• Pros

• "I like overall every feature of this software. It has made my work easier, especially regression analysis. "

• "My favorite part is definitely Stata's ease of use. Stata is by far the most intuitive program for statistical analysis, as the syntax for commands is purely logical and easy to pick up."

• "I have done so many regression analysis with this product and it is very good at it. Also It is providing quite good graphs and cross tables which are really usefull for my works."

• Cons

• "Update is installed easily but sometime it take long time to update and create error in analyses. Else I like it!"

• "There isn't many things I like the least but if I have to mention one it has to be the user interface that for me can improve a bit in order to be more user friendly and easy to use. "

• "- Lack of free online courses available to improve even faster. - Cumbersome tabulations export from Stata to MS Excel for example. - Still expensive, but indeed worth the money."

Browse Stata Reviews

Rahat from Bella Private Markets

Industry: Research

Excellent for econometric analysis.

There are some things that Stata does extremely well - the statistics and econometrics in particular. And it does these things reliably and fast, with a good support network. If you're willing to pay for it, performance is even better - using up to 64 cores. But for more general purpose statistical work, R is not only free, but better (even though it is more buggy).

Pros

This is statistical programming software that is excellent for canned econometric procedures. Reliable and fast, with a huge library of procedures built in, and an even bigger user-contributed library. Online support through the statalist forum is also amazing. It also has a matrix programming language (Mata). The graphics capabilities are also easy to use and very high quality. Has a lot of related features like heatmaps, producing production-quality regression tables, etc.

Cons

This software is expensive. You're paying for something that is reliable, tried and true, with a great support network. But there are other free options, such as R. Furthermore, while this is excellent for canned statistical and econometric procedures, the programming language itself is not anywhere near as developed as something like R. For example, work with text etc is out of the picture. It is quite un-intuitive for someone coming with a programming background, and has weird quirks - such as only being able to keep on dataset in memory at a time. These issues mean that achieving what could be achieved in 3 lines of code in another language, might take 100s in Stata.

Stata is the best.

I have found Stata to be capable of doing 99% of the things I need a stats program to do, and it does them quickly, efficiently, and without much work on my part. Most issues I have run into with Stata are user-generated, and quickly solved by referencing Stata's extensive documentation or its very strong Stata discussion community. That said, it was a bit intimidating at first, being that it's mainly command-driven rather than menu-driven. This creates a slight issue when trying to bring coworkers who haven't used Stata before into the fold.

Pros

I enjoy the interface -- maybe just because I'm used to it. Still, the flexibility of being able to type something into the command line ad hoc rather than writing it into a syntax file when I just want to see what a command is going to do with out "committing" is nice. The general structure of how Stata presents data and elements of the data within the GUI, specifically the ability to see basically everything in one main window, tends to make my life a lot easier.

Cons

It's kind of ugly. The output especially is pretty bad, even using Stata markup log files. I find that colleagues who do not use Stata are a bit off-put by output I send them in plain-text log files, compared to fancier tables/web reports easily generated in SPSS. Even though my workplace is currently paying for it, I am still not a fan of Stata's pricing structure.

Reasons for Choosing Stata

I have been using Stata for years now -- I switched from SPSS to Stata during my graduate program. There is a bit of a stats package prestige issue in academia, and for whatever reason Stata is a bit higher in the rankings than SPSS. That said -- the way a stats program handles various calculations, to me, only seems to matter with higher level analyses (let's say anything beyond regression). In these scenarios I have typically found that Stata handles them better overall than SPSS, including more options and modes of calculation. That said, there are more powerful packages out there depending on the specific analysis/need, such as MPlus for structural equations. That said, most of my work does not require high level statistics. My preference toward Stata really comes down to the fact that I like the scripting language and overall format of the program (look of the main window, and the actual process of "doing" statistics in the program). My prior familiarity with the Stata language also influenced my choice to use Stata. Perhaps most importantly, I find Stata to allow me to do whatever it is I'm trying to do quickly and efficiently, more so than other statistics packages.

Reasons for Switching to Stata

Simply because I was given the option and I prefer Stata, having used both.

Response from StataCorp

Replied October 2019

Thanks for the feedback!

Swaty from UIC

Easy statistical analysis

Excellent product! I like the help feature as well. Everything is explained in the documents provided in help tool

Ease of use

Rafael from INGENIERÍA DE CONSULTA INCOSTAS, SA

Acceptable statistical analysis and inference tool.

Although it is not the software that I normally use, especially due to the deficiencies in its graphical presentation of results, I use it frequently to compare the results it produces, against the results obtained with other software, both commercial and self-developed. This has allowed me, in many cases, to validate the results obtained.

Pros

Price, that although it is not cheap, if it is competitive with respect to other softwares of similar characteristics. It allows me ample freedom to customize the way of presenting the results obtained, which in general is not the best. The after-sales service is good, with regular updates and an excellent help section.

Cons

Talking with my students, the cost is accessible to people like me, but it is not for the average student, especially when the licenses must be renewed periodically. If there is something to criticize the program is the way of presenting the data, where there is a lot of improvement field, since the outputs produced by default are of limited quality and presentation, especially if you want to enter a publication. The error code messages are not very useful in order to solve the error.

Xorla from DRIAN Ghana

Great for Academic Research and Mid level professional data work

Before Stata, we were using Excel for almost all of our data work.....mostly because it was free. Switching to Stata however cut down our manual processes drastically; reducing task times by up to 80%. The main issue we ever had was with the product licencing and product access for our team. The response time in resolving the issues weren't as prompt as we would have hoped.

Pros

The range of functionality in the software, the free training and help resources available online, the ease of creating reports from your work, etc.

Cons

1. The software interface was a bit intimidating for me as a beginner coming from Excel 2. the computer requirements for running the software were rather high, and the devices we had at the time couldn't quite run them smoothly so we had to replace most of them.

Reasons for Switching to Stata

Not suited to the nature of work we had moved on to. The volume of work made was simply too much to execute productively with Excel.

Daren from SimplePractice

God bless Stata

Pros

Stata is such a flexible stats tool. If the native features don’t work for you, someone has probably created something that will. All you have to do is use the “findit”command.

Cons

There is a learning curve, and I wonder if I could have learned it on my own as I learned it in grad school.

Reasons for Switching to Stata

Stata is less expensive and offers more features and functionality.

Tigran from Acba Credit Agricole Bank

Review for Stata

Stata is a very good statistical software for people who are not familiar with coding, but are required to work with financial time series. It has all types of regressions is very comfortable to use. Also the last Stata update (Stata 16) supports Python, so you can write a Python code in Stata. This is a very comfortable for me as i am using both scrapping and financial time series analysis

Pros

First, Stata is super easy to use. (If you are not a programmer and coding is not your strongest skill, then Stata is a perfect match for you. You do not need to write a code in Stata in order to get the results. You can just use your mouse, find the right buttons, click them and get the results. Second, you can run basically all types of regressions in Stata. Third Stata is user friendly. It took you a while to get comfortable with it, but after 1-2 weeks of usage, you really start to love this statistical software

Cons

First of all it is price. Stata is very expensive and there are some softwares that let you to do almost the same things with the lower price or even free. Furthermore the graphics of Stata are not very beautiful, so I would never recommend you to use that graphs for your presentation

Qamar from Sarena Industries

Stata for regression, Correlation and F Model to analyzed data

Its good for Capacity, demand and forecasting analysis.I forecast differnt monetory events by using regression analysis with multi variables.

Pros

Stata having very user friendly interface.its shows 100% accurate result in regression and correlation analysis.Data can be import from excel and word which save a lot of time.Error term impact can be classified easily by applying error correction method.

Cons

Its costly, should be free upto certain level of data analysis so that students can easily approach.second there are some constraints while analysing cross sectional data.Minor typing error while comanding will leads towards differnt results.

Alphonce from AMREC Africa

Stata Review

I have been using stata for data management and data analysis for more than three years. I get all the information I need from raw data through the use of stata. Stata has made me serve the company's client with alot of ease and all the results have been appreciated by the company's clients.

Pros

I did not understand why my boss insisted on the use of Stata in his company until I started using it myself. Stata has been my best software for data management and analysis. Doing my work on do-file make it very easy to save my codes for future reference and use. Stata codes are short and easy to remember making my work easy.

Cons

One thing I dislike about stata is the way it outputs graphs and charts. Most of the graphs are not appealing to the eye.

Reasons for Switching to Stata

SPSS is equally a good software for data management and analysis but stata has features that make it very easy to use which makes it user friendly. It is very easy to code in stata and the do-file makes it very easy to keep saving your work.

Best Statistical software for research in health science

Actually, every time that I have a project from health research and I used Stata I have completely satisfied.

Pros

There are many statistical software in market such as SPSS, SAS, Minitab, R, NCSS, Stata, etc. I have more than 10 years experience using a couple of different statistical software and know their strengths and weakness. Stata is a very good statistical software with full of advanced statistical methods and its use is easy because it is menu driven and it has many good accompany documents. If you work a statistician or researcher in health and epidemiology this is the correct software for you. Furthermore, Stata generate publication ready graphics easily.

Cons

I wish Stata add an option for calling R inside it such as SPSS and SAS. But actually in most cases it don't need it really because it supports 99.5 percent of routines in itself. Note that 99.5 percent is my guess based on my experience because it always surprise me with new methods. Another Con is that this software is for users that need a variety of statistical methods and so it may seem complicated for novice users that only need basic methods.

Reasons for Switching to Stata

Stata is more comprehensive and is more suitable for health research based on its covering procedures.

Andra from Rice University

Good for academic data analysis

Overall, Stata is a very powerful platform to analyze data, especially when the project requires manipulating the data into new formats or performing matching, etc. Where it falls slightly short compared to other programs is that it does not allow for multiple datasets to be open at the same time, and it can crash, but this is fixed with diligent saving of do files, and the multiple datasets issue is not really a problem unless doing projects that require a large number of models with variables from different sets.

Pros

I am a PhD student that uses a combination of Stata and R for data analysis for academic papers. I like that Stata allows for manipulation of data in ways that are quite intuitive and straight-forward, and it allows one to manage datasets with a very large number of observations. Stata is also particularly good at allowing for the transformation of data from one format to another (for example, from long to wide) which allows for matching and subsequent easier manipulation.

Cons

My least favorite part about Stata is that it does not allow one to have multiple datasets open at the same time, like other programs do. Also, in my experience, one has to save the do-file they're working on very frequently because it is not rare for Stata to crash. But, with that knowledge, it's not really an issue to save often once you're used to it.

Response from StataCorp

Replied May 2020

Thank you for your feedback! With Stata 16, you can now have multiple datasets in memory. Read more about it at https://www.stata.com/new-in-stata/multiple-datasets-in-memory.

Agni from SUNY at Buffalo

Stata for learning Econometrics

I would say that having worked with stata using different datasets have improved my econometrics understanding. It is a great choice for research.

Pros

Stata is a statistical analysis software which is fairly easy to use. I believe It is the 2nd best software (after R) for learning econometrics. It has both coding and drop down interfaces. Easy to learn and there are ample of notes on internet which can be used in the learning process. Fast and powerful enough to run econometric models (even runs tobit model, which R can not do. R returns infinite SE many times). Since it is a paid software, the results it provides are reliable and that is why it is widely used by econometricians for their research. Since most of the economists use stata, it has a network externality, i.e. people can understand the research methodology by going over stata codes.

Cons

The reason I think it is the 2nd best is that it is not cheap. Also, it offers different licenses. The basic license costs 200 usd (approx). But it can work with only 2048 variables. For mor variables, you have to buy stata SE, which can work with 32,767 variables. Since most of the advanced public datasets has more than 2048 variables, it is difficult to manage with IC. So, they basically force you to buy SE. They should increase the number of variables to at least 10000 for the IC version.

Response from StataCorp

Replied September 2018

Thank you for your comments.

John from Department of Justice

Industry: International Affairs

Incredibly power big data analysis system that, though difficult to master, provides big results

-I was able to run trends for my college thesis on domestic and international terrorism growth and attacks. By using stata, I could create cross-time data sets to demonstrate trends in terrorism incidents from my collegiate database. -I also used this system extensively in an advanced statistics class where we ran risk analysis profiles for various companies, looking for inconsistencies between anticipated growth trends and actual trends. We were able to run statistical tests to determine likelihood of certain events and easily determine the margins of error. We analyzed vehicular risk information, health risk information across different states, trends in international fishing companies, etc. -The system is extremely powerful and can give the user strong evidence through analysis.

Pros

I used STATA SE, which is the large database version for an advanced statistics class extensively in college. As long as your computer has enough memory, STATA can take in vast quantities of data and very quickly provide complex graphs, will perform a variety of modifications for plotting a wide variety of regressions, analyze data from surveys, and will takes a variety of data inputs to use for the processing. STATA can analyze data sets across time, save your progress while you are working, sort and clean data, create dummy variables, and export your results. STATA is a fantastic program for research.

Cons

Coding the requested commands takes fairly extensive experience and practice. It usually takes upwards of 40 to 50 hours to master without any prior experience in STATA. Performing basic commands is a simple process with a guide, but interpreting the results can be difficult without significant experience with statistics.

Response from StataCorp

Replied November 2017

We appreciate the review. Always like hearing from our users!

Fan Xuan from University of Illinois

Click and drag possible for most analyses.

Pros

Unlike other competitors, STATA is used by many economists and economic researchers. It allows click-and-drag for most complicated statistical analysis (such as Multilevel models, Bayesian), easier than other competing products.

Cons

Since it is click-and-drag, some features are not as flexible as other competitors. Yet, I think this is a great product covering most popular statistical techniques.

Reasons for Switching to Stata

STATA is more comprehensive.

Benjamin from Angkor Research and Consulting Ltd.

Stata is a very strong analytical tool. I keep learning about it each time I use it!

Excellent software which makes analysis easy to conduct, and easy to replicate. A bit expensive so non-experienced analysts may prefer other free or less expensive tools. I really enjoy learning everyday about new Stata functions and tools and I am actually thinking in starting online Stata Corp courses to get a proper and well-structured training.

Pros

- Easy to share do-files. - Keep learning each time I use it. - Professional and well recognized in the research community. - Regular updates, add-ons and new versions released with features for always more convenient use. - Rigorous statistical/analytical tools, also very adjustable to one's needs. - Help section is very helpful.

Cons

Response from StataCorp

Replied November 2017

Thank you! We appreciate your feedback!

What’s not to like?

Fantastic!

Pros

If you have to analyze data for a living but do not necessarily want to code to run every single regression, then Stata is the way to go. Seriously, is there anything not to like about this software? Every version is better than the last. Stata makes even the most hard-core data analysis task and multi-level modeling seem like a walk in the park. Above all, there are tons of information available online on how to use the software. This information is available from Stata itself, independent statisticians, and students. What do I love about it most? Ease of use and functionality. I survived graduate school due to this tool alone.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike about this software. It just keeps on getting better. Thanks Stata!

Response from StataCorp

Replied March 2019

Thank you for your comments!

Steve from University Pompeu Fabra

Delighted

I use it almost every day to study many things. As a researcher in economy, it is my duty to try to find correlations between two variables to see if there is some kind of relation than can explain the behavior of the people in an economic context or the evolution of the economy, etc. This tool is fundamental in my PhD. Also, as a assistant professor of econometrics, I teach the students how to use this program, and I must say that some of them find it a little bit difficult to use. But through practise, the majority of them finally learn to use it properly.

Pros

Almost everything. Although it has minor bugs, the amount of things that this program allows you to do is so extensive that you can quickly forget the mistakes. From simple mathematic operations to big calculations of multiple variables and different types of graphs. Besides, it allows you to save the structure of your work so the next time you have to do the same or similar you don't need to start from scratch.

Cons

Since it is a program that works using commands that you write on the sheet, you need to take your time to remember all of them. It's not a very big trouble, but still, some people that may not have a very good memory can find this a problem.

Response from StataCorp

Replied November 2017

Your feedback is always appreciated!

SB from Washington State University

Practical and efficient statistical program

Stata is my favorite statiscal program to use, I would highly suggest this program for beginners.

Pros

Stata is the third statistical analysis software that I have used. It is really great for simple and complex problem solving. Depending on the size of the dataset everything I have done has processed fairly quickly. The help menu is amazing, there are always packages you can download if there is something you need to do that is not already included in the software. The coding is easy to learn, it’s very intuitive.

Cons

If you are running a multiple imputation then the software takes a very long time to run on a PC. Usually to get the imputation to run you would need a computer with an extremely fast processor. Also, I find it easier to use with a PC versus a Mac.

Reliable but unexciting

I was trained in Stata because it is the most commonly used statistical software in my field, but my field is becoming increasingly quantitative in orientation, and there is a corresponding increase in the availability of data. These changes in my field have led to many 'outgrowing' Stata and the top scholars in the field now use alternative softwares, which I had to learn after learning Stata and now use more regularly.

Pros

The interface is clean, minimal and streamlined. The software itself is extremely reliable and is great for your basic statistical functions, and basic mathematical calculations too. It is easy to learn (much easier than some other statistical softwares out there-by a wide margin!).

Cons

I know what you're thinking-- a statistical software isn't supposed to be 'exciting'. But lots are, especially when it comes to how you present and/or visualize statistics! Stata offers fairly limited options for how you display your data. Also, because Stata is not free or open-source, unlike rival softwares with growing popularity, it does not work with other softwares freely available online. Finally, there are limits on the size of the dataset that you can use.

Response from StataCorp

Replied March 2019

Stata Use for Behavioral Statistical Analysis

Overall it was a great tool for my behavioral statistics class and for the analyses I had to do for my dissertation.

Pros

I used stata for my behavioral statistics and program evaluation course in graduate school. I am not that great with statistics but this program was pretty straightforward and easy to understand and use. I used it to run regression analyses and validate measures.

Cons

It would sometimes crash and take time loading when using it through my older MAC computer. I sometimes had to start my analyses all over again.

Response from StataCorp

Replied October 2019

Thank you for your comments.

Nate from Texas State University

Incredibly powerful once you get past the learning curve

Stata is indispensable in my research work as an academic. I'm yet to find some functionality that I need that it does not offer.

Pros

Stata is an incredibly powerful tool. Most people will only ever scratch the surface of what it is capable of (myself included), but the good news is that means it almost certainly has the functionality that you need. I spent time using both SPSS and SAS prior to switching to STATA, and I've never regretted the switch. While the learning curve is steep, I found it to be less so than in those other tools. I love being able to easily search for and install additional functionality, and I love that there is an extremely robust wealth of tutorials and help guides found online.

Cons

Not cheap, and there is a steep learning curve. Also, reverse compatibility of data files is an issue when sharing between colleagues who may not be running the latest version (which, in my experience as an academic, is common given the steep price of upgrading).

Thomas from Econ Studios/Utah Legislature

STATA is the most user-friendly stats software on the market

The software is the best statistics software on the market. Easy to use and learn.

Pros

I use lots of different statistics and data visualization packages, and my go to software for advanced analytics is STATA. The software offers most any statistical procedure available, and when a procedure is unavailable, there is usually a user-written program to accomplish what I need to accomplish.

Cons

The biggest weakness of STATA is it's visualization capabilities and it's clunky output format. It takes some effort to make STATA graphs and regression output tables publication quality.

Response from StataCorp

Replied February 2018

Cynthia from UC Berkeely

Good for economics research but recently lagging behind

STATA was my first software I used to analyze data with Economics research so I have always used it as a default. However, as I have begun learning R, I have realized that R runs faster and works better with large datasets. Don't get me wrong, STATA is not bad, but I do think it has been lagging behind over time.

Pros

- Standard software that allows you to run statistical functions and data manipulations for research purposes - Reliable and easy to learn

Cons

- Does not work well with large data sets and often crashes - Expensive - Over time, it has not gone through many upgrades so the user interface looks old compared to its counterparts. The functionalities have also not gotten a lot of upgrades compared to competitors like R

Response from StataCorp

Replied February 2020

We appreciate your feedback.

Jane from University of Alabama

Great Statistical Package for Everyday Use

Overall, I really like Stata and I still plan to use it for the majority of my research.

Pros

I use this package pretty much every single day and for the majority of my research manuscripts. I'll do all of my data management and cleaning as well as my analyses in Stata. The syntax is fairly intuitive and the software is able to handle most advanced statistical techniques.

Cons

What I like least about the software is that there are certain types of categorical data analysis techniques that cannot be done in Stata.

Talha from Masood Textile mills

Industry: Textiles

Economatrix tools for data analysis.

its good for intermediate level analysis but advance analysis required a lot of advance tool to be established in stata.

Pros

Stata is good for regression and correlation analysis. We can analysis by and multi variable with random and fixed effect method.can detuct homoscedasticity and hetroscedasticity easily for deeply analysis.

Cons

Its complicated due to command process. a minor typing error may leads towards biased result. secondly its multicollionearity not deduct auto.

advance analysis

Powerful data management and analysis software

Stata has been a crucial part of any piece of econometric research or data visualization conducted. High quality and accepted for peer review. Generally helpful online fora. Worth it if you can afford it.

Pros

Powerful data management and statistical analysis tool. Great graphic generator. Good integration with other software.

Cons

High degree of difficulty in getting started. Course is recommended. Often unintuitive menu system and layout.

Satenik from University of Bielefeld

I use Stata for lots of projects and I like its functionality and practicality.

Pros

I use Stata in my most quantitative projects where the used data is small in size. It's always my go-in software when I need to fit a regression or deal with simple statistical analysis. Stata has both GUI and coding environments so It's super practical for users who do/don't like coding. Stata is cheaply priced compared with SAS, therefore it's mainly used for research rather than industry purposes.

Cons

First of all Stata is not workable with high dimensional data sets unless the RAM is big enough. Secondly, Stata community is not large, so finding appropriate pieces of advice can be challenging. And at last but not al least the software is priced higher, one can have the same results with Python or R which are free of charge.

Response from StataCorp

Replied April 2020

Thank you for your feedback! As for finding advice, have you looked into Statalist, The Stata Forum? A great place to discuss Stata and statistics. Free to register at https://www.statalist.org.

Jenée from Central Statistical Office

Suited for Research Analysis

I like to use Stata to produce data analysis and when you want to keep a log of all the steps you do to produce such data analysis

Pros

Stata is another statistical software that can be used for analysis when doing research papers and analysis for research at your work. It is used especially for large data handling and for research including surveys. I have used Stata both at my office as well as a student and it is great for handling large data files. When you are trained to use Stata it is very convenient to use. For instance, stata requires a lot of shortcuts and codes to be able to conduct the right tests. These shortcuts enable you to find the tests and data needed and it produces fast results when the right shortcuts and codes are used. It also keeps a log of all the codes used to produce given tests.

Cons

Stata even though it can handle large data files, it is not very user friendly. If you are familiar with the workings of stata it can be very easy to use, however when you are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of how it works it can take up a lot of time for you to work with the data in the software. If you do not put it the right prompt in the codes you will produce a lot of errors coming up in your log and it can be very frustrating.

High powered and user friendly

I use Stata regularly for data analysis in my graduate program. Compare to other statistical packages, I really like it because it is the best of both world's regarding usability and statistical power. It can run advanced analyses on very large data sets, but it is also easier to use than other completely code-based programs and languages. I also really like that it stores your codes and functions in a library which makes them very easy to use.

Pros

It is more powerful than some more basic data analysis softwares (eg SPSS, excel) but it is also much more user friendly that some of the more powerful ones that are completely programming/code-based.

Cons

It does take some time to understand how to navigate this software. It is certainly not quite as intuitive as Excel or more basic softwares, but the statistical power more than compensates for the slight learning curve. I also like how similar the design is to other softwares, which makes it easier to learn.

Response from StataCorp

Replied May 2019

We appreciate your comments.

Great product for regression analysis.

I am using this product both for my works and my master thesis. I have to perform so many regression analysis for my works and Stata is very helpful and reliable product for these.

Pros

Cons

It has a lot of problems between old and new versions of the product. You need to be very careful to carry your works from newest versions to old versions. Sometimes your code does not work.

Matheus from World Bank

Industry: International Trade and Development

Stata - a very complete statistical software

Stata main downside is that it works with only one data frame in its memory and is a paid software, having less material online than other free competitors.

Pros

Stata is very complete for the ones looking for general statistical analysis or econometrics. It has a large number o packages that integrate with most of the types of data and can produce very powerful statistical calculation.

Cons

Response from StataCorp

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your comments. Did you know, with Stata 16 you can now have multiple datasets in memory simultaneously? Read more about this new feature at https://www.stata.com/new-in-stata

Stata is a good choice for novice data analysts.

Since I started using Stata in 2018, It has been very using for analyzing data for my quantitative research papers. I have conducted the statistical analysis and hypothesis testing of at least 10 research papers.

Pros

The most I like about Stata is that I don't have to code in long lines as I used to do in other statistical softwares. It has interactive menu and you can select a statistical test from the interactive menu. It is also very quick: for example, if you want to plot predicted probabilities, you can just do it in a couple of seconds in Stata. Stata can also easily handle large data.

Cons

I have been using Stata for around 2 years, but have not encountered a major problem while using it. One slight issue I have faced is plotting marginal effects in one graph. perhaps, they could give us an instruction to plot marginal effects in a graph.

Great for Research Analysis

Stata is by far my favorite statistical tool. It’s like having hundreds of statistical tools at your fingertips. I have used SPSS which I found to be very good, but Stata by far exceeded my expectations. Stata is versatile and can be used by any organization.

Pros

Stata is great for analyzing large amounts of data for research and analytics purposes. It’s especially suited for quantitative research and analysis. We recently started using Stata at work and the results has been phenomenon. We conducted a survey with a sample size of 250 participants and using Stata, we were able to integrate data management, data analysis, data modelling, and graphical visualization using one single tool. Apart from work, I have also used Stata as a University student when conducting research and handling large data files. Once trained in Stata, it is very easy to comprehend and use.

Cons

While Stata is great for handling large amounts of data, it may be difficult to use if you are unfamiliar with how it works. This now becomes a very time-consuming process as you now have to learn the system. Also, this can lead to errors in the process and ultimately affect the result of the research. Because I was familiar with the ins and outs of how Stata works, it was quite simple and user friendly for me. However, many of my colleagues who were not familiar with the programme, had great difficulty in using it.

Response from StataCorp

Replied February 2020

Russell from City of Farmington, Utah

Statistically Speaking STATA is a Great Piece of Software!

Pros

STATA was a great program to use in my Political Science classes. We learned the program in a class and it was a huge help for the remainder of my time at University. STATA was great for plotting out demographics and helping to build a hypothesis for many research assignments done in my years at the University I attended. Some of the things that we learned to do with STATA was finding the 95% confidence interval and the r-value.

Cons

STATA wasn't the easiest software to pick up quickly, but it is possible. I think that the UI for STATA could be improved on. I found it difficult to convert and import certain files into data files into STATA. There were many times where you had to change some of the data formatting and then import it into STATA for it to work properly.

Benjamin from Ohio Department of Education

Syntax easy to learn

Overall, Stata has been a fantastic program that I have incorporated into my workflow to conduct statistical analysis. I have used it for many University projects as well as in the professional world, and it is my reliable source for automated statistical analysis as I use it often for OLS regression. It's interface and programming language are incredibly easy to learn and use, and it consistently delivers exactly what I need regardless of the project. I would highly recommend using this software if you're a newbie to statistical programming and need a cheap, yet powerful tool to provide your company with analysis for decision-making.

Pros

Cons

I've run into no significant problems with Stata throughout almost 2 years of use.

Response from StataCorp

Replied April 2019

STATA

Pros

It is imperative for development economics research. There are both pros and cons to the grid like structure, but often it makes sense and STATA is generally user-friendly.

Cons

Being constricted by the structure of the software. Often I wish it was more free-form like MATLAB and R.

Useful and Easy Statistical Analysis for non programmers

Overall it is easy to use and great for basic statistical analysis

Pros

Stata is very simple to use for statistical analysis. There is a short learning curve, but it can be mastered quite quickly and be used ot produce powerful and elegant analyses. Simple things, like data manipulation, data visualization, and regression is easy to do! Great for people doing epidemiological or economic analyzes and quick to use.

Cons

It can be quite pricey for a one year license, the perpetual license, is a better deal. While it is useful for data visualization, it is not the most flexible at producing nice charts for a journal (nothing beats R in this regard). It also does not have a robust suite of bioinformatic tools, which limits its utility for some scientific fields.

Response from StataCorp

Replied February 2019

Thanks for the feedback!

Rutcher from Far Eastern University

Stata: Your enabling statistical software

With Stata, my team and I can easily examine data patterns. Stata is able to do more complex statistical processes as compared to basic statistical softwares I have came across as an economics professor. I love Stata!

Pros

As a data analyst and statistician, Stata became my best friend. It's literally what I have for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I am at work. Stata enables me to run data and make an analysis. It also allows me to come up with graphic visualizations I could use for reports and presentation.

Cons

I like everything about it! It does everything I need for efficient data analyst.

Response from StataCorp

Replied November 2019

Thank you for your comments!

Learning curve and very particular, but par for the course

Pros

STATA is undoubtedly hard to learn initially, especially for non-statisticians. I hold a nutrition degree and began using it for epidemiology data, and it took a while for me to really get a hang of it. Now that I do, it's an invaluable resource for any and all things data.

Cons

One rogue character can jam your code, and it can be hard to figure out what the problem is. That's where, really, only experience can dig you out.

Great tool for statistical analysis

I love using Stata. It has been a great experience as I conduct my research using large datasets. I definitely recommend for researchers who employ a quantitative approach.

Pros

Stata is great software for researchers. It is very convenient to conduct statistical analysis such as regressions and visualize the results. This software is widely used in academia, thus it is very easy to find tutorials and relevant resources generated by Stata and users.

Cons

It is not as intuitive as software like SPSS. It is definitely for advanced users who want to do more sophisticated analysis. Writing codes is almost necessary.

Jonathan from Columbia University

Fantastic Statistical Package

Stata is somehow more known among economists than among statisticians but I really don't see why it is - and why it should remain that way. Stata is comparable to SAS is many ways. It works in terms of commands as opposed to a 'real' programming/coding language. I have found Stata to be incredibly useful in terms of running regressions. If you are someone who likes to use multiple softwares (which I do, because each has their own strengths and can improve your workflow) - I like to view and try to understand my data on Excel since it's most visual, then clean it up, merge tables, etc in SAS, and finally run more sophisticated analysis on Stata

Pros

Great for statistical analysis, easy to use and learn commands

Cons

I wish they are more 'visual' about data presentations. For example, trying to read and clean up data can be rather annoying because interface for visual presentation is not so intuitive.

Great software for what it purposes

Pros

Great software for econometric (or statistical) analysis and simple database construction. It is also very easy to use, even for people not familiar with programming language.

Cons

The programming possibilities are not as versatile as the R language, for example. If you want to make more complex changes to a database, Stata may not be ideal.

Response from StataCorp

Replied May 2019

Thank you for your feedback.

hilary from Payserv Zimbabwe

For accurate results

Stata is overally the best tool for economists and researchers to modulate data so that it makes sense to become usable for reports and documents. However its not east to use, you have to be accurate in entering your data so that it makes sense.

Pros

its accurate and precise as well as reliable it generally runs on any windows machine it gives quality graphs that have a professional finish its the most recommended by professors or in the economics environment, use stata and you wont have to do your work twice. you do not need internet to use the software, once you install it successfully you are good to go. it is compatible with writing softwares like word and excel.

Cons

for me the software is absolutely not an easy one one has to get coaching to know how to use it. it does not cover all variables, you have to go to pro if you need those

Reasons for Choosing Stata

this was the most suitable for econometrics and research purpose

Sebastián from Upwork

One of the best tools for statistical analysis

Stata has made my work with statistics so much easy and fun, I could be more satisfied with it.

Pros

To be honest there's plenty of things that I really like about Stata, it has all the tools and statistical methods to work with your data and get the results you want without the help of any other tool or software.

Cons

Response from StataCorp

Replied August 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it!

Florencia from Torcuato Di Tella University

Good statistical software

I work with Stata. It's a very useful statistical software. But it is necessary to have a strong base.

Pros

It's not a simple software. People need to have a large statistical base and knowledge of the commands. But when u have both, it's very useful for work and study. It has a section where you can check the commands and what they are used for.

Cons

You never finish knowing all the commands and terms and always have to write them perfectly. Another thing is that if u use it very often, it's better to have the recent edition. The previous ones may have errors.

Jared M from Purdue University

The best statistical analysis software for quantitative sociologists

There is no better software for statistically analyzing large quantitative data sets. Perfect for a professional social scientist.

Pros

While I first learned to do statistical analyses in SPSS, STATA has far more versatility and advanced functionality. It can do basically anything a professional quantitative social scientist such as myself could need, and I am always discovering new features.

Cons

You have to learn the command codes to get started, which is basically like learning a programming language. I wish STATA had a better autofill system like R Studio.

Obi from Northern Illinois Univ.

Great statistical tool

I recommend Stata for those that are new to programming and statistical analysis.

Pros

I have used Stata for my econometric analysis for the past three years. I like Stata because it is easy to learn the codes because they are quite intuitive. Also, it has a point-and-click feature that can be used if you don't know the codes. Finally, you can save your codes and start at a later time.

Cons

Stata is not as robust as some programming languages like R programming. Also, it tends to be slow for some estimations.

Shirley from University

STATA has enabled me to conduct a variety of statistical tests in a professional and efficient way.

This software helped me analyze large amount of data and conduct statistical analysis very efficiently. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who is interested in cleaning and analyzing large amount of data.

Pros

1. Professional functionality and wide coverage of statistical methods and tools 2. Easy coding, it is also fast to find different tests by using your mouse to surf 3. Processing speed is fast compared to other statistical software such as SAS

Cons

1. Cost is still too high for average college students, licenses need to be renewed periodically 2. Not much tutorial is available for new users to get familiar with the functionality 3. It is sometimes difficult and tricky to connect to/switch to other statistical software for data cleaning and organization

Response from StataCorp

Replied September 2017

Thank you for your feedback! It is always appreciated. Have you seen our Youtube channel? We have many short instructional videos to assist you. https://www.youtube.com/user/statacorp

Corey from GSU

Powerful Statistical Analysis Software

Stata is an extremely powerful statistical analysis software that can get the job done.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is that there hasn't been an instance where I was limited by the software itself, but rather by my own lack of knowledge. That is, everything that I need to be able to do, the software can do (which is saying a lot for a stats software). That being said, most analyses and outputs are easily done and various tutorials exist online.

Cons

My least favorite aspect of this software was the learning curve. Obviously, this is something that can be overcome, though, and is a slight cost compared to a large benefit.

Response from StataCorp

Replied November 2018

Cory from The Behavioral Health Workforce Research Center

A Powerhouse of Statistical Analysis, but Not for the Faint of Heart

Pros

Whatever you need to do with data, Stata can do it. If it can't do it natively, then there's guaranteed to be a work-around tool available that can be uploaded to the program in seconds. The program comes in several packages, depending on how much data you plan on crunching. With enough time learning its syntax, analysts can turn Stata into their most powerful ally.

Cons

Stata is not a simple program to master. While certain basic functions are simple enough to pick up and use within a couple minutes, getting a more complete understanding of this program will take a while. The Help function build into Stata will help getting syntax right, but for actually completing some complex functions, the internet will be your best friend. Stata also comes with a price-tag suitable for its capability, now offered as a subscription.