Browse Shotcut Reviews

Michael from Knowledge School

A Must Have For Amateur Video Editors

A true delight if I have to be honest. It made the work so much better.

Pros

If the fact that Shoctut is open source (free) isn't enough for you to use it allow me to go deeper. Shotcut is a very simple and easy to use video editor. Before using more sophisticated software for video editing it was what helped me get familiar with a lot of concepts that were completely alien to me and it taught me how to use channels and separate audio from the video files and other useful things that looked too complicated to do in similar software. Usually when you open video editing software you're met with so many buttons and so much information that it gets scary to even try. Shotcut was what allowed me to start with its simple and minimalistic interface. You have all the necessary information and buttons to work with and if and only if you want to go deeper you'll have to face the more complex functions of the software. I think that my favorite thing about Shotcut is how easy it is to create proxies for heavy videos. Similar software requires an additional encoder when with Shotcut it's a simple 3-5 step process. It's a must for who is starting out and feels like the popular software is either too expensive or too overwhelming.

Cons

As you could probably expect Shotcut doesn't have some of the features of the higher end video editing software such as powerful color correction. Other than that I have no complaints. The software is really good and lightweight and even has a portable version.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

I made the switch simply because more developed software looks too complicated with the amount of information that is shown in the interface. Shotcut removed that and has a more simple hands down approach with how much is presented.

Gerald from Shine Thru Productions

Fantastic Free Open Source Video Editor

So far I've had no problems with Shotcut. Since the amount of scene transitions is limited I find myself concentrating more on the quality of the scenes themselves instead of the transitions, which is a good thing. This program is perfect for those on a budget or for a beginner. If you can master Shotcut, you'll be in perfect shape to advance to a more expensive program later on. This will definitely teach you the basics for free before you decide to lay out your cash. All in all I'm very pleased with Shotcut, I highly recommend it.

Pros

You can't beat the price (Free!). This program gets the job done. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as expensive programs but it does plenty enough to do most basic projects. I've done numerous music videos and little comedy skits that I've uploaded to YouTube and they come out great. They look totally professional and the feedback I've gotten has been very positive. My action camera records in .mov format which is hard to edit with. I convert my raw files to .mp4 which makes editing much easier and I'm unable to discern any loss of video quality. All in all, Shotcut has been a great choice for me.

Cons

Some of the functions aren't intuitive. It takes a little while to figure out how everything works. Also it's slow while it publishes your final work but if you're patient it's well worth the wait to save money. It lacks a variety of scene transitions that more expensive programs have but it does have the basics.

Reasons for Choosing Shotcut

I was looking at Filmora because I had used it in the past on someone else's computer. At the time I didn't have enough to buy Filmora and the free version wasn't going to allow me to finish the project I was working on. I came across Shotcut and decided to give it a try. I finished my project and many more. I keep telling myself that I'll upgrade when Shotcut can't do the job for me. Well that time hasn't come yet.

Arturo from Marke-think

The free video editor that everyone should try out

Honestly to be free, this video editor makes you fulfill that dream of being a video editor for a major company or for some famous influencer, as it fully meets your expectations and can be somewhat confusing at first, but the truth is enough just to look at some video for beginners for this software, and you get used to the editor quickly, very satisfied and I see very few disadvantages to this software.

Pros

The advantages that this software has, are quite a few, since the more you go searching among the tools, the more you can get the most out of your video, I could consider it quite professional, since it has a very comfortable interface and you feel that you are doing a very good job for your personal projects and convert them even in studio quality videos, since when you finish your video, you can choose with any format for the type of social network to which you want to upload it. And all this for being free, I really highly recommend this video editor meets almost all your expectations, with settings to switch between the different layers you go making, your audio, video and photos. So you can give it an even more professional look.

Cons

It could be that there are many tools, which can get confusing and thus take you some time to get used to the software format, another could be that, as we are talking about a professional video editor, obviously, this application will consume a lot of your computer, so I do recommend having about 8 GB of RAM, a good processor and maybe a good graphic card, to be able to support this application, because if you don't have space in the RAM or you don't have a good processor, the application becomes somewhat slow and it could even stop and quit, so take into account to be able to save your work before.

Roshen from Roshen Game Store

Industry: Computer Games

Shotcut: The Free Editor You Have Been Missing Out On

Overall, I think Shotcut is a great free video editor that anyone can use after a little bit of practice and through some of my testing I found out that it can even process some raw 8K footage from a camera we rented.

Pros

What I liked most about the software was that it had the features of a professional video editor such as Adobe Premiere Pro. It could also process 4K HDR 10 video at 120FPS which other video editors struggled to render these types of video formats. My favorite part about it is that it doesn't have an ANNOYING WATERMARK. Basically some of the other editors I tried showed a giant watermark across the screen that said the company name or it said Free Version but Shotcut has no watermark.

Cons

Originally when my team picked this software for free I thought it was going to be easy to use but I thought wrong. But after a few days of learning I was using Shotcut in no time. I just think people should know that because it isn't easy to learn at the start doesn't mean you can't learn it.

Reasons for Choosing Shotcut

Once I used Filmora I thought it was a great software since it was easy to use and it was efficient. But there was a watermark. I was open to paying a little bit of money if it allowed us to edit our videos well but we also didn't make that many videos so we didn't want to pay a lot of money. But 59.99 is a ridiculous price and we need editing for two computer so I wasn't going to break the bank for Filmora

Clive from Health Hacker

Shotcut Review

Pros

As a someone new to video editing I was looking for for free software to start a YouTube channel and edit videos. It's open source and free so that was great!

Cons

As a newbie to video edoti6it was really daunting and I could not find a simple beginners guide to using this software

Michael from Prayer Pursuits

Great video editing but a steep learning curve

We have been used to doing "once and done" v instructional videos for a while now and that has worked well. When we decided we wanted to add more (graphics, multiple cameras, etc.) we began looking for a good yet inexpensive video editing software. Shotcut kept coming in near the top. It is not as user friendly as some yet it has enough features to do exactly what we need! I have had to do quite a bit of research on how to make Shotcut do what we need it to because the tutorials in the software are not user friendly. Overall it has been the best basic yet feature rich video editing software we have come across!

Pros

Shotcut is a great basic video editing software. For a basic user it is useful yet powerful. Using the basic setup I have been able to do all of the video editing of YouTube instructional videos without a hitch. It does not have an overabundance of features which is the best feature! It is not trying to do more than advertised.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve as tutorials are not as helpful as they could be. I found myself searching YouTube for tutorials and How-To videos every time I wanted to do something new.

Reasons for Choosing Shotcut

Ease of use, reputation among users.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

Needed more features (layering, graphic integration).

Danielle from Danielle Nocon

Get's the Job Done

Shotcut was great for starting to teach myself video editing. I was looking for an economical tool but didn't dare to hope for free. Then, a colleague highly recommended Shotcut, and I was very grateful for it.

Pros

When I was just starting out in video editing, the best thing about Shotcut was that it was free while still having the capacity to produce the results I was after. You can find plenty of tutorials on the Shotcut site and more on YouTube to help you get started. It has handy keyboard shortcuts for the handful of basic functions that I used most often. Once you get into the habit of using them, they make editing quicker. If you take the time to watch some tutorials, practice, and explore the features you realize that Shotcut is quite robust and full of possibilities for amazing results. I have even used it to make clips from a podcast which I could export a MP3 audio files.

Cons

The text feature always seemed clunky and not intuitive to me. The interface does not have an option for organizing your media into folders - it's just one long Playlist. But you can drag files around in the Playlist and group them by by file type or some other way that makes sense to you.

Craige Hardel from Hardel Enterprises

Awsome and well put togeether

I used it for a couple of course videos and it handled well especially on linux. Surprised at what we were able to get and actually completely most of our workload on time

Pros

It's functional and does most of what you'd want from an editor. Cross platform as well

Cons

lack greenscreen functionality. Struggled with slightly more advanced edits

Reasons for Choosing Shotcut

Simplier and less process intensive.

Sashana from The Glam Factory JA

Industry: Cosmetics

Great Video Editor!

Shotcut is a great video editor for anyone, especially persons who don't want to spend an arm and a leg on an editor. I would definitely recommend it.

Pros

This is a great video editor and it's free! I am a freelance makeup artist and I occasionally do tutorials on Instagram to promote my business. A friend of mine recommended I use Shotcut to edit my videos and I have not regretted taking her advice. Shotcut is a great video editor. It has all the basics for a video editor (cut, delete, overlay, text, zoom, etc.) and more. It has great features, a unique interface and definitely gets the job done to my satisfaction. I have not found myself spending any extra time editing than would normally be expected and only had a few hiccups. So, I would say it's pretty efficient.

Cons

Shotcut isn't the most user friendly video editor out there. While there are labels, I still found myself having to search thoroughly for the things I wanted to find and, at some points, I have had to consult Youtube videos for assistance. Also, the interface is really simple; simple to the point of looking bland, but this software definitely gets the job done. I would really love if there was a workable green screen option on Shotcut. This is a feature that I look for in video editors and while editing, I really missed it.

Gregg from ASSOCIATED CHURCH PRESS

Very good open source video editor

I was looking for a lightweight cross-platform video editing system for my laptop that could export easily to my more robust desktop editing platform and for basic edits and output for preview, and Shotcut will work well for this. I'm still undecided if it'll be a long term solution, but it is a surprisingly well thought out open source program that will fit many video editors' needs.

Pros

I'd like to start by saying Shotcut is a very good, multi-platform video editing solution. Even video editors with little to no experience will find the layout and usability of Shotcut to be appealing and usable. Import and organization of video files is straightforward and an array of basic editing tools will enable many users to complete high-quality video projects with little investment. Color grading and clip correction tools are surprisingly good for a free program. Another big plus is that it is lightweight, meaning it delivers a lot of power for a small program size and doesn't slow down real-time rendering trying to do too many other things.

Cons

Again, Shotcut is a very good video editing solution - up to a point. Once your project gets more complex, the clip organization, preview speed and ability to integrate pre-set transitions and titles falls a little short. It'll get the job done, but other tools offer a more robust option.

Rahul from KNPC

Industry: Oil & Energy

Best opensource video editor for Linux , Windows and Mac

Pretty good and stable product on Linux but its not that stable in low end windows machines

Pros

Very User friendly interface. All the list of keyboard shortcuts are available inside the app. Hardware acceleration. Completely free and opensource. Stable on Linux and Mac. Project autosaving feature is excellent. (Always save the file automatically even if app crashes) Large amount of export formats. Great amount of tutorials and great community.

Cons

The windows version is not that stable i encountered some crashes when i open keyframe editing for video effects (Well i run on a 4GB Ram not the recommended requirements of the developer). I found the app is not completely utilizing the ram on my windows version.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

Much better interface than Kdenlive and support for Hardware acceleration.

Heather from AVL Digital / CD Baby

Industry: Music

Best Free Video Editor for the Beginner!

Wonderful! At times a bit frustrating with the lag and sometimes overwhelming with the amount of options, especially when you have no idea what you're doing. BUT! There are a ton of free videos and tutorials both on Shotcut's website, as well as YouTube tutorials from users, and they're fantastic. You can use them as a tutorial to learn the software and the feature you want to use, and keep them bookmarked for references. But I admit, the 4K export option (while it can take a LONG time, depending on the length of your video) makes it incredibly worthwhile, especially if your exporting in a format to upload to YouTube. Definitely recommend for the beginning video editor!

Pros

1) This software is free to use with no watermarks or weird annoying ads. 2) It's fantastic for the beginning video editor. 3) Works perfectly on a PC where as I think most of the better video editors have been designed for Macs (personal opinion) 4) Allows you export in a large number of different formats, including YouTube in 4K resolution 5) So many options and features, it's almost overwhelming! 6) Fantastic interface!

Cons

If you're running other programs or working on a very big project, this can eat up your computer memory, causing lagging and freezing. Highly recommended to close all other programs before opening up Shotcut and using a computer or laptop with a fast processor. You can make due without it, but once you add any transitions or layers, it'll start freezing. The preview feature so you can see what you've already done can also be a bit slow and glitchy... Imagine skipping one frame out of every three frames. However, it does NOT export this way. I have no experience with other video editors, so I'm not sure if that's a common theme among them.

Olivia from Impact

Industry: Market Research

free video editing

Simple to use, free video editing software which gives you great quality outputs, but may take a while to fully understand and learn the features available.

Pros

Shotcut has some great features and is quite simple to use, best of all you get all of this for free. I use it to create video montages from recordings of respondent interviews. It allows me to cut long videos, and group together multiple clips. It also has the option to add in many fade out / fade in options and effects. the options to export from he playlist or the timeline are very useful and the video outputs are high quality

Cons

I had to search online for a while to work out how to export individual clips rather than the whole timeline, it would have been preferable if this was clearer as when i first started using this software I wasted a lot of time. the software can also freeze occasionally, but this is somewhat to be expected with the sizes of the files used.

Reasons for Choosing Shotcut

Primarily chosen because it was free and I had heard good reviews of it

Chandra from Battle Creek Public Schools

Great software for novice users

I use Shotcut several times a week. it is my go to editing software for Youtube videos and tutorials

Pros

Multitrack editing and the dashboard is easy to navigate

Cons

Sometimes it gets a bit clunky/slow when there are lots of edits , high powered internet is citical to its performance

Reasons for Choosing Shotcut

price, ease of use and online reviews

Syed from Allied Global Marketing

Shotcut-'is a dynamic tool with lots of features to create professional videos'

My overall experience with Shotcut is very good. You can be a dynamic creator with Shotcut. I would say I like to use this tool.

Pros

I am using Shotcut to edit videos and I absolutely enjoy it when I work with it. Video editing became very interesting because shotcut because the stock is full of lots of features. I like the fact that Shocut is an easy application to create stunning videos for various purposes. This tool allows the beginners to create the amazing design free and the resolution is very good. As much as you use it you can discover more about the tool.

Cons

I think to create a perfect video you need to go through the tutorials which is time-consuming. I also observed too much functionality sometimes confusing for beginners.

Tabish from Electronic manufacturing

The Best Free Video Editor that beats Primer pro

Pros

-The Free and easy to use Ui helps a lot if you are student. Or any one which is just entering the digital video editing career.

Cons

- the ablitiy to edit 8k footage is still not available

Kenneth from Upwork

Industry: Graphic Design

A great software to achieve quality video editing.

Pros

The software is free and open source meaning there's a community always improving this software.The interface is professional looking and provides high quality videos upon exporting.it has a lot of features such as chroma key that make green screen editing accesible and more convenient.it simple and has a sleek design and is a very easy to use software.

Cons

I have never experienced any issues using this software whatsoever it runs smoothly on my pc and laptop and have never experience any inconvenience when using this software

Joshua from Presbytery of the Western Reserve

Shotcut is a flexible video editing tool that is approachable for the (diligent) beginner

In the beginning of the pandemic, my job started involving a lot more video production. I was, and still am, hesitant to pay for an expensive editing product given the fact that I am a beginner. As I have gotten more familiar with Shotcut, I've discovered that it has all the tools I need. Very grateful for this product!

Pros

Obviously the fact that it's free goes a long way! As a novice in video editing, this tool allows me to do what I need to do without a financial investment. The wealth of online resources on how to use Shotcut means that an absolute beginner can learn enough to create a nice-looking finished product.

Cons

Open source is a (wonderful) double-edged sword. As with most open source products, Shotcut is less polished than a comparable product from the company that starts with "A" and rhymes with "shmadobe." Shotcut is occasionally buggy and crashy, but I (almost) never lose more than an edit or two. The reality is that the extensibility and flexibility of an open source video editing tool comes with those caveats, and that's something I can live with.

John from Your Skills Hub

A perfect evolution from Movie Maker

Pros

As Windows Movie Maker has now discontinued, Shotcut provides a great alternative for video editing without a cost. The interface is intuitive and the functions are easy to get used to quickly.

Cons

This does provide a basic video editing service and so if you are wanting to have more effects/functionality then you will be best going for Adobe Premiere Pro. But for a free solution, it works great.

Brian from Self Employed

Industry: Online Media

My Shotcut Review

My experience with this program has been great. I have tried other free programs and this one i s a whole lot easier to use and it has mostly all of the same options

Pros

It is a very simple program to use. There are plenty of options to choose from and it has the same options that most bigger programs have. It is free to use

Cons

The only con i have with this program is the font selection

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

Easier to use and understand

Christopher from Self

Industry: Dairy

Fast and professional, ShotCut makes me look good

I had to quickly learn to work with video for story time and craft programs our community center was going to begin posting on their Facebook page. With ShotCut I was spinning out video in just a couple of days practice and my editing became more advance each time I used it. By the looks of what it has to offer it will be a long time before I master ShotCut but I was quickly making quality programs with attractive special effects.

Pros

I appreciate the ease of operation, particularity for first time users. I began using ShotCut almost daily for two week and Every time I use the program I learn something new and it seems the abilities of ShotCut would satisfy even the seasoned professional editor.

Cons

This is the first video editor I have used, so I have nothing to compare it to. Fortunately, I chose ShotCut because of the free version without any strings attached and was lucky to have picked a program that is simple and vast with what it offers.

zackery from Daedong Hi-lex of america

Made video editing a breeze

We were able to speed up the process of trouble shooting and making training videos for my employees. I am able to record a problem and edit the video to demonstrate how to effectively troubleshoot a problem.

Pros

The ease of use is what i like most about his software. What used to take me hours i can now do in a fraction of the time. The ease of importing videos directly to the timeline has really helped out.

Cons

Instructions are not the most clear as far as changing properties, and added different effects to a project

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

To have a much cleaner look on our videos

Michael J from Michael J Nass Computers

Supports me video editing needs

I can edit recorded video or make my own video presentations with custom audio soundtrack. The software has been improving consistently when new versions are released.

Pros

The Timeline has been getting easier and more functional with drag and drop ease and the next version is supposed to support moving multiple clips at the same time. FFMPEG provides compatibility with almost every video format. Supports 4K video!

Cons

Crashes occasionally when moving audio or playing with the timeline. This has improved with recent versions and there are tricks you can do to improve stability.

Abel from Smart robotics

The best free video editing software there IS

The best video editing and FREE software there is which fills all my needs. It is the perfect official tool for making a video with a professional touch.

Pros

Shortcut is just the perfect video editing software anyone who is looking to make a video wants. It contain all the necessary tools from video editing, text editing, sound editing with a ton extra features which will take A LONG TIME for learning completely!!!!! The overlay tool is just great and is the perfect animation there is.

Cons

The great features outweighs the simple errors of the problem. The feel that it is very good software. But they can add more features and highlight the text overlay feature, add an inbuilt tutorial as it is a little difficult to get used to. When using the overlay function within the app, it sometimes gets stuck but there will be no problem in the final video.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

The amazing features of shortcut, it's ease of use, great quality and it's manner of professionalism

Kymahn from Members 4 Ever

Industry: Computer Games

My Shotcut Review

You should definitely use shotcut and thank me later!

Pros

Shotcut is like a free version to Filmora! Shotcut is an AMAZING VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE!..But it is mostly for Youtube, Facebook and home video projects which is still Fire(Good) User interface is simple and it is very easy to navigate around! Features are fire(GOOD!)..I love the hardware support feature! Shotcut exports videos in HD and higher quality which is awsome!

Cons

Shotcut is a bit laggy app and I think it needs performance improvements patches...But it does not occur all the time it is only like 1 out of 5 percent of the time! And u still get amazing quality!

Dylan from SykoGrafix

A good solution for free video editing.

I don't edit video often but when I tried this software it did exactly what I needed it to and worked as I expected it to function without having to learn a lot of new stuff. I'm sure it could tackle even more robust projects than the simple clips I was using it for. I highly recommend it.

Pros

As free software, this is very functional and easy to use. It has features that make converting and editing video fairly simple. It was much easier to use than other free video editing software I've tried, and has more features too.

Cons

Outputing the video to a usable file can be complicated if you don't know what you are doing. Expect to try it a few times before you get what you want.

Krishnan from Centurylink

Shotcut - Cuts off your time to create a video

short learning curve and the experience was good when I had to create a video with subtitles embedded in the video.

Pros

- Videomaker provides various transitions and effects to include in your video - A plethora of export options to explore - It is free for most of the features - Can import images, audio, video and arrange in sequence with various effects and transitions to make your video a professional.

Cons

- The popup button hep timing is very low. The help popup disappears before we could read and comprehend. - A voice base commands interpreter like a directors voice could be helpful for accessibility

Steven from Pioneer Baptist Church

Budget friendly video editor

Since Microsoft got rid of Moviemaker this has been my go to video editor and has been able to meet all my needs in editing videos for church.

Pros

This video editing software supports a wide range of video types and is fairly intuitive in its layout.

Cons

While it has an option for streaming it doesn't seem to the be the most user friendly option as it has a tendency of freezing up for me.

Brian from HEALTHandMED.com

A very good alternative

So let's tell a story. I was asked to make a small video and I hadn't done any real video editing outside of fooling around a few times with Adobe's counterpart. I have used Microsoft's and helped people use Sony's Vegas Pro (or whatever it is called). I figured the timeline would be similar to that and everything would just work that way. I downloaded ShotCut and ambled my way through making the video I needed. I was kind of saddened at my choices of free video editors and wasn't too happy with ShotCut at the time. I downloaded some more of the free choices (some of which have large names). After using ShotCut, I couldn't wrap my head around using those programs and how they work. I went back to ShotCut and got it done in minimal time because it made sense to me. Now I am very proud of ShotCut because it makes sense to me.

Pros

It works and has a lot of capabilities. I'll explain more in my overall experience to show my joy with the software.

Cons

The learning curve is different from other video editing software. That being said, you can't beat it.

Vuk from Vuk Dragojevic

Shotcut is the best editing software ever!!!!

Pros

Shotcut is really easy to use and it is free,exporting is also efficient

Cons

It needs more and better transitions and effects.

Jeremy from Country Folks Superstore

Great Beginning Editor

Shotcut is a great choice for beginning video editing on lower performance systems. If you need to throw together a quick video, it definitely has all the tools you need.

Pros

Shotcut is very simple to use-- practically no learning curve. Even exporting is simple with Shotcut, which is something that many video editors struggle with. This editor also gives you more freedom than others; every frame is your's to control right off the bat, and performance is top notch.

Cons

Shotcut can be a tad glitchy at times. The app crashed on me several times. While it is a great, simple video editor, it has a distinct lack of features found in many other free editors.

Jociele from Self-employed

Great video editing software

I use Shotcut to edit video lessons and videos to correct questions (Mathematics) to post on my channel. The software meets all my needs.

Pros

The software has a wide range of editing tools. You can use creativity without fear because the program brings many editing options. You can edit videos, music, audios, etc. And all free of charge!

Cons

Some tools are poorly explained, both in terms of their function and how to use it.

Jauhari from Walmart

Can't complain

Pros

Shotcut is a free video application that allows you to do everything that a paid video software does. I like that I can use chroma key to insert my own backgrounds into videos, something that's useful for my YouTube videos.

Cons

Shotcut is a good application however it freezes a lot even with my computer which has 16 gigs of ram.

Andrew from Blue Ridge Community Church

A good free, slightly advance video editing platform

Overall, I think Shotcut provides a good alternative to the easier-to-use iMovie...even though it's a little more difficult to use, in my opinion, it's also a bit more powerful. It cannot be compared to Adobe Premiere, however, that's a completely different animal of a much better nature!

Pros

I like the feature set of Shotcut - the way it handles color grading is reasonably nice, the way it displays audio wave forms is helpful and visually appealing, and the more you use it, the more you discover features that are not immediately obvious when you first start. It can run on a Mac or a Windows, making it a good option to consider over iMovie or some other Windows options. There's also a pretty good sized online community of users, so tutorials are accessible.

Cons

It seems to be a little bit "clunky" out of the gate. I run it on a 2015 MacBook pro, 2.7GHz, i7 with 16GB....maybe it's my machine but sometimes video playback gets slightly choppy. It isn't easy to navigate at first...lending itself to a pretty steep learning curve.

Parker from Born Depraved

More pro than iMovie

Using Shotcut has been pretty good. Other than feeling as if it could be slightly easier to use, it's definitely one of the better video editors on the market.

Pros

I like that you have tons of options. Basically any kind of effect that you want to do, you can. If you're editing home movies or anything, you can do that and make it looks professional.

Cons

I think that the learning curve is pretty high but if you have some time to take to learn the features, it's pretty good. I wish that it were a little more straightforward when it comes to more "advanced" techniques like adding picture in picture or doing cutaways, but it's doable.

Michael from Blu Creative

Solid, open-source, and free

Shotcut is a great alternative that's free and open source to paid products such as Adobe Premiere Pro, or some Mac programs. We keep the portable version on a USB key at all times so we can quickly run edits on any machine in a pinch!

Pros

We had issues finding a video editor that was good, and cross-platofrm, until we fell upon Shotcut, which is a surprisingly solid program, for all major OS (Windows, Linux, Mac). One of our favorite features for Shotcut is the option to download an installable file, or a portable version which is small enough to fit onto a USB key, and runs with no installation needed! I'm not sure how well the portable version handles massive projects, but it's handled everything we've thrown at it so far!

Cons

It may just be the portable version on Windows 10, but the visual interface for Shotcut is a bit cramped and messy. We found ourselves routinely having to work around some clipped windows, truncated menu text, or confusing layouts (namely the export window).

Nicole from Food and Beverages store

Video editing

If you are on a budget and looking for a video editor, Shotcut is for you.

Pros

Shotcut is the only video editing tool that I found that doesn't add a watermark to the video. Also has some nice filters to add to the video, or the audio.

Cons

When reviewing your edited video, it will start to run really slow and acts a bit glitchy. When finalizing the video, it turns out fine.

Robby from Mesa Arts Center

Professional Video editing made easy

Pros

This program allowed me to everything I needed for editing some tutorial videos for my staff. The program has lots of tutorials and they are geared for people who are not editing pros to do professional video editing. Super helpful.

Cons

Some of the tasks are not intuitive or they are buried under menus. Quick google searches solved the issue.

Finally, a free video editor that JUST works

Shotcut is a great tool to get started with video editing and understanding the basics before investing in expensive software.

Pros

Shotcut is a powerful open-source video editing option that works on any OS. It has all of the features you come to expect and exports to all the formats you need (even animated gif!)

Cons

With any software, there is a learning curve, but shotcut was relatively easy to pick up. One downfall is there really isn't a market for plug-ins so it can only get you so-far.

its free!

Maury from UFMG

Excellent for beginners

I needed a video editor for a class I was going to film, my first experience preparing a video. I used OBS and then used ShotCut to prepare the video. That made both the filming process and the editing. After the tutorial I could edit my video quite easily and got a good end-result.

Pros

Free, easy to install, setup and use,cost and light for a video editing software, it run smoothily in my laptop, which don't even have a dedicated graphics card.

Cons

The documentation on the software is not so intuitive, but with a good tutorial from youtube it is still rather easy to get.

Sharmila from Ofirsoft India Private Limited

Good video editor and it is free

Able to create nice video announcements with personalised images and text which is what I was looking for.

Pros

I have just started with video editing for church use and looking for web based editors and couldn't find any and that is when I came across Shotcut which is a opensource editor. My needs are basic and this tool gets the job done. I am able to combine multiple videos add some images and text and the output is really neat.

Cons

There is a learning curve and I am still learning things on the go. I don't find any fault with the software as yet.

Create Software for Creating Quality Videos

Pros

This software is great, you can make quality videos easily. The software is easy to use and allows you to compile videos clips, make edits to the clips, add music, and so much more.

Cons

The software was incredible at putting clips together and making a smooth transition from one clip to another, it did however take some doing to get it just right. The final product was also real choppy when previewing it, so always had to export to see what it actually looked like, which wasnt choppy at all.

Kimberly from University of Northern Iowa

Shotcut!

Pros

The best thing about Shotcut is that it is free but still has the features needed to edit video projects. There are plenty of tutorials available for users to learn more when they want or need to.

Cons

The program can be intimidating at first but with time becomes more user-intuitive.

Chad from Warren County Schools

Great Video Editing Software with a learning curve

Great software - nearly as good as any other video editing software I have worked with.

Pros

Free software that accomplished an overall expensive task but with a trade off in usability. It has a strong feature set.

Cons

Difficult to learn with some quirks. Figuring out how the interface works is somewhat complicated compared to similar software.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

outdated and not enough features.

joel from juiced beats

Industry: Music

the best beginner editing software

Pros

its ease of use is amazing. since I'm an amateur editor this was surprisingly easy to learn and has all the basic features I need. the user interface is a breeze to navigate and its also easy on the eyes.

Cons

it has some limited features which can slow down your work.

Reasons for Choosing Shotcut

because it was better for beginners.

Chris from CSz Sacramento - Home of ComedySportz

Easy, Light Weight Video Editing

I was looking for a simple, easy to use video editor that would run on my older Mac. Shotcut was the only product of the half dozen I tried that worked well.

Pros

Fast and simple. Does what I need without too many confusing extras or "bloat."

Cons

User interface and layout of windows can be confusing at times.

Sam from NoComicsComics

Industry: Animation

It's decent for a free program.

I use Shotcut for my animation work and basic editing.

Pros

Functionally, it's very similar to Premiere. The layout is also familiar. It's fairly easy to use, and it's free, so that's a major plus.

Cons

It lacks some surprising functionality that makes it frustrating to use. I cannot copy multiple clips at a time, which is a bit of a problem. The tools also don't seem particularly robust, but again, for free it's hard to complain.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

I hate Adobe as a company and will not give them my money on principle.

Sam from Purdue

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

One of the best free softwares!!

Pros

Has everything I need for amateur video editor! Has a lot of useful functions that aren't normally included in free software.

Cons

Not the most intuitive software some functions are kind of hidden, but there are a lot of functions so the trade-off is worth it