(2,166)

2,166

(1,349)

1,349

• Pros

• "This program has been easy to learn and saves me a ton of time. It is very organized and gets me paid faster with customers. Great program!"

• "I love the ease of use of this program. I also really appreciate that I can pay most of my taxes by pressing a simple button. Their customer service is exceptional most of the time."

• "I love the ease of use. The menu is really comprehensive and easy to find what I'm looking for."

• Cons

• "Some things still need a bit of development, like their banking integrations, these are sometimes troublesome to set up, but the support via online chat helps with that pretty quick."

• "It's not particularly intuitive and although the customer support is good it's not particularly easy to set up and use "

• "It can be a bit clunky at times (a few seconds to load new pages), but the desktop application through Quickbooks online seems to solve this issue. "

Browse Quickbooks Online Reviews

Joshua from Lake City Inspections LLC

It's The Standard, But Not Because It's The Best

Overall, we still use it because it's the best option for our accountant and it integrates well with our business management software. However, if another stable option presented itself with a similar feature set but providing a better client experience I would absolutely consider moving to another product.

Pros

The biggest pro of Quickbooks is that your accountant is going to be very familiar with it. The second biggest pro is that it's probably going to be integrated with whatever software you use to manage your business.

Cons

The software can be quite "buggy" at times, adjusting options randomly with no explanation. Not only this, but it can be difficult to get certain features to even work. For example, the T-Sheets integrations never exported our employee information over, which defeated the purpose of using T-Sheets versus another time tracker. Neither the Quickbooks nor T-Sheets customer support could ever find out why this was not working. On the subject of Quickbooks customer support, they don't seem to be very well educated in the software itself. The times I've had to contact them, they were not very helpful and didn't seem to have any more knowledge of the product than I had.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

It's still the standard option for accountants and integrates with everything we need.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Needed a more extensive feature set and something an accountant could access remotely

Mike from Spectrum Creative Interiors

Makes daily financial task super easy

QBO is a daily workhorse for me. Payroll is a breeze with direct deposit, reconciling now takes 2 seconds because of the bank feed, and it's easier to stay on top of my accounts and balances.

Pros

The integration with banking transactions is what I like the most about QBO. It makes daily entering so easy. The bank feed allows me to add transactions in real time to proper accounts. I don't need to remember to manually create expenses after making payments because I know it will be there tomorrow in QBO for me to add.

Cons

What I like least about QBO, is the inability to go back on mistakes the same way I could with the manual desktop version. In Quickbooks Desktop, I could easily change things like payroll or tax transactions if I made a mistake in the original entry. But with QBO, there are a lot of times I have to reach out to support to get them make changes in the back end.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

I chose QBO because Intuit was able to migrate my Quickbooks Desktop company to Quickbooks Online very easy.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Wanted to be able to access my books anywhere my accountant suggested it.

Imran from Discount Rags

Quickbooks and Intuit are no longer the company they used to be. BEWARE.

Sad to see a company stop caring about their customers and look at how they can charge the customer more at every turn. Loyal customers like myself have helped support this company during its growth and we have stuck by Quickbooks during its growth and its challenges but now they are too big and they do not care about customers. We have to make a stand and support another company in hopes they will be better.

Cons

I have been using Quickbooks for over 10 years. I pay for a yearly subscription to update my software to the newest version, payroll software and pro-adviser support which Quickbooks themselves sold to me. Now when I have a problem, they tell me my files are corrupted. Also, they say I corrupted the files and it was not their system even though the files are on a secure server only running Quickbooks. Instead of fixing the problem their technical team wants to point fingers and is trying to charge me for more support. They do not care about the customer. They only want your money, and in today's world there are too many other options with companies who care about their bottom line AND THEIR CUSTOMERS. Also, I failed to mention their system did not update for the last few years since 2014 to the newer versions as it was supposed to and they tell me that is my fault as well but they gladly charged me every year for the new versions. I am a loyal quickbooks customer who uses both their online version and their desktop versions for over 20+ companies. This year I am transitioning every single company out of Quickbooks to a company that actually stands behind their product rather than points fingers and is always trying to get more money even after I purchased additional support which they advised me to buy.

Kurt from Abra Marketing

I Love the Access I have with Quickbooks Online

As I already said, I love the direct access to my numbers and the added reporting that has allowed me to better run my company by quickly getting insights I need. It's a lot easier for customers to pay online and I'm finding more and more of the moving that direction vs. sending in checks, so it's good that we are set up in this way now.

Pros

I started using desktop Quickbooks back in 2000 right after I first started the company. As a single-person company at first, I got used to being in the books almost every day. As we grew we added an in-house Bookkeeper. A few years ago I relocated the company to a different area and we kept our Bookkeeper who stayed in the original area. I really missed having direct access to the numbers so last year I switch to Quickbooks Online and I love it. In addition to having direct access to the numbers I need, it has a lot of other functionality and reporting that I really like. It's also great for clients to easily pay the invoices online. It's making a night and day difference. Support has been great as well.

Cons

It's definitely very expensive to be paying a pretty high fee every month - especially compared to the desktop version where we bought it and were good for years to come. It's definitely worth it but I'd be more of an evangelist if the pricing was a little easier on the pocket book.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Switched from Desktop since our Bookkeeping is remote so I could get direct access to the company's financees.

Sheri from Saunders O'Dell PA

Pricey but worth it

There is tons of information on the internet on how to do anything you want to do. I've been using QuickBooks for over 30 years and while I still love the desktop for my personal use, the online version makes it so easy for a business to use.

Pros

It can be used from the basic user to the most experienced. Most of our clients use only half of what it can do. You have to know what features you want to be able to use it fully

Cons

Cost and multi-company discount. Integration with other products is not as seamless as I would like.

experience and better quality

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

it's the more efficient way to handle a business

Brian from First Baptist Church of Carl Junction

Quickbooks Online Review

Pros

Quickbooks Online is very easy to use and at an affordable price point for many small and non-profit businesses. Since it is cloud-based, I can access it from any computer, at home or the office. It is sleek and easy to find what I'm looking.

Cons

Since it is a cloud-based software, it is dependent on a reliable internet connection. It is also missing some reporting features compared to the full desktop version of quickbooks.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

We were already using quickbooks so it was easy to import information.

Mary from A & C Child Care LLC

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Have used Quickbooks for years.

We recently signed up for automated taxes and tax forms. It's free with the package we use. It makes your 941 tax payments automatically and also files your quarterly and annual forms. So easy!!

Pros

This software covers it all. From accounts payable, receivable and payroll. You can also attach invoices, which makes my life paper free!

Cons

Although change is necessary, sometimes the changes the software makes just makes the already known processes a little different. This changes the work flow. There is a feedback feature, that I'm not sure how well it works or how much the information is weighed out. I think the software can be a bit pricey.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

We were tired of having to pay to update the software every 2 years just to be able to use the tax tables. Also, it was important to be able to access the file from different locations.

Julie from Julie Hanan Design

The only accounting software you need

Overall, there is also more of a learning curve when transitioning to the online but in the end, the benefits and ease of use outweigh the cons. Highly recommend.

Pros

I love being able to access my finances from any location via the internet. Sending invoices is a breeze through the web or app as well!

Cons

There are some different features that are available on the online version vs the desktop version. The desktop version allows you to have more customized invoices with custom fields and email templates. The bank download also stalls fairly often. Not sure if this is something to do with the bank or if it is on the QB side.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Wanted something that would be easier to access from multiple locations

Matthew from JBMC Media, LLC

Industry: Publishing

Easy to use across platforms

For a standard, fairly straightforward business like mine, QB is an easy answer to which accounting software I chose to use.

Pros

QuickBooks is the industry standard, and it's easy to use on a laptop or mobile device. Finding answers to your questions is pretty simple, either through their integrated help section or through online forums...enough people use it that the forums usually help you find an answer to your question, no matter how obscure. It easily connects to your external bank accounts, credit cards, and mobile payment services like PayPal, too. As a publisher, I use a CRM that integrates easily with QuickBooks. I handle invoicing and payments through my CRM, and with the click of a button, everything is sent to my QB account. Makes it very seamless and easy.

Cons

The transaction rates are a little higher than I would like, so I don't use QB for processing credit card payments. Other than that, for my needs as a small publisher, it fits the bill.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

The fact that they are well established and universally known among all my clients.

Claire from The Loaf

Easy to integrate and use

We've been using it for years - it keeps us on track and is great from knowing where we are week-to-week, to when it comes to year end financial reporting.

Pros

We love the ease of reporting in Quickbooks online and how easily it integrates with our other systems.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like - it works really well for us.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Going to the online version means I can process payroll, do billing and bookkeeping even when I'm away from work. I love the flexibility of that.

Kristen from Vaal'bara Historical Society

Industry: Writing and Editing

A little outdated, but still reliable software workhorse

There's not much I can say in addition to what I've said in the above sections. I've been using QuickBooks for around 10 years, both for my own business as well as when working for other small businesses in the past, and it's been both a joy and a pain in the butt at times. Overall, I'd still highly recommend QuickBooks as the go-to software for most businesses, because it's just so versatile and has a lot of great features. However, I'd highly recommend watching a few videos or even taking a class or two before using some of the more complex features. Otherwise, you're bound to make one small mistake that acts like a parasitic vine, weaving and entangling its way into the rest of your account features, and becoming a bit of pain to unravel.

Pros

Because QuickBooks has been around for so long, there are tons of resources for information regarding how to use the software most effectively, and how to troubleshoot particularly strange issues that may arise. I appreciate that QuickBooks can be used for a business of almost any size, whether you're running a small business from home, or a multi-million dollar per year construction company. There are plenty of options for things like inventory management, accounts payable/receivable, billing/invoicing, tax scheduling, etc. The options are nearly endless, and (most) of them are reasonable easy to figure out with a little experience and know-how.

Cons

Because QuickBooks was created so long ago, some of their features continually fall behind the times. They're always just one step behind technological innovation, and their software isn't always the most user-friendly. I think it may be a symptom of the software being designed by tax-minded individuals, who tend to think wildly differently from the majority of people who are going to use this software. Some of the features are difficult to find or use, the user-interface is a bit clunky, the software can be a bit slow at times, and there's a steep learning curve for some of the more advanced features.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

No alternatives were considered or used before QuickBooks. It's the most widely-know and widely-used, and I'm familiar enough with it after 10 years that I haven't actually considered switching to a new product.

Julianna from BSIT LLC

QuickBooks Great for General Operations

We are able to keep a live time view of the company's financials every day. Even when we cut vendor checks and are waiting for them to be cashed, our QB's bank already shows our actual available bank amount with the amounts already deducted. This way we know what we have to spend elsewhere without worrying if there is enough to cover other reoccurring expenses.

Pros

The ease of adding vendors and customers is great. Once you iron out the how to of the invoice templates they can be very useful to switch what is needed on each invoice per customer. The general ledger allows you to copy previous transactions which is useful for reoccurring transactions such as Payroll or loan payments. All you have to do is edit the date and transaction amounts (if yours change ie. Interest and principal amounts) and save. It keeps you from having to re-select accounts each time which is a huge time saver. Reports are useful such as PNL, Balance Sheet, AP and AR. It allows you to see where you may need to break out different accounts or where some can be combined for a better financial company overview.

Cons

We did expierence an isolated incident where we printed checks but the system did not record the money paid for each vendor. But still marked the invoices selected for each vendor as paid. It took some time to figure out that was the issue, which was a bit frustrating. I had to go back into every vendor and invoice to reapply the amount paid so our AP and business bank account were accurate again. Not sure why this occured but as I said it happened once and we were able to iron it out. I also would say under FILE and Forms it would be nice to have this under reports so there is one place to print out what you want. The forms section is very small and a bit confusing on the descriptions of what your looking to print. For example if I want to print a list of all the checks or invoices that I just paid/printed checks for...I always forget exactly where to go. Same for if I need to print a complete list of invoices paid on a check for a vendor as it was to long to print on the check reference voucher. I always have to play around to remember where I got it the first time.

Tosif from ATCO CARRIER INC

QUICKBOOKS for INVOICING

Overall quickbooks is a good tool for small business to track expenses, invoice customers and track the invoices received. You can even email and customize invoices right from the software.

Pros

Quicksbooks is a great software for the small busineess. It allows for invoicing customers in an easy way. If you are out of the limit for the invoices, you can make a small purchase and make it online and can access it from anywhere and everywhere from the tablet, pc or phone. It is a real easy way for tracking the invoices and marking them paid with accounts receivable. It also allows for digital time card where you can record the employees time of in and out. Great software and easy to learn.

Cons

The things you want to consider improving the software is it should give easy ways for tracking the accounts paid and invoices paid by the customer. Everything else looks pretty decent.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Quickbooks is easy to use than any other software. As it can be use with or without internet. For invoices online you need internet to access your files and folders. With quickbooks you can backup your data and use it anywhere from any device like phone, tablet and pc.

Charlee from The Hello House LLC

Thorough, organized bookkeeping software with plenty of features

Overall, Quickbooks has been very valuable to my business, easy to use for both clients and myself, and organized in terms of layout and use. However, I wish the fees charged for processing payments were lower.

Pros

For my business, I send monthly invoices, so Quickbooks' invoicing feature and the ability to accept all kinds of payments is a must for my business. I find the invoices simple to create, and they look professional and attractive on the customer's end. I also like that I am able to customize the invoice template easily so that I can modify how it appears to the customer. My clients have not had any problems paying through Quickbooks' invoices, and most of them actually prefer to pay this way rather than through other methods such as cash or checks. I like that I am able to select or deselect payment methods for each individual customer. Quickbooks' system has simplified my payment process and my clients are satisfied. I use the Quickbooks Online feature of adding my accountant to my account for no additional cost, and I like this feature because if I have any problems or questions, I don't have to try to explain in detail each concern; instead, my accountant can just log into my account and view any discrepancies herself. This has been a lifesaver on multiple occasions. Another feature I like is the ease of use with categorizing bank transactions and expenses. Quickbooks suggests categories and automatically matches most transactions that it estimates are paid invoices. They are correct the majority of the time, and this makes matching payments to invoices a breeze. I also like the records that Quickbooks makes, such as records that show my profit and loss by month.

Cons

While Quickbooks is very critical to my business and makes bookkeeping easy for me, I do find the payment processing fees a bit expensive. I suppose the fees are on par with other payment processing systems; however, at the end of the month, it is a bit surprising to see how quickly all of the individual payment fees add up on top of the $25 I pay each month to have Quickbooks Online. My complaint about this software would definitely be the fees associated with payments my customers make through Quickbooks.

Lisa from Boogles

QBO helps me to manage

My overall experience with the software has been overhwelmingly positive. I can use it to bill clients, attach timesheets, run payroll, connect to the bank and reconcile, and also connect the credit card to the system. It's been really handy.

Pros

I like the fact that payroll is integrated, I love the automated reporting (saves me having to remember to send reports), I like that you can upload documents to it, that you can now send in / attach receipts to it, and that you can do quite detailed reporting and drill down on numbers easily, that you can lock the records to stop people going back in and changing anything by mistake, and that reports can be by classes, so you can monitor spending and income by 'class' / project. I like the reporting functionality and the ease of use.

Cons

I'd like the receipt capturing software to be a bit better (its basic at the moment, but I'm sure it'll improve as it was only a feature added this year), I don't like the fact that although my paypal links, (I have multi currency within paypal) and this doesn't seem to reflect well within the software.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

I made the switch as I could see that things were moving more online, and the thing with the desktop was that you could mistakenly work on the wrong version if you hadn't downloaded the latest backup. It was much more convenient to be able to log on from anywhere, plus when it started to support payroll - that was it. It became everything we needed to run the accounts from one place.

Taylor from TransParent

Overall a great choice for nonprofits

Overall I am very pleased by my experience with QBO. While I struggled with initial implementation, it has very much streamlined financial management once I figured out how to more efficiently utilize the software. The flexibility of using QBO through my browser of software download is an immensely important feature that I cannot overstate - since my position is volunteer/unpaid, if I ever leave the organization they cannot be tied to a software downloaded on my personal laptop. Plus its just nice to know that I have access anywhere I need, regardless.

Pros

QBO has made it so much easier to stay on top of finances for the nonprofit I work with. It's so nice to add bills for reimbursement of expenses to stay on top of when the expense occurred as well as when the reimbursement check was written vs deposited. Automatic linking to my bank account and to paypal is a lifesaver. I don't know what I would do without locations or being able to use classes for fund reporting/functional expenses.

Cons

There was definitely a steep learning curve, and I've just had to accept that some of the transactions I was doing when I first started weren't done in the most 'ideal' way. I'm adding historical finances for 8 years and struggling with handling inventory in particular, since I'm both trying to keep up with current purchases/sales and build the historical financial statements. While the QBO online forum is generally helpful for troubleshooting issues, sometimes I run into features that just aren't available on QBO and only on QuickBooks desktop which is incredibly frustrating when I know how useful it would be.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

QBO is just more of an industry standard. I felt that there would be more help available/issues would have been better fixed in the past since its usage is so widespread.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

We were practically unable to do any reasonable financial analysis. The historical treasurers used the cash method without breaking out actual expenses rather than reimbursement checks, so we lost so much detail that I'm now trying to recreate.

Great for Small Business Owners

Their customer service line has been a huge help with any questions that I have and has made it possible for me to implement and use this software. Without it, I'm not sure that I would be able to fully utilize QuickBooks online. Overall, I've had a positive experience with this product and would buy it again

Pros

We like that we can access QuickBooks from any computer now rather than it simply being on one desktop. The most useful part of this software is knowing that I am compliant in the areas that I need to be as far as payroll goes. I was essentially self taught to do our books and QuickBooks Online made it easy for me to make sure that we were legal in our payroll process and helped me to identify mistakes I had made.

Cons

It is a lot cleaner and the interface is more simple than desktop but sometimes I feel that the functionality is not as good as the desktop version. QuickBooks online does not communicate with Skyworks, an autodealer software, very well and that has been frustrating to have to input the data twice. We are considering moving to a different software for auto dealers and I am anxious to see if it will be able to pull the data into QuickBooks better.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

We made the switch to see if the new software would communicate better with our auto dealer software and also to make sure that everything was online so that it would be saved in a cloud. There were many times that our computers would crash and the data would not be saved so we would have to input all of the entries again which was very time consuming and frustrating. QuickBooks Online has really helped with this problem.

Tara from North Bay Bookkeeping Services

QuickBooks Online has changed my life

QBO has been life-changing for me and my practice. I have clients all over the country, without QBO is could not have grown my business at the same rate.

Pros

I love the QBO eco-system. The eco-system allows me to offer more resources and solutions to my clients. QBO doesn't have to do it all for all industries, it just has to partner with 3rd party app developers that are specialists in their industries.

Cons

There is a lack of communication from Intuit / QuickBooks. For example, if a user can't access their company file, they don't know if it's a QuickBooks issue, an internet issue, a browser issue or user error. I wish QuickBooks would send an email that says QBO is down for an hour. And if a function is not working, let us know, keep us informed of progress made.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

The eco-system and name recognition.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

I needed/wanted to offer my clients remote support and more options.

Janet from OMNI ACCOUNTING AND TAX INC.

A must-have for business owners

The auto-bank download is a must-have in any tax software. The Desktop version requires some steps to manually visit the bank for the download but can be done. QBO is a solid software for small businesses.

Pros

Good tutorials available, auto-banking transaction download (though it does not work for some banks or credit unions in BC) is a great feature, easy to MATCH or TRANSFER funds. Easy to set up bills and to invoice out of the program.

Cons

A little bit glitchy - sometimes fields get lost, or report titles get shifted and cut-off. Multi-currency requires the user to go online externally to grab exchange rates. It's confusing to issue customer refunds. The tax module (GST, PST) works okay. Bank reconciliations are difficult when there's anything done out of the ordinary, whereas a manual reconciliation would get the job done quicker.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Sage does not have free access for accountants and bookkeepers, so I do not recommend that program since I have not had the opportunity to try it or access my client's books with it. I've used Wave (free) and while it does download from the bank, the information is not as comprehensive and it does not reconcile easily with the GL. FreshBooks is highly not recommended for business who need double-entry accounting (ie. would be useful only with self-employed persons who do not need a balance sheet). For these reasons, I recommend QBO for small businesses.

Quickbooks Online has changed our whole model

Pros

Quickbooks online has allowed our organization to update, modernize, and change the way we approach our finances. Within a few months, we moved from a fairly archaic book keeping system to one that is completely modernized, online, and easier to use. Our whole team has saved time and frustration after making the change to QBO. Changing to Quickbooks online has helped us to improve our record-keeping, issue payments faster, made it easier for us to prepare for an annual audit, and provides many different options for planning, budgeting and reporting for a Board of Directors. With a small team, we are very appeciative of the Help features and online support available.

Cons

The only issue I have run into so far with Quickbooks Online is that there is a limit to the number of automatic reports that can be generated. For example, we would love to have the option to pull a variance report automatically from our records. Luckily, Quickbooks Online does provide you the features needed to build custom reports - so we got what we needed with a little bit of work.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

We chose Quickbooks online because it offered us the best mix of price, functionality, user support, and financial management. With a small team with limited financial knowledge, we felt that Quickbooks Online offered us the most for our limited budget.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

We made the switch from Quickbooks Non-Profit to Quickboks Online as our operations began to grow and develop. We are a small nonprofit with one physical location, but often have people working from all over the country. By switching to Quickbooks Online, we were able to easily collaborate nationally, bring in a remote bookkeeper to help us grow, and manage all of our financial data digitally - rather than relying on paper copies in a single office.

Phil from Diamond Computer Incorporated

A constantly moving target, but works well for basic SB accounting needs...

We initially moved from QuickBooks Pro Desktop to the Online version to allow for our new Online Service Management System (RazorSync) to easily export invoices into QB for processing. In that regard, QB Online has worked well and met expectations. It's obviously an evolving product and there have been many changes to it over the time we've been on the service; some good, some not-so-much. The reporting module is very limited and unless one of the canned reports is close to what you want it's a struggle to obtain some information in a format that's useful. All those issues aside however it's been a good solution for our company and we expect we'll continue to use it.

Pros

It's wonderful to have access to our accounting system from any Internet-connected device. Integration with our Service Management System (RazorSync) has allowed us to turn Service Orders into invoices and send them via QuickBooks Online quickly and easily, which has absolutely improved how quickly we get paid on jobs. The Payroll module makes it easy to pay our employees and calculate the necessary withholding and taxes due.

Cons

The reports in the Online version are clunky and horribly limited. Recently Intuit modified what was included in the package we were in and limited the number of accounts we're allowed to have in the Chart of Accounts without paying a higher fee, so we're stuck not being able to add new accounts unless we want to go to the "next tier". Last year we needed to reprint some older tax forms that weren't showing up so we were forced to contact support for assistance. We finally got what we needed done but it took contacting two different support reps as the first one obviously wasn't familiar with the product and made changes to our accounting data that had to then be fixed by the second rep.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Integration with our new Hosted Service Management System (RazorSync).

Gloria from A Greener Clean LLC

Perfect for small business

Quickbooks is great because I don't have a pile of receipts to type in. I can upload my transactions directly from my bank and code them as they are uploaded. I use it for tracking income and expenses, sending invoices and running reports. I love the payroll function which saves me money because I don't have to pay the accountant to file my tax documents.

Pros

I like being able to use the online service where I can log in anywhere I have internet access. This gives me the option to work remotely.

Cons

The banking function is good, but it takes several days to sync up to my online banking balance (doesn't show charges until they are posting, and doesnt download pending ones)

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

It was a great all in one product at a price that fit my budget

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

My accountant suggested I use Quickbooks because they have capability to file state and federal forms.

Response from Intuit

Replied November 2019

Hi there, Gloria. We know managing a business doesn't always happen behind a desk. It's great to hear you've been able to easily complete accounting tasks while on the go. You can count on us to have your back for years to come! To find out more about updating your bank feeds in QuickBooks, we recommend this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/change-bank-account/how-to-manually-update-bank-accounts/00/186436 Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Dan from Triangle Apartment Association

Great Product for Small Businesses

Our experience has overall been very good. The price is very reasonable and has made things easier to use. Also, it has saved our company a lot of time and made things very efficient.

Pros

I like how easy the product is to use. I find it very easy to navigate and figure out how to use different parts of the software. Also, I like that they are continuing to roll out new updates and features. For instance, they just rolled out a feature where they will automatically send out past due notice. This has helped save a lot of time and improved our AR drastically. I think all in all, it has a lot to like about the product.

Cons

I think the reporting can improve a lot. They do have Fathom reporting, but that seems hard to use. I would like for more straight forward reporting that is easier to use. I think their customer service could also improve. Whenever I have a questions, they always provide an answer, but it is not much help. It seems like they need more qualified individuals to help out with any questions you have.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

What had just purchased a new database system and QuickBooks Online interacts with that in real time. Before, we were having to double entry every one of our invoices. This has helped saved time drastically and made our processes a lot more efficient.

Steve from Foundations Decor

Great where fits - might leave you looking for more

Moved from QB Desktop. Love having access where-ever and multiple people able to access it. QBO is much less feature rich than QBD. But, with QBD, you have to either log into a server, or remote desktop. It's stuck in the 90's. So, to make it even work, we had to get a plugin to manage our inventory and orders. If QB Desktop version would move online, it would definitely be a 30 year leap back to the present.

Pros

Quickbooks is easy to use, widely known, and priced affordably. Good for a small business. Having it online was a necessity. Having it link to bank accounts so smoothly is nice.

Cons

If it's not the QB way, you have NO WAY. They are not interested in helping with any needs of YOUR business. If your business doesn't fit into THEIR way, too bad. But, overall, they have a good program that fits most of your business needs. i.e. If you want sales orders and inventory management - you might as well be asking a rock. i.e. If you want to use your own credit card processor, they will force extra steps on you and take away features and functionality.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Neither Zoho or Xero were able to handle orders, backorders (purchase or sales), and inventory correctly. So, we had to go with QBO and a plugin.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Needed and online version.

Robin from The Digital Marketing People

Quickbooks Serves It's Purpose

It's a somewhat love-hate relationship I have with Quickbooks. Love more so though. I have gotten used to a lot of Quickbooks' quirks now. It was a difficult go to get started to get things set up but I had support. I've been using Quickbooks for a few years now. I like how clean and organized invoices look for clients and how I can customize them and emails. I appreciate recurring invoices that help to avoid user error on consistency in repeat services and in sending invoices on time.

Pros

I like the ability to customize how invoices and emails look. I appreciate the ability we had to import our clients' details and past invoices when we started up with Quickbooks. The plethora of reports and customizable reports are very useful. I also appreciate being able to process payments through Quickbooks. The search ability is decent helpful in looking for specific invoices, amounts, or other specific data.

Cons

It was quite a challenge to get everything up and going when we started with Quickbooks There are some features that are limited and seem to operate oddly, such as deleting some clients vs marking some as inactive. If I have completed services with certain clients, I want to keep their data, but mark them inactive. When I mark them as inactive, the system puts them in a state of "deleted", which makes me very concerned when I see that. I don't want to lose their data. Also, some duplicates of clients have been created or clients never started services with us. So that data was just bloating the system and a bit confusing sometimes. Those particular clients would be good to actually fully delete them. I've run into processes that can be very confusing. Luckily my accountant is able to help me through the challenges.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Our new accountant uses Quickbooks for the full set of services we needed so we needed to switch over to Quickbooks.

Response from Intuit

Replied October 2019

Hi there, Robin. It's great to hear you've enjoyed using QuickBooks to customize reports, process payments, and manage many other accounting elements. You can continue to count on us to help lighten the work load for years to come! We recommend our video tutorials to expand your knowledge of features and work flows in your account (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/). Additionally, the following article provides a detailed explanation of making clients inactive in your account (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/configure-products/make-a-customer-inactive-and-then-active/00/186156). We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Tim from Pure Word Church

Quickbooks Organizes Our Church's Finances

QuickBooks has made the financial experience for our church so much easier. It's super easy to create reports for board meetings and see where you are financially.

Pros

I love how it connects to your bank account and transfers all of the transactions to it. Being able to categorize every transaction makes things so much easier. No need to type everything in manually! Reconciling is a breeze!

Cons

There's a huge learning curve for this software. However, they have great customer support. In the beginning, I had to stay on the phone with them for a long time to learn how to use it. Sometimes, customer support doesn't know how to use the software specifically for your needs, but they usually do a great job!

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Excel is not the best financial software!

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2019

You've made our day, Tim! It's great to know that QuickBooks has been a helpful and easy to use tool to manage your church's finances. You can continue to rely on us for all of your bookkeeping tasks, like transaction categorization and reconciling. To stay ahead of the learning curve, we recommend checking out our video tutorials (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/). Additionally, the Community is a great space to visit to receive support (https://community.intuit.com/). We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Sarah from EVB

Quickbooks offers an elegant handling of non-profits

From quickbooks we have liked a lot of functions. Among them are the fact of being able to manage accounting projects (with billing system included) and be able to manage payroll. In this sense, you can even create invoices, which is convenient. The negotiation process facilitated by quickbooks has turned out to be something wonderful. It does not take long, and they are flexible with the terms of service. The display demonstrated by the capacity of quickbooks has turned out to be surprising in all the occasions in which we have used it. Is very large. The quickbooks sales team was responsible for responding adequately to all our doubts about the use of the service. Respond quickly to the needs of customers.

Pros

Your invoice templates are very customizable. It is good for keeping the accounts of non-profit organizations, because it has tools for both bank reconciliation and fund accounting. Quickbooks offers a good system of payroll transfers, very stable. Quickbooks has helped us a lot with the management of resource accounting throughout our history as a business. It is ideal when it comes to organizing economically, and to put together budgets. Its integration with the Microsoft Outlook platform is recommended.

Cons

The platform does not allow managing sales forecasts, or managing human resources. In this area there is no tracking system for absences, wage garnishments, and unforeseen expenses billing. Neither can you process payments, taxes, or fixed assets. Does not have a treasury management function.

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2019

Great review, Sarah! We love knowing that you've enjoyed using QuickBooks to complete so many tasks for your organization. You can count on us to be there for all of your accounting needs for years to come. We recommend checking out our Blog to find out more about ways we're working to improve (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv). Additionally, this article provides details on setting up wage garnishments (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/process-payroll/setting-up-a-wage-garnishment/01/370809#M7725). Lastly, we invite you to take a look at the following link to find out more about processing payments in your QuickBooks account (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/merchant-services/process-payments-in-the-merchant-service-center/00/186106). Cheering you to continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Scott from Maryland Estate Treasures

The proverbial 800 pound gorilla still works!

QBO is the only one with the complete package that includes the ability to write and track checks. Since my business is simple, I need a lighter, "for dummies" mode that could remove a lot of clutter when it is not necessary. As a consignment business, I use software that is specific to the industry. It keeps all of the data I need to meet regulations. For QBO, a payment is a simple transaction. I wish the system could be lighter and less cluttered.​

Pros

Aside from keeping things in order, it allows someone with no accounting experience to do the basic bookkeeping activities, produce reports, and keep up with the finances. I like that it will connect with the bank and download activities! Best of all, it will print checks!

Cons

Connection with the bank can be flakey, depending on the bank. You have to watch the activity because QB does not tell you if there are problems. It should provide an option to warn you when it could not contact the bank overnight. Also, it is very difficult to use the check lineup processes. For some reason, I cannot get the check printing to line up properly and the tools they give do not work well.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

In my business, the law requires that I pay clients with checks or store credit. I need the ability to write checks and have them tracked in the accounting software. QBO is the only package I found that can write checks.

Lynn from Buskey Law Offices

Industry: Law Practice

Almost flawless functionality

My experience with Quickbooks has been great overall. Have had a few glitches now and again, but (knock wood) it's been working fine for years now. I like the ability to search by client, to print various reports for clients, taxes, etc., and to easily keep track of client retainers. I have not used this software for billing, so I can't really give an opinion. I tried it out, but didn't have the patience to figure it out with respect to legal billing.

Pros

Quickbooks serves its purpose for me very well as banking software. It keeps track of the checkbook and prints professional-looking checks. I also use it for bookkeeping purposes come tax season by printing out expense reports to see all of my potential tax deductions. It is also pretty good with searching for specific transactions. I do make sure my client name is in the memo field, otherwise I have had trouble searching with other fields (probably "user-error"). It is great for keeping track of client funds, which is essential as an attorney who collects retainers from clients. Reports are also required for client funds/retainers, and they are easy to prepare and print with Quickbooks. Reports are a little complicated because there are so many to choose from, but once you know which ones are actually useful, they are great.

Cons

Intuit has been very clear that they will no longer support my version of Quickbooks. I had no need to update otherwise, so I am working with a version that I can no longer get any assistance with if anything goes wrong. Also, the back-up data files do not sync with my cloud software for some reason, so there is always an error message in that regard on my cloud software (which I cannot get any help with because I have an outdated version). The search engine is workable, but I have learned to put the client's name in the memo field for every transaction so I know how to get an accurate list of transactions for a client.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

I don't remember why I choose Quickbooks over Quicken because it was so long ago (2006). My impression is that these programs are fairly comparable.

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2019

Organization is key for any business, so it's great to know you've been able to keep track of your banking, bookkeeping, and tax aspects all in one space, Lynn! We appreciate you being a loyal member of the QuickBooks family and you can count on the software to help lighten your workload for years to come. If you do decide you'd like to update your account, this article is a great place to start (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/update-products/update-to-the-latest-release-of-quickbooks-desktop/01/203221). For additional resources and helpful advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members, we recommend checking out the Community (https://community.intuit.com/). Thank you for review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Jennifer from Integrity Bookkeepers Ltd

Quickbooks has made my practice

Overall this software has changed the face of my practice and how it operates. I was previously using Solar Desktop software but Quickbooks software has enabled me to be able to take on more clients, provide them with access to their accounts online, be able to confidently provide my clients with accurate training and support and it has also saved me a lot of time with some tasks such as bank reconciliations, entering transactions using bank feeds etc.

Pros

Initially, I really loved the fact that you could receive very in-depth free training from home and in a classroom environment. Also, the fact that Accountants receive a licence for free for their own practice. I like the entire 'look' of the software, it doesn't feel overly complicated and is very user friendly. The help files and online helpdesk are extremely useful. I like that I can restrict the permissions that my clients have in order to avoid any unwanted mistakes being made but do feel that the permissions need to be more tailorable. I really like having the ability to set up recurring invoices which minimises the amount of time I have to spend on monthly repeating invoices.

Cons

I feel the permissions that you can set for individual clients is not restrictive enough - I would like to be able to enable clients to create their own sales invoices and purchase invoices but maybe restrict them from being able to delete them as this has caused many issues with some of my clients. Also, the system can be a bit 'glitchy' on occasion and the figures it sometimes produces on the trial balance report is not always accurate - usually the Sales figure is inaccurate for previous financial years which can be most frustrating. I also don't like that fact that, as a Quickbooks ProAdvisor, you cannot purchase any discounted bundles of licences. I also don't like the way you have to allocate a purchase credit note to the original purchase order - it is far too confusing and causes many errors by my clients.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Better functionality, cost and the free training that was available.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

In preparation for Making Tax Digital and in order to be able to offer future clients a better service.

Kaitlen from Jade Conulting

Our Cloud Accounting Software of Choice

The freedom that QBO provides you is amazing. I recently moved to BC from Ontario and was able to keep my job because our firm uses QBO. If we had been on desktop for our clients, I would't have been able to keep my job and would have had to find work elsewhere. My boss is about to work remotely from her cottage for the month of August because she CAN! How many people do you know can say that?

Pros

I find QBO to be super user friendly. I love that they have a training program so you can become basic and advanced certified. We make everyone in the office do the certification program, but nothing beats user experience. QBO is the first cloud-based accounting software I was introduced to, and I find it fabulous. I even recommended it to my parents for their business instead of their custom desktop-based software and they are going to move to it at the end of August.

Cons

Sometimes the banking feeds have a hard time staying connected which can be very frustrating. It's not Quickbook's fault for this - it's the banks. But it is still frustrating at times when you lose a connection and have to call up your client to re-enter their details. Thank goodness for screen-sharing! Their customer support has lovely people, but they are not always knowledge in the ways they should be. A lot of the times, we already know the issue that we are experiencing and need to speak to someone high-level to be able to resolve the issue. There should be an advanced call center to be able to speak to extememly well-versed people that know QBO in and out.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

The technology world is continuously shifting, and cloud accounting is well passed making it's debut. If you haven't already, look into webinars and lessons on how to make the switch. It will benefit both you and your clients in the long run!

Dane from Boundless Tax | Bookkeeping | Payroll

Quickbooks Online is Robust Software

Overall, QBO is wonderful software for bookkeepers, accountants, and small business owners. It is arguably the most powerful and robust software on the market, and is priced fairly well. Its integrations with other pieces of software and/or websites that small business owners use is second-to-none, and I am glad Intuit continues to work on that area. I would only say that support's knowledge of their own product is incredibly limited in my experience, and they need to stick by their pricing instead of releasing a few new features every year that have marginal actual use and claiming they need to raise prices because of them.

Pros

I love QBO - their software just works! I own a bookkeeping firm and nearly all of our clients use QBO. Nearly all bookkeeping activities can be completed, including accounts payable/receivable, financial statements, journal entries, bank reconciliations, sales tax, and even payroll. I find our clients want us to use QBO and they are eager to learn it. Along those lines, it is an easy piece of software to teach someone how to use, but still packs many robust features.

Cons

Two items: 1) The Intuit QBO customer service needs work, and lots of it. I have only web-chatted with them on three occasions, and on all three occasions, I solved the problem myself before the support agent could find a solution. A company as big as Intuit should know that their support agents need to be MORE knowledgeable than the end-user. In my experience, this is rarely the case. Possibly more training is necessary? 2) Intuit keeps raising monthly subscription prices on their QBO products. In using them for just about five years now, I have gone through five price increases/changes for their QBO Essentials and QBO Plus products, and an additional two on Intuit/Quickbooks Payroll (their payroll increases actually caused me to switch to another provider). Watch your e-mail for notifications diligently.

Anna from Freelance Interpreter

Industry: Translation and Localization

Use QuickBooks to feel Empowered and Efficient while running your business

As an ASL Interpreter, I met many self-employed freelancers in my field. I was very apprehensive about transitioning from staff employment to self-employment. Luckily, I decided to try the Self-Employed option through Quickbooks. It's been a great experience. As a "first generation freelancer", I depend daily on the tracking tools that QuickBooks provides. Before, I faced daily anxieties about whether or not I was documenting my expenses and mileage correctly. Now, I track this information confidently with Quickbooks, and am able to spend more of my cognitive and emotional energy on my actual work and passions.

Pros

I mostly use the "QuickBooks:Self-Employed" features of this software. I love the versatility with the mileage tracker that allows me either to have trips automatically tracked or to add and delete trips on my own. Living in a metropolitan area, the mileage tracker will sometimes count rides on public transportation as a car ride. I'm easily able to delete that trip and also check on my transactions to make sure that the money spent on transportation is documented appropriately as business or personal. One of my VERY favorite features are under the "Reports" section. I love the ability to get a preview of what kind of information I'll be sharing at tax time. I can download an excel spreadsheet that breaks down all of my Schedule C Transactions as a different page for each category (assets, meals, etc.). Before I started using Quickbooks, I didn't even know what most of these terms event meant! Now I'm able to work more freely and confidently as a "first generation freelancer".

Cons

When manually adding a trip to the mileage section, you are able to input the beginning address and the end address. However, QuickBooks does not have a feature that will calculate the miles between those addresses. As of now, I have to go back to my Google Maps app to see what the number of miles were. It makes the experience less fluid.

Cornelius from CHFMC

Buyer Beware

The online version is a decent product but I am sure there are other online accounting software packages that provide the same or much more. Dealing with the online accountant customer service department is a total waste of time. Their management team seems to be concerned with their numbers more than customer appreciation. Terrrrrible! My advice: "Buyer beware!"

Pros

The ability to assign classes in creating rules for the electronic bank transaction imports. The desktop version does not offer that function. It's sad because I know that if the QuickBooks Online software code writers can create that functionality in the online version, then they certainly should be able to create that functionality for the desktop versions which most subscribers have been using for decades now.

Cons

The unexpected price hikes on your account without formal notification or fair warning. Quickbooks has probably been the worst software vendor in that they always find a way to raise your rates by using creative and deceptive means such as switching online account holders and their client accounts to the Advanced Online version as a trial run without the account holders authorization. They leave the burden on the account holder to cancel the Advanced version trail for each of their online client accounts, which most account holders are not even aware that their clients have been switched. Terrrrrible! I'm sure there are laws that prohibit this type of deceptive behavior. Currently I am switching most of my clients back to the desktop versions until I can find an alternative Accounting software that my clients and I can appreciate.

Autumn from FreedomFest

Industry: Information Services

Great for bookkeepers

Overall our experience is great. I do think it's a little expensive for a small company. It has a lot of features that we spend the extra money for ease of use. I haven't had any issues calling tech support and we are very satisfied.

Pros

Quickbooks is super easy to use. All of our banking and savings accounts are attached as well as our business credit cards. I love the app feature and use a couple of the apps to assist, especially during tax time. We use classes for everything and it's so great to get a snapshot of each events profits and losses.

Cons

I wish that I could have multiple companies on one account. I have a few different small businesses that we run and it's not cost effective to have a quickbooks account for really small companies. I have found other free software programs that mimic quickbooks to manage those accounts.

Response from Intuit

Replied November 2018

Hi Autumn. Rest assured there are versions of QuickBooks that allow you to manage more than one company within the program. You can learn more about this software at https://community.intuit.com/quickbooks-desktop, but I want to ensure you're getting the value you deserve in what you're using now. I can gladly forward your comments about multiple businesses per account to the Development Team. Customer ideas power the innovations regularly rolled out, so thanks a ton for sharing yours. The QB Blog is used to post about new and exciting changes, and many of the latest even got their start in the feedback channel (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/whats-new/). Regardless, I encourage you to email me directly. It'd be my pleasure to discuss what your options are, as well as how you can save money using Online (QBCares@Intuit.com). I'm thrilled to read QuickBooks has left you with a great impression overall, though. Talk soon! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Anna from Moses Brown School

Gets the job done-- but very buggy.

QuickBooks online has its weaknesses and bugs. However, after my research I think it's the best option out there for now.

Pros

Quickbooks is easy to "plug in" and go... You can use their templates and basic accounts and set up your own accounting system in no time. I had no bookkeeping or accounting experience before using QuickBooks Online, and I was proficient after about 6 months of part-time use. Having an accountant log-in is so helpful in today's world so many people are working from home/ traveling/ etc. It is indispensable for my organization to have an online accounting platform that I, my organization's volunteer treasurer, and our hired accountant can all access from our home computers. As a non-profit organization that only pays a tiny amount of sales tax, that portion of the software is very functional and is one fewer thing I have to deal with. I do not use payroll through this system, so I cannot comment on the functionality of that portion.

Cons

The bugs in the software (accounts that won't delete, messing up check numbers, etc) are the most annoying part of using QuickBooks Online for me. If you are a small team, you can just work around them and you eventually learn what they are, but it is repeatedly annoying. Their customer service is weak, but there are lots of affordable training courses that can fill in those gaps as you use the program. I sometimes wish that Quickbooks Online were MORE customizable (i.e. allow you to delete certain generic accounts), and I sometimes wish it were LESS customizable (journal entries can be numbered ANYTHING which confuses me). Overall, I think it allows me to do most of what I need to do in bookkeeping for my non-profit.

Teara from BrightBird

Bookkeeping software for dummies like me

do it myself bookkeeping

Pros

I was able to get up and running with bookkeeping quite quickly; I expected it to be difficult since I had no knowledge of bookkeeping, but it wasn't. I have used it to run payroll, send invoices, manage expenses, receive payment, etc and find it all to be very intuitive.

Cons

For my web design business, Quickbooks is all I need as a bookkeeping software. But for my husband's trucking business, it just lacks some necessary functionality and we found a more elaborate tool was needed ... which was too difficult for me to figure out, so for his business we had to outsource the bookkeeping. But I still use Quickbooks Online for my own more basic business. I find the desktop app that you can install (to connect to the online version) is often unstable and becomes unresponsive. I also find that there is confusion between my Quickbooks Online account and my TurboTax account (both are made by Intuit), when I change my password for one, it changes my password at the other site as well .... weird and took me a number of lockouts to figure out what was happening. Best to use separate email addresses for each of the tools I think.

Response from Intuit Canada

Replied August 2018

Hi Teara. Thanks a ton for your expert insights, and your review. You're correct that changing your password for one product will affect it across others. If your user ID is the same for each log-in, this feature is designed to help streamline logging in. As an added layer of security, we offer multi-factor authentication so your info is safeguarded. As for instability in the desktop app, you can easily solve these issues by clearing the cache. After logging in, select Help > Reset App Data and you'll be good to go. Should you guys have any questions about the functionality missing for your husband's trucking company, feel more than welcome to email me directly (QBCares@Intuit.com). I'd be glad to discuss your options in that respect and look forward to hearing from you both. In the meantime, I encourage you to swing by our Resource Center (https://intuit.me/2rI3OKd), where you'll find walk-through guides and tutorials for working in QuickBooks. Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Boram Chris from More Than Scores And Tests, Ltd (More Than SAT)

Lesser of two evils

Pros

I am not an accounting professional but with a basic understanding of accounting principal, I have been able to use this software to organize my company for the last 10 years. I have made the switch in 2014 to the online version of it. It lets me to use the software anywhere including mobile device and I have been very happy with all the updates Intuit has been making last 3-4 years.

Cons

Everything about customer service. As a long time user, I know the infamous reputation of Intuit at every level. This is one of the SO MANY experiences I had: I had one issue that persisted since 2014. It was a simple issue, but it also caused me some great inconvenience. So I had been contacting them every now and then and the issue was not resolved until recently in 2018. It turned out to be it was as simple as clearing cache. However, every time I called, I had to explain the situation as if it's never been recorded, follow their instruction to do the troubleshooting, then they were puzzled how that happened, and then say that 'someone' will follow up. And THAT NEVER HAPPENED. I got so fed up and had to be on the phone more than 4 hours to a point that the issue was escalated to the presidents' office. I was told that there was a glitch in the system that I had to move to a new account. As they moved my data to a new account, I found out that it won't move credit card or social security info. As I was preparing for the final move, I realized that they have been charging me double. I requested to refund or extend the membership, but they did it again - made me wait for 1-2 hours, told me that I'll speak to a floor manager, then just transfer to another dpt- ALL THE TACTICS TO DISCOURAGE TO find the solution for the issue. Finally, they 'concluded' not to extend the membership with an excused made up they cannot provide in written permission. NEVER HAD SUCH BAD EXPERIENCE.

Randi from Intellitext

QBO has been a game changer for my business, but I have a few complaints.

Pros

I converted from QB Desktop Pro to QBO about a year ago, and it has been a game changer for me. Some pros: 1. The design is much more aesthetically pleasing and intuitive than QB Desktop. I now feel comfortable doing my own reconciliations rather than paying a bookkeeper, as it is much more natural than the steps required before. 2. I can easily add users and therefore don't need to pass the file back and forth. Before, I'd forget that my bookkeeper is working on my file and would make changes, which caused big problems. This is no longer an issue. 3. I can login anywhere. 4. The apps are a big deal for me. For example, I have an app called "Importer Pro" which allows me to import the schedule from my scheduling software. It then automatically generates and invoice for my clients, and it could also automatically generate an invoice for my independent contractors based on the work they do. This saves me about 25 hours per week. I could not have done this with QB Desktop.

Cons

There are two main (and large) problems I've found: 1. You cannot revert your company. So if you make a big error, or a disgruntled employee with QBO access logs in and messes everything up, there is no going back. That's a big issue. Luckily, it has not been a problem for us yet. 2. If you need to edit a past invoice, it deletes the description and changes the hour to 1. This became a problem for me when I realized that the line items were not mapped to the client, and I needed to change the "product/service" to something that is mapped to the client. Previously, I was using a generic term in "product/service" for all clients, not realizing it was an issue. However, I cannot go back through my past invoices and change the product/service because it will delete the description and edit the hours, which is way too time consuming to deal with. I have thousands of line items that are not mapped to the client. I reported both of these issues to QBO. Asked to talk to a supervisor after the first person was very unhelpful and clearly not trained well. The supervisor said he would talk to the development team and call me back within 48 hours. That was months ago and of course, no call. Disappointing.

Andre from Choquette & Company Accounting Group Inc.

Perfect for businesses wanting to move to the next level

We use Quickbooks Online for our practice, we utilize 3rd party integration for time capture (and yes while Quickbooks does offer this, requires the program to be open - a mini app would be perfect for this). Payroll is very flexible and easy to use.

Pros

Ease of use for the most common features (invoicing, expense capturing), receipt capture assistance, quick and flexible search, 3rd party marketplace. Accountant version has good client management.

Cons

Not all features available in mobile (no payroll), No automatic late charge/ overdue interest (requires either manual or using 3rd party integration which greatly increases cost of product). Document attaching limited only to invoices and expense receipt capture (should be on invoice payment). Time recording should be easier within desktop app (have mini app for this ). No integration into Office 365 (would be great to have ability to bill for emails, appts, tasks etc) as well as ability to see Quickbooks Receivables when viewing either Office365 contact or viewing, writing email

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Ease of use in the mobile app, very good lay out of the app.

Andrew from Knifer Services

QBO is great... but lousy customer support

QBO is one of the best software around for small to midsized businesses. I have no issues with it and find it perfect for all of my use but their customer support is hit or miss. They need to focus on the issues plaguing the system and teach the support techs to be able to properly fix the issues or at minimum be aware of when things will get fixed. All in all QBO is a great solution for small to mid sized businesses needing accounting software.

Pros

Great Double Entry Accounting software! Online system is really well done and the mobile platform is great!

Cons

Customer Support is extremely lacking. Yes they train accountants to act as support but when the accountants have issues the support for them is lacking.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Better system and overall quality.

Response from Intuit

Replied October 2019

Hey there, Andrew. Hearing how much you've enjoyed using QuickBooks is music to our ears. We'll continue to have your back for years to come. As an alternative route to reach support, we invite you to check out the Community. In this space, you'll find a variety of how-to articles, and can ask your own unique question for a more tailored response from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Thanks for stopping by to leave a review. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Tony from Tontin

Quickbooks It Does what it says on the tin.

Overall we have learnt to live with QB, it has trouble with some complex transactions but you can normally find a way round it. would i change..not now with 2+ years invested in it. Learn it and stick with it and you will not be dissappointed.

Pros

Quickbooks has a clean and logical interface, a new user will be able to find their way around relatively easily, it autofills in many fields which can save lots of time. We moved over from other software and had QB setup in a few hours with all of our suppliers, clients and back accounts. It does your VAT returns with great ease. We also use the payroll feature for a few quid per month.

Cons

QB has a feature which can connect tour bank account automatically, this was working fine until an update and now it never has the right figures it only downloads the Paypal transaction amount and never the Paypal fees , this creates some additional workarounds that we should not have to do.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Friendlier interface and better welcome offer, it also had payroll

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Tas was not Making Tax Digital compatible.

Scott from All Sorted Business Services

Great Features. Value for money (at the moment). Poor Customer Service

Quickbooks Online is great for businesses that have inventory, job management, budgetting or a large payroll. While these features are available with other software (such as Xero)...it is often for an additional cost. QBO includes these features in their offering. Great for retail, manufacturing and distribution-type businesses. For service-based business that focus on services, such as consultants, professionals or creatives I would recommend Xero as a better alternative.

Pros

Quickbooks Online (for Australia) has great features. It has been around for a long time and has developed a really good platform. Features, such as inventory and payroll are well developed. The reporting available with QBO is excellent - very detailed and flexible.

Cons

When things go wrong...the service is very poor. I've had overseas staff who did not know the system, or how things work in Australia. I have had customer support staff not get back to me. And I've had them flat out tell me that they can't help. Quickbooks is trying to buy market share in Australia, so they are offering significant discounts. This makes the software really affordable...but there is no telling how long these discounts will last. The expiration of a 50% discount may be a nasty surprise for a small business when it does go away. Which it will...at some point. Don't get caught with the Self-Employed Sole Trader version of Quickbooks online. Your Accountant can't view your data, the reporting is poor and you can't migrate your data to other software. It is a very very basic accounting package...that is not very functional and provides no future proofing.

Richard from True North Service Management Solutions Ltd

A decent online accounting system, especially for sole traders and SMEs

Overall I’m very happy with QBO, but would prefer a more stable pricing model. The pro is £30 per month ex VAT but too many introductory offers e.g 40% off for a year, then 70% for six months. This inconsistency creates frustration for existing customers.

Pros

As long as you go Pro in the three tiers, QBO has a very good quote to invoice flow, that also easily enables the ordering process to you supplier as part of the workflow. I like how it integrates with HMRC for VAT, easily pull out a quarterly report for the EC sales list, and view cash flow quickly with P+L and Balance Sheet reports.

Cons

I don’t think it handle’s multi currency very well as you can only hold products in one currency. In addition, customising is very limited. Whilst I appreciate that to keep a stable SaaS product means limiting what you can do, it’d still be nice to have a bit more flexibility and options with additional fields and better custom templates (especially purchase orders).

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Fitted the business need at the time once testing had concluded.

Good usability, poor platform

Good product if you want flexibility in work location and are willing to pay for it. If you ever would consider transferring to desktop, I would recommend not starting with QB Online. There are other similar products that you also can try for less money.

Pros

The ability to work remotely, or access your data from any computer was very convenient. There was a broad assortment of tools and the ability to customize them to fit different organizations. The software connected with banking institutions fairly easily. It was easy to share data with CPA's for assistance or audit purposes.

Cons

The cost was a major disappointment. We needed to subscribe to the highest tier in order to use the tools for greatest productivity. The price increased rapidly and made for a very expensive year over year cost. That annual cost drove us to switch to the desktop version. We thought that it would be a seamless transfer since they are similar products from the same company. The data conversion was a nightmare. It was confusing for our IT professional to navigate; it took hours to complete the conversion after multiple attempts; some of the data would not convert; the conversion removed ALL of our reconciliations. Over one year later and I am still finding conversion issues.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

The brand name was influential.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

The complexity of our organization increased and it was no longer practical.

Cliff from Network Interpreting Service Inc.

When it doesn't stink, it's awesome

Cloud based accounting. Reliability. Various user roles is nice.

Pros

It's up time is tremendous. It's prettier than it used to be and getting a little prettier by the year. (The Benjamin Button of Software). It doesn't crash in the middle of doing stuff. Their support is very responsive. API plugins. Yeah, high marks, mostly.

Cons

3 things: 1. Emailing invoices. They don't have good alerts for when you have a bad email address for a customer and this can kill. 2. They don't have a way of automatically adding late payment penalties into the invoicing process. We had to plug in some outside software through an API to effectively deal with this. 3. Somewhat related to #2, it seems weak on automated collection efforts to me. 4. I've pointed out a bug to them twice and it is still not fixed, 3 yrs or more later. Silliest thing. Used to work beautifully, but when they got prettier, it doesn't work anymore. What? Adding on another invoice to pay to a vendor after you have come to the payment process through the "Pay Bills" process. It wants to subtract instead of add. (the most odd thing) (they hae offered work arounds that are not viable and just won't get it fixed.. or haven't) 5. The block "Ctrl Clicking" in places when it would be really handy to open multiple tabs when editing a bunch of stuff. This forces you to come back to the list, and search again and again instead of keeping the searched list in place. Maybe there is some reason for this burdensome navigation.

Miguel from 419 Bookkeeping LLC

Service your clients w/o the headache!

Wonderful experience. Allows me to do my routine bookkeeping or clean-up jobs in a timely and more efficient way with the inclusion of the Accountants Toolbox. Though the move to the cloud is all the rage, some businesses and industries still like the power of QBDT. So QB Accountant allows me to still bring them my high level of accounting expertise.

Pros

The ability to be able to serve your clients without the headache of worrying what package or QB year they are currently working with. Without QBA package, in order for you to open a company file you and your client had to be working in the same QBDT year. For example, QB 2015 file had to be opened by QB 2015. QB Accountant solves that problem. Also, QB Accountant provide accounting professionals with an Accountants Toolbox that isn't available for your typical users. This unlocks and allows accountants and bookkeeper to perform duties, tasks, and shortcuts to a clients books in a cleaner or efficient manner.

Cons

The only aspect I don't care for is not having the option for Quickbooks Accountants for Mac. Inuit doesn't offer a package for accounting professionals that are Mac users. Though not currently a Mac user, I am in the market for a new laptop with a Apple possibility being in the picture. So when I reached out to Inuit, they informed me that QBDTA is not compatible with Mac machines.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

The market is so Intuit Quickbooks heavy, it made more since for me to become an expert in Quickbooks and Quickbooks Accountant was the ideal move for my business.

Lisa from Innovative Energy, Inc.

Industry: Building Materials

Great Change!

This has been a great experience so far. QBO has been much easier to work with than what we used in the past.

Pros

I love the ability to set-up our customers and bill to parent companies - keeping a history for each location.

Cons

I know that QBO is accounting software, but i wish we could create partial invoices with the quantities of items being invoiced instead of using dollar amounts or percentages. The absence of a report showing items on accepted estimates is something that I wish QBO would change. I need to be able to take a report from QBO to see what items are waiting for production without the use of an outside program.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

Cost, the ability to synch QBO with Method CRM, and the ability to have QBO without depending on another server to store software on.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

User friendliness, cost, options, and compatibility.

Eve from Dynamic Sports Nutrition LLC

So EASY to manage multiple companies

I have used this software for years and am very pleased with its functionality. I have used it for companies tracking Inventory and companies that require Income by Client Summary which was one of my favorites! We currently manage about 15 companies quite successfully.

Pros

* So easy to maneuver from one company to another * Straight forward and easy to train bookkeepers on its use * The help functions are great because it contains solutions so many different scenarios and questions from similar users * QuickBooks Onlin Account is accessible from anywhere so staff can work remotely when necessary

Cons

* Program hangs up from time to time so it requires logging out and back in. * From time to time a function seems confusing, however if the online help doesn't provide a solution that works for us, we can use the Contact Us function for assistance.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Goes without saying that Online Accountant makes it so easy for staff to collaborate and work remotely when necessary. Everything in ONE place!

Pranay from Jain Gupta

First Hand Experience for Multiple Clients

Despite few challenges, overall I recommend Quickbooks!

Pros

1. Easy to navigate 2. Steps are easily available online 3. Very clean software for accounting 4. Multiple Apps which can connect with it 5. Cloud based. You can access from anywhere.

Cons

1. It is a basic accounting software 2. There are many features which are required for automation in todays times which I don't think they have enabled. 3. Other softwares are innovating with many new features like automatic reimders etc

Tally is not on cloud