What are Checkfront users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Checkfront software through verified user reviews

• icon"Easy of use, nice backoffice interface, easy web integration, the best rental solution out there."
  • icon"There is a lot of flexibility in the this product, with many features. Developed by a small Canadian company, that is very responsive to questions and feature requests."
  • icon"Fantastic Customer Care and that is the best part of it. We have been successfully using it for over 4 years with almost none problems."
  • icon"Inability to handle multiple currencies. Limitation on number of photos."
  • icon"We were planning on adding more than 10 users and were asked to pay a large sum, yearly and in advance. At this point, we decided it was time to move on."
  • icon"It can be hard to navigate at first, and there is no phone support for the basic plan which can be tough if you are someone who prefers live conversation vs email."

Browse all Checkfront Reviews

• Have you used Checkfront and would like to share your experience with others?

Joel

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Han sido un gran apoyo en nuestro crecimiento.

Wow! ya ha sido muchos años de uso, al principio es difícil decidir porque ello impacta directamente las posibles ventas de tu negocio, pero sin duda alguna hice la mejor elección y es muy adaptable, quizá el más adaptable para quién busca hacer un sitio web de turismo.

Pros

Que es muy intuitivo, fácil implementación y adecuación.

Cons

Si tuviera un punto débil sería que no es multimoneda, pero esto es un problema en todas las otras ofertas, es más un tema legal bancario que de ellos como desarrolladores de software, estaría genial tener precios en pesos, dólares o cualquier otra divisa sin tener una cuenta diferente por divisa.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Las mejores funciones y flexibilidad, cero comisión por venta.

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

No sirve Bokun y no me gusta que me cobren comisión por venta, además no creo que sea inteligente darle la data de mis clientes y productos a TripAdvisor.

Response from Checkfront

Hi Joel, Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate it :) As for Multi-Currency, you are correct this is something that requires a lot of legal review and the right connections internationally with banking and taxes. However, we do have a way to display a different currency and charge in your system currency. Which is a step in that direction. If you would like to learn more about that feature, please reach out to our Support team, or our knowledge base.

Nick

Checkfront review by Cairns Holiday Homes

Overall, it's a terrific system. Discovering how good it is takes time and frustration. Going from manual pricing to online quoting taught me that the human brain can do things so much more easily than an automated system which has its limits. It took me a while to figure out what I could do and could not do in the pricing possibilities that I could offer. Having said that, the Checkfront system is pretty damn impressive in what it can do but a slog to find out the limitations.

Pros

The invoicing and notification system is excellent. It allows for a sequence of events - the initial request and removal of item from inventory, the paying of a deposit and the sending out of a reminder for the balance. It has also allowed us to record bookings that come from another listing site. The notification system is good but , as with with all automatic sequences, you need to think carefully before setting a sequence in train because the same message notification might not be right for everyone. It takes a lot of thought to set up the generic sequence that will most often be used. However, it is very easy to make adjustments to the message before it goes out.

Cons

Checkfront may be used more for booking tours rather than holiday homes but it's flexibility allows for many different set-ups. Therein lies the problem with regard to the help pages. They are quite helpful with regard to what any particular feature is but most examples tend to be about booking tours rather than accommodation. I spent a lot of time working out what I could do and how I should do it, more or less by trial and error. In some ways that is a good thing because I learnt so much more about the system by the sheer repetition of trying so many ways to do something. However, it would have saved me a lot of time to have some real examples of how to set up and overcome particular problems. So far, I have only two irritations with the software. One is the mobile phone app which could be much improved but is not actually a bother because I really do not need to carry my office in my pocket. The other is the Inventory calendar. I wish I could highlight the row that I am working on because it is very easy to start making alterations to the wrong row. I also wish that I could highlight a period of time to add or remove a property from inventory. You can only do that one day at a time which is tedious and non-intuitive. There are other ways round this and perhaps there is a good programming reason for the limitation.

Mátyás

February 2022

Long-time user, and a happy one.

We are a sightseeing tour operator company and we have been using Checkfront late 2018. We have explored other options thoroughly and this is still the one we like the most after several years.

Pros

After years of use, my favorite thing about Checkfront is the helpful support team. They always provide detailed, competent and helpful answers.

Cons

Our only real issue is that they seem to be falling behind on channel integration (especially OTA's) compared to other reservation systems. But the functionality and usability of existing features is very good.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Overall cost is way lower than any other system we've explored that has this kind of functionality that can integrate into our operations smoothly, without having to make uncomfortable compromises.

Price, functionality

Response from Checkfront

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review! I agree, our Support team really is outstanding :) Additionally, thank you for your feedback on our OTA's. We know that this is something our Product team is aware of and will be looking to improve once we strengthen our foundations further.

Olivia

July 2022

Useful tool but has some flaws we have yet to resolve

It has been a useful tool but requires extensive backend work to function and meet the requirements we have.

Pros

Optics and user experience is good. It appears clear and easy to get pricing and availability.

Cons

Functionality to set different price categories but not have these completely integrated within the calendar. For example, reserving a room on a specific date under a specific category does not remove the room from the calendar for the other categories but shows as available as the SKU is different.

Response from Checkfront

Hi Olivia, Thanks for this feedback. I'm curious about your comment around setting different price categories and would love to learn more. If you have time, could you drop us a note about this? I'm very interested in learning more about this use case. Cheers!

Replied July 2022

Jessica

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Had high hopes:( Hoping it will turn around...They will do it, I KNOW IT!

Now is the time for private, and I would guestimate that you're at least 6-months away, if not more, from you guys nailing that. Perhaps your software is much more comprehensive? A photoshop, undiscovered? A Linkedin, now FB rival? IDK. I can only find little bugs that make zero sense (on both sides). A mandatory forced parameter can never be one, and it must be less than zero, or it's NOT enforceable. I have an extensive list for your guys if I can find the time. Great people, GREAT value, guys! I just sincerely wasn't about to pay a setup fee due to the complexities of my business. I'm a HUGE what-if person, and those variables are not there yet.

Pros

The sales folks have been incredible! Very patient, helpful, and lovely.

Cons

You guys are on the right track, but I think that your growth will possibly hurt you. I've been watching your Company for many years and finally convinced one of my customers to switch over from Rezdy. The integration has not been easy, and I've not slept for days, challenged with the tiniest minor bugs that I can't believe no one hasn't mentioned? I hate to say it, but I miss Rezdy. They have not changed much in at least 10-years+. What was so illogical with their software now is not so bad now. They also amped it up a notch. I also miss calling you guys up and working through a problem, impossible to get through, just in between the old and the new. Bad timing, I think?

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

As mentioned, years ago, I was just so grateful to get through to someone and excited for you guys!

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

Hated that they did updates on the weekend in Australia, with ZERO support when things went sideways. Their new costs are not so bad, to be honest.

Sue

FRUSTRATING !!

It was a good system to get me started in my business but it doesn't offer me the flexibility i need. It was easy to set up. Easy to navigate.

Pros

A relatively simple system to use and easy to navigate. The layout is good on the calendar pager and the reports offer valuable information.

Cons

I find the system very inflexible to my needs, eg. Can not offer Room only and Rooms with breakfast from the same inventory stock. There are no error messages when you are clearly not setting things up correctly. Eg, Setting up an event, you have to go to the help page all the time to ensure you are doing it right. Pop ups with helpful tips would be better & time saving. Item Event Rules/rule sets are too complicated and open to user error, the software doesn't make it user friendly, there are too many pages to refer to. The software allows you to enter dates that overlap other events, this should not be allowed, its frustrating when setting up seasonal prices. The system is too time consuming and requires manual input when it should be cross checking dates and pop up an alert if incorrect, quite often the event doesn't work....Frustrating! Having to import every booking that goes through a channel manager and unlock it first ! Time consuming ! Why doesn't it go into the calendar automatically? Unable to change the price on the initial page when making a new booking, this has to be amended afterwards.....frustrating that you can not enter it right first time ! Unable to set up more than one policy. This is so inflexible when you are selling services and accommodation which have different policies for bookings. I have been waiting 6months for you to fix my inventory errors and minimum stay rules.. Poor communication and no urgency whilst I lose money & bookings.

Andy

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

June 2022

Brilliant System

Implementing Checkfront has radically improved the efficiency and professionalism of our business, enhancing the customer experience and saving us hundreds of hours.

Pros

Online booking, automated inventory control, powerful and flexible customer communications, plug-ins to enable integration with a wide range of other systems

Cons

Can’t think of any meaningful cons or problems with the software

Flexibility Feature range Online payments Automated communications Pricing

Rebecca

Absolutely love Checkfront

When we first started out we took reservations in a paper book....yes you read correctly, on paper...knowing there had to be a better way I researched different software to use. Since then we have been so happy with Checkfront. The support from their team has been amazing. From setting us up to answering my everyday questions, their team is always friendly and helpful. I highly recommend them to anyone.

Pros

We have been with check front for 7 years now and we love everything about it. It's simple to use, training new employees to use it is easy, the booking process just flows nicely so it makes sense. Customers also compliment us on how simple and straightforward it is to use. I also feel like they are there when I need them to help me out with any issues I'm having.

Cons

I would like to use the waivers section but it didn't quite work for our set up. There's a couple of little things that would be nice to be able to do with the calendar etc. I also which the app was a bit more useful. I usually always send suggestions in when I come across something that I think would be beneficial for everyone.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Checkfront is similar to us, it's a small company focused on taking care of its employees and gives a damn about the world. I get calls constantly from so many other companies trying to get us to switch but I just don't see why I would when we are so happy. I know there are different options but we also like that fact that we pay a once a year subscription fee and then our customers don't have extra random "fees" when they book - I dislike hidden fees like that when I book so I don't want my customers to experience that!

Response from Checkfront

Thank you for such kind words! We too value having a small local team, much like you, Rebecca! Please keep sending in those suggestions! We truly do appreciate them :)

Bruce

Fantastic product

Instant reservations showing availability

Pros

Online reservations showing availability

Cons

Don't have any issues at all with the product works great for us.

Price

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

Old product was not instant availability, had to be entered by staff member

Response from Checkfront

We are so happy to hear that we have been able to help you and your business! Thank you for your review :)

Eugene

February 2022

Simple to use for our customers and has increased online sales

Great experience and great customer service. Very helpful when we need trouble shooting.

Pros

The interface is very easy to use and straight forward for our customers. This software has definitely increased and enhanced our online booking procedures.

Cons

The system is very robust and there is definitely a bit of a learning curve on the back end, but once you figure it out it's easier to use.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Checkfront was recommended by another business in our similar industry.

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

There were some really good things with Party Center as well, but was missing some specific features for our particular business.

Response from Checkfront

Hi Eugene! Thank you for your review! You are right, we are quite robust and definitely require a learning curve as you've mentioned! We have started to implement more in-app tutorials for new accounts to hopefully help with this in the future! All the best,

Mátyás

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great value and functionality, excellent support

Great, would 100% recommend to any business operating some type of activity, tour, rental etc.

Pros

Checkfront is an easy-to-use reservation system that can be customized very well to fit the needs of almost any type of activity or experience provider. It's excellent value comes from the fact that it only has a monthly fee and no extra per booking or per user etc which can literally save you thousands of Euros per year compared to other products that often have lesser or similar functionality. The support team is also worth mentioning, they are always quick and friendly and looking to provide good solutions.

Cons

The number of OTA integrations could be higher and feature requests could be handled more quickly but other than that it's excellent.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Better functionality, better value, and some other potential good choices were simply not available in our region.

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

Checkfront has better functionality AND saved us thousands of Euros per year that we paid to Regiondo for percentage-based fees after bookings that came in through our very own website.

Response from Checkfront

Hi Mátyás! We appreciate your review and the time you took to submit it :) We are so glad that we are an easy-to-use system for you. Your feedback on OTA's and other requests will be shared with our teams. Thank you for choosing Checkfront!

Chalets

wonderful software!

It is the first sofware that is really easy to use and understand. I know IQWare, Crystal, Otello, FileMaker and another one I don't remember but this one is the best for our needs.

Pros

The help support online. Chat with somebody to help you with a problem is really really good.

Cons

Some issues for dates that we don't want check-in and check-out but finally was fixed lately.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

The user friendly software, booking online possible and the fees.

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

It was not possible for our clients to book online

Response from Checkfront

Hi there, Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate the time you took for this :) We are happy to hear that our Support team has been helpful and that you were able to move forward with your Check-in/out dates. Thank you, again for choosing Checkfront :)

Great Booking Software

We run a glamping business and have been using Checkfront for 3 years and it works great. The initial set up was a bit of a slog as we have an complex booking system, but it all works well. The team at CheckFront is always very responsive and helpful - with written suggestions and video walk-throughs for set up issues.

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility in the this product, with many features. Developed by a small Canadian company, that is very responsive to questions and feature requests. Very supportive with assistance for technical issues in my set up.

Cons

With all the features and parameters to set up, there is lots of things that can get out of lineament. Sometimes I will spend hours trying to puzzle out why something that I have set up does not work as it should. The team at CheckFront is always great is helping me get it fixed.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Canadian company that could handle everything that we needed it to do - including tent bookings, classes, activities, and special events (plus our currency and taxes). Lots of report and connections to major software tools.

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

Wix is not set up to track the kinds of information that we needed to track in our booking system.

Sue

April 2022

Checkfront delivers

very good

Pros

Ease of loading product, and customer support

Cons

More customisation,and widget rendering

technology offering and value

Leanne

Great for resorts / campgrounds

The customer service is what keeps me with Checkfront, as well as the ease of use for guests to book online.

Pros

I like how customizable it is and how easy to use it is.

Cons

Sometimes figuring out the tiers and different price points can be confusing, but customer service is great.

Response from Checkfront

Hi Leanne! Thank you for the review :) We really appreciate it.

Souheil

Easy software for Booking Tourist Activities / invoice

- I decided to say with checkfront, because their team is very helpful, there is a community and a forum to get inspired, to get help if you are a beginner in the tourism industry

Pros

+ All in one place : Booking / customers / invoices + You can customize every detail of the Activity you are selling to your customers + The support team listens to your needs

Cons

- During covid, the hibernation plan means that your website goes offline

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Because the sales person [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] took the time to understand my needs, and anwser all my question. After my free trial, Checkfront is making me win a lot of time with invoicing and booking management

Response from Checkfront

Hi Souheil, We appreciate your honest review of Checkfront. I am glad to hear you are liking it. Your feedback on the Hibernation will be shared with our teams. Thank you again for choosing Checkfront!

Capt Rob

My love affair with Checkfront

I like the expert advise and help. Your support staff needs to be congratulated.

Pros

if Checkfront was not available for me, I would be drowning in a sea of paperwork. For example, I started using the documentations app two years ago. It has allowed us to develop a social distancing booking system, that is touchless and COVID approved. After an initial setup and learning process, our customer response has been very positive because we have eliminated the paperwork "Hassel" at the boarding gate. It has cut our boarding time in half because all the insurance required documentation is now done at their home or office. It has eliminated filing of the paperwork. It has made documentation look up easier.

Cons

I have been with Checkfront for almost 10 years. They have eliminate many of my concerns. However, currently my discount codes do not work like they use to. When I use multiple discounts on the same invoice. For example, I might have 3 or 4 rental booking on the same invoice, representing 3 to 4 days of rental for that week. We offer a 25% discount on weekday rentals and a 10% rental on weekends. I should be able to have different discount rates for each booking by using the "per item" discount code. Unfortunately, it does not work that way. The total is the same but the software prorates the discount on all items on the invoice. This is very confusing to my customer.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

It was suggested to me by my IT friend. I always wondered why it was call Checkfront. I thought a more marketable name would have been better...Reservations or Bookings.

Response from Checkfront

Captain Rob! What an outstanding and honest review! We are so happy to hear that we have taken away from all the paper work, and helped during the COVID transition. We really appreciate your feedback on our Discounts and will be sharing this. Thank you again for choosing Checkfront :)

Brenda

Very responsive customer care

Very positive experience with Checkfront - nothing seems to be a problem, always supportive response from Support staff. Really very happy with product and overall support.

Pros

The software has many really useful functions e.g. waivers; group waivers; integration with Xero. The developements in terms of the calendar and manifest are great improvements but little tweaks in layout would declutter the view. Some of the details functionality is brilliant - often not easy to find how to do something but just ask the Support folks and they usually have a very neat solution to offer. The customer support is fantastic, so responsive and are very wiling to take a suggestion/issue back to the developers.

Cons

Find the Inventory calendar a bit cluttered and the mobile app could be done with a little refinement in terms of daily manifest. Integration with Xero needs a little refinement - would be excellent if an admin could choose which Payment Methods are integrated, at the moment every transaction creates a Xero invoice which is not always appropriate (e.g. gift vouchers, cash, face-to-face card payments) so there can be quite a bit of voiding in Xero to correct position. The Partner Accounts are too restrictive for the way we work with our partners so we had to provide User accounts to provide the functionality.

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

Price and pricing structure - fixed sum is essential for us. User accounts set-up by product

Reasons for switching to Checkfront

Their pricing structure changed which really did not suit us - charging per booking and also customer booking fee, was absolutely extortionate. Also Rezdy did not provider User settings so that users only had access to certain products, this was becoming a bit issue and added to the cost as we needed multiple subscriptions.

Lucy

Great System & Exceptional Service for my Rental Business

That said considering Checkfront is relatively inexpensive for what they offer and it's not a custom built program I can't really fault them. Some people complain about various needs not being met but unless you want to pay big dollars for a custom package you can't expect to have all your wish list met. I'm in the processes of resolving this by having my developer use Checkfront's API to integrate into my website. One of the things we're doing is adding Delivery and Collection as a separate step in the booking process. We've been very happy with Checkfront. I can't even imagine trying to run my business without them.

Pros

I have used Checkfront for five years and the service has always been outstanding. They always reply very quickly to my emails. I've phoned them a couple of times but really there's no need to phone as their email response is so good. It also means you have a record of what's discussed. Having an inventory based rental system that allows my customers to book online and keep stock updated keeps me ahead of the competition. I love the customised notifications that are specific to the items booked. The free add-ons are amazing. Being able to link to my accounting software makes life simple.

Cons

You have to keep a very close eye on products being returned. If something isn't returned it's very easy for it to "fall off the system" if it's not noticed on the due date. It would be good to be able to scan items back in or at the very least for the item to remain on the desktop until it's been checked off. I understand Checkfront are working on this. The only other concern for us has been that delivery and collection has to be booked as an actual item and not offered at Checkout. Our customers are confused by this no matter how many prompts we add. I believe it's because customers are used to an online retails experience where it is common practice for Delivery to offered after items have been selected and you are at the final stages before payment.

Judi

Checkfront Booking Engine

Using Check-front as my online booking engine. Great tech support. Tech Support is friendly, knowledgeable, and usually very quick to reply.

Pros

The software is great value for the money. Best out there in my opinion. Great telephone software support during the set-up/onboarding. Ongoing support via email is extremely good, with tech support promptly replying with step-by-step detailed explanations and screen videos of how to address the issues.

Cons

1. For vacation rental managements, this software in it's current version is very awkward & time consuming to update rates, descriptions, etc if the property falls in more than one category, such as a being 4 bedroom, ski-in/ski-out, base area location, private hot tub & pet friendly. For each category, rates need to be added for that property each time a rate change or new set of dates is added. It seems to be that there should be a main listing that communicates with each of the categories the property is listed under. In the initial set-up, an "alias" can be used, but once the property is up, new rates, fees, taxes, etc have to be added to the property in each category it is listed under. Takes way too much time to do things this way. Needs to be an option to "link" the same property throughout each category it is listed in so rate adjustments can be done with just one entry. 2. Wish they had ongoing telephone support though the email support works well 3. Wish Checkfront had calendar connections with other vacation rental sites such as VRBO, HomeAway, AirBnB, Expedia, Booking.com and so one so once a reservation is made on one site, all the other booking calendars updated at the same time.

Melissa

Haliburton Forest Review on Checkfront

Overall, we have been extremely satisfied and find that checkfront has more benefits than cons, but it would be nice if the cons could be improved. We have only been using checkfront for a little over a year and couldn't ask for an easier program to use. It has definitely improved how we manage our reservations and are constantly learning about new features and how others work.

Pros

This is very user friendly, both on the back end/set up side as well as the user side. The reservation system we used to use is extremely limited. We love that we can create a reservation and easily make changes. Our old system was not as user friendly and we would have to delete a reservation and re-create it even if we wanted to something as simple as change a date.

Cons

The website version is awesome, but the mobile app is not as user friendly as we would like and we are not thrilled with the reports. For the app, we are unable to check booking documents or update the reservations. That's great that we can check them in, but if they need to add a feature or change their dates at time of check in, we have to switch over to the web version, then switch back for payment. Which is another issue. We have connected checkfront with square, and a lot of the payments don't register with checkfront, so we have to first take the payment, and then record the payment. Very frustrating. We already had a few issues with the checkfront reports, which we have been able to work around, but now that we have connected to square, we are finding it extremely difficult to balance and now our bookkeeper has to refer to multiple reports, which of course does not help. One huge thing that would help is that our items in checkfront be able to communicate with square directly. Right now they convert over and say 'Custom Amount'. In one square report the booking id is referenced, but not others. Very, very frustrating. But if an item, like snowmobile passes, could actually transfer over as snowmobile passes, that would be huge. There are a few other issues, but those are the main setbacks we have currently.

Dylan

Checkfront Has Changed The Game

Overall our experience with Checkfront has been hugely positive. The support provided by the team throughout the customisation process was always fast, easy to understand and tailor made for me.

Pros

After operating our business for years without an online, pre-paid bookings system we had no idea of the positive impact Checkfront would have, not just for our business but for our lives. Red Star Music is a recording studio and rehearsal spaces and there was initial concern that introducing this type of system would 'scare away', deter or frustrate existing customer but to our surprise, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. It has been a win/win situation for everyone. Pros for customers: * No longer have to rely on getting in touch with us to book and check availability. * No longer have to request invoices. * Checkfront with the addition of digital access to the spaces means we are able to be open 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Pros for us: * Protection from financial losses due to people not showing up for bookings, cancelling last minute and refusing to pay. With Checkfront's pre-paid system and our compulsory terms of agreement, the responsibility is placed entirely on the customers to organise themselves. * Protection from human error during the bookings process (on our part). * We are now open 24hrs/7 days a week and no longer are required to have onsite staff members collecting payment whenever there are bookings. * We have more time to focus on other aspects of the business and our lives rather than having to be on call around the clock. Our phones are very quiet these days and we have more bookings than ever.

Cons

Understanding that our needs are fairly complicated when it comes to a customised bookings system, there are really only a few very minor things: It'd be nice to be able to set a rule that a certain time slot booking can only be booked when another before it is in place. For example - we'd like to run a 2hr discount session from 9-11pm as a gap filler on week days but we only want customers to be able to book that session if a 5-9pm session is already booked so that we aren't blocking a potential 4hr 7-11pm, higher value session. Does that make sense? No biggie though! There are a couple of things with the mobile app however: 1. If I'm away and I want to check tomorrow's bookings on my phone to see whether I need to be there or not, I can open the app and see in the list of customers from earliest to latest (top to bottom), but I have to tap into each individual customer to see what time they are actually booked, making it difficult for me to get and overall visual of how I'm going to organise the day, hire gear etc. 2. I often want to be able to contact customers when I'm away to give them instructions but there doesn't seem to be any way for me to access contact details, phone/email for the bookings in the mobile app. Being able to tap copy their phone numer and send a quick text would make life much easier.

Versatile, Cost-Effective Platform with Good Customer Support

Checkfront helped us migrate from a very inefficient reservations system (email and paper) to one that is largely automated and this has vastly improved our customer experience, saved us a lot of staff time, and given us better tools to manage and understand our business. As a small non-profit tour operator with tight margins, we are not only very happy with Checkfront's pricing structure, but also grateful that they offer a non-profit discount. In spite of a few limitations, overall we are very happy with Checkfront and have been using it for 3+ years.

Pros

Checkfront is very affordable relative to other tour booking platforms (they charge a flat annual fee rather than a percentage of sales - which I believe is the fair way to operate), and it works great for many purposes. There are lots of options for customization, and it is easy to learn how to configure and manage the platform using Checkfront's tutorials and documentation. There are lots of helpful integrations (Stripe, PayPal, Google Analytics, etc.) that are easy to set up. Checkfront support is always very responsive and helpful.

Cons

Checkfront is designed to work across many types of booking environments including hotels, hourly tours, daily tours, weekly tours, etc. Because these types of businesses have different needs, Checkfront balances those but, in my experience, isn't perfect for any one type of business. As a tour operator, sometimes we have needed to come up with workarounds to meet our specific needs or live with certain shortcomings. Checkfront support is always helpful, but if there is a feature that you need, the best you can do is submit a "feature request" and hope that enough other people request the same feature for development.

Anne

Easy-to-use booking software made in Canada

Pros

The software is easy to use for clients and staff alike. As a result, we spend less time answering emails and the phone as people book themselves in. I also love that the company is based in Canada, and that the team is very responsive and the software is constantly developed. There is an affordable option if you just wanted to get started with booking software that does not break the bank.

Cons

A few very specific things would be great to straighten out. For example, we offer 2 different overnight tours - the 2-day Seal Cove Adventure and the 3-day Cape Chignecto Adventure. We cannot run those tours parallel or overlapping - it is either one or the other -, so we set the availability to 0 by hand in the inventory the other tour every time an overnight tour gets booked. This way, however, we also have to block out the day before to ensure no overlapping tour gets booked even though in reality the date is available as the last day of a potential trip that starts earlier. It's not a huge impact, but we might loose a few bookings to this. Also, we cannot accept single bookings for tours where nobody else is booked on yet as we require a minimum of 2 guests for any tour to run. We have set the booking form (at least for the overnight tours) so that the field 'Adults' is automatically filled with the number 2. We do, however, accept single bookings if other people are booked on already, and we also would accept a pair of Adult/Child as a minimum. I wonder whether there is a way to streamline this.

Emanuel

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Checkfront is the revolution for small/medium businesses, with an outstanding Customer Service !

Great, because even if not perfect Checkfront helps you improve your business and has the great quality to listen to their customers trying to help everyone with their own demands! this is priceless!

Pros

The flexibility. You are in the condition to bend the software depending on your demand. And this is great! Another GREAT quality is not the software but relate to that and is the customer service. one of the best I even dealt with. every time you have a doubt they are responsive and always will help you at the best of their abilities to achieve your goal. is this an ENORMOUS quality!

Cons

It's not totally optimized for a business like ours that sells cruise, there are software that give you the possibility to have a graphic visual of the boat with all the cabins. but Checkfront is young and I'm sure that in the future these features will be implemented!

Reasons for choosing Checkfront

because for small businesses software like FareHarbour is absolutely over expensive.

Response from Checkfront

Hi Emanuel, thanks for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the flexibility that Checkfront provides and that it has been easy to use thus far. We'll be sure to pass on your feedback on the visual map booking option. Once again, thanks for choosing Checkfront :)

Checkfront