What are Microsoft SQL Server users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Microsoft SQL Server software through verified user reviews

1,688 Reviews

1,051

• icon"The availability of support on the internet is just amazing. It works well for small sized to big sized companies and the security of these databases is top notch."
  • icon"The GUI that comes with to manage, administer and tune databases is probably the best there is. The performance tracking, monitoring and analysis features are probably the best in the field."
  • icon"Ability to create databases easily and manage them. Can also integrate easily with other products like tableau."
  • icon"If you are not familiar with the inner workings of SQL you may get stuck trying to figure out performance problems."
  • icon"Mistakes could crash the whole database - system."
  • icon"For example if you miss a comma while listing out the fields you are querying for you can get a strange error rather than a syntax error."

Browse all Microsoft SQL Server Reviews

• Have you used Microsoft SQL Server and would like to share your experience with others?

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,667 reviews

Altaf

Top choose for relational database

Ruban

Performant and reliable DB from Microsoft

Pros

This DB is a very performant and reliable even with DB of large size. I have used this DB for more that 3 years and no issues. It integrates with more plugins and the management interface is simply the best tool to manage the SQL server. Since it comes with Microsoft we can easily check the performance of SQL server using Windows performance counters.

Cons

I've used this tool for more than 3 years and I dont have any cons that I can think of.

Gaurav

June 2022

Database solution for all your needs

Pros

Microsoft SQL server is one of the best database software around we have used n number of versions starting for sql server 2005 to 2016 and every version brought some value adds to an already amazing software. It’s very simple to use IDE with so many user friendly features makes it very popular to developer community.

Cons

Widely used Database software around for all the applications. We have used it for huge databases as well. Some people feel oracle is better in terms of speed when you have volume but I feel Microsoft sql server is more than capable of handling huge volume of transactions and this suits all your needs

Sergio R

Good RDBMS

Pros

Very easy to implement and integrate with other systems.

Cons

MS SQL Server consumes almost all compute resourses

Cost

Jonathan Alexander

May 2022

A robust database engine with high information security standards.

At the moment we have no negative features to add to the product

Pros

How safe this database engine can be, its integration with other technological tools, say, programming languages, infrastructure, datawarehouse and more

Cons

A bit the price, since the enterprise license is a bit expensive

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

We needed a more robust database engine due to the growth of the company and the processes that are currently being handled, plus the integrations with different platforms.

syed

microsoft

Pros

Microsoft sql server has has the best backup system in data base server which give in less and some time it gives us free use of server management system for out data holding in the organization

Cons

there no bad side of it it has all the best part of the given system and given services

Yuvraaj

There's a reason why most people choose SQL Server over other database softwares

I have never had any problems with SQL Server. It was always efficient and capable of doing whatever needed to be done.

Pros

Security is one of the most important aspects of database software since sensitive information can be stored in databases. SQL Servers are some one of the most secure servers out there so data is safe from hackers. The scaling aspect of this software is great so whether your business is very small or very large that uses huge amounts of data to be stored, SQL servers can scale and use appropriate resources to handle databases therefore no lagging issues and problems querying databases etc. which makes it extremely fast and efficient. With the large community that uses SQL Server, you have answers to almost all questions that you may have if you encounter any difficulties setting up or using the software, so troubleshooting is made really easy.

Cons

Cost could be an issue as this software could be a bit expensive however with that being said, you definitely will get quality. Also there might be certain compatibility issues with other non Microsoft software that your company may use so in some cases you might have to switch over to Microsoft softwares in your company depending on what they are.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Our company uses a Microsoft Infrastructure so it would have been really easy to integrate it into operation.

Innocent

Microsoft SQL Server Review

The SQL Server Product bas allowed us to build a powerful database, witch made it easier to save time in costumer relations.

Pros

The Microsoft SQL Server Product is easy to use and its integration with business processus is not a problem.

Cons

What I don't like : 1. The SQL Server Product is not suitable for small Database on personal computer 2. SQL Server versions are strongly related to Windows versions 3. The CVE-2022-23276 elevation of privilege vulnerability for Linux containers.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

We chose the Microsoft SQL Server Product because it is robust and it offers a high level of performance.

Jared

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

A Solid Database Management Software

Overall, it's a solid system that allows us to run our manufacturing business efficiently.

Pros

This is a solid choice for a database. We use it in our manufacturing company to almost manage our entire company. It has a lot of history and support from Microsoft and the overall user community. Therefore, it's easy to find help if needed.

Cons

Microsoft SQL Server tends to be expensive compared to free databases like PostgreSQL.

Eric

MS SQL Server for location based tracking

The overall experience with MS SQL From version 2006 thru to 2016 has been a very good one. We've utilized new features when presented in version upgrades. The DB reliability is excellent, the licensing cost is well within the range of "norm" for a comparable product. Would highly recommend MS SQL when considering other database servers.

Pros

We utilize MS SQL for its ease of installation, ease of migration between versions, and the access to developers familiar with the product within our price range. Its widely adopted, and readily supported by a large number of companies.

Cons

The cost and the fact that its purely windows based. Also kinda a memory hog if not setup properly.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

We wanted a product that was easy to find developers within our price range.

david

July 2022

Review of MS Sql server 2019, 2016, and prior

This product is the basis for all of our software products we customarily build for clients.

Pros

Perfectly standard SQL, full of features from backup to load sharing

Cons

Licensing per core, would prefer per processor

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

cost, operating system support (we're a Windows shop)

Gajanan

Fact, efficient and scalable relation database system

Its been around 10 Yrs I am using Microsoft SQL server is for development and I would be recommending to all business consumers to use this database and save the cost.

Pros

Simple and easy interface for developers. for end-use it supports all dashboarding tools. For the business users, low cost compared to other DBs. Security standards are implemented.

Cons

Some of the advanced functions should be added in SQL servers like for hieratical data connect by clause. packages.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

It's very user-friendly and easy and efficient.

Microsoft SQL Server Review

Easy to use and integrate with Microsoft products. But is very costly and limited to Windows machines.

Pros

Microsoft's solution gives you the peace of mind that disaster recovery alternatives are ample thanks to the utilization of log files, caching, and backups. Microsoft's software also has a tight interface with the.NET framework, which isn't the case with competitor alternatives. I use the .NET framework a lot so integration with .NET is a priceless feature for me personally.

Cons

Only Windows-based servers are supported by Microsoft SQL Server. I believe that developers may choose to host their websites on Unix-based workstations for a variety of reasons, including license costs and security concerns. One of the primary drawbacks of utilizing Microsoft SQL Server is the high cost of license. Although the program is free to use for development and educational purposes, any commercial usage comes with a hefty license cost.

July 2022

Awesome Experience

Pros

Using this software for a long time . Getting the best experience from it . The best relational database tools I've ever use

Cons

Using Relational database is the best experience but as I using the server that visualization is some creepy

Masoud

March 2022

A database system that you can trust your data with!

I believe we rely on Microsoft SQL Server and its great features and performance a lot. It's our first choice in terms of an RDBMS database and I believe it remains as such for a long time.

Pros

I've been using Microsoft SQL Server since version 2000 and I must say that every year the team behind it adds tons of improvements and great new features that keep this software a fantastic competitor in the market. The database engine is very clever in optimising your queries, giving insights on improvements and dealing with your complex queries. Microsoft's TSQL is very easy to understand and very easy to grasp even though in recent years the team have introduced more complex query templates but still it stands out impressively amongst the others. I also love that they have released the full version as a Developer version where you can try all the software's great features without any cost at all!

Cons

The huge cost difference between the Standard and the Enterprise version is a put off as certain features like table partitioning should be part of the Standard version.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

The greater community behind it and the performance difference made us go to Microsoft SQL Server as our first choice.

Germo

February 2022

my every day tool which I use, since it exists

I use SQL Server since it was obtained by Microsoft. I am specialized on it and I work only in projects where it is used as core technologie. I am a very experienced architect and developer, based on SQL Server And Microsoft BI.

Pros

It is easy to install. There is also a free Express Edition / Localdb, which has most features of the paid Version. The developer Edition has all Features of the Enterprise Edition. It is very easy to install even several instances on any system. I can solve nearly all tasks, I feel very confident. The documentation is great and it is easy to find answers to questions. It is just my every day tool.

Cons

If there are some heavy queries then the whole instance gets down, often even other instances on the same system. I don't understand why it is not possible to limit the effect. Many features which I would like to use are only available in the enterprise edition. But this edition cost much more than standard and I am forced to use only features of the standard edition. Often I am forced to use quite old version, for example 2016, but the current version is 2019. Again the reason is the price. Customers would need to spent more money for the latest version, therfore they force me to develop based on old versions.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Because the Company I worked for 20 years ago, MIS AG, wanted to switch from their MIS Alea to MSAS. All my projects where migrations from MIS Alea to MSAS or I started new projects based on MSAS. I loved it, and a few years later I loved SSAS even more. It is a great product. But SSAS is just the icing on the cake. The main work is in the backend, and I also felt in love with the backend.

Shawn

December 2021

SQL Server a Building Block of Tech Stack

Good overall experience. We're addressing the need to store, transform, and retrieve data. Information has become the backbone of many technological and business operations, and almost everything I work on goes through a SQL database to accomplish the job. It's one tier of applications that is used almost everywhere. SQL Server allows us to query data for reporting to end users, and also provides options to move and transform the data to different environments.

Pros

At our firm, we have a completely Microsoft tech stack; from servers, databases, middleware, peripheral applications, etc. When using all Microsoft products, it is extremely easy to connect and integrate between applications, servers, and databases. I am less sure about integrating with other providers (such as oracle), but I know its possible with a little more effort. Maintenance, backups, restores, disaster recovery plans all seem routine now. The product is very familiar and there is ample documentation and general SQL training. Get a good DBA and your servers will stay healthy as well; certain system settings are important, and monitoring those and adjusting for your business is prudent. SSMS is an easy IDE to use and perform any function. You can use SQL to automate many tasks, and I really like the SQL jobs. SSIS lets me automate so much, even to and from external vendors, using SFTP or some other mechanism. It extends SQL Server to use any script or basic Windows command.

Cons

When you run into an issue, it can be hard to resolve. An example would be when Microsoft data connectors aren't working. Understanding and getting the right supporting software installed is important; like OLE DB and ODBC connectors. Another difficulty can be performance. As data sets get larger, this is more important. While there are enough tools to investigate and troubleshoot, sometimes it's just a big effort to try to query tune, index, or adjust server settings to get the results in performance that you want. Queries seem to only get more complex, and data sets larger. I am pretty sure other databases will perform better with Big Data.

Mir Fida

Best database management tool for relational databases

I would recommend it to all low-scale and small organizations that are already using MS Office products or subscriptions. Its interface is similar to learn and use like other Microsoft software. Enterprise and large corporates can look into Oracle services if they require specific Oracle-made enterprise functions and features to handle very complex data.

Pros

First and foremost, it has all the features and functionality from the basics to advanced users for relational database management. Can be integrated well with other Microsft software especially Visual Studio code for a smooth development experience. Along with data storage management, professional performance analysis can be performed through GUI server management studio tools like Database Tuning Advisor. Data Analysts will find data extraction and filtration as well as visual & interactive report generation quite beneficial in their routine tasks. Backup and restore from one SQL server to another is fairly simple. Pricing is very reasonable according to the DBMS system and tools that are provided.

Cons

One of the main issues is that licensing price packages are difficult to choose due to confing choices for common users. One other limitation is that a backup made in a newer version of MS SQL server is not compatible with an older version of SQL Server. For large volumes of data records and for complex data it becomes slower to process queries. Taking backup of a very large number of records also takes time. Sometimes difficult to debug syntax errors.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

We decided to use an MS SQL server as it suits our needs in pricing, features, and performance. Also, it is easier to use for development teams that are already using Microsoft products like MS Office. Students should also use it to learn the basics of SQL through a GUI environment. Oracle database service is more expensive due to the fact it handles complex & large-scale enterprise data. We did not require those enterprise features.

Anthony

The Only Enterprise Level DBMS I Use

We build enterprise level SAAS, Desktop, Web and Mobile applications and API's. I've been SQL Server for over a decade mainly as a DB Developer but at times as an administrator as well.

Pros

A mature DBMS with no limits. Anything we or our customers wanted has always been possible with SQL Server. First class security, speed, and connection capabilities have enabled us to create world class applications for desktop, mobile, and web. The SQL Server community is huge which is critical for those new or rarely used features. I've been working in SQL Server for over a decade and still haven't touched many of the features available. Having a robust community makes learning any new feature quick and easy!

Cons

It's not a SQL Server thing per se... but Microsoft's support in general is weak at best. I've never really had a good experience using Microsoft support as it is slow and cumbersome and many times the reps don't communicate well. The huge community is what really what makes all Microsoft products manageable as most anything you want to learn or figure out is a quick browser search away.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Since I develop on the Microsoft stack it goes hand in hand.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

MySQL worked for single standalone web apps. But when it came to generating a full scale relational model we needed to step it up to SQL Server.

Hasan

SQL Server

Overall experience is just amazing. I have been using it for almost 2 years and it helped my organization a lot during release upgrade and it made database migrations so smooth.

Pros

Microsoft SQL is quite simple to install and configurations are also easy. As it is a relational database management system, it is a perfect tool for data analysts. As it enable users to filter and extract required data in a few seconds. The product comes with a lot of features like Query analyzer, Integration services, Job scheduler and Reporting services as well. Restoration and backup of multiple databases is a great advantage and I found this feature very useful because it helps a lot in restoring databases in case of any disaster. Also, one can easily schedule tasks in job tools section which is also a very helpful feature of this tool.

Cons

Well, it occupies more data storage in order to install database engine as compared to other SQL databases. Also, support is pretty much expensive and requires a lot of maintenance. It consumes too much resources to load and start.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

As Microsoft SQL Server is not an open source product it means it has more extra features that open source tools do not provide. I had to use some advance features in modern databases for better optimization of queries that is why I preferred to switch to Microsoft SQL Server.

Chirag

Rock solid, reliable and efficient database

We have enjoyed using SQL Server for various OLTP and data warehousing workloads. It is a workhorse. Its performance is fantastic. Tooling surrounding it is great. We have not encountered a single issue with it. We also have a great local meetup where we discuss the constant improvements SQL Server brings each year.

Pros

We love SQL Server's versatility. Every single application we purchase for insurance has support for SQL Server. We have not come across any situation where SQL Server didn't meet our needs.

Cons

License models are a bit confusing. Some years Microsoft make it easy to understand. Other years Microsoft makes it even more confusing. Can we run SQL Server in our data centers? Can we run it on the cloud? Do we need to change licensing to run in the cloud? Those questions sound easy to answer but the answers we get from Microsoft or resellers confuse us more. It just seems like the confusion is intentional.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

The cost and feature/functionality of SQL Server was a great fit for company our size compared to Oracle. We also use MySQL and PostgreSQL for various workloads, SQL Server being the workhorse for majority of OLTP workload.

Brenten

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Powerful and Scalable Database Software

Storing large quantities of production data to solve quality and efficiency problems has been a big use for SQL. All of the reporting and power to analyze data has solved countless puzzles for me in my job capacity. I also have done a lot of database administration for our ERP software and the tiles to tune and optimize have always been very helpful.

Pros

One of my favorite things about Microsoft SQL Server is the scalability. Whether you are using the free version for a small program running on a local machine or running an entire factory it is the same basic concept of programming and administration. I really appreciated being able to work to have a database software that could grow and expand when I need it too. Additionally the reporting and automation packages that come with it are super powerful. I would absolutely recommend using Microsoft SQL Server as anyone’s data as software

Cons

The biggest con in my opinion is that some of the more advanced features for big data analysis and high availability are in the top tier pricing which can be hard for smaller companies to afford. Other than that I have never not been able to solve a problem with Microsoft SQL.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Microsoft SQL had superior options and capabilities.

Kudakwashe

Data Management made so easy with MS SQL Server

Pros

For any developer, before first they can this own what their apps are going to be developed in their should think of what server should host their database. I do believe that MS SQL Server is the best on the marketing when comes to data management and administration. The best feature that i really love the most on MS SQL Server is the ability to disable remote execution of your queries and really helps protect data integrity in case your server authentication has been compromised. You can also be rest assured that your data is consistent and accurate at all times. Yes hackers some times can try sql injection but i believe MS SQL Server its the most secure servers around.

Cons

The license key for MS SQL might cost you an arm and a leg but at the end of the day its really worth it when you think of a platform where you are able to develop enterprise apps that secure and helps with Business Intelligence.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

In the case of Oracle DB vs MS SQL Server, MS SQL Server is easy to manage, easy to configure and has a huge community in case when you are stuck with any problem you are guaranteed to get a solution online.

Filipe

SQL Server review

SQL server is great, because i can use the same language same application, and for small customers it uses free option, and only for best performnace or bigger data need to pay for it Can use it locally on on cloud

Pros

SQL Server is a great system to develop databases with great functionalities like jobs, procedures, functions ans so one

Cons

For me the only think not so good is performance for bigger batabases, but for me between 10GiB and 15GiB works fine

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

SQL server is lot less expensive and have a free option for small aplications or for small customers

Imi

Industry: Political Organization

SQL is getting better as it grows older

SQL Server centralized my data and allows my staff to "believe" that they are working in Excel, It is super fast for loading data from the server, and allow large data set that will normally take hours, or even crash the Excel spreadsheet to load without any issue. When I am ready for a web app.. SQL server is easy as piece to develop a simple CRUD application and push live. It seem to connect to every thing - from MS Word Mail merge, MS Excel, MS Access and of course for development environment such as Visual Studios. One Database ( Centralized) and many presentation modes for the end users. I love it!

Pros

MS SQL Server is certainly a competently relational database engine, with reporting service and now R. Easy to install for small onpremise application. Easy to administer, easy to backup, easy because it is a Microsoft application. It is so easy that most of the application today I work on seem to be pulling data from SQL into Excel and or Power BI. You can start from free version and expand as time goes by. The management studio take the pain our of scripting, and the online support community most likely have your questions answered with T-SQL scripts for copy and pasting. If you deciding on an option for an Relational Database system - you should look at this as your most productive option. It allows you to focus on the problem by making the technology easy.

Cons

The new the version, the more memory intensive this management studio will become. Microsoft need to create some more easy to use tool for change control and change tracking. Backward compatibility - if you used a higher version during development, then it become a pain to use a lower version during production environment.

Reasons for choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Cost and community of supporters, access to information on the open internet . Available of training.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft SQL Server

Ease of use, Easy to learn, easy to teach easy to integrate with well know tools.

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,667 reviews