• Pros

• "Easy to use, M5 Reports seems easier than old method"

• "This quick tool facilitates your work by its great search capacity, oriented to the format of those we know on the web"

• "Versatile library automation with room to accommodate new features. Good software support - very available. Great price for small libraries. "

• Cons

• "Once the books were added to the inventory, making corrections in the edit function could be challenging resulting in more errors. "

• "Some things don't seem intuitive for me, but support is always quick to respond when I can't figure something out or find the answer in documentation."

• "As an experienced professional cataloger, I would like to see the policies that govern the system to better understand display functions."

Browse Mandarin Reviews

Vanessa from Ad Fontes Academy

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Great Option for Small Schools at a terrific price

We have saved money by knowing what is in our inventory. In the past, we have bought duplicate copies simply out of poor inventory control. Mandarin allows us to know where everything is at all times.

Pros

I love that we have the ability to not only automate our library but can also run our textbook management and electronics management through the Mandarin system. As a small private school, our budget is limited and anything that helps us control inventory and save money in the long-run is a worthwhile investment.

Cons

My only complaint is that it is sometimes difficult to find an item on Record Fetch. The system is not very forgiving with typos and not all ISBNs are in the system, even when the book may be. I also wish they would include Usborne Books in the system. We get many of these books donated to the school and have a difficult time logging them in the Mandarin system.

Michelle from East-West University

Mandarin Snapshot

Mandarin provides an affordable and easy-to-implement integrated library package (cataloging, circulation, public access interface). It continues to offer more features and the IT support department has been very helpful when a bit of tweaking is needed.

Pros

Cons

This company's products are geared for elementary and high schools. The OPAC features reading-level categories which are not necessary for specialized libraries and those serving adults. However these features can be removed by Mandarin support. There are some problems in the cataloging software when adding subsequent subdivisions (involving punctuation). But these can be worked around. It would be great to have more options for the public visual search interface (like font style, colors, etc.) and general layout.

Julie from Cornerstone Christian School

Great System

My overall experience with Mandarin has been wonderful. My questions are always quick to be answered. I would definitely recommend Mandarin to anyone who is looking for a new system for their library cataloging.

Pros

We came from using RenWeb for our Library Catalog and Patron Services. There's been a bit of learning curve, but Mandarin is so much easier to use than our previous system. Inputting new items into the catalog is so much easier than the previous system. It takes me a fraction of the time that I used to spend.

Cons

I don't like that I can't print library cards with our student's pictures on them. But, I can still print them in RenWeb with a barcode, so that's really nice. I also wish that the pictures were easier to update. School pictures don't come in until Mid to Late October and I don't have access to them. So new students don't have their pictures updated and continuing students don't have their new ones shown. This just makes our students a bit sad. I also wish that I could search the system by barcode. It would also be nice if I am signed in as an administrator and I look up a particular book, that it would show the name of the student who has checked it out. Yes, I do know there's another way to do that. But, it would be nice if it was just in one step and I didn't have to go to another place to look that up. The only other little problem, which I know is just my library assistants being a bit to quick, is that there's a significant time lag between scanning a book as returned and it coming up on the screen as returned. I know that this is more on my side than on the side of Mandarin.

Christopher from Nebraska Dept of Education - Early Childhood

We were sold something other than what we received.

When we decided to purchase this software we had very specific needs. We were told everything we wanted to do was already in the system or that the system would do it. Since then we were told it can't do what we were told it could do before we agreed to the contract. We are going to reimplement our old system because even though it didn't fit all of our needs it gives us more of what we need than what Mandarin has been able to do. We wanted specific data reports at our fingertips and was told it would happen. I have to call in and have them done for me and even then, the results are not completely right. We were told this system came with a conference room schedule system and that it would be easy to use. No such thing existed. The conversion of our old Database left out important information and books altogether. This is not as big a deal as I can fix this but the interface is not easily customizable nor is it user-friendly to anyone who doesn't know Marc 21. Going forward you should really not sell features you do not already have, or you should be willing to develop them for the release. Had we known then what we know now we would have gone with another company who could have offered everything we were looking for. We have spent grant money on this system that we felt was the best direction based on the information we were given, only to have it be something different. I am sure your system is a perfect fit for a vast majority but for us it is not working.

Pros

Visually it was better looking than our previous system.

Cons

It didn't do almost everything we were promised it could do.

Response from Mandarin Library Automation

Replied April 2019

Hi Christopher, Thank you for sharing your review. We are very concerned about the experience you are having. We would welcome the opportunity to assist you and correct the issues you have listed. Thank you for your patience. We will also contact you directly to assist.

Donna from Central Christian Academy

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Software and Support Designed for the Busy Librarian

We were required to switch from our current library software because the provider was discontinuing the service.

Pros

First, the purchase process which was simple, helpful and professional. Second, the installation process: loading my library data, testing and support - especially the webinar presentation and followup. Third, technical support: rapid, on-time and professional. I got a call or e-mail with a rapid and complete response.

Cons

Well, it's hard to find an issue, but what I would improve is the searchability and content of the online resources. I had a question about cataloging serial publications and couldn't access what I wanted.

Carrie from Tyler Street Christian Academy

Change

I have had a great experience with Mandarin. Anytime I've needed help, the tech department has been quick to help me. They guide me in ways that are easy to incorporate on my end. They also are very mindful of things that need to be fixed on their end. The cost is wonderful. This system is worth every penny. My overall experience has been wonderful! For a lady who doesn't like change, Mandarin has been a great help!

Pros

What I like most about the software is the ease of the transition from one system to another. Our school had to change from another system. Mandarin was the best choice for our school for a change that wasn't an option. I find features in M5 that I never had in the other system. My favorite is the ability to add new books to the system with ease.

Cons

This is not so much an issue for people who do understand code. But I had a bit of an issue with it at the beginning. I am learning what each number stands for and how to utilize it when I'm adding an item or updating something in the system.

Linda from Christian Fellowship School

Very pleased

Mandarin has made importing MARC records easier. The set up for the spine label makes more since and more of what I wanted that our old software did not offer. When asking for tech support they are very prompt to respond and get back if they want to clarify a request. The tech support guys are the best.

Pros

I liked that they were so accommodating when we had to switch over from our other software in such a short time. They have been very patient with any questions or requests I have requested. I do not have a Library degree so I am probably not using it to its full potential. So glad to be able to print my own barcodes and spine labels. The barcodes have the title, author, school name and call # included.

Cons

Sometimes I have to log-in again, but that could possible be our internet server. Because I do not have a Library degree I am not sure what all the code are for, but I am sure if I asked they would help me. I just have not had time to ask. The Webex was informative, but too much information, too fast. I would have like a more interactive option. But you can join a group as many times as you want.

Ann from Our Lady of the Hills HS

Industry: Libraries

Robust and user friendly system

I inherited a very poorly cataloged collection: corrupt classification, lost records, level one (or less) catalog- ing, lack of subject headings... The MLA system empowers me to provide the best bibliographic database I can create for my students. Price point is exceptional, MLA system is user-friendly, robust and secure. I am one happy catalog librarian.

Pros

The learning curve made for a very easy transition to learn the system and get to work. I did reports, inventory, edits of existing records and learned to use "Fetch" for my MARC cataloging needs in a very short time. I am delighted that the system adheres to national standards in bibliographic MARC. I feel secure with the MLA system that my work will not be corrupted or lost at anytime.

Timothy from Education

Industry: Libraries

Wow! factor customer support to back up a very easy to use program!

Pros

The recent update has put everything into one platform and the best thing of all is that they are listening to their customers and adding what we need as we grow together.

Cons

Honestly, the only thing I can say negative is that it takes a little time for reports to generate. It would be nice if they were much faster but the updated version is already faster than the older one I was using.

Ebony from Heritage Christian School

Mandarin - A Good Choice

Overall, I love Mandarin and would recommend it. I am in my first year with this product, so occasionally I have questions. The customer service has always been kind, helpful, and quick.

Pros

I love that my card catalog is available online to families and is so user friendly for them. They love the visual search and recommended reading pages! The gallery is also a nice bonus, as is the blackboard. It is also extremely helpful that you can customize your searches to narrow down your results. Also, I, as an administrator, like how easy it is to carry out transactions for the students.

Cons

Filling in values for book information gets a little confusing. Adding a book using the ISBN is a great feature that automatically fills in most information needed. However, if you must manually add a book, then it is tedious looking up what information goes into what value number and field/sub-field.

Camille from South O'Brien Schools

Industry: Libraries

Works well for our school

Pros

Our school has used Mandarin for a long time. This fall, we upgraded to the latest version. The upgrade was worth it! Our new Mandarin has a fresh, updated look. Many of the features have been streamlined and are easy to use. No more clicking between multiple screens! I can do more work more efficiently! Downloading records is super easy. Purging books from the system is also super simple.

Cons

I was looking forward to printing off spine labels and pocket labels from my new Mandarin. However, the spine labels only print on a certain kind of label. I'm having trouble finding that specific label, so I continue to type my own. The pocket labels come out blurry. I experimented with both those types of labels on Mandarin with no luck.

Mollissa from Hilltop Library

Mandarin

Excellent! As always, the technical support team at Mandarin is outstanding. Their response speed, willingness to help, follow through, and accessibility is the best.

Pros

Easy to use, M5 Reports seems easier than old method

Cons

Would like more kid friendly features, such as video book trailer ability

Jorge from Consejo Nacional Electoral

VERSATILE TOOL FOR LIBRARIES AND FILES

Your online technical support is fast and effective

Pros

Cons

Taking into account that the software is quite complete, there are functions that could be changed and give more information to the material or document that is already expired or that is no longer being used

Response from Mandarin Library Automation

Replied April 2018

Thank you Jorge. We appreciate your feedback.

Ronstadt from Wise Owl Group of Schools

Mandarin Review

Pros

Easy returns, renew and returns that can be carried out by scanning the barcode easily.

Cons

The user interface and constant requirement to be on network for it to open.

Response from Mandarin Library Automation

Replied January 2020

Hello Ronstadt. I was not able to find your school library or your name as a Mandarin user in our database. Are you using our M3 free download? Please let us know how we can assist you. Thank you. Art Graham. VP Sales

Mandarin

Pros

I used Mandarin briefly to catalog some book, and was able to get the hang of it pretty easily with minimal guidance. It's a great program, considering that you can get it for free.

Cons

When finished the cataloging process and submitted the data I wrote on the template, the final result was not visible no matter what I did, among other bugs. I'm not sure if it was due to Mandarin being an earlier version or if the problems were related to the campus IT.