• Pros

• "It was easy to use and join! I was using it for school and it was nice to use and easy to set up. It laid out the different topics nicely and meant we were able identify and post regularly. "

• "This software is so easy to use! There is so many features that help you stay on track! I would recommend it to anyone! "

• "This was very helpful when I was in college! All of our online classes used this and it was great!"

• Cons

• "Las actualizaciones son sencillas, pero se vuelve cada vez más complicada la configuración y uso de módulos "

• "Sometimes it was a bit difficult to navigate the pages but overall fairly simple to use."

• "It’s not the easiest to use software, canvas is much easier to use, but it cost a lot of money."

Browse Moodle Reviews

Chamath from AdSpark.IO

The e-learning platform for 100+ students

In the beginning, I would say it's a bit harder to learn but after I read their documentation and refer some guides I become a master of Moodle. There are a good amount of helping documentations with Moodle you can find almost anything on their documentation. I’m happy to say that still our students using it daily. If you have a small budget this is a great choice. I’m very satisfied on Moodle and I can recommend for anyone those who are looking for a good LMS platform

Pros

I have used Moodle for an organization to implement an e-learning platform. I have searched for may LMS and finally, I selected Moodle because it’s open source and very customizable for our requirements. While I am using the Moodle I can list down some pros according to my experience - Moodle has Multilingual capability that allows users to use multi-language it was a great feature for me. - Manage user roles and permission, You can define roles to users and manage user access - Bulk course creation and easy to backup - Customizable or create our own themes - Very useful calendar to track course deadlines, meetings and many more - Admin user can Install and disable 3rd party plugins

Cons

Though Moodle offers many features there are some things that I don’t like much. I can list a few cons of Moodle - The learning curve is a bit higher for administration and building Moodle courses for First-time users - If you need to customize some functionalities requires a Moodle programmer - The look and feel a bit outdated even if you use a theme it feels like bit older - I faced some upgrading issues it’s not that easy for me

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Moodle is free and customizable for our needs and we can host it anywhere we want.

dipen from Majhi E-School

Easy to made learning platform

My overall experience with Moodle is really worthy. me and my team are creating new class, courses and tests on Moodle and it takes very small amount of time. Course management is really nice and User interface of Moodle is really understandable to students.

Pros

1. Free and effective open source learning. 2. Create easy assignments and learning management as per subject and as per class.

Cons

1. Bulky and heavy User interface. 2. No end to end security provided. 3. No option to signup user accounts automatically.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

I choose Moodle over these alternative because, Moodle is open source and highly customizable as per requirement.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Google Classroom, another useful tool from Google. I switched to Moodle because Moodle is open source and interface is understandable to students.

I am a satisfied user.

Made E-learning easier and the fact that every student has their own profile makes it smart and easy to track down the performance and know how the grades are. Awesome!

Pros

It's well organized and guides the participants on how to tackle assignments, we use it as a platform for learning during this covid-9 era and it makes E-learning easier as all students receive their results with confidentiality and when writting the tests it's non-bias, once you open the link to your test then the timer counts you down so there is no time for cheating unless you are taking the exam with other people helping you.

Cons

The class generated link sometimes can be tricky to use unless you understand how to use it, and just like any other online platform during the timed exam there is need for a better internet supply.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

There was a change in tutors and the latter wanted to present the topics using visual aid so he sent a zoom meeting link which used our webcomes and the class was well simulated.

Moodle E-Learning Software Overall Review

So far, my colleague developers and I are excited about Moodle. We're currently customizing it (creating courses, students, faculty members, enrolling students in their courses, branding, carrying out training for both faculty and students) to suit our University's standard as we will deploy it for our students this academic year 2019/2020.

Pros

- It's built with the common language PHP and MySQL which makes it easy to customize (by Developers) - It has so many detailed features built-in, such as setting the date a course will begin and end, methods for learners to enroll in a course, the timezone of the learner, and more features. - Many plugins (such as video LiveStreaming, quiz modules, assignment modules) are present which provides even more features to the software. - It has detailed documentation for Developers and General users on how to carry out functions on the software. - Moodle is so far one of the best e-learning software which fosters the distant learning culture and is so helpful to learners for example in areas with a socio-political crisis.

Cons

- A fee is required for any least additional functionality the client wants to be added on Moodle. - The codebase is so hard to understand especially for non-Moodle Developers hence making it difficult to customize Moodle by yourself or team developers if they are not an expert. - Moodle is strictly course-based, making it hard to integrate and synchronize with say, a platform already built and used by a school, in this case, our University. - Email sent by the Moodle system to users always land in their spam/junk folder or doesn't even get sent at all.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

- With Moodle, there is full control of data as the information (files and user data) is found on our website / VPS Hosting account, compared to Google Classroom whereby all information is stored in Google's servers. - Hence with Moodle, there's more data privacy.

Matthew from The University of the West Indies

Perfect for Remote Learning Scenarios

As my University shifted from face-to-face classes I became much more reliant on Moodle and I have now been using their integrations with blackboard collaborate to stream and host video lecturers. This is a must have platform for distance learning despite letdowns with the gradebook.

Pros

Moodle allows me to have a centralized repository of information for my course. I have now placed code, grades, course materials, powerpoints and even video lectures on my course container. My students have no excuses as they know to check Moodle for any course updates.

Cons

The gradebook is hard to use and I am a Computer Science Lecturer. It is difficult to configure and I really wished it were friendlier to non-techies.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Google Classroom is not free and despite excellent customer service - there is no choice for administering content in my organization.

Eduardo from The Six-Year Kugel High School in Holon, Israel

My review of Moodle

Excellent. I cannot go back to teaching without Moodle.

Pros

Moodle has been very useful when switching to fully online learning since March 2020. I have liked to use it so much that I have taken )and completed= the Moodle Educator Certification Program so as to make use of Moodle capabilities to the fullest extent.

Cons

I still find it difficult to handle Moodle Analytics, but then this is because I do not use it that much.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

There was a possibility of trying Moodle at the school where I have been teaching since 1989. I jumped at the chance, tried Moodle, and never looked back.

Eugenio from MIUC

Great tool if you have an IT department

Very good but expensive to edit all features one by one because It people need to work a lot

Pros

You can edit the source code and modify everything inside the platform if you have a professional IT department.

Cons

There are not prebuilt features all centers use.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Because on that time we had money to edit the platform in the way we wanted. after we had blackboard and lately we have neolms higher specs and cheaper price, in moodle we had to pay the server in neolms we do not pay the server for the first 400 students.

Youssef from WonderEight

Industry: Information Services

Affordable and Flexible learning management system

I've been using Moodle since university days where I contributed in the selection of the platform and implemented it on one of the university servers. I maintained Moodle for 1 year and developed additional modules. Since then I installed Moodle for 2 additional universities and integrated it with additional 3rd party tools. Moodle is very easy to use by the instructors and students.

Pros

Moodle has a lot of built-in features and more functionality can be added by installing new modules. Moodle is open source and very easy to setup and get started which makes it the best solution for schools and universities.

Cons

Moodle needs to have a builtin conferencing tool in order to offer a full experience to the instructors

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Moodle was free and open source and at the same time it supported SCORM and allowed for additional development. Moodle also had a big list of available modules and themes you can select from

Mireia from School

Moodle

I have to use Moodle for school so I've been getting used to it. It's not the best software but it's also not the worst. I would recommend using it unless something better comes up in a near future.

Pros

I like that it allows me to keep up with the class. Allows the teacher to post documents and other activities, it has a forum for students to interact plus other dozen of useful tools.

Cons

It's very, very slow to upload. Sometimes, out of the blue, it will give you errors when you're trying to enter a class. It's not as intuitive as other moodle alternatives, sometimes it takes minutes to find a certain tool when, if properly laid out, it could take seconds.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

I didn't make the switch, I just use more than one software to keep up with school activities. As it depends on the tools and pros and cons each software has.

Emir from BH Telecom

Clasic freeware platform, has its quirks, but overall still one of the best solutions

Mostly positive. I would like to see if they can offer premium preseted enviroment.

Pros

You can install it on shared hosting platform in less then 10 minutes. There are lots of plugins and forum tips/tricks so anyone with a little bit time can become serious user/admin.

Cons

It is to fragmented, because of "openes". Yes you can integrate Office 365 but integration is quite loose. Yes you can implement SSO but some security concerns are present. Mobile app is unfinished and optimization often requires in dept knowledge of html/css. Reporting sistem is not straight forward, gemification is only an option, not reality.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Price, it was part of my masters degree to analyse and implement Moodle/DL/elearnig solution in telco enviroment

Harshil from Schaeffler AG

E-learning Plus Full package of online studying

Extraordinary, learning with perfect understanding, ideation, E-learning, online learning leds to flexible learning.

Pros

I am a student of Hochschule Duesseldorf University of applied sciences. My university is on Moodle and my every second thing is operated by means of moodle. My lectures notes, attendance, research papers, books, Homework, assignments and even some times examinations with the end result everything is done on moodle platform. It is an complete platform for an university student. Every course is given a separate folder by which ease of operation is achieved. During this corona pandemic time my lectures were also done via moodle and also by other online platform but moodle is the medium of uploading the recorded lectures which is very much helpful for the teachers as well as for students. Various Forums were created by lecturers on moodle in order to have a Q/A session or a survey session by which every student can participate and can also upload their respective files. On my vision, moodle is the best learning tool I ever come through, it is simpler and better way of teaching and providing teaching materials. Also there is an Chat option by which teachers can guide there students.

Cons

Moodle can create a sudden limitation toward ones privacy as every one in the course is able to operate almost every thing which is available in the course material and forum which can be not a suitable thing for everyone. I think moodle should provide some privacy features like only xyz person can see and edit the files or works by which false marketing and copying can be avoided but it is just an suggestion from my side as in my class such a situation had arises in some previous time.

Adonay from Geckode LLC

Industry: Information Services

An excellent learning management system

Although it was a bit difficult and had to figure it out on our own about the server setup, once it was working, the path to set up courses, integrating modules was pretty straight forward. Our already made SCORM resources were loaded without any major trouble and worked flawlessly.

Pros

It has lots of features 'right out of the box', setting it up once installed is relatively easy and it has a great community where you can find answers for almost every issue or 'how to setup X' you could find. Also, there are lots of modules made for the platform that integrate really well.

Cons

The recommended installation process (directly from server terminal) didn't work for us on any server we tried to deploy it. We ended setting all our instances via web (which is a very great option). Also, although they have lots of support about their features and setup, they don't have the same level of support on setting the platform under certain circumstances (at server level) like reverse proxies, nat, etc.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Because we needed a tool that has easy to set up groups, assignments, lessons and related stuff no matter which industry it's intended for. Right now Moodle is doing it perfectly for schools as for business training. Also the gamification feature ads lots of value for the clients theses days.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Mostly about costs. The blackboard platform use to have extended downtimes, so, we looked for something we can deploy on our own (or the client's) servers.

Florian from floffi.media

Capable to power a whole university

While certain parts could be improved, the whole experience never feels overwhelming. Content can be grouped into weekly chunks to set the right rhythm for both teachers and students. Announcements and Q&As take place in discussion boards, with automatic email notifications for those who don’t want to check manually for updates. It is even possible to hold entire exams with automatic grading (for multiple choice questions) and an automatically generated score.

Pros

With not just employees but also students working from home, efficient educational software is more important than ever. Moodle is capable to power online teaching for a whole university, including online exams, file sharing, video uploads, discussion boards, surveys and homework submissions.

Cons

At the moment, there is no native video conferencing feature. We work around this limitation by pasting links from external platforms, like Zoom or Jitsi. It would be nice to have this functionality baked into the core, together with the possibility of referencing existing content inside the video call: documents, discussion boards, surveys, etc. Another pain point is the grading section. It is meant to calculate a student’s score based on homework submissions and online exams. Unfortunately, there are just too many figures relating to absolute score, relative score and more, so in the end it is hard to grasp what the final score is actually composed of.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

At my previous university, we used Blackboard LMS, which I’ve found to be more complicated even with its steep price tag. I think especially large, publicly funded institutions should choose very carefully if there is any free, open source alternative that matches their needs. It doesn’t even have to be a perfect match. They can just commission somebody to adapt preexisting software to their specific needs and still save money, preferably releasing their changes under an open license as well.

CLYDE EUGENE from Solusi University

Robust LMS

Overall, I would say Moodle has been great, since I have now mastered many aspects of the LMS. The first few months were painful, but it was all worth it.

Pros

Moodle is a robust LMS that we use at our university. It exceptionally manages student learning by offering the tools that educators need to teach in the 21st century. The quiz creation tools are what won me over from a competitor in this space. My reluctance to jump on board was further eased by discovering just how customisable it is. Admins can install new plugins that add extra functionality (and there are plenty of these to choose from) as well as themes that spruce up the interface (it may be necessary depending on your taste). There is also a very supportive community backing the Moodle project and the support of this community is indispensable to anyone looking to fully maximise their use of the LMS. Moodle also updates the platform ever so often, and as I write, they recently updated to Moodle 3.8 (I have work to do to update my site on v3.6).

Cons

Moodle is a beast in terms of functionality and this, unfortunately, is its biggest drawback. It is not an easy job trying to onboard new faculty members with no background in IT. It has a somewhat steepish learning curve that can certainly be tackled but not without exerting some effort and patience. The UI is also not as inspiring. I am glad that recent updates have really modernised the look and feel of the LMS but other competitors excel in offering an intuitive out-of-the-box experience. This can be easily overcome by theming the LMS and Moodle has done well in allowing this though it needs an experienced professional to do this.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

The technical expertise that Moodle requires was already available. At the time, Moodle also had more documentation to support it hence it was a no-brainer.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

My university didn't have personnel with a Ruby on Rails background to implement the open-source Canvas LMS.

Dianne from InTouch24-7

Superb solution but difficult to set up

I consult to clients who have tried to implement Moodle and recognise it's value but are struggling to get a practical, organised system. There are human issues of acceptance and the system isn't used, or the opposite where they have "created a monster" that is unwieldy. Once the system is structured correctly, and staff are trained in the right way to get the most benefit, it is always beneficial. Expensive paid systems force the client management team to go through a formal process of implementation including culture and planning, but a free system is often simply installed without strategy planning about how it is going to be used.

Pros

Moodle is opensource, and therefore inexpensive and low risk to test. If a company is considering eLearning, this should be your first option as a pilot. No pre-planning is as good as actual experience. The difficulty does not lie with the software, but that an eLearning system is a complex activity and is expected to meet the needs of very different users - different education levels, different technology capabilities and with different learning methods. Moodle shows if your company is ready for eLearning, and quickly gets you up and running. A lot of older training materials are in PDF, powerpoint and other formats, and Moodle allows "drag-and-drop" and importing of zip files or SCORM files.

Cons

This is difficult to set up, particularly if you want to make use of the assessments. You need to define your users and your strategy up front or it can become a muddle with different departments adding "courses". In a way it is almost TOO is easy to use, and individual departments create a "course" and add new categories, and dump hundreds of file with no categorisation. Most Moodle systems will need to be reorganised and "cleaned up" regularly if allowed to grow organically.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Both were expensive. iSpring is amazing for creating SCORM courses for Moodle, but I don't recommend an cloud-based LMS. The clients I work with worry about the security of a cloud-based solution and want files and data in house. Docebo was too simple and didn't have the functionality clients needed.

Michael from Canberra Grammar School

The ultimate toolbox for educators

I have been involved with Moodle for many years as a user, administrator and developer. Be careful about the hype you hear from commercial vendors, they will often understate the prevalence of Moodle around the world, which dwarfs other systems many times. The community involved with this product have a common aim: to help educators; money is rarely their driver.

Pros

Moodle is, hands-down, the most functional and malleable learning management system available. Moodle can do everything we want it to do.

Cons

Sometimes you have to reduce functionality to make it useful for some people. It is possible to turn off features to achieve that.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

In a blind test at my current institution, Moodle was favoured by users over other systems. It won out in terms of features and flexibility. It just works.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Blackboard seems to be dying. Their product is undeveloped over many years and their proposed replacement still seems to be vaporware. The costs for this system are very high and very few equivalent institutions are still using it.

Aman from University of Massachusetts

Moodle up the way

Overall experience with google is under satisfactory as compared to Blackboard and Canvas. It is the least help application I have ever used.

Pros

The software is an online education learning module software. It is mostly used by universities and other educational institutes. Overall the software is very decent, it offers a variety of features, plagiarism checker, and other variety of features. It does not have any option of predicting grade which is offered by Canvas. As a T.A. I would as it is a decent software but there are better softwares than moodle.

Cons

The software does not have a fully functional mobile appliation which is offered by Blackboard and Canvas which are other learning management systems. Moodle is also sluggish and courses appear later and from time to time there are bugs in the application.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Our organization chose Moodle.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Our organization switched from Blackboard to Moodle.

A complete solution for blended learning!

I have implemented Moodle LMS for many industries including Colleges, Universities, Manufacturing, Retail, Career Development Centers, Online Training institutions, Information, Media & Entertainment industries. Except the product is an open-source, I do not see ANY issues. This can be hosted in Amazon Web Services or in Azure cloud, it can be hosted in client environment. Moodle can be integrated with any 3rd party (both inbound and outbound) applications as long as their APIs are exposed. This has lot of in-built plugins/tools to manage ILT Events and Sessions, Chats, Virtual Learning Environment tools, etc. I highly recommend this low-cost solution for any type of industry.

Pros

Moodle is a complete e-Learning platform for many industries. It is well-suited for Education Industry. I have implemented Moodle in the large universities and colleges in the world. Most inspiring features are - the course section which can be grouped based on customized categories and sub-categories - forum which can be associated with the topics at course level or at organization level - Cohort which helps the institute to manage the batch-wise students group every year and can be promoted to next level without much manual efforts - Question Bank which can accommodate more than 12 types of assessments and can also be integrated with other assessment management systems or plugins

Cons

There is no limitation on the features, since this is an open source application, we cannot use it for GxP contents in Life Sciences and may not comply with Banking/Insurance industries.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Low-cost, highly flexible, scalable, robust, technical compatibility, user-friendly, no license cost

An easy and practical virtual way for distance education

Moodle, allows to offer an exchange space in activities for learning, these can be online or as a support for content management without using the web interface, also through the platform you can create private forums to stimulate discussions online or used as the main interface to perform exams and assessments.

Pros

This tool is also designed in free software is a multimedia program that explores the way to generate virtual ways of quality distance education through its virtual environments, the tool is one of the most used for this type of tasks or activities one of its positive elements is in creating private virtual environments where a group of students with their teacher interact online, which after defining the role of administrator capable of creating subjects and administrator, with the role of teacher with permission or without permissions allows to generate the educational base necessary to fulfill a course. Another positive aspect is the ease of making or creating questionnaires by subjects to facilitate the teaching-learning process and the different evaluative uses necessary to assess the student's progress.

Cons

The tool presents standardized content which prevents differentiating the treatment between advanced and regular students, as well as presenting differentiated content since when the group is created a signature and the access role all share the information according to the profile held by the participants, as to the interface this is not very friendly with the students since it does not have an iconography that facilitates the identification of the different options besides the menus are not intuitive that does not generate a pattern of habit on the actions within the program. layout is similar to a normal blog something that in my opinion could be improved to take more advantage of the online application.

Flexible for designers, teachers and students

Pros

As an online learning designer, Moodle is a fantastic tool because it integrates multiple options for learning and collaboration between both on and off campus students. It is incredibly flexible with a plethora of both simple and advanced features which can be integrated at a teacher’s preference, and the entire teaching experience can be run through the system. It’s agile enough to integrate with multiple external software systems so is less restrictive than some LMS systems. The interface can be configured to suit individual institutions or teaching and allows a teacher to monitor all activity. As a course designer, Moodle Analytics are extremely valuable because I can see exactly what parts of the course are being accessed, how often, and if they are being completed. This allows me to know if individual components of the course are beneficial to learning or if it needs changing or replacing, without the risk of violating student or institution privacy. When working for an institution that is a Moodle partner, I like the opportunity to help shape Moodle’s future by offering submissions direct to the designers.

Cons

Whenever updates for Moodle are released (six monthly) there are always some problems with existing content, especially with non-standard features that have been designed exclusively for a course or institution. Sometimes they are not immediately evident and can cause issues during the teaching period. Moodle is a very large, powerful system, so it can take considerable time to understand it well enough to be confident designing and teaching courses. Also, if support staff are not on hand it can be difficult to resolve issues or find ways to integrate special requests from teachers.

Moodle has been one of the best tools I have ever implemented in my high school courses!

I think I stated most if not all the benefits in the "pro" section. It's a great time saver once courses are set up. I can see the stats on my students' involvement with the various parts of it. I can cut down paper work by having files submitted electronically. I can use rubrics of my own design to quickly grade programming assignments I can mark up PDF submissions on the screen to give feedback. I can moderate discussions and teach students how to speak in a forum setting. I can provide more opportunities for students to think and produce more creatively. I can enjoy creating my own materials!

Pros

Moodle allows me to provided a blended learning environment for my students. I use it for AP Statistics, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, and Integrated Math 1. I can post assignment schedules, additional readings, links to off-site materials, etc. just as I did in my web pages in the past. However, it also allows me to assign "lessons" that my students do interactively online, discussion boards where they have to write their thoughts coherently, and assignments where students upload files for me to review and grade. It has become an important communication tool for me to use with both students and parents outside school hours. No student can say they forgot their book at school or don't remember the assignment because texts and assignments are online in Moodle. Parents can see what their students are doing in my class academically and not just the grades they receive. Moodle has become more important to my teaching than the textbook. All resources can be found in one place and students can interact with the materials, each other, and me in class and outside class. We have even implemented a computer lab and device reservation system for teachers in Moodle which has saved our librarians a ton of hours of work each week.

Cons

Moodle is not intuitive to the novice. It took some time for me to learn how to use its many features and implement them well. I have been doing this for at least 8 years, but I am still learning more about the system and its capabilities. As the server administrator, doing upgrades has always been problematic. I don't think an upgrade has ever gone smoothly. The reason I stick with it is because I haven't found a LMS that can offer me as much as Moodle. Plus, it's free and we can run it in-house.

Vashi from University of Mauritius

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Moodle as a student and administrator

There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros

First: It is free! As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users. As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons

The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.

Pamela from American Library Association

Moodle LMS - Administrator and Trainer Point of View

Pros

There are lots and lots of resources for help. Almost every page on the Moodle site has a link at the bottom of it taking you to the specific documentation of what you are working with. Moodle has a huge community of worldwide users that are extremely responsive to user forums, so help is literally a couple of clicks away. Moodle is easy to figure out, even if you have never used and LMS. The site I currently administrate is at http://classes.ala.org. As you land on the homepage, you will see the list of our different divisions who offer online courses. We do this using the categories feature, allowing each of our separate divisions to be represented on the single ALA site. What you might also notice is that the login for the site is a convenient eyebrow link. If you click it, there are a variety of options for setting up your own guest credentials in addition to signing in with your official credentials granted by one of the administrators. Most user issues are simple to troubleshoot. Moodle's no nonsense layout and intuitive interaction makes it pretty straightforward to figure out user issues. Error messages tell you specifically what a problem is in plain English (or whatever language you want to set up). Most user problems are rights related in the system. Moodle allows you to restore previous courses into new courses. The backup and restore feature pretty much does everything for you. Take out the user data from a backup and you can restore the previous version of a course into a brand new course with very little downtime.

Cons

Version 1.9 requires an older version of Java running in order to use the wysiwyg html editor (something that comes in handy for the introduction to the course and each section/Topic for the course) -- a version of Java is required, that if you are on Windows 7, has security issues that your Network Admin is probably blocking. The workaround not having an html editor is to open your web content editor (we have Drupal and Dreamweaver) and then paste the code into the setting fields. It is not difficult to do, just inconvenient. I am sure the current version 2.6 has this capability and more that we are waiting to upgrade to. You have to dig a bit to get to the settings and permissions for specific activities. For example, a common user issue is with Student access to a forum. It is not obvious that some forums are specifically for teacher announcements (meaning that students aren't able to respond, just read the announcements). By the time I get issue, the course creator has a dozen or so forums setup with participants already subscribed, which means that it is easier for me to go into each forum and override the native rights. When you have scores of courses running each containing a dozen or more forums that each need to have permissions touched, it is a lot of work from the admin point of view. The lighter side is that with the proper training, or sandbox playing, creators can discover this nuance before its' too late. The native chat activity doesn't really work in version 1.9. We use FlashChat by Host123 when our course leaders need a course chat room. In version 1.9, there is not a lot of wiggle room in changing the look and feel of the courses. You can add, subtract and move blocks around, you can assign a theme, but it is not the most modern look and feel.

Moodle for University Student

Overall this is very good useful e- learning platform to any students specialy in lockdowne periods like in these corona pandamic days.I is very helpful to me to do my studies continuesly and I hope it will be very helpful to you.

Pros

Moodle is a very good e- learning platform which can provide best space for education between lecturer and students.That is the best part of this E-learning platform which I like most because it provide many options and facilities to lectures and students to do their teaching and learning things very easily.Specialy on lockdowne periods like these corona pandamic days I produce grate platform to do distance learning and education.There for It was very helpful to me to doing my studies continuesly without any disturb even every lectures and university was postponed and closed.My lectures was able to continuesly upload the lecture slides and videos to the moodle and it supply every facilities for do the lecture in online.I am very happy for that because it was very easy to interact with those lectur videos and slides.It was very helpful to me.And it also give the facility to lectures to create online assignments and we are able to submit our answers to it through over our profile.There for lectures able to checkout our learning progress and moodle automatically give the marks which we achieved as soon as we submit our assignments.It was very helpful to me because I can know my marks quickly there for I can ready for my next assignment very well.I really like this platform.

Cons

Still I did not found any downgrades to this platform but I do not like to Moodle mobile application.Because I has not much of function to interact with our Moodle profile like web interface.I like if this mobile or web platform inform us any new lectures or reaching a submission due dates like alarm or reminders.it has show up some notifications but still it has not this functionality which I mention previous.When I going to submit some assignment it has some file capacity limit there for I had to face many difficulties when going to compress my submission and upload it.I thought it is better to have much more uploading capacity limit than now.

Candace from Student

My school has used Moodle for as long as I can remember, and it works well within our district!

Using Moodle has been--and continues to be--incredibly convenient for students and teachers alike in my district. Teachers can easily create online tests/quizzes that don't require the hassle of printing and making copies, then grading an entire stack of papers. Students can take the tests and quizzes with ease, and see the immediate results of the automatically-graded multiple choice questions (which saves teachers time, too!). Also, videos can be implanted into lessons, which is very convenient for pausing or rewinding at one's own pace if they zone out or don't understand the topic and need to hear the explanation again. My life as a student was made simpler with the use of Moodle, and I cannot recommend it enough!

Pros

Moodle makes online classwork incredibly easy to create (as a teacher), as well as simple to do and turn in (as a student). All the classes a student is enrolled in are clearly displayed, and classwork within each class is organized well. In addition, being able to immediately see how one did on a quiz/test (the multiple choice, at least) is very convenient.

Cons

When posting in a discussion/forum (my teachers called them "journal entries"), all students can see each other's responses. While this could be good for class discussion, it also makes it incredibly easy for a student to see another student's response, then copy and paste it as their own. (This happened with myself and another student, as she was copying my responses.) In smaller classrooms, this may not be much of an issue as it will be easy to spot, but in larger class sizes it can be easy for teachers to not remember every student's exact answer, and give the cheater the credit.

Marco from Ompi North America - Stevanato Group

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Leading open source e-Learning solution

We adopted Moodle in our company to setup an e-Learning plaform for training to both manufacturing and office employees (around 500). Most of our courses are related with production practices, quality and work instructions, and main supports are represented by professionally recorded footage, SCORM compliant. We're still at deployment phase, with massive upload of users (very convenient), definition of roles, and structuring of courses, but the platform itself feels very responsive, quick and efficient. Included features are very impressive, and can be easily enriched by available plugins, that allow a very tailored customization.

Pros

Moodle is the reference open source e-learning platform, with recognized robustness of its architecture and responsiveness of design. Offers very detailed configuration options, allowing complete customization upon your needs. Moodle community is extremely active, with wide availability of certified 3rd party plugins, and documentation for every step. Extremely good compatibility with most common media formats, and compatible with most common SCORM standard. Being a pro-level platform, Moodle is ideal for both business and scholar deployments.

Cons

Require expertise in order to be installed on premise with proper secure configutarion (internal server / hosted VPS) and require training and documentation reading to really handle and customize the platform. Not for newbies.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

On premise (hosted VPS) solution was preferred because offers higher php customization options (like max upload file size), which is perfect if you need to upload footage. Moodle is the most complete open source on-premise solution. While fully hosted solutions generally limit the file size of uploaded files.

Mitchell from Lee University Adult Learning

Moodle from a Helpdesk Perspective

Pros

I have been supporting faculty and students for over four years on Moodle. One of the best features is the friendliness of the LMS environment. It is fairly easy to take an adult learner with minimal online experience from the login page to submitting assignments. The second aspect on my scale is usability. The LMS is simple enough to learn without a manual. To learn some of the advanced features may take sometime to discover unless you are utilizing the user guide and then it becomes a jumping point to enhance a course even more. Working and playing with the environment with a "seek and find" approach provides a great foundation for supporting various clients. My institution uses the hosted environment, Moodlerooms. It is a great time and budget saver as we really cannot afford a full-time position and pay what should be paid to an individual and expect the environment to be up 99%+ and 24x7. One other advantage is planned updates every 6 months. Moodlerooms is typically one version behind which gives the Moodle community time to finish shaking out all the bugs.

Cons

The one thing I dislike about the vendor is the minimal number of add-in modules provided to the institutions. There are numerous add-ins out in the Moodle user world that could be an asset to our students but are not there because of the locked down environment provided by Moodlerooms.

MARIA RENEE from Virtual University of Uganda

Moodle helping e-learning

Moodle is a very useful platform for e-learning. It has everything to teach online. I can recognize 3 levels of users for this software. - The administrator who is in charge to set up the environment and moodle experience for other users. - The teacher who is going to use tools to make an online course exciting, and - The student that will enjoy the course and participate in it though the collaborative tools. If you can do the work of the 2 first levels, congratulations, you are a Moodle expert.

Pros

- You can manage a whole school or university in the academic area with Moodle and for the administrative help you have a big list of choices to get plugins or ERPs compatible with Moodle. - If you know how to use it is a wonderful experience for the teachers and students. - Once that you have the course online, it is a beautiful tool. - There is a lot of documentation and forums about Moodle that can help you to solve almost every issue that you will face using it.

Cons

- It's a free software but is difficult to install and maintain for a person who is not related with IT. So a good option is get it as a SaaS (software as a Service) paying for hosting and upgrades but having the experts doing it, so you can focus in the academic area. - You have to learn how to use it properly and it takes time. - Prepare a course is heavy and a hard work, there are some functionalities that could help us to do it easier, like be capable us to erase or move multiple objects at the same time.

Good for students

I have used it for years to upload assignments and track my grades. I like the instant feedback of grades if the professors are prompt in grading.

Pros

I like that I can track my grades, submit assignments in the drop boxes and take quizzes. this is a good program for keeping track of assignments weekly. I like the check box feature which allows me to check off files I have viewed or quizzes I have completed which allows me to not keep clicking on powerpoint files I have already downloaded.

Cons

I dislike how if you have an administrator of the page such as a professor who is not savvy with technology or does not keep up with the moodle page, it looks like you have a bad grade if certain things aren't entered correctly or if they haven't corrected things. It also has limitations of any online platform where the administrator doesn't make the file or quiz visible and then they have a hard time seeing why the students havent done the assignment. I only used canvas briefly, but I think it was slightly better in its ease of use, but I am not very familiar with moodle so it is hard to compare ease of use from the student prospective. The alerts and messaging system is a little clunky and I prefer to use email instead. you have to change your preferences or you will get way too many email notifications every time someone comments on a massive discussion post.

Robyn from Self Employed

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Moodle definitely increases learning quality.

Moodle is the Learning Management System (LMS) of choice for the university that I attended. Dew to the nature of the course that I studied; Architectural Technology, we relied heavily on physical interaction with one another in our Department. So throughout most of the duration of my university career, our department didn’t really have a need for the software; that was until the world was hit by a pandemic. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, like many others, we had to opt for alternative learning methods. At first, I found it a bit difficult to get a hang of the software but that didn’t last long as pretty soon, using the software felt like a breeze. It was great having my learning resources all in one place. Being able to log into one site and immediately have an overview of tutorials, assignments, and tests for all my modules, made life so much easier as it exempted me from having to go through the hassle of manually bringing that information together. Managing my modules and my time had never been easier. I actually regret the fact that it took a pandemic for us to start using Moodle. I am under the firm belief that if we had used it earlier, my entire university experience would have been improved.

Pros

Moodle is the industry standard for Learning Management Systems (LMS). Supports multimedia content creation and delivery. Moodle offers flexibility in a way that it can handle learning management of various levels of complexity. Made online learning easy and less stressful when the pandemic forced education institutions to completely cross over to online and distance learning. Makes tracking progress easy for both educators and learners.

Cons

Has a very steep learning curve. When starting with Moodle, one is very prone to user error. The user interface needs work.

Larry from Crowley's Ridge College

I built the server, installed the software and moodle runs flawless for many years.

Its Free, powerful and user friendly. It constantly get updates and improvements.

Pros

When installed on a good server and once it is setup, then leave it alone and it will run flawless. I update moodle every 6 months for security and feature improvements. It has not ever crashed on me. You have to follow the installation instructions exactly. Always create backups. I use supermicro motherboards with xeon processors and lots of ram. We have a little over 200 college students and they like using it. Some teachers say that Blackboard might have a few more features. Moodle is free and can do anthing we want. The only extra apps we install in moodle is the attendance and collapsed topics. No problems with these. We mainly use the default settings on the server install and also on moodle. We use one of the skins that come with it. We have one person that creates the classes each semester and helps the teachers if they need it. Once your classes are setup, you can copy them over for the next semester.

Cons

None that we have. Basically stick with the basic setup. Do as little experimenting as possible with different addons. Then just let it run. Ours only goes down when I install updates or a large power outtage.

Ajay from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Best Education System I've Used

My overall experience with Moodle is positive. The other software program that I use is Compass 2G which is inferior to Moodle when it comes to user experience and submitting assignments. The user experience of Moodle is overall great.

Pros

Moodle is a fantastic way for students to keep track of their grades, assignments, and other information regarding class. Moodle makes it easy for students to keep track of what they are supposed to be doing week-by-week.

Cons

There are not many major cons to Moodle. However the way of taking a timed exam on Moodle when it is proctored needs to be improved. When scrolling through the questions you can't see how much time you have left on the exam unless you scroll all the way up. It would also by beneficial for Moodle to have their own video conference feature.

Moodle Makes Students Life to be Easier Than ever

I actually love the functions of this Moodle. It provides the best features for students to learn and review their lectures. Furthermore, it associates with other learning tools on its website. I strongly recommend students should use Moodle to improve their grades.

Pros

Using moodle will give you better control in your studying. I have a fantastic experience during my school year at York University with amazing management software as Moodle. It helped us organize folders in each course section, so you can find your course faster. Also, the appearance is straightforward to see. Especially, whenever the course in the progress meets the end, the course folder will be automatically put into the past section. It is really fancy. Moreover, every lecture of the course will be posted on Moodle before the class started. Students can access to read ahead of the lecture which giving them more information and understanding about the lecture of the day.

Cons

So far, I could not find any errors with Moodle after giving me a great impression with its neat and organized; except, there was one that causes annoying me which Moodle usually update its version, so I cannot access at the important time that I want to log in to Moodle.

From a Teaching Assistant point of view

Personally I really enjoy Moodle because it eliminates a lot of the excuses that students made in the past (losing papers, not writing stuff down). We provide them with the material and they are responsible for it. It also allows us to encourage discussion that we can then see the result of, allowing us to monitor how well students are understanding the course material.

Pros

I used Moodle from a TA point of view for university level courses. I liked it because I was able to upload powerpoint presentations, documents and other handouts for students to download on their own. This made material distribution easier because students can't lose handouts. Further, I like that students are able to refer to notes that are prepared by me, allowing them to pay more attention in the classroom, rather than madly writing everything down. Further, it allows students to interact with each other through discussion forums where they can ask questions to one another or have discussions about class content. I can monitor these and step in if students need a nudge in the right direction.

Cons

Moodle takes a bit of time to learn from the user/student perspective. They need to spend some time playing with it to figure out what tools are available and how to access different areas.

María Gabriela from Universidad de Guadalajara

The best platform for education

Once you know how to use it, it allows you to manage administrative times and processes. It is a neat platform, in which you can include many educational resources, such as quizzes, videos, exams and collaborative work, for an asynchronous modality course. It is still difficult for me to make use of all its functions, but I cannot deny that it is a professional platform.

Pros

It is a robust and very complete platform.

Cons

It is not easy to take advantage of it if you do not learn to use it. You need to take a course to learn how to use it. It is not easy to take advantage of it if you do not learn to use it. At my university we have had to follow a course to learn how to use it.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

In fact, I use both platforms, but I am migrating to Moodle for administration issues of my courses.

Umaash from North Carolina State University

Moodle Review

Pros

From the view of a student, Moodle is an excellent way to find class materials such as lectures, notes, homeworks, practice tests, and other forms in an easily accessible way. Within specific classes, the materials are often organized by date making it easy to find what you're looking for. The software also displays grades and can help you keep track of class progress. Additionally, online homework can be submitted through the website, minimizing the amount of different softwares students need to download per class. From the point of view of a teaching assistant, Moodle is user friendly when entering grades for individual assignments. Graders can comment on a student's performance which is helpful and the grading page is easy to navigate and straight forward.

Cons

When participating in forums through Moodle, there were sometimes issues viewing other students' posts or writing posts yourself. Additionally, the website is only as useful as the professor makes it, so without professor involvement, many of the site's features are not utilized. Additionally, the mobile version of the software could be improved for better ease of use.

Joshua from First Presbyterian Day School

Moodle has been a game changer in organizing, delivering content, and facilitating learning

Great features at low cost!

Pros

I've been using Moodle for 6 years in my practice as an educator. It has been a total game changer for me in organizing units/resources/assignments, assessment, and making it possible to teach effectively in a 1 to 1 environment. From facilitating online forums to creating end of term assessments, Moodle has made it easy to move the classroom into the 21st century through an intuitive, customizable, and easy to master, open source platform. I've used blackboard, desire2learn, and sampled other online class formats, but Moodle is easily the most cost effective and offers similar capabilities. There really is not much you can't do in terms of managing curriculum and assignments in moodle.

Cons

The one con of Moodle is feedback and creating assessments. While these features are possible and I do use them, I often have found other programs which do this better. However, they also cost considerably more which is something to consider. While some of the ease of use is lacking in moodle, and certain features can be a headache, I feel the benefits often outweigh other programs which do similar things at higher cost.

Best open source LMS

We have implemented this solution for a professional training institute. During quarantine period they were able to deliver all there trainings online and process assessment through this platform. Installation was easy, but configuration and customization was very tricky. However after taking support from vendor and community experts , we were able to resolve most of the critical issues we faced. However now it is stable and working perfectly fine.

Pros

+ Open source + Effortless site building capabilities + Large community support and principal vendor support + Mobile friendly to the end-user. + Different plans available according to the end-user count

Cons

+ UI is not up to the expected level. + Installation is easy, but configuration is a mess. Need much time to identify how it works. + Need good IT skill to manage

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Customer wanted go with Open source. And Moodle was a cheaper option for us.

Bahaddin from University College London

Effective learning management system

In this last year we switched to online education, Moodle is an effective program for both students and teachers. An open education opportunity can be offered in the courses prepared for students. Students can follow the lectures offered on the platform whenever they want and can communicate with the communication panel. Assignment feature in Moodle are more comfortable for both educators and students.

Pros

I used Moodle for an organization to implement an e-learning platform. Moodle leaves a free working space and offers the opportunity to make adjustments whenever I want. There are many options for creating and editing courses. In addition, tasks and assignments follow-up of the courses and user privileges are very well designed. The other good thing is the calendar that for students and educators can send reminders to students to keep track of important dates about the course when necessary. The fact that it hosts many file formats as required, which provides the possibility to add many elements, makes Moodle very effective.

Cons

Learning Moodle takes time. Necessary training must be taken to be able to use it effectively. I made use of the training videos available in their website.

Matthew from University of Nottingham

There is not a better learning platform in existence!

In the very beginning when I first started to work with moodle, I found it incredibly difficult to navigate due to all the different features that existed within the software. Luckily it seems like moodle has a lot of helpful documentation which provided me with the understanding that I needed to fully appreciate the platform. Overall, most of our students use Moodle nearly every day, we use it to send out assignments/mark work along with giving helpful guidance/notes to students that they could use for exams.

Pros

Moodle as a platform is just fantastic, it is very robust and you can customize it quite a lot. The documentation they provide is top-notch and really helps you understand the platform in its entirety. The responsiveness of the platform itself and its user interface is what makes it a great platform for students learning. Overall the community that uses moodle is very active and if you have any trouble at all, they are always there to help any of your needs.

Cons

When i first started to use the platform it was very hard to grasp and if you are trying to wrap your head around it without documentation you will have a hard time doing so. Their mobile app is also in need of some updating as it falls flat compared to competing for software. Overall, I think moodle is really one of a kind though and we will continue to use them for the foreseeable future!

Virtual Aula, with some limitations

Pros

I'm preparing a virtual aula for my students, and after looking for a while for different options, I decided to use Moodle, The main reason is that it offers almost everything that I need for my classes while its use is totally free. You can create multiple kinds of accounts for different purposes, such as the administrator role, teacher role or student role. Each of them can only access a limited number of options. Also, the variety of activities that can be included are more than enough to cover all the needs your students may have: from filling gaps to sending their own writings. Each student is given a personal account where they can keep record of their progress and contact their teacher privately.

Cons

What I like less about it is that it is not intuitive at all, you will need to either hire a professional or dedicate long hours to figure out how it works. On the positive side, it is a very popular software, and therefore you will find a lot of tutorials and help online. You cannot rely a lot on its official customer service as they seem to have a lot of users it is not very easy to contact them.

La herramienta para enseñanza que ya es una necesidad conocer

Como administrador y maestro, facilita enormemente el proceso de evaluación a los alumnos, todos los exámenes los aplico a través de la plataforma al igual que las tareas o actividades; al ser manejado también como un repositorio es practico alojar en el las presentaciones o informes que los alumnos requieren para su estudio. Por ultimo en el modelo de competencias, todo el contenido del curso lo exporto como la evidencia (calificaciones, tareas, exámenes, trabajos y material del curso), de modo que el cierre de curso es muchísimo más ligero que como en antaño se hacía.

Pros

Moodle desde la perspectiva del maestro (más en estos días) es una herramienta cada vez más indispensable, permite hacer exámenes y tareas con configuraciones específicas que permiten variar las preguntas (evitando así malas prácticas de los alumnos), establecer tiempos de respuesta y horarios de aplicación, más aparte la facilidad de que pueden llegar a ser auto evaluados. Aunado a lo anterior, como alumno es muy práctico que la información de toda la asignatura se encuentre concentrada en una única plataforma, dando también más formalidad al curso. Desde el punto de vista del soporte a la plataforma, esta puede ser adquirida de modo gratuito y cargada en un servidor propio de la institución educativa. El proceso de administración dentro de la herramienta es sencillo ya que tiene muy buen suporte a roles y permisos; además es multilenguaje.

Cons

No es un dato completamente malo, pero el proceso de instalación del servidor en algunos casos puede ser engorroso, aunque depende más por parte de la tecnología de quien lo quiere instalar, pero se podría mejorar un poco el gestor de base de datos y de alojamiento de archivos.

Chamroeunrith from PSE NGO

Moodle Still the best platform for Distance Learning

if we just using the moodle for normal use for internal school is fine, but if hosting for public is not so good with security and bandwidth as my experience and cost more on implementation, training, hosting services.

Pros

- alot of features if compare to another platform - can coding for more module and integrated with many plugin - more professional for higher education, especially for k9-k12, university.

Cons

well, moodle is require alot of IT resource to develop it according to the school need. - teacher are require high knowledge of using it, also when hosting it slow and sometime during alot of access at the same time its slow. - security also the concern problem for IT to consider too because its need to upgrade often for bug fix, and sometime during upgrade it caused error not accessible when we have the plugin integrated alot.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

well, copy the lesson to student via flash it make alot of problem especially virus, so we decided to use moodle instead, to reduce the risk of virus attack via flash usb.

Siddharth from DigitalWellness.Directory

Great and economical

Moodle is an enterprise grade tool to effectively manage and deploy e-learning. Course developerment and instructional design methodologies are very well built-in to the core of how moodle works.

Pros

Moodle has been supporting the academic and research community from decades. It's vibrant development community has created a true gift for the world to use and grow with. Amazing ecosystem, stable, fast platform.

Cons

There's not much to not like about Moodle. The community just keeps upgrading it. It could perhaps have tighter integrations with wordpress and woocommerce platforms.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Moodle kept getting better, although dokeos was just a little better in 2012.

Brayan Agostinho from SOAINT

good web portal oriented to distance education where you can educate and learn from home or work

Pros

Moodle is a good web education portal, where students can study and learn from home, work and much more ... Moodle adds a large number of educational administrators where students can participate in a group or alone. among them we have: glossaries, lessons and it allows us to buy files like word, excel, pdf .... It also includes a tool where tutors can share and add information on the website so that students can interact with it. It also adds a chat function, both group and individual.

Cons

Moodle should integrate tools such as: video chat, real-time chats and a wider integration of files such as videos and audios. At the time of uploading a file we also find the problem that should not be very heavy in terms of memory. since we have a limited amount of megabits (MB) to upload a file depends on the activity that is developed. Moodle should also improve its interface and make it more comfortable for the user, it can be a bit difficult to use for some users. Moodle continues to grow and I hope it will improve all your problems as several universities have adapted their service to teach distance learning.

Moodle: A must tool for every undergraduate

It is a great tool which connects everyone even outside the study room. It is a great tool for evaluate our self and easily track and evaluate ourself. Highly recommended tool for the students.

Pros

I'm a Moodle user during my University life(2014-2018) and it’s a simple and useful tool for everyone. Normally every lecturer uploads learning materials through moodle and it's really helpful for everyone. It allows us to up-to-date with each module and lecturers also can tack the students that how often connected with their modules. Its completely free to use and there is a mobile application available which is easy to use. We also can upload and submit our assignments, quizzes & projects and it helps to track our process day-to-day. It's also a major communication tool between lecturer and student and it is a professional way to communicate.

Cons

Most of the people don know the actual purpose of LMS and it needs more advertising to attract newbies. Need some UI improvements to easy to use. Sometimes the page is laggy during upload and we need improvements in this department as well.

The best software for students and teacher for education

I have been using Moodle in the University for almost 4 years. And it is just an incredible way of submitting projects, communicating with professors and other students.

Pros

Moodle is the best software for learning both on and off campus. The applications is full of unique features allowing teachers and professors to adjust the system to their preferred way of education. Instructors are able to run the whole teaching experience through the software and to monitor the activities of their students. I am a student who has been using the software for about 4 years and it is the easiest and most convenient way of submitting my projects and checking the deadlines of the submissions. The Moodle also provides an easy way to communicate with your professors, and the forum system is an incredible way for starting discussions with other students of the same course. Using Moodle is also very convenient when it comes to resources as professors can easily share all the required materials with students.

Cons

As a student I don't have any complains concerning the Moodle.

Jennifer from California State University

Moodle is great for course materials and management

Moodle feels modernized and is user friendly as a course management tool from both the teacher and student viewpoints. I highly recommend it over the commonly used Blackboard which I previously used for 8 years.

Pros

Moodle is very user friendly and has an aesthetically pleasing interface. You can easily navigate between courses and sections of the same course. Assignments, grades, solutions, and other course information is easily input and uploaded to the system and viewed by students.

Cons

It frequently has outages for maintenance and upgrades. Although these are planned in advance and during times of low usage, it would be nice to use software that is reliable 24/7 for that student who needs to upload an assignment at the last minute.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Moodle is more user friendly and modern.

José Miguel from Universidad Austral de Chile

The old and trusted Moodle

From the teacher perspective, until now my experience with Moodle is great. Before Moodle we are using Dokeos, so the new functionalities we can found in Moodle were great for our remote classes and evaluations. The learning curve is not so smooth, but thanks to the enormous and great community behind this tool, you can sort all the obstacles you find in the beginning. I don't miss Dokeos at all; I think the change was the right decision; however, the user interface is something that Moodle should modernize.

Pros

Excellent set of features. You can find all you need from an LMS and much more. Easy to use from the teacher and student perspective.

Cons

Even with the user interface update and transformation, Moodle still looks old. Maybe this is intentional, and leave this part for the custom UIs you can find online.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

My University make the change.

Useful backbone to online learning offerings

Our University uses Moodle at the heart of our distance learning program. Alongside a few other initiatives I think it has improved the experience of distance students markedly and I think that as it develops further, Moodle has the potential to offer even more to these students.

Pros

Moodle requires very little technical knowledge to get something up and running and then, if you have a little skill in that area, it can accommodate that to allow for a little shine to be added to an offering. This means that one of the key drives to using it, blended teaching offerings, is actually achievable and easily so for a range of teaching staff.

Cons

While it enriches distance learning offerings, the simplicity of moodle (such as an abundance of drag and drop implementation) does also bring its own set of quirks. It can be a little clunky and resources intensive on old servers and while it provides a lot of advanced features to complement the simplicity they are not always immediately obvious and sometimes not particularly well labelled. Some of this is down to the technical staff that customise and implement the offering but that is perhaps the drawback. That Moodle is so flexible and customisable that one offering of it may look and feel very different to another.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,684 reviews