• Pros

• "Beautiful design. Incredibly easy to use. Love it all."

• "It is great how you are able to work on the same doc at the same time. I really appreciate the collaboration tools it offers "

• "I like how you can add a spreadsheet or a check list to a document. It's very customizable and the functionality to create it all is easy to use. "

• Cons

• "It takes a bit to learn. The tutorials are helpful, but they dont cover everything. It takes a while to learn all the available functions. And it would be nice to have more font features. "

• "The new UI makes things and tools hard to find. With an extremely clean look where the color white is so predominant, buttons are difficult to see and getting your work done may be more difficult. "

• "This didn't work well for what I was trying to do. Integrations are complicated if even possible and it runs pretty slow."

Browse Quip Reviews

Nikhita from Facebook

An amazing platform to track your ideas

We use quip to track our updates, design documents etc and it has proven to be a really powerful platform for the same.

Pros

1. I love quip as its the only good version controlled platform for taking notes that I have found in my industry experience of over 5 years. 2. Its easy to create public/private versions. I could easily create documents that are public (i.e. outside the firm) and private to me. 3. It is so easy to mark your favorite folders and share it across teams. 4. Its fast. I have found Google Docs to be a bit slower than quip. 5. You could easily import the content into a wiki or a word document with all the formatting intact. 6. You can create an excel sheet (or multiple sheets) in quip itself. 7. Onboarding and gettting used to the platform is really easy.

Cons

1. It behaves odd when creating tables and adding pictures (like indentation sometimes screws up). 2. If you are looking for a platform to create animated documents, quip might not be your friend. It supports basic data representation objects like tables, pictures, worksheets but if you want audio etc, you want to goto powerpoint.

Review for Quip

I am enjoying this tool, and Quip has managed to stand out in this heavily competitive field of online collaboration.

Pros

Quip UI is really smooth, and feels new! it has a good functionality to provide the revision history for the document, which I think is very useful. When multiple folks are simultaneously editing the same document, the revision history for each line provides a very nice view of who changed what. Additionally, Quip has a chat tool embedded in its UI. I use this often to communicate with other folks who are working on the same project.

Cons

I dont have a strong dislike for any of the features, but perhaps one point was it takes significant time for a new guy to get to to speed with the tool and understand all the intricate details. Perhaps the on boarding proceed can be better

Covers your needs for software development

I like working with Quip, because of the fuss-free UI, it's just a simple slate where you can integrate tasks, spreadsheets, code snippets and many more. You can add comments and have version control. You can have all these capabilities separately from different products, but Quip is special in the sense that you can find all these capabilities in a single product which streamlines your work and saves you time.

Pros

What I like most about this is the code block formatting. I tried different extensions with other similar tools, but the result was never as good as Quip. Quip provides formatting, indenting, etc for multiple languages. If you want to share a code snippet, that's really nice and I haven't seen another product come close. You also have to-do tasks, can set the task owners and the deadlines, which is great for collaboration. You can add spreadsheets for metrics. Another feature I find useful is the access settings. Only the people / group you specify can view the file.

Cons

I think Quip has a lot of room to grow in terms of spreadsheet functionalities. It is enough for me for standard operations, but I'm guessing people who work with Excel / Google Sheets on a daily basis would find it hard to migrate to Quip completely.

Perfect for quick notes

Great tool for quick notes and easy access but not a tool I'd recommend to use over Google Drive or Microsoft Office.

Pros

Quip is a great tool to use for your team when quickly brainstorming and jotting down ideas. It strips itself of unnecessary formatting/UI options and provides you a clean slate to work smarter.

Cons

While Quip is easy to use, using Quip as a main tool to create spreadsheets or documents is not something I recommend. Exporting a Quip spreadsheets to Excel will export all the information over but leaves you with a lot of manual formatting and editing and becomes unreliable when needing to export something on the fly. This could be fixed if the "Save to PDF" function worked properly, but alas, saving to a PDF does not allow you to format properly and will include the Header rows and columns into the PDF - thus not allowing you to send clean, concise information over to colleagues.

Quip - what is it good for?

Meh - add it to the growing list of tools that sort of replace other tools, but not in any "wow" kind of way.

Pros

I like that you can do a lot with this software - track spreadsheets, documents, share notes/comments and other collaboration.

Cons

It's hard to find things - even when I favorite things it is hard to find where your favorites are listed. Also, the collaboration is a little tricky; and how should we use this? Replace google docs, or MS Excel/Word?

Chris from Contentarama

The idea is a great one (the execution is another story...)

Pros

I like that Quip is all about getting teams united around content creation. It has some great features but overall it feels like it's missing something to make it easier for the content to go from within Quip to its final destination (webpage, for example).

Cons

It has all these great features, but it getting it from Quip to wherever it needs to go seems like it was as well thought out. I also experience some situations where the version control goes a little haywire from time to time.

Reasons for Choosing Quip

GatherContent seemed better suited for taking content from their tool and porting it into a CMS or other content repository.

Nathan from Dotcom Zambia

Quip's An Alternative to Google Docs and Slack

I tested Quip as part of a team effort to find a collaborative tool that we could incorporate across the board. Over the 6 month period that I tested it, I found that while it was functional for the most part as a lot of things, it failed in key areas that we would need it to work including handling large spreadsheets, edit history and connectivity issues. However the price and slow functionality when it comes to bigger documents/spreadsheets leaves much to be desired and as such, it may not be ideal for anyone but bigger organizations that want to cut off multiple communication channels and document tools. Overall Quip is a good alternative to Slack & Google Apps. However it leaves some things to be desired in the looks and function department.

Pros

Quip is a great collaboration tool that is something similar to Slack, Google Docs and Google Sheets all wrapped up into one. My favorite feature is the collaboration tool which allows you to edit documents and discuss them in real time with other users. You can send messages to other users and Quip has a nice way of letting you know whether a user is online or offline. The messages can be sent to individuals and within a group chat setting. When commenting on spreadsheets, you can annotate cell by cell which is something helpful especially if you are reviewing spreadsheets with a lot of information. File management is a charm. You can easily upload shared documents to folders and limit who can see the documents as well as who can edit/view the documents. One gripe about collaboration apps that I have had in the past is the amount of notifications you get if you have multiple people working on documents/projects etc. Quip solves this by giving you the option to prioritize the notifications you want to this. You can also @ specific people which makes communication easier. Similar to Slack, there is an option to notify everyone with an @everyone option to send messages to a whole team. Quip integrates well with Salesforce, so if you are using Salesforce, this is a good option.

Cons

If you want to test Quip before deciding, you may not like the requirement for a work email. You need constant internet connectivity to make Quip work, if you find yourself in a place where there is no internet, you may be out of luck to use Quip. While Quip is good for communication, editing and collaborating on big spreadsheets slows the app down and you can find it slows down performance. You are better doing light to medium size documents/spreadsheets. When collaborating documents, versioning and edit history are important. It gets hard to revert to an older copy of a document and it can create some confusion if there are a lot of people looking at the same document.

Ciedelle from Amazon

Equipped with Quip!

We use quip to share files among members and teams in our organization and I love how we could easily update and access them from anywhere especially on the mobile as well, it makes collaboration way too easy.

Pros

The design and layout is superb, I specifically love how you can folders visually and it is attractive. Being able to color code them makes organizing files and projects shared across teams more effective.

Cons

Not all file types are supported like scripts, I would have to just upload it as a textfile with the scripts if I wanted it on quip.

Quip a good alternative to Google product offerings

For collaborative document sharing, editing and creation, Quip is a solid choice especially if you rely on integration with Salesforce data.

Pros

My favorite feature of Quip is the tight integration with Salesforce CRM, allowing easy importing and viewing of Salesforce data directly in your Quip documents and sheets.

Cons

Quip seems like a work-in-progress, with many new versions being released on a weekly basis, always playing catch-up with Google Docs/Sheets and Microsoft Office 365.

Pranagnya from Accenture

Review For Quip

Our company uses the quip for all the confidential purposes of the client data

Pros

This software helps the user to store the data confidentially and easy to store compared to other software.

Cons

It is easy to access and easily understandable for the users who frequently use it or also the new users.

Tracy from Schöck North America

Easy to use, great for collaborating, aimed at younger professionals

Collaboration, simple cloud-based tool, integration with Salesforce

Pros

It's super easy to start using and is great for shared documents where you need to have multiple people providing input and updates. I like that two people can be simultaneously working on a document without a problem.

Cons

My annoyances with this software stem from the features - what is there and what is not there. One of my biggest gripes is that Quip believes it is "distracting and not necessary" (their words) to have the option of changing the color of the text. I disagree. As a business professional for the past 25 years, I can tell you there are instances where you need to color code text. I recently had a huge, very collaborative project that I wanted to base out of Quip and THE ONLY REASON I couldn't use Quip was because it had to be color coded and Quip doesn't do that. I've tried appealing to them but so far, no luck. Yet, one apparently "necessary" feature is that you can add an emoji or animated meme to your comments within a document. Really? And that is more important for business communications? I'm guessing this software is being created by a bunch of millennials. I don't begrudge millenials or the "fun" elements that are included, but give me the useful business functionality we have all become accustomed to over the past couple of decades if you truly want to compete for our word processing and spreadsheet needs.

Lisa from WordWell Creative

Best docu-sharing tool for a team

I would highly recommend Quip to any team needing to collaborate on a lot of documents. It keeps us extremely organized, we love the workflow features, and communication tools. We have tried using Google Drive in the past and have STRUGGLED with the shotty navigation and lack of tagging/communication options. Quip is exponentially better than any other docu-sharing tool we've used!

Pros

Simple user interface and easy to onboard my employees. Quip keeps us very organized and is great for tagging each other in comments and collaborating in single documents. They have a number of workflow features that we've used several times to help manage project timelines, etc. I also love that I can share links to documents so clients can pop in and review without having to be added as a full user. We've reached out to customer support several times, especially during the onboarding process, and they have always been extremely helpful.

Cons

Notifications are a little overwhelming and difficult to manage. Very rarely we've had issues with pages not updating or saving, especially when there is a lot of text that has been copy/pasted.

Good Wiki Alternative

I really like Quip. Having used Confluence and various Wikis, I think this is about as good as it gets. There's room for improvement for sure, but 90% of the time it does what I want and I'm able to communicate what I want to colleagues.

Pros

- Good for documentation - It creates links to any part of the document for easy referencing - The WYSIWYG editor works pretty well - The keyboard shortcuts are good - Embedded spreadsheets are neat (though I don't find I use them that often) - Comment functionality really neat, including the ability to "resolve" comments. - Edit History works well

Cons

- I really hate how embedded images work. It's bordering on impossible to make it look how you want and you'll have to compromise on it looking sort of crappy - The search could use some help - The auto numbered or unordered list stuff is annoying as hell and takes some finagling to get around. If you have a "1." then an image, if you type "2." it'll change it into "1." because it thinks you're starting a new numbered list because of the image. Really annoying. - When I look at the Recently Updated list and click "Mark All As Read" why don't all of them become unread? This annoys me more than it should, but why don't they all get makred Read?!

Neeraj from Impact Analytics

Powerful collaboration tool

Productivity, Collaboration, Central repository.

Pros

I use quip mainly to organize my work and collaborate with my team members in documenting feature requirements. Product feature requirements are dynamic - in that, they change often. The ability to have one central location from where all of us can access it makes this a huge time saver for all. It also prevents unnecessary emails as users can chat / comment directly on quip. It also has the ability to create private folders which I use to store work in progress ideas and the ability to restrict access to some files / folders to specific people.

Cons

Quip requires the internet and often I forget that I have to be connected to save changes. Although it has the ability to add spreadsheets, I don't use it much. Also, have noticed when I copy paste code into code-blocks, the pasted content does not fit within the default page-width, but creates a horizontal scroll-bar within the code-block. It's a bit of an irritant to correct that every time.

Quip - a super nice collaboration tool

To be simple, we really like this easy to use collaboration tool.

Pros

So easy to collaboration with colleagues, and for family. Get everything together rather than individual files everywhere. "Word", "Excel", "Powerpoint" lite versions, so easy to use, whatever you want. With google account integration. No hassle for account management. You certainly don't expect it to be super powerful, but it is good enough for our purpose.

Cons

Logic of files arrangement a bit confusing. If you are coming from traditional file system. You may need sometime to get used to it. Moving files around is not that easy, especially if you want to manage multiple files at the same time. It used to be annoying that recent editing panel shows up every time you open the application. Recent updates fix this problem.

Quip combines MS Office or G-Suite into one app

Quip was fine, but it is redundant to both MS Office and/or G-Suite and there is no need for all of these. It was fine, but the ability to have different doc types was alright, but not that needed.

Pros

Quip allowed an easy format to combine multiple document types into one document. It was also great to document sharing across multiple parties and the related and needed tracking or changes, comments, notes, etc.

Cons

The storage / saving and file structure was odd, and the ability to create secure directories vs sharing with everyone was not always clear. Also, the embedded spreadsheets in word docs was ok - but not great. The generalization did not have the same capability as each dedicated system.

Reasons for Choosing Quip

At the time of purchase we felt this would be a better overall sharing solution for the organization.

Jeffry from MakeTechEasier.com

Quip is my one app to create, organize, and collaborate in almost all kinds of documents.

Pros

It's very easy to collaborate on a document. You just add people to it. All the changes are logged so you can see all the things that happen to your document. You can also create all kinds of documents on Quip, from the everyday text document and spreadsheet to the specific kanban board and project tracker (with a little help from Live apps).

Cons

The app lacks the ability to add tags - which will be very helpful to further organize the documents. It also doesn't hurt to add the font-customization feature so that users can set the look and feel of the working environment to their liking.

August 2016

Michael from Lancer Soccer

August 2016

Quit passing email and documents around!

I have a small staff who needs to work together at various times, and usually not in person. We've tried a handful of options (dreaded e-mail chains, Google drive, slack, OneNote, Trello), with varying degrees of success. But when you get right down to it, the majority of our conversations where revolving around documents. With Quip, that is exactly how this is designed. It is a live document centered experience with the ability to comment, discuss, and update to drive to agreed upon results. Other packages we would lose our chain of conversation, or a struggle to find the agenda, spreadsheet, plan. Here, these two elements tie together in one spot. End result for me? Instead of feeling like I was beating on people to keep moving, and often their secretary to help them find what I was talking about, now we work together with faster results and a whole lot less fuss and muss.

Pros

VERY intuitive interface. My staff is resistant to change, and they picked up on this software immediately. Looks good on the web, great on my desktop, and awesome on my phone! Customer support is astounding. Hit the chat window and someone is there immediately.

Cons

Very minor detail here - more of a feature enhancement request. It would be great to tie in some sort of task management, e.g. something with due dates that alert you.

Joby from London Surf ltd

Great way to collaborate

Pros

Very easy document creation that live updates to all users as you create them. No more messing around uploading and downloading documents. Documents have lots of options like spreadsheets tables charts, images and other apps that can be inserted into any doc. You can also manage folders and share them with specific groups of people, so you might have a folder for employees which has all your procedures on it and a separate knowledge base for customers. For free its hard to find a better product

Cons

I would like to see the ability to copy documents between different quip accounts. I'd also like to see direct connections to excel of numbers, to give some more power to some of the features

Good for smaller groups.

Pros

I love how Quip allows you to create both shared and private documents. The language feature is really great (i.e. it is completely functional in Spanish). The folder system is really helpful and is easy to be organized, even with different groups. You can comment on the documents, tag people, and even comment on photos. All changes are tracked.

Cons

Once we got to be a much bigger group, it became less functional because you cannot directly access Google Suite with it. We needed to expand more, and Quip didn't allow for that.

Google Docs on Steroids

We have rolled Quip out to multiple departments and teams over the past few years.

Pros

Continuing improvement in the feature set. The software was good when we started using it 2.5 years ago. However, the improvements continually made month after month have really made the product shine. We really get use out of the full index/searching capability.

Cons

A few basic things that would mimmic Excel functionality, like the ability to freeze columns on mobile, or hide rows/columns on both the desktop and mobile.

Desirae from ClientsFirst Consulting

Quip and Quip for Salesforce

Quip is a great addition for any company with its easy to use style of collaboration and flexibility in security and structure. I'd like to see a lot more training videos on how to leverage Quip for things like Project Management to plant those seeds and help companies grow and realize the full potential of this application.

Pros

Salesforce recently added Quip to it's suite of products and we couldn't be happier. We have been searching for a project management application as well as a solution for sharing documents and data while not housing inside our Salesforce org, due to storage limitations. We see Quip as being that all in one application that can solve many of these needs in our organization. It is powerful, flexible, offers free and paid apps like a project management app and allows for flexibility with security of files and folders. Not to mention the live chat and collaboration features it offers. A great all around solution for anything you can't already solve in your standard Salesforce Org.

Cons

I have requested several specific demos from our sales team so that we can more fully realize what Quip can do to meet some of our more basic needs. We've been given links to sales demos which don't address our specific needs. Once we get an idea on what we can do with it and how, it will drive more ideas and creativity for our team, we're just having a hard time getting started.

EBIN from RightVows Job Store

All in one platform to manage the entire documents and other tools in a single platform

We have increased the productivity of our employees and thus our core goal of high productivity is achieved.

Pros

We really like Quip the way it is built as the platform itself acts as a source to maintiain all the tools like docs, chat etc. in this single app itself. Quip is the best way to manage all the different tabs under one window. The major hike is with the single window system where all the needed plugins are added and can be managed. Quip is the one and only platform to simplify the user burden of maintaining multiple apps and multiple windows.

Cons

The UI is very hard to understand at the first time and for newcomers.

Justin from Lancaster Bible College

Best collaboration software i've used!

Pros

Quip makes it incredibly easy to collaborate with others on shared document writing. I work with a number of people who may not easily adopt new software, and Quip's simple and familiar interface allow them to begin working quickly and without fear. I lead teams of 15+ people working on the same projects, and can easily monitor progress and who is editing what!

Cons

I have very few cons for Quip - most of which would be a desire to see more features, although this would likely come with the trade off that it would become more complex. No real complaints for me.

Istvan

Ease of use, some missing features, bad upgrade on Mac

Pros

-Very easy to use even at the first time -0 delay at collaboration -nice mini apps for documents -good integration of comments with chat function

Cons

-inconsistent user interface (document and tables) -no formating in the pop-up menu for tables -very bad upgrade utility on Mac (it tends to fall back to earlier version and stops sync - support gives no help to resolve)

Ifeoma from Softchoice

Effective text editor.

Pros

Quip enable me collaborate on documents in real time with my colleagues.Unlike other document collaboration programs,I am able to chat in real time with my fellow collaborators about the document we are collaborating on.

Cons

While I am able to edit documents by myself offline.To collaboratively edit documents,I have to be online and this requires a stable internet connection.

Quip review

In my experience, I've really enjoyed using Quip to easily house documents and spreadsheets with a friendly and easy to use interface.

Pros

Quip is a great tool to use for collaborative work. Often times, my team would have to share multiple versions of the same spreadsheet, but with Quip, you can see real-time updates from colleagues and communicate all within the app.

Cons

While it is great for collaboration, the tool becomes glitchy when it contains a large amount of data. There have been instances of lost work due to inability to save changes. If you are working with large spreadsheets with multiple tabs, it could become too much for the tool to handle.

Yana from SKIM

Industry: Market Research

Fantastic for Small Project Management and Collaboration

Quip provides unique ability to create, edit and share highly customized documents/spreadsheets. Quip doesn't have a structure to follow for project management, so it requires a lot of upfront time commitment and development. However, after creating the needed documents and templates, it is the perfect tool. Specifically, great to use for mind-mapping, checklists, embedded spreadsheets/tracking.

Pros

Integrates with Google Drive, version control, file attachment, collaboration, custom templates, slack integration, flexibility, permissions control, great interface, easy to use

Cons

No internal task delegation/planning features, no report building

Alvaro from Online media

Industry: Online Media

I would like the old Quip back!

Pros

Quip does a great job at being a very easy-to-use app when it comes to having collaborative documents to share for work. I like how different team members can contribute and leave their input simultaneously with other coworkers.

Holly from YMCA

Easy to use, simple, accessbile

Pros

I like the commenting and accessibility features. I also appreciate the organization of the software. It makes it easy to use and navigate.

Cons

I feel like the app could use some updating to make it more mobile friendly. I also wish there could be more editing ability in Quip.

Patrick from Hixme

The best cloud based online collaborative writing tool

Quip is my team's go to utility for writing documents together. Google Docs is probably one of the most well known cloud based document editors that facilitates collaboration between team members. However, its collaborative elements always seemed tacked on. You can tell that Quip was built to be a team writing tool from the ground up.

Pros

Ease of use. It's "stupid easy" to invite people to collaborate on a document. Comments are a breeze. Paragraphs auto-lock when you are editing them to avoid confusion. You can track your team members usage.

Cons

I wish that reviewing, version control, and security were stronger. The inclusion of approval processes and flows would be extremely welcome.

Jess from DRI

Unlimited Free Trial

Unlimited free trial and great for text-based collaboration

Pros

Quip allows you to try their platform for free as long as you need, so you can really figure out whether or not it works for your team before you invest in the paid version. Compared to other products that have a time-limited free trial, Quip offers a much better evaluation period.

Cons

The ability to upload images and PDFs is limited at best. It's easier to upload a photo album on Facebook and share it with your team than it is to do the same thing in Quip. Great for text based documents, however.

Kelly from Ultimate Software

Very Customizable!

Pros

Cons

Creating a spreadsheet into Quip is not the best. I feel like there is always a delay or a "lag" when editing or dragging cells. It's not the best option to use when creating a spreadsheet. Might stick to Excel for that part.

Eric from Lancaster Bible College

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

A refreshing way to collaborate and communicate in document creation

The big takeaway is that Quip uniquely enables you and your colleagues to create a multi-asset document in one place, together.

Pros

Quip enables users to build a rich, multimedia, and multi-asset document in one location. Do you need to create a document that includes a calendar, spreadsheet, and kanban board all in the same place? Quip can do that.

Cons

While the interface has improved recently, it is still a little difficult to navigate from your document to the folder in which it is contained. Also, Quip could make better use of icons for identifying content types.

Christene from Amazon

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Quiptastic!

Overall, I love it, and will be using it for personal use. We use it at work, and it's become essential for day to day tasks. I love the communication features!

Pros

Once you figure out how to use quip, it's an awesome tool. It's easy to organize and essential to my day to day job. I'm going to be installing it on my personal computer for use as well.

Raegan from Key Rehab Associates, Inc

Nice but pricey.

Pros

Group chats and file sharing are a lifesaver. No one likes group texts, they're annoying and don't carry over well between mobile platforms. With Quip, we can share a group chat that isn't annoying. File sharing helps when people are out of the office. We're always on the go and being able to send things back and forth without it getting lost in email is wonderful. Getting everyone together for meetings is almost always impossible with our crazy schedules and we never manage to pass the info around to everyone. This way we can send it out to everyone and know it was received. The to-do list function helps keep me organized.

Cons

The price. At some point you start wondering is it really worth the price of every additional app and software you need. We have 20 something people, that adds up real quick. Much more cost effective for a smaller team.

Quip review

Pretty great, it's very helpful and I use everyday at work because of his facility and is very quick to use.

Pros

It's amazing for work with other people, in teams, project, or even to do your own work and save it there, make schedules, organize with your people or even make to do lists.

Cons

Sometimes some features are lost because you don't find where to use those.

Mayo from LBPP-LIA

All in One Office Suite with Focus on Collaboration

Pros

Quip provides you to create many kinds of documents under one roof. Not only text document, but also everything else from spreadsheets to presentation slides, and more. It also supports collaboration with others.

Cons

It requires more than one step just to access your folders. It might be a design decision, but it's not a friendly one.

Andrew from NextFED

Great product for collaboration

Pros

Cons

There are alerts that get generated every time a change is made - the only way to turn these alerts off is for each user to manually go in and do it themselves. They should have the alerts function at the document level

Debraliz from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

Quip for my Team

But I think quip is still deserve a 4star review.

Pros

Our team use quip software as our project management because we can interact in quip from real time and we can also send a documents using this software.

Cons

It is not totally easy to use, you need a knowledge using this before you make it work fine and I think it still lack of some features.

Jessie from Asana

Frustrating and restrictive software

Overall, my experience is meh. I have to use it because my team does, but I wish I didn't have to. And enough so that I'd totally risk rocking the boat to get them to transfer to something better.

Pros

Not a whole lot, but I suppose there are a couple of unique features, compared to document creators (i.e. Google Docs) or project/work management software (i.e. Trello) that are nice. Like, being able to insert a Kanban board inside a doc isn't something I've seen elsewhere. But really, these are all just small things that are kind of cool, but don't add to the overall usefulness of this software. Kind of nice that you can create a document and a spreadsheet in one place... but that's not all that unique to Quip.

Cons

At my last job, I used a combination of Google Docs and Asana to manage projects and LOVED it. Quip is frustrating because it's really clunky and restrictive. For example, I want to be able to assign cards in an Kanban board to other people, like you would in Asana or Trello. It lacks the collaborative project management features it needs to make it a successful project management tool. But it also sucks at being a document creator. It's definitely better as a document creator than a project management tool, but even then there are some essential features (i.e. editing and suggesting mode) that I had in Google Docs and were essential to my job as a writer/editor. I mean, what, you expect me to highlight a sentence and comment on it to suggest to another writer that she swaps out one word? That's a waste of time.

Very useful product for documentation

Pros

I love that you can share documentation with friends easily. You can make any type of document in quip. The function that i like most is freezing column and rows.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to undo your action for example by mistake if you delete anything in a doc, the normal undo command does not work.

I built a custom reporting tool without being a programmer.

I was up to produce a highly functional spreadsheet to use as a reporting tool for my upstream management.

Pros

The interface is clean and user-friendly. A novice can create a robust reporting tool for your internal use in less than a week.

Cons

The embedded spreadsheet application has many advanced features. The Quip spreadsheet has more bells and whistles than I could figure out in one sitting. Quip's tutorals and customer service staff guided and coached me through the rough spots.

July 2016

Tom from maconcept.

July 2016

Best for collaboration and communication

Using Quip for creating documents within the team, talk about it and use the chat instead of sending emails back and forth. This is such a time saver.

Pros

Easy to use, nice UI, good feature set

Cons

File handling e.g. PDFs and other formats could be much better. Just import the files without changing them. If you important a PDF it should stay a PDF

Jenny from Self-employed

Excellent tool to create and manage all your company documents

Powerful collaboration platform that helped the team manage documents, projects, and chat—all in one place.

Pros

Quip is one of the few collaborative platforms where it's actually easy to use and also easy on the eyes. The UI needs no guesswork and creating a document and adding people to it is very intuitive. I like how you can create any type of document (including a kanban board) and every change made to it is made visible to all involved team members. It's also incredibly useful to have a team chat in the same place so we're not switching between apps when discussing the same document. My favorite feature by far has to be the ability to invite a client to check a document without having to add them as a full user. Although it's tied with the checklists and the nifty ability to work offline if you need to.

Cons

It's a tad pricier than most tools in this same vein. There is also some inconsistency in features between the web and desktop version.

Nataliia from Post Planner

Quip Review

It's a great tool to keep all the documents organized, structured and collaborate on any of the docs with the team. I think our team became so much more productive after we started using it.

Pros

I love seeing how organized and most importantly easy to maintain all the docs in the company and departments. I think this is what makes Quip different: it's often easy to start using some service that meets the same purpose but it becomes a mess in a few months. Absolutely happy how it worked for our company with Quip. It was also a big help to find everything I needed when I joined the company.

Cons

I would love Spreadsheets which you can create in Quip to have more functionality, sometimes I need to use other tools and just link to them since I can't achieve the same with the Spreadsheets in Quip.

Cole from Plasticprinters.com

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

Quip works great at first..

We're still using Quip. But if you're not careful to make sure it's well organized, there can be communication problems.

Pros

Quip is free/inexpensive. And it's easy to add people, so collaboration is a breeze.

Cons

When too many projects are added to Quip, it gets quite confusing. Especially if you have different users with different access levels. Suddenly you have 3 folders with nearly identical content, and you never know which one to update.

Jessica from DRI

Easy to Use, Features Somewhat Limited

It was honestly one of the better experiences I've had getting a team set up on a platform they'd never used. Seems good for the not-so-techie folks out there.

Pros

So. Easy. To. Use. Quip helped a remote team get organized, share and store marketing materials, research and other company data.

Cons

We ran into issues with some of the documents we wanted to create, because the formatting options in Quip are extremely spartan.

Jeff from Spotlight Media

Great product, love the simplicity

Pros

Simplicity, easy to use. Export to PDF is a function we use a lot. Also a big fan of the various keyboard short cuts.

Cons

Customizing text and some docs. Would love a few additional templates...but no huge complaints that hinder our productivity.

Tom from FiscalNote

My go-to productivity app

A Beautiful and easy-to-use app that makes it easy to take notes, collaborate on documents, and keep all of my work in one place. Quip is indispensable to my day-to-day.

Pros

Beautiful design. Incredibly easy to use. Love it all.

Cons

Nothing.