Zenefits Reviews

4.13 / 5 (633) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 175 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "Great value for the price! It is easy for our employees to navigate. I like the process for open enrollment. "

• "We use this software for one of our clients and I love the benefits integration. The pto is super easy. Onboarding is so easy."

• "Its ease of use. The interface is clean and anyone can understand it quickly. "

• Cons

• "Some features of the product still require some admin work. It makes a great user interface but not the backend filing, compliance testing, etc that would eliminate some admin work."

• "Reporting features could be improved- it is something I see Zenefits working on, but I still end up having to massage the reports in excel to get what I need. "

• "I would like to see some greater customization around the new hire process. The core product is great but I don't see constant innovation in new offerings."

Browse Zenefits Reviews

Shae from nFocus Solutions

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons

I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Best product year-over-year when I go to market. Best in terms of price point and capabilities.

Kelsi from Weidner Construction Services

Zenefits Review

our overall experience with zenefits has been positive. The on boarding tools offer a wide variety of options an customization that really make the initial process a lot easier.

Pros

The part that we liked most about zenefits is that it gave us one place to keep all employee documents. We also like that we could set up an employee by using the on boarding (hiring) service through zenfits which allows the employee to start their profile an also fill out needed employment documents electronically.

Cons

Initially we thought that the time card piece of zenefits was something that we were going to be able to use and would be rather handy for us. We quickly learned that Zenefits has not yet set up this module in a way that truly works for subcontracts who have to track employee's time by job number and phase code both. It can be done but takes a large amount of manual entry on the administrators part which then defeats the purpose of using such a tool.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

we choose zenefits over bamboo because of the time card application.

Ashley from St Augustine Youth Services

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great HRIS platform

Pros

There are many pros to Zenefits! Offer letter generation, custom fields for user specific information that needs stored, custom reports, Club Zen, the HR library and much much more! Anytime I've needed assistance customer service has been prompt and helpful. There are also tutorials and an extensive implementation period to make the end user comfortable with the system

Cons

If I had to list a negative it would be.... nothing!

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Cost and that sales was not overly pushy when we were selecting what package/a la cart items we wanted

Sandy from Enfusion

User Friendly and Intuitive

The efficiency of Zenefits when it comes to onboarding is a huge timesaver. We're able to send employees key information they need before and after they start working with us with no manual work. I cut down on a few hours of work per week with this feature!

Pros

Zenefits is super simple to learn how to use, both for Admins and for Employees. My employees love being able to use the software for benefits enrollment, time off, and other requests. It's easy to teach someone how to use it because honestly, I don't really have to--the interface is really simple and easy to understand. Saves me a ton of time as an HR professional!

Cons

The Time Off reporting could be more robust, but this will come with time. As our company grows we're looking to pull more quick reports on PTO accrual and other balances, and some of the values we're looking for aren't readily available. There have been some changes in this area though, so the developers recognize how the system should be improved.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

The cost of Zenefits and the intuitive user interface sold us the most. We felt like we got the most value with the best user experience for our employees. The optional integrations were also a huge plus for us, like our 401(k) provider.

Tiersa from Wally & Son Automotive

Stay Away - save yourself the headache, it's not worth the hype.

I regret doing business with them. Even though I knew I was signing a year contract, and after many attempts at getting our taxes properly filed I felt I had enough valid issues and things we had been promised that they did not follow through on but they refused to let us out of our contract. We ended up switching mid year [which is not ideal] to another vendor and we had to pay the remainder of our contract to Zenefits even though we didn't use them for the last 8 months. Even the tax issues that we were still dealing with months later it was really difficult to find an email address to send to support to get our tax issue fixed - once you tell them you don't want to process your payroll through them they cut you off and you can't call the fake number either. It's been horrible and I am OVERJOYED THAT WE NO LONGER HAVE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. The only reason I left the vendor BEFORE them was because we had outgrown them, we needed more features and functionality than they could provide. We have since moved on to better.

Pros

Very little. We signed a year contract, and switched after 4 months because we had so many legal and tax issues that they caused.

Cons

1. The set up process was a nightmare - it took weeks because the system kept saying a certain part was done and a week later I would get an URGENT email that that part still had to be completed. 2. Several items I was guaranteed at sign up - and I have in writing - for pricing and functionality, were later denied to us. Providing proof of what we were told provided no further help. 3. There is no "real" phone number. You can call tech support, but all they will say is they will have "that department email you within XX number of hours" Many times it was up to a week, and often the issue was not resolved because no matter how we explained it they didn't understand the issue. And all support is handled through email no matter what, even if a phone call would SAVE HOURS OF TIME! 4. The pre- and post-tax items were entered into the system, come to find out they didn't classify them properly so the taxes were not calculated correctly. 5. The FEDERAL and STATE TAXES were filed incorrectly and we had tax notices from both that we owed money past due, then we ended up getting a small refund because one was paid twice. The state taxes for the first quarter of the year were NOT FILED AT ALL, even though they told me they had done so. 6. The tax reports are NOT AVAILABLE in your portal, you have to specifically request them - this to me makes no sense. 7. There is more but this will do for now.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

We were guaranteed several things [in writing] that they later failed to honor.

User friendly solution, good experience overall

We were able to get a good grasp of our employee timekeeping, and it saved us a lot of time processing payroll each week.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to manage payroll. I also really appreciated all of the resources for HR handbooks, job descriptions, performance reviews, etc. Customer service was great, and really flexible with some of my out of the box requests. Having our employees clock in via our ipad app was handy. The mobile features were rough at first, but are coming around nicely.

Cons

The templates for new contractors and new hires were rather lackluster. It was also a little clunky and almost overly simplistic to pay contractors. Tax prep wasn't the smoothest.

Katherine from Lensrentals

Industry: Photography

User Friendly Solution

I use Zenefits daily and really do enjoy it. There are a few bug fixes that need to happen, but overall I do really like the product.

Pros

Super user friendly and you can easily find whatever you are looking for

Cons

The app is very buggy with clock in/out feature

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Bamboo HR didn't have everything we were looking for

Aimee from Branches, Inc.

One of the BEST HRIS systems on the market

I absolutely loved this HRIS. As a consultant, I have worked with other organizations since that are using other HRIS/payroll tools and greatly miss my Zenefits heyday.

Pros

NEARLY EVERYTHING. From benefits administration to onboarding to PTO tracking it literally organized and kept almost all areas of HR automated in a user-friendly, highly customizable manner.

Cons

We had to give up our long-time relationship with our broker. That was part of the deal. We worked through their 3rd party relationship for ATS and performance management platforms, but we liked both tools, so it didn't feel awkward.

Jenna from EmeSec

Great Value for a Great Service

Pros

Zenefits has been steamline out open enrollment and Onboarding. Saving us time and money

Cons

Payroll and payroll tax could use a little work.

Amber from Leap Clixx

Great to Use as an Employee

Overall as an employee using Zenefits in a small business, it's a great solution for consolidating our HR benefits and management. I've personally liked using it for about four years!

Pros

As an employee who uses Zenefits to manage my time off, benefits and more, I love using it! They make the features easy to use and easy to understand, plus it's nice to have one place to look up all of my administrative activities and policies.

Cons

I hear from my boss who manages our businesses HR duties in Zenefits has had a bit of trouble with support. Personally from using the platform as an employee, I don't have any complaints!

Shae from nFocus Solutions

Pros

Cons

I wish the performance management module was baked into the subscription versus an add-on cost. The transition to a new brokerage, OneDigital, has come with its challenges, but I appreciate that the leadership teams both with Zenefits and OneDigital have been willing to personally speak with me to determine how gaps can be bridged to improve my experience as the employer.

Mike from James Publishing

Industry: Publishing

Feature-Packed HR Platform

Pros

At our small company, we use Zenefits for basic HR administration like onboarding and enrolling employees in health benefits. It has saved us a lot of time over the past couple of years, particularly with the elimination of paper forms and the fact that it communicates with our healthcare provider. There are a lot of features on the platform and more seem to pop up every few weeks. The recent redesign has also made things a little easier for both administrators and employees. Our staff members also like the Time Off functionality in the system, whereby they can submit vacation or work-from-home requests and managers can then easily approve them directly from an email notification. Recently, the activation of the ClubZen area has given us a chance to interact with other Zenefits customers and provide direct feedback to the Zenefits team, which is an interesting idea and one that gives us a sense of belonging to the community at large. Monetarily speaking, we also think that the system is a great value for the price, even if we don't necessarily use every single feature available to us with our subscription.

Cons

The platform itself works well for the most part, though occasionally I'll run into areas where setting up a policy or enabling a feature seems a little esoteric and not too straightforward. Zenefits has also been working hard to improve their customer service, which has been a sore point for quite a few customers in the past. For this year's open enrollment, for example, I had to specifically reach out to the customer service team to get the process started, and was bounced around a little bit before landing with a benefits advisor. However, things were smooth after that. I think if these factors can be improved, the system will be really great.

Lauren from French Broad Chocolates

Zenefits Review - French Broad Chocolates

It would be great if there were a way to require that employees enter bank account information and disable the paper check option all together. I believe this is legal in North Carolina, where we are located, as long as the employee receives a pay stub. It would also be amazing if there were a built in team communication portal. We currently use GSuite to build Groups which can encompass non-Gmail email addresses, as well as HotSchedules. It is a bit difficult to always be adding folks' emails to so many different systems. If Zenefits could track employee reviews based on their position/wage changes, that would also be amazing! That's all for now.

Pros

The aesthetic of the site is nice. The overall idea of employee/administrator shared duties is nice. The onboarding process is almost as efficient as I think it could be and the insurance function works pretty well with some exceptions. The multiple integrations with other software are also vast and offer many options for integration.

Cons

Does not integrate with QB Manufacturing Edition. Does not offer multiple job roles/pay rates (this keeps us from further exploring any timekeeping or alternative payroll integration). Org chart does not allow for multiple owners/CEOs. Does not allow for tracking of certifications or training for employees. Insurance deductions aren't correct after 2 fixes...still waiting on support for this. There is no general alert system upon logging in, as there was on the old platform. I-9 verification does not require employees to upload enough documentation. i.e. they can upload a driver license and not the 2nd form of ID, so when I receive the request to verify, there is only one form of ID there and I have to chase them down for the 2nd. If they do go into Zenefits to upload another form of ID, it is difficult to navigate.

Teresa from Child Development Center

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Zenefits has been great for our company!

Pros

Zenefits has been a great way for a small business, like us, to ease into technology. It has really great and helpful tools, the cost is far less than alternative options, and their customer support is usually excellent. It has helped cut down benefits paperwork tremendously, kept us ACA compliant, streamlined our hiring process, and we were able to customize other areas (such as documents) to help us track policies & trainings. We're still finding ways to be able to customize it to work for our company. So with all of the options we use and new ways we are able to customize it, the cost continues to go down once it's all factored into the equation.

Cons

Zenefits is a fast moving company, so sometimes changes come fast and furious. They usually are good changes, so that helps ease the burden. However, sometimes it can feel like I just learned how to use something and then it changes. But I guess that's also just the new normal. Other than lots of changes, I really don't have a lot of cons. When I come across issues, I contact a customer service rep and things are usually taken care of. I'm sure there are little things I would tweak here and there, but nothing significant that would make me not recommend using this product.

Venugopal from Max Life Insurance Company Limited

With the introduction of Zenefits!! Get most of your HR Problems Released!!!!

Pros

In todays life, a very big problem that big companies are facing is that HR is not manageable. I have seen a lot of companies that are facing this problem extremely. So, to overcome these barriers and make the flow smooth a brilliant software had been launched named: ZENEFITS!! It provides a platform that can be easily understood and can be used by an ordinary person. Great Na!! It also stores time and attendance of its users and supports Integration. One great thing is also that it provides a completely automated and electronic employees on-boarding services. It integrates all the functions of HR management under one roof only. This one is Awesome Guys!! It also supports reporting and filing data of ACA as well as it also supports customer service.

Cons

This application excludes international payrolls and having some problems in permanent storage of details of employees (Like mailing address of employees). Sometimes very awkward problems arise like managers are not able to access all the details of employees etc. Its Insurance Integration is also very bad as well as it provides only a few reports that are almost of no use. In comparison to its competitors, its prices are a little bit higher which also increases its cons. It has no performance management tools as well as it is not full HRIS, it is a basic system so use according to your needs.

Kate from American Custom Contractors

Excellent HR platform for growing companies

We are able to manage Benefits, Payroll, Performance Management, Time Off Requests, and Paperwork all from one system.

Pros

This program ties together most of our HR needs into one platform, making it easier for HR staff and employees to access the information they need. We process our payroll through Zenefits and they offered some 401k third party company options, which allows those benefits to be seamlessly integrated.

Cons

Support can be difficult to get online at times. They have a chat feature, which is most convenient for me as an administrator, but the wait times can be long or the chat request may be converted over to an email. This is a problem I have noticed over the past 3-4 months.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Ability to integrate many third party options.

Kath from Look Listen

Great for small or growing companies

We have used Zenefits for almost five years now, and it's had its ups and downs but it is still a solid solution that is easy to use, offers a multitude of solutions and helps us in areas that we just do not have expertise (like payroll tax).

Pros

- If you get insurance through Zenefits, the payroll option is extremely easy. Some integrations offered for 401k. - One Digital is a vast improvement as a Broker for insurance. Easy back and forth. - HRIS interface is easy to use. - Offers many different solutions for HRIS.

Cons

- Needs more admin user privileges. Right now, there is just a superadmin and then a few lower level admins and basic users, but superadmins are the only ones that can fully oversee the performance management aspect. - More oversight in performance management software. - In performance management software, currently a 180 review is actually structured as a 90 degree. - Support needs work, but I think they are working on it. When it comes to tax payments and payroll issues, it tends to take the longest to resolve.

Diana from Community Food Share

I have used many HRIS products in my career - I love the simplicity and sophistication of Zenefits!

Pros

There is so much to love - ease of configuration, plug and play functionality, instantaneous user access, complete control of documents, transparency to users, intuitive and consistent interfaces - the back-end touches that make this system so simple to use. New hires consistently comment on the simplicity of their onboarding and the professional appearance of the documents and emails they receive through Zenefits. I also appreciate that COBRA and other compliance requirements are seamlessly handled for me. I can be an HR department of one with Zenefits as my HR Coordinator. As a small nonprofit, we look for value and long-term investment in everything we buy - this has been one of the best and most effective purchases we have made.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like or that I like less than something else. I have always been pleased with the changes and improvements made and have always received great customer service in a timely manner.

Love hate relationship

Listen, I'd still recommend them. I use the app almost daily, I log on at least a few times a week. It's a necessary tool in our belt and I'd be sad to lose them.

Pros

Ok, so it's great that Zenefits centralizes all of your HR needs into one system. It's certainly easier than logging into individual insurance sites. I like that the app loads quickly and can quickly give me info on my commuter benefits balance or show me my insurance info. It's also very easy to log personal days. And it's nice seeing the structure of the company within the website -- it's great for transparency.

Cons

Sometimes the zenefits team can't answer your question -- especially when it comes to insurance brouhaha. I nearly had a meltdown this past summer when my insurance company INSISTED I wasn't covered, but zenefits insisted that I was. No one would speak to each other, and only after a month of emails and calls was it ironed out. I can't say that this is zenefits' fault -- but it was annoying how deeply unhelpful they were.

Robyn from Greenwich Education Group

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Zenefits was the first HRIS system my small company used (100 employee)

Worth taking a look at.

Pros

User friendly for both HR and employees (self-serve) --easy and intuitive to use. Incredibly easy to create customized reports off using almost any data point(s). Smooth automated benefits enrollment process. Responsive customer service and great online help tools. System doesn't go down and is fast enough to keep up with our needs.

Cons

Zenefits is still 'young' and getting its act together. Used to be free until last year and they are still evolving their pricing structure, so they may end up being too expensive for our small company. Considerable personnel turnover in past 2 years and change in how they manage some functions (for instance, they now outsource benefits management to a 3rd party company instead of managing benefits inhouse and I am not overly impressed with the current benefits mgmt. group). Limited paid time off functionality (system only allows tracking of one paid time off process and my company has 2 discrete time off policies).

Betsy from Bachus & Schanker, LLC

Zenefits is a great piece of software making tremendous improvements all the time.

Pros

The ease of use for both employee and administrator is fantastic. New hires report an extremely pleasant onboarding experience through the platform. The automation is great and most things work extremely well. When they don't, my account manager is incredibly responsive and helpful. I absolutely love that the product team has taken several of my suggestions for improved functionality and implemented them.

Cons

Document storage doesn't work well for our use case. As a law firm, we have significant needs in this area and the current system is inadequate and cumbersome. Our need is greater than the typical use case. I preferred being able to call customer support when I had issues (outside of what my account manager handles). Submitting an issue through the portal and awaiting an email reply or call back (depending on which option is selected) is not ideal. Highly recommend a return to the prior method because it felt more available and 'real time'.

Michael from Golden Link Concessionaire, LLC

Zenefits is my go-to for all things related to HR. User friendly for both adm and end-user.

As mentioned in the review...

Pros

Zenefits was a lifesaver for our growing firm. Our firm was initially looking for a way to better manager PTO requests, but as we learned more about the product offerings, we took full advantage of making Zenefits the cornerstone of our HR infrastructure. Besides PTO tracking, the most useful/time saving features are onboarding new employees and open enrollment. With the functionality Zenefits provides, these previously time consuming and scattered tasks have become easy, accurate, and seamless. Having Zenefits available as a tool has enabled our Firm to offer employees a fully transparent HR tool that can assist them in managing their HR needs.

Cons

The inability to integrate information with our payroll provider - ADP Run. When Zenefits was launched at our firm, the integration was available and very useful. While not a deal-breaker, not having that integration is a bit of a pain.

A Must-have for small businesses with employees. Gone are the days of Spreadsheets and file cabinets

As a small business with only a few employees, it REALLY helps with getting our HR stuff together.

Pros

So first off, we use zenefits on a daily basis for just about all of our HR functions. The support is great for when we've run into the very rare bug, and sales is always quick to get back to me. They regularly release new features and improve existing ones. They are also VERY receptive to user feedback and idea suggestions.

Cons

Ya know, I'm not one to nitpick, but i have run into a few small issues lately. Primarily, the issue we have now is that we've been on Zenefits for a few years now and have older "Legacy Pricing". We however do all HR tasks on Zenefits EXCEPT payroll. Well fast forward a few years, their payroll product actually looks fairly promising.... until i learned that in order to start using their Payroll service, i have to first be updated to their newer more expensive billing plan. Bah.

Sandy from Channel Impact

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Excellent user interface for the admin and employees alike.

An easy to use interface and a tool that allows our employees to electronically and seamlessly on-board. I enjoy that the tool automatically reminds the end-users to complete tasks and keeps track of everything in one useful tool. I would like to see it become an intranet for employees to access company specific templates, content and tools.

Pros

What I like most about Zenefits is that it allows our employee on-boarding process to be completely automated and electronic. I love it!

Cons

The software I like, but being an earlier adopter, there were many growing pains within the company which caused a lot of issues with our open enrollment for two consecutive years. We recently resigned our contract and based on what we need, went with the basic (silver?) plan, which doesn't include Vacation Tracking. We don't need all of the HR support since we're a consulting services company. With that said, I'm disappointed that we weren't grandfathered in to having that tool.

Simple to use for admins & employees love it!

Pros

As Zenefits users for the past three years, we've loved how easy the solution is for onboarding new employees. Employees have made comments like "I knew the company really 'got it' when the onboarding was so simple. It also nice to manage everything in one platform - payroll, benefits, onboarding, business intelligence, etc. Without Zenefits we would likely need an additional employee just to do paperwork. Zenefits has always been responsive to our needs as an organization and our customer success manager has been extremely helpful.

Cons

We had a rough open enrollment process with the tool, but we started earlier this year and should be in better shape. Because the tool is constantly evolving, sometimes features come and go (Zenefits got rid of an in-house stock options tool they had built and so we had to switch vendors as a result).

Kim from Insta-Cash Pawn

Zenefits has greatly streamlined our onboarding process for new hires.

I have used Capterra in my research to find different software products and have found it to be very helpful.

Pros

I like that all documents for employees can be found in one place. New hire documents, performance reviews and disciplinary actions can be accessed quickly. We also are able to keep copies of our policy manuals and employee handbooks on Zenefits for easy access by our employees.

Cons

The Zenefits platform was free to use as long as we named them as our agent of record for our healthcare benefits. Then, Zenefits changed their pricing structure about a year after we started using them. They started charging for some features that were previously free, such as ACA reporting, which was a big part of our decision to go with them to begin with. They also limited the reports we could create.

Lisa from Zen Services

Just what we needed for a complete HR solution

Pros

I like the fully integrated HR solution Zenefits provides from onboarding to time off, time and attendance, and payroll. As our company has grown, so have our needs, and Zenefit's offerings have been just what we needed each step of the way. Payroll is so simple and quick.

Cons

It closes me out after too short an amount of time. I don't have a way to put associates on leave of absence, so I have to manually adjust time off accruals. I wish the time off information was only presented in hours, never in days. Our team works 10 or 13.3 hour days, so an 8 hour day is irrelevant in our world and causes confusion. We offer a SIMPLE IRA. I wish there was an easier way to capture an associate's contribution information than having to create custom fields.

James from Client Technology Solutions LLC

Very organized, neat, and easy to use!

After the initial issues with payroll, using Zenefits was very easy and streamlined our hiring process. Weve only had to use the termination process a handful of times, but when we did, it worked flawlessly. The dashboard is very neat and organized and setup is easy as well.

Pros

This product is extremely easy to use. Everything is online, so we were able to go completely paperless. The onboarding process is extremely easy and very comprehensive. The termination process is just as easy, with only a few buttons to click and youre done! There are constantly updates being made to the system, so its always rich with new features.

Cons

We initially had a bit of an issue with moving our payroll from our bank (what we initially used) to Zenefits, but once the issues were ironed out, it worked well. The new features sometimes throw you off and make you have to relearn the system, but theyre always beneficial changes, so its worth it.

Overall I think the HRIS is a wonderful product. I do wish that benefit forms were easier to find

Pros

Enrollment is simple, I like having one place for Associates to have most all their information, like their personal profile with contact information. We are remote company and have associates all over the nation. I think having paid time off in Zenefits is such a pro. It's very easy for me to see who has time off coming up for scheduling. It's nice housing our life insurance information as part of our offerings as well.

Cons

More options to upload documents like spreadsheet for tracking expenses for employees. We also have a company sponsored dental program and I wish I could enter that information in Zenefits as well. Would love to have all my information for my company avail in ZF for employees.

Adam from Kasota Stone

All encompassing HR Solution! TRULY - SOLUTION

Saw huge cost savings pulled together many items into a central portal. Love the mobile app for people our spread out to different locations.

Pros

The most important part is the ease of use for a complete solution. We use Onboarding, Time & Attendance, Payroll, Time Off, Benefits Admin, HSA Admin, Performance Management and the additional resources regarding HR, compliance. ITS ALL IN ONE PLACE! The convenience of having all of our HR-related items in one place for your people is priceless. We are able to run 4 companies from one portal, very effectively.

Cons

Employee support is generally handled digitally not over the phone. Most of our people prefer phone calls. However, support is very receptive and gets the job done well.

I am a huge fan of Zenefits. Their software is easy to use and makes HR management easy.

Increased efficiency and makes HR management easy--no paperwork and everything is managed electronically. I'm a huge fan.

Pros

Before I joined MAX, I did not know software like Zenefits existed. This software is intuitive, easy to use and makes employee onboarding, separation and benefits management easy to do. It completely eliminates the mounds of paper that I used to accumulate for new hires and employees. In fact, I liked it so much that I recommended it to my former employer and they are now using it as well. I also had an incredible Benefits Advisor who always seems to have an ability to answer my crazy questions with efficiency and extreme patience.

Cons

While many things about Zenefits are absolutely amazing, the benefits we currently have (we are a small company) are probably not the best option for our employee base, size and age. I believe that the change Zenefits has made to focus on software and outsource benefits to OneDigital may resolve this challenge. And we have also grown, so that should help with pricing as well.

June 2016

Katie from Boomtown

June 2016

HR automated

We started using it from the beginning of forming our company (over two years ago) and have been really pleased with the amount of features and support that Zenefits has provided. With any new company, there are usually some hiccups, but, they are always quick to fix problems and always available. We initially started out by using it as a platform before using them as our broker and haven't looked back since. We have two offices in California and Arizona and it has been really easy to onboard new employees remotely.

Pros

Speed of onboarding, new features, seamless integration to QuickBooks for payroll, price, automation of most things HR.

Cons

Doesn't handle international payroll yet (filing taxes, etc.)

Liz from Colorado Open Lands

Industry: Renewables & Environment

Zenefits has made a huge positive impact on the efficiency and quality of our HR processes.

The ability to easily and accurately manage onboarding, offboarding, payroll, benefits.

Pros

I love the ease of use for both administrators and staff as well as having all HR information in one place. The Help and online FAQs are extensive and extremely helpful as is the help desk and response time. Payroll is a breeze, open enrollment for benefits is smooth and the Time Off module is wonderful.

Cons

The only issues we've had are when people add/remove dependents or update their Life Qualifying Events and it's only happened once a year on average. Sometimes there's a miscue in the communication between Zenefits and the healthcare provider where coverage is dropped or partly dropped. But Zenefits is very quick to resolve issues.

Comprehensive HR platform, a great tool for small businesses

Zenefits keeps it simple and offers all the most common HR functionality in one easy place. Mobile and web versions are both great.

Pros

Dashboard is visually laid out and very simple to use. For employees, Zenefits offers a comprehensive, easy-to-use hub for all the important details. For employers, it is just as easy to use. Every day tasks like pulling insurance information or submitting time off are simple and painless. If you do not know where to find a certain piece of info, the intuitive layout means that a few moments of exploration can easily answer most questions. I appreciate that the layout is no-frills, because it means crucial information and functionality are easy to find and use. Mobile platform is easy to use and offers great functionality, which is an extremely beneficial aspect of the software.

Cons

I have trouble verifying my email to my account after switching emails from the personal to professional address. Luckily, this doesn't seem to be impacting my profile or making any feature more difficult, so it isn't a big issue.

Anil from India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.

Eases the HR flow management by enabling the on boarding process, payroll, and management of employee reports.

Pros

Helps reduce the time consumption by eliminating paper forms. In the case of requests, like for leave or for work-related, the officials get email notifications which they can instantly check and respond. There is this ClubZen area where you can interact with the other users of the application and provide feedback to the firm. You will find quite a lot of Third party integrations. The graphical user interface is clean and easy to use for both customers and the employees. It is highly customizable. You can even hire candidates, have a background check and send them to offer letters. You can check the employees check in and check out times.

Cons

Customer service and support is not responsive and is time-consuming to get your problem solved. The application is mainly suited for small-scale businesses.

Amy from FN

Streamlined HR administration allows professionals to focus on strategic work

Pros

Zenefits helps small businesses run their HR functions similar to what a big business would do with lots of resources. It is easy to do paperwork online like: I9s, ACA filings, W-2s, COBRA administration, new hire paperwork, etc. The tool also helps companies track time and attendance, time off, and offer a full suite of benefits to employees. I regularly tell others that we would need at least 1-2 additional employees to manage all the things that Zenefits does for us.

Cons

Zenefits needs to continue to improve their communication to customers, letting us know about upcoming changes to the product and further customize communications to our employees.

Cece from BCV Social

Best HRIS Platform I've used

I have the best client service representative out of any technology platform I've used. She's helpful and gets back to me quickly. Additionally, I feel like my feedback regarding changes to the tools are listened to and I find changes have been made rather quickly. Overall, I am one of Zenefits biggest cheerleaders and think it deserves all the praise from HR leaders.

Pros

I love how easy it it for not only me but my employees to navigate Zenefits. Having all benefits administration as well as payroll, performance management, time off and on-boarding documents in one place makes it simple and easy to track and record.

Cons

I know performance management is one of the newest features but it does have a few tweaks that need to be made.

Anna from Summit

Zenefits is an all in one HR management system

The software takes a lot of work off of HR staff. If you use it to its full advantage, it can do the majority of payroll, insurance and benefit selections, open enrollment, hiring and termination, and employee contact information all for you.

Pros

Zenefits allows me to easily hire, terminate, and track all employees safely and securely. It is user friendly and allows the employee to manage all of their personal information and benefits as well as benefit selections with ease.

Cons

Zenefits does have some quirks in their system, they haven't perfected everything but every month they progress and whenever I do find a problem or glitch in the system, the customer support team and service is always very helpful.

Amber from Subscribe Pro

One-stop-HR shop!

Zenefits allows us to have a small HR team with a big impact. The UI is easy to use and processes are straightforward. Customer support is also awesome when we do have questions!

Pros

The overall "Pro" is the fact it does so much and is very affordable! As a small bootstrapped start-up, having most of our HR functionality in one easy to use place makes a huge difference in effectively managing our employees and adhering to budget needs.

Cons

The more I work with it, the more I want other processes we use to integrate, which I know they are continually working on. The software has is great on its own but we would love to see customizable training integrations as a feature later on.

Jenna from EmeSec

Zenefits provides major benefits!

Pros

Zenefits has provided a seamless onboarding regime! From integration with our Applicant tracking system, to signatures on employee documents, all the way through to benefit selection and benefit administration. Since Zenefits has partnered with Onedigital, Benefit admin has been wonderful with a personal benefit advocate for the company who constantly stays in touch and is extremely responsive.

Cons

The major con for us, was Payroll. We ended up having to find another payroll provider as Zenefits was not operating in Alabama for payroll, now we have a third party that is supposed to sync with Zenefits and it syncs about 75% of the time.

Doug from Cyber Ninjas

Awesome Software - Absolutely Awful Support

Gusto is by far the best payroll, and even if you go with Zenefits I suggest you use them for payroll. Do not let Zenefits convince you to switch over. Pretty much only their sales people are responsive/friendly and as soon as you pay, they disappear. If you are big enough to go with Workday, go with them (IIRC they require 12 employees). BambooHR has a decent option, but watch for the hidden fees. They're not really upfront on all the costs, and their stuff is complicated enough they require you to go through training to use it. I am REALLY hopeful that new management at Zenefits will finally clean things up, or Gusto will enter the full market of Zenefits and put them out of business. Gusto support is awesome, just don't leave Gusto in the middle of the year. They have a policy that you can't come back in the same year.

Pros

For a small business there is not anyone cheaper than Zenefits and they have much greater integration and overall HR flow management than pretty much anyone I could find. When everything works, Zenefits is a beautiful thing.

Cons

Zenefits support is absolutely horrible. If there was ANY competitor that was anywhere close to having what they have at anywhere near their cost, I would have left by now. Support makes me downright angry on a regular basis. They don't read your questions and try to answer a different question, they take two or more days to respond (and there is no phone support), they tell you they'll call you back and do not, they give you wrong information over and over again. Almost no one who works there has any clue what they are doing, and their software messes up sometimes. The combination of the two has been a nightmare. I am constantly wondering if I'm actually saving time by using them, or if all the time I save is eating up with my many hours of arguing with support.

Mike from VeracityColab

Zenefits for the win!

Pros

Beyond the intuitive user experience and great customer service, I have found the outside software/resource integrations to be one of the most valuable things to our business. They have leading and like-minded software relationships that make everyday accounting tasks a breeze (i.e. Zenefits, QuickBooks Online & Guideline 401k all speak to each other and remove the hassle of having to manage each one individually).

Cons

If I had to pick something for the Zenefits platform to improve, it would be the mobile app experience. It is certainly functional but I would love to harness the power of the desktop experience on mobile.

Jamie from Aviation Consultants, Inc.

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

The platform has definitely matured!

Ease of onboarding. Simple for new hires to get into the system and turned on as an employee. The compliance tracking is nice, but unless you use the time and attendance aspect of this system, you are going to put in a lot more work to get the years 1094c's completed.

Pros

The ease of use. Particularly from the employees side when it comes to onboarding. Employees always find it easy to navigate, and finish their onboarding tasks with ease.

Cons

The rising costs. I can find other systems that offer more features for less. With each additional aspect of your system now each costing their own amount, by the time you add up each module your costs are too much for a small to medium sized organization to assume.

Savanna from Joule Energy

Industry: Oil & Energy

Great platform, not great at handling changes.

Pros

Zenefits does a great job of providing a platform that works to fill the holes in a small business. Their compliance tools are some of my favorite.

Cons

When Zenefits transitioned to a third party benefits administrator, there was no communication to our company. The only way we knew there was a change was because the benefits admin reached out to us! The same thing happened when they switched us to a third party for COBRA administration. We found out because we were trying to solve a COBRA problem with Zenefits & halfway to the resolution the Zenefits team member let me know that they were no longer our admin. It was very frustrating.

Wendy from tia

Great Benefits, time clock management software

Pros

Functionality, Time Clock, Time Off, Benefits information, Paycheck information

Cons

I wish the time off calculations could be done a little different. I wish it gave you a total balance for the entire year as well as what has been earned.

Sarah from Zagster

Zenefits is a good starting point

Zenefits was a great solution for my company when we were 1 - 60 people. Once things got complex, I feel like it made more sense to move to an HRIS where employment information was easier to track and update. However, for the cost and functionality, it definitely helped our company at an early stage.

Pros

- easy to use UI - straight forward - gets everything you need done - completes background checks and a place for all employee information

Cons

- not super robost - the customer service is helpful for quick things but anything in depth they take a few days to get back to you - not supportive once you get over 100 employees (better off hiring a full-time HR person to manage all the stuff zenefits does)

Josh from ASH NYC

What you are looking for even if you don't even know yourself at this time.

It has not been perfect from over five years ago, I cannot lie but they have in the last three years brought it to a whole new level and stepped it up beyond time after time.

Pros

It is the happy balance with an EXTRA kick. It is HR, Payroll, Time and Attendance, Scheduling, Documents, onboarding and so much more. I don't even know how people do it without zenefits, must have been horrific.

Cons

Waiting for them to write the amazing new technology that is coming. This is a personal issue of patience. There are tons of features always being updated or available like schedule which not only is amazing and all in one for ease of use by staff but also free!

Zenefits has greatly simplified the on-boarding process and saved time using integration partners

Time savings and offering a single source of employee HR data to employees.

Pros

The hub-spoke concept, with Zenefits as the hub and passing data to payroll, benefits, savings partners to eliminate duplicate data. Time savings and ease of use are best features.

Cons

Changing partners or not offering enough partners. I am a contract CFO and have 3 of my clients on Zenefits. Having been with Zenefits for awhile, we have had payroll integration partners change, but now 2 out of 3 use Zenefits payroll, and 401k partners change. Every time you break the hub/spoke link it creates manual entry or changing partners to stay in sync.

Solid HR Software well suited to a small/medium sized business

Pros

Zenefits is really easy to use and implement - it did not require a large change management process or countless hours of training. Our employees enjoyed it and had easy access to information. For an affordable price, we had access to a lot of features that changed the way we ran our HR.

Cons

The software had limited capability for tracking international employees and was best suited for the US market. This was problematic as our business increased in complexity, but I believe they may be adding this functionality over time. More granular permissions would also help.

Allen from Eternity Mart

Zenefits payroll is very bulky. It is also limited and lacks functionality.

Zenefits is pretty low-tech masquerading as some high tech Payroll software. There's nothing that high tech about them and just about every person on the customer service side lacks basic knowledge of its functionality. It is a lot more confusing than Gusto and is nothing more than a series of modules built on Django, Javascript and jQuery with very basic databases that run on cron jobs. I can live with the product that Zenefits has despite all of its shortcomings but the people behind it need much better training. Their fake enthusiasm coupled with little to no knowledge of the platform, hr, or payroll is a huge turn off.

Pros

Time & Attendance: Users are able to seamlessly clock in and out from their phones once they get familiar with Zenefits. PTO: PTO is simple and streamlined.

Cons

Customer Service: The chat agents are a waste of time to talk to. The phone agents know very little but can at least put you on hold, ask their supervisor and learn as they go along. Pay Runs are akward but here is the process: 1. You need to approve your employees timesheets. 2. Timesheets need to be pushed to payroll. This requires some time. Looks like its set up on a cron job so if you just missed it you need to wait a few minutes for it to get pushed. 3. From there you add the deductions and reimbursements. If you don't have the types set up, you'll need to step away and set them up. There's no memo you can input once you add a deduction. For example, if its an employee purchase it doesn't allow you to describe what was purchased. 4. You approve the pay run, push it through and wait for confirmation. Another cron job most likely. PTO Policy is there but since its so easy to do, its subject to a lot of abuse. You cannot reimburse an employee in net earnings. The functionality just isn't there. You need to select whether employees clock in through an iPad or their phones. You can't mix and match. The app for an administrator is absolutely useless. There's not much you can do as an admin from your phone. Navigating is bulky. Instead of selecting your employee and seamlessly flowing through everything that relates to them, you need to first pick which module you want to use and toggle back and forth between modules.