• icon"AMS is probably the best training group around and walked us through every step of the installation."
  • icon"We have much more control over all aspects of the day to day operations of the company. The advisers are able to write work orders faster, the integration with third party applications is flawless."
  • icon"AMS support after the sale is by far the best I have ever experienced and I have used a lot of software in the past."
  • icon"Missing a couple of things that RO Writer did that Protractor is going to do in the future."
  • icon"The pain of switching to and learning a new system."

All AMS Protractor Reviews

Josh

Great POS Software with Excellent Customer Service

Pros

The customer service team would answer my calls ANYTIME day or night. I believe I even called on a Saturday once and got a response.

Cons

They made it hard to choose another POS software LOL ... they were great.

Ken

May 2022

Powerful software that is very customizable.

After onboarding and the initial struggles of making a big POS change like this, it has been very good over all. We do not regret making the switch. As with any shop POS software, it all comes down to personal preference and is it a good fit for you. Protractor is a good fit for us.

Pros

The massive number of reports available and the Dashboard function to keep an eye on your bottom line. Very customizable report system. The overall settings allow for much customization. Help is easy to get from other users and the company. The related forums are active with users and company people and usually have your answer quickly. Onboarding assistants are great people that work with you for quite some time before going live. The overall package is great. We don't use it to it's full potential as this program will do ALL of the business accounting as well! We do use and constantly make changes as needed the usual service shop functions. The "Canned Jobs" can be built extremely fleshed out. With some time in, the available library of services, jobs, concerns, etc. can grow quite large and make for good time savings and faster operations. The integrations with Auto Vitals is very good and has helped our shop grow the bottom line.

Cons

Steep learning curve. This program will take some time to learn, and you will have many questions. If you are already somewhat computer savvy, it may not be as big of a deal. If you are not good with computers, it could be a struggle. (But there is plenty of help from the company and other users.) This is a very in-depth program that does SO much!

Reasons for choosing AMS Protractor

Depth of integrations with currently used software, AutoVitals.

Reasons for switching to AMS Protractor

Outgrew the software in general. When we started to use AutoVitals, the program was just over run, and the front counter people were struggling.

George

Time used: Free Trial

June 2016

Broken Promises

Most shop management systems focus on auto shops needs. Protractor is an accounting program piggybacked with a shop management program. I was with Protractor over a year and they did not fulfilled their promises for example, an oil sticker label or to fix CarFax. I went back to my previous system where CarFax is working properly yet Protractor says it is not a Protractor problem, it is a CarFax problem. I was told from the beginning that if I left, my data is mine. They did not tell me that it was available in report form and you have to pay $149.00 a month ($1788.00 a year plus foreign transaction fees) to access it. With the dollar exchange, it was costing me around $125. A few months ago, they notified me that I will be charged the FULL $149.00 plus I have to pay the foreign transaction fee. This is due to the support it requires. We are looking at previous data only and NEVER need customer support??? If you choose to go with Protractor, I believe you will agree that the your experience is very AGGRAVATING.

Response from Protractor Software

Hi George, I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Regarding product developments we are constantly updating the Protractor product based on customer requests and work on as quick a schedule as we can. As it happens we do now have an oil sticker integration available. Regarding carfax, there are no known issues at this time except for in a few territories that are out of our control which would be similar to any SMS. Perhaps you are talking about some vin decoding issues which are unrelated to carfax that have been rectified. Regarding your data, it is always available to you in a file, however it would not be possible to access this without the use of an interface. Unfortunately the best option is to run any reports that you require from the Protractor system while you have access to it, or to maintain a current subscription. We apologize that you have had an unfortunate experience, but we do stand behind our product and believe that it is a top sms on the market.

Replied November 2017

AMS is the only company you should consider when making your decision.

AMS as a company is the best part of the experience! I delayed the conversion for about a year because I was agonizing over the learning process of changing the POS. Now looking back, I wasted a year of waiting. AMS made the process so easy! They are well versed in the product they support and they held our hand during the entire journey. AMS educated us extremely well before going live. On the day we went live, our personal trainer was there the whole day walking us through all the things we forgot. There was a total of one day where we struggled and I can't say it was a full day. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is the best part of my experience! He is ALWAYS available to answer my question. He is always available to log in and help me through the more advanced questions. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was our trainer and he went over and above to make sure we were comfortable with the software and be available to answer our questions. Great job [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] at making sure you did not launch a support company without thoroughly training your crew! AMS is the only choice if want to buy Protractor!

Pros

How customizable the reports are in Protractor. In the previous POS system, you got your information from a set of reports. I had to look at several reports to get the info I needed. With Protractor, I can build a dashboard that has all the information I need to look at on one screen. Estimating a large ticket is under 5 minutes, so easy! ROW it took over a half an hour. The time saved pays for the cost of the software. It's all in the cloud so my network issues with ROW have gone away. I can log into the system with my laptop, no more teamviewer.

Cons

The conversion didn't bring over declined services. A little hassle to look back into the old software. As time passes, that issue is slowly disappearing. Not a deal breaker.

Reasons for switching to AMS Protractor

AMS now supports Protractor. The service provided from R.O.Writer is terrible! It crashed and it took tier 2 a week to respond. If I didn't get another company to fix the problem, I would have been "shop down, cannot work, critical" for a week! I don't think R.O.Writer even cares about me, when I canceled my subscription no one asked why.

Brian

Awesome Very User Friendly System

Dependability and stable system, cloud based system with no back ups or disc needed. Made hardware expense much less

Pros

How easy it is to use, speed of making estimates and work orders, the customization to personal needs, support from AMS is second to none

Cons

The fact that AMS Protractator wasn't purchased sooner

Reasons for choosing AMS Protractor

AMS always there when you need them (answering phones, emails, returning calls).

Reasons for switching to AMS Protractor

Several reasons. The main reason was lack of support and the time it took for support to return call in order to solve a problem.

Tim

Protractor review

We had data corruption and the old software wasn't keeping up with new technology. Protractor is cloud based.

Pros

Easy for the service Writers to learn and use.

Cons

The pain of switching to and learning a new system. AMS did a great job of on-boarding us. Still not fun though!

Reasons for choosing AMS Protractor

AMS and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. The inventory capabilities in Protractor.

Larry

Protractor is leading edge tech

We already see an increase in our bottom line due to the effortless integration of the estimating process and the linking of recommended services. We look forward to understanding better than ever the inefficiencies of production as we now have a way to track that better than we have ever had. Our techs are on board with the production tracking and seem to be surprisingly interested in this feature as well. Just sitting here many things come to mind inventory and core tracking abilities, all the many reports that reveal the inner secrets of the entire operation like never before. There's a lot to work with here.

Pros

It appears to be limitless in what you can do with it if you can think of it they can probably do it. The protractor software is already loaded with more features and benefits than I will utilize in a year. The conversion process was effortless and done in the background by their support team, the ease of getting the system up and running was surprising. However, we did spend time getting familiar with it before going live. If you want to take your shop/business to the next level, this is the foundation you want to build on. Our very first month after going live was a record month, we were very busy, and the system worked flawlessly unlike our previous software program which seems to be trouble daily. The People at AMS Protractor know your business and are on the spot when you need them. If you have any hesitation about this move, rest easy, you will be glad you did.

Cons

We had to wait several months for the integration process to export to QuickBooks. The time it took to get out of my mind the thought “This isn’t the way we have been or use to do it.”

Response from Protractor Software

Larry, we love that you are already seeing an increase in your bottom line! You and your team did a great job preparing for the transition, and it paid off. If there is anything else we can do for you, let us know. - Scott, AMS

Replied August 2018

Excellent Service Management System.

Improved Hours/RO and Improved Ave/RO

Pros

Ease of use. Lots of updates and improvements. Good support. I like the way they are continually improving the software and seem to be moving towards electronic dispatch.

Cons

the prioritization screen is clunky for us to use. They are improving it every update and look forward to the day we can use it as our primary dispatch.

Response from Protractor Software

Hi Mark, Thank you for choosing Protractor and we are happy that you are experiencing higher RO and hours per RO. We are constantly listening to our customers requests and adding productive features on a regular basis.

alton

Growing to success!!

My experience has been great. If you are or are not in the market for SMS software you owe it to yourself, and the profitability of your company to check it out. I believe that AMS and Protractor have been the best investment for my company and am looking forward to working with them going into the future.

Pros

We have much more control over all aspects of the day to day operations of the company. The advisers are able to write work orders faster, the integration with third party applications is flawless. AMS is probably the best training group around and walked us through every step of the installation. AMS support after the sale is by far the best I have ever experienced and I have used a lot of software in the past.

Cons

Steep learning curve; but, very worth it. Focus on the software and you can implement it quickly and will most likely be the last SMS software you ever purchase.

Reasons for choosing AMS Protractor

I purchased the product because of the support offered by AMS and the referrals from others in the industry. They expressed how much AMS cared about you having a great experience with the product.

Reasons for switching to AMS Protractor

Was looking for a more robust product that is able to grow and help move my company to the next level.

Kurt

We switch from protractor, and ended up with it again a few months later

We used protractor, and switched from it to try to save a few bucks per month...We hated the other system we went it, tried more systems and ended up back with protractor and couldn't be happier. This system is so easy to use, so accurate, its a no-brainer to end up with it. All the custom reports you can run, to inventory setup, automatically looking up labor and parts. 5/5 stars. Would buy again.

Pros

The learning curve is small, Ease of use my wife (who is not from the auto industry) can build tickets and estimates very quickly. Parts lookup is nice and easy to use. The customer support if you ever do have any issues is second to none.

Cons

So far, the few small small issues we have had, have been fixed quickly in the weekly updates.

Response from Protractor Software

Kurt, we are glad to have you back! And thank you for the shout out to our customer support. Customer support is a top priority for us. If you need anything else, let us know. - Scott, AMS

Karen

Best Shopware for the automotive business

Protractor has been great to see the margin of sales and service we provide without guessing.

Pros

So easy to use and has features that make a shop easy to run.

Cons

I would like to see who posted invoices at the close of a sale.

n/a

Reasons for switching to AMS Protractor

Because the features in Protractor allowed us to switch from one report or screen to another without having to close out of the screen we were working in.

Terry

Best Automotive Management Software Out There

Excellent

Pros

The reporting and ease of setting up customized reports. The developers seem to update this software with new features often. The ability to find things easily. I did a lot of research and Protractor hands down is the most complete package out there.

Cons

The scheduler could be better. Although the returns tracker is good, too many steps to get a simple process done. The messaging notifications could be improved.

Jodi

June 2022

Easy to use!

overall it's been a positive experience. I was new to the program last year in July, and was able to pick things up quickly. And also teach myself some other things.

Pros

it's easy to use, and easy to learn on your own.

Cons

Not being able to change invoices once closed or in A/R.

Eric

Started January 1st 2018 and moving along smooth.

Pros

The main thing I like is the support. Making a transition from my former software was pretty painless. Not only do I have support from Protractor but more support from AMS Protractor, located in North Carolina, that I purchased it from. There are so many features available in this program that a detailed person like me loves. They are willing to listen and change features. Nice having updates, with no hassle, every month. I feel I have made a great decision choosing them. Another plus, my average RO is up too because of Protractor.

Cons

The reporting is so massive and customizable that it takes a bit to get used to. But once you get a hold of it, it is amazing.

Response from Protractor Software

Eric, thanks for the nice review! Glad to hear Protractor is going well for you, and like you, we love seeing all the new updates each month. - Scott, AMS

Roy

What a great software system for the Automotive Service Business

We have increased the bottom line and I wish we implemented this last November when I sign up for the software.

Pros

User friendly. The learning curve is very small/short. Once it all clicks the time it take to build a work order and order parts is amazing. It has been able to help increase the Average Repair order and the productivity in the shop as well.

Cons

Not being able to control some of the inputs of info. i.e. Making sure we get email address. You can complete the work order/Invoice without inputting all the data. Where as in other software you can turn on required field that has to have the data to close out the Repair order

Response from Protractor Software

Roy, glad to hear things are going well, and that Protractor has been able increase your bottom line. We appreciate you being an AMS Protractor customer. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks, Scott Thorley

Replied July 2019