• icon"I use it for web and windows. What I like the most about it is the Visual Studio integration, where I just reference the dll's in my own solution."
  • icon"The integrations and capabilities seem to be great. I've had colleagues use the point and click/recording feature previously and could only say great things."
  • icon"The tool is proffesional (we have been used free Katalon Studio earlier which was buggy). It is very useful for mobile testing automation for our Android nad iOS apps."
  • icon"Setup to run a test can be a little complicated upon first use, but is no longer challenging once you understand how it all works."
  • icon"Supported language is what i hate, they focus on C# and. Net which is hard to find skill as majority of other tool focus on Java."
  • icon"Cost is very high and data driven testing is much difficult."

All Ranorex Studio Reviews

Deepakkumar N.

Ranorex: Easy and Powerful Software Automation Tool

Our organization works on a legacy desktop project using some relatively old Java Elements for its front-end design combined with C++ backend using CORBA calls. Some of the GUI objects are relatively new. So our project has a mix of legacy / old Java objects [swanky toolbars] / new Java objects and c++ for backend. Overall, the learning curve for the Ranorex Automation Tool was not steep. I genuinely enjoy the coding and designing part for the project using this powerful tool as a senior architect for the project. My Genuine Advice: Before purchasing, please use the free version of the tool and try building up an object repository for the system under test which can give you the confidence whether this tool is right for your project or not.

Pros

[My Organization got 20+ licenses for Ranorex after trying it out for 30+ days for free - I am neither related to Ranorex nor is this a paid review] Pros: 1. The tool is comparatively easy to learn [Compared to QTP-UFT]. 2. There is amazing support available from Ranorex - This was possible because of the 20+ licenses purchased and Ranorex Representatives coming in to solve our specific queries. 3. The tool is powerful in the sense that it can help recognize and work with / take care of blinking objects / tooltips which disappear quickly / dynamic object which are difficult to recognize from automation perspective. 4. I like the idea that the tool gives you the power to start easy [simple recordings] and then you can take charge [for more complicated stuff - to harden the solutions] by designing User Code Methods / Modules.

Cons

1. The tool is not cheap. [But worth the money spent] 2. Every-time you need to execute your code / automation recording, the whole solution needs to be re-built which takes time and is annoying. 3. Using the GitHub tool along with Ranorex for maintaining the code from various developers / maintaining versions and releases can be tricky and needs a little practice and patience.

Katarzyna

Industry: Photography

The best tool for mobile testing automation

As I described above - Ranorex is highly useful for creating and executing stable mobile tests on our devices (Android, iOS). In future we plan to use this tool for web automation, too.

Pros

Complexity. The tool is proffesional (we have been used free Katalon Studio earlier which was buggy). It is very useful for mobile testing automation for our Android nad iOS apps. Tests are stable and easy to maintain.

Cons

Unfortunately - the costs. This tools isn't cheap. Also, Ranorex because of its complexity, it is not easy to at the first glance. You need some training and time to learn how to prepare tests.

Reasons for switching to Ranorex Studio

Katalon Studio, even though it was free, was taking a lot of time to debug.

Richard

Rough around the edges but very powerful

Positive - while it may not be the easiest to use, it is one of the most versatile and powerful automation packages out there.

Pros

Ranorex can be used by those with no knowledge of code through recording modules, and 99% of the time this is all that is required. In addition it allows code modules to be written and run by those experienced in C#, and this means that almost anything is possible to automate.

Cons

The software is finicky and difficult to use and understand; it can sometimes be frustrating. I would recommend using it on a powerful PC with lots of RAM as the Ranorex Studio and Spy software can sometime freeze on weaker PCs.

Reasons for choosing Ranorex Studio

Ranorex seems the most versatile solution as it can be used by coders and non-coders alike. Also the customer support and online Webinars are helpful for continued learning of it's features.

Pavel

Ranorex rocks!

Pros

What I really like about Ranorex is its wide coverage of technologies, relative easy to learn and use UI, pretty robust and reliable element recognition and very helpful and responsive support. In fact, their proactive and friendly support was one of the major decision points for me. I'm working with Ranorex since 2012 and so far, I was always able to achieve my goals (automating mainly desktop and web-based apps).

Cons

Unfortunately, I really don't like Ranorex API documentation. While the general Ranorex user guide is great both for novice and advanced users, advanced coders may find Ranorex API documentation pretty inadequate and lacking samples. Luckily, Ranorex user forum is already filled with tons of use cases and code examples. Still, Ranorex API documentation really needs an overhaul.

Tim

Meeting all of our automation needs

Ranorex has helped our small staff, with limited resources, develop a large series of regression suites that test our software weekly. It has become an invaluable tool for us, and something we are continually finding new ways to incorporate. They have great customer service, and are continually updating and adding useful features.

Pros

Ranorex is an affordable alternative that is easy to get up and running. We use it for testing our web solutions, and in-house software. You can do most things without knowing a lot of code, but it is robust enough that, for someone with coding experience, the possibilities are pretty limitless.

Cons

While customer support is exceptional, there is a smaller user base, so finding solutions in the community can sometimes be more difficult. This isn't a fault of the software, but a limitation all the same.

BG

Ranorex user since 2.3

I use Ranorex to automate our software suite that spans many windows and web applications. It's great to be able to use one framework to automate all of our software and not have to split it up between web and desktop.

Pros

Works with many technologies. I use it for web and windows. What I like the most about it is the Visual Studio integration, where I just reference the dll's in my own solution.

Cons

As a whole, I like Ranorex a lot but if I had to complain about something, it would be that occasionally (once a month) during my automation executions, I have element identification issues and/or crashing Thread.Abort issues. Both are very hard to reproduce manually and I pretty much gave up on them. I will note I use the Visual Studio integration.

Martin

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Ranorex lives up to the hype!

My overall experience has been great with a few hiccups that have always been promptly resolved. For our team, we have a broad range of test cases that we automate on various platforms, web, mobile, and desktop. Using Ranorex, we have been able to integrate our automation seamlessly into our testing environment and we have covered a lot of tests that have saved us time and money. Great experience and once you have the tool under control and some coding experience with C#, the possibilities are endless.

Pros

Its flexible and allows for end to end cross platform automation solutions. I really like that I can use my own code to automate features that I need more control over. So far, whenever I have hit a problem the support team has worked with me to resolve the issue.

Cons

I wish there were a full dark mode. I also hope that mobile automation capabilities are expanded in the future as more software moves to mobile platforms.

Teme

Great Automation Tool

Ranorex is great for testing UI applications, the other options I have seen(UFT) are not as good as Ranorex. When it comes to web applications, Selenium is king. For UI Ranorex is great.

Pros

I've been working with Ranorex for the last 2 years. Its a pretty good automation tool with great features. The data binding framework is great. The reporting features are great.

Cons

Git issues. Ranorex has a hard time merging repositories and test suites. They recently came out with a git merge tool but its not perfect, there are still issues when merging. Another con, which may be seen as a pro for some, is the fact that it requires little coding. This is a con for developers who want to retain their skills.

Sanjay Kumar

Test automation toll Ranotex - Improve development time and reduce maintenance efforts.

We have above 1000 automated tests... 1. Help in daily regression and early defect identification 2. Reduced manual efforts in formal test execution by 30% and we are planning to have 60 to 80% formal automated tests. 3. Ranorex tooling helped us to improved our test development time and reduced maintenance time.

Pros

Better object recognition, structured recording, Test parameterization, reusable modules and customize reporting, faster debugging and fixing test issue using Ranorex studio by disabling other modules functions of the same tests from UI -no need to run full test again and again for debugging.

Cons

asynchronous popup handler - some time mess up report.

Industry: Biotechnology

One years experience with Ranorex

Overall great experience. I had not heard about Ranorex until I started my new position. It has good support for many technologies.

Pros

Ranorex does exactly what I need it to do. Having c# as the programming language has made it possible for us to integrate Ranorex with our own test automation framework. I have successfully used Ranorex to primarily test Qt, WPF, and Html. Ranorex Magic Merger for git has been superb. Saved me a lot of time trying to merge large XML files.

Cons

Lack of support for newer versions of c#

Richard

Quick and easy to use

Used for regression testing common business process; automating repetitive tasks e.g. password validation; cross browser testing. But licences expensive. Would stick with Selenium if you already have framework in place. Ranorex would be useful if starting from scratch as much faster to build tests than Selenium especially if your web site is built on iframes.

Pros

Test suites can be put together vey quickly using record feature and organised logically using smart folders. Ranorex Spy very useful for creating paths to elements. Easy to add additional code and Ranorex helpers provided for common procedures. White List feature can be used to only include the required processes which avoids interruptions during playback. Ranorex Agents can be installed in remote machines for parallel running (need runtime licence for each active Agent). New features and improvements being added all the time. I have only used the web testing part so far so cannot comment on mobile or desktop support.

Cons

Integrates with Selenium but the number of parallel tests is restricted to the number of Ranorex licences you have which excludes one of the main features of Selenium. No graphic representation of modules and workflow as exists in other products e.g. HP UFT. Does crash occasionally.during record sessions apparently due to McAfee. User Guide could have more detail.

Abdul

Ranorex The Best Automation Tool You Can Ever Find in The Globe

> Automation of 15 Projects + Other Day to Day to Utility Automation Support for any project needs is carried out by us during the period of time > We have purchased as many as many licenses having trust over the Ranorex. > The upgrade part of Ranorex is the most attractive thing to go for Ranorex.

Pros

> Ranorex is the best software that can be found to Automate any legacy application in the market > Ranorex is the worth buying an option for any IT company planning for Automation > Ranorex support is one of the best i have every witnessed when it comes to After Purchase Support > I have used many number of Automation Tools in my entire career and found the best to be Ranorex > I have recommended Ranorex to many number of people about its advantages over other tools > Ranorex has a variety of options available which are good to be utilized throughout any sort of need which you might have. > Overall Ranorex has more no of Pros which can be found once we start using this tool > Their support to Evolving Software Industry is tremendous and Enormous amount of benefits lie withing the package.

Cons

> Best Software always doesn't have any Cons.

About Usability and Reporting in Ranorex

I work for Siemens Healthcare and we have been using the software from few years now and it has really helped us reduce the manual effort without spending too much time discovering about the tool. Unlike Selenium where in from A to Z you need to configure everything starting from Framework till Reporting. But Ranorex is comparatively a user friendly tool if the company/person can afford it.

Pros

-The framework is available ,any person not having too much knowledge about Automation can easily get started using the tool. -The tool provides Reporting capability which is the biggest plus as after the tests are performed if we cannot report the results then the tool is of no use. -More over the record and play back facility to a large extent provides support for a person to understand the flow of code.

Cons

The biggest drawback is that there is very less support available online apart from the Ranorex community. For automating basic things its fine,but when it comes to automating specific controls and applications it gets difficult to get help in automation. And not many people/companies work on this software as compared to Selenium because of the cost factor.

Ranorex, a great tool for web application automation

My overall experience with this tool has been great. Setting up an automation framework using any of the freeware tools like Selenium is a very tedious task as compared to Ranorex which makes your job simple by providing it's inbuilt automation framework .

Pros

Pros: 1. Provides great automation framework to test web/mobile application. 2. Ranorex studio is an easy to use IDE, very similar to Visual studio. 3. Reporting feature are great, user gets a graphical report in HTML format. 4. Floating license allows multi user access. 5. Ranorex is an easy to use automation tool, which any user with less coding knowledge can learn easily.

Cons

Cons: What did you like least about this software? 1. Not compatible with Flash/Flex Framework 2. Not much content on internet to learn about this tool.

Capable and Flexible

Overall, Ranorex provided my team with a great start. We plan to code around Ranorex in the future as the license agreement isn't flexible enough to provide the volume we require for a reasonable price. If you don't intend to run more than 50-100 parallel tests, and you have skilled developers to code the tests, then Ranorex is a fine solution.

Pros

Ranorex provides a flexible base for any automation effort. The record and play features provide just enough functionality to get a team going; while the code module functionality provides the ability to create efficient and robust automation.

Cons

In order to execute tests in parallel, we had to develop a VM farm and controller system. There are many solutions in the open ware market to handle this and could be offered as part of the Ranorex system.