What are Microsoft SQL Server users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Microsoft SQL Server software through verified user reviews

1,654 Reviews

1,026

• icon"The availability of support on the internet is just amazing. It works well for small sized to big sized companies and the security of these databases is top notch."
  • icon"The GUI that comes with to manage, administer and tune databases is probably the best there is. The performance tracking, monitoring and analysis features are probably the best in the field."
  • icon"Ability to create databases easily and manage them. Can also integrate easily with other products like tableau."
  • icon"If you are not familiar with the inner workings of SQL you may get stuck trying to figure out performance problems."
  • icon"Mistakes could crash the whole database - system."
  • icon"For example if you miss a comma while listing out the fields you are querying for you can get a strange error rather than a syntax error."

Browse all Microsoft SQL Server Reviews

• Have you used Microsoft SQL Server and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 1,632 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,632 reviews

Altaf

Top choose for relational database

Marenyane

Microsoft SQL Server is the best RDBMS for dot.net applications

I had an awesome experience while developing a dot.net website for my client. I was actually enjoying since in my class nobody knew how to use it.

Pros

I like the fact that this software is free to use, You don't have to pay for it This software like MYSQL server, uses the structured query language (SQL) to communicate with the web application and the database The syntax is similar to that of MYSQL server, so it is easy to use if you know the syntax It provides high security features for your web application It is the mostly used type of RDBMS for dot.net programming It has enough supporting material for any programming help

Cons

I don't like the fact that it is difficult to actually configure the IIS server for dot.net programming while using Microsoft SQL Server. Apart from that, there is nothing expect that.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

it was the most convenient software for asp.net programming

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

It was suitable for the dot.net framework

Anthony

Industry: Civil Engineering

April 2022

SQL Server | The Gold Standard

Overall, I have had an excellent experience with SQL Server. It is cost-effective, provides a great deal of functionality, and is a great piece of software for database management.

Pros

In my current role as an Application Manager, it is vital to have a means of benchmarking and assessing application performance. The tools within SQL Server, particularly Activity Monitor, make it very easy to determine when performance bottlenecks arise.

Cons

I believe the default alerting functionality could be improved. For example, I believe it would make more sense to alert the user to any failed SQL Agent jobs when launching SSMS. Currently, either alerts need to be set up individually or the user would need to view the job history.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Cost was the main deciding factor, but we also had/have more SQL Server experience in-house when compared to Oracle.

Wilmer Josué

Industry: Libraries

SQL Server as a primary tool for developers

I have been using SQL server since the first periods of college in my programming classes, as a storage of information I have been taught its practical use both personally and for program development in companies. I find it a very useful and versatile tool, it is used with ease as long as the developer has studied enough information about sql server because a novice and a pro can delete by mistake a whole database, you have to be careful because there are no request messages to deny the deletion. To use the tool I recommend to practice a lot and to comment the coding.

Pros

What I liked about the tool is the practical use it has, it can be used by novices in an easy way, as long as someone teaches them the basics, it is very useful on a daily basis due to the management of databases and their respective migration to other platforms. The management of the information becomes useful, it is versatile to changes before, during and after the development of the project.

Cons

What I liked least is the interface and the work area because when moving a part of that interface it is not very intuitive to place it to the default place, I have had problems with that and also that for processes of adding data I find the work space very small.

Masoud

March 2022

A database system that you can trust your data with!

I believe we rely on Microsoft SQL Server and its great features and performance a lot. It's our first choice in terms of an RDBMS database and I believe it remains as such for a long time.

Pros

I've been using Microsoft SQL Server since version 2000 and I must say that every year the team behind it adds tons of improvements and great new features that keep this software a fantastic competitor in the market. The database engine is very clever in optimising your queries, giving insights on improvements and dealing with your complex queries. Microsoft's TSQL is very easy to understand and very easy to grasp even though in recent years the team have introduced more complex query templates but still it stands out impressively amongst the others. I also love that they have released the full version as a Developer version where you can try all the software's great features without any cost at all!

Cons

The huge cost difference between the Standard and the Enterprise version is a put off as certain features like table partitioning should be part of the Standard version.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

The greater community behind it and the performance difference made us go to Microsoft SQL Server as our first choice.

May 2022

MS SQL Server as our database engine

The experience has been great! Since day 1 doing my first query, up to now, many years later, doing advanced stuff, I am happy for all the support and capabilities we can develop using this tool.

Pros

The language for querying is easy to follow. Also, there is a lot of help available on the web, in order to improve your queries. A lot of communities also, are ready to assist.

Cons

A bit difficult to get assistance from experts from Microsoft when it comes to really tech issues.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

For more data processing capacity and security.

Yuvraaj

There's a reason why most people choose SQL Server over other database softwares

I have never had any problems with SQL Server. It was always efficient and capable of doing whatever needed to be done.

Pros

Security is one of the most important aspects of database software since sensitive information can be stored in databases. SQL Servers are some one of the most secure servers out there so data is safe from hackers. The scaling aspect of this software is great so whether your business is very small or very large that uses huge amounts of data to be stored, SQL servers can scale and use appropriate resources to handle databases therefore no lagging issues and problems querying databases etc. which makes it extremely fast and efficient. With the large community that uses SQL Server, you have answers to almost all questions that you may have if you encounter any difficulties setting up or using the software, so troubleshooting is made really easy.

Cons

Cost could be an issue as this software could be a bit expensive however with that being said, you definitely will get quality. Also there might be certain compatibility issues with other non Microsoft software that your company may use so in some cases you might have to switch over to Microsoft softwares in your company depending on what they are.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Our company uses a Microsoft Infrastructure so it would have been really easy to integrate it into operation.

Syed Amir

April 2022

Microsoft SQL Server - Best Database

Overall experience has been amazing. I believe all our .Net applications (Close to 50) use Microsoft SQL Server as the database.

Pros

It is undoubtedly one of the best database in the world and Microsoft has just given quite a lot of features to help query out data from this tool

Cons

The cost is something which is on the expensive. Alternative options is MySQL.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Because of client requirements. They were of the idea that the database has to be Microsoft SQL Server

Steve

Very good database engine

Pros

It's well documented and very easy to setup. All requests from a remote software with SQL are very fast.

Cons

It can be long to setup but the documentation is very good.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Because it's made by Microsoft and we install it on a microsoft Windows server.

Eric

MS SQL Server for location based tracking

The overall experience with MS SQL From version 2006 thru to 2016 has been a very good one. We've utilized new features when presented in version upgrades. The DB reliability is excellent, the licensing cost is well within the range of "norm" for a comparable product. Would highly recommend MS SQL when considering other database servers.

Pros

We utilize MS SQL for its ease of installation, ease of migration between versions, and the access to developers familiar with the product within our price range. Its widely adopted, and readily supported by a large number of companies.

Cons

The cost and the fact that its purely windows based. Also kinda a memory hog if not setup properly.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

We wanted a product that was easy to find developers within our price range.

Amar

Best product for Database and Backup

It was good overall experience with SQL

Pros

It was easy to use and free backup tool to take backup and online support

Cons

Nothing to dislike for this software according to me

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

I was aware about this product and has used earlier as well

Gajanan

Fact, efficient and scalable relation database system

Its been around 10 Yrs I am using Microsoft SQL server is for development and I would be recommending to all business consumers to use this database and save the cost.

Pros

Simple and easy interface for developers. for end-use it supports all dashboarding tools. For the business users, low cost compared to other DBs. Security standards are implemented.

Cons

Some of the advanced functions should be added in SQL servers like for hieratical data connect by clause. packages.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

It's very user-friendly and easy and efficient.

Carl

September 2016

Comfortable and still kicking

Pros

Microsoft SQL Server has served me well, handling all kinds of tasks from Data warehousing, automated data pushes, reporting, notifications and ad-hoc analysis. Since we started using SQL Server several years ago, it has allowed us to better serve our customers with consistent data analysis and file pushes. There are also plenty of third party add ins which add immense value to the program.

Cons

This program has been around for a long time and most of the complaints I have ever had have been ironed out in recent versions. There is not much to dislike about the program. I will say that there are other vendors with better support than Microsoft but it is not lacking in any way, just not quite the personal touch you get from other vendors. Lastly, it would be nice if Microsoft would incorporate some of the extra features that third party vendors have created. They have slowly incorporated some of them in the past and I am sure it will continue though.

Rich

DRL's SQL Server Review

Pros

Primarily I am very comfortable with it because I have been using SQL Server for more than 20 years now. I do find it relatively easy to use and many of the tools such as the Tuning Advisor and Profiler can be quite useful in helping you optimize some of your less than ideal queries.

Cons

Nothing specifically comes to mind although Microsoft has been notorious for not producing the highest caliber products...

Germo

February 2022

my every day tool which I use, since it exists

I use SQL Server since it was obtained by Microsoft. I am specialized on it and I work only in projects where it is used as core technologie. I am a very experienced architect and developer, based on SQL Server And Microsoft BI.

Pros

It is easy to install. There is also a free Express Edition / Localdb, which has most features of the paid Version. The developer Edition has all Features of the Enterprise Edition. It is very easy to install even several instances on any system. I can solve nearly all tasks, I feel very confident. The documentation is great and it is easy to find answers to questions. It is just my every day tool.

Cons

If there are some heavy queries then the whole instance gets down, often even other instances on the same system. I don't understand why it is not possible to limit the effect. Many features which I would like to use are only available in the enterprise edition. But this edition cost much more than standard and I am forced to use only features of the standard edition. Often I am forced to use quite old version, for example 2016, but the current version is 2019. Again the reason is the price. Customers would need to spent more money for the latest version, therfore they force me to develop based on old versions.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Because the Company I worked for 20 years ago, MIS AG, wanted to switch from their MIS Alea to MSAS. All my projects where migrations from MIS Alea to MSAS or I started new projects based on MSAS. I loved it, and a few years later I loved SSAS even more. It is a great product. But SSAS is just the icing on the cake. The main work is in the backend, and I also felt in love with the backend.

Shawn

December 2021

SQL Server a Building Block of Tech Stack

Good overall experience. We're addressing the need to store, transform, and retrieve data. Information has become the backbone of many technological and business operations, and almost everything I work on goes through a SQL database to accomplish the job. It's one tier of applications that is used almost everywhere. SQL Server allows us to query data for reporting to end users, and also provides options to move and transform the data to different environments.

Pros

At our firm, we have a completely Microsoft tech stack; from servers, databases, middleware, peripheral applications, etc. When using all Microsoft products, it is extremely easy to connect and integrate between applications, servers, and databases. I am less sure about integrating with other providers (such as oracle), but I know its possible with a little more effort. Maintenance, backups, restores, disaster recovery plans all seem routine now. The product is very familiar and there is ample documentation and general SQL training. Get a good DBA and your servers will stay healthy as well; certain system settings are important, and monitoring those and adjusting for your business is prudent. SSMS is an easy IDE to use and perform any function. You can use SQL to automate many tasks, and I really like the SQL jobs. SSIS lets me automate so much, even to and from external vendors, using SFTP or some other mechanism. It extends SQL Server to use any script or basic Windows command.

Cons

When you run into an issue, it can be hard to resolve. An example would be when Microsoft data connectors aren't working. Understanding and getting the right supporting software installed is important; like OLE DB and ODBC connectors. Another difficulty can be performance. As data sets get larger, this is more important. While there are enough tools to investigate and troubleshoot, sometimes it's just a big effort to try to query tune, index, or adjust server settings to get the results in performance that you want. Queries seem to only get more complex, and data sets larger. I am pretty sure other databases will perform better with Big Data.

Mir Fida

Best database management tool for relational databases

I would recommend it to all low-scale and small organizations that are already using MS Office products or subscriptions. Its interface is similar to learn and use like other Microsoft software. Enterprise and large corporates can look into Oracle services if they require specific Oracle-made enterprise functions and features to handle very complex data.

Pros

First and foremost, it has all the features and functionality from the basics to advanced users for relational database management. Can be integrated well with other Microsft software especially Visual Studio code for a smooth development experience. Along with data storage management, professional performance analysis can be performed through GUI server management studio tools like Database Tuning Advisor. Data Analysts will find data extraction and filtration as well as visual & interactive report generation quite beneficial in their routine tasks. Backup and restore from one SQL server to another is fairly simple. Pricing is very reasonable according to the DBMS system and tools that are provided.

Cons

One of the main issues is that licensing price packages are difficult to choose due to confing choices for common users. One other limitation is that a backup made in a newer version of MS SQL server is not compatible with an older version of SQL Server. For large volumes of data records and for complex data it becomes slower to process queries. Taking backup of a very large number of records also takes time. Sometimes difficult to debug syntax errors.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

We decided to use an MS SQL server as it suits our needs in pricing, features, and performance. Also, it is easier to use for development teams that are already using Microsoft products like MS Office. Students should also use it to learn the basics of SQL through a GUI environment. Oracle database service is more expensive due to the fact it handles complex & large-scale enterprise data. We did not require those enterprise features.

Anthony

The Only Enterprise Level DBMS I Use

We build enterprise level SAAS, Desktop, Web and Mobile applications and API's. I've been SQL Server for over a decade mainly as a DB Developer but at times as an administrator as well.

Pros

A mature DBMS with no limits. Anything we or our customers wanted has always been possible with SQL Server. First class security, speed, and connection capabilities have enabled us to create world class applications for desktop, mobile, and web. The SQL Server community is huge which is critical for those new or rarely used features. I've been working in SQL Server for over a decade and still haven't touched many of the features available. Having a robust community makes learning any new feature quick and easy!

Cons

It's not a SQL Server thing per se... but Microsoft's support in general is weak at best. I've never really had a good experience using Microsoft support as it is slow and cumbersome and many times the reps don't communicate well. The huge community is what really what makes all Microsoft products manageable as most anything you want to learn or figure out is a quick browser search away.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Since I develop on the Microsoft stack it goes hand in hand.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

MySQL worked for single standalone web apps. But when it came to generating a full scale relational model we needed to step it up to SQL Server.

Hasan

SQL Server

Overall experience is just amazing. I have been using it for almost 2 years and it helped my organization a lot during release upgrade and it made database migrations so smooth.

Pros

Microsoft SQL is quite simple to install and configurations are also easy. As it is a relational database management system, it is a perfect tool for data analysts. As it enable users to filter and extract required data in a few seconds. The product comes with a lot of features like Query analyzer, Integration services, Job scheduler and Reporting services as well. Restoration and backup of multiple databases is a great advantage and I found this feature very useful because it helps a lot in restoring databases in case of any disaster. Also, one can easily schedule tasks in job tools section which is also a very helpful feature of this tool.

Cons

Well, it occupies more data storage in order to install database engine as compared to other SQL databases. Also, support is pretty much expensive and requires a lot of maintenance. It consumes too much resources to load and start.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

As Microsoft SQL Server is not an open source product it means it has more extra features that open source tools do not provide. I had to use some advance features in modern databases for better optimization of queries that is why I preferred to switch to Microsoft SQL Server.

Chirag

Rock solid, reliable and efficient database

We have enjoyed using SQL Server for various OLTP and data warehousing workloads. It is a workhorse. Its performance is fantastic. Tooling surrounding it is great. We have not encountered a single issue with it. We also have a great local meetup where we discuss the constant improvements SQL Server brings each year.

Pros

We love SQL Server's versatility. Every single application we purchase for insurance has support for SQL Server. We have not come across any situation where SQL Server didn't meet our needs.

Cons

License models are a bit confusing. Some years Microsoft make it easy to understand. Other years Microsoft makes it even more confusing. Can we run SQL Server in our data centers? Can we run it on the cloud? Do we need to change licensing to run in the cloud? Those questions sound easy to answer but the answers we get from Microsoft or resellers confuse us more. It just seems like the confusion is intentional.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

The cost and feature/functionality of SQL Server was a great fit for company our size compared to Oracle. We also use MySQL and PostgreSQL for various workloads, SQL Server being the workhorse for majority of OLTP workload.

Brenten

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Powerful and Scalable Database Software

Storing large quantities of production data to solve quality and efficiency problems has been a big use for SQL. All of the reporting and power to analyze data has solved countless puzzles for me in my job capacity. I also have done a lot of database administration for our ERP software and the tiles to tune and optimize have always been very helpful.

Pros

One of my favorite things about Microsoft SQL Server is the scalability. Whether you are using the free version for a small program running on a local machine or running an entire factory it is the same basic concept of programming and administration. I really appreciated being able to work to have a database software that could grow and expand when I need it too. Additionally the reporting and automation packages that come with it are super powerful. I would absolutely recommend using Microsoft SQL Server as anyone’s data as software

Cons

The biggest con in my opinion is that some of the more advanced features for big data analysis and high availability are in the top tier pricing which can be hard for smaller companies to afford. Other than that I have never not been able to solve a problem with Microsoft SQL.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Microsoft SQL had superior options and capabilities.

Kudakwashe

Data Management made so easy with MS SQL Server

Pros

For any developer, before first they can this own what their apps are going to be developed in their should think of what server should host their database. I do believe that MS SQL Server is the best on the marketing when comes to data management and administration. The best feature that i really love the most on MS SQL Server is the ability to disable remote execution of your queries and really helps protect data integrity in case your server authentication has been compromised. You can also be rest assured that your data is consistent and accurate at all times. Yes hackers some times can try sql injection but i believe MS SQL Server its the most secure servers around.

Cons

The license key for MS SQL might cost you an arm and a leg but at the end of the day its really worth it when you think of a platform where you are able to develop enterprise apps that secure and helps with Business Intelligence.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

In the case of Oracle DB vs MS SQL Server, MS SQL Server is easy to manage, easy to configure and has a huge community in case when you are stuck with any problem you are guaranteed to get a solution online.

Filipe

SQL Server review

SQL server is great, because i can use the same language same application, and for small customers it uses free option, and only for best performnace or bigger data need to pay for it Can use it locally on on cloud

Pros

SQL Server is a great system to develop databases with great functionalities like jobs, procedures, functions ans so one

Cons

For me the only think not so good is performance for bigger batabases, but for me between 10GiB and 15GiB works fine

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

SQL server is lot less expensive and have a free option for small aplications or for small customers

Imi

Industry: Political Organization

SQL is getting better as it grows older

SQL Server centralized my data and allows my staff to "believe" that they are working in Excel, It is super fast for loading data from the server, and allow large data set that will normally take hours, or even crash the Excel spreadsheet to load without any issue. When I am ready for a web app.. SQL server is easy as piece to develop a simple CRUD application and push live. It seem to connect to every thing - from MS Word Mail merge, MS Excel, MS Access and of course for development environment such as Visual Studios. One Database ( Centralized) and many presentation modes for the end users. I love it!

Pros

MS SQL Server is certainly a competently relational database engine, with reporting service and now R. Easy to install for small onpremise application. Easy to administer, easy to backup, easy because it is a Microsoft application. It is so easy that most of the application today I work on seem to be pulling data from SQL into Excel and or Power BI. You can start from free version and expand as time goes by. The management studio take the pain our of scripting, and the online support community most likely have your questions answered with T-SQL scripts for copy and pasting. If you deciding on an option for an Relational Database system - you should look at this as your most productive option. It allows you to focus on the problem by making the technology easy.

Cons

The new the version, the more memory intensive this management studio will become. Microsoft need to create some more easy to use tool for change control and change tracking. Backward compatibility - if you used a higher version during development, then it become a pain to use a lower version during production environment.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Cost and community of supporters, access to information on the open internet . Available of training.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

Ease of use, Easy to learn, easy to teach easy to integrate with well know tools.

Quentin

This sequel is better

Once SQL Server in Azure was selected, it proved to be a great experience. Security, performance and usability was ironed out for us already. We could focus on building our application rather than learning something new about cloud security or how to use a new type of database or database language variation. We have been pleased with the ability to research performance and include other features such as SSIS to accomplish our business requirements easily. Knowing that manual tasks are being completed automatically is a sigh of relief. We also will know immediately if there are any issues. We have had a great experience with SQL Server.

Pros

It is an industry standard that continues to improve to make the lives of developers easier. We are able to produce software solutions more efficiently because Microsoft continues to improve SQL Server. We rely heavily on this as critical to our business. Developers tell me how flexible SQL Server is also. SQL is more compatible with software packages than other competing databases.

Cons

Parts can be not intuitive unless you've been using it for awhile. It is a technical piece of software that requires time and training. If you need the Enterprise edition for specific features, it is expensive.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

We needed a back-end database for our new product. We had an AngularJS front end and needed a fast, efficient relational database. We wanted an industry standard that would be supported for many years going forward. We also needed reliability of a database that would meet our needs while continuing to improve in the future. SQL also has great support, user forums, groups, and 3rd party consultants. Many resources are available to us as we build our new solution and have questions. SQL Server in the cloud was a perfect fit for our organization which already used MS Azure.

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,632 reviews