What are MATLAB users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using MATLAB software through verified user reviews

1,585 Reviews

1,008

• icon"What I really like most about Matlab is the simple, beautiful and intuitive GUI. I like that it is cross platform."
  • icon"It is a good software for developing mathematical models using 1D simulation. It is a simple, easy to understand and best software for new learners like students who have less knowledge of coding."
  • icon"It help to develop math model and you can use it in different platforms like pc, Mac or linux, but the most important thing is how easy you can learn to use it."
  • icon"Its hard to find some errors in codes and program doesnt give warning enough."
  • icon"Some of the Simulink blocks create algebric loops. Sometime finding some Simulink blocks (such as: voltage controlled source, current controlled source) are difficult."
  • icon"Sometimes it can be a pain manuevering around your equation if you want to make changes. I find the same problem with MathCAD."

Browse all MATLAB Reviews

• Have you used MATLAB and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 1,585 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,585 reviews

Redaet

Industry: Research

A must use in the biological world

I use Matlab personally to get quantitative data from micrscopy images. This allows me to report details in strucure and migration for cellular biology images. Although it's tricky when you first start using Matlab and it's counterparts, once you understand or look through the forums it's smooth sailing. Keep in mind if you plan on doing intensive analysis/calculations that's all possible with Matlab which has been extremly benefical for me but you will need a good computer. I find that some users play the software for lag/delays but Matlab is calculating such complex and small detailed analysis that the computer creates the delay in communication back to them. Overall without this program I would not have been able to 1)finish my Masters thesis and 2)provide support to my customers with my current job.

Pros

Matlab's additional plugins and programming abilities has helped with my research analysis incredibly. It's allowed me to measure details that have not been reported in the past and has allowed me to learn more about coding language. I used a plugin known as celltracker. When doing so I was able to launch and see the additional coding. This helped me customize other scripts I later created for my work because I was able to see the backbone scripts through matlab. It's a lot more user friendly than other softwares like Fiji or R but because the language is similar it made it for an easier transition for me personally.

Cons

If you're using matlab for graphing data I find that the coding and implementation of stylistics components a bit more complicated than say using Prism or R. Sometimes text background looks dated and trying to change it takes a lot longer than it should. A really nice feature is the 3D graphs that are produced through Matlab but sadly they are pretty hard to transfer to reports and publications unless you capture the graph at a specific angle or use a screen recording of turning the 3D graph for presentation purposes.

Reasons for switching to MATLAB

I need more 3D graphs and migraiton based graphs which I couldn't get with the other softwares.

khoubeib

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Matlab use Review

i'm satistified in the overall experience but i would appreciate that they add some tools to make it more intuitive and easy to use especially for understanding what the problem are and where are they exactly, also their types more intuitive and precise .

Pros

it is a easy use product that you cant use almsot for porjects with teams and it is helping a lot in doing work in distance, we even did exams using this tool so i recommand so much.

Cons

i don't like just one thing about it, it is in the use command interactive menu, for example, there is a lot of tools that we can't use, it's not so intuitive sometimes and most of the time there is some problems to understand what the problem is exactly when you have a code error.

Reasons for choosing MATLAB

Because it is helpful for distance work with teams when we can't be all present physically we can manipulate our code files from our sides and then get the overall code.

Reasons for switching to MATLAB

for some projects, python could be more easy to use and having more options and tool that Matlab don't have them or where you can find them in a harder way.

Orlando

Industry: Biotechnology

The go to

Pros

This is the most widely known software in it's category, and for a good reason. It is so powerful and has so many different applications that I will be using it for a complete fluid and bio-growth simulation for my masters thesis.

Cons

It is very expensive. Affordable if the organization you're working at is able to purchase licenses, but if you're a single user it does become expensive.

Reasons for switching to MATLAB

I was given the opportunity to use Matlab by my organization

Thuffail

Best for mathematical modelling

Annual and monthly data collected in businesses can be easily analyzed using this software. Machine learning can be used on available data to predict on future trends in market.

Pros

MATLAB is basically a coding software. The coding language is very easy to self learn. However a basic knowledge on mathematics and coding fundamentals is needed. Any person who is familiar in any computer language can grasp the techniques of using MATLAB. Therefore the codes can be debugged easily. This is a software that can be used in mathematical modelling for in engineering fields. In electrical engineering the software can be used to simulate control systems. It also can be used to do complex calculations that need many iterations. It facilitates the extraction of data from excel formats. Most data are stored in excels .Therefore mathematical analysis on data stored in excel can be easily done using this software. Therefore this is one of the best software for data visualization in a mathematical sense. Another advantage is the ability to use image processing and signal analysis tools for practical applications. These processing techniques can be performed on data by coding the fundamental methods of processing. This software can be used in building applications using graphical user interfaces.

Cons

The software can be used for analysis of large data sets .However the time to process or run codes involving large data sets may take few minutes. As a result more powerful computers with improved process speed should be used in some cases to get results from the software. The interface has not been improved in improved versions. The interface can be made more user friendly. Though debugging is comparatively is easy when considering other computer languages, it will be better if it can be further improved.

Mostafa

Matlab is such a great tool for all engineers

A very great experience I recommend it to anyone who deal with engineering and of course curious people

Pros

Great tool for analyzing, sorting, and simulating data. easy to understand and to learn it. In addition, it helps in plots and graphs and simulation scenarios I hope to see it applicable for smart phone as small app

Cons

Great library Easy to learn Easy to use Reliable Great accuracy

Reasons for choosing MATLAB

I found myself in love with matlab, it helped me alot it's not hard software to be learning Such a great library for every thing Easy to learn and very reliable and it is accuracy is not comparable.

Aniket

Matlab: Making Programming Easier

I had to switch to Matlab when I had to design machine learning pipelines quickly and had to deploy them as well. Matlab was very easy to setup, with just one installer doing the heavy lifting to install all the necessary packages and everything. The drag+drop interface is easy to use and understand, and helps in designing the pipelines quickly and efficiently. Matlab also runs faster, making efficient use of the GPU, which all in all is very easy as compared to it's alternatives.

Pros

Toolboxes. There are a lot of toolboxes for each different type of research domain, be it signals, image processing, machine learning, audio and what not. Each tool box is packed with a feature rich library of inbuilt functions for processing and analyzing data. Furthermore, using them is very easy with their drag+drop interface.

Cons

The user interface. I know that Mathworks is working continuously working on the UI, but it is still not at par with the current generation. The IDE looks very outdated with limited configuration. This gives it a whole outdated feel and makes very uncomfortable to use.

Reasons for switching to MATLAB

We were using Tensorflow with Python. It is a more powerful library for Machine Learning as compared to Matlab, but using it is a mess and needs a different level of expertise. On the other hand, Matlab has a simplistic interface which one could learn easily by using it once.

Alex

Amazing tool once you get to know it

I administer this at work and use it personally. So far it has been great

Pros

So many features! This tool can do anything once you learn how to use it. I recommend some sort of class to teach you how to use it

Cons

severe learning curve especially if you haven't used any modeling software ever. Can be a bit intimidating at first

Reasons for choosing MATLAB

Matlab is used in conjunction with the other products. Some users prefer the other.

The math language!

Matlab helped me solve different difficult analysis for my customers. The programming language is reliable to perform any matemathical and calculous intense task.

Pros

Once mastered the language it becomes an easy and reliable tool to do data analysis and for some programming.

Cons

It is pricey, in my line of work I use also the R statistical programming language that thanks of being free has an amazing comunity that surrounds it. Can't say the same about matlab.

Reasons for switching to MATLAB

I still use both the product depending on the client requirements.

athira

Industry: Research

matlab: great tool for mathematical operations

Pros

It requires less coding skill and can be carry out various types of mathematical operations. Some functions we can find only in MATLAB. Easy to learn and many support documentations are available in online. Plots are more colorful and we have different options to makes modification.

Cons

It will use too much space in our system and make it slow

Reasons for switching to MATLAB

a particular function was not available in RStudio

Pedro

Industry: Environmental Services

Powerful tool for IA applications and scientific research

I started using MATLAB as a student then I wrote some papers using MATLAB NNTOOL and it generated some great results. As a professional I continue to use MATLAB, for me it’s the best software for programing and engineering. The neural network tools are very useful.

Pros

You can do anything with MATLAB's tools and material/tutorials online.

Cons

The price is still considerably high for less developed countries.

Reasons for choosing MATLAB

I'm used to MATLAB interface and it's easier for me overall.

Mariana

Industry: Medical Devices

Perfect for a Biomedical Engineering Student

Currently, MATLAB has been working perfectly for me, this software has lots of applications, it can be used for beginners and for more specialized applications. I highly recommend MATLAB.

Pros

MATLAB is excellent for engineering students because it’s easy to learn, there are lots of tutorials on the Mathworks page that you can use, as a beginner, another programming language can be overwhelming but that’s not the case when using MATLAB, the environment is very interactive and easy to learn, it´s perfect for analyzing data, image processing, signal processing, neural networks, dynamic graphs. The built-in functions are very helpful, and the function help gives you a quick explanation of how to use the built-in function, which is perfect, so you do not have to memorize everything. Another feature that I really love is the add-ons, MATLAB has lots of add-ons and toolboxes that you can install and use, personally the toolboxes for Arduino, Solidworks, Simscape, Robotics System Toolbox, and the Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox are my favorites and the ones that I use the most. Lately, I have been using MATLAB to export excel sheets and do some data analyzing, it would take hours in excel but I just spend a couple of hours to make a code and I run it and analyze new data, in addition, you can use the GUIDE to make a program for everyone to use. Also, Simulink is a very powerful tool that MATLAB offer us, personally I have used Simulink to simulate dynamic systems and the environment was easy and intuitive, I am very satisfied whit Simulink.

Cons

The only thing that I would not recommend when using MATLAB, connecting Arduino to read and graph voltage values, the data acquisition rate is just not good enough to get a graph as if you were using Arduino. If you want to store data and later do analysis it would work fine.

Catherine

Easy to use, Excellent documentation but Expensive Tool

If you are student, I would recommend that if you are interested in using this software, take note if your institution has a license to it and if you can get access to it that way. I would also recommend you identify what you expect to do with it and if you have the capabilities of running it. I would primarily recommend this to professionals with decent computing power available to them and with large datasets to analyze and visualize. Overall, I found that it was very easy to use and the documentation was easy to understand (even for a newbie like me).

Pros

Downloading and Installing Matlab was easy and simple. It was also quite easy to get started even as some one who was learning it as one of my first coding platforms. It is a platform that is heavily focused on data analysis and computing so this platform is NOT for developers or people looking to create an end-user product. I would recommend it for anyone with large datasets that can be represented or comprises of numbers. The documentation and community forum were excellent and often contained really helpful tools. The were a robust community file exchange that was amazing for finding code for specific tasks. Overall it was very easy to debug and learn thanks to the amount of great resources for it.

Cons

The greatest disadvantage of this software is probably the cost. Buying an individual license for the software is expensive and I would recommend that if this seems like the coding platform for you, you should check if your company or institution already has a access to it. It should also be noted that whilst the software has run on all of the computers I've installed it on, the wait time for it to load and allow you to get started can get quite long. The computing resources required to run it (depending on your needs) can also be prohibitively be large and since it is a propriety program there were no readily available cloud computing services that I could sign up to, to offload the computing. Short of renting server space and running a virtual machine, there were nothing like google colab for python for Matlab for example. The size of the program can also balloon in size if you download and install the add-on toolboxes without considering if you really need it or not.

Reasons for switching to MATLAB

I switched to Python as it could do a lot of what Matlab was doing for me. With the added benefit of being more generalized and required less resources to run.

MATLAB, One Solution to all Engineering and Mathematical problems.

My overall experience with MATLAB is so good. It has so many good points that If I would highlight each and every point so the maximum word limit would cross So in a nutshell If someone wants one solution to all Engineering and Mathematical problem he/she should must try and install this software to feel the peace in life as you don't need to have so many software for different tasks to perform, MATLAB is there to help you in all fields.

Pros

When I just entered University, In the very first semester I was introduced to this software by my instructor. Initially, I learnt to apply basic mathematical formulas like taking derivatives, solving matrices etc but then almost in each semester I used this software in one way or another that's why I used to call MATLAB, one solution to all Engineering and Mathematical problems. We can solve all kind of mathematical problems either integration, differentiation etc on MATLAB. It also provides its user to simulate electrical, mechanical etc system on it. This software is verified and because of its high quality, we can simulate our designed projects on it and once that design project provides the desired output on MATLAB, then that projects implementation on hardware and the output will not deviate from the outputs we have gotten on MATLAB that's why often students use MATLAB for their final year projects. Besides, its other features it also provides the GUI functionality which I have incorporated in several projects. The mathematical techniques like Fourier series and Laplace transform etc, MATLAB provides the ease to implement it and get the infinite plotted results and better interpret the results by visualizing the data, not only two dimensional but also three-dimensional graphs can also be plotted on MATLAB. Above all, it provides the facility of coding and producing the desired result. So I said rightly it is one Solution to all Engineering and Mathematical Problems.

Cons

Overall the performance of MATLAB is quite good, it user friendly but the only problem which I have encountered is the installation process. As it is a bulky software so its installation requires approximately two to three hours of yours and have to follow the guideline which is provided in the software as in read me files etc. to easily install this software so this is the main task. Once You have Installed the software now you are good to go to enjoy its immense features.

Caleb

Industry: Research

High quality, but not an automatic buy

MATLAB is a high quality and generally valuable for computational science and engineering. Nevertheless, it is sometimes hard to get MATLAB to do exactly what you need, due to missing features or a confusing programming interface. In the latter connection, its programming interface is sub-par relative to languages like Python and C++. Large organizations with wide-ranging and intensive computational needs may find it well worth the price. For small organizations, however, I don't think it is an automatic buy -- probably worth giving serious consideration to cheaper or open-source tools first.

Pros

MATLAB has a wide range of tools and capabilities that are valuable to computational scientists. Many features are general purpose (e.g., standard linear algebra routines, data processing tools, interfacing with other programming languages) and can be adapted to a variety of use cases. So I feel that one can count on it remaining useful even if an organization's computing needs change over time. It is a standard tool and widely used, so one can count on its reliability and portability. Due to its large userbase, it is also easy to find documentation and help information online (beyond MATLAB's own documentation).

Cons

I find the MATLAB programming language nonintuitive. Some features seem to be optimized for command line execution, i.e. statement-by-statement, and not for writing longer scripts and external dependencies. Someone accustomed to standard object-oriented programming (C++ as an example) may be frustrated programming with MATLAB. Their graphing and plotting is not bad, but it is does lack some desirable features. It has happened several times that I wanted to configure graphical output in a particular way, and MATLAB simply lacked the capability. So if graphical visualization is extremely important to your use case, I would recommend leaving room in your budget for a separate graphics software.

Ashkan

Industry: Civil Engineering

Essential for research

I am a research assistant and I use MATLAB for different purposes. In fact, I have used MATLAB extensively for the last 4 years. MATLAB is one of the pioneers in mathematical programming, and one of the first things every engineer needs to learn. Researchers all over the world use MATLAB to solve mathematically complex problems and publish journal articles every day. Like any other programming language, there is a learning curve for MATLAB, but as someone who has tried different programming languages, I believe that MATLAB is one of the easiest yet most powerful coding languages. The great experience of the MathWorks team has made MATLAB almost perfect; however, as recently other programming languages are getting more popular, MATLAB needs to catch up with them.

Pros

MATLAB has a long list of useful commands. With these commands, one can edit text, solve complicated math problems, process images, and many more applications. Basically, any problem that is in some way related to numbers can be implemented in MATLAB. There are several useful built-in apps and toolboxes, such as signal processing, machine learning, optimization, etc. These built-in toolboxes are very handy and easy to use. MATLAB has one of the most comprehensive and helpful documentation I have ever seen. For any command available in MATLAB, you can find at least one example that shows every aspect of using that command. Even if you cannot find the answer to any of your issues, there are many people on the internet that can help you. As MATLAB has been around for a long time, there is a great community of MATLAB users all over the world. MathWorks has provided an official forum and it is called MATLAB central. In this platform, users can ask their questions and problems and they can share codes in the “File Exchange” section. It is almost impossible to face an issue and not finding the answer in MATLAB central. One of the good points about using MATLAB is that it frequently gets updated. These updates do not change the way user interacts with the software, and that is another positive point, because after all these years I am used to the user interface.

Cons

One of the downsides of MATLAB compared to other available coding platforms is its outdated code editor. There are many features that can be added to the editor section, such as the column text editor, and different themes. I personally love my workspace to be dark, and one of the first things I try to change in every programming platform is its theme. Although there are some personalization options available, they are far from being perfect and customizable. Collaboration or sharing the codes with other users seems to be a must nowadays, as most of the programming platforms provide this feature. Additionally, I believe the loading time of MATLAB should be improved.

Gianetan

The Harbinger of Engineering Research

MATLAB has been at the centerstage of our academic activities in general and research in particular. It has helped in solving research problems in the area of image processing. Medical diagnosis of various diseases, object recognition and character recognition are some specific areas in which MATLAB has been really useful. Now I am also researching in the area of data science. I have found it to be surprisingly and pleasantly useful in this area although people are making use of Python and its libraries and R for this purpose.

Pros

The abstraction of best of the cutting edge techniques scaled down to function level makes it powerhouse of research in the field of science and engineering. Input of data in the form of matrices make it intuitive to use and visualization of data makes it an extension of your own mind. It doesn't take much time before it gets you working with the lifeless data transforming it useful insights.

Cons

The black box approach of using functions wherein you are aware what the input and output of function is but not its source code is a double edge sword. Whereas it makes it easy to use the function per se but it also makes it difficult to customize software. The source code of the commonly used functions should be available.

Reasons for choosing MATLAB

MATLAB and Simulink has wider reach as far as science and engineering research is concerned as compared to Wolfram Mathematica. The use of matrices and provision of relevant toolboxes makes MATLAB a programmer's delight. MATLAB has a huge following which contributes tremendous amount of knowledge on various forums such as Github and Quora. If you aim some of the best universities one can be confident it shall find a vast acceptance among the teacher community.

Surendrika

MATLAB for complex maths

I have used MATLAB for three years. In those years I have learned about MATLAB as well as I used it to solve so many mathematical problems. It is reliable, fast and also easy to use. The majority of engineering students as well as scientist are using MATLAB to achieve their purposes. But the person, who is going to use MATLAB to achieve his purposes, should have a proper knowledge about MATLAB. If someone uses MATLAB for solving very easy mathematical problems, I think it is unnecessary thing. According to my knowledge I think we should have proper understanding on that language to get more benefits.

Pros

As we all know, we use so many programing languages like c, java, MATLAB, HTML to communicate instructions to a machine. When we consider about benefits of MATLAB, it is very faster as well as comprehensive. Engineering students most probably use MATLAB for solving complex mathematical problems. But this language is also very familiar among scientist because it also eases their works. MATLAB provides helps to user for facilitating their tasks. It has so many syntax and keywords for different mathematical purposes. It gives us a chance to create functions as our needs. Therefore we can make functions to solve problems depending on our mathematical problems. MATLAB can be used as a calculator and it is very reliable. So the point of my view, as a person who is using MATLAB, I think it is very essential for engineering students.

Cons

Though MATLAB is very essential to engineering and other students when solving mathematical problems there are some difficulties with it. It has great number of keywords for arithmetic. So it is difficult to memories all those keywords when solving problems. And if we get an error in our code I think it is somewhat difficult to debug. And the other thing is the time it takes to give us the answer. MATLAB is an interpreted language, so that it is slower than a compiled language. It means MATLAB takes some time to give us the answer. We have to wait for the answer. It cannot be bought freely and also people should have knowledge about MATLAB before it use otherwise it is not easy to work with this language.

Supun

MATLAB - Matrix Laboratory

I recommend MATLAB if you handle heavy mathematical problems in your career. Otherwise it is not needed for a person who handles complex mathematical problems rarely because of the high cost. This software is especially suitable for engineers, scientists and mathematicians. Since MATLAB is fast, powerful and accurate software, those people can ease their work using MATLAB. MATLAB can be highly recommended for the data analysis purposes because the software gives out very accurate output for the processed raw data. MATLAB is a great tool for the commercial use, but not for the personal use.

Pros

MATLAB is a programming language specially designed for mathematical works. From this software we can interact with complex mathematical problems such as matrix problems, functions, data analysis, plotting graphs, signal processing and much more complex engineering and scientific problems. Lots of mathematical functions are built-in with MATLAB. They can be use directly to solve our problems as our need. If the needed function is not available built-in, we can create one and save it for future use. Special keyword called “help” is designed in MATLAB to find the meaning of unknown keywords and how to use that keyword (i.e. If we want to find the meaning of keyword det, help det shows the meaning of keyword det and what can we done using this keyword. Also it shows how to use this keyword in MATLAB). There is a mobile application developed for MATLAB. We can solve some of the mathematical operations that are not much complex with the use of mobile application also. This option helped me a lot when the PC or laptop is not with me. Another advantage of MATLAB is the advanced user interface comes with software that eases the process of coding and debugging.

Cons

Since MATLAB is used to compute complex mathematical operations, there are many functions, keywords and syntaxes are used in MATLAB. Therefore it is difficult to remember all these functions, keywords and syntaxes in our mind. Much time is required for the installation process of the software even in a high end computer. Same issue happens when executing the program also. We have to wait some time until the MATLAB is loaded before working on it. Also it uses higher amount of RAM. Because of this we cannot run MATLAB smoothly in a low end computer. Since MATLAB is mathematic related software it cannot be used as general purpose programming language. MATLAB is commercial software and the cost for the software also very high. Therefore it is not worthy if we buy it without a proper knowledge on MATLAB and how to get the maximum output from the software.

Muhammad

Matlab: The multi-paradigm computing software tool

Matlab is an extremely powerful system modelling tool and development environment. Students and professionals that work in the engineering and science backgrounds will find this software invaluable.

Pros

The software allows users to perform complex computations (linear algebra, differential equations, integration transforms etc), system modelling, and develop programmed algorithms that can be executed and simulated. I used this software from my undergraduate days, whilst studying electronic engineering, to compute state space models of control systems and visually analyse control loops from their transfer functions using Matlab's programming script feature and graphing capabilities. I also used it to quickly develop, simulate (using the Simulink toolbox add-on), graphically observe and fine tune the performance of a PID controller which was much easier and quicker than manually calculating and plotting the solutions. Numerous mathematical processes that usually require multiple steps can be executed by a single prebuilt command on Matlab, e.g the [x , y] = cart2pol(theta, r) command converts Cartesian co-ordinates into polar co-ordinates; this greatly simplifies the programming and mathematical input required by the user. Since its latest update (R2019a), Matlab is fully capable of developing, simulating and training deep neural networks, autonomous systems and a lot more.

Cons

Due to its extensive capabilities, this software can be complicated and over whelming for first time users. The complexity also inflates the memory requirements of the software. The syntax, notation and structure to input commands requires some time to get used to. Sometimes, when trying to achieve certain calculations, it leads to error messages that require some time to understand and correct. In fact, users need to understand the basic rules of linear algebra first (matrix multiplication, addition etc) in order to perform calculations because this program treats all numerical inputs as vectors/matrices. Users will also need to have some programming capabilities in order to fully utilize the computational capabilities of this software, which is similar in structure to C programming, using the propriety programming language that is developed by MathWorks.

Chiranjib

Essential for Engineers

I started with matlab from my undergrad days and still use it on daily basis for simulations and numerical analysis in my research work. Many industries (like the cellular network industry) heavily rely on Matlab for system level simulations. In my opinion, translating a pseudo code of any given algorithm to a working program is very easy in Matlab.

Pros

Matlab is an essential scientific computing environment. It is a must have for all students studying science and engineering. The pros are-- 1. Easy manipulation of matrices. This is actually the main power of matlab. 2. Very intuitive way of writing program with no hassle of bookkeeping about data types, memory management, variable declarations etc which are essential for other programming languages. 3. Debugging tool is very easy to use. 4. One best feature is the GUI window for managing figures. A user can switch between the gui and the underlying code for generating any figures. This unique feature is absent in many of the advanced programming languages (like python or R, at least in the basic setup!)

Cons

The main problem is that it is not free. While the other open source languages have caught up Matlab in terms of ease of usage and availability of packages, Matlab is suffering due to its proprietary nature. A standard distribution of Matlab comes with a set of packages. For the other packages, one has to pay Mathworks for getting access. On the other hand, in Python or R, there are multiple packages available online and everything is free to use. After the recent boom in AI and machine learning, almost everyone has shifted to python to use the popular open source libraries released by several sources. Matlab being a proprietary software is failing to catch up to this fast evolving open source world!

Asad

About working of matlab

I would state I've been utilizing MATLAB reliably for around 3 years, since my first year in doctoral level college. In undergrad, I may have utilized it a couple of times for a homework set. I say "I may have" in light of the fact that I don't exactly recollect that anything about it aside from that I had an establishment circle. My involvement in programming before MATLAB was some BASIC from youth and a smidgen of Pascal from a few courses in undergrad. My alumni counsel was an overwhelming MATLAB client, and my underlying knowledge with it included disentangling his MATLAB code for doing a few plots. In the meantime, I was taking a controls course which expected me to learn Simulink.

Pros

I esteem MATLAB. It is so smart and easy to make programming to do what you require. It has amazing exploring and profiling devices. It is cross stage, making code easy to share (expecting alternate people have forked out for the not by any stretch of the imagination unobtrusive allow). It has interfaces to other programming. In any case, there are a couple of things about it that chafe me. I'd get a kick out of the opportunity to get warning from different people what things aggravate them about MATLAB.

Cons

Supplanting subsref and subsasgn in a class is greatly awkward. The issue is this. Expect you override subsref with the true objective to change lead of obj(...). By then your subsref is moreover required the dialect structure obj.propname. With the objective for it to manage this viably (i.e. carry on the proportional as the intrinsic subsref) it needs to reimplement all of the checks for access confirmations that are normally done by the system. For precisely how precarious this is, see our rep's answer for my request here. Beside this genuine inconvenience, it's furthermore inefficient for each subsref to need to switch on the requesting type ('.', '()', or '{}') on each call, and for the system to need to collect a struct that joins the requesting type and furthermore the rundowns. To the degree I can see, it would be so much better if the various requesting accentuations called three unmistakable procedures.

Carlos

It is an excellent dynamic software to make programs and graphs of simple and complex calculations.

the benefits with matlab has been very satisfactory because through this software I managed to perform four regression programs: Linear Regression (least squares methods), Nonlinear Regression (Newton and Rhapson, Ascending Steps and Marquart). This program served to present the work of promotion in the university, which consisted in taking the data of a researcher on the behavior of the size of the fish with respect to the time and to estimate the parameters of the mathematical model exponential of Von Bertalaffi to find the mathematical expression that calculates the length of a fish. The program made three functional representations: the analytical, the tabular and the graphical. With this program I was able to manipulate the data, change colors, thicknesses of the lines, place the main title and title to the axes, in addition, the results could be exported to the word processor for the final report. This program has also provided me with tools for teaching calculus with analytical geometry (subject of functions), differential and integral calculus, with the possibility of manipulating the results and visualizing their changes when changes are made in the functional analytical representation. With this strategy the student has a greater possibility to reflect on the representations of the functions and their results. When I had difficulties to perform a complex calculation or use advanced programs I was supported by the documentation included in the help window, where there is a great variety of programming examples and software commands.

Pros

It is a language of high level of technical computing that facilitates simple and complex numerical calculations, which also allows the graphic visualization in 3D and 2D of them. It has a wide application in scientific studies. Integrates numerical analysis and matrix calculation where problems are expressed in the same way. It has specialized programs called toolboxes highlighting in the area of teaching basic mathematics, financial mathematics, statistics, simulation of dynamic systems, among others. It is an ideal software to develop advanced control systems in the engineering area. Allows the control of fonts, Greek letters, symbols, subscripts and superscripts. Make presentations with animation, with supports of colors as it is desired by the user. It allows you to make impressions both of the created program, the calculation made, of the 2D and 3D graphics, results table. It allows to export and import images, graphs, tables and mathematical expressions. You can enter and extract data from the fmatlab quickly. It has a wide range of linear algebra functions, specialized mathematical functions, logical and arithmetic operators, elementary matrices and vector manipulation, special matrices, basic statistics and data analysis, polynomials and interpolation. It has a help folder for software operation through a manual that allows it to be used by all types of beginner users or not.

Cons

The software despite having a documentation of its commands: description, characteristics and access, it is necessary for the user to understand that to create a program and can be manipulated: change data, formulas, presentation of results, fix badly scheduled lines , you must first execute the tutorm command to save the file where you want it, and then return to the saved file and execute other commands, this process requires a lot of practice and for some users it is complicated, therefore they stop using it. have extensive knowledge of the integrals and their methods to solve.

Atanu Kumar

A Simple yet Powerful Computational Tool

I have been using MATLAB for last 10-12 years. It is my day to day computational companion. I have been implemented several numerical solvers for complex equations and algorithms in MATLAB. Starting from simple calculations to very complex solvers, built-in MATLAB functions are always a plus point when compared to other coding platforms, such as C, C++, C sharp, etc. I also have used MATLAB for plotting scientific and statistical data for publication. It does a great job of doing what it is supposed to do.

Pros

Matlab is a versatile computational tool for a diverse field of physical, mathematical, and social sciences. The most important features of MATLAB are the simple user-friendly interface, tons of library functions, and a significant amount of examples. Starting from data visualization, numerical calculation/computation to solving machine learning algorithms, this software provides a very easy to follow documentation. Writing code in MATLAB is extremely easy and well guided. Visualization tools are extremely handy. Moreover, there are several toolboxes which can be helpful for different engineering application.

Cons

Sometimes the software can become very slow in performance. Depending on the configuration of the computer, it can take up to a minute to complete the initialization. Even though MATLAB supports parallel computation, the pulling of the parallel nodes may be time-consuming, therefore, not very useful for medium load computations. Sometimes the newer version may not support the library functions from the older version and it can cause unnecessary waste of time.

Alejandro Daniel

MATLAB is the solution to make quickly and powerful programs.

Pros

MATLAB is a very complete suite to make programs using a simple language and with an very intuitive workspace. Although is simple, it's very powerful, and have a lot of toolboxes that you can install for specifics themes, like electronic theory, image processing, digital systems, etc. You can also create Graphic User Interfaces whit the wizard that MATLAB has. This is simple because you don't have to manipulate graphic libraries, and you don't have problems if you change your platform, I mean, you can start a program in OS X and you can open it in a Windows environment. If you have a little knowledge of C/C++/Java, you can start using MATLAB and write simple programs just with open the app. Also it has powerful complements like SIMULINK, where you can study the response of electrical circuits by drawing them with boxes and lines, very intuitive.

Cons

I work a lot by making Graphic User Interfaces, because the independence of any graphic library, but I dislike that when the GUI started to grow up and have a lot of things inside, MATLAB start to work slowly and sometimes, you have to reboot the program. Also I work a lot with microprocessors, programming in C/C++, and when I have to return to MATLAB, I need to "translate" the C/C++ codes to MATLAB code. Another thing that I dislike is that you only can have one function per file. I mean, you can't make a library all in one file, and if you have a big project, you have to have a lot of different files and the size of it start to grow quickly.

Jonathan

Industry: Civil Engineering

Matlab, an alternative for programming and calculation

According to my experience with the software, I can say that it is the most complete with respect to other similar software. The implementation of this software can be a bit tedious for companies, but for what it offers it is very cost effective. The advantages for calculation and scheduling are fantastic, however the sophisticated language of the software makes it somewhat difficult to use. On the other hand, it is an effective tool for engineers and all types of professionals related to calculation and programming.

Pros

What I liked most about this software was that it gives you different tools to design mathematical models, graph all kinds of data and program with algorithms, from the simplest to the most sophisticated. Besides, in my student life, it has been very useful to solve different types of calculation problems. In my opinion, the flexible language of this software allows professionals to express their calculations and programming in an efficient way. A positive point is the easy implementation in any type of company. Finally, the wide variety of tools that the software has, allows you to model control systems, analyze data and process different prototypes.

Cons

What I liked least about this software is how difficult it is to program for inexperienced users. Learning the programming language of this software can be a bit sophisticated at first. Also, the results obtained when performing simulations can be difficult to understand. Another negative point is the large amount of resources that the software needs for proper operation.

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,585 reviews