Browse ResourceMate Reviews

Michelle from Beth David

ResourceMate is great for small libraries

I am cataloging a Reform Jewish Synagogue of about 4,000 books in four locations at the synagogue. Each location is its own collection and all locations are searchable on the OPAC. i find this very helpful. I am almost done with the cataloging and I have enjoyed it immensely. ResourceMate is easy to use and I just get it.

Pros

I like this software. It is easy to use and does almost everything I want it to do. There are a very few reports that this software does not do like make a list by location by call number or barcode number. Anyone who is cataloging a small library collection on a budget should use this software.

Cons

This product does not make reports by location and then by call number or barcode number within location.

Reasons for Choosing ResourceMate

I tried Library-World and I could not figure out how to use it very well so I switched. My only choices were ResourceMate and Library-World. These are the programs almost all synagogues use.

Reasons for Switching to ResourceMate

I could not learn how to use Library-world. I only did 50 books in this program and switched to ResourceMate 6 months later. I do not plan to change again.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied March 2020

Thank you for the great review, Michelle!

Alta from Ottawa Christian School

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Resourcemate Extended version and Library Web OPAC

Pros

We upgraded to the extended version of ResourceMate. 1)We love the fact that we can differentiate between the borrowing period for staff and the borrowing period for students. 2) Reading levels are now added automatically when data is imported -- so helpful in finding appropriate books for young readers. The Library Web OPAC has been a life saver during the pandemic. Students can reserve books right from the classroom or from home. This has been particularly helpful in boosting the Grade 2 and 3 reading programmes which depend so heavily on access to interesting books.

Cons

Lists of available books on reserve are presented in a seemingly random order. I understand that Jaywil Software is working to correct this. I also had a problem with the programme wanting to shut down from time to time. Oddly enough this problem has mostly gone away after purchasing a new scanner.

Steven from St. Paul's Parish

Declining Pertinence--Rising Costs

The benefits were great to start with but have deteriorated for tiny libraries with simple needs and a volunteer staff. We've let our subscription lapse and probably won't ever renew it as your product no longer meets our needs. Too bad. I installed your system at special library where I consulted, and have recommended it to others as a consultant. Under the present circumstances I don't see how I can do that anymore. Now at the church, I'm stuck with a database that I spent hours constructing and is now useless. It's disheartening.

Pros

Originally, and this was some years back, it was easy to use, uncomplicated, and inexpensive.

Cons

All sorts of bells and whistles have been added that we don't need adding needless complication. Plus, costs have skyrocketed. For example, we've opened for a paper circulation system. Why does a small church need a computerized circulation system like a public or school library? A notebook catalog works just fine for us, but even production of that has gotten complicated. I'm a professional librarian but a volunteer. I've installed networked library software in public libraries with annual circulation, but I'm not going to spend hours wading through all these features we don't need at my church. I really wish you had a stripped down program for those of us with simple needs. What the heck, you had one and you did away with it.

Reasons for Choosing ResourceMate

Best value at the time, but that was some years ago.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied September 2019

Hi Steven, thank you for your comments and for a chance to address issues that you've been having with ResourceMate. This certainly isn't the experience that we want our customers to have! You don't have to use any of the features of the program that you don't need and you can just use it at a catalogue and print a list of all of your items (and patrons if you wish). Our annual Support cost has increased throughout the years, and for the Essential version of ResourceMate that you have the Support annual cost is $103. To help with the increase, we've included more services that Annual support provides you with, and hopefully it helps to offset the incremental increases. And Annual Support is optional, and as the church paid for your license fee years ago, there are no other fees associated with ResourceMate for you. I'll respond in length to your email address we have for you. We really appreciate your loyalty and support of us throughout all these years!

Mary Elizabeth from The Forum at Rancho San Antonio

Excellent for Sr. Living companies

These are simple library functions. Adding and removing books and media. Tracking returns and takeouts. Sending overdue notices. Unless a report need redefining or something is just not working, I am not needed other than being sure I back the database up on a weekly basis. We have had two times when a computer problem showed the team how important these backups were. We will have to purchase a new main computer soon and will be very happy to have the backup available. I have used. help from Resource Mate on a number of occasions and found their assistance invaluable as well as pleasant. I felt they were on my side and not snickering at what I didn't know.

Pros

It is fairly easy to set up for use (does take time to populate library, but after being set up can be updated and managed by senior aged volunteers .

Cons

Can be hard for volunteers to find the reports they need and help is usually needed to make changes to a report.lem

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied March 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words Mary Elizabeth!

William from Gadsden Correctional Facility

Perfect for Large State Prison

Over 16,000 books and 1500 DVDs are being tracked and checked in and out to some 1250 prison inmates. Late notices (reminders) are prepared weekly. I am the sole operator, recording all new material, checking out all material, and checking in all material.

Pros

The stability of this software is its best characteristic. The software code is well-written and very stable. Everything you do within the software is instantly saved. Many options are available for pulling backups and if necessary restoring data. A user is never afraid of an equipment o electrical failure.

Cons

Fields cannot be renamed (to my knowledge). It is very difficult to custom design printouts, without mounting a steep learning curve. Fields have to be changed one at a time, with no known rapid change function where all fields with a certain designator may be changed or erased quickly.

Resourcemate is very resourceful at organising records

Pros

During report writing sessions, I supply workshop participants with information resources in various formats including print. Resourcemate is able to record such training sections. With Resourcemate, I have created two tables; one holds particulars of workshop participants, while another contain records of resources. We relate the two tables with check-in and check-out activities. What is more fascinating about Resourcemate is that it has templates for printing catalogue cards, lables and reports. Once in a while, we need printed records The institution saved some money for training on the usage of Resourcemate. We used the available training DVDs for the community members' self orientation. For practical purposes, the finance had to be Certain on the necessity of the expenditure. We made use of Resourcemate's trial version to discover these amazing features

Cons

DVDs are now becoming obsolet. I wish the training resources were presented in a lighter downloadable file.

Ruth from El Castillo

Product Fits Our Small Library Needs Quite Well

From the customer's perspective, this seems like a fairly small company, but we receive almost immediate and personal response for assistance in using the product, problems encountered and any software malfunctions. Requests and comments for improving the product to help with the way your library operates are often accommodated. (The customer would not necessarily receive such response and service from a large company.)

Pros

Complete integration of main database with the web OPAC and with generating spine labels, usage reports, producing professional [pdf] listings of holdings details using search criteria.

Cons

Patron checkouts are a bit awkward for some of our volunteers. The Reserve utility could use some adjustments.

Joy from First United Methodist Church

Program Review

Our library is still using a card catalog and I like not having to use a typewriter to set up each card. The print option for cards is fabulous.

Pros

The program is easy to use even for a non-techie like me. There are still features that I am learning, but we use it every day. It is nice to have all our books listed in the same place.

Cons

The directions are not always clear from the booklet as to how to do some things, but tech support has been helpful there.

Reasons for Choosing ResourceMate

The cost was affordable for our budget, especially since initially we had no computer as well. We fund raised our computers and Resourcemate programs by having used book sales.

Linda from Meyers Library of Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel

Very powerful and useful tool

Resourcemate is a very powerful and useful tool.

Pros

The basic functions of Resourcemate are easy to learn and easy to use. I like the flexibility of its functions. It is able to help me to perform all the tasks that I have needed to perform so far. Customer service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has also been very patient, professional and informative.

Cons

It is a large and complex packet and I am sure that I have not explored all its capabilities, yet. I just have to take some time to explore.

Reasons for Choosing ResourceMate

I wasn't here when it was purchased.

Jenny from Law Society of NL Law Library

ResourceMate

Good

Pros

It has the capacity to handles our smaller Law Library holdings and is easy to work with. The migration process was painless.

Cons

The connection is a bit slow but that has been improving over time.

Reasons for Choosing ResourceMate

Cost, previous experience using the product, and a package that suited our needs.

Reasons for Switching to ResourceMate

previous version was too expensive and like driving a Cadillac to go grocery shopping

Angel from Harmony School of Discovery

It does it all!

My school has had RM for over 11 years. I love it!

Pros

ResourceMate does everything I need it to do and more!

Cons

Not much to not like. Sometimes if you enter a title or name into the search bar incorrectly, instead of giving you an alternative, RM can't find it.

Reasons for Choosing ResourceMate

Why look for another product when RM does everything I need it to do and more?

Wyma from Willamette View Libraries

ResourceMate Review

Previously we had card catalogs in three libraries with a common collection, making it impossible to keep all catalogs up to date with our volunteer staff. I think RM is a very good library automation system for small libraries. Since we are staffed by volunteers with only one of us with automation experience, the hosting by RM makes it possible for us to continue to be up to date in the software. Response to problems has been very good and timely. I appreciate that RM is always improving the software. The new OPAC allows us to improve on the presentation which is most desirable.

Pros

The new OPAC is beautiful! It is easy to use and to train others. The main differentiation our users want is large print and regular print, the information they want is call number, location and publication date; all these except location are now available in a grid format on the first result list. For collection analysis I like that the database looks like and works a lot like Microsoft Excel. The training videos are very good and easy to follow. The online help notes are easy to understand. Hosting by RM means fewer automation skills are necessary at our site.

Cons

A printed manual would be helpful. Even though the videos and online help are among the best I've seen, a printed manual would be so useful for many of our volunteers. Having location and availability on the first results screen would simplify the OPAC for users. Handling multiple copies could be less tedious. I would prefer that copy numbers reflect the number of copies currently in the collection. For example, Copy 1 and Copy 4 in a display can be confusing when there are no copies 2 and 3 in the collection.

Kathleen from Celebration Lutheran School

A Good Product for our School

Pros

New materials are easily entered into the software, with online search to Library of Congress and Amazon. Barcodes and spine labels are printed with purchased supplies, and covered with protectors. It is easy to search for an entered title, and make changes if they need to be made. The price is within the available budget. The supplies have remained affordable. The students can check out their books by scanning their individual barcodes, and the staff can enter the returned materials.

Cons

The least is not an issue with software itself, but due to the Canadian location, shipping is higher than in the continental United States for supplies, especially for a parochial school with a limited budget, but we would not switch software for that reason.

Megan from Bloom in the Desert Ministries

Perfect for Our Small Church Library

Pros

Our church library started with the donation of over 1, 200 books from the estate of a former minister. ResourceMate Lite software made it so easy to catalog and print labels for all of those books and many more over the years. As a librarian who has not worked in a library for over 20 years, I find ResourceMate extremely user friendly and simple to use. Customer Service has been excellent in the few times I have used it in the last six years. There is also a built in help option titled "How do I...". I highly recommend this software program!

Cons

I have not encountered any problems that stand out in my mind.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied March 2020

Thank you for the high recommendation, Megan!

Gale Ann from West Indies School of Theology

Ease of use

At present this product is meeting the needs of the library staff as we work towards providing for our patrons.

Pros

This software is easy to use. The updates are timely and add to the proper functioning of the software.

Cons

There are some glitches that may occur, however they are resolved one I make it known to the providers.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied March 2020

Thank you for the review Gale Ann!

Jan from Menomonie Alliance Church

Great customer service and tech support

An important feature of the company itself is its great customer service and tech support. They have gone above and beyond more than once for us to fulfill a particular, unique need or request and have done so with a personal touch that is rarely found in the corporate world today.

Pros

We have a small (<5000 item) church library and volunteer staff. The software has been user-friendly and the learning curve for basic functions has been stress-free. I particularly appreciate the ISBN retrieval feature when onboarding new items.

Cons

From our point of view, we have had no issues or have any suggestions for improvements.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied August 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Jan! We really appreciate it!

Michael from St. Bede Abbey & Academy

Using ResourceMate

I quite like the customer support offered to users. The option of speaking directly to a technician helps answer questions that are more time-bound than other times.

Pros

Though I had zero working experience cataloguing library books, the program made the process intuitive for me. I participated in the instructional opportunities provided to users which were quite helpful and deepened my understanding of how to use the program more effectively.

Cons

It seemed to me that there were any other number of bugs trying to install the program. On the other hand, it is technology: it does not always work correctly all of the time.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied March 2020

We appreciate your review!

Betty from Legacy Christian Church

Great Cataloging Software

We are a church of about 250 members, and I use ResourceMate for cataloging our library's collection. We do not use the circulation product and do not have an online catalog. However, I have been cataloging with ResourceMate for at least 10 years and find it easy to do ISBN retrieval as well as manual entry of information. From the very beginning it was easy to learn, and we have been very pleased. In addition, I have always received help whenever needed.

Pros

I use ResourceMate entirely for cataloging our church library collection, and am completely satisfied with it.

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Cathy from Allenstown Public Library

We Love ResourceMate

If you are a small library or any other entity that needs to have your books recorded--this program really works well.

Pros

Our library is small so joining a consortium would have cost us more in annual upkeep than we have allowance for books. I looked at many products before I chose ResourceMate and tried them out to see how they ran. ResourceMate out preformed them all. I was going to try the free software that is available but it is not as easy to use as this product. THAT is how much I love ResourceMate. We plug in the ISBN and all the information comes up. Now, we still have to look that over because the information coming from the libraries may not be correct--but we do not have to wait an hour for the data to appear. Whenever I needed help the customer service people have gone above and beyond normal customer service, working on the problem until there was a solution. I really appreciate the shared screen, I learned a lot with those invisible hands taking over the screen and showing me the way.

Cons

Getting our collection online has proven to be difficult. I think there must be an easier way to do it but since I'm not a programmer--there you are.

Laurence from Salesian Seminary Dodoma

Very convenient in the African Post/Secondary school in which it (Essential Plus version) has been used

Ease of use and flexibility

Pros

Ease of use, great customer support, good help manual, demo version, ease of upload of data from another software, user friendly and clear screens, ability to customise reports, labels, grid layouts, OPAC screens

Cons

1) It would have been far better if the cataloguing module would have been a true relational database where the common cataloguing data (for all copies of the same book) like Subjects, Dewey, author, ISBN, title, imprint was in one table with the accession details (date purchased, price, bar-code) being in a linked 2nd table. This way a change in the catalogue table would be automatically updated for all copies of the book. 2) Accessible lists of subjects, authors, deweys (+ other authority lists) so that mistakes can easily be corrected throughout the whole database 3) Provision for bulk transfer of data across fields would also be useful.

Michelle from English Congregational United Church of Christ

Time saver

I have been very pleased. I set up my whole library using this database.

Pros

I like Searching other databases to help catalog my books. I can find Dewey# and subjects to pick from to suit my library.

Cons

I don’t use the reports because I find them a little confusing.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied March 2020

Thank you for the review, Michelle! Our technical support team will reach out to you regarding the reporting features.

Elizabeth from Biblioteka Parafialna (Parish Library)

From a new user

Support has been excellent.

Pros

I like the import of metadata feature by ISBN number..

Cons

I have no opinion yet since we have just purchased the software.

Constance from HOLY CROSS LNMV CATHOLIC SCHOOL

Holy Cross

Pros

It is so very easy to use. The set up was easy, the renewal process is easy, too. Our teachers have an easy time using it even though several are not very tech savvy.

Cons

Sometimes it doesn't seem to like the input. Then it is hard to figure out what to do.

Maryann from palapa society

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

superb customer service

We recently lost our connection with RM and we were down or three weeks Your representative did everything he could to correct the problem and eventually he did We thought for a lot of time the problem was at our end but it was not. The fault lay with RM was extremely patient and helpful throughout the process

Pros

This is our first experience with library software so we have nothing to compare to

Cons

Many features missing that would be helpful and difficulty getting answers

Kurt from Quadrangle Library

installation was a breeze

Pros

will test shortly. loved resourceMate 3.0. will let you know if we run into problems. very happy with service when needed

Cons

for us, too much flexibility. many options that we don't need, since we are a retirement home library.

David from Richmond Hill Christian Community Church

Good software for Church

we have used them for more than 25 yrs. very good

Pros

easy to use and the support is good, price is reasonable for church

Cons

you have to paid for yearly subscription

Bettyann from Veritas School

January 2010

Resource Mate lives up to its name

We looked at several library software products and consulted with staff from several small libraries before we chose Resource Mate. It's been a terrific purchase for how we operate now, and for the future as our school grows.

Pros

The "resource" in Resource Mate: our small school library has been improved by the rejuvenation of our information base on each book. We can catalog three times the data in one/tenth the time. The "mate" in Resource Mate: training from available materials and the live chat have helped us learn the program and make it practical to our specific needs.

Cons

The printed guide that comes with the software could be more detailed. However, when we can't find the answer in hard copy, the live chat help has always addressed our needs with patience and specific answers.

Smote from LGBT Center of Raleigh Library

ResourceMate

Pros

It is cheap and it allows us to function as a library.

Cons

It is difficult for people to use, especially non-library-oriented volunteers which make up the majority of our users.

March 2010

Fr. Sergius from Holy Transfiguration Monastery

March 2010

ResouceMate is Great for Smaller Institutions

I would without reservation recommend this to any small institution that has a library of books, periodicals, music, etc.

Pros

After investigating several options, I am very happy that we chose ResourceMate for our small library of around 10,000 volumes and periodicals. It is an easy program to use and the support is excellent. The feature of being able to download records from other libraries makes life very easy for a part time librarian!

Cons

In the beginning there was problem with the program freezing up or constantly notifying me "This record has been changed" and the only way to fix it was to refile the data. This minor flaw seems to have been fixed.

Alice from Reid State Technical College

Great Product--Great Service

When I took over the job of library assistant, one of my first tasks was to find a cataloging system that would fit the college's needs. The task seemed quite daunting until I found your product. You can imagine my elation to find such quality and value combined in one system! That was in 2008 and since then I have logged more than 6,000 items with RM. I have been very satisfied with both the software and the customer service. That rarity alone is applauded and appreciated in this computer age! Resource Mate is exceptionally user friendly, easily adaptable to fit individual needs, expandable, and value-minded~what more can you ask for in a product?

John from Tollefsen Law PLLC

Nobody is Perfect

I have worked with ResourceMate from its DOS version to SQL. I know of no other reasonably priced solution to library software of similar quality. We are a law firm that has purchased software from numerous software vendors over the past 35 years including some of the largest companies in the U.S. We have found ResourceMate support to be quick and efficient (unlike some of our other vendors). We have no complaints about the product. Our wireless scanner makes checking in and checking out easy.

Both the product itself and the customer service have been excellent.

Value for money; easy to use by staff at all levels.

Pros

Great value for money and suitable in scale and complexity for the needs of a small library. ResourceMate is very accessible for staff at all levels and staff particularly appreciate the ISBN lookup function. Most important of all, the customer service has been unparalleled. I would recommend this product for any small library.

Cons

There is very little NOT to like about the software. Staff have found it easy to use and very suitable for the purpose.

Sheellah from St. Anne School

Pleased customer!

ResourceMate is absolutely wonderful! I am very pleased with both the product and the technical support. ResourceMate offers many features and they are all easy to understand and use. I am very happy that I made the switch to ResourceMate and would highly recommend this product.

Pros

Visually pleasing. Easy to use. Friendly, helpful tech support. Affordable.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about ResourceMate.

January 2013

Sharon from Kumon

January 2013

owner

Would not recommend anyone to use it as there are so many good optiions outside.

Pros

better than just paper records

Cons

The categories that they have for books, tapes etc are not enough. the worse is about their customer care service. there was an error message that showed up about liscence expired (but liscence actually doesn't not required at all) and they made me pay $80 just to figure out why that window poped up.

Response from Jaywil Software Development

Replied January 2013

The customers support had expired in October 2008. The support issue took place in June of 2012.

October 2010

Nehmi from AUCA

October 2010

Just What I'm Looking For

Excellent.

Pros

Imports MARC records seamlessly by using ISBN

Cons

Does not accept payment by Western Money Transfer.