Toast POS Reviews

4.28 / 5 (245)

Our advisors have recommended this product 97 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "Easy to learn how to use. Easy to teach others how to use. And it's a great value. "

• "Software is very easy to use. Pos system is good, not very colorful but still easy to maneuver. Easy to train new hires on. "

• "Toast is a great point of sale. It's easy to use interface mixed with helpful team make using this point of sale a breeze. "

• Cons

• "There's not much I dislike about Toast. With that said, it can be a bit glitchy at times. It's also a relatively new company, so some of the functions haven't quite been worked out perfectly yet. "

• "There are some sluggish features within the software, however Toast happily accepts feature requests and has fulfilled a few of mine! "

• "constant changes and updates, usually good, but most times, a hassle for the management staff. The install was not done as professionally as I expected, but support has been great."

Browse Toast POS Reviews

Jayelynn from 12 West Brewing Co.

Incredibly Efficient!

Overall, I'm thrilled we switched to Toast. It's simple to use, has made us more efficient, and wasn't as expensive as similar systems.

Pros

Compared to POS systems I've used in the past, Toast is a lifesaver! It has tremendously improved efficiency and flow of our Taproom. We now have the ability to swipe a card and store credit card information; which is a huge benefit for those of us in co-op spaces. Although they look bulky, their handhelds fit into your back pocket and allow us to close tabs out table side. They are shock and water resistant, plus you can log into more than one device at the same time so if you're working alone, you can close out multiple parties at once. As a GM, I'm grateful that Toast is not only cloud-based, but allows me to access the back end from my laptop or smart phone so I don't have to be onsite to make system changes. Updates are incredibly quick so there's not a ton of down time. There is also Toast Central, where you can troubleshoot issues yourself rather rather than immediately calling Support. They are helpful instructions with screenshots and videos.

Cons

Customer Support is hit or miss. I always get an answer, it's just a matter of when I get it. After hours and on weekends, I feel like their staffing is very limited which leads to delays in getting immediate help. Thankfully it's only happened once where I needed a quick answer and wasn't able to get it.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

While it has a lot of features, we couldn't justify the cost versus the features we would actually be using. Since we don't have a kitchen in our Taproom, we didn't need the inventory and recipe features that make Aloha a standard in our industry.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2019

Hi Jayelynn, Jasmine from Toast here. Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear how multiple features of Toast have improved your operations, and that you are taking full advantage of Toast Central as a resource!

Chelsea from Bistro Barberet and Bakery

One of the most user friendly POS systems!

After about a year of use, Toast has proven to be one of the most trustworthy and reliable POS systems. With it's integration with Hot Schedules, it has made scheduling and payroll tracking a breeze. Highly recommended to restaurants looking for a change in POS software!

Pros

- User friendly - Intuitive - Fantastic customer support - Self updating - Good price - Integrated with most scheduling platforms

Revel Systems

Response from Toast

Replied January 2020

Hi Chelsea, Mora from Toast here. We're so glad to hear Toast's Integrations are helping enable your restaurant to thrive! We pride ourselves in building an intuitive, easy-to-use platform. Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate the opportunity to improve our product.

Valentina from Earth

Beware of their promises

After 6 months, I am not impressed. I am spending so much more money than I was before, and put in so much effort and time into setting everything up, but nothing is ever on point with Toast.

Pros

Nice features and ways to set up the menu for ease of use by employees. User-friendly up to a certain extent.

Cons

Most of the features promised by the sales rep were all available at an extra cost, after paying a lot of money already for the system and the hardware, you have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. Their customer support is very unreliable, sometimes you have someone great who knows exactly what you are talking about, sometimes it seems like the person has never even used the POS before... They put you on hold for 10+ minutes at a time too.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2019

Hi Valentina, Jasmine from Toast here. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we strive to provide best-in-class customer support and offer solutions for all of our customers. We encourage you to reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager so we can help your business thrive on Toast.

kestrel from TIN ANGEL

Beware!

Pros

I signed on to Toast because they touted themselves as software specifically for restaurants so I thought it would be an easy transition. It was not. As a POS system the functionality is fine. Servers can ring in food and it prints where we tell it but good luck pulling even basic, typical reports any restaurant would need. A lot of the reports I would want are listed as possible but then they don't populate with actual numbers. Support has no clue. I can wait to talk to a support person for 20 minutes sometimes or even get a "we'll call you back" which comes 24 hours or more later which is such a bummer when I have a guest waiting for a check and I need support to do it. When I do get them on the line they know about as much as I do about how to work the software.

Cons

Toast talks big and presents a front like they know what they are doing but they don't seem to grasp even simple financial or restaurant concepts. Do your servers split tips with a bartender or other support staff? Too bad because you are going to need to create your own spreadsheet outside the system to do that and then tediously go day by day to get the tip info for payroll. It is significantly more expensive than what I was doing before and they forced me to buy all their hardware, like printers and tablets which is dumb. Any old tablet would work better than theirs because they have it locked so we can't play music through it or manage our Instagram account. The list of problem s is too long to even go into here. DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO RUNNING PAYROLL THROUGH THEM. The payroll program is a complete and utter joke. They have no clue.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

They talked a good line on which they have failed to deliver.

Response from Toast

Replied January 2020

Hi Kestrel, Mora here from Toast. Thank you for providing this feedback, we are continually working on improving our reporting, analytics, and Payroll platform, and appreciate hearing from you. To ensure performance, we will continue to recommend that you only run Toast software on Toast hardware. I'm sorry to hear you have been having trouble getting ahold of our Support team. If our line (617) 682-0225 is busy, please log on to Toast Central (central.toasttab.com) to chat with them live during business hours. I have notified your Restaurant Success Manager to inform them of the issues you've been having and they will be in touch.

Dave from Washington Prime

Industry: Restaurants

Toast is the only option for POS

My overall experience has been nothing short of amazing. I wish I switched to Toast long before I did.

Pros

Toast offers the simplest POS interface I've ever used, if you can work an iPhone or iPad, you'll be flying through this system with no issues.

Cons

I really don't have anything to say negatively about Toast, at first I was worried about the learning curve, but that was practically non existent.

Samec from Restaurants

Industry: Restaurants

Quick software with minor setbacks

Overall I have had a fairly positive experience using this system. While navigating it may be a bit tricky at times I have been more efficient using this software than other POS systems out there.

Pros

Perhaps my favorite thing about this software is the clean interface that is presented by the platform. It is not messy and makes creating orders fast. The user can easily see that there is a clear path and structure that the user must take in order to fulfill any orders- therefore making the process efficient.

Cons

This system can get complex at times specially at times when time is limited. The amount choices that is presented by this software can make navigating for the user a bit difficult as it can get seemingly overwhelming. However, this is only at first when the user first begins operating this system.

Response from Toast

Replied June 2019

Hi Samec, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you find the user experience of Toast to be intuitive and our POS has made your restaurant operations more efficient.

Learning curve

decent, not thrilled

Pros

There are a lot of features and functionality with Toast, how to use them is another thing

Cons

Not very intuitive to use. Also i have not been able to get ahold of customer service

Response from Toast

Replied August 2019

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. If you're having trouble reaching Toast Support over the phone, log on to Toast Central to chat with them live during business hours. This is also where you can find Toast University, a library of all the training courses you need to be successful with Toast!

Jeff from Financial Services

So Great to Have Everything Consolidated

Overall I think after a lot of research and a couple of trials Toast seemed to be the best option as a long-term solution. I believe it can grow with us over the years.

Pros

One stop shop plug and play solution! I was not interested in having to switch between systems and wanted easy reporting across the business.

Cons

Takes a while to learn all the functionality but worth it once learned. Although its not a problem with the software itself, either a better hard copy training manual or disk would be helpful.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

More robust and offered more scale as we grow to keep everything on one platform.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2019

Hi Jeff, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your all-in-one, Toast POS System! For helpful training material, encourage you to refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/.

Tiara from Hospitality

Easy Portability

It frees up bottleneck at traditional computer terminals

Pros

Toast is an easy to use platform that allows you to streamline POS transactions through the use of handheld POS. The handheld POS can perform cashier functions, ordering, statistical tracking (total sales, tips, % of sales by category, etc.), and its' portability offers freedom on the go. Being a Server, I am able to take orders tableside and perform payment functions from almost anywhere.

Cons

It's cloud based so make sure you have a strong internet provider. Spotty internet connection can stall the entire system.

Response from Toast

Replied January 2020

Hi Tiara, Mora from Toast here. We're happy to hear that ToastGo has streamlined your responsibilities as a server. Toast's "Offline Mode" does allow you to continue placing orders, printing tickets and receipts, and taking credit card payments until the internet connection is reestablished and you are back online. Please refer to this Knowledge Base article for Offline Mode FAQs: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Offline-Mode-Overview-1492794307880

johnny from ponchatoulas

Careful with any 3rd party contractors that are used to help set up

Toast sent over a 3rd party contractor to help install the system. Only for 2 hours plus 2 1/2 hours of drive time for them, and we had nothing that was in their scope of work to do. Although, they help is we paid them separately. We get to the finish line and Toast sends over some shady shysters wanting to get paid by Toast and me.

Pros

cloud base system with more functionality

Cons

Toast makes lots of assumptions on set-up. One, is that everyone is an IT major. Two, there is no help with hardware installation.

Response from Toast

Replied January 2020

Hi Johnny, Mora here from Toast. Thank you for providing feedback on your installation experience. We're committed to thoroughly vetting high-quality 3rd party contractors when necessary and your feedback is appreciated. Please reach out to our Support team at (617) 682-0225 during business hours if you continue experiencing difficulty with this contractor.

Toast--Support when you need it.

We are still early in the implementation of using Toast, but thus far I have been very impressed with their customer service and professional manner in which they have trained and supported our company.

Pros

I love that Toast supports their product. You can call and get someone on the line that will help you answer your questions. They also provide the hardware necessary to run their software. They are constantly updating their software to meet the needs of their users and are staying current with the technology. One option that is particularly useful to us is printing individual labels for each shake. In other words, we could have a bus of individuals come to our restaurant, and we need to print individual labels on each shake to identify what is in the shake so that it gets to the right person. In the past, we had to individually write on each cup.

Cons

The most difficult part to swallow is the fact that you have a monthly payment for the software--even if you are a seasonal business and only open for less than half the year. Toast will make some concessions for that, but it still seems costly since our other solution we used was free and pretty much did everything we needed short of printing individual labels for the shakes.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

We chose Toast over Square because of: 1. Dedicated support 2. Individual labels for each shake 3. Text notifications to customer when their food is done 4. More reliable KDS (Kitchen Display Systems) 5. Much larger and more functional KDS screens

Michelle from J-Mack BBQ

Why I chose Toast

With now being in business a full year now, I have and I still am learning pro and cons of doing business. I have worked in restaurants but I have never been on the manager/owner side and it's not as easy as you think it is. When running your own business for the most part you are on your own! I sat down with a computer tech to figure out the best POS system for my business. There are SO many out there and being unfamiliar with them a lot of research was done! I attended the Gordon Food Show a month before we opened and I got to see first hand how Toast worked. I was very impressed with the system and how easy it looked to operate (remember I've never been on this side of the business) and we had decided to work 100% with Gordon Food Service because of their support and looking at our best interest for starting our business. Now a year later, I could't imagine being with another POS system so no regrets here on choosing Toast for our POS!

Pros

Customer Support! - I rate them 100 on this!! Any questions I have big or small, they are just a phone call away! If my call isn't answered right away or I get busy, they have the feature to leave your number and they will call you back ASAP. Customer Service - Being a tech and answering some of the crazy questions (I'm one who probably has the most) they are always patient, friendly and very professional when answering questions.

Cons

Credit Card Processing Fees - With other Processing companies out there some are cheaper but overall with Toast, they win. It's the hidden fees you have to watch. Toast fees appear to be higher but what you see is what you get where with the other guys you have to read the fine print.

Theo from Jimmyks

Toast is really a great system easy & saves time. Problems false promises from sales rep & cc fees

Pros

That is super user friendly. Fast and overall a great system. Seriously aside from what I write in the CON section. Toast REALLY is the best software POS system I have worked with. Hands down.

Cons

The credit card processing fees they initially promise you they can match your current rates which they DO NOT its a LIE. Then customer service never gets back to you or passes you on to someone else then someone else and someone else. Never follow through with their promises and never can get ahold of your sales rep and he doesn't reply or follow through when you finally do get him on phone. Beware they will not match your credit card rate like they promise you. They will overcharge you if you don't watch exactly what they are taking out of you bank account. You will get charged for modules they say they will " give you for x amount of months free" and then continue getting charged and have to wait months and months and make a million phone calls to try and get your money back for 'free trials they charged you for and your money back for when you told them you didn't want them at all after "free trail" and they continue charging you. Biggest advice is get your credit card rates in clear upfront writing and sit down and figure it out. Make sure they are not screwing you. Because its not only happened to us but several other businesses.

Response from Toast Tab

Replied April 2018

Hi Theo - It's great to hear that Toast has saved you time and made the business more efficient. We strive to make merchant processing as transparent and straightforward as possible. It's great advice to discuss rates upfront and get the clear rate breakdown. Please work with our Support team to address your concerns. We want to find a solution that works for you.

Anang from Thyme For Lunch

Industry: Restaurants

Glad we selected this solution

Very pleased with our decision to replace our old solution with Toast.

Pros

Very feature rich with a robust online delivery platform that seamlessly integrates with the POS solution. Synchronization is almost immediate and we have seen a huge increase in online ordering already. The self service kiosk was easy to setup and has a great look and feel

Cons

Overwhelming and we have barely begun to turn on all the other features - customer loyalty, customer feedback, delivery and so on.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Lower TCO and features we were looking for. Also has a bigger footprint in our city

Response from Toast

Replied November 2019

Hi Anang, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you have been driving online orders with Toast Digital Ordering as well as enjoying Toast Kiosk. We hope you will soon be able to take advantage of everything Toast has to offer! Please refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/ for best practices and educational material while you get rolling.

Rachel from Knoxville restaurant

Great POS for restaurants

After over a year the restaurant is still super happy with the switch

Pros

I was hired to help customize, train, and implement this new software at a friends restaurant. I have worked with a few different POS systems and this was by far the most user friendly. Easy to customize their menus and check preferences. Easy to update if we figured out how we originally entered in an item needed to be changed. Cloud based so when not on sight I was able to fix remotely when not at the restaurant. Also the handheld option is great for taking orders and splitting checks on the fly. Also were able to implement gift cards with the new system.

Cons

No real cons. The only downside was the initial few days after switching for the staff to get used to it.

Ann from Narwhal's Crafted

Industry: Wine and Spirits

Toast POS has everything you could want in a POS system!

Toast is easy to use which makes training new employees a breeze. We rarely experience issues with Toast, but if we do, customer service is very attentive and solves the problem quickly. I don't have any bad things to say about the POS system or the Toast team!

Pros

The inventory feature on Toast has revolutionized the way we track our products. Being able to enter recipes, add invoices, track waste, etc. - and do it all in one place - is awesome. And the fact that it is all so easy and user friendly is just a bonus!

Cons

We receive a sales report from Toast each morning, which is great. It would be nice if in this email there were a few specific reports that were pushed to you, as opposed to having to click "full report" and pick and choose what you'd like to view on the website. For example: weekly sales summary, hourly sales, payroll detail, etc.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Toast had everything that we were looking for in a POS, and more!

Response from Toast

Replied August 2019

Hi Ann, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear about how Toast Inventory has made an impact on your operations! We appreciate your feedback on the daily sales report, thanks for the review.

Lindsay from Restaurants

Industry: Restaurants

Not the best, not the worst

Overall my experience is indifferent. While I am occasionally irritated with this system other days it functions fine but overall it is still mediocre. I would recommend it to someone with a strong encouragement of researching the program to see if it is the best system for your business.

Pros

Toast POS system has a VERY short list of pros from my time using it in my restaurant. One of the only pros is the easy-to-read menu set up. While There are not many features or anything about the system that I found unique or helpful, there are not to many bad elements that stand out either. It is a simple and mediocre system.

Cons

The biggest con of this program to me is the ridiculous amount of time it takes the systems to download and log on, not just first thing in the morning but periodically throughout the day. There are also issues with set times and online orders being updated because all systems must sync variously throughout the day as well. The system is not user friendly or easy to use right away and takes more time getting use to than past systems I have used.

Response from Toast

Replied January 2019

Hi Lindsay- thank you for your feedback. We may be able to help troubleshoot the loading issue you are having. Please work with Toast Support by calling (617) 682-0225, or log on to Toast Central to chat with them live.

One of the most intuitive POS systems I have encountered

When I began using Toast there was fear of a learning curve however I immediately adapted to it as it seemingly was designed by the professionals in the industry who use it. Everything is where it needs to be and it is incredibly easy to train new employees on the system even without previous experience working with a POS system.

Pros

Very intuitive user interface Incredibly easy to pick up and go with previous POS system knowledge Very responsive clicks Great organization tools for menu options Split check function is much easier to use than other systems Credit card transaction time is very fast

Cons

Training entire staff over to a new POS Other than the cost of training and time for adaptation there is no reason this POS should not be ranked alongside the industry standards like Aloha and Micros

Response from Toast

Replied January 2019

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. Its great to hear that Toast is helping your restaurant become more efficient and that it is easy to use and integrate into your restaurant. We are glad some of our features, like the split check function and quick credit card transaction, are helping your operations. We're excited to continue to help you to thrive!

heather from State Park, Mamaleh's Caf du Pays

Industry: Restaurants

Toast is a modern and still growing POS and restaurant management product

Toast has helped us organize and stay nimble through aggressive company growth. Looking forward to the next period with Toast where we adopt their HR, payroll, and scheduling features.

Pros

Toast allows users to log on to its website to edit menu items, run reports, track punch-in's. In the past, POS systems were loaded into desktops in the back office. It's so refreshing to update, edit, and from anywhere because it's based off a website. The devices that Toast has selected for installation in the restaurants are modern, slim, and highly functional.

Cons

Toast can slow down, which isn't good news when the restaurant is busy. The sales tracking is still not as robust as I would hope from a product that does so much else so well. For instance, it can be hard to get results on the sales of a menu item for an entire year.

Response from Toast

Replied April 2019

Hi Heather, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you are seeing the benefits of a cloud-based software and enjoy our hardware. We also look forward to continuing to work with you and helping your restaurant thrive!

Amanda from Abigail's Inc

Industry: Restaurants

Does literally everything I want it to do

I was a POS technician back in the day and this is some of the best put together software I've come across. Seriously.

Pros

Like the title says, it does literally everything I want it to do. I have the options for gift cards, online and mobile ordering, and I just got the inventory management module and it's just a freaking dream.

Cons

It's got a few bugs -- one is updating the current inventory without our permission. It'll suddenly give us a heads up that it's decided that we have 4 plain bagels when we clearly have sold 3 of the 5 we received in the morning. I'm sure I've got a setting messed up in there some where that's making it do that.

Response from Toast

Replied January 2020

Hi Amanda, Mora from Toast here. We are thrilled to hear that Toast has been exceeding your expectations. Thanks for the review!

Alexander from Casa Nela

Toast POS: The Modern Day POS System You Should Be Using

Overall Toast is the future of the POS game. As evidenced by its recent fundraises, Toast is anticipated to take over the market. It may take a bit of time for larger, older organizations to adopt the technology given the amount of time they have input into older systems, but it's only a matter of time before the switches happen.

Pros

Toast is a phenomenal POS system that blows the legacy players such as Aloha and Micros out of the water. Toast is very easy to set up, manipulate on the fly, and track relevant data. The handheld devices allow for a more streamlined ordering system, shaving precious seconds off the time to perform a transaction--something that is essential in a restaurant environment in which throughput is core to success. Toast is much more intuitive than other POS tools and the day to day users have found it to be excellent.

Cons

Toast does not allow for the same level of customization that legacy players do, so you can't change every aspect like you can on those tools. Further, the handheld devices rely on excellent Wifi connection, so you may struggle if there is a lag or an outage on the internet. Further, some changes take a little longer than you would hope to update on the handheld devices.

Response from Toast

Replied May 2019

Hi Alexander, Jasmine from Toast here. Thanks for the review! I'm happy to hear you have found the ToastGo to to increase efficiency of your servers - we know how important that is in the fast-paced restaurant industry.

Fast, Intuitive, Easy to Use

It's been great. The last POS that we used was not nearly as efficient and easy to use on a day-to-day level. The split check options is GREAT and the credit card transaction time is much faster than with our last POS.

Pros

Cons

The fact that it's cloud-based can be a bit of an issue if the internet goes down.

Response from Toast

Replied August 2019

Hi there, thanks for the review! Did you know that in the event of an internet disruption, Toast's Offline Mode allows you to continue to place orders, print tickets and receipts, and take credit card payments until the connection is reestablished and you are back online Learn more about Toast's Offline Mode here: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Offline-Mode-Overview-1492794307880.

Kelly from The Livery

Toast Review

The back end entry saves HOURS out of my week, and my employees are much, much happier with the ease of functions they use everyday (splitting checks, transferring tabs). I also enjoy the community and keeping in touch with Toast. It's not like one of those systems where a salesman comes into your restaurant, sells it to you, and never answers your call. Toast is constantly finding new ways to be a partner to us.

Pros

I most liked upgrades. With our previous systems, you bought them and that was it. We suffered for years without functions we wished we had. With Toast, if they don't already have it, you can bet it will be in a future upgrade.

Cons

It's what I like least but I appreciate: It's a LOT to learn, and it's constantly evolving. You really have to stay on top of it to get the most out of the system, but paying attention and a little research goes a long way.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2018

Hi Kelly - We LOVE to hear that Toast is saving you hours every week. We are committed to being a partner in your business. We hope you'll utilize the monthly video newsletter and training materials to help stay up-to-date.

Elizabeth from Kome Group

Great for Remote Access

Pros

Toast POS is the best cloud based tablet POS out there. Their reporting is easy to use, and accessible anywhere this is an internet connection. Everything is laid out intuitively and on the front end, the staff find it very easy to use.

Cons

We wish their support team were more responsive. Several times we have reached out with a question and haven't received an answer.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2019

Hi Elizabeth, Jasmine from Toast here. We love that you love being able to access your restaurant's real-time data from anywhere!

After using so many POS systems this is my absolute favorite

We use Toast as our jazz club and every single employee absolutely adores the system if they have any experience with another point of sale systems. It is much more professional than a system such as square in my opinions and seems like a wonderful middle-ground between an industry standard like Aloha and a more intuitive and user-oriented solution like clover.

Pros

User Interface is absolutely gorgeous So much more intuitive than other systems (seems like it was designed by me) Very fast transaction and screen speed easy to add things to menu/change prices Works very well so any sized restaurant makes splitting checks way easier that most POS systems

Cons

Receipt printer that we got from Toast could have been a little nicer. Was very light and moves around a lot.

Response from Toast

Replied February 2019

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you are in love with our UI - I love how you said "it seems like it was designed by me". That is exactly the user experience we hope for everyone to have. We appreciate the feedback on the hardware!

Tyler from River & Odi Hospitality Group

Toast Review

Pros

Far and away the easiest POS software to use. If you are looking for software that anyone from the most tech savy down to the least savy, this is the platform I would recommend. The reporting features are easy to use and understand.

Cons

They lack in their customer support. They have been getting better, but as an early adopter, I saw where they grew too fast and forgot to help support their earliest customers with their issues.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2018

Hi Tyler - We're thrilled that you're finding Toast easy to use! Our technology is designed to support your business, not get in your way. Staff training is hard enough without the POS being difficult to use. Customer service is a top priority for us in 2019 and beyond. We'll continue to focus on that to ensure you and your team get best-in-class service whenever you call or log on.

Gregg from (swah-rey)

After using and testing many - There's only one for us - TOAST!

We are able to see real time inventory levels and sales of our baked goods and write precise production schedules for our kitchen. We also have the inventory module and love the costing and menu mapping.

Pros

Ease of use when training incoming staff. The software is very intuitive and easy to teach/learn.

Cons

The "cupcake" problem...not having the ability to create drop down menus to select a specific number of flavors/cupcakes to put in a box - and - have those choices deducted from the running inventory in real time. However, the Toast Tech's found us a workaround, it is however, slightly cumbersome.

Response from Toast

Replied February 2019

Hi Gregg, Jasmine from Toast here. It's great to see you are taking full advantage of our robust POS system. We appreciate the feedback on the drop down menus, but I'm glad you were able to find a solution!

Joe from O'Maddy's Bar & Grille

Highly Recommend!

We've had Toast for over a year and could not be happier. We never planned on switching from our old POS but after seeing a presentation of Toast we were blown away by the possibilities. Toast has increased our efficiency immensely which shows in our sales. We recently had over 10,000 people for our annual St. Patrick's Day Street Event. We've always been please at how easily it handles our volume, but wow, it ran smoothly and effortlessly all day long! We had 17 handhelds running and 5 terminals! We cannot say enough good things about Toast! We learn new things every day that increase our productivity!

Response from Toast Tab

Replied March 2017

Hi Joe! Thank you so much for your glowing review! We're so happy that you're a part of our Toast family, and it has been SUCH a great pleasure working with you and your team. We're also ecstatic to hear that your Toast experience was relatively flawless, especially on a high volume holiday! Thanks again for being an important member of our family, and we look forward to our continued partnership for many more years to come! Hope we get to see you guys in Florida soon! Best Regards, Cassy & the Toast team

Jeff from Costa Vida

Toast and the Cloud Makes Sense

For over a year our organization searched for the right POS solution for us that would solve issues that our current provider could not. We had 65 locations in our brand and it seemed like they were 65 islands when it came to our POS system. There were many versions of our data base, and we were hampered by issues such as the end of life for our operating system. Toast was one of many POS providers we evaluated, including all of the top names in the industry. Some of the most important considerations that influenced our decision included the system being cloud-based, easy to use, and easy to integrate with other technology. We installed the Toast POS solution for the first time in July of 2015, and have been converting locations since then. We currently have over 60 locations using Toast, and anticipate the rest of the locations to convert this year.

Pros

Easy to use, reliable, good value.

Cons

There are still a few features that have not matured yet. A more robust ideal food cost tool that could integrate with more food vendors would be very valuable.

Chris from The Listening Room

Overall great

Pros

We have used several POS systems in my restaurant. After trying Toast, I was convinced it was the best. We have had multiple issues with credit card readers not working with promises of new ones (which we have never received) so thats my only complaint. The ease of use is great and when the cc works, there isnt a better system.

Cons

Credit card readers dont connect properly and sometimes they dont work at all. Punching in numbers costs my restaurant a lot of time and money with higher fees.

Response from Toast

Replied April 2019

Hi Chris, Jasmine from Toast here. Thanks for the review! I'm sorry to hear about the issue you have been having with the credit card readers. Your Restaurant Success Manager will be in touch with you soon.

September 2015

Matt from Mattenga's Pizzeria

September 2015

Awesome product, completely cost effective and easy to work with.

Pros

I have found their system to be very easy to work with and definitely cost effective. The thing I hated about the other POS systems that are IPad based is that a new Ipad is so ridiculously expensive to replace. And I don't know about y'all, but when you hadn employees tech, you better be prepared to replace it. I have added tablets in literally less than 20 minutes on a Friday night because I decided that day I wanted a phone station. It was easy to do, and I took care of it without support. But when I have had issues on Friday night, like when Time Warner decided to go down for a couple hours just cause, Toast was right there on the phone and able to walk my staff through the offline experience. The data is easy to get on the back end, and in real time. I love being able to log in and see what is going on at any given time. Or edit the menu because I forgot something from my recliner at home, if I am actually able to that day. Y'all know how that is, or will.

Cons

Their software is a constant work in progress, which is a good thing. They have added a ton of features since June 2014 when I started with them. There isn't anything I don't like about the system. My only complaint is they don't yet have a fully integrated scheduling system. That is coming though, and there are solutions that sync with Toast, but I just haven't gotten away from our spreadsheet system yet. Old habits die hard.

Tim from Shin Ramen Hollywood

Industry: Restaurants

Disappointed is the right way to say it. Promised so much and did not deliver

It started off strong, and then just slowly going down hill. They have you locked in is how I feel, and now they dont care.. They are worried about other things...

Pros

The hardware is nice. Having a handheld order taker is very nice. Also saving some paper with people signing the handheld device, but there are some issues as well. If there is an issue, it is nice to have a US based support center..

Cons

Well, You can not add an auto charge of 3% if a person is using a credit card unless you manually add it, the kitchen display has glitches, an order with 5 things will send a text alert for each item rather than the entire order when finished. I was also promised that the credit cards would not cost more, they would match or beet what I had in the past, and that is not ringing true to the tune of around 100 ish a month.... Took 4 months to get someone to finally review the credit card charges only for him to shine me on which is frustrating to a business owner. I have also had a few extremely good feature requests that I know other restaurants would use, like using the hand held to present the final bill rather than printing a receipt... But honestly there is no way to know if anyone has herd you, if anything will happen or if anyone cares... Also you cant have pictures in the POS.. having pictures as well as having descriptions and a recipe would be great.. but no options...

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Well, Honestly I thought it would have a few improvements over the revel pos system.. As I look back, I realize the Revel was an extremely robust system. What I think is simple, like having the first topping free, is not a possibility with toast... You have to give a discount which is extra steps and honestly makes you look like you give a ton of $$ away when looking at the reports.. I regret my decision at this point...

Gonca from Flatbread Grill

Terrible Tech Support And Filled With Bugs

TOAST is actually one of the worst POS systems you can use. I have been a restaurant industry veteran on the owner's side for over a decade. Before that, I worked in the industry for another decade. Ask ten restaurants what they think of Toast, and 9 of them will tell you how awful they are. I know three off the top of my head who turned to Toast because we were using it, only to realize how awful the system is. Below are the reasons why Toast is a waste of money.

Pros

Affordable Customer facing customization

Cons

1. Their technical support is AWFUL. Every time we have a major support issue- now only does it take them DAYS to respond via email, but they almost always find a way to deflect the blame. 2. You cannot process voids or refunds properly through the system. We have tried countless times to do this, only to have the ticket not void, causing the customer to file for a chargeback. Keep in mind, TOAST charges you a fee every time they have to refund a customer via a chargeback claim. 3. For TWO YEARS now, our delivery receipts keep printing to our self-ordering kiosk's printer instead of our cashier facing printer. TWO YEARS! 4. Every single time they do an update on their system, it almost always crashes, freezes, or goes offline, causing our employees to freak out when they can't get it back up and running. 5. Despite us paying a premium for our monthly subscription, they still cannot get the gift card or loyalty reward program working properly. 6. We have our delivery zone set to a certain zip code, yet we still receive orders outside of this zip code, causing customers to get upset with us. Overall, from a price point, with how much your monthly subscription will run you and the amount of headaches and acid reflux you will deal with- it's not worth it. Go with Revel or Clover. Pass on this. You end up paying more in lost time, chargeback fees, and waste money on a subscription that doesn't even provide you with enough support.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

The price was more affordable and they gave us a discount.

Tony from Hessen Haus

Industry: Restaurants

Our company's experience with Toast has been pretty terrible.

The benefits we have gotten are overshadowed by the drawbacks.

Pros

The front end functionality is pretty good, though not as good as it was sold. Aloha was better. There are features such as drag and drop table transfers that are pretty neat. Splitting checks is very easy.

Cons

I researched Toast very thoroughly and went through many hours of Q&A with the sales team. I feel duped. I should have dug deeper and gotten more personal feedback from current users. The platform has certain features that are very good, but not enough to outweigh all of the bad. Hands down the worst part of it are their service and support after the sale. If I ever get through to support, they typically have to call me back with a solution...which never happens. My account "manager" responds to every communication with regurgitated boilerplate BS and has yet to solve any of my issues. We have frequent issues with our card readers, and our warranty period is up in November. They won't replace the crap readers with the newer upgrades. You don't get nearly the functionality and ease of use on the back end that you pay for. The reporting features are weak at best. The inventory module is terrible. They claim you can use the tablets to do inventory...which is true, but it takes 4x longer to do it that way because you can't select the fields to enter the numbers and then when you do, often times the quantities change. My account "manager" replied to my complaints about this with "Our inventory module may not be as robust as you need, maybe you could add on one of our partner software companies." Short story: Run from Toast and never look back. I regret the move every single day.

Response from Toast Tab

Replied July 2018

Tony - We're sorry to hear that Toast has not lived up to your expectations. Hardware reliability and support responsiveness are top priorities for us. We recently covered our plan for staffing and additional resources in the Live Q&A with Toast Leadership (watch it here: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Webinars-Toast-Leadership). Please note that this video requires a Toast login. We're committed to making your experience with Toast a positive one. Your Restaurant Success Manager is not a technical expert, but is there to advocate on your behalf. She will work with you to ensure you get what you need out of our product.

Brayan Agostinho from SOAINT

Excellent application to manage restaurants in a fully automated way

Pros

As a software developer I have had the opportunity to see this mobile application and I think it's really great everything he does. is an excellent tool for restaurants where it offers a good system of administration of restaurants based on the cloud and where it calls more attention is its integration of points of sale to this software built in android operating system. the application has a comfortable and easy to use interface and where there is enough documentation. Its products include: receipt printer, cash box, kitchen display screen and card slip.

Cons

I really do not have a negative comment about this application, the only thing I can mention is that for a small company it could be a bit expensive to acquire this system. I believe that this application can continue to grow and continue to improve its application more and more both in the backend and in the frontend to make it more attractive.

Toast POS review

Great young team of professionals

Pros

Love that it is built on the android platform and technically you can use your android phone to run the system.

Cons

Since it is cloud based, if your Internet goes down your POS will still run but in "offline mode"

Response from Toast

Replied January 2019

It is great that you are taking advantage of the Android platform! We like to think of our Offline Mode capabilities as a pro. As you know, your internet connection may go out from time to time, but it does not hinder the ordering process thanks to the local area network connection provided by the router. Offline Mode allows you to continue to place orders, print tickets, and receipts, and take credit card payments until the connection is reestablished and you are back online.

August 2016

Jonathan from IL Primo Pizza & Wings

August 2016

Toast POS!!

Toast has been a great overall experience thus far for my 5 restaurants. The functionality is amazing as well as the back end . All of employees hands down prefer this software over what we use to have. Offline Mode is amazing!! No more phone calls because the internet went down

Pros

Your able to do anything you really want. With 5 stores I love the fact that when I make a change on one restaurant it make the exact same change on the other 4. Offline Mode is huge considering what we had before. 24/7 Technical Support is nice although at times they just tell you they do not know the answer and will call you back but 9/10 they never do call back.

Cons

Technical Support is so-so. Like I said, sometimes they don;t know the answer to a question and will tell you theyll call back but do not. Some features I like are not available yet but they are constantly doing updates so Im sure thatll change.

February 2015

Erik from Metzy's Taqueria, LLC (www.metzys.com)

February 2015

Toast rocks for us!

Pros

Service, support, simplicity, reporting, integrated payment processing, online ordering, and overall functionality. When we launched our business, we had purchased a competitor of Toast's product that ran on iOS platform. Based on our needs and our gourmet mobile food business model, it seemed to be a great fit. But when we attempted to implement the other software, we ran into a variety of problems from the outset, and after 2 weeks of struggling to get the other system up and going, we realized we needed to find a different solution. Toast literally saved us! Their tech engineers were on site the day after we connected with them, and they set up up for success instantly! My favorite thing to say about Toast is that it just works! But it is also much more than that. It is a very robust and integrated tool that is available at pricing that is almost embarrassingly fair. A true "Champagne Product for those on a Beer Budget," to quote my uncle.

Cons

Inability so far to offer custom app(s) to help manage and monitor the business from remote locations. This is kind of nitpicky because the ability is there; it just requires signing into site. But I would like to have a self-controlled mobile app that I can use to monitor very specific data points on a real-time basis.

Brian from MonAlyssa

Greatest POS Move

From start to years later every process has been easy and customer service is always there to quickly answer your calls.

Pros

the ease of use our staff quickly gets the hang of how o use the system so training is quick.

Cons

we had a few things that we did not like when we first started but through the years they have started implementing updates so they have heard all our concerns and features we all need to operate.

Response from Toast

Replied April 2019

Hi Brian, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm glad your staff found our POS easy to use and find that our product updates are meeting your restaurant's needs. Make sure you keep an eye out for our monthly newsletter to stay up to date on new product features!

Alexandra from State Park

Modern POS system with functional features

Peace of mind, modern and easy to use especially with staff who is accustomed to cloud based software.

Pros

I enjoy the easy access without fussiness, it allows for customizable features that work for our restaurant, it makes updating menu items/labor simple instead of a headache that it was on other POS systems. I think the ease of functionality lies in their cloud based system that allows you to run credit cards even when offline.

Cons

Response from Toast Tab

Replied April 2018

So glad to hear that Toast has worked so well for State Park, Alexandra. As you know, we're constantly working to improve performance and optimize the system for restaurants like yours. Thanks for all your great feedback!

Sarah from Toast

Toast fits like a expertly tailored suit!

Toast can be whatever you want out of a POS system- you can customize all settings to fit your needs or if you want something you don't have to be too involved in and you want to keep it simple, Toast can do that too. They are always introducing new features and ways to make your life easier- and if you think of something they haven't added yet, you can request it and it will be added if other users and restaurants like the idea too. Hardware and software are integrated well and easy to use, and if there's ever a problem then 24/7 support (not robots, real Toast employees!) is only a phone call or email away.

Pros

user- friendly, simple, customizable, intuitive, fast.

Cons

Android's operating system took some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it then it's a cakewalk.

Matthew from Scott's Seafood

Toast

Overall it has been a great experience and a seamless transition from our previous POS system.

Pros

Very easy to navigate and super easy to customize from the POS device itself, don't have to make trips to the office. It is very in depth with its customizations and sub menus. Also love how I can access the back end information remotely from any device.

Cons

There hasn't been many issues with the software itself, just sometimes with the hardware. The printers they provided we have had to replace and sometimes their servers do go offline.

Response from Toast

Replied January 2020

Hi Matthew, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear that your transition to Toast has been seamless and valuable for your restaurant. Thanks for the review!

Jennifer from Deli Boys

Industry: Restaurants

Very reliable and user friendly

Overall it was one of the best POSS systems I used.

Pros

Easy to teach and edit POS that is specific to the restaurant industry.

Cons

I would have liked to seen it have an employee schedule system integrated into the POS. Not just a simple time clock.

Response from Toast

Replied January 2019

Hi Jennifer- Jasmine from Toast here. I'm happy to hear you find our POS system reliable and user friendly! We do have integrated employee scheduling partners. For more information on our existing labor scheduling partners, visit pos.toasttab.com/integrations or reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager/Toast Support.

Paul from Tavern On The Wharf

Confusion of support

The support is lacking. You always get a tech to speak tech and when they look at your system they find other problems to fix and never help fix the one you need help with. You pay a monthly fee but they charge you for the support anyhow. The Sales staff can not work the system so don't bother asking them for minor help.

Pros

Back office is easy to use.

Cons

The cash management is so confusing we can never get it correct. They think they are making it better but they don't and the training is very lacking in that area.

July 2016

Jack from Paris Restaurant Group

July 2016

Toast is The Most!

I moved our restaurant from Aldelo to Toast, and I've found it to be a Very Good Decision. Streets ahead of the competition.

Pros

Competitive processing rate, excellent customization, great integrated online ordering, cloud-based reporting so I can take care of all kinds of tasks from anywhere I have internet, and the list goes on.

Cons

I wish the monthly fee were a bit less.

Response from Toast Tab

Replied July 2016

Thanks so much for the great review, Jack! We really appreciate all the referrals you've sent our way.

Matt from Wing It On!

Huge leap forward from our NCR Aloha experience

We switched from NCR Aloha to Toast within our franchise system and it has been a huge leap forward. We went from an archaic product full of unnecessary layers of complexity to a streamlined solution that our entire team loves. Sure there are occassional issues as technology is an imperfect solution, but the Toast team certainly tries harder to resolve issues than some of the other bigger guys we've worked with in the past, including NCR.

Pros

UI is simple and friendly Software is modern and intuitive New features are constantly being developed

Cons

Level 1 tech support is just as useless as most other companies. Our assigned account rep has gone on vacation more in the past year than I have in my life.

Daniel from Banditos Cantina Y Restaurante

The Hand Held Device is Groundbreaking

While getting my n business under way, I was a gneral manager at Banditos Cantina. I have been in the hspitality business a long time and mostly used Micros. I was introduced to Toast Systems and it blew my mind. The hand held device has changed everything. No more waiting for a terminal to put an order in or print a check. You can do it from anywhere in the restaurant. Increases in sales, tp and table turnovers where through the roof!

Pros

Not having to go to a terminal to put in a food or drink order is amazing! It saves so much time and hassle.

Cons

Had no problems with the system during my time as manager.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2018

Daniel - Yes!!! The value your seeing from the Toast Go handhelds is exactly the intent we had when we built the product. We're thrilled to hear the Toast Go is helping your restaurant reduce turn times and increase tips. We're excited to continue to help you to thrive!

September 2016

Jamey from Grayling Restaurant

September 2016

Toast POS Review

Fantastic customer service. Easy to learn if you have prior computer and POS experience. Reliable and efficient

Pros

Ease of back end work making menus...reporting etc .

Cons

Not many cons that I can think of...have to reset register tablet fairly often due to unresponsive touch screen.

Ben from Crust

Toast

Very good experience. All problems were dealt with quickly and resolved.

Pros

Cons

I really didnt have anything I didn't like about the software. Easy to use and easy to train on is a winner in my book.

Response from Toast

Replied November 2019

Hi Ben, Jasmine from Toast here. Thanks for the review. We're happy to hear your new hires find Toast easy to learn!

William from Limestone Blue

Industry: Restaurants

Toast will change your business for the better! Save your business money with toast! New toast customer.

Pros

We love our Toast POS system! We have been with Toast for a couple of months now and it is one of the best business decisions we have ever made! We used to have to pay 2 separate companies for POS and one for online ordering.. with Toast it's ALL IN ONE (and cheaper than both of the old companies). Toast also offers very thorough accounting and inventory software that makes it easy for us to see where o. ur money is coming and going! The software is very user-friendly. We are happy we joined and can't wait to see what this growing company has in store for the future!

Cons

Would like the option to have both digital and print receipts available after every transaction, I'm sure they will find a way.