooks from Engenius

An All-In-One HR, Culture, Benefits, Payroll Solution

I love using Gusto, and I know our HR and Payroll Director does as well. We use it for payroll, benefits, time off, org charts, happiness surveys, and onboarding. It's made our lives a lot easier, and the price point is well worth it.

Pros

As a user, I love having everything in one place. I can access my Paid Time Off balance, request off, see my paychecks, my benefits, and coworkers' profiles all in one place. But my favorite thing about Gusto is probably their paycheck notification emails. They're a lot of fun and always a joy to get in my inbox. It's really a fantastic all-in-one solution. And, in my opinion, it's relatively low priced. The automated monthly surveys are also a big help to our leadership team.

Cons

There's not a lot. I will say there are a few features we don't use just because there are better options out there such as time tracking. It's really simple, and if you need a more robust option connected to tasks it probably won't work for you.

Bryan from Prohaska Consulting

Industry: Executive Office

Terrible customer service, average system, Predatory Lender

The world has caught up to Gusto. It is just a run of the mill self-service payroll firm. Comparing any self-service firm to a full-service firm, the self-service firm will win on cost, though that is about it. In addition to losing on Customer Service, the constant annoying sales pitches and calls regarding HR benefits as well as the firm charging for simple improvements, such as adding paid-for time tracking is a severe detriment. The fact that it has now morphed into a Payday Lend is the last straw for me. I do not trust Gusto with my firm's or employee's data and am extremely happy that I never moved any healthcare or other benefit systems to their control. I have been with the firm since our beginning, but will be moving on to another system as soon as possible.

Pros

This is one of the many common low-cost self-service payroll solutions. It allows you to pay your Employees and Contractors and handles virtually all of the taxes and processing of payments to the taxing authorities. The interface is on par with the many other UX/UI's in the industry. As is industry standard, Employees are emailed all end of year documents automatically. The company also offers access to two-day payroll processing.

Cons

Customer Service is terrible - an absolute nightmare. When mistakes are made by Gusto, they are hard, if not impossible to fix and/or get them to admit to. The firm has attempted (and mostly failed to my knowledge) to enter the higher margin HR platform and benefits fold. The firm has also just begun predatory lending at rates advertised as 1% which are actually as high as 45.63% (per their own fine print). The Customer Service in this area (from my limited exposure) provides misleading at best and false at worst information. This used to be a great firm, but there was an initial turning point where it began to focus more on marketing than the system, which then led to the constant sales calls for HR and other insurance services, which has led now, to Payday Lending. There had been an Intuit integration issue that seems to have finally been solved. Additionally, the firm has the same problem with missed payments and 941 misfilings that other full-service platforms have, however the customer service is severely lacking and resolutions take forever. The platform also can not handle an employee working in two states (more common in the North East). The cost for paying contractors is too high which limits the usefulness of the system overall - forcing a company to keep Employee Payroll, Contractor Payments, and expense reimbursements on separate systems. I have also received tax filings from another firm as their own CSR system combined two threads and had to speak to the a

Parker from Fifth Partners Management, LLC

Industry: Investment Management

Makes getting paid and managing my retirement easy

The UI of Gusto is robust. There was only one time while working with Gusto that I didn't know how to find something: which was when I switched from being a contractor at the firm to being a part-time employee. I wasn't sure where I could find my employee paystubs and this was due to the system thinking I wanted to see the contractor's dashboard. I eventually figured it out but it would have been nice if Gusto automatically showed me the employee dashboard considering that I was recently onboarded.

Pros

For me, the integration of Gusto with my retirement savings (Guideline) is amazing. The ability for me to click on the link to my Guideline account and see that Gusto is tracking this information as well is a key functionality of Gusto that I love.

Cons

If there was some way to fully integrate my health, dental, and vision insurance into the software that would be great as well. I can see what my employer is contributing every paycheck, however, I also would like to be able to see a link to my provider on Gusto if that was possible. It would be nice to use Gusto as a one-stop-shop location (virtually) that I could see all of this information.

ANNA from Atlanta Movie Tours

Gusto is the best!

Not only the administrators love it but the employees too. It is so easy to use and they never have an issues finding exactly what they need.

Pros

Ease of use - for admins as well as employees Accessibility - no one ever has any issues finding and accessing their items Organization - gives us a place for all of our payroll needs

Cons

Nothing, it has been great. We switched from ADP and thought that we would have issues with coming from such a large payroll company but Gusto has been amazing.

Jared from Kindful

Fantastic Modern Payroll Platform

At my previous company, we didn't have any type of payroll app like this for employees. I wish I had known about it sooner so I could have implemented it there. The only other tool I've used is ADP, which was older and a bit antiquated. Gusto is much more up-to-date and the UI is so much cleaner.

Pros

Our company uses Gusto to manage payroll and it's so easy to use. Their interface is very straightforward and quickly allows you to update personal info, allowances and other payroll info. It also has a really nice monthly survey it sends out to all employees asking for feedback about how the company is doing. It's a great way to anonymously let leadership know how employees feel about the company in general and specific departments.

Cons

We use Employee Navigator to manage time off, benefits tracking and some other miscellaneous HR data. It'd be great if Gusto offered those features as well so it could be all-in-one solution rather than having to use two separate apps.

Salvador from Self-Employed Freelancer

Gusto - My HR team loves it!

Currently, I'm only managing the team overseeing Gusto's integration into our system, but as far as I can tell, they've really taken a liking to this over other similar software we've experimented with. I will keep using this software as long as I can.

Pros

After working with similar platforms - zenefits, patriot - my HR team seems to have really taken a liking to gusto. The other platforms mentioned were too bogged down with useless tools that the interface seemed too clunky and awkward. Gusto does away with all these frills and makes everything seem a little bit clearer. So far my team has no complaints.

Cons

While I do appreciate the lack of bells and whistles, there are just a few things i would add to this software. For one, I'd like to see them add a photo feature to make identifying employees a little easier on my hr team, we have a huge team of employees (a little under 400) and it can be hard to keep track of them all without something like this.

Response from Gusto

Replied January 2020

Hi Salvador, thanks so much for the lovely review! We wanted to let you know that, in fact, you *can* add employee photos to make it easier to identify them. You can do this by: Clicking People > select an employee > hover over their avatar & click edit > Upload a photo at this screen. Let us know if that helps!

Mark from Wayfare Accounting LLC

Great so far- I like it more than ADP

Great so far- I prefer them more than other providers so far.

Pros

Great customer service- they really stood out among their competitors. I also like that they cater towards online businesses and are very online-friendly; everything can be done online. Their accountant referral program is good too.

Cons

I struggled a little bit with setting up payroll for employees outside of the USA, but was able to eventually get it figured out with support. The integration with Xero has a few flaws.

referral program

Jordan from Foxy Design

Gusto, Easy to use +no worries for taxes

Once all the backend is setup, Gusto is quick to use. It requires little input besides typing in the hours worked.

Pros

Gusto greatly simplified payroll. It automatically deducted my taxes and remitted them so I didn't have to worry about incorrect calculations or missing tax deadlines. Their customer service is also excellent. The few times that I did have to contact support they were quick to respond and corrected the issues.

Cons

Gusto is a bit pricey for smaller businesses; however, it is competitive with other products out there and automatic taxes and payroll made me choose it over the alternatives.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto had better features or pricing.

Alex from eMDTec

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Pamela from Allen, Jane, & Co.

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros

Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons

Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense. Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company. Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero. I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...

Jack from Swartout Dental

Great service!

The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros

This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons

There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

The bare bones Gusto program gave great value for low cost. It is a plug and play system that requires little effort to run the payroll every other week.

Brad from Crisp

Industry: Restaurants

I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about

1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right. 2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business. 3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do.

Pros

It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm! I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Cons

I can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.

Simply the best

I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros

Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

Miriam from Mueller Bookkeeping

Want to hug Gusto

Pros

I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Cons

Some things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.

Makes Payroll and Admin Easy

Great they do really good integrations with zappier and all the major services that work well with it.

Pros

This makes payroll and administration of the backend of the business easy. Helps us stay up on the latest changes in employment issues and filing for our business and contractors.

Cons

It runs too easily in the background. If you don't stay ontop of logging back in time to time you might miss updates and changes. They do a good job of keeping you in the loop of what's going on.

Wil from Viridian Agency

Modern Day Payroll

Pros

Gusto is just on another level when it comes to payroll and personal information. To be able to access your pay, benefits, time off and view your 401K all from your account would be unheard of a couple of years back. I am able to easily go in and access all my info whenever I want without the hassle of approval or mailing anything which made moving for me stress-free. They're even creative with their fun facts of what you've been paid all year could have gotten you.

Cons

No negatives I can think of with Gusto other than the fact that I wish they existed in my life sooner. Then again I did come from a job where I need my paystubs mailed to me which was caveman technology to me.

Karla from Altitude Financial Services LLC

Super Payroll Solution for Small Businesses

This is my go-to solution for any client whose payroll we are involved with. We use it ourselves and highly recommend to small businesses. If you go through your accountant there is a discount on the subscription price. The subscription can be paid by the client or the accountant.

Pros

This is a cloud based solution with a subscription price that is less than the big payroll companies. I like that you can have employees "onboard" themselves by filling in their personal information and bank information for direct deposit. This increases accuracy and preserves the employee security. I also like that the business HAS to have the payroll tax payments withdrawn with the payroll submission thus enforcing compliance. Gusto does all the Payroll Tax Return fillings, you can log in and get them. There is no need to print or deliver paychecks, which saves money and time - employees can get their stubs and W-2 by download. It integrates with your accounting software for automated recording, another time saver that increases accuracy. Support is excellent, and they deal with any notices resulting from transactions on their watch. If payroll is the same each time you can set to autopay!

Cons

Some of my clients would like Gusto to submit garnishments or retirement payments, but that is not something they do.

SHEILA from Prime Building

Gusto? They didn't need my business any longer.

Had a good experience until we had to suspend payroll due to a lull in business (you keep getting billed whether you run payroll or not). The stipulation is you have to reactivate within the quarter if you want to continue using Gusto. Well, the end of the quarter fell on a Sunday and trying to reactivate first thing Monday morning did not work. You cannot reactivate your account for another year. Makes absolutely no sense that a few hours made that much of a difference. The were willing to lose a customer and let me walk away instead of reactivating the account.

Pros

Easy to use and navigate. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Reports are clear and concise.

Cons

Wait time for customer service is lengthy and usually requires a call back which they prompt for automatically or disconnect if the wait time is over 10 minutes. Monthly invoices are hard to find if you don't use the link provided in your email notification.

Cory from Camp Liberty

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

A Must Have!

Our small non-profit has loved being customers of Gusto!

Pros

We don't have to think about it! It lets us know when there are actions to take. We can set up our payments to our employees and even schedule sick days, vacation days, bonuses, raises, insurance, investment plans and so much more! It is awesome!

Cons

There is nothing that I have found that I can complain about. They have fantastic customer service and are able to help you quickly and effectively.

Neha from Deloitte India (Offices of the US)

Awesome payroll support for small businesses.

Pros

Gusto is a perfect and easy to use payroll portal both for employer & employees. It has a self on boarding system, for employers to send new hires their offer letter and paper work through its portal. Employees can easily update their address, direct deposit info, withholding all in one place. Previous months pay stubs can also be accessed easily. Employees can easily load W2 directly into turbo tax through its website. One can also keep track on the taxes paid. Gusto also offers detailed description and helpful tips of required information to be inputted. Its editing process is also very simple & straightforward when any changes need to be made to employee info or business features.

Cons

Gusto seems overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Also there is no invoice function, so contractors cannot submit an invoice and have their managers approve it. A separate system for contractors for invoicing needs to be maintained. Also Direct Deposit should be little faster. Customer service is also not that good.

Gusto changed my world!!

Gusto saves me so much time and worry. I know that our benefits are managed correctly and that we are always in compliance. I also know that everything on the payroll side is taken care of and if there is an issue or mistake the super amazing customer support team is ready to help!

Pros

We love using Gusto for not only our payroll but they also manage all of our benefits. Gusto managing our benefits has been such a life saver! I don't have to think about being in compliance anymore I know that they are keeping everything up to date. I get reminders when it's time to run payroll, when new employees need to sign up for benefits and when we need to renew our benefits.

Cons

Gusto has wonderful customer support the only downside for me is that when you call in you are always talking to a new person, sometimes that can make it a little challenging to efficiently get the answer or help I'm looking for, but they will help until the job is done!

Liz from Access Confidential

Finally! A quick and easy resource for paychecks.

Pros

It is so hard to find a simple platform with a clean interface when it comes Payroll but Gusto has achieved that. I have used several different programs and Gusto is by far my favorite because of the ease of use. I also love the email they send on payday that says "Hooray! You got paid today." Gusto seems to know what the typical employee wants when they log into their payroll application - as soon as you sign in there is a big blue button that says "See your last paystub", super helpful and saves time! You can also easily access your PTO time, year to date statistics on your wages, taxes, net salary, hours worked, and other helpful statistics. On just a small fun note, their graphics on their website are adorable.

Cons

Honestly I do not have anything that I dislike about this software. It is incredibly simple and reliable.

June 2015

Nicole from Noggin IT

June 2015

Head of Business Improvmenent and HR

Pros

Support. They see every issue through as if you're the most important or the only client. They're thorough and they tolerate you if you're on a learning curve (we're an Australian business setting up our US operations and health etc benefits is a new and unnatural thing for a business to grapple with). The software is flawless and usability is perfect. We run our payroll in a few clicks, and that's because we don't choose autopilot. Used to run benefits thru Zenefits who made a lot of errors, and zenpayroll stepped in without hesitation or complaint and ran every correction. It's complete, not half cooked. It's how software and support should be done.

Cons

We are a global business, and things are done differently in other countries for payroll. For instance, we don't need to go thru the pain and inefficiently of supporting benefits in other countries. Plus there is different legislation and tax setups etc. I wish zenpayroll was configured to support payroll in other countries so companies like ours growing elsewhere could benefit from One-payroll without considering the bigger and clunkier vendors. If you're growing, most likely you're growing globally or planning to. Otherwise it's perfect.

Love Gusto

It is an engaging payroll software and we really enjoy using it.

Pros

The best part about Gusto is the simple layout, to the employee. It is fresh, fun and easy to navigate. There are animations and you can really store a ton of useful information on the employee page, including pay history, position information and tax info. Also, the bi-weekly pay email is fun and energizing.

Cons

The only issue I have ever encountered with Gusto is the way the paycheck renders when you click to view it. It often expands past the edge of the screen and makes it hard to view. Luckily, there are a few ways to review this information.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use, cost, better solution for a small business.

Daniel Shatzkes CEO from Gig Gear LLC

Industry: Music

Gusto makes payroll stupid easy

Gusto makes payroll incredibly easy, makes integrating with Quickbooks simple, and makes the entire payroll process very transparent. I can add bonuses or commissions to any employee for any payroll period and I get an easy breakdown of where all the money that is drawn out of my business account is going. Any time I've needed help or support Gusto has been fantastic either on the phone, via email or with Live Chat. I don't know how other payroll companies do things but I know that I love Gusto.

Pros

Taking care of payroll each month takes literally just seconds. My company is small, so maybe a larger company with a lot more employees might take a little longer. But probably no more than a couple of minutes. Plus, I love how Gusto gives an entire breakdown of what is being paid and to who so you can see exactly how much the employee gets and how much does to his/her taxes, and also how much in payroll taxes the company is paying.

Cons

The monthly price is the same regardless of whether or not you use a lot of the extra benefits and offerings. For example, Gusto offers a way to offer employees 401k benefits or health benefits. It would be nice if there were a slightly less expensive option for micro-businesses that don't necessarily make use of all those benefits.

valerie from emerald employment

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Gusto gets payroll done

So far gusto has been a good experience. The customer service has been really helpful at answering questions I have on the fly.

Pros

I like that all employees have access to their gusto accounts and can change their personal information and look at paystubs on their time instead of mine.

Cons

I do not like that when pay stubs and check are printed out they are not in any particular order. I would prefer them to be alphabetically. I also do not like that the pay roll menu does not allow to make multiple payrolls at one time. So if I run my direct deposit one day, when I run my checks, it is on a separate payroll as "offcycle"

cary from toyota

I think this is one of the best software programs if you have to do payroll and filing

Awesome software for keeping your payroll on point and it also allows employees, contractors etc etc to look at all their past payroll history any time they want. You can handle all kinds of situations with this software including notifications with money deposits, or if you need to turn in a time off notice you could do it through this software,

Pros

First of all I believe Gusto is more user friendly than any type of Quickbooks related software program. This program will literally keep your payroll organized and on point It actually gives me the exact amount of payroll that I owe every other week which helps me stay on track and eases up some of my frustrations crunching numbers and physically doing it myself. It literally does everything for you once you have the specific information entered, especially filing and organizing your payroll

Cons

It is priced a little bit more than similar programs but that is ok because I know for a fact with everything you ever buy that you will always get what you pay for. You want to be cheap, you get cheap software that you have to replace or winds up being junk, you want to spend a little extra your not paying out the butt later on new software.

Robert from Pinellas Computers

Give it some Gusto

Gusto is a wonderful product. the integrations with services and the ability to customize your W4 digitally when things change is great. The system is smooth with no hiccups. The benefits section is great. having the ability to see contributions at a glance helps. the only lacking feature is Calendar Synchronization to know when people are off and on.

Pros

Great Time Clock feature. Way better than our old choice. the system is pretty, fluid, and we dig the fun facts they include in the submenus. I did not know i could buy that many bananas.(only users will get it.)

Cons

I don't have any dislikes for gusto. It works great. the only issue is it does not give wider access to see multi location sites employee schedules.

Finally a payroll system that anyone can use and understand!

Payroll is no longer such a confusing and tedious process. I feel like I am back in control of my company finances with Gusto.

Pros

I absolutely love their support team. I have encountered many questions and potential problems on my end over the years, and their support has been super quick to reply to any of my concerns. They will go out of their way to help you navigate your payroll issues. Gusto is very easy to use and it gives me a safe and secure way to promptly fill out required forms and meet tax deadlines. I feel like my payroll process is essentially on auto-pilot now, so I'm saving time and money. The checklist approach to setting up accounts makes things very easy right from the start and the dashboard lets you know what actions are needed.

Cons

I wish I would have discovered Gusto sooner.

Lisa from Mighty IT Computer Repair

Gusto greatly reduces the H/R-Payroll-Hiring headaches

Gusto really has saved me from one of the worst jobs in my small company. The software takes care of employee onboarding, firing documentation, reviews and pay raises -- even remembering employee birthdays and allowing me to send an ecard! Every time I've "handed a job over" to Gusto, the software has accomplished something brilliantly that I spent too much time on and probably did a lousy job on. It's great!

Pros

It does all the filing of all the government's paperwork requirements, with hardly any input from me. It makes all of the employees' records available to them any time - no more finding and copying old W-2s on April 15th! Payroll suddenly went from the top of my hated chores list to the bottom! It's so easy to do a payroll, view the cash requirements, correct mistakes in the payroll, and do direct deposits, that I hardly ever worry about the payroll anymore!

Cons

It's a little too expensive, the "Reports" section is a little limited and arbitrary, and I can't correct or add things after their deadlines, even if it wouldn't change the forms they've already sent in. The benefits are so excellent, however, that they outweigh the problems many times over.

Christine from Redhammer Roof Group

Great product!

Gusto is great. They are very helpful when you have questions. They have lots of items that you can add on in the system to help build a benefits package and it is painless.

Pros

Gusto is great. It integrates with our accounting software and time keeping software. Makes running payroll a breeze.

Cons

Nothing, so far it seems to be great and has been growing with our company.

Gusto is the Hero Payroll System We All Need

Pros

Gusto is so easy to use and so user-friendly! We had a previous payroll system before Gusto and every payroll cycle we had to wrestle with the system to make sure pay was out on time. Gusto is so much better! It sends updates and alerts directly to your email - our old system forced you to log in to see an alert so unless you logged in every day, you would never know if something was off!

Cons

The only complaint we have about Gusto is that the price is very competitive until you start adding more features. Even the base package of Gusto has quite a few features which work great for us but I can see how if you want a more complex, intricate system, the price could go up pretty quickly.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto was much more user-friendly and the customer service was far superior to the other options we explored.

Hugo from Align Chiropractic

The Simplest Software For Running Payroll!

Gusto has made it seamless running payroll for our business. Additionally, when hiring new employees the onboarding and simplified process of adding new team members has been a plus.

Pros

I am big on ease of use and user experience and what I love most about Gusto is how simple it is to use. From the onboarding process to running payroll for our employees. What's also a fantastic is the reporting to the IRS and helping us stay on track with running payroll.

Cons

To be honest, there isn't much I would say I like least about the Gusto. It's been a pleasurable and uneventful experience utilizing Gusto as our payroll provider.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Loved the user interface and the extensive features provided by Gusto.

Raghu from Harrinii

Great product for payroll

Gusto Zen payroll does everything for my business, this software is face is getting access to high-quality, yet affordable, software, particularly in HR for our business, it as given a huge demand for my business, it can be used in health sector also, thanks for such a wonderful product, gusto gives a lot more packages for your needs, it's an ideal management online payroll gives our business to gain profits...

Pros

Gusto provides a cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management solution for businesses ,Gusto helps in handling payments to employees and contractors and saves time, it can manage electronically as of paper work to the client needs, Gusto benefits administration and compliance management platform. Designed to serve mainly small businesses across world , gusto mainly works for payroll system and human resource for your business i strongly recommend this software it's number one product for your businesses

Cons

Gusto lacks one con, everything is good but it doesn't provide mobile app to easily access thorough it for Android or ios, website is good and easliy maintained, try to improve this, over all no issues...

Beth from The FurKid Company

Gusto is a miracle tool for payroll!!!!

This software has made payroll and hiring such a breeze! I used to dread new hire processing- but with Gusto the new hire do all of the work! And the interface makes it totally easy for them. =)

Pros

I am obsessed with this product and the support staff that comes with it! I have tried Intuit and ADP before finding Gusto. Gusto was a total game changer for me. The software is easy to use and really makes payroll a breeze for those of us who have businesses to run! You can upload a CSV file with that week's hours and any other payments and BOOM- payroll is done. I also like that they give me the exact amount I owe each week for that payroll- no monthly or quarterly surprises to budget for. And I have opted to roll in my workers comp payments as well. SO EASY. They also offer AMAZING onboarding options that mean every time I hire, I only enter a new employee's email address and they do the rest. I then verify that things look ok against their ID, e-sign the i9 and it's back to business for me. Everything looks modern, fresh and fun- and that makes my company look polished and put together! I literally do not know how we managed while using the other companies. We love Gusto!!!!

Cons

It might be a tiny bit more expensive than some of the other guys, but those dollars are completely worth the time saving and error avoiding features included in Gusto. And their customer service far exceeds the other companies as well.

Amy from Shop For Good

Makes payroll easy for a newbie

Pros

As a small business owner, I just hired my first couple employees last year. I was completely new to the whole thing, and was a bit intimidated by all the requirements of doing payroll. After looking into a few payroll software options, I went with Gusto and am glad I did. It walked me through everything, in a very user-friendly way. It has helpful articles about the various requirements of payroll taxes, steps for hiring employees, forms to fill out, etc. The setup took a bit of time, but was a pretty reasonable process. Now that it's all set up, I don't have to spend hardly any time at all on payroll. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes every two weeks on payroll, and then don't have to think about it. Gusto handles all the payroll taxes (filing, paying, etc), and employee direct deposits. It honestly couldn't be easier.

Cons

I had a little bit of a problem getting my state taxes account set up. For some reason, it was giving me error messages about account numbers and things. Customer service was able to help me through it, and figure out what the issue was on their end. That was the only part of the process that wasn't totally painless. The only thing I wish this software had is a timecard functionality.

Brooka from Restoration Family Chiropractic

I LOVE THIS PAYROLL SOFTWARE!

The benefit with Gusto is all the reminders that it sends to your email (and never too many emails sent). It has allowed me to manage and organize all my employees and their preferences in one spot while allowing me to run payroll and file tax forms with ease. I am new at running a business and Gusto has really helped with the learning curve!

Pros

This software has not only made my life easier when it comes to payroll because it's so simple and easy to use, but it has allowed me to learn more because of all the tutorials and explanations that it gives. If I have a question, I don't have to hop on the phone or a chat line to get my questions answered because they have everything spelled out and explained for the "regular" non-tax/accountant professional.

Cons

I have no current complaints about this software at this time because it meets all my needs COMPLETELY!

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto had better pricing and was MUCH more user friendly when it came to how it was organized and the appearance.

Best payroll software i've used by far

This has helped me organize and group all my payroll and benefits so easily and in proper order i would be lost without this software

Pros

It not only makes doing payroll a brease, which for me was something i dreaded most, but it has all your company's benefits at hand for easy access. Makes a task that used to be such a stress so simple and easy to accomplish, i can't imagine going back to doing payroll without this software.

Cons

I can't think of one con the only thing that would make this software better would be if it were free.

Robert from EcoReco Corporation USA

Cheapest, fastest, best service

Pros

Their pricing is not only competitive, but scales linearly with the size of your organization - beating many other services handily price-wise for smaller companies, especially if you run bi-weekly or weekly payrolls. The ability to pay Gusto by month rather than by the payroll gives me flexibility in paying our employees more frequently without added cost. To top it all off, their customer service reflects their aim of taking on their relatively enormous competitors - they have an incredible support team.

Cons

They don't show net pay until after you hit submit. It makes grossing up bonuses a pain, but that's ultimately not a big deal. Plus, for how few times I've had to do it, it remains a possibility that they've got this functionality now and I'm just not aware of it. The area for viewing prior payrolls also bothers me, as I'd prefer something less flashy and more strictly functional (don't gate viewing prior payrolls by making me click to scroll the list down, Gusto, it's aesthetically pleasing but functionally it's an unnecessary hassle).

John from Columbia Property Management

Payroll Made Easy

Overall very simple software to use. I can always find what I need and get a nice email every pay period showing the breakdown of my paycheck.

Pros

This software is cloud-based and simple to use for users. It has a nice dashboard layout and quickly able to navigate from the left-side display. You can easily find your paystubs all the way back to your start date and see year to date statistics about your pay, benefits, and deductions. There is also a tab for your benefits so if you have a 401K or HSA/FSA you can see what, is contributed to those. Easily update your state and federal allowances yourself and add any additional withholdings with the click of a button. Also, have a documents section that has all of your prior year W-2s. One nice feature is the giving section. If you give regularly to a charity you can have it deducted directly from your paycheck.

Cons

Like many cloud-based applications we use in our office the calendar is all right but not useful. It would be nice if they were able to integrate their calendar into our office calendar (Google calendar).

Jenny from Bill Good Marketing

GREAT SERVICE FOR SMALL BUSINESSES

Overall, it's a GREAT system for small businesses and startups. It's really simple to get up and running and really simple to process payroll. Overall, we like the functionality.

Pros

It's afforadable and easy to use and especially functional for small businesses or start-ups.

Cons

Their PTO/ Vacation policies are clunky and hard to work with. And their nav menu has too many clicks back and forth. They don't handle the delivery of year-end documents (W2s).

Ethan from Easy Agent Pro

Gusto makes tracking my pay a breeze!

I wish my previous employers had used Gusto so I could have been introduced to it sooner. I will definitely be a little upset if I ever change jobs and my new employer doesn't use Gusto. It's just so handy and does EXACTLY what I need it to do.

Pros

There's so much I like about Gusto. Being able to track my paychecks digitally has helped me budget properly for the first time in my life. It was easy to set up direct deposit, and even get my paycheck split into different accounts. We also just recently switched to Gusto's time tracker for clocking in and out. Taxes are ramping up, and Gusto allows me to view my W2's online and even integrates directly with TurboTax to import my info quickly and easily. I filed my taxes in 15 minutes thanks to Gusto.

Cons

It would be nice if Gusto had a dedicated app for mobile phones to use the time tracker for clocking in and out, as right now you can only use the website.

An HR-solution revelation for employees

I wish the HR solutions at my previous companies had been as helpful as Gusto has been. So many other providers create such needless headaches when looking for the most basic employment (pay, benefits, insurance, 401k, etc.) information. Gusto's been a revelation.

Pros

As an employee, it's been such a revelation using Gusto. It's so easy to get so many HR-related things done (check pay stubs, change tax exemption status, see benefits, etc.) in a friendly, well-designed solution that it's mind-boggling that some of the older, entrenched HR solutions have been getting away with such a painful UX for so long. It's one of those companies where they really seem to lean into their brand promise in every little interaction... even when I emailed them to ask a question about COBRA coverage, they responded sooner than expected with a friendly, personalized, helpful response. It felt like I was talking to someone who represented the company and genuinely cared about my experience with them. (Unlike, say, an outsourced call center person.)

Cons

I don't know what Gusto costs relative to the competition, so I don't know what the ROI will be for you, but frankly I haven't run into any frustrations with Gusto, yet. It's been nothing but pleasant surprises.

May 2015

Alex

May 2015

There's a reason why they call it ZenPayroll!

After trying out the Big Guys is payroll I was lucky enough to stumble upon Zen. Sign up was easy and implementing it into our business was a breeze. Everything can be done online so it saved a number of hours getting important data into the system. They also have an amazing contractor portal where independent professionals, temp staff and other workers can see their whole payroll history. My favorite part about ZenPayroll (other than the incredibly great support) is that they handle all of the filing for you. Working with the EDD can be a paperwork nightmare and ZenPayroll takes all the pain out of it. I love getting our quarterly filing notices that say "No action is required from you at this time." It's like having a dedicated person to handle all of that boring, yet necessary and legal paperwork of hiring, taxes and payments, who always knows what to do and when. I truly believe no one does payroll for small business better than ZenPayroll.

Pros

Quick. Easy. Efficient. Completely cloud based. All the filing and heavy lifting done for you. Great user interface and paying employees and contractors is super easy. I also really like the price. You get everything for one flat rate, and you only pay for the employees that you have and the contractors you pay for that month.

Cons

I can't say that I have "cons" with ZenPayroll, but a neat feature would be to add custom check printing. Currently if you have quickbooks they have it setup, but it would be neat if you could order checks from ZenPayroll to run through your company printer that were formatted just the way you needed them. We have our own template that works now, but if they had their own checks that would be better. I would also add multiple pay rates for employees (like regular rate vs training rate) but I believe this might be somewhere on their roadmap.

Jennifer from Springbrook Family Dentistry

Love Gusto!

I definitely recommend Gusto, both for larger and smaller companies. It seems like they are always making efforts to improve and add new functions to their service.

Pros

I used to use Paycheck and had nothing but issues with them, nevermind the high fees. Gusto is incredibly easy to use, has friendly customer service who actually resolves issues in a timely manner and is reasonably priced

Cons

During ng busy season it can be difficult to receive quick responses to questions. Usually hold times are too long so I will just email and it takes a day or two for a response. Still better than Paychex.

Claire from Carvana

Gusto staff can't keep up with demand

I think Gusto has great ideas and will eventually get there. There needs to be a better system in place for pushing data to insurance carriers. Gusto needs better communication around what is happening and what the timeline will be for fixes. That takes more staff and a better trained staff.

Pros

It's nice to have a benefits dashboard and payroll system in one. Gusto makes the new hire paperwork process so simple and reminds me of birthdays and anniversaries.

Cons

Our benefit renewal was an absolute nightmare. There were tons of mistakes made by the Gusto team. It's obvious that information needed by carriers is being manually typed by someone at Gusto. Employees names were spelled incorrectly on insurance cards, addresses were wrong, the contribution table (company vs employee contributions) were completely off. We had to restart open enrollment twice for a company of 35 people. As the head of HR, I was embarrassed.

Nichole from Wild Me

Perfect for start ups

Overall its a valuable option for businesses just starting out that want the features a corporation would have, but at a great price and with fee limitations.

Pros

I love that this payroll software is easy to use, and decently priced for the average startup. It has HR management, payroll and benefits all dolled into one. The interface is well designed and its enjoyabke for an administrator and for employees to use. One of my favorite, small things about gusto is that each payday you get an email that says woohoo you got paid and a paystub is in your inbox waiting for you. As a business owner, you can automate payroll which is a necessity because you have a lot on your plate already running an entire business. Gusto has your typical year end forms and connects/integrates with other HR platforms that focus on non-payroll activities so its a win win.

Cons

Gustos benefits are only available in certain states, so if youre lucky you can use this feature, and they are rolling out more but it takes time.

Yessenia from Bluebonnet Commercial Management.

Gusto, and my pay.

It definitely solves PTO problems. People in the company not knowing how much they have, because they don't keep track themselves. No worries Gusto does it for you. I think just having an app where you can see what is going on with your pay, break down, and vacation time is amazing. It can even show you what you would make in overtime, double-overtime ect..

Pros

I truly like Gusto for a number of reasons. One would be the easily accessible W-2 from my work, that they uploaded on Gusto and gave me immediate access to it. It made it easy to send it off to my accountant to file my taxes. Second would be the breakdown of my paycheck. I can see it every week in the app, and see what I made, what is getting taken out, even how much PTO I occluded that check. Third would be the PTO request. It is super simple, I pick my dates, put on the notes why I am requesting these days off. It then sends it to my Manager, and she can approve it remotely. These are just a few of the top features I love.

Cons

Nothing. It is simple, easy and that's all I need.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,232 reviews