What are Stata users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Stata software through verified user reviews

• icon"Moreover, the support is great: being a very famous software, you can benefit from the support included in the product and from the tons of users."
  • icon"Since, I have different gadgets; it is a great addition that it can be used with my Mac and my Windows. The price is pretty affordable if you are looking for an easy to use analytical system."
  • icon"Stata also has a very dedicated user community, which translates to extreme ease of getting help when we get stuck."
  • icon"Data visualizatikn without plugins and extra addins is completely awful. Basically some weird looking shapes on the plot area."
  • icon"Stata can be very difficult to master and I think for many of the things that can be done here, I prefer to use Python for them."
  • icon"This now becomes a very time-consuming process as you now have to learn the system. Also, this can lead to errors in the process and ultimately affect the result of the research."

Browse all Stata Reviews

• Have you used Stata and would like to share your experience with others?

Rahat

Industry: Research

Excellent for econometric analysis.

There are some things that Stata does extremely well - the statistics and econometrics in particular. And it does these things reliably and fast, with a good support network. If you're willing to pay for it, performance is even better - using up to 64 cores. But for more general purpose statistical work, R is not only free, but better (even though it is more buggy).

Pros

This is statistical programming software that is excellent for canned econometric procedures. Reliable and fast, with a huge library of procedures built in, and an even bigger user-contributed library. Online support through the statalist forum is also amazing. It also has a matrix programming language (Mata). The graphics capabilities are also easy to use and very high quality. Has a lot of related features like heatmaps, producing production-quality regression tables, etc.

Cons

This software is expensive. You're paying for something that is reliable, tried and true, with a great support network. But there are other free options, such as R. Furthermore, while this is excellent for canned statistical and econometric procedures, the programming language itself is not anywhere near as developed as something like R. For example, work with text etc is out of the picture. It is quite un-intuitive for someone coming with a programming background, and has weird quirks - such as only being able to keep on dataset in memory at a time. These issues mean that achieving what could be achieved in 3 lines of code in another language, might take 100s in Stata.

Mohammed

one stop shop for all your data analysis needs

As we began consulting on national-scale projects with massive datasets and sophisticated data analysis and reporting needs, it was only normal that we migrate from the equally efficient but less technical alternatives we were using prior. And the great wealth of freely accessible online resources and communities has been the most essential differentiator that separates Stata from other options.

Pros

Stata provides a comprehensive package of functions that allows us to manage and analyze project research data very efficiently. Particularly with purely statistical functions. Stata also has a very dedicated user community, which translates to extreme ease of getting help when we get stuck.

Cons

Learning to use Stata was very challenging for me, as someone coming from the significantly less technical alternatives I had been using to that point. I also think product licensing can be improved to make it easier for smaller teams to subscribe at relatively lower costs.

Reasons for choosing Stata

Stata had a bigger and much more supportive user community, as well as more readily accessible local and online resources.

Reasons for switching to Stata

We needed a more powerful tool to handle the bigger weights of work we had started taking on.

Response from StataCorp

Thank you for your feedback!

Replied July 2021

Rafael

Acceptable statistical analysis and inference tool.

Although it is not the software that I normally use, especially due to the deficiencies in its graphical presentation of results, I use it frequently to compare the results it produces, against the results obtained with other software, both commercial and self-developed. This has allowed me, in many cases, to validate the results obtained.

Pros

Price, that although it is not cheap, if it is competitive with respect to other softwares of similar characteristics. It allows me ample freedom to customize the way of presenting the results obtained, which in general is not the best. The after-sales service is good, with regular updates and an excellent help section.

Cons

Talking with my students, the cost is accessible to people like me, but it is not for the average student, especially when the licenses must be renewed periodically. If there is something to criticize the program is the way of presenting the data, where there is a lot of improvement field, since the outputs produced by default are of limited quality and presentation, especially if you want to enter a publication. The error code messages are not very useful in order to solve the error.

The best and easiest statistical analysis package

STATA gives you simple and accurate analytics of the impored data set, UI is similiar to SPSS a well known platform for all other analytic works

Pros

Simple yet strong to handle big data set, data mining and data manipulation, data analytics, and graphical representation. Simple UI, faster language and simplest data importing features make them standalone from other platforms.

Cons

Language is bit different than others, so switching from others is a difficult task for users.

Reasons for switching to Stata

STATA i more suitable for big data set handling and representing a good miner

Stata is the best.

I have found Stata to be capable of doing 99% of the things I need a stats program to do, and it does them quickly, efficiently, and without much work on my part. Most issues I have run into with Stata are user-generated, and quickly solved by referencing Stata's extensive documentation or its very strong Stata discussion community. That said, it was a bit intimidating at first, being that it's mainly command-driven rather than menu-driven. This creates a slight issue when trying to bring coworkers who haven't used Stata before into the fold.

Pros

I enjoy the interface -- maybe just because I'm used to it. Still, the flexibility of being able to type something into the command line ad hoc rather than writing it into a syntax file when I just want to see what a command is going to do with out "committing" is nice. The general structure of how Stata presents data and elements of the data within the GUI, specifically the ability to see basically everything in one main window, tends to make my life a lot easier.

Cons

It's kind of ugly. The output especially is pretty bad, even using Stata markup log files. I find that colleagues who do not use Stata are a bit off-put by output I send them in plain-text log files, compared to fancier tables/web reports easily generated in SPSS. Even though my workplace is currently paying for it, I am still not a fan of Stata's pricing structure.

Reasons for choosing Stata

I have been using Stata for years now -- I switched from SPSS to Stata during my graduate program. There is a bit of a stats package prestige issue in academia, and for whatever reason Stata is a bit higher in the rankings than SPSS. That said -- the way a stats program handles various calculations, to me, only seems to matter with higher level analyses (let's say anything beyond regression). In these scenarios I have typically found that Stata handles them better overall than SPSS, including more options and modes of calculation. That said, there are more powerful packages out there depending on the specific analysis/need, such as MPlus for structural equations. That said, most of my work does not require high level statistics. My preference toward Stata really comes down to the fact that I like the scripting language and overall format of the program (look of the main window, and the actual process of "doing" statistics in the program). My prior familiarity with the Stata language also influenced my choice to use Stata. Perhaps most importantly, I find Stata to allow me to do whatever it is I'm trying to do quickly and efficiently, more so than other statistics packages.

Reasons for switching to Stata

Simply because I was given the option and I prefer Stata, having used both.

Response from StataCorp

Thanks for the feedback!

Replied October 2019

Xorla

Great for Academic Research and Mid level professional data work

Before Stata, we were using Excel for almost all of our data work.....mostly because it was free. Switching to Stata however cut down our manual processes drastically; reducing task times by up to 80%. The main issue we ever had was with the product licencing and product access for our team. The response time in resolving the issues weren't as prompt as we would have hoped.

Pros

The range of functionality in the software, the free training and help resources available online, the ease of creating reports from your work, etc.

Cons

1. The software interface was a bit intimidating for me as a beginner coming from Excel 2. the computer requirements for running the software were rather high, and the devices we had at the time couldn't quite run them smoothly so we had to replace most of them.

Reasons for switching to Stata

Not suited to the nature of work we had moved on to. The volume of work made was simply too much to execute productively with Excel.

Daren

God bless Stata

Pros

Stata is such a flexible stats tool. If the native features don’t work for you, someone has probably created something that will. All you have to do is use the “findit”command.

Cons

There is a learning curve, and I wonder if I could have learned it on my own as I learned it in grad school.

Reasons for switching to Stata

Stata is less expensive and offers more features and functionality.

Tigran

Review for Stata

Stata is a very good statistical software for people who are not familiar with coding, but are required to work with financial time series. It has all types of regressions is very comfortable to use. Also the last Stata update (Stata 16) supports Python, so you can write a Python code in Stata. This is a very comfortable for me as i am using both scrapping and financial time series analysis

Pros

First, Stata is super easy to use. (If you are not a programmer and coding is not your strongest skill, then Stata is a perfect match for you. You do not need to write a code in Stata in order to get the results. You can just use your mouse, find the right buttons, click them and get the results. Second, you can run basically all types of regressions in Stata. Third Stata is user friendly. It took you a while to get comfortable with it, but after 1-2 weeks of usage, you really start to love this statistical software

Cons

First of all it is price. Stata is very expensive and there are some softwares that let you to do almost the same things with the lower price or even free. Furthermore the graphics of Stata are not very beautiful, so I would never recommend you to use that graphs for your presentation

Adriel

Convenience and Computation - at a price

Pros

Stata gives much convenience to Econometrics and Statistical Analysis. The command syntax is easy to learn, the Stata manuals give much info on both theory and application, and the software gives so many offerings with respect to statistical methods.

Cons

Stata is pricey, and its features can be replicated in other software like Python or R. However, it stands that Stata has features not available anywhere else - GSEM modeling and even simple multinomial choice modeling are unavailable in other software without complications. Stata's convenience is worth the price if businesses are up to it.

Thien

February 2022

Good software for data analysis with great community support

Pros

In my field, Stata is like the common language so it's pretty much a fixed choice. The best thing about Stata is its user communities: I was almost always able to find answers to all of my econometrics questions on Statalist.

Cons

Stata is not the best for data preparation and data cleaning. I have a multi-core version and yet sometimes it still struggles with large datasets. It might just be my personal preferences, but I also don't use Stata that much for data visualization, for which I think there are better tools.

Andra

Good for academic data analysis

Overall, Stata is a very powerful platform to analyze data, especially when the project requires manipulating the data into new formats or performing matching, etc. Where it falls slightly short compared to other programs is that it does not allow for multiple datasets to be open at the same time, and it can crash, but this is fixed with diligent saving of do files, and the multiple datasets issue is not really a problem unless doing projects that require a large number of models with variables from different sets.

Pros

I am a PhD student that uses a combination of Stata and R for data analysis for academic papers. I like that Stata allows for manipulation of data in ways that are quite intuitive and straight-forward, and it allows one to manage datasets with a very large number of observations. Stata is also particularly good at allowing for the transformation of data from one format to another (for example, from long to wide) which allows for matching and subsequent easier manipulation.

Cons

My least favorite part about Stata is that it does not allow one to have multiple datasets open at the same time, like other programs do. Also, in my experience, one has to save the do-file they're working on very frequently because it is not rare for Stata to crash. But, with that knowledge, it's not really an issue to save often once you're used to it.

Response from StataCorp

Thank you for your feedback! With Stata 16, you can now have multiple datasets in memory. Read more about it at https://www.stata.com/new-in-stata/multiple-datasets-in-memory.

Replied May 2020

Christopher

A great software for a great analyst.

Pros

It is an important tool for a data analyst like me, it is simply spectacular the tools that all the software has to work with, from a regression analysis to a time series, it is simply graphics that I and the people I work with really appreciate because most of the reports look good when we use this software.

Cons

The big problem I would see is the technical support, most of the answers to the problems are computer generated and most of the doubts are not solved, it is frustrating the fact that your problems have no solution and you have to go elsewhere to try to solve them. The other problem is that it is a tool for which you have to pay an annual or monthly subscription if you want to use it, it is not that it restricts some tools or not, it just does not let you use any of the tools that this software has.

Agni

Stata for learning Econometrics

I would say that having worked with stata using different datasets have improved my econometrics understanding. It is a great choice for research.

Pros

Stata is a statistical analysis software which is fairly easy to use. I believe It is the 2nd best software (after R) for learning econometrics. It has both coding and drop down interfaces. Easy to learn and there are ample of notes on internet which can be used in the learning process. Fast and powerful enough to run econometric models (even runs tobit model, which R can not do. R returns infinite SE many times). Since it is a paid software, the results it provides are reliable and that is why it is widely used by econometricians for their research. Since most of the economists use stata, it has a network externality, i.e. people can understand the research methodology by going over stata codes.

Cons

The reason I think it is the 2nd best is that it is not cheap. Also, it offers different licenses. The basic license costs 200 usd (approx). But it can work with only 2048 variables. For mor variables, you have to buy stata SE, which can work with 32,767 variables. Since most of the advanced public datasets has more than 2048 variables, it is difficult to manage with IC. So, they basically force you to buy SE. They should increase the number of variables to at least 10000 for the IC version.

Response from StataCorp

Thank you for your comments.

Replied September 2018

Industry: International Affairs

Incredibly power big data analysis system that, though difficult to master, provides big results

-I was able to run trends for my college thesis on domestic and international terrorism growth and attacks. By using stata, I could create cross-time data sets to demonstrate trends in terrorism incidents from my collegiate database. -I also used this system extensively in an advanced statistics class where we ran risk analysis profiles for various companies, looking for inconsistencies between anticipated growth trends and actual trends. We were able to run statistical tests to determine likelihood of certain events and easily determine the margins of error. We analyzed vehicular risk information, health risk information across different states, trends in international fishing companies, etc. -The system is extremely powerful and can give the user strong evidence through analysis.

Pros

I used STATA SE, which is the large database version for an advanced statistics class extensively in college. As long as your computer has enough memory, STATA can take in vast quantities of data and very quickly provide complex graphs, will perform a variety of modifications for plotting a wide variety of regressions, analyze data from surveys, and will takes a variety of data inputs to use for the processing. STATA can analyze data sets across time, save your progress while you are working, sort and clean data, create dummy variables, and export your results. STATA is a fantastic program for research.

Cons

Coding the requested commands takes fairly extensive experience and practice. It usually takes upwards of 40 to 50 hours to master without any prior experience in STATA. Performing basic commands is a simple process with a guide, but interpreting the results can be difficult without significant experience with statistics.

Response from StataCorp

We appreciate the review. Always like hearing from our users!

Fan Xuan

Click and drag possible for most analyses.

Pros

Unlike other competitors, STATA is used by many economists and economic researchers. It allows click-and-drag for most complicated statistical analysis (such as Multilevel models, Bayesian), easier than other competing products.

Cons

Since it is click-and-drag, some features are not as flexible as other competitors. Yet, I think this is a great product covering most popular statistical techniques.

Reasons for switching to Stata

STATA is more comprehensive.

Swaty

Easy statistical analysis

Excellent product! I like the help feature as well. Everything is explained in the documents provided in help tool

Pros

I like overall every feature of this software. It has made my work easier, especially regression analysis.

Cons

Update is installed easily but sometime it take long time to update and create error in analyses. Else I like it!

Ease of use

Benjamin

Stata is a very strong analytical tool. I keep learning about it each time I use it!

Excellent software which makes analysis easy to conduct, and easy to replicate. A bit expensive so non-experienced analysts may prefer other free or less expensive tools. I really enjoy learning everyday about new Stata functions and tools and I am actually thinking in starting online Stata Corp courses to get a proper and well-structured training.

Pros

- Easy to share do-files. - Keep learning each time I use it. - Professional and well recognized in the research community. - Regular updates, add-ons and new versions released with features for always more convenient use. - Rigorous statistical/analytical tools, also very adjustable to one's needs. - Help section is very helpful.

Cons

- Lack of free online courses available to improve even faster. - Cumbersome tabulations export from Stata to MS Excel for example. - Still expensive, but indeed worth the money.

Response from StataCorp

Thank you! We appreciate your feedback!

What’s not to like?

Fantastic!

Pros

If you have to analyze data for a living but do not necessarily want to code to run every single regression, then Stata is the way to go. Seriously, is there anything not to like about this software? Every version is better than the last. Stata makes even the most hard-core data analysis task and multi-level modeling seem like a walk in the park. Above all, there are tons of information available online on how to use the software. This information is available from Stata itself, independent statisticians, and students. What do I love about it most? Ease of use and functionality. I survived graduate school due to this tool alone.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike about this software. It just keeps on getting better. Thanks Stata!

Response from StataCorp

Thank you for your comments!

Replied March 2019

Qamar

Stata for regression, Correlation and F Model to analyzed data

Its good for Capacity, demand and forecasting analysis.I forecast differnt monetory events by using regression analysis with multi variables.

Pros

Stata having very user friendly interface.its shows 100% accurate result in regression and correlation analysis.Data can be import from excel and word which save a lot of time.Error term impact can be classified easily by applying error correction method.

Cons

Its costly, should be free upto certain level of data analysis so that students can easily approach.second there are some constraints while analysing cross sectional data.Minor typing error while comanding will leads towards differnt results.

Steve

Delighted

I use it almost every day to study many things. As a researcher in economy, it is my duty to try to find correlations between two variables to see if there is some kind of relation than can explain the behavior of the people in an economic context or the evolution of the economy, etc. This tool is fundamental in my PhD. Also, as a assistant professor of econometrics, I teach the students how to use this program, and I must say that some of them find it a little bit difficult to use. But through practise, the majority of them finally learn to use it properly.

Pros

Almost everything. Although it has minor bugs, the amount of things that this program allows you to do is so extensive that you can quickly forget the mistakes. From simple mathematic operations to big calculations of multiple variables and different types of graphs. Besides, it allows you to save the structure of your work so the next time you have to do the same or similar you don't need to start from scratch.

Cons

Since it is a program that works using commands that you write on the sheet, you need to take your time to remember all of them. It's not a very big trouble, but still, some people that may not have a very good memory can find this a problem.

Response from StataCorp

Your feedback is always appreciated!

SB

Practical and efficient statistical program

Stata is my favorite statiscal program to use, I would highly suggest this program for beginners.

Pros

Stata is the third statistical analysis software that I have used. It is really great for simple and complex problem solving. Depending on the size of the dataset everything I have done has processed fairly quickly. The help menu is amazing, there are always packages you can download if there is something you need to do that is not already included in the software. The coding is easy to learn, it’s very intuitive.

Cons

If you are running a multiple imputation then the software takes a very long time to run on a PC. Usually to get the imputation to run you would need a computer with an extremely fast processor. Also, I find it easier to use with a PC versus a Mac.

Reliable but unexciting

I was trained in Stata because it is the most commonly used statistical software in my field, but my field is becoming increasingly quantitative in orientation, and there is a corresponding increase in the availability of data. These changes in my field have led to many 'outgrowing' Stata and the top scholars in the field now use alternative softwares, which I had to learn after learning Stata and now use more regularly.

Pros

The interface is clean, minimal and streamlined. The software itself is extremely reliable and is great for your basic statistical functions, and basic mathematical calculations too. It is easy to learn (much easier than some other statistical softwares out there-by a wide margin!).

Cons

I know what you're thinking-- a statistical software isn't supposed to be 'exciting'. But lots are, especially when it comes to how you present and/or visualize statistics! Stata offers fairly limited options for how you display your data. Also, because Stata is not free or open-source, unlike rival softwares with growing popularity, it does not work with other softwares freely available online. Finally, there are limits on the size of the dataset that you can use.

Response from StataCorp

Thank you for your feedback!

Replied March 2019

Alphonce

Stata Review

I have been using stata for data management and data analysis for more than three years. I get all the information I need from raw data through the use of stata. Stata has made me serve the company's client with alot of ease and all the results have been appreciated by the company's clients.

Pros

I did not understand why my boss insisted on the use of Stata in his company until I started using it myself. Stata has been my best software for data management and analysis. Doing my work on do-file make it very easy to save my codes for future reference and use. Stata codes are short and easy to remember making my work easy.

Cons

One thing I dislike about stata is the way it outputs graphs and charts. Most of the graphs are not appealing to the eye.

Reasons for switching to Stata

SPSS is equally a good software for data management and analysis but stata has features that make it very easy to use which makes it user friendly. It is very easy to code in stata and the do-file makes it very easy to keep saving your work.

Stata Use for Behavioral Statistical Analysis

Overall it was a great tool for my behavioral statistics class and for the analyses I had to do for my dissertation.

Pros

I used stata for my behavioral statistics and program evaluation course in graduate school. I am not that great with statistics but this program was pretty straightforward and easy to understand and use. I used it to run regression analyses and validate measures.

Cons

It would sometimes crash and take time loading when using it through my older MAC computer. I sometimes had to start my analyses all over again.

IBM SPSS Statistics

Response from StataCorp

Thank you for your comments.

Replied October 2019

Nate

Incredibly powerful once you get past the learning curve

Stata is indispensable in my research work as an academic. I'm yet to find some functionality that I need that it does not offer.

Pros

Stata is an incredibly powerful tool. Most people will only ever scratch the surface of what it is capable of (myself included), but the good news is that means it almost certainly has the functionality that you need. I spent time using both SPSS and SAS prior to switching to STATA, and I've never regretted the switch. While the learning curve is steep, I found it to be less so than in those other tools. I love being able to easily search for and install additional functionality, and I love that there is an extremely robust wealth of tutorials and help guides found online.

Cons

Not cheap, and there is a steep learning curve. Also, reverse compatibility of data files is an issue when sharing between colleagues who may not be running the latest version (which, in my experience as an academic, is common given the steep price of upgrading).

Stata