All IDrive Reviews

Aaron

Financial Services, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

IDrive system backup/storage

It's been great. I really honestly have no complaints. I've been able to back up all of my existing cloud drives, my backup harddrives, my normal harddrive, my phone, literally everything fits onto this one cloud storage service and I still have room for more.

PROS

I can flash over my entire computer if I need to, my files are automatically kept up to date so I don't have to worry about losing anything ever, and I can put as many devices into my storage as I want. This means my phone, my laptop, my desktop, my work computer, all of it, all in one place. It's great.

CONS

I'm not really one to hold back on my opinion of things, but I honestly can't find anything I really dislike about this product. I mean... maybe the time it took for the initial backup? Took over 12 hours to backup my entire computer worth of about 90gigs of files. But I can't really complain about that even, that seems just about fair since I was using my computer the entire time without any disruption to my normal functionality or speed.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Highly rated product, with 5 TB storage space for 10$? I couldn't pass up checking it out.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Why wouldn't I? I can put everything from all 3 of these products into 1 place instead of having them scattered around multiple locations and trying to remember where I put what?

BHAVESH

Computer & Network Security, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2024

MOST AFFORDABLE CLOUD STORAGE

Overall experience was fabulous, It's affordable and value for money also the security is very Tight

PROS

Affordable Reliable Secured (zero knowledge Encryption)

CONS

UI could be Better This is only con which can be fixed over an update

Because idrive provided better value for money

Because idrive provided better value for money

Simon

Accounting, 1 employee

Horrible horrible

Utter waste of time. Horrible horrible

PROS

The endless concern that none of my files were protected

CONS

Zero customer support for 10 days. All I get from iDrive is marketing pitches. Had to call up to learn no support ticket had been assigned to my support requests so absent this call (time wasted) I would have never received any response. Going back to a far more expensive service which has the benefit of actually working

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Delayed problem resolution. Why am I required to meet a minimum for every damm field ?

Hi, sorry to hear about your experience so far with IDrive. Mind emailing us at publicrelations@idrive.com so we can look into this and see how we can help? Thank you

Replied May 2024

Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Easy to set up and use

PROS

Ease of use, comprehensive dashboard, ample storage at a reasonable price pay per storage not per desk. Lots of configuration options and customization. Very good live phone support.

CONS

Really don’t have any complaints at this time.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Cost structure. Able to backup multiple devices for one price.

Computer Networking, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Great product, Somple to use.

Great product and it just works. Set it up once and you are good to go!

PROS

Easy to use and it has a mobile client that I can reference files as/when needed

CONS

I do not like the way it displays files AND folders all together in the mobile client. I am used to seeing folders first, then files.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Cost and features. Carbonite's mobile client was slow.

Bryan

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2023

I really wanted to like it...

I really wanted to like IDrive and was really hoping this was the solution for me. I have since tried backing up 2TB of my laptop to both Google and Dropbox, and each of those providers have had serious issues in their context.

PROS

The option for them to ship me a drive in which I can backup directly and ship back was a really nice feature. Sadly, thats about the best I can say.

CONS

Backing up 2TB directly to an external hard drive is still going to take several hours. Well, for me it was 11 hours which is fine. So much better than the days it would have taken over the internet. I was expecting a smooth experience and was sad when it didnt happen. First, about 9 hours into the backup, I needed to reboot my laptop. I went into the IDrive app and paused the backup, then rebooted. After it starting back up, there was nothing to resume. It required me to start a new full backup. Resuming an existing backup is not rocket science. I contacted technical support, and they were responsive only to acknowledge that I needed to do another back up. So now on the second day, thats what I did. Per instructions, I went to eject the drive and my Mac was complaining that it was still be accessed my option was to force eject. So I decided to simply reboot again thinking a force eject is not a good path. Now, when it restarted, the drive came back and following the instructions again, I went to confirm the backup. To my surprise, it only listed two of the five folders. Yikes! Back to the support person and they told me to re-index the database using the idrive app. After another 9 hours the re-indexing finished an indeed the backup looked correct. I went to eject and again it was complaining the an app was still using the drive, leaving me with the option to force eject. I ran some command on the terminal and it showed that the IDriveDaemon was the culprit, so I did a kill -2 on it hoping for a clean shutdown, and then was able to eject. Just wow is all I can say. No warm and fuzzy, or confident feeling here. So I shipped the drive back and am waiting to be notified that I can resume backing up my laptop. Another feature that is very rudimentary and really questionable - I needed to share a file that was on the Cloud-Drive. IDrive uses a password to access the file, so yeah. I get to email the link and the password rather than an access control based on email of who I am sharing. So yeah, that is not ideal, especially after using Google Drive or even Dropbox.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Dropbox sucks because you can not access backed up files on Android, so then if you use filesync to sync these files, I was told by advanced support that there is a 300K file limit before degradation and issues pop up. Google Drive just simply lost the folder mapping and then wanted me to "merge" the folders at which point it just hung.

Jason

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2024

Easy, simple backup

PROS

I have been using Carbonite for years but felt their cost for adding another PC was very high. I shopped around and discovered iDrive. It's easier to use and install. The price is based on amount of data, not number of PCs. I really like the notifications the next morning after backup. Very happy so far.

CONS

The renewal price is much higher, which is typical, but I'd rather have a low overall price. Maybe they'll give an early renewal offer when it gets close.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

iDrive charges by data used while carbonite charges by PC/CPU. I have several with modest amounts of data I wanted to back up making iDrive the clear winner on price.

Jonas

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Good product - a few quirks

PROS

Easy to see that your files have been backed up

CONS

Continuous data protection does not work for external drives Scheduler is a bit confusing - external drives are selected under "files/folders" but they are have a separate schedule. Took a minute to understand

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Good review about iDrive. Crashplan made it hard to see if your backups were up to date

Jayprakash

Consumer Services, 51-200 employees

Honest opinion

PROS

It provides option of continuous incremental Backup. The earlier product i used did not have that feature.

CONS

My earlier product would be backing up as soon as a new file is created/saved/edited etc and also showed the status in "file explorer". In Idrive I find this is not happening.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

even though i tried multiple times, I was unable to pay to renew my annual subscription.

Jarrod

Hospitality, 2-10 employees

Use it or loose it!

Set it and forget it. Easy setup let it run overnight. Piece of mind!

PROS

Easy to setup, cheap and a huge piece of mind. I can't afford a loose critical tax info from a spilled coffee

CONS

I would like to share files with a phone. Not sure if I can do that with iDrive, I think I can, but haven't tried yet.

Cloud Service Backup can be used anywhere. Also File Sharing

Research, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Inexpensive storage with great basic functionality

Pretty good. Upload speeds are limited by my bandwidth and I would definitely use the mail-in Express service if the UK shipping charges were more reasonable, or they had a UK-based upload service. Backups have worked as expected and I hope never to have to use the recovery service for anything other than testing purposes.

PROS

The cost per terabyte is commendably low and was the initial reason I tested iDrive. All the basic functionality was available in the desktop app that I needed - scheduled backups of internal and external media. Initial testing showed that everything worked pretty much as expected 'out of the box' and that backups could be easily restored. I was sufficiently impressed to purchase the software. I've used it to backup about half a terabyte of data so far, with more to be uploaded. Scheduled backups run as expected, or as soon as the machine is turned on. They also run if the machine is sleeping - waking, backing up and sleeping again. During the testing phase I contacted customer support with a relatively trivial query (see comment below re timestamps) and got a prompt answer - that was reassuring.

CONS

All timings by the software use PST (Pacific Standard Time) and a US format timestamp. I'm on the other side of the world and it seems nonsensical for me to schedule a 9 am backup on the 10th of November (10/11/22) to find that the system records it as being made at 3 am on 11/10/22. If backups are daily and no more frequent this shouldn't be an issue, but it could well cause problems (or at least confusion) if backups were more frequent.I would like to see more granularity in the backup scheduling. For example - to set weekly backups for one external drive and daily backups for another. My understanding from the FAQ and help files, together with practical use of the system, is that all network/external drives are handled as a single backup set. The only way to omit one would be to leave it unplugged. In the same way, all local files/folders are handled as a single backup set, again with no granularity. The advantage of this approach is simplicity, the disadvantage is a lack of flexibility. For peace of mind, simplicity is better ... but I'd still like the option of more granularity.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Price and functions. Dropbox has too many and costs too much. Backblaze offers unlimited storage but cost more. I don't have unlimited data and the rate-limiting step was always going to be the upload speeds.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I've used Dropbox for many years for my research team, with a 10 Tb business account and a 2 Tb personal account. The software was getting less and less easy to use as additional (and - to me - unwanted) functions were added and the desktop client was intrusive and a memory hog. The cost of the storage was also high. With an educational discount I'm paying about one third what I was paying for Dropbox.

Computer & Network Security, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2024

An absoloute must have

Having used the product for a few weeks its hard to find much fault with it. The cloud back is very important and after the initial backup its very fast. The continuous data protection is also very important along with the full backup options. Very pleased with the service so far.

PROS

Simple to use Good value for money No Throttling Advanced features available The Mobile app is very good Can manage own security keys

CONS

Only some mild concern on the data cap but it meets my needs.

Reason for choosing IDrive

It came more highly recommended and I know plenty of individuals who use it for SOHO type businesses. So I already had some good feedback to go with. I also heard a review of the product on local radio tech segment. It was the top and only choice that suited all our needs

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I never liked how this software integrated into the explorer shell often causing issues with windows. The software doesn't seem to be updated regularly and is quite expensive although they do offer unlimited data but the fine print explains this is capped via throttling over a certain limit.

Gary

Consumer Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Good price for cloud backup and intuitive interface.

I was a little concerned because their introductory price seemed too good to be true… but the service is great and the current annual fee at renewal seems very reasonable.

PROS

I am paranoid about having everything backed up with redundancies. I save everything in a digital format— all of my old family photos have been scanned high res and fixed, family movies, legal and personal documents, my music, receipts, owner’s manuals, etc. The software interface is very intuitive and was easy to set up which folders I wanted backed up. The software seems to use less computer resources and CPU then other cloud service I have tried.

CONS

No complaints. The software is efficient and intuitive.

Reason for choosing IDrive

I like the software interface for iDrive better.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Over the years I have tried several cloud-based backups. I bought a “lifetime” license to Zoolz cold storage, which was horrible and a waste of money. Cold Storage is too slow to be functional when you need it. Zoolz notified me a while back that they were no longer honoring the lifetime plan I bought from them. They are scheduled to start charging me in Oct 2022, so I needed to find a replacement.

Amit

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2023

Best cloud drive in terms of performance and price.

Additionally, I would like to highlight the responsiveness of your customer support team. When I encountered a minor issue with the app, I reached out for assistance, and I was pleasantly surprised by the prompt and helpful response I received. The level of support provided demonstrates your commitment to ensuring customer satisfaction.

PROS

Dear [App Developer],I am writing to express my sincere appreciation for your outstanding app. I recently had the opportunity to use it, and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and functionality it offers. It has truly exceeded my expectations.First and foremost, I want to commend your app's intuitive user interface. The design is sleek, modern, and user-friendly, making it incredibly easy to navigate through its various features. I found myself quickly adapting to the app's layout and effortlessly accessing the different sections.Moreover, your app's performance is exceptional. It operates smoothly, without any noticeable lag or crashes. I appreciate the attention to detail and the optimization efforts that have been put into ensuring a seamless user experience. It is evident that your team has devoted significant time and effort into refining the app's performance.

CONS

Only con i feel is it prompt every time I delete files from backup.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Onedrive was apps were very expensive for me.

Utilities, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2023

Easy to use and non-intrusive

I just needed a reliable off-site backup of my files.

PROS

Easy to set up and specify which folders to back. There is no need to move all your data to a special folder as there is with OneDrive or DropBox. This is a big issue as it lengthens some already long paths I have. Both OneDrive and DropBox actually corrupted and lost my data, whereas iDrive hasn't done that. I get emails and alerts to tell me if a backup has failed for any reason.

CONS

No real problems found.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Because I had already had bad experiences with OneDrive which is why I moved to DropBox. DropBox was good for a while, but a recent change in architecture seems to have rendered what used to be a good product something of a disaster area.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Dropbox corrupted my files when I switch computer and I had to use my secondary backup (external hard drive) to recover them. I messaged DropBox but none of the suggestions allowed me to recover my files.

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2023

An essential app for Businesses

I'm very happy with iDrive. It has worked flawlessly when I have had issues with other services. It does it's core job very well.

PROS

Backup is something that is easy to forget to do. iDrive makes the process simple and works on both mac and windows computers. Once set up it works in the background and allows you to forget it again and carry on with just working, safe in the knowledge that if the worst happens your data and files are safe.

CONS

The user interface takes some getting use to. The initial backups also do take up a lot of system resources although you can throttle how much it uses.

Reason for choosing IDrive

iDrive appeared to be a good balance of features and cost.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Synology did not back up all my data and failed several times which lead to me losing confidence in it.

Jon

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2022

A great high-capacity online backup service.

My existing cloud backup, which came with a well known (brilliant) anti-virus provider, only gave me 70GB of backup, and said I couldn't increase that until my renewal was due, in 11 Months. By the time I had explained how useless that was to me, I had subscribed, downloaded, installed iDrive, and it was already carrying out its first back up.

PROS

It was easy to deploy the backup software onto multiple computers. On the restore screens, I can easily see each individual computer, from which I can chose which files or folders to restore. The first backup took all day, although it was about 250 GB. Now the first backup is complete, it just takes minutes at the end of each day to backup all my work.

CONS

Maybe nice to be able to give user created names to each computer, rather than the default computer name that each machine has. Eg "Mary's Laptop", "Bills Computer", "Server".

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I was told that I could not increase from 70GB until my current subscription had expired, which was in 11 Months. I explained that I could not wait 11 Months, and the phone was put down on me. To be honest, I just don't think they understood my simple request, but the bottom line was that they could not increase my storage. iDrive was up and running in a few mouse clocks, with loads more storage. (I like Norton by the way for Anti Virus, but their cloud backup was not for me).

Scott

Photography, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Great Back Up for Small Business

The service was easy to set up, inexpensive, and seems to be doing what I needed it to do. So I am happy.

PROS

I like the ease of set up and being able to back up multiple computers, drives and network-attached storage. This is why I switched. The other service I was using only allowed one computer.

CONS

So far I have not had any issues to report as cons.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Ease to set up and inexpensive. I only use cloud-based services as a back up to my servers and NAS devices.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I thought I had purchased a lifetime subscription but could not verify my purchase so they cut off my account. I shopped around and your service was highly rated and suggested as an alternative.