• Pros

• "Audacity is clear cut and straight to the point. Simple to use and free, a great piece of music software."

• "Audacity has the kind of editing features you would normally expect from a fairly hi-end paid-for sequencer and it's getting more sophisticated all the time."

• "When you just need a quick, free, and easy DAW/Audio Editor to get up and running. Look no further than Audacity."

• Cons

• "Very few cons. Perhaps it's not quite as robust as the big three when it comes to racking up multi-channel takes but certainly shouldn't put you off."

• "Audacity sometime crashes unannounced. But very rarely. One has to save the data very frequently to be on the safe side."

• "It is a little glitchy upon start up. I have to plug my Rode mic into the USB before opening the program, otherwise it will not detect the mic. "

Browse Audacity Reviews

Alain Jove from Telecommunications

Audacity an it's awesome functionality

Overall, I highly recommend this awesome app and I never had any crashes even with my previous old computer.

Pros

I love this app for its ease of usage, it is lightweight, has a portable version that can be easily saved to a thumb drive, has comparable functionalities compared to Fruity Loops, Sony Vegas and Wave Pad. These are just the ones I used and can compare it with but I can say it is a very excellent app in comparison with the ones I mentioned.

Cons

The lame.dll file is just sometimes not detected and you have to download it to export the audio to an mp3 file. Although you can still export it as a .wav file. The available files online are sometimes not compatible to the version and nothing else is available.

Reasons for Choosing Audacity

Compared to the other apps, audacity is super lightweight and I don't have o install it due to its portable version.

Pressilla from Eternal Insurance

Great for Beginners

Overall I had a good experience with Audacity. It's a basic recording software with enough features to get you started. Over-time I added Plug ins to enhance it and it worked pretty well with other software. The biggest downfall was the constant crashes that were not always preventable. It's free and is great if you are on a tight budget. It served it's purpose and gave me an opportunity to record music that sounded like great demos.

Pros

This software is free which made it great for starters. I was just starting out with recording music, jingles and vocals for my then company. Works great on both Windows and Mac, and the installation process was fairly easy. They updated the software which made it run even smoother and less freeze-ups. I was able to record multi-tracks, record live audio, convert records into digital recordings, and record audio to cds. My favorite part was that it was compatible with Mp3, Wav and Aiff files. It gave me the capability to mix sounds together, adjust playback speed, tempo and even change the pitch to one higher or lower. Another big thing about Audacity is that they allow users to make improvements and share it with others, something not too many big companies do with similar software.

Cons

It had many bugs which caused slowdowns. Overtime it got better but bugs still persisted throughout continued use so it crashed a lot while I used it. It doesn't have a variety of mixing capabilities and features for making a professional recordings. It takes a lot of time to learn to use the program

aka from Webtaskr

A Bold and an Audacious Friend - Audacity

The overall performance of Audacity is superb and I am not looking anywhere else unless a got a lot of money to spend. Ha! Ha!

Pros

The most amazing part of audacity is that it is free and open-source and can be used on any OS, be it Windows, a macOS, or even GNU/Linux. It is very easy-to-use, also has a multi-track audio editor and even a recorder for all operating systems. The group of volunteers who developed it as open-source are also really helpful.

Cons

It has certain limited features that are needed for professional-level audio editing. But for beginners and intermediates, it is more than enough. The user interface could have been improved a little as per the latest standards.

Manase from N-SOUND Studio

Industry: Music

Simple software but amazing for a number of reasons.

This was so much helpful as a beginner in music production. It taught me how to layer tracks and mix too... Basic concepts easily learned in audacity.

Pros

The easy and friendly interface in thos software is o overwhelming. You can teach yourself almost everything at one look or use. Simple but professional tools to use for multitrack mixing and editing.

Cons

Application mode of effects to the audio tracks

Modise from SWC

Industry: Graphic Design

Soft Review

For ware, its size to my utter disbelieves its a miracle worker. It packs serious agility for anything in its range. It does really edit sound, though concerted ( deals exceeding well with hissing). It is also utterly unbelievable that you can use it so vividly to eliminate unwanted pauses and front noises (breaths though stealing the back sounds), for it just to be able to negate the waves and pick out something for its package size means a lot of concerted engineering. I still stick to aggregates though, like dealing with outdoor takes editing, for it fares well against white noise and all high noises (air hissing) real well.

Pros

An aptly incredulous little audio editor. Not much of a big machine tool but for the aggregate sound guy like a videographer where you are not supposed to separate sound elements but rather desire to leave the aggregated sound clean without separation, it works exceeding fine. It is an ideal little ware that does not even need installation for the most part and it cleans the general sound really well. the other beautiful thing is it can do that to the unamplified sound too, which is generally problematic to sound software, with real good spec inducing, you can bass up or lighten pitch by factoring, so being able to get the right back sounds for your video or single-channel export. Good for the guy who wants an edit of a bundled in an exportable and playable in almost all devices track. the good thing being you are able to convert to a number of consumable formats as much as professional one.

Cons

It is not good for noise separation, as demanded by a sound professional. It rather works well for aggregates, and cannot separate a single sound data to multiple elaborate sounds. in the case of separation, more of a single track enclosed recording ware, where all the unwanted background noises are pre-eliminated or rather a sound aggregate for the video guy.

Samuel from Fuse13

Still a Winner free Audio Editing Tool

Started using this I think back in 1999 and it is amazingly simple to master. I've used it for some small production work and also as a tool for radio production students to use.

Pros

It's FREE. What can you say! And it packs a punch above the rest still to this day. In a world where we are bought into cloud-based subscriptions for everything, Audactity is still pushing this out for free. It does a wide range of things and is easy to use.

Cons

It is no Adobe Audition although it's her poor cousin. It will do loads although for major audio editing projects and professional production work you will begin to see where it falls behind. The interface is basic although still makes it so simple to use.

Reasons for Choosing Audacity

It was free and I had students at the time

Tousif from University of Delaware

Industry: Research

Best free audio capture tool!

Overall audacity is one of the bests and easiest free audio recording and recoding tool for beginners. I love it.

Pros

I like playing guitars with backing tracks. I love Audacity because it is very easy to use and make my own backing tracks. It can capture high quality sounds from other apps as well. For example, I make the backing tracks in Guitar pro 5.2 and capture them using Audacity. This software is very light and free! Additionally I record my own tones every now an then using this software.

Hesandu from Team Z4

A great audio editing and recording software...

We used this software for more than a year. We used it for record small audios and podcasts. A great free software.

Pros

A good free software to record and edit audios. A multi track audio editor. Available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux too. Great for mixing audios. Very easy to use. Best free audio editing software that I have used.

Cons

No customer support. Since it's a free software nothing to dislike.

Christian from CCMUSIC

Wow!

I used this software in the past, but after that i changed computer i had to use another software, but this was my favourite for the functions that can do and for the semplicity.

Pros

It's simple graphically but is one of the best audio software i used in my entire career, simple to use, multiple functions and you can add plugins (autotune etc), really loved it, and it's open source!

Cons

honestly, when i used this software, i tried every function and plugin.. honestly for me this software has no cons.

Dusan from The School of Electrical and Computer Engineering of Applied Studies

A Practical Audio Editing Software

I've known of audacity since elementary school and have occasionally used it here and there to do a quick edit on my music files. Needless to say, I am happy with its simplicity.

Pros

Audacity is a free program for editing audio files. Not only can you cut a song shorter for your favorite part, but you may also copy audios from certain tracks and paste them onto others, mixing and mashing them. There are other functionalities like increasing the overall volume of an audio file, accelerating or slowing its speed, as well as recording your own audio.

Cons

Since it is a simpler tool and thus relatively easy to utilize, even for starters, it does lack a specific number of additional functionalities which other audio editing apps possess.

Sassica from SongBird 629

Industry: Music

Everyday Value and keeps getting better

This is a must have for freelancers. With everything going on right now, everyone is trying to save money and this program works well and adds value to my recordings. I use it personally and love that it is always improving. Occasionally I hit snags but that's common and is to be expected with open software. I have no complaints with this software and will continue to use it.

Pros

I love that it's easy to use. The best part for me is that you can download additional features and Plug-ins or even create your own if you know some coding. They make it easy to install Plug-ins and has built in support to help users out. I record live audio in different sessions. It doesn't limit how many projects I can work at a time like some other programs. Very flexible & allows me to use a bunch of different file format like WAV, AIFF, and MP3. The mixing tool is simple so I can easily mix tracks myself and bounce them out to cds or store for use in media players, or for uploading online. And I forgot to mention that it is 100% FREE!

Cons

It's an open software, which has some cons. Users make changes and adjustments which can impact the software negatively, and from time to time, you may have to download the latest version of the software for optimization. Since the update is not automatic like other programs, it can be time consuming. It didn't work well on my HP laptop, so I had to put the program on my computer which has faster programming and it seems to fix the issue.

Lack of flexibility

Nhan from Liftingfreak

Audacity has everything for newbies

Pros

If you are not a professional audio editor then this is the software for you. 1 / Spend Zero Money: Audacity is a free open-source software. I sometimes record myself singing and post it on social media, I need a little editing. So I don't need to spend money on professional audio editing software like adobe audition, FL Studio, .... (if needing more complicated edit I will use professional software). 2 / Super lightweight: There are also professional software that have free version, but with less features. By comparison, that free version is exactly the same as Audacity. And Audacity is much lighter. Suitable for both old PCs and laptops. 3 / Regular Update: The latest version of Audacity is 3.0.0. Now using aup3 unitary project file format. Over 160 bugs fixed. 4 / Good Support: Audacity is a team of people working together. So they provide quick support.

Cons

Because it is very light and simple to reach users. The defect is that the interface is not beautiful. But okay. Easy to use for newbies.

Michael from MIKEGALGANO

Great Solution for Audio Waveform Editing

Pros

If you are looking for a great solution for editing sound files, look no further than Audacity. I'm not sure if there is a paid version but the free version is fully functional as far my observation in using the product. It makes it very easy to convert audio files to different formats, or perform most of the common and a lot of advanced tasks you would expect. With most users having their music collection in the form of mp3 files, Audacity is very for trimming files for length, increasing the volume, etc. Great all around audio editor.

Cons

So far I have not run across anything with the software that I feel is lacking or would improve. Certainly for the price (free!) it is great just the way it is.

Stefan from Insight Music

Audacity works extremely well

fantastic, I've used this for maybe 15 years! Will continue to do so!

Pros

Cons

It can look rather dated, but it's a free piece of software. It lacks a few functions and features, but that really isn't an issue.

Anna from Self-Employed

Not top of the line, but still exceptional for a free program

I'm sure I can get more precise editing features and tools with other (more expensive) audio editing software, but the fact that Audacity is free to use, I cannot complain about it. It has helped me with many voice over jobs and auditions.

Pros

As a voice over artist, I use Audacity to record and edit voice overs in my home studio, and then export them into mp3 or wav files. It does what I need it to do. I typically don't add filters or do much sound quality editing, outside of adjusting volume and cutting and pasting sections.

Cons

William from The GeeksFTW!

Great Audio Editing Program

The experience with Audacity has been a positive one. It has allowed us to easily learn and produce professional sounding audio that we are proud to release to our audience.

Pros

It has a wide variety of features to use in order to make your audio sound professional. My favorite feature is the Truncate silence feature that will automatically remove any silence that is longer than a set time you select. This allows us to easily remove pauses and moments where we are thinking and not speaking in our recordings.

Cons

The interface hasn't changed in years and has pretty much remained the same as it was when we started using it over 10 years ago.

Robert from Nostairway Media

The best free audio editor out there

Very quick and easy to use, audio engine competes with pro level software and it's free!

Reasons for Choosing Audacity

It's complicated and sometimes costs more to use pro-audio sequencers across several machines. Audacity gives you most of the features free and quick.

Chris from Human Resources

amazing that this is free

very happy with it. pleased that I don't have to spend money on a program. this does all that I need.

Pros

This is the standard for anyone starting to learn audio recording/editing and it does a great job. I used it to record a podcast and later for videos. It offers many post features. I'm still a recording novice and this program is so easy to learn and play with. Can't believe it's free

Cons

I've had no problems so far. It seems idiot proof. and any questions I have are answered on youtube since it's such a popular program.

One of the best!

I’ve used Audacity for over ten years and it’s given me no reason to use paid software since it offers the exact same features for free.

Pros

The software is unbeatable for what it offers. Being entirely free and allowing unlimited customization through added plug ins, is a complete game changer. The interface is also easy to use for first time users or audio editing beginners.

Cons

I wish there was a “tabbed” option so I could work on multiple audio files at once instead of having to jump window to window.

Oluwasegun from Self-employed

Audacity review

Audacity is a free and easy to use audio recording software, I will recommend this for anyone who wants to edit an audio recording. Because it noise reduction effect is not very good, I have noticed that outdoor recording have so much of background noise and the Audacity software is not giving me the silence was expecting from the effect.

Pros

As a music minister, I use Audacity for my personal and concert audio recordings and audio editing. Amazingly, this software is free! Lots of people will pay to have this software. It also generates automatic crash recovery of my recordings should my laptop battery run down while recording.

Cons

I am finding it difficult to separate vocals, I wonder if the effect really works because my attempts have proved abortive. It's noise reduction is not the best I have seen.

Chidi from UCONN

Audacity works

Audacity was my first try at using audio-editing software. It's versatile and very functional if you understand how to use it. Like most things, once you put time into the practice, and take a moment to gather some understanding, it certainly pays off. (Especially since it's free)

Pros

Audacity is there for you when you need to edit audio NOW and really don't want to use/have access to other audio-edititing suites. It's a great place to start and can certainly help point you in the proper direction for future audio work.

Cons

Audacity is a tad bit lenient on the Ease of Access. If not through looking up videos online, a majority of the things you learn in how to use it will be determined through trial and error- though this can apply to a number of editing software as well.

Ben from William James Development

Great Free App For Editing/Recording Audio

Although the user interface can be overwhelming at times, there are plenty of online resources to help you out when stuck. Once you have the basics under your belt, Audacity is a very handy tool to have in your arsenal. A great open source product.

Pros

Audacity is perfect for simple edits and audio clean ups. I use it for recording podcasts and tutorials and would recommend it to anyone looking for a simple audio editor

Cons

Sometimes the user interface leaves a lot to be desired. It can feel clunky at times and counter intuitive.

Everything you probably need regarding audio editing

I have been using Audacity in the last 10 years, normally to edit recorded voices that I combine with music or sound effects to distant learning (animations or video formats). In these 10 years I change all other tools to work with image, video and animation being Audacity that remained in my tool set.

Pros

It's quite complete regarding editing tools, the interface is very intuitive and there are several export formats. Let me remark that is amazing so many features in a free SW

Cons

Some of the features are complex to understand and consequently to utilize, then at a certain point you may stop the learning regarding those features

Price and complexity

Steven from Pioneer Baptist Church

Our go to audio software

I have used Audacity regularly for recording our services as well as recording and editing audio for podcasts I have done and have been satisfied with Audacity for both uses.

Pros

Audacity has all the features needed for recording our weekly services as well editing audio for various podcasts I do.

Cons

Some of the editing settings are not user friendly. To get the most use out of it you need to find separate plug-ins and encoders.

Powerful audio editing software.

Audacity is easy to learn. You can easily consult their resources online

Pros

It's free! Most of the editing software available command a very expensive price, Audacity easily competes with the other software with ease. Audacity is easy to learn.

Cons

As with other programs you may need to purchase specialized plugins that would improve your experience. I would say that this is fair as the program is free and would let you edit all your projects without limit.

Reasons for Choosing Audacity

I preferred Audacity's reverb plugin.

John from 6202

Industry: Music

Totally impressed - I am back!

Free software that does everything I need it to. The interface is familiar. If you've used audio editing software before you will be able to get around Audacity without a problem.

Pros

I tried Audacity in its earlier stages and it didn't have enough of the features I use. However, I just tried it again and I am very impressed with everything that has been added! I've been using Sound Forge forever and Audacity has caught up with the features I use. I predominantly use normalization and also pitch-shifting up and down with the ability to keep the duration so the song doesn't speed up or slow down. Works perfectly!

Cons

From what I can tell, you cannot edit one side of a stereo file without editing another. My apologies if I am wrong, but it's the only thing I've noticed so far. I should say that this is not a feature I would have much use for.

Price

Nathan from NTreizel

Industry: Music

It's a good software to mix audio

Pros

The facility to use ,the VST that are integrated

Cons

It's limited compared to a DAW and we can't change audio on a video

Sam from Self-Employed

Great Audio Product

Pros

What I really like about this software was the amount of features it offers. With so many features it makes it a very compelling software to use as it can do almost everything that I want, so that I do not have to be constantly changing software's to get a project completed.

Cons

The thing I liked least about this software was its slightly outdated look. It is not the most modern looking or feeling software to use.

Jack from University of Bath

Great for Free

I've primarily used Audacity for preparing recordings and other audio for film, and for this purpose it's great.

Pros

The price is great (free!), you won't find better free software for basic editing of sound for any application, removing white noise, etc. If you just want to make minor tweaks and adjustments, Audacity is the one for you.

Cons

It's not the most function packed piece of software, but it is free so that's understandable really.

German Liber from Raro&Oscuro

Free to use, hard to learn

Audacity it's free, and you can't really complain about the cons on it. Overall experience with small works on audio was good. It's not useful for producing music or using it as a DAW though.

Pros

Audacity is the most known free audio editor in the world. Some people call it a "DAW", but I feel like it's not. I used Audacity a lot in the past only for converting files to .mp3 or compressing them, it's perfect for it. There are some EQ and filter tools that works great too. In my opinion, it's a perfect companion to make some tweaks, cut and fix small details on an audio while you work on another software.

Cons

If you want to produce music with it, prepare for some stressful hours. The user experience is not too good, tools are useful but limited, slow processing and not intuitive at all. Learning curve is slow and frustrating, specially if you want to work with different tracks.

Amy from Drop Bass Not Bombs

A must for audiobook recording and podcasts!

Now with Audacity I am able to record audiobooks and podcasts for free right from my home.

Pros

As someone with no education or experience in audio editing I found Audacity whilst getting into audiobook and podcast recording. The software is easy to use, totally free, and produces high quality audio.

Cons

A more informative tutorial with download would be helpful.

Great for Podcasters

I produced an episode of a podcast on my own with no experience, so I'm pretty happy with it!

Pros

I love that it allows you to have multiple tracks you can edit separately for FREE. As someone interested in podcasting, most of it is relatively intuitive.

Cons

I think a guided tutorial for beginners would be fantastic. It's pretty easy to find information online though.

Priscilla from Education Services

Free to use audio editor

Pros

It's free!! I mostly use it for audio reduction, isolation, volume enhancement, change of speed. So many functions are available within a download. I find that when it comes to audio reduction/isolation, it is much easier than GarageBand. Also, for windows users who do not own a Mac, this may be your free best bet.

Cons

There are some functions/features that I have to google before attempting it, so I would say it's not 100% user-friendly. The design is old-school but I am fine with that.

Juan Manuel from Taraborelli design

Great free audio editor

I use it to edit sounds or music that I later incorporate into video in other software.

Pros

It is a software to edit audio in a practical way and without lapses, it has everything I need to record and improve sounds.

Cons

For the work that I do sound editing, I do not find any cons, it is at the same level as any other paid software.

Russell from Self Employed

Simple. Elegant. Free.

Perfect for what I need it for. Quick, cross-platform audio tooling.

Pros

Cons

The interface leaves something to be desired aesthetically, but that is also fairly consistent with the freeware/open-source world.

Angela from TeRetoALeer

Industry: Broadcast Media

Record myself has never been easier

I use it to record my podcast and to play I'm singing. Always have great results.

Pros

Record and editing tools are asy and convenient to use.

Cons

It is not user friendly. All great tools are hard to find. Is needed to search different types of users tutorials on the web.

User Killer

I wanted to edit an audio recording of about 5 minutes, but it cost me about 30 minutes. The result is a huge zero. Software needs major changes

Pros

The only thing that pleases me is that this software may be its size. This software has disappointed me greatly

Cons

The interface is too complicated and I couldn't find what to find. The help section is also very limited. A complete fiasco

shawn from Deranged Records South Inc.

WHAT A HORRIBLE SOFTWARE

DID NOT ENJOY THE SOFTWARE NOT A GOOD WAY TO RECORD YOUR MUSIC

Pros

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR MUSIC BY RECORDING IT EDITING IT AND HAVING IT SAVED TO FORMAT MP3 WAVES YOU CAN ADD YOUR MUSIC SOUNDTRACKS TO VOICE OVER

Cons

IT CRASHES FREQUENTLY AND I BELEIVE IT HAS VIRUSES IN THE PROGRAM BECAUSE I QUIT USING IT DO TO THAT PROBLEM

Good sound recording software

Very satisfied with the consistent quality of sound.

Pros

One of the best free recording software. It has a nice user-friendly interface, which makes it easy to use even for people who have never edited before. It also stops recording when sound is not detected to avoid recording for hours when you forget to pause or stop the recording.

Cons

Do not have the option to record both sounds from your microphone and from the computer at the same time.