All Kindful Reviews

Robert

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

March 2022

Incredibly Useful and Powerful

I use Kindful for our non-profit accounting and donor management (CRM)

Pros

Kindful is designed to be part of - not the whole of - a CRM/fund accounting strategy. The upside of this is that you are not pigeonholed into one system forever - it is designed to play nicely with other programs/systems. Once you go through the learning curve, the program is straightforward and easy to use. Customer support is fantastic for questions. I have to manually enter quite a few transactions, and it is much easier to do with Kindful than with Quickbooks. Automatic reports to my board of directors are fantastic. Also, for fund based accounting, this is much simpler to use than quickbooks - I do the math through kindful and my accountant does it through quickbooks - the information is automatically shared through the quickbooks integration. Zapier integration means you can get information in and out of kindful easily. Different price points for different organization sizes is key - a low cost entry point was a big deal for me.

Cons

Not the most intuitive layout, so takes some time getting used to, but once you do it is a very powerful tool. Looks good on a desktop, but not on iphone display. Integration with quickbooks is my main goal and is not perfect - numbers sync fine but sometimes followup is necessary to make sure the accounts/funds are credited properly. Would love to see an integration with campaign monitor for emails and a better to-do/task sharing interface (like basecamp).

Response from Kindful

Hey David, Thanks a million for the positive review! We're extremely grateful for the overwhelmingly positive comments you have about Kindful. Our main focus is being a platform that can connect to the services you need ¿ so it's a huge pat on our back to hear that you're able to use the QuickBooks and Zapier integrations to improve your accounting and database management. We also appreciate the critical feedback. Improving the QuickBooks integration is on our radar, as well as improving mobile friendliness. It's also good to know how our customers prefer to use tasks/to-do's, so that feedback is huge as well. Thanks again for the awesome review. It's very thorough and lets us in on the ways our customers are using Kindful. We're grateful to have you in the Kindful family! ¿¿ - Jared E

Replied October 2017

Kindful: Simple for somethings, but not very flexible

In general it has been good in that it enabled us to take payments from donors and recurring payments and ACH payments. But I feel that we are struggling to get it working the way it should or to fully meet our needs.

Pros

I really like the fact that Kindful has a clean interface and makes certain things really simple: e.g. running a campaign, accepting donations online, setting up automatic emails to thank people, etc.

Cons

Somethings just seem much harder than they should be. e.g. (1) designing reports to work the way you want them to. In most cases you have to export it to Excel and muck around with it there - even things like column ordering is non definable. (2) Integration with Mailchimp for instance works, as long as you do it exactly as they want. For instance, Mailchimp sets users Country to "United States", Kindful sets it to "United States of America". So, guess what - the contacts will not sync to Mailchimp! I updated all the country names in Mailchimp and it still did not work. Advice from Kindful= perhaps don't collect that information!? (3) Groups sound powerful (e.g. group all the people who live in a certain geographic area) BUT they are not dynamic. So you add a new user for that area and they don't end up in the group! Until you re-run the rules or manually add them to the group. This is super unhelpful - there definitely ought to be an auto-update option. (4) When you set up groups based on a set of rules, you can't go back and edit the criteria for the selection. I don't think you can even see what the criteria was...?? It's frustrating because the software has lots of great features and it works hard to be simple. It's just that somethings don't work as well as you expect them to. I don't think that this is a trade off of functionality for simplicity's sake - it just seems lacking in places.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

I've used Salesforce before and found it clunky for non-profits. Also I feel that you really need a Salesforce administrator to set up and use the product. With Kindful it looked a lot more out of the box (and indeed setting up payments and things was far far faster and simpler). With Virtuous - I think it came down to cost. Kindful seemed to have pretty decent features for the price, but now I'm not so sure...

Colleen

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

A clumsy, confusing attempt at a Donor CRM system

Pros

It is better than the system we were using before, which was not a CRM platform. We have the capability to add notes and upload documents to a constituent's record. That's about it.

Cons

Our problems with Kindful began with the data upload. Some of our batches were uploaded twice and the support team at Kindful could do nothing to rectify it. Once your data is into the system, it's a complete mess to view. It's organized in abstract boxes across the screen and difficult to filter for the info you need. We were excited that the platform integrated with MailChimp- but this has proven to be an awful integration. Kindful makes note of every time someone clicks on the email, so some records show as many as 20-30 actions for one sent email (apparently when users delete their emails in batches, this heightens the problem). Creating reports in Kindful is essentially impossible. Selecting your filters for output and view fields is difficult (a selection of check boxes organized alphabetically, not categorically). And once you finally create the awful report- you can save it, but can't go back and make any changes to the criteria you've set. So basically, start over. Then you might want to acknowledge your donors- good luck, because the merge fields are basic and dysfunctional, and the letters are ONLY generated as a PDF- so you can't edit them. Even the best of CRM systems doesn't get this perfect, and needs to offer editing capability. I also only learned the hard way that if you upload a gift manually, the system is going to automatically send an acknowledgement to that recipient unless you tell it otherwise. Overall- pay more for a slightly better system. Kindful is one of the cheapest on the market, and I can 100% see why.

Response from Bradley

Colleen, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We take immense pride in providing software that makes donor management easier and provides meaningful insights into your donors. I want to start off by saying that I have reviewed your comments and suggestions with our support, onboarding and product teams as we do with all reviews and we will take all of your suggestions into consideration. I do want to make sure I address a few of your comments directly: As it pertains to the data our team helped you upload - It is important to understand that the quality of the data being uploaded is very important and that our team often works through duplication issues with many of our clients when they are bringing in data from multiple sources. It is common to initially have many duplicates. Your case was a bit more complex than many we see so we escalated the issue to our engineering team to have them help get everything deduped properly. However, I did see on August 1st that you had declined our offer for further help. Our team would love to help address any challenges you may be having here. If you’d like to reconsider our offer, please do not hesitate to reach out. We’re committed to ensuring that every new organization that joins Kindful starts with accurate data in our platform. We are also so sorry to hear that you’re not finding value in our reporting and donor profiles. These are two areas that our clients rave about in Kindful. They love the ability to filter and report at a high level and also review in-depth data on individual donors and specific donor groups. I have asked Jared, your onboarding rep, to reach back out to see if we can provide any additional training around these features free of charge - As with any new system, there is a bit of a learning curve. We want to be sure you’re fully utilizing all of the features at your disposal and clarify any questions or concerns you may have. As you continue to use Kindful we hope that you will find the tool as useful as so many of our organizations do, and just know that you can always reach our support team by phone or email during business hours to help you through any questions or concerns you have.

Replied August 2018

Lisa

September 2022

Kindful makes it easy!

Customer service from start to finish and ongoing is awesome! No complaints on this end!!

Pros

The ease of connecting with Quickbooks has made Kindful a win for me! Although I have not used all parts of the Kindful program, the things that I have used are so great for our organization! The charts are helpful for our [SENSITIVE CONTENT] to present at board meetings. Putting together a strategic plan was less stressful with the ease of reporting and charts. Just like anything else, you need to take time to "play" with the various parts...I haven't had the time to do it all!!!

Cons

Still wondering the same thing...haven't sent out group emails yet, but will be attempting that soon!

Reasons for choosing Kindful

Price was a big deal but also the non-nagging customer service and onboarding!

Tara

A Great Gift for a Growing Non-profit

Our donor retention has increased, our organization and capacity for communication has more than double. We love Kindful!

Pros

When we decided to implement Kindful as our donor management and CRM software, we didn't realize the gift that we were giving ourselves as an organization. Kindful has allowed us to grow and scale in a way that wasn't possible before implementation. It has given us insight and helped us with donor retention. It has reduced our workload and made growth possible.

Cons

It's such a powerful tool that it can be difficult to learn sometimes; however, compared to other tools out there, it's a beautiful interface with a much shorter learning curve.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

Ease of use, customer service, and flexibility.

Reasons for switching to Kindful

Ease of use and better interface.

Jim

Industry: Music

A step forward

To date, it has been a positive experience from data entry to reporting. I hope, with the recent hire of an administrative manager, that we will make better use of the software.

Pros

After one year of using another product, I requested that my team member investigate other options. After reviewing several options, Kindful seemed to match the needs we had and addressed the paths that we hoped to go. We are still in the learning curve of the many features, but the software has been very helpful in achieving what we need.

Cons

I have not had too many negative experiences with the software. I wish there was a way to print the dashboard for overview reports for my board. If there is a way I would like to learn it.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

At the time, my recall is that it seemed the most user-friendly.

Reasons for switching to Kindful

I did not find the data pertinent to what I needed and subsequently, the reporting was pointless.

Heather

December 2021

Intuitive, Useful, and Friendly

Our overall experience has been good. Have worked out most of the kinks over the last year and have been able to train other staffers to use it with ease. Thankful for the support and quick answers to our questions and resolutions (though not always solutions) to our challenges.

Pros

Easy to use. Has most of what we need without being overwhelming or requiring our own IT/programming team. Friendly and helpful support.

Cons

Not as customizable as some CRMs are, so while Kindful Is taking care of most of our needs, we have had to hobble a few things together with it to make it serve all of our needs.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

We chose Kindful because it made the most sense with our organizational size and needs.

Reasons for switching to Kindful

We did not have the technical capacity to make Salesforce meet our needs and we did not require a system that was quite as robust as Salseforce was.

Mark Senyo

Through kindful, we have raised funds to cover treatment & reintegration costs of over 100 patient

We were struggling to provide essential and proper care to poorer clients who could not cover the costs of their treatment, often resulting in premature discharge of clients needing additional care. Once we established our foundation to help raise funds for such cases, Kindful has been really great in helping us source donations, particularly from international benefactors. We are now able to reach a lot more of clients needing financial support than ever before.

Pros

Unlike most fundraising platforms, Kindful provides very clear and concise pricing plans that do not conceal any hidden fees or fine-print clauses that trick clients out of funds raised. This is a very transparent process that allows us to be confident in the financial reporting of each campaign to our partners and donors without any impact on the trust they have in us. Also, Kindful makes the process of donation extremely easy by making contributions possible through multiple quick processing channels.

Cons

Compared to other alternatives we tried, I find that their training resources are a little too narrow in focus. They could be broadened further to cover all other related elements of nonprofit management and financing.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

For fundraising campaigns to cover treatment costs of individual client cases, Kindful seemed better suited. We rely on the others for the much bigger campaigns.

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Kindful has saved my life (only partially kidding)

The customer service is fantastic - every person is helpful and kind and I can get someone on the phone. An actual PERSON. Our data migration was handled beautifully. There is so much training I wish I had time to take advantage of.

Pros

This program is so intuitive and well designed it just blows my mind. I'm still learning the ropes but every time I think "Hm I wonder if I can do ...." I realize that Kindful either automatically does that thing or makes it incredibly easy to do. Tasks that used to take me 20 minutes are now literally done automatically. It has a great "brain" that seems to sense what I need and how to deliver it to me quickly. The user interface is also beautiful, which is super important to me.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that it does not make it easy to work with couples as a contact. (So Mr. and Mrs. Jones vs. Mr. Jones.) You can convert them to an organization vs and individual, so it's a minor quibble. I also wish that you could use and add more images on the templates.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

I liked the interface a lot more. Also- the sales for DP were pretty pushy. Frankly Kindful speaks for itself.

Reasons for switching to Kindful

Etapestry is an unmitigated nightmare. I despise it. It's like using a Blackberry in 2019.

Mohammed

a very personal touch to fundraising and donor management

Kindful has helped us manage our fundraising campaigns significantly better. The best part of working with Kindful is that it takes very little getting used to, and training new team members on how to integrate it optimally into their daily routines is not very complex.

Pros

Kindful's payment processing tool works exceptionally well and provides all the security assurances that often have donors concerned about making payments online. Another favorite feature of mine is that multiple admins are allowed per campaign, making collaboration much more effective. Also being able to generate reports on each donor's lifetime of activity always adds a personal touch to our monthly and annual emails.

Cons

Direct integration with major platforms and associated services is quite limited and can mostly only be achieved with third party facilitation. With confidentiality and trust being a very critical element in our relationships, the fewer the number of outlets with data on our operations, the better it would feel.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

Most of the other nonprofits within our network recommended Kindful over the others.

Love Kindful!

Awesome. Best of the best.

Pros

It’s the Goldilocks of CRMs. Not too big and not too small. Support is amazing and to me, that’s the clincher. So many companies tell you how good they are until you purchase and then they disappear. Kindful has always been great. All of these systems are complex and require training of users as well as setup and maintenance, but Kindful makes it as painless as possible.

Cons

I wish that there was a better way to test what recipients receive as acknowledgements. I feel like I could use them more often but I never feel 100% sure that I have it quite right.

Customer service & price

Reasons for switching to Kindful

Turns out that Excel is NOT A CRM.

Jordan

Kindful has grown with us. This is huge for us, and they helped us get to the next level.

I've already recommended this software to many people. It is really easy to recommend to small organizations who are going from nothing to "online." However, there needs to be more development and automation with email marketing, in order for me to recommend this product for an already established (still smaller) organization. As a 1.2 M organization, we are ready for our next growth spurt.

Pros

The user experience is wonderful. From good colors and layouts to ease of use, we have been able to use Kindful to get organized on the backend and jump-start our fundraising.

Cons

The capabilities with email marketing and automation within groups, causes, campaigns, or forms have been a bit difficult for us. There are work-arounds, but we are hoping for more growth and potential in these areas.

Response from Kindful

Hi Jordan, Thanks for writing such a great review! We pride ourselves in growing with our customers, so to hear that back from you is a huge pat on the back over here. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Kindful's interface and data management tools. Hopefully better organization is helping you segment and interact with donors on a deeper level. Your feedback about email marketing and automation is outstanding. We love getting to know how our customers want to continue using Kindful, and I can definitely see that as a next logical step for you. I'll pass that detail along to our product team and we'll look forward to seeing how those tools evolve. Thanks for being part of the Kindful family ¿ and for spreading the word about us! We're extremely grateful to support Oasis for Orphans. Happy fundraising, - Jared E

Replied November 2017

Beth

Industry: Philanthropy

Right product for our needs and budget

The organization is responsive to my questions and needs. I have seen changes to the software since we purchased that have directly addressed my or other users' issues.

Pros

Basic functions are easily taught, yet it has a robust reporting structure that is anything but basic. I can train others to do data entry as we get new donors and donations so they can gain confidence using the system quickly. Then I can show them other features as they are ready to learn more.

Cons

We are a membership organization and the software really isn't designed to manage memberships. They were upfront about this and give suggestions for addressing our needs and it is working for us.

Reasons for choosing Kindful

We are an all-volunteer staff (no paid staff) depending on extra donations to our administrative funds to pay the costs of a database. The volunteers in staff roles change annually so it's important to have a system that is easy to use, but we still needed the robustness of a system with database capabilities. It wasn't the lowest monthly cost, but it was the system offering the most capability at a reasonable cost.

Patrick

Very easy to use

Kindful is a wonderful software, with a really strong customer service team. I have used a number of platforms over the years and I find Kindful to be my favorite. I have never used a "perfect" CRM and we know that there isn’t such a thing, so if you can't have perfect its really nice to have good, with great customer service.

Pros

- It's very user-friendly - It works with most of the other software we use (Mailchimp, Eventbrite, Quickbooks, Zapier...) - Kindful has the very best customer service

Cons

- It's "dashboard" doesn't report accurately, you have to create custom reports to get some of the actual data they advertise. The most frustrating dashboard number they display that isn't accurate is there "Retention Rate" number. Rather than showing donor retention, it shows activity retention, meaning that if someone came to a free event one time and doesn't end up giving a donation within a year it shows it as a drop in your retention. - The duplicate finder isn't very strong, and takes a lot of manual work. We have to call kindful every few months to ask them to reset the duplicate finder so that it will work again. - The "Fundraising" tools aren't very robust.