Gusto Reviews

4.67 / 5 (2,447) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 55 times in the last 30 days

(1,831)

1,831

• Pros

• "The interface was friendly and fun. Easy to hire and fire. The breakdown of taxes was easy to understand. "

• "I really enjoy this program, everything is easy to find and very user friendly."

• "fast and reliable service i am very pleased with them"

• Cons

• "Gusto can be bogged down at times, I’ve had slight issues with on boarding information getting lost but customer service has always been quick to respond and assist. "

• "The way the line items are fed into Xero/Quickbooks is a bit off sometimes. Other than that is has been great."

• "The only complaint our team had was the cost to use. Although it was more beneficial for our team to focus less on this, it did cut quite deeply into our expenses each month. "

Browse Gusto Reviews

Alicia from Bellatrix Law LLC

I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients

Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros

Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons

I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I’ve got experience with all of these payroll companies. I feel that Gusto is the most reliable and easiest to understand and use.

Sandy from Moxie Bookkeeping

User Friendly

Very good. We always recommend Gusto as one of the top payroll companies to use for our clients that are starting payroll for the first time.

Pros

I use Gusto for my clients as well as for our own company. I find it very user friendly, especially for my tech-phobic clients. I also like their tech support. They are easy to reach by phone, chat or email and the technicians are very patient.

Cons

The import mapping. This is the only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars. When the payroll is simple, the mapping is fine but for more complicated payrolls, the mapping is a nightmare. Also, that it imports to Xero as a bill. Clients find it really difficult to grasp how to work with this. In their mind payroll has already been "paid" so when they see it show up as an unpaid bill, they get confused or worried that their employees didn't get paid.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We give the pro's and con's to our clients and let them make their choice. Our company chose Gusto because we use Xero and they are partnered.

Bryan from Prohaska Consulting

Industry: Executive Office

Terrible customer service, average system, Predatory Lender

The world has caught up to Gusto. It is just a run of the mill self-service payroll firm. Comparing any self-service firm to a full-service firm, the self-service firm will win on cost, though that is about it. In addition to losing on Customer Service, the constant annoying sales pitches and calls regarding HR benefits as well as the firm charging for simple improvements, such as adding paid-for time tracking is a severe detriment. The fact that it has now morphed into a Payday Lend is the last straw for me. I do not trust Gusto with my firm's or employee's data and am extremely happy that I never moved any healthcare or other benefit systems to their control. I have been with the firm since our beginning, but will be moving on to another system as soon as possible.

Pros

This is one of the many common low-cost self-service payroll solutions. It allows you to pay your Employees and Contractors and handles virtually all of the taxes and processing of payments to the taxing authorities. The interface is on par with the many other UX/UI's in the industry. As is industry standard, Employees are emailed all end of year documents automatically. The company also offers access to two-day payroll processing.

Cons

Customer Service is terrible - an absolute nightmare. When mistakes are made by Gusto, they are hard, if not impossible to fix and/or get them to admit to. The firm has attempted (and mostly failed to my knowledge) to enter the higher margin HR platform and benefits fold. The firm has also just begun predatory lending at rates advertised as 1% which are actually as high as 45.63% (per their own fine print). The Customer Service in this area (from my limited exposure) provides misleading at best and false at worst information. This used to be a great firm, but there was an initial turning point where it began to focus more on marketing than the system, which then led to the constant sales calls for HR and other insurance services, which has led now, to Payday Lending. There had been an Intuit integration issue that seems to have finally been solved. Additionally, the firm has the same problem with missed payments and 941 misfilings that other full-service platforms have, however the customer service is severely lacking and resolutions take forever. The platform also can not handle an employee working in two states (more common in the North East). The cost for paying contractors is too high which limits the usefulness of the system overall - forcing a company to keep Employee Payroll, Contractor Payments, and expense reimbursements on separate systems. I have also received tax filings from another firm as their own CSR system combined two threads and had to speak to the a

Delene from Ostler Orthodontics

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP

We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros

We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons

The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

They had great reviews, they provided all of the options that we required and their pricing was fabulous!

MICHAEL from JONES COMMUNICATIONS

The best online payroll provider I have ever used

Pros

Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons

I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Price and Gusto's stronger reputation for customer service

Heather from AAH

Catches All

Having payroll done properly and also having insurance information right there is great. Service industry as a whole has no ins but I can give options that employees can get if they are interested on their own.

Pros

There is one thing that separates this from other payroll/HR...it catches everything. I don't have to offer ins but there is a lot of information availiable thru Gusto if I need it. However, child support orders also require insurance is availiable for the child. Servers job bounce and don't always mention court orders on the tax paper work. Gusto knows, Im not sure if it is specifically looked for because of an innovate idea that the child support order is for the child..per the law. Or the software properly scans the social and does the right thing. Gusto then provides the insurance options as well as reports job agency. As a divorced mom..I love this and everyone in in compliance.

Cons

Because of all the properly following the rules in court ordered garnishment for employees, I had a high turn over. Well more paperwork for me is the least? Ill take it. I now mention this little payroll feature at interview and thin it from there.

Nick from Modesti's Car Care Center

Gusto make payroll easy

As a small business in California it's difficult to keep pace with the changing payroll g laws. Gusto helped us solve this problem.

Pros

I like the ease of use and the ability to manage employee's payroll, W-2's, and benefits/deductions. I also like the onboarding feature which file the I-9 for new employees. Another nice feature is the birthday cards that the whole team can sign online.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't specifically track vacation time. It calls it paid time off or PTO. Paid vacation and paid time off are not the same.

Wonderfully functional Application

I'm only now using it as the free trial, but I will definitely be purchasing it as a normal day-to-day way to doom our peril fork blossom and company.

Pros

The ease of this it is absolutely amazing how quickly you can get all of your payroll issues solved, figured out. User friendly, especially for those of us who do not enjoy doing payroll!

Cons

I can honestly say there's not really anything yet that I found that I do not like about this app. It is very functional as I stated earlier and it seems like it's going to be a key point in our company.

Jill from Jill Austin Accounting Services

Great payroll software

Gusto has done a great job and I have been very impressed with their proactive approach to this very unusual business climate we are currently in.

Pros

I have switched several clients from Quickbooks payroll to Gusto. Everyone has been completely satisfied with Gusto's service. I will continue to recommend Gusto to anyone who asks!

Cons

I have not found their reports to be as numerous and varied as some other payroll companies.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I like the company and the way it does business.

Very easy to use application that saves a lot of time.

Within the company, human resources use Gusto for all our payroll. Other employees often use it to view sick days, benefits, pay, and keep all of their personal information up to date. The possibility that all staff can manage their information through this platform, gains a lot of confidence in the employees of our firm.

Pros

The application is really useful, since it manages the personal information of employees efficiently and quickly. It has a beautiful interface that is very intuitive and easy to use. The configuration of the platform is simple and integrates very well with the Xero accounting software.

Cons

It would be very useful in the future if it becomes a multiplatform application (mobile, etc.). Additional services should be included within the application. The application is good, but wanting to have total control of it is costly.

Karen from Rational Acoustics LLC

Great Payroll Processing Platform for Small Businesses

Overall Gusto has been great for our company. We save time and money handling payroll in-house, as opposed to paying an outside service to do it for us. And we have peace of mind that Gusto is there to support us when/if we need it.

Pros

Gusto has been a great resource for us to handle our own payroll processing & HR management in-house. It is super easy to set up and manage and has a really intuitive user interface. Onboarding new employees is a snap, time-tracking is simple to manage for both employees and managers, and running payroll only takes us a few minutes twice a month. Having employees able to manage their own banking info and paycheck splits and W4s has saved our HR dept a ton of time and headaches. And we love having an online library of company forms and documents we can distribute to employees quickly and easily. Also, their customer support is amazing. We are signed up for the Conceriege level service and have a dedicated team of customer service people who are knowledgable and friendly and responsive and have helped us out with innumerable questions.

Cons

Moving from our previous payroll processor (ADP) to Gusto was easy, because we decided to do it at the beginning of a new fiscal year. The one issue we did experience was in setting up our company's Federal and State tax filing details. Gusto does not assist you with this, so we had to track down all of our company's employer account #s and UI tax rates and filing frequencies for the 3 different states where we have employees and manually enter it into Gusto. We ended up making a mistake on one state's filing frequency, which ended up costing us a bit of $$ in penalties. It would have been nice if Gusto had been able to assist us with this as part of the switch over from ADP. Also, Gusto does not offer benefits administration in our state (yet). Hopefully that will be coming soon, as it would be nice to handle payroll and benefits through one platform. And they could cut down on the number of "recommended" services from affiliated companies that pop up on the admin dashboard these days.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Price, ease of use and better customer reviews

Alex from eMDTec

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Lance from Pixels Down

Gusto has won me over for life.

Time sheets, paycheck stubs, tax documents for my employees are all available to them without any extra work needed by me. Gusto takes care of it al.

Pros

I love how easy it is for my employees to see their paycheck stubs, get their tax documents, and even do a early cash out option if they need a little extra money before payday. They have recently introduced time tracking, which solved another issue I had with keeping track of everyone's hours in another product.

Cons

I don't have many cons regarding Gusto. So far it has met all my needs flawlessly. The one con I would say is that the insurance process could be a little less confusing.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto has more features regarding paycheck stubs and they are adding new features all the time. Most other products seem to be stagnant.

Andrea from Phoenixintegrativemedicine

Payroll has become a breeze!

Overall, I would recommend Gusto since it is very easy to use and navigate, and they literally handle all aspects of payroll. In the last 5 years of using their service, I have had no problems submitting their forms to my accoutant, he is pleased with the access to their services as well!

Pros

I am not an accountant, nor did I take any business or accounting classes in college. Payroll was always a chore and a daunting task. Gusto has taken over all those aspects and provided an online way to check in on employees info/w2's, tax info at a glance, and even sends reminders when employees are due to be paid, who has been paid and who has not etc, it has made payroll so fun!

Cons

The customer service is great, but the response time on answers is longer than desired. I am used to dealing with online companies that respond to businesses right away, or even just answer one part of the problem and let me know they will get back to me on the rest of the problem with more in depth solutions.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use, reliability, and I trust them after using them for years and have not had problems or errors in payroll.

Pamela from Allen, Jane, & Co.

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros

Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons

Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"—the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense. Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company. Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero. I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...

Trevor from Inturact

Best platform for payroll, benefits & more

Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros

It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons

The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

Jack from Swartout Dental

Great service!

The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros

This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons

There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

The bare bones Gusto program gave great value for low cost. It is a plug and play system that requires little effort to run the payroll every other week.

Brad from Crisp

Industry: Restaurants

I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about

1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right. 2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business. 3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do.

Pros

It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm! I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Cons

I can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.

David from Solanimus Inc.

Industry: Computer Games

Former user, but returning soon because it just plain works

Using Gusto was smooth in terms of user interface and communication with customer support, beyond the issue I had with two payrolls primarily because I misunderstood a setting. I left Gusto for a competitor simply because of a unique deal, but have since decided to return to Gusto later this year.

Pros

Gusto just works, and the user interface is more intuitive than ADP's tools I had used before. The company also seems to be more aggressive than some competitors in integrating new services around the payroll management related to HR.

Cons

This feature has since been changed, and their user interface has changed since as well, so it should no longer be an issue: We had two separate payrolls that didn't pay out on time, and although they helped remedy the situation because of a setting issue, I was a bit disappointed that it was unclear to me what that setting described. At times, normally when competitors do sales, Gusto's pricing isn't as attractive for what is offered.

Simply the best

I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros

Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Square's Payroll interface is simple, but almost too simple, pulling reports was kind of a pain and difficult to integrate our accountant into.

Miriam from Mueller Bookkeeping

Want to hug Gusto

Pros

I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Cons

Some things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.

Makes Payroll and Admin Easy

Great they do really good integrations with zappier and all the major services that work well with it.

Pros

This makes payroll and administration of the backend of the business easy. Helps us stay up on the latest changes in employment issues and filing for our business and contractors.

Cons

It runs too easily in the background. If you don't stay ontop of logging back in time to time you might miss updates and changes. They do a good job of keeping you in the loop of what's going on.

Wil from Viridian Agency

Modern Day Payroll

Pros

Gusto is just on another level when it comes to payroll and personal information. To be able to access your pay, benefits, time off and view your 401K all from your account would be unheard of a couple of years back. I am able to easily go in and access all my info whenever I want without the hassle of approval or mailing anything which made moving for me stress-free. They're even creative with their fun facts of what you've been paid all year could have gotten you.

Cons

No negatives I can think of with Gusto other than the fact that I wish they existed in my life sooner. Then again I did come from a job where I need my paystubs mailed to me which was caveman technology to me.

Kalen from CLIMB Theatre

Industry: Performing Arts

All that glitters is not Gusto (but it's still worth more than its weight in gold)

I like software that works, and it's hard to know what's going to work the best these days. With a plethora of payroll services out there, it's noteworthy that Gusto has made a place for itself, and it's seemingly done so by keeping itself easy to use with an elegant interface - in other words, it works where it counts. The drawbacks I've experienced are then not so much the fault of Gusto but of the saturation of the market: the more employers that use a single platform, the more useful it becomes. That is, I appreciate being able to easily check up on my prior employment details at the click of a button, but only 2 companies I've worked with have used Gusto.

Pros

Gusto is frankly easy to use, provided your needs are fairly straightforward and simple. For a competitive monthly subscription price, employers can automate up to 4 separate payrolls and isolate between employees and independent contractors. As an employee, it's convenient to have your employment history all in one place for later reference.

Cons

While some payroll software offers more features integrating shift tracking, time sheets, and scheduling (WhenIWork being one of the more ambitious in this quality, even featuring a chat as an interface to switch shifts), Gusto is fairly plain - or we could say minimalist if we're being nice. It's either catering to the simplest needs, or to companies with very specific kinds of complexities, such as the advertised onboarding/termination automation and organizing of benefits. For many small businesses, however woefully to the employees, this is irrelevant.

Karla from Altitude Financial Services LLC

Super Payroll Solution for Small Businesses

This is my go-to solution for any client whose payroll we are involved with. We use it ourselves and highly recommend to small businesses. If you go through your accountant there is a discount on the subscription price. The subscription can be paid by the client or the accountant.

Pros

This is a cloud based solution with a subscription price that is less than the big payroll companies. I like that you can have employees "onboard" themselves by filling in their personal information and bank information for direct deposit. This increases accuracy and preserves the employee security. I also like that the business HAS to have the payroll tax payments withdrawn with the payroll submission thus enforcing compliance. Gusto does all the Payroll Tax Return fillings, you can log in and get them. There is no need to print or deliver paychecks, which saves money and time - employees can get their stubs and W-2 by download. It integrates with your accounting software for automated recording, another time saver that increases accuracy. Support is excellent, and they deal with any notices resulting from transactions on their watch. If payroll is the same each time you can set to autopay!

Cons

Some of my clients would like Gusto to submit garnishments or retirement payments, but that is not something they do.

SHEILA from Prime Building

Gusto? They didn't need my business any longer.

Had a good experience until we had to suspend payroll due to a lull in business (you keep getting billed whether you run payroll or not). The stipulation is you have to reactivate within the quarter if you want to continue using Gusto. Well, the end of the quarter fell on a Sunday and trying to reactivate first thing Monday morning did not work. You cannot reactivate your account for another year. Makes absolutely no sense that a few hours made that much of a difference. The were willing to lose a customer and let me walk away instead of reactivating the account.

Pros

Easy to use and navigate. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Reports are clear and concise.

Cons

Wait time for customer service is lengthy and usually requires a call back which they prompt for automatically or disconnect if the wait time is over 10 minutes. Monthly invoices are hard to find if you don't use the link provided in your email notification.

Pricing.

Cory from Camp Liberty

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

A Must Have!

Our small non-profit has loved being customers of Gusto!

Pros

We don't have to think about it! It lets us know when there are actions to take. We can set up our payments to our employees and even schedule sick days, vacation days, bonuses, raises, insurance, investment plans and so much more! It is awesome!

Cons

There is nothing that I have found that I can complain about. They have fantastic customer service and are able to help you quickly and effectively.

Noah from Colvin + Hallett

Industry: Law Practice

Noah's Review of Gusto

Overall Gusto is great. The process is streamlined, intuitive, and W-2s are generated quickly! At the end of the day, Gusto can save you a lot of money in regards to bookkeeping costs by hour. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I have not had to deal with customer service, so I cannot speak on that matter.

Pros

Best thing about Gusto: Employment taxes (941s). The fact that Gusto takes care of this is great, and can help companies avoid making accounting errors which can lead to steep penalties with the IRS. Another great thing about Gusto is their paystubs, very detailed and easy to read for employees. Lastly, on the user side, it is a very intuitive program to use.

Cons

Entering employee withholdings (parking, bus pass, etc.) can be a bit confusing. We have run into issues with over withholding using Gusto, but this can be avoided if you employ a bookkeeper with a fair amount of experience using the product, a bookkeeper new to the product may need to receive some training in regards to specific payroll withholdings (not including 941s, SSA, medicare).

Neha from Deloitte India (Offices of the US)

Awesome payroll support for small businesses.

Pros

Gusto is a perfect and easy to use payroll portal both for employer & employees. It has a self on boarding system, for employers to send new hires their offer letter and paper work through its portal. Employees can easily update their address, direct deposit info, withholding all in one place. Previous month’s pay stubs can also be accessed easily. Employees can easily load W2 directly into turbo tax through its website. One can also keep track on the taxes paid. Gusto also offers detailed description and helpful tips of required information to be inputted. Its editing process is also very simple & straightforward when any changes need to be made to employee info or business features.

Cons

Gusto seems overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Also there is no invoice function, so contractors cannot submit an invoice and have their managers approve it. A separate system for contractors for invoicing needs to be maintained. Also Direct Deposit should be little faster. Customer service is also not that good.

Gusto changed my world!!

Gusto saves me so much time and worry. I know that our benefits are managed correctly and that we are always in compliance. I also know that everything on the payroll side is taken care of and if there is an issue or mistake the super amazing customer support team is ready to help!

Pros

We love using Gusto for not only our payroll but they also manage all of our benefits. Gusto managing our benefits has been such a life saver! I don't have to think about being in compliance anymore I know that they are keeping everything up to date. I get reminders when it's time to run payroll, when new employees need to sign up for benefits and when we need to renew our benefits.

Cons

Gusto has wonderful customer support the only downside for me is that when you call in you are always talking to a new person, sometimes that can make it a little challenging to efficiently get the answer or help I'm looking for, but they will help until the job is done!

Liz from Access Confidential

Finally! A quick and easy resource for paychecks.

Pros

It is so hard to find a simple platform with a clean interface when it comes Payroll but Gusto has achieved that. I have used several different programs and Gusto is by far my favorite because of the ease of use. I also love the email they send on payday that says "Hooray! You got paid today." Gusto seems to know what the typical employee wants when they log into their payroll application - as soon as you sign in there is a big blue button that says "See your last paystub", super helpful and saves time! You can also easily access your PTO time, year to date statistics on your wages, taxes, net salary, hours worked, and other helpful statistics. On just a small fun note, their graphics on their website are adorable.

Cons

Honestly I do not have anything that I dislike about this software. It is incredibly simple and reliable.

June 2015

Nicole from Noggin IT

June 2015

Head of Business Improvmenent and HR

Pros

Support. They see every issue through as if you're the most important or the only client. They're thorough and they tolerate you if you're on a learning curve (we're an Australian business setting up our US operations and health etc benefits is a new and unnatural thing for a business to grapple with). The software is flawless and usability is perfect. We run our payroll in a few clicks, and that's because we don't choose autopilot. Used to run benefits thru Zenefits who made a lot of errors, and zenpayroll stepped in without hesitation or complaint and ran every correction. It's complete, not half cooked. It's how software and support should be done.

Cons

We are a global business, and things are done differently in other countries for payroll. For instance, we don't need to go thru the pain and inefficiently of supporting benefits in other countries. Plus there is different legislation and tax setups etc. I wish zenpayroll was configured to support payroll in other countries so companies like ours growing elsewhere could benefit from One-payroll without considering the bigger and clunkier vendors. If you're growing, most likely you're growing globally or planning to. Otherwise it's perfect.

Love Gusto

It is an engaging payroll software and we really enjoy using it.

Pros

The best part about Gusto is the simple layout, to the employee. It is fresh, fun and easy to navigate. There are animations and you can really store a ton of useful information on the employee page, including pay history, position information and tax info. Also, the bi-weekly pay email is fun and energizing.

Cons

The only issue I have ever encountered with Gusto is the way the paycheck renders when you click to view it. It often expands past the edge of the screen and makes it hard to view. Luckily, there are a few ways to review this information.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use, cost, better solution for a small business.

Daniel Shatzkes CEO from Gig Gear LLC

Industry: Music

Gusto makes payroll stupid easy

Gusto makes payroll incredibly easy, makes integrating with Quickbooks simple, and makes the entire payroll process very transparent. I can add bonuses or commissions to any employee for any payroll period and I get an easy breakdown of where all the money that is drawn out of my business account is going. Any time I've needed help or support Gusto has been fantastic either on the phone, via email or with Live Chat. I don't know how other payroll companies do things but I know that I love Gusto.

Pros

Taking care of payroll each month takes literally just seconds. My company is small, so maybe a larger company with a lot more employees might take a little longer. But probably no more than a couple of minutes. Plus, I love how Gusto gives an entire breakdown of what is being paid and to who so you can see exactly how much the employee gets and how much does to his/her taxes, and also how much in payroll taxes the company is paying.

Cons

The monthly price is the same regardless of whether or not you use a lot of the extra benefits and offerings. For example, Gusto offers a way to offer employees 401k benefits or health benefits. It would be nice if there were a slightly less expensive option for micro-businesses that don't necessarily make use of all those benefits.

valerie from emerald employment

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Gusto gets payroll done

So far gusto has been a good experience. The customer service has been really helpful at answering questions I have on the fly.

Pros

I like that all employees have access to their gusto accounts and can change their personal information and look at paystubs on their time instead of mine.

Cons

I do not like that when pay stubs and check are printed out they are not in any particular order. I would prefer them to be alphabetically. I also do not like that the pay roll menu does not allow to make multiple payrolls at one time. So if I run my direct deposit one day, when I run my checks, it is on a separate payroll as "offcycle"

cary from toyota

I think this is one of the best software programs if you have to do payroll and filing

Awesome software for keeping your payroll on point and it also allows employees, contractors etc etc to look at all their past payroll history any time they want. You can handle all kinds of situations with this software including notifications with money deposits, or if you need to turn in a time off notice you could do it through this software,

Pros

First of all I believe Gusto is more user friendly than any type of Quickbooks related software program. This program will literally keep your payroll organized and on point It actually gives me the exact amount of payroll that I owe every other week which helps me stay on track and eases up some of my frustrations crunching numbers and physically doing it myself. It literally does everything for you once you have the specific information entered, especially filing and organizing your payroll

Cons

It is priced a little bit more than similar programs but that is ok because I know for a fact with everything you ever buy that you will always get what you pay for. You want to be cheap, you get cheap software that you have to replace or winds up being junk, you want to spend a little extra your not paying out the butt later on new software.

Finally a payroll system that anyone can use and understand!

Payroll is no longer such a confusing and tedious process. I feel like I am back in control of my company finances with Gusto.

Pros

I absolutely love their support team. I have encountered many questions and potential problems on my end over the years, and their support has been super quick to reply to any of my concerns. They will go out of their way to help you navigate your payroll issues. Gusto is very easy to use and it gives me a safe and secure way to promptly fill out required forms and meet tax deadlines. I feel like my payroll process is essentially on auto-pilot now, so I'm saving time and money. The checklist approach to setting up accounts makes things very easy right from the start and the dashboard lets you know what actions are needed.

Cons

I wish I would have discovered Gusto sooner.

Lisa from Mighty IT Computer Repair

Gusto greatly reduces the H/R-Payroll-Hiring headaches

Gusto really has saved me from one of the worst jobs in my small company. The software takes care of employee onboarding, firing documentation, reviews and pay raises -- even remembering employee birthdays and allowing me to send an ecard! Every time I've "handed a job over" to Gusto, the software has accomplished something brilliantly that I spent too much time on and probably did a lousy job on. It's great!

Pros

It does all the filing of all the government's paperwork requirements, with hardly any input from me. It makes all of the employees' records available to them any time - no more finding and copying old W-2s on April 15th! Payroll suddenly went from the top of my hated chores list to the bottom! It's so easy to do a payroll, view the cash requirements, correct mistakes in the payroll, and do direct deposits, that I hardly ever worry about the payroll anymore!

Cons

It's a little too expensive, the "Reports" section is a little limited and arbitrary, and I can't correct or add things after their deadlines, even if it wouldn't change the forms they've already sent in. The benefits are so excellent, however, that they outweigh the problems many times over.

Brooks from Engenius

An All-In-One HR, Culture, Benefits, Payroll Solution

I love using Gusto, and I know our HR and Payroll Director does as well. We use it for payroll, benefits, time off, org charts, happiness surveys, and onboarding. It's made our lives a lot easier, and the price point is well worth it.

Pros

As a user, I love having everything in one place. I can access my Paid Time Off balance, request off, see my paychecks, my benefits, and coworkers' profiles all in one place. But my favorite thing about Gusto is probably their paycheck notification emails. They're a lot of fun and always a joy to get in my inbox. It's really a fantastic all-in-one solution. And, in my opinion, it's relatively low priced. The automated monthly surveys are also a big help to our leadership team.

Cons

There's not a lot. I will say there are a few features we don't use just because there are better options out there – such as time tracking. It's really simple, and if you need a more robust option connected to tasks it probably won't work for you.

Gusto is the Hero Payroll System We All Need

Pros

Gusto is so easy to use and so user-friendly! We had a previous payroll system before Gusto and every payroll cycle we had to wrestle with the system to make sure pay was out on time. Gusto is so much better! It sends updates and alerts directly to your email - our old system forced you to log in to see an alert so unless you logged in every day, you would never know if something was off!

Cons

The only complaint we have about Gusto is that the price is very competitive until you start adding more features. Even the base package of Gusto has quite a few features which work great for us but I can see how if you want a more complex, intricate system, the price could go up pretty quickly.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto was much more user-friendly and the customer service was far superior to the other options we explored.

Hugo from Align Chiropractic

The Simplest Software For Running Payroll!

Gusto has made it seamless running payroll for our business. Additionally, when hiring new employees the onboarding and simplified process of adding new team members has been a plus.

Pros

I am big on ease of use and user experience and what I love most about Gusto is how simple it is to use. From the onboarding process to running payroll for our employees. What's also a fantastic is the reporting to the IRS and helping us stay on track with running payroll.

Cons

To be honest, there isn't much I would say I like least about the Gusto. It's been a pleasurable and uneventful experience utilizing Gusto as our payroll provider.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Loved the user interface and the extensive features provided by Gusto.

Julie from Kingsway Christian School

Great product great team great price

Employee engagement is up, they like getting birthday cards, payday reminders, and fun tidbits on the payslip . They like having access to their pay account to make changes

Pros

It’s cost It’s implementation team was spot on and very responsive It integrates with Aplos well

Cons

Took a little bit to get implemented, but that’s with alll software!

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

The cost, the implementation team was great, they did not push the up sell. It works well without all the bells and whistles

Raghu from Harrinii

Great product for payroll

Gusto Zen payroll does everything for my business, this software is face is getting access to high-quality, yet affordable, software, particularly in HR for our business, it as given a huge demand for my business, it can be used in health sector also, thanks for such a wonderful product, gusto gives a lot more packages for your needs, it's an ideal management online payroll gives our business to gain profits...

Pros

Gusto provides a cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management solution for businesses ,Gusto helps in handling payments to employees and contractors and saves time, it can manage electronically as of paper work to the client needs, Gusto benefits administration and compliance management platform. Designed to serve mainly small businesses across world , gusto mainly works for payroll system and human resource for your business i strongly recommend this software it's number one product for your businesses

Cons

Gusto lacks one con, everything is good but it doesn't provide mobile app to easily access thorough it for Android or ios, website is good and easliy maintained, try to improve this, over all no issues...

Beth from The FurKid Company

Gusto is a miracle tool for payroll!!!!

This software has made payroll and hiring such a breeze! I used to dread new hire processing- but with Gusto the new hire do all of the work! And the interface makes it totally easy for them. =)

Pros

I am obsessed with this product and the support staff that comes with it! I have tried Intuit and ADP before finding Gusto. Gusto was a total game changer for me. The software is easy to use and really makes payroll a breeze for those of us who have businesses to run! You can upload a CSV file with that week's hours and any other payments and BOOM- payroll is done. I also like that they give me the exact amount I owe each week for that payroll- no monthly or quarterly surprises to budget for. And I have opted to roll in my workers comp payments as well. SO EASY. They also offer AMAZING onboarding options that mean every time I hire, I only enter a new employee's email address and they do the rest. I then verify that things look ok against their ID, e-sign the i9 and it's back to business for me. Everything looks modern, fresh and fun- and that makes my company look polished and put together! I literally do not know how we managed while using the other companies. We love Gusto!!!!

Cons

It might be a tiny bit more expensive than some of the other guys, but those dollars are completely worth the time saving and error avoiding features included in Gusto. And their customer service far exceeds the other companies as well.

Amy from Shop For Good

Makes payroll easy for a newbie

Pros

As a small business owner, I just hired my first couple employees last year. I was completely new to the whole thing, and was a bit intimidated by all the requirements of doing payroll. After looking into a few payroll software options, I went with Gusto and am glad I did. It walked me through everything, in a very user-friendly way. It has helpful articles about the various requirements of payroll taxes, steps for hiring employees, forms to fill out, etc. The setup took a bit of time, but was a pretty reasonable process. Now that it's all set up, I don't have to spend hardly any time at all on payroll. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes every two weeks on payroll, and then don't have to think about it. Gusto handles all the payroll taxes (filing, paying, etc), and employee direct deposits. It honestly couldn't be easier.

Cons

I had a little bit of a problem getting my state taxes account set up. For some reason, it was giving me error messages about account numbers and things. Customer service was able to help me through it, and figure out what the issue was on their end. That was the only part of the process that wasn't totally painless. The only thing I wish this software had is a timecard functionality.

Brooka from Restoration Family Chiropractic

I LOVE THIS PAYROLL SOFTWARE!

The benefit with Gusto is all the reminders that it sends to your email (and never too many emails sent). It has allowed me to manage and organize all my employees and their preferences in one spot while allowing me to run payroll and file tax forms with ease. I am new at running a business and Gusto has really helped with the learning curve!

Pros

This software has not only made my life easier when it comes to payroll because it's so simple and easy to use, but it has allowed me to learn more because of all the tutorials and explanations that it gives. If I have a question, I don't have to hop on the phone or a chat line to get my questions answered because they have everything spelled out and explained for the "regular" non-tax/accountant professional.

Cons

I have no current complaints about this software at this time because it meets all my needs COMPLETELY!

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto had better pricing and was MUCH more user friendly when it came to how it was organized and the appearance.

Best payroll software i've used by far

This has helped me organize and group all my payroll and benefits so easily and in proper order i would be lost without this software

Pros

It not only makes doing payroll a brease, which for me was something i dreaded most, but it has all your company's benefits at hand for easy access. Makes a task that used to be such a stress so simple and easy to accomplish, i can't imagine going back to doing payroll without this software.

Cons

I can't think of one con the only thing that would make this software better would be if it were free.

Robert from EcoReco Corporation USA

Cheapest, fastest, best service

Pros

Their pricing is not only competitive, but scales linearly with the size of your organization - beating many other services handily price-wise for smaller companies, especially if you run bi-weekly or weekly payrolls. The ability to pay Gusto by month rather than by the payroll gives me flexibility in paying our employees more frequently without added cost. To top it all off, their customer service reflects their aim of taking on their relatively enormous competitors - they have an incredible support team.

Cons

They don't show net pay until after you hit submit. It makes grossing up bonuses a pain, but that's ultimately not a big deal. Plus, for how few times I've had to do it, it remains a possibility that they've got this functionality now and I'm just not aware of it. The area for viewing prior payrolls also bothers me, as I'd prefer something less flashy and more strictly functional (don't gate viewing prior payrolls by making me click to scroll the list down, Gusto, it's aesthetically pleasing but functionally it's an unnecessary hassle).

John from Columbia Property Management

Payroll Made Easy

Overall very simple software to use. I can always find what I need and get a nice email every pay period showing the breakdown of my paycheck.

Pros

This software is cloud-based and simple to use for users. It has a nice dashboard layout and quickly able to navigate from the left-side display. You can easily find your paystubs all the way back to your start date and see year to date statistics about your pay, benefits, and deductions. There is also a tab for your benefits so if you have a 401K or HSA/FSA you can see what, is contributed to those. Easily update your state and federal allowances yourself and add any additional withholdings with the click of a button. Also, have a documents section that has all of your prior year W-2s. One nice feature is the giving section. If you give regularly to a charity you can have it deducted directly from your paycheck.

Cons

Like many cloud-based applications we use in our office the calendar is all right but not useful. It would be nice if they were able to integrate their calendar into our office calendar (Google calendar).

Jenny from Bill Good Marketing

GREAT SERVICE FOR SMALL BUSINESSES

Overall, it's a GREAT system for small businesses and startups. It's really simple to get up and running and really simple to process payroll. Overall, we like the functionality.

Pros

It's afforadable and easy to use and especially functional for small businesses or start-ups.

Cons

Their PTO/ Vacation policies are clunky and hard to work with. And their nav menu has too many clicks back and forth. They don't handle the delivery of year-end documents (W2s).

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

This was the best software for the price.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,447 reviews