AbacusLaw Reviews

Our advisors have recommended this product 8 times in the last 30 days

Browse AbacusLaw Reviews

Tera from Reynolds, Horne & Survant

AbacusLaw User

This program has been very user friendly. Info is easy to add or delete from a file in this program. It keeps issues very organized. Tabs can be customized to your firm.

Pros

This software allows us to keep our client's files organized. We can tailor this program to what we need in our client's files based on what out firm does, and/or what type of case it is. We can keep up with our calendars and everyone can log in from wherever they are and see the daily organizer for all or individuals. It allows us to keep notes in files, monitors for conflicts, and is very useful for setting ticklers to use as reminders. I find it very useful that it keeps up with all the players and their info under "linked names". Also keeps up w/ events, docs, & emails in one place.

Cons

If things are moved on the main drive, it breaks the links in abacus and they are no longer able to be found or traced if whomever moves the doc or breaks the link doesn't make a new one at that time.

Assly from Assly Sayyar, Attorney at Law, Inc.

This Saved My Business

Pros

As a small law firm you would think that software and a private cloud are luxuries reserved only for "big" firms but you are wrong. To be efficient, organized, avoid malpractice, and spend more time billing and less time on admin, a small firm needs legal software like AbacusLaw. When I wanted to add staff, the Abacus Private Cloud let all of my team utilize the AbacusLaw software with ease, from home and from other states where I am also licensed. And when COVID-19 hit, it was the AbacusLaw software and the Abacus Private Cloud that let us continue work uninterrupted, serving clients and not having to lay off a single person.

Cons

I wish there was a way to keep two separate books of business in AbacusLaw's accounting software since many small law firms are not "traditional" firms but several separate solo practitioners working together but with different accounting. The only "bad" part about having such a versatile and essential piece of software is on the occasion where it isn't working life seems to end. It has become indispensable. If that is a "con" that would be the biggest one!

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

I have worked with all four of those before when working with other attorneys. None were as versatile as AbacusLaw. Some had serious bugs in trust accounting. Others had horrible customer service and some had interfaces that were not user friendly. Then there was the price on some of the better ones. Finally none of them had the other software, security, and support I needed to grow my business.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

Credenza reached end of life and was bought by AbacusLaw's parent company. I had to switch and I was worried but the switch was worth it and all my data migrated over.

Erica from Hammerschmidt Law Corporation

Abacus for the Paralegal

I am able to update our dockets and manage our monthly client billing with ease. I occasionally get kicked out of Abacus but overall enjoy the software.

Pros

Creating a docket is simple. We are able to quickly review the attorney notes and provide updates to the clients without having to get the attorney involved.

Cons

I wasn't involved in any training so I'm sure there are lots of features that our office is not taking advantage of.

Mary from WealthPLAN, PC

Industry: Law Practice

Thought it would be better

I really thought Abacus was a better product than it has turned out to be. It can't do basic things that an accounting system can do. It's a so-so product.

Pros

I liked that it could integrate with our business systems as they are.

Cons

The add-ins do not work consistently and have more cons than pros. The reporting is not very good and making deposits that are not client checks makes no sense. The system is good for basic legal clients, but anything more complex and there's issues. You can't just double click on a number in a report to get more information on it like many other software programs. If you print a check, you can't change anything about it with an edit; you have to delete the entire thing to make small changes. There is also no way to track time reductions truly. Entering time takes forever because you have to go into each matter separately and enter your time instead of a large platform to enter time for each matter on one sheet. Editing bills takes so much longer than it should because of how it has to be done.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

I thought it was the best product for it's money at the time.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

The software was never setup right from the beginning and it had been too long running it at about 25% of what it was worth.

David from Law Office of David C Roston

Solo practitioner using Abacus

When I consistently enter time, the software works smoothly for me. Creating invoices is easy, as is correcting time entry errors. If I fall behind the software has no impediments to catching up on time entries. I've looked at switching to another program and concluded that the benefits of functionality I will not use are not worth the learning curve.

Pros

The bottom line is that Abuscu does everything that I need and has added bells and whistles that would be valuable in my practice. Once I figure out how to use a function it works well for me. Learning how to use most functions easy. Beyond basic time tracking, adjusting my working style to Abacus Law has been an obstacle. The problem is mine than the software. I've learned to use certain functions that would be valuable to me, but I have not been able to adopt them. I don't think another application would be better. The bottom line is that Abuscu does everything that I need and has added bells and whistles that would be valuable in my practice.

Cons

The software feels like it was written 20 years ago and not updated to a better user-interface. I wish that there were a simple to use app for my smartphone. Abacus may have that for its cloud product, but the cost difference made me lose interets. The online help is daunting, but the telephone support is terrific. It's an adequate balance. I wish there was a way to export billing data to Quickbooks. My accountant knows QB. I can't impose on him to learn Abacus accounting. I'm using a program that tracks my computer use by app and even collects screenshots. Something like that would be a wonderful addition.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

I thought the price was better for my needs. I am still happy with the cost.

Grayson from Phillips & Ingrum

Mixed Bag

It's a mixed bag. It could be great software if the people who developed it had real experience using it in a practical environment. And if they spent more time testing stuff to make sure it worked. And if their tech support people were more helpful and less evasive.

Pros

Part of what attracted us to this software was that it advertised that it allowed us to integrate WordPerfect forms that we already had into the document preparation feature. We also like the group calendar that allows us to color-code each attorney making it easy to determine who is where. They also did a fairly decent job of integrating old data from a previous practice management software to allow more thorough conflict checking. The interface for most things is reasonably intuitive. It has features that can make it a good all-around practice management program if you use all of them.

Cons

Technical support is sad. So many of the people we get have no idea what the problems are or why the program is doing something it should not be. Correcting an error often becomes a lengthy boondoggle that takes ridiculous amounts of time. Features that they promise are part of the software are often not fully or properly functional, or the support staff seems to have no idea how they actually work. When trying to work with WordPerfect integration, for example, they did not seem to have any tech support personnel who actually knew how to use the program or how it was supposed to integrate and could not answer questions about it, so we were on our own. It does integrate, for the most part, but some things we try to ask about they just don't know an answer for . They promised us integration with LawPay and then backed out instead pushing a program they had developed to take payments. After seeing how they have been with other features, I don't want them to experiment on me and my clients with some "new" software they have halfway developed. We sometimes found that we knew more about the program than some of the tech support folks we were on calls with, and quite frequently we never receive explanations for why something was not working right, even though we WANT to know so we can avoid the issue in the future. I suspect sometimes it's a bug on their end that they do not want to confess to. It also does not double-check deletions and changes-leading to lost data.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

Basically, the group calendar and WordPerfect integration - ProLaw was moving away from WordPerfect support and we already had a substantial number of documents and preferred this software.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

Moving to a new firm that already had Abacus and wanted to integrate

Marie from Mobley Law Office, PA

All the Bells and Whistles

I have been an AbacusLaw users since I opened my own firm in 2006. I have used the software and switched to APC. I went briefly with a competitor for four months because of the cost difference and learned quickly: you get what you pay for. I promptly switched back to Abacus and determined that the APC was worth it.

Pros

The ease of use, the triple reconciliation feature, and the linking items to client matters.

Cons

I wish the calendar syncing feature with Google calendar/Outlook was easier and not manually required. I also wish the price point was lower for small firms. It's just me and a paralegal.

See above.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

I switched from Abacuslaw Gold to Clio to have the remote work feature. I switched to APC from Clio after four months because I missed the easier Triple Reconciliation, the calendaring and billing feature, and the document storage features that were either not available in Clio or not as developed and easy to use as they were in Abacus.

Waringa from MMAN Advocates

Abacus Law - A Year In

We wanted a product that allowed us to have a 360 view on our productivity, profitability, case management and accounting software. Abacus has provided us with this in one package.

Pros

The time ticket and notes functions have increased our accuracy and efficiency in billing, and provide attorneys and partners with the ability to provide clients with accurate status reports on their matters. The document management function mean that teams can access all information quickly. The software allows partners to track their teams productivity and evaluate work in progress.

Cons

The software does not provide for multiple currency databases - although Abacus built several for us. The outlook function is not so stable and with us use several currency databases, you have to keep switching the outlook function in each database. The reports format takes some getting used to - they would be easier to use if they could be downloaded as excel spreadsheets.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

Abacus bought Amicus Attorney just as we were beginning to review it.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

The software designer could not fully develop it and went out of business. The product was also not linked to our accounting package, which meant that we spent a lot of time manually developing work in progress, debtors and matter productivity reports.

Ugh. I use it because I don't feel I have a better option...

The cost vs other comparable software is the primary reason why this software was chosen. Additionally (just as important to us) is that the data is stored on our network and not the cloud.

Pros

The legal billing and trust accounting functions are great. However, the rest of the accounting functionality really stinks. I like how for billing, you can schedule a bill to e-mail or print and it automatically does it (e/m or print) when you finalize the bills.

Cons

I'm used to QuickBooks. I hate that I can't drill down to detail from reports. I hate that I can't type a vendor's name when I tab to the field when entering A/P (you have to open the search window and search for the vendor...there's no way to fully navigate through data entry without taking your hands off the keyboard). Data between the "Law" program and the "Accounting" program becomes "out of sync" frequently. There's a script to run to attempt to fix it, but it takes hours to run.

Evelyn from Evelyn Gwin Mangan, P.C.

Extremely bad customer support

Used to be a good product. Has consistently declined in quality of the product and a vast decline in technical support. I have used the program for more than 10 years and was happy until about three years ago when technical support became a complete joke.

Pros

I have it installed and it is easier to keep using it than to take the time from my practice to switch.

Cons

Technical support. Can't reach technical support by hold. It leaves you on hold and then cuts you off forcing you to leave a call back. Long call back time. Also, that assumes that I have nothing to do with my time except to sit around and wait for a call and that I won't be meeting with a client and unavailable when a call comes.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

Appeared to be best option at the time.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

Seemed to be a better produce.

Debbie from Ames & Ames, LLP

Great calendering program.

Abacus if the only legal software I have used. it was is in place when I started with the firm and I have never had any formal training. There is so much more to Abacus than we utilize but to get the help I need, it costs extra. I was not at the firm for the initial set up so if there was any training offered, i did not get it. We briefly switch from Abacus to another produce but it did not meet our needs so we switched back.

Pros

Deadlines are a big and important part of our every day function. Abacus calendaring makes it easy to keep track of the deadlines and also important hearings and meetings. Customer service is always very helpful.

Cons

Abacus Knowledge Base does not always have helpful information when I need to figure out something new. When adding a new attorney the last name box is highlighted, when you tab to the next box it is the ID box instead of the first name box or another box that you actually need to add information. This is frustrating because an ID number is not something you change or add each time you add a new name. When adding a "bill to" person, an accounting screen for the billing is opened. When you click the box next to Open Advanced Billing Options on save, then done, extra steps have to be taken to actually get to the billing screen to enter additional information. We don't us Abacus forms because they are not easy to set up. With the forms we do have set up, many times we have to make adjustments each time we use them so it is not worth the time or hassle to do so and we end up creating the document with out using Abacus forms. It costs extra for any help to create these forms.

Tami from Law Office of Diane Anderson

Industry: Law Practice

Have a law office? you need ABACUS!

I feel that if you are an attorney, or work for one, you need AbacusLaw. They have pre-created tasks that you can begin with, or you can create your own specific guidelines for whatever type of law you practice. I had created a timeline that was "to-the-day" for bankruptcy documents to be filed in the Federal Court, and other tasks with clients to complete and file in a timely manner- it was a well-oiled timeline! If somebody practices family law, ie: divorces, child custody, child support- you could create a timeline to file documents as required. Personal Injury attorney or Estate Planning- Criminal law, so many options - Abacus is the program (tool) that helped me to get my jobs done, on time!

Pros

I have worked for two separate law offices since 1998. My first time using Abacus in 1998 (we call her "ABBY") I felt a little overwhelmed- but as I learned HOW the system worked- I LOVED it! I rely on ABBY for everything! I like knowing WHERE the client's file is, whether it is on someone's desk or in the attorney's briefcase, or tucked away in the filing cabinet- it saves time when searching a large or even small office for a file- just click on the client's Matter and look for "LOCATION" and BAM! it tells me the last entered location! ABBY keeps track of notes, events, tasks/to-do's, court hearings, appointments- anything that is important to your office. When a client comes in to the office or calls, I can easily pull up ABBY and see what notes or tasks that others have placed in the system for that client, then I can easily help the client do what they need to do, like print out documents for them to sign - or maybe collect a payment for something- I can help the client without having to pull others away from what they are doing. I have found ABBY to be an AWESOME TOOL for the law office- ABBY is right up there with the scanner, copier and telephone! Cannot run a business without any of those!!

Cons

the ONLY 'bad' thing, is if the HUMAN does not enter their tasks or to-do's, or utilize ABBY as intended. ABBY is like a car, she is not going to go anywhere unless you put the tasks, to-do's, hearings, location of a file, etc. in her. Train the employees to utilize ABBY for your office's needs, and there will be no 'negative' anything regarding ABACUS.

Eric from Medical

We have relied on this software as one of our primary organizational tools for over five years.

It is a mostly comprehensive business-management tool

Pros

The Abacus software, now on Abacus Private Cloud, almost always is functioning properly, and is accessible from anywhere, anytime. After our experience, we would now not use anything that is not cloud-based, particularly being in a city highly prone to power-outages, floods, and hurricanes. We have found the software to steadily improve in features and speed. The customer service is the best I have experienced very particularly in the software industry. The techs are all very knowledgeable and carefully resolve every inquiry. They are also available very quickly, an absolute anomaly in the software business. The calendering component, as others have observed, is a key strong-point. The linking in of all events, documents, e-mails, and notes into one accessible electronic folder provides the convenient efficiency that you will frequently use. It is possible to scan documents directly to the cloud case file from your local computer - an important step-saver. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, when installed, functions on the APC desktop. You will need reasonably strong, consistent Internet connections. Airport terminals are mostly unusable work locations even with a "jet-pack" or cell-phone "hot-spot."

Cons

This is a powerful software tool. As such, except for the calendar, it is not a "plug & play" system, except for the most computer-fluent users. To fully utilize its comprehensive features will take a commitment to initial as well as ongoing learning while taking the daily, time-consuming steps to precisely link all activities back to the case file. However, the added work will and must obviate the paper file. The queries, forms, and reports functions are all very valuable but are far too complex to user-initiate, and each requires ongoing custom installation by the provider. Cost-effective file collaboration with outsiders is not possible, therefore an added cloud account and the expense is required along with the time of copying and moving sizeable files. Changing accounting from existing into the integrated system is a major transition to be carefully evaluated in advance. Maintaining the current accounting system, at least temporarily, will be required. This software must be your primary organizational tool as it will grow into a weighted expense that is justifiable only if it is the key resource. The software does crash daily when trying to interact with Outlook for file linking of e-mails. It can usually be resolved with a quick re-start. Initiating printing is quite slow and getting slower but understandable with a remote server. Microsoft Office, Adobe Pro, and Reallegal depo transcription all work very well here. Some other applications do not at all.

Barzin from Barry Sabahat, Attorney

Affordable; complete; intuitive

This software allows me to run my small law firm without having to hire full time assistants and automates about 80% of my administrative tasks.

Pros

1. Affordable: Having purchased similar software years ago and having paid an amount for it, I knew that the cost of a new firm management software that handled both front office and back office matters was going to be a major obstacle for me. Particularly if I wanted the software to be resident on my computer as opposed to web-based. But, with the monthly payment plan that Abacuslaw offers, it was very easy to sign up. 2. Complete management solution. There are very few programs around that offer both a full management software and a full accounting software to attorneys. Most of the software out there offers a billing component, but not a full accounting solution. With Abacuslaw, I can have both for the same price. I don't have to have another accounting software like QuickBooks pro to handle the accounting of my office. 3. The software is very easy to use. Most of the time, I can figure things out by myself without much training. But, to the extent I need training, I can find videos on YouTube or worst case scenario, I can sign up for their affordable one on one instructions. 4. Really good support staff: My questions or problems are usually answered and resolved on the same call into the office. Very responsive and knowledgeable support staff and extremely cooperative and helpful. 5. I've done lots of research. Not too many companies with the same level of service and features for the same price. Highly recommend it.

Cons

1. Glitches. While support staff is very responsive, the number of glitches is at times distracting. I would say that I average about maybe one glitch every three months or so. But it is dealt with very soon. 2. Data migration: The only major problem I had with Abacus law was their data migration. I was migrating from Amicus online and they could not transfer my data. Finally, the only thing they were able to migrate was my case information. I had to reenter my financial data myself. My suggestion is to make sure that they understand what format you are migrating from and get a firm commitment from them that they can handle the migration without problems. In the end, though, the drawbacks are so small, compared to the benefits that the minor complaints I have don't even register.

Devan from Barnett & Bennett Law Firm

Excellent Technical Support

Does just about everything I need to for law firm practice management, once I've tinkered with it enough.

Pros

Because I am a power user, I am able to make it do everything I want . There is not any other PM software out there that is as customizable. However, that comes with a cost in usability (more on that below). However, I have had excellent technical support. I had an issue that I could not solve on my own. I called CS and, although they were not able to resolve it in that session, I was impressed with the thoroughness of the work and the help offered. They went above and beyond to to try to ID the issue. After tinkering around more, I called back with more info and was connected to another tech who was able to resolve the issue. Both had excellent professionalism and telephone demeanor. I was very impressed by these two experiences and with the quality of the technicians. This was much better service than I expected and there are only a few companies who have provided this quality of support.

Cons

There is a cost to customizability. That is that it can be quite difficult for a non-computer-guy to set up beyond basic calendaring and contact tracking. The workflow and database relationships are not particularly intuitive. Even simple things like creating a search query take more computer knowledge than most attorney will have. Setting up reports or calendar rules is extremely user-unfriendly. Without my computer background I could never have done it. Because I'm a power user, I can adapt it to meet all of our needs. But out-of-the-box, it's a little too generic to be really useful for most attorneys, even with the "Special Editions." The attorney who referred me to Abacus uses it as nothing more than a calendar and client contacts and it's too expensive to use it that way.

July 2016

Vanya from Vanya Tyrrell Accounting Inc.

July 2016

AbacusLaw is the heart of my practice.

I have been an AbacusLaw customer since 1998. I believe I was the first accountant to try and adapt your matters based program to a client based usage. We spent many hours adapting your improvements every year to insure that I could continue to manage my accounting practice through your program. It was a challenge, but the results are well worth it. I have a data file that has a record of every appointment, every phone call, what IRS agent is assigned to what case, etc., since 1998, for over 5500 tax clients.I have a record of every bill sent to our business clients since we started using Abacus Accounting to manage our receivables. I believe so strongly in this program that, when I joined H&R Block 3 years ago, I demanded a clause allowing me to put this program on their computers. After investigating your program, their tech team recommended that the clause is allowed in my contract, a very rare concession by H&R Block. They have since designed a program for appointments, which is free, and which I am required to use. So we make our appointments in AbacusLaw first then input them into the AM. It takes a little more time but it is worth it. When a client says they have not heard from us, I print out the Abacus record of contact, showing the date and time calls were made and what messages were left. It immediately tames the angry beast and I usually get an apology. This program is the heart of my business. I would be lost without it.

Pros

Their support is absolutely the best. In the very unusual event that I need support, they always remember me, are friendly and super knowledgeable. Usually I am asking for a workaround to make their program do something it isn't designed to do. They could just impress me off, but they really try to make it work the way I need it, and they usually find a way. Having client info at my fingertips makes me look very efficient and very competent.

Shar from Arias & Lockwood, APLC

I love Abacus!

Pros

I was first introduced to Abacus at my prior law firm. I was familiar with a different case management software from another law firm. I was happy to be able to convince my current employer to obtain this very useful tool for our firm. I use it daily and am nearly lost without it. The main function for our office is the calendaring system which is amazing and is easily customizable for our needs. I am aware that the software does 80% more; however, it is an excellent value just the way we utilize it.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to report is, years ago for some odd reason, the customizing I had done to the trial calendar disappeared. Customer service individual who was extremely patient and knowledgeable, was able to correct it and return it to my customized settings.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

I was familiar with the program from another law firm and found it to be superior to other case management software programs I had used over the years.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

Ease of use and functionality.

Kayle from Marla Heikkala & Associates

Industry: Law Practice

Support is nothing short of phenomenal! We switched from Amicus to Abacus and are very happy.

We did the switch because of the buy-out of amicus but have been very happy with the change. We are doing everything through the cloud and it has been seemless.

Pros

Probably the most is the support. I put off my first support call for a long time--waited until I had a good chunk of time because I assumed I would be on hold forever. Not the case. The person that answered the phone (no hold time) was the person that solved my problem with ease. They explained what they were doing so that I could handle the next time if there was a next time and they haven't treated anyone in our office like they were dumb--even when they had no idea what they were doing. This has been the case each time we have called support. The transition, once all of our data was converted went smoothly and even our limited computer users had little problems from day one.

Cons

The least are probably things that I just don't understand how to do yet. We have only been using the software since January, so I try to spend a little time weekly learning a new aspect of the program. The one thing I wish it would do that amicus did, was in events, I could schedule events that would be added in once another even was completed. In abacus I can set dates out in advance, but they are not contingent on when something was completed. Hope that is something they are looking at for future upgrades. That is probably the only thing I miss from amicus.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied June 2017

Kayle, We are tremendously glad to hear that the transition has been a good one! To take a deeper dive into the features of AbacusLaw, we recommend joining our weekly half hour "Free Training Friday" webinars. You are also more than welcome to contact our support team at any time who will be more than happy to impart some tips so you can fully take advantage of our software. Watch past webinars and register for future ones here: https://www.abacusnext.com/webinars Best, AbacusNext

JAMES from JAMES A. FARR, ATTORNEY

December 2015

ABACUS PRIVATE CLOUD - A GREAT COMPUTING PLATFORM FOR LAWYERS!!

For the last 20 months my entire law office has been run on Abacus Private Cloud. It has worked flawlessly, with great, responsive, USA-based tech support (for set up issues and as needed thereafter). APC enabled me to put my entire law office into a private cloud environment, in an industrial data center custom-built solely for this purpose, dedicated to the legal profession, and managed by top-notch professionals in the data center industry; this is something I could never have achieved on my own, or through another vendor. The benefits to my law practice from Abacus Private Cloud are: - - My data is secure and safe in the Abacus Private Cloud data center. No more local data backups, because all data is on the private cloud server, and is backed up there. - - My local equipment costs are drastically lower than before I switched to a private cloud. I eliminated the three desktop computers that I was previously accessing remotely. - - I don't need costly application software on each local access device. All law office applications can be run on the private cloud server, not on local hardware. The local devices are there simply to display and interact with the private cloud server. - - My private cloud server can run any software, whether related to Abacus or not. Therefore, I can run the application software that my meets the specific needs of my law practice, regardless of the vendor. - - My local IT and tech support costs are $0. - - My staff and I have become totally mobile, without sacrificing efficiency. This means that each employee, as needed, can work on their own schedule, and from any location with cell phone coverage, electricity, and an Internet connection. This creates a flexible, modern, and dynamic work environment, resulting in a better quality of life, happier attorneys and staff, and a better work vs. life balance for all involved. - - All law office applications and data are accessible 24×7 for each user via any device: desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone. - - Private cloud technical requests (e.g., email configuration, remote access from a new device, etc.) are promptly resolved by the Abacus Private Cloud support staff. - - System reliability (uptime) is outstanding. In sum, this is a truly great product, at a reasonable price, with great customer support. I highly recommend you get it!! Thanks.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied December 2015

Mr Farr: Thank you for being a valued Abacus client. We're glad that you have fully automated your practice Abacus Private Cloud, and enjoy your virtual workplace environment. We are committed to providing our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you much success! Best, The Abacus Total Care Team

Amanda from The Spencer Law Firm, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use and customize, terrible customer support

I've enjoyed using Abacus for many years. I used the cloud based option which was really great aside from the cost for storage space and it's limitations. I'm not crazy about their support team, but it wasn't a huge problem because it usually worked fine on it own. There are limits to the reporting, but they are also very customizable within those limits. Creating custom mail merge documents is a breeze.

Pros

I like the ease of making documents and templates with Abacus. It is very customizable and easy to use. I like having the matters and names databases and being able to cross reference cases with people. The reporting is good, but could use some work so that you can pull reports from 2 different databases at once (i.e. the addresses of all of the clients or providers for all active matters).

Cons

The draw back with Abacus is that it doesn't give you check lists or ways to case manage very well. It's easy to use and customize, which is good, because their customer services is slow and not great.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied April 2019

Dear Amanda, Thank you so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, providing excellent products is very important to us, so it's good to hear we're delivering on that promise. I'm sorry our client service hasn't met your expectations; please feel free to get in touch with me if I can help. On behalf of all of us at AbacusNext, thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come. All the best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882

Keelin from Law Office of Keelin S. Barry, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Good if you make additional significant investment into tailoring it to your firm's needs.

Abacus is probably best for an office with existing procedures and forms that is willing to make a significant investment into customizing and maintaining Abacus, including having at least one Abacus-designated point person who develops intensive understanding of Abacus. A point about customization: you need to think through your process. For some, a more "plug and play" program may help you to figure out your process.

Pros

Potential flexibility because of many functionalities. We use it every day to track matter activity, coordinate schedules, meet deadlines, retrieve critical information, and bill clients.

Cons

Cannot use many features without hiring expensive Abacus professional because program is not intuitive. Numerous online resources, including knowledge base and trainings, but difficult to find what I need when I need it. Reports and queries: Odd that in our present "plug and play" world, reports are poorly formatted and queries difficult to use. Email integration: Does not integrate with our google suite, only Outlook. Customer Support: Expertise and availability has declined, although still reasonable, if more time consuming.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

When I purchased Abacus about ten years ago, I interviewed several other legal software providers. Abacus' flexibility and range of functionality led me to choose it for my interdisciplinary practice.

Jane from long Term & Continuing Care Association of Manitoba

Good but could be improved in certain areas

We need to store a lost of data related to the health care sector. Abacus was not designed for our specific needs but we have incorporated our needed information into your field ranges. Its not perfect but works. We bought your product mostly because of the email feature. That has not worked well.

Pros

It captures all of the data we need. The queries work well. Your support team is fairly fast to respond and when they do respond most of the people we have dealt with speak English quite well. As a person with hearing issues, this is extremely important to me.

Cons

The emailing feature needs to be improved. Constant issues with trying to add links, photos, logos or graphics, can't add attachments. We do a mass newsletter monthly and almost always have issues. We want our newsletters to look better more eye catching but with this program we can only send boring basic emails with little chance of catching the readers attention. If we want to do something with graphics, logos, links, or add attachments we have to do a query and export the email addressing into an excel spreadsheet then do batches of emails in Outlook. This is our biggest complaint with Abacus.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

It was the cost and the email feature.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

The switch was made because the product we were using became obsolete and was not being recreated.

Norm from Keyt Law Office, LLC

Problems with Support

Three of four years ago, I would have given five stars on all categories. Things have changed. In addition, the new owners increased annual license fees 40% last year.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software product for a law office, with case management, document management and billing. Our firm has been using it for 12 years.

Cons

The original founder of Abacus had very high standards. Tech support was very good. You could always connect quickly with a knowledgeable tech support specialist. In addition, for the first 7 or 8 years we used it, it was virtually bullet proof. It rarely, if ever, had a crash or issue of any kind. In more recent versions, you started to see more crashes or technical problems. But, at least the support was good when needed. The founder sold the company a couple of years ago. They acquired Amicus, several other products and most recently HotDocs. The quality of their tech support has significantly deteriorated. For example, we had a crash using the billing component, with a window that popped up with an error code this morning at roughly 9:00 a.m. Called tech support, was on hold for ten minutes, then prompted to leave a message. Left message at 9:10 a.m. this morning. In fact, both I and the user of the workstation left messages. It is 3:15 p.m. and Abacus has not called back.

Gary from Gary D. Appleby, Attorney at Law, LLC

Abacus Cloud

I am a sole practitioner concentrating on Worker's Compensation, Personal Injury, and Municipal Court cases. My calendar and "corporate knowledge" of my cases has improved a lot. My staff likes the software. I highly recommend it.

Pros

I have been using Abacus since 2004. I just transitioned from using on my local server to having it and my IT hosted on the Cloud. Abacus is logically organized in a flexible way that allows me to categorize my notes in a way which really suits my practice. It is pretty easy for my staff to learn. It has an abundance of features, including some that I have not yet explored. As an Attorney, I really like the calendar and reports function. As an employer, I really like its document production feature.

Cons

Occasionally I have problems printing envelopes from a separate envelope printer, especially when adding a new computer to the network.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

I have been using Abacus a long time. Initially, it seemed to be the best balance of good features and good cost. Over the years, I have come to appreciate their excellent customer service. When it was time for me to move to the Cloud, all of these benefits convinced me that Abacus was the way to go.

Louise from Deep Blue Costs

Ongoing diffciulties

As usual, Customer support was very helpful. He called when he said he would and did his best to resolve the issues over which he had control. Where the issues related to Amicus and he could not resolve them himself, he has pointed me in the right direction so that at least I can try to get them resolved in the future if he can’t do so whilst I am on annual leave. In my view, Customer support assistance is really the only redeeming feature of the support provided, with no one else showing any real interest in helping me. The product could be excellent but is let down by speed and support issues. Now I only bother to contact Customer support as he is the only person who has really shown any interest in trying to resolve issues.

Pros

The product has a number of useful features which make it good for use in legal work. The ability to store all documents and correspondences within a file and send them by email or move them to different files are excellent, as is the ability to generate template documents and amend as necessary

Cons

The product is often slow and cumbersome to use, with numerous glitches which never seem to get resolved. we are based in the UK and were told that we would have 24 hour support, but this simply hasn't happened. I have had some issues with Outlook, copying and pasting and documents not attaching to emails for three months now and, whilst Customer support has made every attempt to try and sort these out, he is only able to do so during US working hours (which means from around 3pm UK time) and, despite his commitment and many efforts, the problems are still not resolved which, I understand, is because there is a bug for which there is so far no fix.

Julie from Kriger Law firm

Industry: Law Practice

Would like more training (i.e. a weekly "how to" e-mail that is short and sweet with something abacus offers curtailed to how company uses the product would be nice.

The out of the ordinary task I was assigned frustrated me for several hours before I reached out for assistance. But when I did reach out, the assistance was there. It was something I could do, I just needed guidance. The executive from Abacus not only guided me through the process, but he explained what I was doing as we worked through to completion of the task and how it worked so I could easily do on my own the next time. Today, I had to go back in and add another search element and was able to do so without the frustration as before. I understood how it worked, and to clone what was already working so I didn't lose what had been done but improved upon it. Thank you very much for the help AND suggestion to clone before editing!

Pros

It combines calendar (both legal and non-legal), accounting and legal / case management into one area. Legal forms are updated regularly. Notes can be made addressing each case progress and conflict of interest checks are easily manageable. Automatic population is convenient when working on new matters under regular clients. The help line has always been quick, easy and convenient. Every person I have ever spoken with has been of great assistance, without hesitation. Thank you.

Cons

It is difficult (for me) to figure out the help through the on line directions to complete an out of the ordinary task.

Michael from Lawyer

AbacusLaw is Essential for Saving Time and Money

Our experience with AbacusLaw has been very beneficial in keeping matters organized and running smoothly. And also, knowing that if any issue should arise, it will be promptly seen to by their very capable IT team, which may be what makes AbacusLaw essential. Their team is always courteous and ready to serve you in a timely manner. As far as the software itself, there is rarely a problem.

Pros

Organization is key, so being able to link matters with the calendar and pull up events with so little effort makes my job much easier. I cannot imagine running a law firm without this program. It makes all the difference when you are in the business of billing clients based on time spent on their particular matter. The full scope of events, dates, time and time spent are at the ready, saving a tremendous amount of time. AbacusLaw is incredibly functional. This software has it all, and I feel that our small firm isn't implementing the software to it's fullest capabilities. This is apparent as there are helpful suggestions each morning when I login and go to my calendar.

Cons

There is little to not like about the software. I suppose if it were free and could read my mind, but...

Laurie from Crawford Bringslid Vander Neut, LLP

Industry: Law Practice

Good not Great, but what is...

Our billable hours have increased, due to the ease of use of the timekeeper processes.

Pros

Linking ability between names, matters, the calendar and to email.

Cons

Least favorite is so ironic. In Abacus Accounting retainers are painstaking and excruciatingly burdensome to keep track of and requires manual allocation to timekeepers.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

There are not many to chose from, that include accounting, but Abacus seemed to be the best fit for us. Unfortunately, it is lacking greatly in it's accounting features. Abacus was supposed to be developing an updated version, but that has not been rolled out yet.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

We never had an interaction with PCLaw's support team, that was positive. We hired independant consultants to assist when there were issues.

Alissa from The Sammarco Law Firm LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Abacus Law is not user friendly, but it is very usefull

Overall, I use it daily and rely on it. I have had some frustrations with it's interaction with outlook and emails. I have had frustrations as outlined above. I do like it, but wish it were more intuitive and usefull in that way.

Pros

I like the ability to track action and save emails and contact for each client. Also, to track deadlines and tickles on the calendar.

Cons

Use of the reports (figuring out correct useful report or creating report), integration with merging letters and documents, and customizing the screens is extremely cumbersome, difficult, time consuming and is not intuitive. I spent several hours as well as time on the phone and on the learning video figuring out merging form letters and documents. However, when I did figure it out, I found out that some of the Word Documents will not work with abacus. I am still not able to determine why some work and some don't. I don't have time to spend on additional document creation. I also had a deadline not show up on the DEADSOL report because it was coded slightly differently. This is major problem if minor coding error makes the deadline invisible.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

At the time I started my practice, Abacus gave me the best up front price and maintenance price. It was a cost decision, as well as I had used it before and knew the basics of how it worked and I could track cases and calendar deadlines.

Lauretta from Weinstein & Cohen, P.A.

Industry: Law Practice

Abacus Law Is an Excellent Software Program that Enables Users to Link Important Information

Abacus Law is an important tool that assists with making certain there are multiple ways o access and check information that has been entered. It allows for quick search methods due to various features. Last names care linked to matters, so a potential client file may be entered in names prior to being entered a client in the matters feature. Any entity or person associated with a case can be linked, also providing another method of cross referencing other people associated with an individual case. Linked emails provides another easy way to check emails sent regarding a specific client.

Pros

Once client information is entered, other information may be linked and is very helpful when looking up a memo, phone message , email etc. for each client. Once an appointment is scheduled, it also is linked to the events feature, so the program allows for multiple ways to check that important information is stores and is accessible.

Cons

At this time the features provided are working well to allow for ease of sending messages, linking client information and researching stored client information.

Michael from Schwartzberg & Luther, APC

Been with them for almost 10 years and each version gets better and better

Most important... CONSOLIDATION! Abacus Law integrated the case management, "tickler" by rule, forms, contacts, matter, ACCOUNTING AND BILLING, all into a single easy to use and learn package. Changes in one area and iterated throughout the software. We almost never and disparate or duplicate data. Well Done!

Pros

Ease of use, consistency in operation, great support. In nearly our entire use, different versions and our transition to the "cloud" last year, our up-time has been nearly 99%. I was worried about transitioning to APC (cloud), but the support and transition and setup was painless and well executed. Our employees barely noticed the difference, but for, the Remote Desktop link... Very well done!

Cons

There are a few very minor custom things, but overall, nothing worth mentioning. As I said, I have been a happy customer for about 10 years, seen the growing pains, and various upgraded and improvements, each being better than the previous. We've been quite pleased.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied June 2017

We appreciate your enthusiasm and thank you for your feedback! It has been a pleasure to serve you over the past decade.

Leigh from Ruthrford Law Frim

My experience with Abacus

Generally Abacus suits my purposes well. I cannot imagine the effort it would take to switch to another system, there is so much critical information in my system that has accumulated over the years and which I can, and do, access.

Pros

I have been using this software since 2000, I think. I don't know all the tricks, but to manage time and client information it is wonderful.

Cons

When not updated regularly it doesn't function as well. Sometimes updating can be a nightmare.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

I chose Abacus because it was recommended to me by other lawyers and it has well served my purposes.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

Because other lawyers were using it and liked it.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied July 2020

Hi Leigh! My name is Natalie and I'm on the Marketing Team at Abacus. I wanted to reach out and say thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear that AbacusLaw has been a great resource for you during this crazy time. I wanted to reach out to see if you would be interested in being one of our first customers to film a video review? We'd love to include you in this cool new project! Please let me know if you are interested! Thank you, Natalie

Sharenda from Edwards & Hunter

Abacus - a comprehensive program

Overall Abacus has saved me a tremendous amount of time. Prior to its use, we were using three programs to do the work of Abacus, which meant entering basic information in three different programs and inputting data from one program into another to run reports, do billing, etc. Abacus has saved us a great deal of time.

Pros

I like the fact that Abacus Law and Abacus Accounting work so well together. Everything integrates nicely which saves me a lot of time. I also like the fact that tech support is local (in San Diego), speaks English, and is (almost) always available.

Cons

Our software developed a "glitch" quite some time ago and neither tech support, nor the engineering staff, were able to resolve it. It's still there, and it keeps throwing me error messages, but the program works in spite of it. Our main complaint is that we would like to upgrade to the new version of Abacus, but it does not work offline, so we've had to stay with the older version. (Internet in our area of town goes down frequently, and our practice is very Abacus-dependent.)

E. ALLAN from E. Allan Tiller, PLLC

Longtime user very satisfied

My experience with Abacus has been great, so I'll very likely continue to use it until I retire, probably within the next ten years.

Pros

The close coordination of the client management software with the accounting software is very nice... I've used Abacus for close to eleven years and like it very much.

Cons

There are a few little quirks here and there, but not serious, and if I did a little more research or asked for help I could probably figure them out, like how to automatically put my letterhead on invoices printed from Abacus.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

Most recently when I considered alternatives to upgrade my old Abacus software, I concluded that the "new" Abacus software was easiest to use and did the best coordination of the accounting software with the practice software.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied March 2020

Hi E.Allan, Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We would love to feature you as a customer of ours if you are interested? Please let me know! Natalie Lara AbacusNext Marketing Team

Angela from Boyer & Boyer

Abacus makes accounting easy.

Pros

Abacus has everything we need for our daily functions and makes basic accounting easy. We can access our client's many different ways (i.e.: name, matter, ID). I love the way the top bar is set up. The icons are used daily. I can print out reports for the partner within seconds. Easy transfer of funds from one client to another.

Cons

Sometimes when updates are made, there are problems with the monthly billing and client payments. After inputting the time tickets, sometimes the program freezes up and we need to shut down the system a couple of times and even need to call customer services for help. Also, when printing the invoices, even though I put them in alpha order, when they print out, they print out numerically or even one time recently just printed out (255 bills) in no methodical way. The same thing happens when inputting client payments. Instead of allowing me to input what I want to input, if I mark an invoice or invoices.

Alisha from Ankers Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

We feel very supported with Abacus and enjoy glitch free work days 99% of the time.

It saves time and makes the coordination of tasks among staff more efficient. The database organization is simple to use and explore.

Pros

It is easy to learn and the customer service/software support people are very knowledgeable if something doesn't make sense. The software is very intuitive and saves lots of time. Saving time means getting more work done in a day. It is reasonably priced for the initial investment, and the support is a considerable value when softwares other than Abacus update and functionality changes. We moved our office 2 years ago, and taking Abacus along and getting us set up in our new location was EASY! Adding and replacing equipment has been seamless, like new PCs, phones, and/or laptops. The Abacus team is amazing!

Cons

Sometimes the updates come at the most inopportune times. It would be better if we could chose when to update things more in coordination with IT personnel for major updates.

Jennifer from Atchison, Barisone & Condotti, APC

AbacusLaw Review

Pros

I appreciate that the court rules are listed/referenced in the events. I have found the program fairly easy to use; however, other staff in the office have struggled with it over the years.

Cons

As stated above, several staff in my office have found the software confusing and difficult to use. I've found some court rules in the software program do not match current laws - most specifically within the local court rules.

Dominic from Chiariello & Chiariello

Abacus

Great case management solution. Makes practice automation much easier. I've been a user since 2006 because it works!

Pros

Abacuslaw is easy to use (even for lawyers), easy to setup and provides a central case management solution incorporating everything our practice needs from document generation and management, diary/calendar (rules-based features too to help with case workflow), email integration, etc. It is versatile enough to keep us on top of our litigation work (95%) of our practice, but we can also customize its features to handle our estates/real estate files. Keep up the good work.

Cons

I generally hate software that requires an ongoing subscription or nickels and dimes you for every added feature, but Abacuslaw is tolerable in that regard.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

More customizable than Amicus, more user friendly than Time Matters, less expensive than Saga

Sarah from Diane Anderson, Attorney at Law

Help received

To whom it may concern, I just had to take a moment to send an email to thank Dean for his invaluable, over and beyond customer service, he is a true asset to your company, and I hope that Abacus customer service management knows what a devoted, knowledgeable employee you have. I attended Dean's webinar on Mail Merge in Abacus on Wednesday on 12/16/2015, which was great, and a real informative webinar, that was well planned, easy to follow, and full of useful information. However, I am writing this email to acknowledge what Dean did for me afterwards. After the webinar, I had emailed Dean asking if he could help me create a query to generate a client list, (past, and current), that have an email address, with their phone number's and if he could help me make a excel spreadsheet with this information, which was not something my employer had paid for, but we desperately needed. She had been asking me to generate this list for the past two weeks, and despite my endless attempts, I could not figure out how to generate a query that would do this correctly. Within minutes Dean had generated a query, showed me how to use it, how to modify it, and how Abacus could assist our office in the future to generate letters, emails and help turn potential leads into paying clients. I was amazed, and so completely grateful, I joked with him that he single handily may have saved my job! I had to take this time to send this email because it is not often that I come across someone that is so good at their job, not to mention completely dedicated, with such excellent customer service skills. I will be recommending to the attorney I work for that we attend more webinars, and utilize Abacus and all its features for her practice, and as a tool to run a smooth, successful law firm. Again, thank you Dean, I cannot express my gratitude to you for going over and beyond to help me help my employer!!! Have a great holiday, and a Happy New Year!

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with details about your experience with Abacus. Our team is committed to providing the highest levels of customer service to our clients, and we are happy to hear that that was the service you received. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you much success!

Schawnne from Huntingdon House

The Best Legal Software

Our intention was to keep our law project as paperless as we could and AbacusLaw plays a big part in allowing us to achieve this goal.

Pros

What I like most about AbacusLaw is how user-friendly it is and how we were able to use it to keep the project organized on a daily basis. It is a complete package.

Cons

I think I liked everything about AbacusLaw. I cannot think of any problem that I had with the software.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

We went with AbacusLaw because of how the software offered a complete package at a price we could afford. It allowed us to accomplish our goals and did not hinder our work in anyway I can think of.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied January 2020

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review, Schawnne. We're glad AbacusLaw has helped your organization meet its goal of going paperless, and that you've found the product easy to use. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and the Capterra community! All the best, The team at AbacusNext

Brandie from Kash, Fedrigon Belanger, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Abacus Law has its ups and downs.

I do not think I would recommend it. I would change software but for the time consuming nature or changing billing software.

Pros

Adding billing entries to a client's account is easy and very user friendly.

Cons

There are issues with the accounting features, and sometimes adding a credit or correcting a mistake made in prior billing cycles compounds past issues.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

Time Matters kept crashing our system.

Caroline from Law Office of Caroline S. Earle, PLC

Industry: Law Practice

Abacus Law has grown with my business!

Exceptional. The software is useful, practical and designed specifically for attorneys. The customer service is unparalleled across the board. Fast, efficient, professional, knowledgeable. Always there, always helpful and always cheerful (no matter how many times I call!).

Pros

I love the format and the ease with which I can create new matters, organize my contacts and bill my matters. I started with AbacusLaw as a solo practitioner and have grown my firm to include two other attorneys and an admin. The attorneys are all networked in the cloud now, and Abacus was able to grow with me and provide additional support solutions for our small firm. The Abacus Accounting has given me great billing capacity and kept my accounts in order.

Cons

I have not found the forms functionality very accessible. I was an experienced attorney when I signed on with AbacusLaw, so this is not something that I particularly need.

July 2015

Bill from Robinson Legal

July 2015

Eight years and going strong

With 250,000 users they must be doing something right! I suspect that those of us without issues don't bother to comment. It makes sense that if you have had a problem then you squawk about it. I know I do! Our firm has been using this product for over eight years. In recommending it to another firm I came across these reviews. I could not disagree more. Like any system it takes some training. We hired an outside instructor to come in for two days to train. Once we got the basics down we grew with it. The nice feature it comes with is that every time you log in, it gives you tips for the day that expand your knowledge or remind you of something you may have fogotten. The features that I appreciate most are linking your emails from Outlook to the matters file. That is an enormous time saver. The notes file is likewise extremely useful in refreshing your memory on things that have transpired. Both come with a preview of the content similar to your email. It makes life easy and certain with the current forms embedded for civil matters and court forms. The home screen might not be as pretty as some but it is very simple to understand and use. Documents get scanned and saved to the matters file with ease. Overall there is nothing about our personal I jury cases I can't put my hands on quickly. And remotely when I am out of the office. Some have complained about customer service. I guess that is a universal complaint we all have with almost software company. But honestly, when our IT guy gets on the phone with them and they speak the same language, we have never had a problem. I could not run our firm without Abacus.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied December 2015

Hi Mr. Robinson, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and thank you for being one of our valued clients. With over 30 years of service, we¿ve learned from our most successful clients that it takes much more than a simple software product to build and grow a successful Law Firm. We value your insight, and are committed to providing all of our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Best, The Abacus Team

Timothy from Marble Law Office, P.C.

Abacus Law with APC lets me work anywhere with complete control of my office and my cases.

Pros

With APC I can work from home in the morning, go to the office and log in again right where I left off without having to maintain expensive servers. Tech support has been very responsive and always available whenever we have a problem, which is not very often. The features of Abacus Law are completely customizable to suit the needs of my practice. There are lots of great tutorials and other online resources to help us get the most from Abacus Law.

Cons

We had used Amicus Attorney for many years but wanted a full featured program that integrated case management with accounting. The transition to Abacus Law was not as easy as I had hoped and took a considerable amount of time. However, the transition team was great to work with and stayed with the project until they were able to successfully convert my data. Also, compared to Amicus, the user interface with Abacus Law is not as intuitive and has a bit of a learning curve. However, overall it is a more robust and feature rich product.

Candice from County Counsel

Industry: Law Practice

AbacusLaw is a essential tool for Offices

My over all experience has been great. I can see the work staff on a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule and assign task with ease.

Pros

The ease of use for this software makes it a wonderful program to use with our company.

Cons

Too many steps to edit some entries, and also if someone adds a change to the schedule, you may not see the update quick. You have to refresh the program and maybe if there was a flashing icon that lets you know there was a change in the schedule it may be easier to see it.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied July 2020

Hi Candice! My name is Natalie and I'm on the Marketing Team at Abacus. I wanted to reach out and say thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear that AbacusLaw has been a great resource for you during this crazy time. I wanted to reach out to see if you would be interested in being one of our first customers to film a video review? We'd love to include you in this cool new project! Please let me know if you are interested! Thank you, Natalie

Carmen from Butash & Donovan, LLC

Abacus & Personal Injury

Overall it has the potential to meet all of our needs.

Pros

It is inclusive to different areas of law.

Cons

Personal Injury. We need a system that is easier to customize and it is actually pertinent to Fl Personal Injury pre-suit cases.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

It offered a system that could support personal injury, criminal and family law.

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

to have a cloud based server

Valerie from Kuhs & Parker

AbacusLaw Review

We have used AbacusLaw for at least the 18 years I have been employed and are very satisfied with the product. Helps to keep our office on top of calendaring events for our litigation cases, i.e., meetings, discovery deadlines, depositions and trials.

Pros

I work for a small firm, so we only using the calendaring system. I do like the ease of going into the calendar and just clicking on a particular day to enter my calendar event. I especially like the software for preparing trial calendars.

Cons

When I print my weekly calendar and there is a holiday that week, I have to remove "holiday" in order to print the full information for the holiday event (i.e., Court and Office Closed), otherwise it cuts it off. Once I print the calendar I have to go back in to add the holiday back, so it will continue to show up for the following year. Not a major problem, just a little inconvenient.

Judith from Daly Family Law Firm

Industry: Law Practice

I have used Abacus for over 10 years, and have found it to be extremely intuitive to use.

I am a very effective in my billing using this software.

Pros

When using Abacus to manage cases, the process is as simple as doing the client work, then billing the time, and finally creating an event to either follow up on what was done, to perform an additional task, or to appear in court on a specific date. I can then move from client to client, not have to remember anything because I will always know the exact status of each client's matter. And if a client calls, I don't have to pull a file to update them on the status of their matter.

Cons

With the most recent version we have had an unusual number of things that are not working the same way they worked prior to the update. While the support staff seems capable, they are on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast, so I end up staying at the end of the day to resolve issues.

Yolanda from Arce Law Office PLLC

Disappointing

Forced upgrade after ten years with Amicus Small Firm and Now have glitches tech support can't resolve. Am considering legal action for breach of contract. So dissatisfied. Loved my Amicus Small Firm but the upgrade has compromised our work. Worse part is the boilerplate response to unsolved problems.

Pros

Repeating events feature.

Cons

Too many to state all. The worst are lack of knowledgeable technicians and when the issue is referred to upper techs calls are at odd hours and you call back to a voicemail. There are glitches with the time stamp, printing reports, adding on going notes etc.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied April 2017

Hi Yolanda, Providing our clients with best-in-class software and support is vitally important for us, and we're thankful you took the time to write this review. Our team will be reaching out to you shortly to better understand and address the issues you are facing.

Sharon from Bugg Wolf PA

Industry: Law Practice

Essentially a very good product!

Generally, Abacus is a very good program for our needs. We are able to keep client/matter information in one location that can be accessed by everyone offsite. Recently, I was involved in a trial in Federal Court and it was very helpful to be able to access our file without delay.

Pros

Generally Abacus Private Cloud is easy to use and is fairly intuitive to move around. Setting up new files, adding and/or linking appropriate parties/individuals, attaching emails are all very simple.

Cons

Fairly frequently the system slows down such that you type ahead of the action on the screen. This can be frustrating and annoying. When updates are made, we are not notified of the changes and must learn how to use or work around those changes. Sometimes it feels as if changes are made without talking with users to see if the change will help or hurt.