• Pros

• "It's easy to use and straight forward. I'm not not only handling reports for my team but for multiple departments as well. "

• "Awesome team behind the product, always responsive and helpful. They've taught me a lot not only about their tool but also about data analytics."

• "Easy to navigate, can easily filter the report"

• Cons

• "Although this is not my feedback (since most of my experience with sigma was SUPER positive), my compnay says it's quite high (cost) for the benefit"

• "The filters can sometimes be confusing until you get the hang of how the software thinks. "

• "Some UI elements could be improved, but once you know where to find certain things you'll pick it up."

Browse Sigma Reviews

Sam from Teikametrics

Incredibly Useful Tool for data analysis and workflow

Pros

The speed with which I'm able to pull together disparate data and generate some useful insights. The Dashboard functionality has been particularly useful in creating reporting our teams can use with customers and prospects.

Cons

Version management and permissions. It's hard to keep everyone looking at the same version of a document, to view data, a document is created and generically named, so our folder system is getting very full and hard to navigate. Additionally, there's no way to tell if another user will be able to see a given document without asking them to try viewing it, and there's no way for them to request view access to that document.

Luke from Logan Bussey

Excel for your data warehouse

I help B2B SaaS startup founders and CMOs with their customer data platforms and reporting. The ability to create additional columns on your data containing custom formulas and the ability to sort and filter on multiple columns is great. One of my clients uses Sigma and I’ve been extremely impressed at how easy and quickly it is to build reports on multiple tables of data without writing any complex SQL. For example, sessionization of page view and event time series data is a complex SQL query which can be performed within a few minutes in Sigma without any knowledge of SQL. It’s a great tool for business users.

Pros

I’ m very impressed at Sigma’s ease of use for building reports from my clients data warehouse running on Snowflake. If you can use Excel, and understand the data in your database you can be up and running extremely quickly without having to write SQL queries or any code to describe your database. The ability to create additional columns on your data containing custom formulas and the ability to sort and filter on multiple columns is great.

Cons

As with any tool there is a learning curve to the interface, but since it’s similar to a spreadsheet, it’s quick to learn. Theres no feature yet to save custom formulas to be used across worksheets so you’ll have to copy and paste them for now.

Rostyslav from Juvo

Good product, becoming better every quarter

I was using Sigma increasingly over the last year or so. One thing that I am most pleased with is how in the new releases I can see the issues raised by me and my coworkers addressed and solved. It is becoming more and more usable with time.

Pros

Sigma is a quick and easy way to map from a SQL query through intermediate exploration to customer-ready visualization

Cons

No way to save the complete project as code, which can be edited, version-controlled, ported, etc

martha from olivela

positively mixed feelings

Overall I have access to more than our previous reporting system, which is a positive. However, as self serve as it is I wish connecting tables and validating was more straightforward as a user.

Pros

I like how customizable it is. From a good basic report I can move things around to suit my needs. In addition it has many options for how to export, which is great as I use excel for more complex files & google sheets for collaborating & sharing findings.

Cons

Load times to get to a report or filter can be killer for some reports that pull from many data sources, and have large amounts of information. The permissions are a bit annoying when a report is created for me by an admin, but I am the report owner (as it was made for my department), but I can't make my own changes (w/o admin privlidges) and archive the main one. In these cases, I have to request the admin to make the changes, or make a copy and publish my own report and again contact the admin to delete or move the report so that mine is the one the team goes to first.

Krystyna from Roofstock

Highly recommended!

Excellent! I use it on the daily.

Pros

Cons

I'm still learning the depths but it's one of the best programs that I've had the opportunity to use. I would say the only thing that can be annoying, is the load speed. Sometimes my tables and dashboards time out.

Leon from Lime

A useful tool for specific problems

Monthly compliance reporting handoff to non-technical individuals.

Pros

For someone who is not particularly tech savvy, Sigma is a great way to take SQL queries written by someone who is, and then be able to modify the data in real time using the sort of functionality we're all used to via Excel. Sigma also is easy to export data from, and the scheduling functionality is quite useful for recurring reports.

Cons

Because Sigma has to re-pull data every time you open a sheet, it is incredibly slow. Certain reports can take multiple minutes to load, and once any filters are applies, it has to re-pull the report, causing those minutes to be lost again. Because of this, it's often easier to just download all the data and then do the filtering/etc in excel/google sheets.

Michell from Zagster

Good price, needs more features

This has been a net positive for our org.

Pros

Sigma allows viewers for free, even viewers from outside your organization.

Cons

The dashboard feature is not fully built out - many features seem to be missing. For example, I can't put percents on a pie chart.

Austin from Volta Charging

Industry: Oil & Energy

Pros

Ease of use and visibility is great! Love the data that we are able to pull and how easy the interface is to use.

Cons

There are a few features that I would love to see added. Mainly that when you are working with large data sets, it can be hard on the system and lead to slow processing time.

Samuel from TSAV

Sigma - Ease of use

Sigma is a great way to share smaller sets of data. It allows me to prepare for my clients by pulling together reports quickly in an easy format.

Pros

The software is pretty easy and intuitive, except for the UI, at first. You don't really need much training on instruction, making it easy for you to play around with until you get the idea.

Cons

Sometimes when I have put things into the CSV filter they end up in the wrong place. Also the UI is kind of weird if you've never used it, but I was able to get used to it fairly quickly.

Alaia from Roofstock

Lots of functionality

Pros

Great UI and incredible functionality! Been very happy with the product so far.

Cons

Definitely a learning curve at first -- lots to learn.

Tania from Wizeline

Using Sigma as a Software developer

I think is a nice tool, is easy to use and it's fast. You can load your data and start analyzing it very fast, also, it's a nice tool for non technical users, but when I need more features or power I rather to use Data Studio

Pros

Is an easy to use software, I liked that it's very fast, I don't have to wait to start seeing the data

Cons

It needs more features, specially to migrate the worksheets to different environments, also it has a very limited number of functions. Sometimes the error messages are not very descriptives, so we can't know what's happening or how to solve it (we had a worksheet with an error like: "the joins are not efficient", something like that, so that message was kind of useless)

Reasons for Choosing Sigma

i suggest Google Data Studio, but they choose Sigma because it's a lot easier to use

Scott from Peaksware

Sigma - making SQL a visual effort

It has been great. The tool fit very naturally into my companies data flow and getting _explorable_ data into stakeholders hands. We also have a more static dashboarding tool that excels at that, but is weak for exploration. Sigma also makes my job as an analyst easier by making data sets explorable using point-n-click tools vs code

Pros

Makes 'easy' queries very easy to work on and see results visually immediately. Natural way to think about grouping objects but still showing the 'row' level data is amazing and a huge selling point on getting non data people to use the sheets shared with them. Makes the mental structuring of large undertakings choppable into smaller to-do's and then joining sheets together

Cons

Expanding on my point in my pro's about chunking down large undertakings to smaller conceptual efforts per sheet.... this is not very performant. I have two projects where I create a base sheet and then have 2-6 sheets built off of it before potentially joining them back together to combine the aspects I've added. This however, results in the base sheet/query being run numerous times and is often times a time consuming query to begin with. In a code based environment this could be made more performant by using a WITH statement so it only has to execute once and can then be used multiple times Joins have to be exact matches (no date comparison) and can only be on original columns from the data source. Therefore, if a column must be switched from integer to string, you have to create a reference to the sheet before being able to join to other tables.

Mia from Volta Charging

Turns non-technical business users into data power users

Stellar overall experience. The Sigma team makes a massive effort to truly understand and design around customer needs and use cases, as well as to provide hands-down the best customer support and training I have ever received from a B2B vendor, period.

Pros

The ability to connect to any data number of data sources across our enterprise data warehouse to extract useful insights for my team. Without a line of coding I can report, analyze, and visualize data from our CRM, IoT data streams, 3rd party APIs, and now .csv uploads. The full access is balanced by perfect row-level security controls so I can use the same system to power data dashboards and portals for internal teams as I do for external clients.

Cons

The upside of being able to access ALL data streams leads to a downside -- it can take a long time to process and load information. However I look forward to data materialization features in the works which will eliminate this problem.

Sean from Peaksware

Revolutionary Data Tool

The most significant impact of Sigma has been exposing data to so many people around the business who would otherwise have had to go through the data team bottleneck, both slowing their access to data and limiting the explorability and agility of the results. However, this can be accomplished in a controlled manner with Sigma, ensuring that stakeholders only have access to vetted sources of truth procured by the data team.

Pros

- ability to explore and inspect the source data and perform sophisticated SQL functions via GUI (group, join, aggregate, etc.) - ability to create single source of truth worksheets and build all related content off of that, instead of reinventing the wheel with every new query - unlimited reader accounts allows usage to really take off and flourish instead of hamstringing itself

Cons

- pricing still unclear as to what constitutes an author vs a reader - based on recent conversations with Sigma I'm afraid that we are going to be upcharged on items that were never made clear to us (I am still unclear) - new software still has its share of bugs

Reasons for Choosing Sigma

The dashboarding tool Mode Analytics pre-existed Sigma at Peaksware and they continue to operate side by side. However, very few new reports are being created with Mode compared to Sigma, given the greater value to the end user who wants to dig deeper.

Shawn from Palo Alto Software

Sigma shaved 5 hours off my monthly reporting

While Sigma could be great for a lot of use cases, there is one in particular that I use it for. Every month I have a summary report that I have to put together. I used to run multiple database queries, dump the data out into Excel, do some manual sorting and manipulation of the data, and then build out pivot tables so that I could see trends month over month. Sigma takes care of all of the data fetching, formatting, and styling for me (and lets me do it in a way that turns out better than I had in Excel). Doing the reports this way, now saves me about 5 hours a month off of that monthly report that I was doing, which means that I have more time for data exploration, and spend less time with data garbage collection.

Pros

I love the ability to build out extra columns in my data visually, which lets me build pivot tables that I cannot even replicate in Excel. Having built out tables once, I can reuse them again and again with fresh data without having to pull and manually re-translate everything like I used to do. Having the ability to change the type of data in a column to a new structure saves me a lot of time. Extracting JSON from my tables is a snap!

Cons

While the documentation is good, I wish there was a little better messaging around error handling. Sigma formatting is slightly different from the PostgreSQL that I am used to. I wish that there was a little more visual punch to the charts I can make.

Jen from Olivela

It works!

I use Sigma to manage inventory company wide across the country and it's easy to see where things are and when.

Pros

easy to see all info in one place, for multiple needs

Cons

I have no complaints about anything sigma. but we also have someone who was able to walk me through how to create different reports at my workplace

Juan from Lime

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Pros

Great charts, filters and databases, easy to use and learn

Cons

Layout and colors, not nice or fancy first experience

Kevin from Delphix

Great analytics product, easy to set up and use

Sean from Lime

Sigma Daily Use

Pros

It was easy to store data and share with partners.

Cons

The user dash is a bit basic. It would be great to see a wider variety of tools and functions.

Yuting from Clover network inc

Good BI for basic data visualization

Pros

1. excel like so it's easy to pick up 2. can connect to the live database and without writing SQL query 3. can share the worksheet and schedule to send out the worksheet via email

Cons

1. it's not easy to use if you want to do a complicated report: once you aggregate multiple worksheets / refer other worksheet and apply multiple filters, it's hard to verify your result and make it in the correct format. 2. the articles to discuss the Sigma features or best practice are not comprehensive.

Eric from Marketing and Advertising

Good platform with potential

I like the trajectory the company is heading, and would recommend depending on fit to objective.

Pros

Sigma is a dynamic and agile system, helping us remove the use of Excel for day-to-day calculations. Their team is supportive and hands-on, which is probably the best part of the company.

Cons

Still very basic and could stand to invest further into UI.

Wallace from JetClosing

Solid BI Tool to use for Enterprise Analytics

The customer support has been very nice and prompt. The product has even evolved with ideas that we have asked for. The overall product and development team is very receptive and responsive to customer needs.

Pros

The ease of hook up to my database. Ease of report building. Use of functions and how it can interpret dates.

Cons

Dashboard to dashboard they cannot communicate and dashboards have a little different functionality than worksheets. Sigma is still very young in age and I am sure things will change.

Marissa from Olivela

Sigma Review

I use sigma multiple times a day, 5 days a week and with the exception of a few internal tweaks, I am generally happy with the program.

Pros

Easy exporting into excel, formula customization, overall data customization, saving personal reports

Cons

Dragging and dropping columns in the sidebar isn't the most efficient. Also, the loading time when changing filters is so long! I find myself exporting the data dump into excel for easier and faster use. Also the constant formula adjusting to achieve the correct data - I've been using the program for about 6 months and reporting isn't 100% yet.

Frank from TrainingPeaks

Increase the visibility of your data across teams and find your own answer to data questions

I am slowly getting up to speed with Sigma but can see already that as I commit to it we will greatly increase the speed at which my team can answer questions we have regarding all of the data we are collecting. There will be a day where I will no longer have a need for Excel and Google Sheets.

Pros

Really like the ease of being able to expose our data across teams and allow each individual user to be able to answer the questions they have with the tools supplied, grouping and filters being two of the easiest and most useful for me.

Cons

Up to the this point the visualizations aka charts have been difficult for me to create, but I will admit I haven't committed to taking a deep dive into learning. Also would like to be able to annotate from within a report (eg. cell) rather than at the top level within the description.

Heather from Bitmo

Great for comprehensive reporting

Pros

As a marketer, Sigma is an incredibly valuable tool that allows my team to aggregate data to inform our decisions and scale up. I like the ability to drill app activity down to the user level in order to identify trends and specific user behaviors.

Cons

It can be very overwhelming! Not instantly intuitive but not hard to learn either. My biggest complaint is that it was often very slow.

Caroline from Yesware

Sigma for Usage Reports

We are using sigma to pull usage data from our customer base. We rely heavily on this data in order to measure the value that the customers are getting from Yesware, identify churn risks and areas for adoption. Without Sigma, I would not be able to do my job to the best of my ability.

Pros

Access directly from the browser, quickly pulls the results I need

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to sift through the different dashboards - this could be an internal issue

Sigma

Very positive in my daily work.

Pros

Sigma allows us to have instant access to the data that are ingested into snowflake. It allows me to access all the raw data, which is what I need, rather than concise dashboard data.

Cons

Data tables can be a little difficult to learn at first, but just like anything, you can learn it over time with enough familiarity with the product.

Blake from Zagster, Inc.

A vast improvement over our previous product

Using Sigma as a tool to prioritize asset service and inspection has been a game changer. Much better visualization tools than the competitor's product we previously used.

Pros

It is much faster and easier to read than our old reporting software

Cons

I would like the ability to modify the sort on the fly. Currently an admin has to adjust it, if it is needed

Great tool our needs - fast and easy navigation of snowflake data, quick reporting, data validation

Pros

Easy and intuitive user interface. Licensing is for creators, viewer usage unlimited. Visual designer for lookups and joins. Fast learning curve for non technical users. Team is super responsive. Works very well with snowflake.

Cons

Not a tableau/power bi replacement, some features still immature

Ashlie from Olivela

I appreciate the customization options.

My overall experience has been positive, there is definitely a learning cure for the non-analytical.

Pros

I appreciate being able to start with a report created by our analytics team and tweak it to suit my department's needs.

Betsy from Teikametrics

Great Potential

We're starting to think of problems we can solve, but having disorganization in your company's data doesn't make it easier.

Pros

The ease of combining data sets and manipulating data in a way that makes sense to me.

Cons

It's not super user-friendly. I don't have a ton of experience with SQL and I feel like I am limited.

Nathan from Lime

Very Convenient Software to Use but have found less use for it as we've matured as a company

I used Sigma very often when I joined Lime in October through early 2019. However, I learned how to use SQL and was more flexibly able to use Snowflake. Going to Snowflake gave me more flexibility. So I moved away from Sigma

Pros

The software is very powerful allowing me to do things I couldn't have given my previous lack of SQL It made sharing queries in a useable way easy

Cons

Given that we constantly updated underlying queries, version control of various worksheets was hard. Also, sometimes Sigma was slow as I think the query ran everytime a manipulation happened

Kevin from Lime

Sigma Review

Pros

Easy to navigate, can easily filter the report

Cons

As a user, data integrity is questionable since there is no clear way to know if the source of the data is accurate

Chen from Mirapath

solid product

Pros

constant update and improve; great online support and customer service.

Cons

the navigation bar needs improvement, too many clicks every time.

Easy use for non-SQL experts

- Easy to use - Easy to learn - Great for non-SQL writter

Pros

I work for tech companies and one of my main challenges was always not beign able to write my own queries. It was veyr useful to be able to create Joins more viasually without actually writting the script. This allowed to created my own results without depending on other.

Arnav from Volta Charging

sigma ≠ stress

Pros

- Ease of use for individuals who aren't very familiar with databases

Cons

- Loading times - Mapping customizability

Emma from Olivela

Good product

Pros

Ability to connect to multiply databases

Cons

Not enough flexibility to edit tables like excel

Lauren from Olivela

Sigma Computing Review

it's been ok, better than the system i was using before but certainly not the best i have used.

Pros

The options are nice to have. We also have been able to compute what we need from the report.

Cons

It is the slowest thing on the face of the earth

adya from olivela

It is a good software but would be so much better if loading time could be reduced

Pros

Different custom filters that can be built in, personalization

Cons

Loading time- makes the process very hard- refreshing the grid takes forever

Courtney from Yesware

Basic Reporting Tool

Pros

I like that I can pull my customer's usage with ease

Cons

I think this is mostly how our account is set up - like we haven't invested that much time to set it up but wish there were graphics pulling the data together.

Laura from Lime

Industry: Public Policy

As a non-data team member, I find Sigma navigable and intuitive

Great for a non-data team member accessing and pulling reports.

Pros

Pulling reports is easy, there are plenty of filters, and I can usually find what I need pretty quickly.

Cons

Haven't looked around enough to find challenges, but maybe more learning opps in app would help that.

Allen from Lime

Sigma review

Pros

Connection to Snowflake, good UI, can make adjustments / calculations to columns

Cons

Functionality is not as robust as I'd like (e.g. lacking some charting capaciblities)

Andrew from Lime

Easily data management

Pros

It was extremely easy for someone with no data experience to start using the product.

Cons

The visualization features were lacking

Easy but limiting

Cross functional reporting

Pros

Like the fact anyone non technical can use the software

Cons

It’s limiting in terms of how you can analyse the data.

Sarah from Oregon State University

A user perspective

Meh. Not enough customization for users to really be useful.

Pros

I appreciate having real-time access to the data.

Cons

I want more customization- quite often I'd like to manipulate the reports through the platform to show different data subsets or to change the cross-tabs, but I can only review what others have already set up for me. You can't anticipate in advance what kind of reports you will need in the future - best to have the flexibility to create data visualizations on the fly.

Heidi from Hardware

Great intuitive UI

Sigma is excellent for people need to analyze huge amount data and still have the capability to get the job done quickly like you using pivot table in Excel.

Pros

Very intuitive UI interface, especially for people used to excel and not familiar with SQL.

Cons

joining tables seems to be not working very well for me.

Kelly from MakeMusic

Sigma

Pros

The data that it contained, ability to export to CSV

Cons

As a sales guy—rather than a tech-heavy role—I found it to be cumbersome and unfamiliar. I’ve simply used Sigma as a way to download important data so I can bring it into Excel.