• Pros

• "I love that this product gives us so many tools for worship. It allows us to have flashier backgrounds and the ability to play video with stability. "

• "So easy to learn and use. Customer Service is excellent and their training sessions is extremely helpful. "

• "Easy to use, easy to understand, easy for volunteers to run."

• Cons

• "The only downside is the occ bug or glitch, but those are easily fixed. Other than that there is no con in my book."

• "Text editing is probably the weakest point, which we sometimes have to rely on PPT instead for better formatting, but MediaShout is overall a very strong and all rounded product."

• "some times things don't work the way they should or little bugs here and there specifically with aligning text. but usually, a quick reboot and it's fixed. "

Browse MediaShout Reviews

Adrian from ERM: Environmental Resources Management

Industry: Environmental Services

Excellent Product and Great Value for Money!

Stability and mobility. I'm a life customer with MediaShout and would not hesitate to recommend it to other people.

Pros

You can do most things under the one computer. No multiple machines or feeds required. This is very useful for a mobile church setup. It also comes with multiple features that you often have to pay extra for with other products such as loads of Bible versions, Songs and Hymnals. MediaShout also has first grade tech support that quickly respond to issues encountered. MediaShout has been faithfully serving our church and multiple ministries for over 15 years. Our church was one of the first users of this product in Australia.

Ken from Salvation Army Whangarei

MediaShout software is perfect for our church

MediaShout feels like a really close knit community, where users support each other well, but also MediaShout 'the company', support their users well. I love the software, and what we can achieve with it, in serving our church locally.

Pros

MediaShout is fully featured yet easy to use. It's easy to train on. Their support is second to none, and they really care about how the software works for you in your situation. They are passionate about making their software easy for us as users, to seamlessly support the process of worship and sharing the gospel.

Cons

I have no negatives about using and owning MediaShout.

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

Better functionality at the time.

John from Breakout Ministries

Mediashout 7 and over the years

Mediashout and the producers of this very feature rich presentation program have refined the product to the point where it meets all of our needs and I am comfortable that we will be able to depend on it in the future. Mediashout 7 and the years of thought given to the resulting user interface represents a legacy of usefulness that I greatly appreciate.

Pros

Features, interface, superior support and great upgrade price - all make this a program that I can recommend highly.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve, but nothing to complain home about in writing. It helps to have more than a modicum of computer experience - but that is expected.

Robert from Easthaven Baptist Church

MS7 needs lots of work!

I have been a loyal MediaShout user since they began. However, Versions 5, 6, and now 7 are so riddled with problems that I have decided I will not invest any more money in this software. Tired of them repackaging the same program with the same problems.

Pros

So far, I can't really say that there are a lot of pros to this release.

Cons

MediaShout has always had lots of potential, but issues are many. MS7 was rebuilt from the ground up and is marketed as being more stable than other versions. This is simply not true. I upgraded over a month ago and it crashes or locks up weekly. It is also marketed as "powerful presentations made easy." There is nothing easy about this program. It is powerful, if you are willing to go through multiple steps to get your presentations the way you want them. MS7 is missing many of the features that were found in previous releases. In reworking the software, they have made many changes that practical usage very difficult and time consuming.

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

I have been using MediaShout since they began and have remained loyal as to not have to learn a new software.

Response from Wordsmith

Replied September 2019

We're so sorry for your trouble. I understand where you're coming from. In streamlining & rebuilding MediaShout in Version 7, a lot was simplified, and we're still releasing some of the more advanced features over the next several months. But the basics are where the majority of users do think things are easier and quicker. We broke out of the box of limitations on a lot of things. Tech support has had less "how do I" questions than ever because things seem to make more sense. With that said, there are things about the heart of MediaShout that we want to stay in the workflow..we're always open to feedback on those. As for stability, we've had a few hurdles, but it's been an impressively smooth new release--much more stable than previous versions right off the bat, and issues we've had have been with very small groups and specific systems. V7 has nothing in it that was repackaged from the past. Tech support is available and developers will work ASAP on any reported issue.

Rrichard from Christ United Methodist Church

Media Shout 7 - Latest Version

We have used Media Shout from version 4/5, then into V6 and now V7. All of the releases have gone very smooth until V7. It seems they wanted to meet an arbitrary delivery date and released it prematurely. Now, with this latest release MS7 seems ready for prime time.

Pros

After all of my critical critiques of MS7 early releases I thought I would follow-up with a review of the latest release. I almost had to start from scratch, relearning how to build cues and formatting pages. But, I was able to build this weeks service in MS7 and it ran without any issues/aborts (unexpected shutdowns). I did not use any of my old MS7 scripts but started with a "new" script and built the entire script from scratch. I also imported a MS6 Announcement script into MS7 and did not experience any issues. The "new" MS7 announcement script ran using script control which it imported from the MS6 script. This release has fixed the unexpected shutdown issue that we were having with the early releases. Another PRO is the support staff at Media Shout. They bend over backwards to help you solve issues or help you learn how to use the product.

Cons

Their early release of the product. There were several features that would give you a comment that this feature would be coming in a future release. With the early releases the software would shutdown in the middle of our church service. To date this version of MS7 seems to be stable.

Keith from Alamo city church

Great presentation formate

Are use it in two separate ministries elementary and junior high and off-campus events like camps and retreats

Pros

It is very easy to use I do elementary kids ministry and my kids are able to maneuver around mediashout and use it during our celebration services

Cons

There are several updates a year called builds That must be manually updated. I did have a glitch in my program that stumped the media shout team and was in unable to be fixed at this time

Ease-of-use and price point

Response from Wordsmith

Replied August 2019

Hey Keith! Thanks for the positive review and insight! You're right those builds are updates for the program where we release improvements, new features, etc. Users can run on the one they have if they want but we do always encourage you to move up to the newer builds when it's convenient, to take advantage of all the improvements. Now that MediaShout 7 is out, the updates will be few for MediaShout 6- only on an as needed basis. But we will continue rolling out new features for Version 7. One cool difference though is with the new MediaShout 7, we are going to be able to simply release new PLUGINS instead of updates to the entire program, once the framework is satisfactory. That way users won't have to update the whole thing, but just install new plugins that are of interest to them! Regarding the glitch or issue- I'm looking all over but can't find any details. If you have the time, feel free to check in with our team to see if maybe we have an answer for you at this point. Thanks!

Jon from Downs Valley Church

Good but some issues

We have been long-standing MediaShout users, right back from version 3. We have loved it for its flexibility and for how easy it was to use. It was quick and simple to train people up on it. That was until we moved to version 6 when the programme became overly complex. Key features became hard to find and unnecessarily difficult to do. Version 7 is exactly the same. As a consequence we went back to version 5 until the old laptop packed up and we could no longer use our licence keys for it. We are very close to giving up on Mediashout and moving to an alternative because you've made it so hard to work. We would really appreciate some basic functionality to be restored to make the whole experience simpler and therefore more enjoyable, instead of tearing out our hair every time we use it.

Pros

Huge range of features making it very flexible for every context

Cons

Some key features were far easier to use on previous versions Some tabs are not well laid out and key functions are sometimes hard to find Some changes from previous versions are illogical and make the whole experience somewhat frustrating

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

Loyalty, plain and simple...for the moment but we will change if we find something that suits our needs better

Paul from Reach Mission Trips

No longer using

This was the cutting edge presentation software for churches when it first was released. Then ProPresenter came along and made everything easier.

Pros

The bible scripture feature was so easy to display verses from different bible translations.

Cons

It was not user friendly, especially for volunteers who weren't using the software enough to stay familiar with the layout.

Response from Wordsmith

Replied July 2019

Hey Richard! Thanks for your review. You're right, MediaShout was the "pioneer" of church presentation software with the first ever concept of being able to navigate slides in random order or use motion backgrounds even. I wonder if you've seen our newer versions that came out around when ProPresenter was launched, and after? People say that our recent version 6, and especially our brand new version 7 are much easier than ProPresenter. We have folks switching all the time because MediaShout still allows advanced features, but doesn't take an advanced user skillset to be able to design and run. I'd recommend checking out this link to see a video of how you can setup an average church service in literally 7 minutes total, in fact: https://youtu.be/hBiXSn4cDGI And running it-- so easy that anyone could do it without ANY training (As a worship leader, I've personally had someone jump on 5 minutes before the service, who had never SEEN Version 7 before, and ran it with no trouble!)

Renordna from Center Ridge Baptist Church

Great Software

So far, MediaShout is a great program. We use it st my church and we're still getting used to it but working with it hasn’t been that bad. We’ve had a few hiccups but it wasn’t anything that the support team couldn’t solve.

Pros

I love the user friendly software. It was easy to install and the setup is easy to navigate.

Cons

No cons at this point. We are still getting adjusted to the software. The small issues that we’ve had have been easily taken care of by customer support.

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

MediaShout in my opinion offered more features and again user friendly software than the competitor. Also, a friend of mine recommended MediaShout to us. He also uses the software at his church.

Response from Wordsmith

Replied September 2019

Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to provide your feedback. We're here for you, so continue to take advantage of support if you need us!

Troy from Baker City Church of the Nazarene

Hopeful

It's getting better as we learn workarounds to issues that we experience.

Pros

It doesn't operate on a per month fee. Being able to own it is refreshing. It's fairly simple to use and learn as we have to teach many people to use it. Their customer service is fairly responsive (although the fact of the time difference between us and the eastern time zone limits it's availability substantially).

Cons

The newest version is more of a beta in process. Although they have offered an update that has stabilized some issues there are many that continue to degrade use and stability.

Primarily cost

Response from Wordsmith

Replied February 2020

Hey Troy. Thanks for taking the time to review. We're sorry about any issues with the newest version you may have. The updates we've been able to do now that the new version is over around 8 months old have made it pretty "mature" in a sense we've eliminated 90% of any kind of issues, but there may be some more rare and random lingering ones. Our next update hopefully within a few weeks (this is written as of 2/10/20) will resolve some of those last remaining ones so overall it should be a very reliable and straight forward product for anyone wanting to jump on! As always, let our support know at support@mediashout.com or our other avenues, if you need anything!

Michael from OrangeWave Creative Media

Good product, could still use some work

I've been using MediaShout weekly since 2009. I've learned most of the tricks, bugs and shortcuts to the older 4.5 version, but I haven't really tried version 6 a ton because I can't get it to do what I want all the time.

Pros

Very easy to add lyrics to the presentation, integrated nicely with other products most churches probably use anyways.

Cons

I am currently using version 6 and version 4.5. I am sticking with 4.5 for now because I can't find a good way to use my keyboard on version 6. In version 4.5 you can use the arrow keys to navigate the cues without firing them, then hit enter on the one you want to fire to the presentation. Maybe I just don't know how to use the newer software, but it feels a lot harder to control since I'm using my mouse a lot more. (on my laptop I want to stay away from the trackpad as much as possible!) You can go through (sort of) the cues with your arrow keys but enter isn't the way to fire the cues, and I have a lot of volunteers that help me out with running media, so I want things to be as simple as possible but also flexible enough to skip cues if need be, so telling them to just press spacebar isn't always the best way to do it either. There's also some overall clunky things in the newer version with editing songs and text cues and how it reformats when you try to repaginate things to your liking. It looks like a nice try, there's just enough finnicky things about it to keep me tied to the older, slower 4.5 version for now.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied November 2018

We appreciate the feedback. V6 is a little different- it puts more at your fingertips without going to different layers to edit. Multiple parts of the program are "active" at the same time. We tried to allow for things like entering numbers and pressing enter to fire, but the challenge was that commands were being sent to the editing functions and not just to the control functions. However, there are a couple of ways to navigate and fire cues such as the F7 and F9 keys, or like you said, the space bar. You can even assign custom keys. You only need to click to jump to out of order. I do realize that is common, so I hear you. For text editing, be sure you have page breaks inserted (Ctrl + Enter or right click and select "Page Break" in a text box). This keeps your pages split as you want, regardless of changes to text size or text boxes for instance. Let our support know (mediashout.com/support) if you have specific questions so we can help. Thanks again!

Rita from Living Hope Christian Church

Customer service/support is amazing! First time user or an experienced user, they've got your back!

Pros

First and foremost, their customer service / support is the best. Any issue (my own or theirs) I've ever had the MediaShout team has effectively and efficiently solved to my utmost satisfaction. The team is very knowledgeable about their software, know it inside out, and are on top of their game with it. [No non-english speaking people reading from a script with these guys!] They are tirelessly patient and extremely concerned with making sure my experience with MediaShout is the best they can make it. That alone makes the money spent on the software well worth it! Secondly I love that I can edit the presentation on the fly and live. My Pastor has a tendency to ask for something to be done right BEFORE service starts. Can you show this? Can you add this scripture? You can do all that easily during service with just a few clicks! We couldn't do that before. It's a win/win for us. Pastor's happy and we're happy! And thirdly, I love that I can now spend more of my time focusing on the pictures / graphics that I want to use instead of spending the majority of my time on formatting and setting up road maps for our worship songs. MediaShout allows you to format the entire cue or script easily! Setting up road maps [that my worship leader changes each time we sing it] is a breeze. Just drag and drop everything in the order you want it and wallah! And the best part, with the words showing up on the stage with the next line feature, MY team thinks I'm a rockstar!

Cons

I don't like that the main stage and the stage are tied so closely together when creating lyrics. I'm very anal about word placement in regards to the picture / graphic I am using. One slight change on the main effects the words on the stage as well as the next line feature. I know I can use the alignment buttons the software provides, but like I said, I'm anal about word placement. I would also like the ability to change the position of the words that show on the stage without it affecting the words or the next line feature as well. Although the MediaShout customer service is top notch and the support they offer is the best service around, I do wish their user forum was a bit more active. You can learn a lot about how to use a program more effectively by communicating with other end users. I have yet to find a forum within [or without] MediaShout that actively offers this valuable resource.

Greg from Lutheran Church

Amazing but buggy

I love​ the flexibility and creativity it offers.

Pros

I love being able to put video backgrounds behind lyrics on slides. It's a such cool effect. MediaShout is an amazing tool for presentations. I especially appreciate the song & scripture libraries that are independent of any backgrounds.

Cons

I find that MediaShout crashes often. It's more reliable during presentations, but when I'm adjusting the slide order or making other changes, especially with video, it's still buggy.

Response from Wordsmith

Replied July 2019

Thanks for the encouraging review and using MediaShout! We're sorry for any trouble you're having with crashing. With our version 6, it is a pretty solid program and we don't see that often except for cases where the PC isn't quite up to spec, or maybe there's some system issues that need to be addressed. Our great support team is here for you if you connect with them on mediashout.com/support. I would bet we could resolve just about any crashing issue if your computer meets requirements. On another note, our NEWEST version, Version 7 blows just about every software out of the water in terms of stability, and I'd encourage you to check it out. There's less to worry about when it comes to Windows updates, display settings, external video codes-- we've simplified it and put it all in the box so MediaShout can be self sufficient and less susceptible to external system issues. Give it a try on www.mediashout.com/trial to see what it's all about!

Russ from West Side Church of the Nazarene

Improving

I produce weekly presentations for use in worship services.

Pros

MediaShout is a good software solution for churches developing projections for worship. It is created specifically for church use by people intimately familiar with that world.

Cons

It may be too much to expect, but it seems that every 18 months or so, a new version arrives that requires purchase. Churches are not typically flush with cash and I feel this could be handled differently.

Response from Wordsmith

Replied December 2019

Hey Russ! Thanks so much for the review! We wanted to clarify one thing for folks reading- MediaShout typically releases new versions ever 4-5 years. At that point, users can opt to purchase an upgrade for much less than the cost of a full new license, or choose to continue running on their older version. Many users are still using versions from 2013 or older at this point! Although we do encourage users to update, it's definitely more than a few years after a version is released, before another is available.

Dee Dee from Mesquite United Methodist Church

We have been using it in our church for about 4 years. It has really enhanced our worship services

Pros

Mediashout visually enriches our Sunday morning worship experience. ** Our pastor uses sermon graphics or short video clips to support various sermon points. It is easy to import these into the script for him. **We love the time saving option of downloading scripture and song lyrics. ** We have an awesome choir that does special performances such as an Easter Cantata or Christmas concert. It is so easy to attach the background music mp3 to a title slide and then go right into beautiful graphics which visually support the song. **It is very easy to use MediaShout to set the mood for a special service -- especially more pensive services such as Maundy Thursday, Good Friday or our Blue Christmas service. **We've done some beautiful memorial services using customized slide backgrounds and photo slide shows with music behind the pictures. They are very easy to accomplish with MediaShout. **It is fun and easy to incorporate music lyric videos into our contemporary Wednesday evening service, using all or part of a video or even stopping it in the middle and restarting later. **We can import an picture of something that happened earlier in the service (i.e. a Baptism) and show it on the screens as a closing slide -- that's how easy it is. **The Customer Support team is A--mazing!! They ALWAYS go out of their way to help and advise us. ** We are an all volunteer team of 4 people, ages 65 to 80!!! If we can use this product, anybody can!

Cons

The learning curve from MediaShout 5 to MediaShout 6 was pretty steep. We had some frustrations making the switch. MediaShout 6 has had a few glitches, most of which have been fixed with upgrades. Customer Support has been awesome throughout it all.

bradley from Roseville Lutheran Church

Mediashout v5/v6

Pros

I loved how fast I could set up a service, we used this 6 days a week and it went from taking me 2 hours a day to 15 minutes! The thing that has kept me is the customer service the staff are always friendly and helpful and if they can't figure out my problem they won't stop until it's done.

Gary from Seventh-day Adventist Church

I love MediaShout. It is excellent church presentation software

This software helps to enhance the spread of important information, it helps to enhance worship services, and is very cost effective.

Pros

I love the numerous features and options that help to make for a vibrant worship service. Most of all, I love the wide selection of Bible translations that are available without the need of having to purchase a separate license for each translation. This is really the main reason that we chose MediaShout above the others.

Cons

It can be a bit complicated to operate the software. Stability is a bit of an issue. Even with a powerful machine, it may crash from time to time. I am not thrilled with the past licensing model that at times necessitated having to potentially purchase a new license if a computer crashed. It would be nice to have an option where licenses could be activated/deactivated via a secure login. However, I think that the new licensing model which makes it more cost effective just to purchase unlimited licenses will remedy this issue. Finally, upgrade pricing is too high.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied June 2018

Hey Gary, Thank you for the review! We've found MediaShout to be a very stable program among church presentation software. Occasional crashing can normally be attributed to outdated graphics drivers, implementation of PowerPoint or mis-matched codec settings. We also look forward to the day when users can deactivate "dead" computers via their secure logon to their MediaShout account. It is unfortunate that computers can become unusable before you have a chance to deactivate. In that instance, just give us a call -- or submit a ticket or chat -- and let us know the name of the computer in question and we will deactivate it on our end, opening that activation up for your later use. It wouldn't necessitate purchasing another activation to use on the replacement computer. Again, thanks, and be blessed!

Julia from Impact Media Corporation

BUYER BEWARE. LICENSE VANISHES.

Overall, in 10 years, we were left fixing and resetting codec issues multiple times a year. It worked 85% of the time and most recently not at all.

Pros

We have been customers for upwards of 10 years. The program worked with dual monitors.

Cons

We have purchased several upgrades - one because they forced us to. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. A few months ago we showed up for service as usual and our program said we were using a trial version. It started the 30 day countdown. Eventually we dig out the registration codes for the product we had purchased and it would not accept the code. We tried multiple times but it would never go through. We contacted tech support and eventually they just told us the company that managed the licenses for them no longer was. We asked what we could do to fix the problem. The answer? Pay $400 to get a new version. WHAT?!? We purchase a product with the express understanding they are going to deliver on that product. Instead, because they made an unfortunate decision to do business with the wrong company, it was going to cost US -the customer- $400. No product discount, no alternate license or work around. Just a response that would mean they succeeded at doing this to us TWICE. I’m not happy nor would I recommend this product. It does the job. There were things we liked and didn’t like but because of the investment we had, we stayed. No longer. We still haven’t replaced our program. We will be very diligent in reading reviews so we can get a company that is: 1) available with tech support without charging an additional fee and 2) stands behind the service they offer

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

It was a flip of the coin.

Wendy from Methodist Church

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Freezes and crashes

Overall, our church has been very impressed and satisfied with this program. It's the glitches tied to program freezes that distracts from Sunday services.

Pros

While there are many fine tuning details to learn, this is a user friendly program that provides lots of options for professional quality presentations. It's relatively easy to teach someone how to run a presentation once it's been put on a script and that's important with a team of church volunteers who rotate from week to week. We've used this software for over seven years and it serves our projection presentation needs remarkably well.

Cons

I, personally, still much prefer the format of the MS 5 to the MS 6 version and so do the volunteers at our church. It's just a simpler screen to look at and find things and I'd suggest that Media consider giving users the option of which design format layout they'd rather use. The biggest problem we've had with both versions came when we moved to High Definition Resolutions and file sizes and, despite trying to troubleshoot with Media Shout, we continue to have frequent crashes on larger background files, particularly video files. We're using many of the same graphics as we did at lower resolutions but upping the screen resolutions has led to far more crashes.

Mary from Grace and Peace Lutheran Church

The software is very powerful and has features for every size church and way/style of worship.

The software is built and designed for churches ... and allows me to support our worship services with spectacular visuals and a smooth running one hour services. The team of support people is outstanding. This software is the bomb and I love it.

Pros

It allows me to use beautiful motions as backgrounds and I can put text over the motions. It's easy to use and very well supported by a team of very knowledgeable and helpful Christian people. I don't use/need even half of the functionality but what I do use allows me to create wonderful hour-long services in a liturgical "high church" setting. I love my work as a visual worship leader and could not even begin to do my church justice without this wonderful and powerful software.

Cons

Same thing with all software I guess ... when big new releases come out, the learning curve is very rough. Part of that is on my shoulders because I'm not a young techy ... but wow sometimes I wonder why developers don't take into consideration the stress it creates and time required to have the user interface change so drastically that the user feels lost and has to start from scratch. And you know how much time we have on our hands. But, bottom line is the software and support is awesome and I love it.

Richard from New Prospect Baptist church

Industry: Graphic Design

Newly Designed User Interface Poor.

I want to remain on 4.5 which has an excellent interface without a steep learning curve. Pastors do not have the time to be techies. We need something that is stable. Unfortunately, Media Shout has taken 4.5 away making it impossible to use if reloading on a new computer.

Pros

Nothing. The learning curve of a new interface doesn't allow me to receive value from this product

Cons

User Interface. It's like a product I never seen though I've been a customer for 15 years.

Response from Wordsmith

Replied January 2019

Hi there! We're sorry to hear about the initial difficulty with V6. We know that with a new interface comes some time getting comfortable with it, and that time is valuable especially in ministry. However, this was one of those situations where to make it better all around (+ easier/faster to use), we had to make the jump to something new. What we've heard from lots of users so far is that it was worth getting to know the new layout, because they've now saved lots of time in the long run. After a few weeks, most say they're working faster than before because of the more intuitive controls with less clicks, less menus, and ultimately less obstacles to your work. Regarding V4, it will remain a MediaShout classic that has served us well, but unfortunately due to it being around 10 years old, certain components were not able to be kept up because of their age. Check you email, as we've sent you a link to some complimentary training for MediaShout 6 that can help bridge the gap!

Erik from Bethany Baptist Church

Made my first custom count-down timer

Pros

I'm not usually the on-site tech guy for special events, but it happened to be me the other day. Among the inevitable last-minute requests was a count down timer to display on the main screens during intermission so everyone would know when it was time to continue the concert. But, they didn't want a generic video off youtube, they wanted something themed to match the event so it looked intentional. Now, I am not the regular Media Shout guy, in fact I don't think I had ever actually used it for a live event before. This responsibility falls on me so rarely that I usually just go with PowerPoint. I knew MediaShout had better tools for us, but never bothered to learn them, and I was more familiar with PowerPoint. But, a count down timer? I did a quick search on how to create a count down timer in our version of PowerPoint. After skimming a few steps in, I realized this was not the way to go. So, I opened up MediaShout to see what I could figure out. Oh, my, that was too easy. I dropped in a background to match the concert theme and added a count down timer, gave it a nice font and matching color. Ta-da. The event organizers were happy and it worked flawlessly.

Cons

Seems like this thing loads pretty slow. It's running on a good computer, but still seems like it takes forever to open and load up the file.

Alwin from CMTC

Amazing Presentation Software

Pros

The program is very easy to use and covers all our needs as a church. Being able to show lyrics and Bible verses and ppts seemlessly makes MS6 worth it. Being able to open multiple presentations is a useful new feature.

Cons

We have encountered random crashes and bugs in the program. Even those are rare, it does get annoying if that happens during service. When moving between decks, it feels like MS6 is moved backwards in comparison to MS5 and MS4. Being able to skip slides without having to use the mouse is very useful to our church and using the arrow keys then entering was a valuable feature that was lost. Finally, an update to the Android version of MSRemote to match the iOS would improve our experience.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied June 2018

Hey Alwin, Thank you for the review! I'm sorry you've encountered occasional "buggy" crashing issues. I would mention that crashing, though rare, is often caused due to a Windows Update changing settings in your machine. As a software, MediaShout is supremely stable and will only crash, for instance, if you have outdated video card drivers, PowerPoint implementation, or mis-matched codec settings. When something like that happens, reach out to us -- submit a ticket, get on our chat line, etc. We're here to help! Thanks, and be blessed!

richard from Saint Andrew UMC

Good product for our Church

We have been using it for years for our Church's audio/visual.--Display presentations (church services and special services) needs. Started with Version 3 many years ago. We have had problems/bugs, but there support staff has prevented catastrophes. Newbies might want consider Support Plus at least for a while.

Pros

It does what it is designed to do. Learning curve isn't overwhelming. Support people are EXCELLENT.

Cons

They rely a lot of video training. I would like to have a more in depth manual. Although not the fault of Mediashout, Using Powerpoint slides can be problematic. We do fine with Powerpoint 2007 and 2010. Changes made by Microsoft prevent us from updating to newer Microsoft Office.

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

We did a trials and Mediashout was considered the best solution.

Response from Wordsmith

Replied February 2020

Hey Richard! Thanks so much for taking the time to review. We take pride in listening to feedback from users and responding when we can. I wanted to let you know we do have a new PDF manual we're about to put out for MediaShout 7, AND our very next update issues improvements to one of our Powerpoint import mechanisms (which of course has been challenging with all the changes to MS Office). Feel free to check it out when it releases (it will be announced via email) and get with our support if needed!

Gary from Glendale Adventist Church

5 was great but 6 stinks

Does what I need it to do in setting up worship media. My experience was great for versions 3-5. They just really screwed up version 6. It does it all, but in the most cumbersome way.

Pros

It will do all sorts of things, pretty much anything you want.

Cons

I've used Media shout from versions 3 through 6. 5 was great - I loved it. Easy to use. Virtually no learning curve. Very intuitive. Then someone decided to make major changes on version 6. Very cumbersome. Hard to figure out. Not intuitive at all. I actually hate it, but have not choice but to use it. Even after nearly 2 years, I still can't stand version 6. One of the most annoying is that things like column width on the screen, remote on/off, preview screens, compact script - none of those things save with the program. So if you have to do a quick reboot, the program comes up with several things you then have to do in addition in order to be back to where you set it. The lyric setup - entering your own lyrics - is really cumbersome. Seems like the program is friendly to those who use the lyric service, but hard for those who want to do their own lyrics from scratch.

denniS from Enon United Methodist Church

Have been using for more than 5 years and it does not disappoint in any way

Ease of use and reliability are the main benefits. I also have always been impressed with the customer support. The way they have always understood what I am going through in my weekly schedule here at my church, understood my issue with me having to explain several times and helped me solve that issue.

Pros

Ease of use for my volunteers; Personal touch from customer support and that they understand my needs; Always ahead of my need with the functionality of the software.

Cons

Updates for the software seems to come out more often than I would like. Because I have volunteers that run the software in two services weekly (4 volunteers swap out weeks), they barely get used to the look and the feel of the program when it is time for the latest update and changes and the learning starts all over.

Ruth from Bethany place Baptist Church

Industry: Information Services

Mediashout

Pros

I liked how easy it was to use and train volunteers. Also the ability to edit during service was helpful

Cons

That you can't rotate pictures and inability to add more than 1 chapter of scripture in a cue

Response from Wordsmith

Replied July 2019

Hey Ruth! Thanks for taking the time to review. Good news for you- MediaShout does allow you to rotate pictures in version 6 and definitely version 7! On V7, if you put your cursor around the corner of it, you'll see a rotate icon come up and you can click and hold and move the mouse to do so. If you mean to rotate through pictures like a loop, you can do that too- now in the Plugins section on the top right. Click the cue you want to loop, click the Scenario plugin and check the box for advancing the cue, and set how many seconds you want. For multiple chapters of scripture- in the past versions of MediaShout you had to do these as separate cues but not in version 7! You should be able to use the text bar at the top of the insert bible window after you've picked your first chapter, to add verses from any other book or chapter along with them. Let our support know if you can't find it!

Kathy from Renewed Christian Fellowship

My MediaShout

We have had Mediashout for over 5 years and the devlopers continue to update and improve the product. Purchasing the premium help has made a difference in my stress level coming in on Sunday morning and not having to worry that I can't get help with a last minute problems.

Pros

My favorite thing about the software is the ability to change my presentation on the fly! Incorectly spelled words, wrong bible verse or version. This is one the main reasons we purchased this software.

Cons

The link to Songselect doesn't link. Freezing sometimes occurs in the middle of service and I have to reboot. This issue has greatly improved with the information provided under knowledge base for updates to Codec.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied October 2018

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! Like so many other churches, we are pleased that you have had a great experience with MediaShout. This morning, we were able to talk on the phone and you mentioned that the SongSelect issue cleared itself up about a month ago. Because we have not received calls on this issue, we are curious if it was an issue outside of MediaShout. If you are experiencing any issues whatsoever, we are here to help. God bless you and your ministry.

Heather from Cherry Grove Church of the Nazarene

Our church uses this software every week and it's got all the features we need, and then some.

Pros

The MediaShout people are super helpful and are constantly working to improve their product. They don't sell you something and then leave you hanging. One time I sent in a question just before the holidays. I got an answer as soon as the office was open after Christmas was over. I followed the instructions step by step and it totally fixed my problem. They are very friendly, knowledgeable, quick to respond, and speak my language. Oh, and they love the Lord Jesus Christ and live to serve him, and in so doing, they help us and they help meet the needs of the churches that buy their product.

Cons

Rather a steep learning curve, but that's because there are so many features to learn. So it's sort of a con but not really. If you have the time to learn the software, you will NOT be disappointed! There are glitches with every software program and MediaShout is no exception. However, if you call for help right away they can either help walk you through the fix or give you a workaround.

Church Media on a Budget

I used multiple versions of this software for about three years. The upgrades were better each time they came out. After the learning curve, the software is easy to use. That being said, there are better options out there if you're willing to spend a little more.

Pros

MediaShout had great customer service that understood what our church needed from the software. Overall, it was pretty easy to use. It came with a number of backgrounds and Bible versions preloaded in the software.

Cons

While the software was easy to use, there is a somewhat steep learning curve. For the price, it lacks some major features other worship software options. Depending on your situation, the extra money might be worth it. The major con is that each song must be manually entered. If this has been modified in a recent update, please disregard this con.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied August 2018

Thank you so much for your review! Since version 4 (2009), songs no longer have to be manually entered. With our SongSelect integration, its a breeze to add in lyrics! We would love to also know what major features it lacks. It could be that they are simply overlooked as we have features that no one has. Let our support team know if we can help further!

Jim from First Baptist Idalou TX

Media Shout Review

Mixed bag. Great when it works. The software defaults to single screen mode when something else outside of MS is projected and requires the computer to be set to duplicate the control screen rather than Extend.This causes confusion when we switch back to MS and set the computer back to Extend.

Pros

Functionality. Does things I can't do with other presentation software. I like especially the timed advance feature.

Cons

Problems caused by unexpected and seemingly random behaviors. Specifically, the timed advance feature doesn't behave consistently. I get a cue set up with pages that advance perfectly, and then the next time I run the script, significant time has been added to some of the pages.

Erik from Bethany Baptist Church

Full-featured program for your church screens

Pros

I confess, I haven't actually been behind the wheel driving it during a service, but I've installed it and tested it and talked with support. It's a great product with a great company behind it and an excellent value. You could just use PowerPoint, but this thing is optimized for showing stuff on a screen during a church service, and seems to have all the bells and whistles you could need. When I've needed support, they've been incredibly, well, supportive. Actually, the last couple times I needed support, I went to their website to look for how to contact them and instead quickly found an article with exactly the information I needed to make sure everything would be solid for Sunday. We use it to power three video outputs - the main screens up front, the control interface in the booth, and a confidence monitor on the back wall so the people on stage can see what's coming up next.

Cons

I've had trouble wrapping my brain around all the features and how to setup the presentation, or script, or whatever its called, but the guys that actually use it during the service seem to have picked it up just fine without a problem. Oh, and there's a slight lag on the confidence monitor. Seems like it doesn't change until it's done with the transition on the front screens.

Dan from Hebron United Presbyterian Church

Good Projection Tool with some quirks

Pros

I really like the ease with which you can build a script for your service and update the information from week to week. I also really like that you can build your own lyric library so you are not constantly entering the hymn lyrics from week to week.

Cons

I find that computer updates often change the output settings, particularly audio, and as a volunteer I don't always have time to make sure everything is working correctly. Also, the paste function within MediaShout acts differently (whether it keeps source formatting or not) depending on right click and paste vs. using crtl+v which I find a bit annoying. I also wish it was easier to create slideshows within MediaShout, but that is not too hard to do with the native photos app on the computer.

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

MediaShout was made specifically with churches in mind and some of the features (lyric library, multiple bibles) as well as the ability to easily add images and video were a draw.

David from Grace Community Church

Useful yet buggy and clunky

Our church has used MediaShout 4, 5, and 6. We continue to run the 4.5 environment because the UI build and stability are preferable to both newer versions. However, we had to purchase support for 4.5 separately, which was an unnecessary expenditure (it hasn't failed, unlike the newer versions which crashed weekly). Generally, our A/V team likes to use MediaShout and appreciates the flexibility to build scripts with lots of customization. Newer presentation software, however, has more to offer and cross-platform compatibility (like ProPresenter). Depending on your A/V team or Tech team abilities, you could go either way with MediaShout or a competitor.

Pros

Integrations with multiple Bible translations, integrations with SongSelect and Planning Center Online, ability to streamline scripts for new volunteers. Multiple screen output.

Cons

Legacy versions tend to run cleaner than newer versions, lots of updates to continue eliminating bugs even when out of beta. Not cross-compatible with MacOS. Support for legacy versions must be purchased separately.

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

At the time we purchased MediaShout 4, we had already been using 3 - we are long-time users with a bit of brand loyalty. We stuck with it because the volunteers were most comfortable in the environment they already knew and didn't want to learn a new system necessarily. This is why we haven't upgraded to 7, as well.

Niche features, with caveats

Pros

Ability to quickly recall lyrics and scriptures to make a great presentation

Cons

Plagued by frequent crashes, even after applying patches recommended by vendor

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

Appeared easier to train volunteers on

Response from Wordsmith

Replied July 2019

Hey there! I wonder if there's a system issue going on such as a video card needing a driver update, video codecs needing to be reinstalled, or Windows updates need completing. Version 6 is a very solid program and I trust it on the road worship leading myself- even on an older lower powered laptop. I'm confident our support can make recommendations to get you where you need to be (just reach out at mediashout.com/support). Also, do check out Version 7, as it's built on a completely new platform and it's less susceptible to even external system issues that caused poor performance in the past-- everything is in the box including video codecs needed for smooth performance with media files. We've worked hard to make it one of the most stable and reliable programs out there.

Barb from One Egg Production, INC.

We selected MediaShout to assist our visual needs for our Sermons. It has positively enhanced them.

Pros

The support team is extremely supportive and concerned about our needs. They are quick to address a support request and can explain the issue and resolution is terms that are easy to understand. They don't speak at you they speak to you, and that is a huge plus dealing with support issues. The software is flexible, adaptable and easy to train our members on how to use it. Their library of tutorials and FAQ allows you to try and work through at your pace, any issue that may arise or new feature to use. Though we haven't taken advantage of using a tablet at the pulpit, we were excited to know that we could attach one to better help the pastor navigate through his slides.

Cons

There have been a couple of times when Windows has updated and it effective the way MediaShout looked on the screen. But MediaShout was quick to acknowledge the issue and walk us through the correction.

Dewayne from Trenton First Baptist Church

Overall, very usable software. We can use different types of media in one presentation.

Pros

The convenience of using text, Bibles, videos without changing programs. I can also use various backgrounds from various sources.

Cons

Too many glitches. When they had a major issue in May, they sent out the fix with another bug, then they took the weekend off. I had to completely redo the service using Powerpoint on Saturday. My operator was unfamiliar with it, and we had issues. I finally received a reply with the solution the next Tuesday.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied June 2018

DeWayne, Thank you so much for your review. Our third party software company pushed out an update (unrelated to any MediaShout functions or features) that created this issue in May. However, our support staff was available on that Saturday from 11am-11pm and on Sunday from 7am-11am. We sent out many emails to our customers that support would be available that weekend and notified customers via pop-ups on our website as well. I'm very sorry that we weren't able to help personally like we able for others. As always, let us know how we can continue to serve you and your church. God Bless!

John from The Gathering

I find that it meets the needs of our church.

We can fully support our pastor with graphics, videos, Bible verses, and text. We also can easily display the words to our worship songs for our membership.

Pros

The feature I like most is the ability to edit a cue while displaying a cue. I like that Media Shout gives you all the Bible versions included in the cost of the software. When displaying a song we can see the complete words to each lyric so that the song leader jumps around then we can quickly see which lyric to display. I always like a company the is totally North America support. It appears all the support personnel also are Media Shout users in their local church. It is always a pleasure to talk to support, great Christian people.

Cons

There is a learning curve which requires new users to spend a lot of time learning how to use the software. The training videos don't cover all areas but a quick support call will quickly get you up to speed.

Heather from Calvary Baptist Church

Mostly good, some issues with settings being wrong and hard to figure out the solution

Easier to edit/arrange lyrics than the previous software we used.

Pros

It's easy for our volunteers to learn the basics. It is capable of displaying all forms of media we use. I like ability to create custom templates for lyrics.

Cons

When using the inline editor on lyrics, the cursor jumps up to the top of the page whenever I hit backspace and makes editing more tedious than it needs to be. Crashes often when using large powerpoints. At times settings seem to spontaneously change and I know it's not because someone other than myself was using the program.

Don from Information Technology and Services

MediaShout great for beginners & small churches

We are a small church and do not have an audio-video group or experiences in running software like MediaShout. I asked people at my work who attend other churches about what they have used, and MediaShout was one of the recommendations. As I researched them, their feature set and ease-of-use, along with the ability to buy a computer equipped with the necessary video card and other hardware, made them our best option. MediaShout support also helped me with planning the purchase of the 3 TV monitors & how to install them with the computer. Overall, it was a great success for a small church doing it on our own, with no prior experience.

Pros

Ease of use for a beginner. As I've used it more, I've learned more & more things about the software, and have become very proficient in how we use it at our church. I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface of its full feature set, but for our church, we are very pleased with it.

Cons

Occasionally, something doesn't work quite work as expected or the way it did before - but in each case, I've contacted support and got it working correctly again. In most cases, it was caused by someone changing a setting that was expected to have an impact. We're beginners, and don't have a professional team running our audio-visual equipment, so sometimes we cause the problems ourselves.

Christopher from Centenary UMC

MediaShout is a simple platform for our volunteers to use.

Pros

Ease of creating additional lyrics and slides. Ability to import from iTunes. Announcement lops are a plus, once you understand how to set them up.

Cons

Some difficulty in looping an imported video (i.e. funeral videos). I've had to babysit the presentation at times.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied June 2018

Dear Christopher, Thank you for this review! We build MediaShout based on feedback from users like you, so hearing your thoughts helps us improve. Regarding loopinb video, there are three scenarios. Playing a video directly from the web, of course, can't be looped, nor can a DVD. If you want to loop a video from a DVD you would need to convert that video into a file, like an MP4, using a video converter software -- there are many freewares available for that. To loop a video from a file, select the video in the edit window and, in the tool ribbon's Formatting section is a drop-down menu for playback. Change that to Loop (from the default setting of 1). You probably already knew that, but it was worth addressing. Again, thank you! Be blessed!

Mark from Una Baptist Church

User of Media Shout 10 yrs, I love that it incorporates many file formats into a Worship Service.

Pros

The easy to use 'drag and drop script' format and pre-installed songs, video backgrounds and Bible translations are a huge help for any church (especially smaller staffed churches like mine.) Whether you utilize all of the great features or only have time to create a simple Worship presentation, Media Shout proves to be much more user friendly and cost effective than Power Point or other affordable presentation software.

Cons

With occasional 3rd party updates, I have had to unexpectedly had to contact their excellent customer service to discover temporary work-arounds to allow Media Shout to continue to work well until their patch is completed (always in a timely manner, but never quick enough for that Sunday morning). Fortunately, their customer support is available on Sunday mornings for those few but vital times needed.

Debra from Resurrection Lutheran Church

Just so much fun to use!

I have used MS for 10 years and I have enjoyed watching it grow and flourish. Easy to learn, easy to expand knowledge and fun to play with. Not a whole lot of issues. Just keep your computer current!

Pros

With ease, you can use this. Any level from beginner to advanced will have no trouble using this product.

Cons

There aren’t enough videos to find out about the little known features! I learned how to find out where your backgrounds are being read by watching the support go in to missing media. More vids, please!

Mark from Media

First Rate Support!!!

Pros

I had questions about how to best create video content to be played on Media Shout. After a lot of questions on my part, I got very detailed, precise and easy to follow instructions from the technical support team that allowed my videos to be played easily and with great resolution. The videos were for my own father's funeral and the help I got took away my confusion and stress about the correct output resolutions and compressions. I was so worried that if I chose the wrong settings the videos wouldn't play. Instead, with your tech support it went so smoothly. I have been a broadcast television editor since 2001 and this has been the fastest and best tech support I have received in my entire career. Truly first class customer support!!!!

Cons

This software is wonderfully crafted for church presentations. It may not be the best solution for a large corporate event but similarly the software for corporate events won't be as good for your church as MediaShout.

Keith from Chapel at Tidioute Creek

MediaShout. It Works

I have been with mediashout since version 4 was in service. I feel like there have been a number of growing pains getting to the current system, but it has been worth it.

Pros

I love that those of us that are tech savvy can dig into the options and have some fun with our creativity, and yet simplify the screen with volunteer mode, so that our week-end volunteers don't feel intimidated........Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the updates have finally included compatibility with standard remotes.

Cons

The system sometimes freezes during service. My computer is more than capable of handling the software, so I have been trying to isolate why we get occasional glitches. At this point I am blaming it on older video background loops that are not mP4. I don't know why wmv files would cause an issue, but when I don't use them, I don't have issues.

Larry from Newberry United Methodist Church

I have used MediaShout since 2007 and have found it to be a robust program and easy to learn.

We are able to give worshippers a integrated way to speak to them which enhances the worship experience.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the options you have to easily mix your media types (text, fonts, graphics, etc.)

Cons

What I like least about the program is its' inflexibility to easily change the background on slides. This previously was super easy, but for some reason this option no longer exists as it once did.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied June 2018

Hi Larry, Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and will use it in future development to improve our product for the end user. Regarding changing backgrounds on individual 'slides,' or pages, this can be accomplished by simply dragging and dropping (from your file browser) on to the pages you wish to change the background on. To change the whole cue, simply drag it on to the cue, inside the script. I hope this helps in the use of MediaShout 6! Again, thanks, and be blessed.

John from FCFTucson

Media Shout user since 2008. It is super simple to use.

Pros

The ease of use is the best feature. It makes training new people on the software a breeze and it so easy for so many different types of people to learn. It is also easy to navigate to use on multiple monitors, screens, and outputs.

Cons

If you don't stay up to date with the most recent versions it can be very difficult to update songs, features to later versions of the product. This is a bit irritating and keeps us updating more regularly, which is expensive.

Response from MediaComplete

Replied April 2018

Pastor Smith, Thank you for this review! Our passtion is to provide a program that is easy to use and functional for the church. Our development team uses feedback from reviews like this and input on our User Forum to guide them in changing the future builds and versions of MediaShout, so hearing the good (and the bad) is critical. Our hearts are with you and your ministry! Adam Customer Service Team

Mary from New Covenant Lutheran Church

MediaShout

I use MediaShout for our worship services. I prepare the presentations and show them during the worship services.

Pros

Bible verses and lyrics for most of the songs that we sing during a worship service are included so I don't have to type in all of the words. It is wonderful that I can just select the items and load them into a presentation. I download songs that aren't included using SongSelect, too. I love that I can quickly correct or make changes during a presentation. We often include videos seamlessly. MediaShout enables our worship services to be professional looking without having a professional preparing them!

Cons

There's so much function and capabilities that I am not aware of. I wish I knew better how to use the software and even be aware of the things that it can do.

Lisa from Minnesota State Colleges and Universities

Great Tool for Service Media

I've been using MediaShout for our church services for 5 years! Each upgrade throws a bit of a learning curve initially but once you work through those and uncover the new features - it has been fantastic! There are a few glitches here and there that you'll find as you work within the software regularly, but overall a great product for what we need!

Pros

I love the built in libraries and the ease of creating and updating the libraries to fit our needs for our church! And if I ever a problem, the support team is quick to respond and help me out!

Cons

There are a few features, like announcements, I have yet to use as I haven't found the right info to help me figure out how to fire these off and play appropriately. There also is a delay in transitioning between cues within the software that does not happen on our display screens, takes a bit to refresh.

Nicholas from Mount Colah Uniting Church

I have used Media shout for 10+ years.

Easy to use program that runs my church, meetings and more. I even have older members who have learnt to use it as it was simple to run.

Pros

Ease of dropping all formats of files into a presentation and it all works. I can import files with not issues and it does the rest. I like how i can prepare a presentation at home and drop it onto the cloud and pick it all up at church with no issues. The ability to download and set the format from song select is awesome. Simple importing of sog library.

Cons

Learning the new set out. Having used Media shout for many years the main work bench has changed too many times and not always for the best. The current version however is great and so much better than the previous versions. Keep the updates happening just do not change the main set up screen.