Visio

Visio Reviews

RATING:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"I used it to make diagrams for my research and I was quite happy with the dedicated features to create diagrams of your choice with ease."
  • icon"How easy is to made a flow chart or a diagram in a modern way. Is really easy to use and have a good integration with other programs."
  • icon"I have used this software almost 6 years and found very useful in drafting/drawing anything you would like to. It is super easy to use and the features and tools are exceptional."
  • icon"I always struggle with arrows connecting two shapes. It is unpredictable where the arrow snaps to as is can be random at times which makes it difficult to snap in the exact place you need it to."
  • icon"I was unable to move parts of the flow diagram without distorting the entire diagram. I was able to learn with few trials and errors."
  • icon"I hate how it is so hard to move thing around, resize thing and overall the manipulation of the software."

Have you used Visio and would like to share your experience with others?

All Visio Reviews

1-25 of 2,488 Reviews

Sawan

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

October 2022

VISO still a great diagram creation tool

Vijay

Visualization Tool for Brainstorming Ideas/ Technical Discussions

Pros

Excellent platform used for Project Start and POC's. We are using Visio for translate our discussions in systematic form. Visualize our ideas into mind maps, create relations, plans, hierarchies, etc. It has good library of shapes, templates, icons, etc.

Cons

Subscription cost if little higher side, training material need improvement and usage scenarios. Third party integrations could be useful.

Juan Carlos

Industry: Farming

November 2022

Líder del mercado pero...

Es una herramienta recomendable, el estándar del mercado, aunque hay otras herramientas gratuitas bastante buenas no poseen las mismas funcionalidades ni catálogos.

Pros

Es una excelente herramienta, permite construir diagramas, organigramas, flujos, etc. Posee una gran gama de íconos y puedes agregar categorías propias de fabricantes. Es el líder del mercado y tiene muchos años de trayectoria.

Cons

Es un poco caro y esto encarece el paquete de office 365. Suele consumir muchos recursos.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Es el estándar del mercado, posee muchas funcionalidades y viene con el paquete de offcie (debes comprar una licencia)

Lauren

Not the easiest to use

Pros

When creating flow charts, org charts, etc., it is definitely better than PowerPoint or Word because it is specifically built for that kind of thing. It also shows you what symbols mean and what is best for the type of diagram you're making.

Cons

There are a lot of limitations and quirks that make Visio frustrating. It is extremely hard to get things to align - for example, it's extremely hard to make all the elements on the same horizontal plane line up all have the same center axis, and lines connecting them are so frequently misaligned with those before or after. It also takes a lot of work to get the fonts a readable size, and you have to reset them for each element because there isn't a way to change the default size. Overall, I find that it works for a quick and dirty working chart, but if you want a high-quality finished product that can be disseminated widely, you need to go with a different program or plan to dedicate a big chunk of time to work on it (20% of the time producing the necessary content, and then 80% of the time will be spend on trying to make is graphically pleasing).

Vincent

Industry: Security and Investigations

September 2022

A Superb Visualization Tool

Pros

Vibrant end to end workflow cahrting software taht aids in illustrating concepts and workflows to the specific targeted audience. The ability of teh software to organize subgroups differently and independently is a huge plus. I also love the fact that I can readily import diagrams and insert them in other documents hustle free.

Cons

While it is almost perfect, there is a need to develop Visio for Android to allow for a more seamless working experience when I am off my laptop and on my tablet during travels.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Visio was definitely the cheaper option with a more comprehensive solution, and since we were already on the O365 plan, we chose to go this route.

October 2022

Helpful workflow and diagram management tool by Microsoft

MS Visio is a perfect software for you if you already have a MS Office suite in your machine, and you are planning on creating a chart or diagram. The design is very reminiscent to the Microsoft interface so if you are creating a document in it, the outcome will be clean and uniform. Instead of creating charts and diagram using the Shapes feature in MS Word, MS Visio is a perfect way to go.

Pros

- Visio is readily available in MS Office suite nowadays so searching for another chart creating tool is not so needed now especially if you are working offline- Shapes and lines designs are clean and uniform to the MS Office design so you can easily incorporate the charts and diagrams in your documents- Available shape and line designs are diverse so whichever you need in your project, most likely is there

Cons

- The UX of MS Visio when creating charts/diagram is a little bit challenging since the drag-and-drop of the shapes and lines is not so smooth. I hope that Microsoft will optimize this just like how other similar online tools do it.

Luís

Industry: Textiles

October 2022

Diagramas, Infra estruturas, VSMs, ... Qualquer coisa!

Aprendi muito rápido a trabalhar com o programa, comecei por fluxos simples e VSMs pequenos e quando dei por mim consigo desejar layouts e esquemas de chão de fábrica de forma muito simples e intuitiva.

Pros

Tem uma curva de aprendizagem bastante rápida. O sistema de arrastar é tão simples e intuitivo que é possível fazer quase tudo com o software.

Cons

Devia vir incluído no office base e o preço é bastante alto para um programa em que apesar de ser com mais esforço é possível encontrar soluções online gratuitas para metade das funções

Abhishek

One of the Best Software for Flowcharts and Visualization

Overall Microsoft Visio was one of the best experience in the visualization of the flowcharts but for beginner it can be hectic at first but later it can be used easily

Pros

Visio is one of the best software for Flowcharts and Visualization as compared to the Microsft Powerpoint.Complex diagrams can be easily imported and exported from this software.Graphics can also be easily inserted in the charts

Cons

Microsoft Visio should have a Walkthroughs or More detailed documents so that for beginner it can be used easily without any hassle.

Isalanya

October 2022

Good tool for drawing of flow charts

Really helpful in drawing of diagrams most especially flow charts that help us lay down the structure of systems we build.

Pros

We majorly use visio for drawing of flow charts. Its a tool that really helps us present the structure of whatever we want to develop with all necessary features that people who we present to understand the diagrams.

Cons

The software is not one that i can say is easy to use. For someone to begin using it, one must first go through tutorials to learn how to use it.

Shankar

Industry: Animation

best of the best

Pros

1) ease of use2) best for document understanding and conversion of charts3) best infrastructure modelling4) collaboration

Cons

1) works slow offline2) user interface not soo good3) not good for multitasking4) enterprise linking no good

Adrián

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

November 2022

Making diagrams in teams has never been so easy

We use flowcharts a lot in my work and Visio made my life easier and the ability to quickly put together projects with my group.

Pros

The ease of making diagrams with the default templates of PERT, Azure, AWS, UML diagrams and others is what I value most about Visio. It's simple, fast and you can work as a team from different places and different devices.

Cons

What I like the least has not much to do with Visio, but rather with Microsoft Teams, which is not my favorite tool for working in teams.

Great tool to draw Flowcharts , Process flows and Network drawings!!

I'm using Visio for my daily work when I need to draw flowcharts, business process and more importantly for network drawings and rack drawings. Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort. GUI is very easy to use and templates cover most of the daily business requirements and even easy to find many templates online and use it. I'm using original stencils for all my drawings ( Network and Rack diagrams )which gives me perfect output. So overall I really recommend MS Visio...

Pros

Easier to learn and use it even for a beginner who never used Visio or any proper software. The richness of the templates in the library and even the possibility to download additional templates as per your requirement. Available many stencils with most of the brands (HP, Cisco, Dell, etc.) when using to draw network diagrams.

Cons

You need to pay separately for license costs even you have Office Professional or Office 365. Need to convert to PDF or another version to view it , if you don't have Visio to see it.

Reasons for choosing Visio

Trust over Microsoft products. An existing good relationship with Microsoft. Easiness of use and to learn. Better features and functionality.

Reasons for switching to Visio

Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. ( Mainly professional look output and easiness to use) Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort.

Bradley

April 2022

Visio - Your Business Process Flow Simplified

As I have become accustomed to using this application and learned the great benefits from using it, I would happily recommend this product to people who are able to invest time in learning how to use this app. Just be prepared for the software licensing if purchasing separately.

Pros

Visio is not difficult to administer and utilizes at all. It supports a wide range of graphs as well as graphics. It is well coordinated with other Microsoft items, to be specific office suite. We generally use it for making flow process diagrams that could be linked to our daily operations and core business functions. Free to trial for 30 days as well.

Cons

Unfortunately, every drawing object has its own individual properties and behaviors. It takes a bit of time getting to learn how to use the software effectively at first. The licensing costs are not up to standard as it is separate from the office suite which is purchased.

Reasons for choosing Visio

As Visio had to stand out images and add-on packs, it just made sense to get this product instead.

Jess

Industry: Oil & Energy

Scientist Viewpoint

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Reasons for switching to Visio

AutoCAD has more capabilities than I really needed and since I was not a design engineer it was overwhelming to work in. Note, I made the transition in 1998 when I was graduate school.

Graham

The standard for our charting needs

Within our agency environment Visio is the only application we trust to deliver all of our charting and diagramming requirements within the Business Analysis team. It allows non-creative users to deliver competent charts for reports without relying on the Design team. The app is highly dependable and has developed to support new use cases over the years under Microsoft's parentage.

Pros

- The standard application that allows charts to be authored and distributed across the agency and our clients - Flexibility to create any of our charting needs, from flow charts to sitemaps and hosting architecture diagrams - Simple interface to commence learning the capabilities - Ability to download additional stencils for many charting needs which aren't available out-of-the-box

Cons

- Can seem expensive for casual and intermittent users - User interface can seem alien for less-familiar users who are used to tools such as PowerPoint - If the requirement is for a specific task such as drawing up a website sitemap Visio is hugely complicated in comparison to specifically focussed apps

Reasons for choosing Visio

Familiar MS Office interface, integrated into Office 365 subscriptions.

Bryce

Simple, for better or for worse

Overall I love Visio. I use it for every single one of my projects alternating between using it and using AutoCAD. Both programs have their own benefits. But Visio is still useful and helpful to me in its own right.

Pros

Visio's greatest feature is that it is unbelievably easy to pick up and start working ona design with little to no experience. As an engineer I find it incredibly intuitive. The preset stencils that many companies in our industry use is very helpful as well.

Cons

On the flip side of its ease of use, the simplicity of the program takes away from the amount of tools and resources that are embedded in the program. There are features that other designer programs have that Visio is just not able to match because of its ease of use.

Reasons for switching to Visio

I switched to a new company that uses both visio and AutoCAD.

March 2022

Visio turned my daily diagraming an enjoyable journey

My overall experience with Visio is great. I can always count on it for different purposes, from a quick diagram for a presentation to high-detailed flow graphs of a project I'm working on.

Pros

Visio interface is clean and very easy to use. I appreciate these features in every piece of software I use. When it comes to diagraming, Visio is by far the best choice.

Cons

Sometimes it is required to turn on developer options to access some features that should be easily accessible in general option menu, such as editing margins.

Reasons for switching to Visio

Once I switched from Linux to Windows, I decided to give it a shot.

Bruno