• Pros

• "I really like the Mac Interface. Very Intuitive. Tons of very usable features."

• "We love the idea of putting people into groups. The Giving tracking excellent The The ability to handle lots of data is great."

• "This program gives you detailed reports about attendance and families. It also gives you detailed records of families. It has an easy check-in process once everything is set up."

• Cons

• "Report customization is lacking and could use more flexibility. The Query tool is is a bit cumbersome but works."

• "The user side of the system appears to be a little dated in the visual experience. It would be more effective and easier to use with simpler push button windows. Less text more pictures"

• "Our children's ministry wishes it could keep track of the kids club points system together with Check-In. Beyond that, I can't really say there is anything else I don't like!"

Browse Roll Call Reviews

Philip from First ARP Rock Hill

Solid and functional software. Outstanding Customer Service.

Greatly enhanced our organization's connectivity. Essentially easy to use and manage. Great customer service.

Pros

Really feature-rich. Mostly intuitive and user-friendly. Scalable to meet the demands of the organization. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND-TO-NONE. Quick to respond. Personable. Expert. Stays until the job is done.

Cons

Some initial learning required in order to really understand the product. The GUI could stand to be upgraded a bit.

September 2012

Phil from Wesley United Methodist Church

September 2012

From Many, One

I'm already thrilled with Roll Call, and we have yet to realize the benefits of creating our own photo directory, or using it to check in classes. I did just set up our various grade levels of Sunday School, with graduation rules in place- so that next August, one click will update all kids and their information into their appropriate class for next year- sweet. Setting up html email templates using urls from our website graphics was a snap, and made our communications 500% better looking immediately. Creating groups of things like, which members need a printed label for our newsletter and which ones get it online was incredibly easy. You may have noticed, we haven't started to handle our financials in Roll Call yet; it's worth owning even without that! Over the next year, we'll look to see if our Treasurer wants to join in on Roll Call. I do not doubt that if it does Financials as well as it does everything else, it'll be worth changing from ACS. Roll Call is a game changer!

Pros

Our church had a cobbled-together sock drawer of solutions that had been done one at a time over the years, in which nothing worked together. Roll Call allowed us to take all these disparate elements running under Windows emulation into a unified, dynamic solution in the Mac environment. We are just starting to reap the benefits,as our Fall season begins. It's so great to have our membership database, directory, attendance, Sunday School classes, mailing labels, etc. all 'singing off of the same music.' I would have treated myself to this program, even if the church hadn't purchased it; in addition to saying goodbye to Windows, I no longer have to live in fear that one of six separate things isn't updated properly, or that someone isn't getting a mailing. We haven't even scratched the surface yet as far as the child check-in, but it's coming. The HTML email enables us to look like we're paying for a commercial service, such as Constant Contact. Which we aren't!

Cons

We were attempting to export our old files from ACS, and their export utility made it virtually impossible, through no fault of Roll Call's. Hence, I spent a lot of hours re-entering data via copy and paste, with our old Windows desktop and new Mac version open side by side. It was worth the work, because when it's finally in and you can manipulate the data and reports, wow!

March 2015

Tara from Adventure Community Church

March 2015

Roll Call Recommendation for Check-In Services

Our church of about 500 has recently relocated and wanted to upgrade to a Child Check-In system that printed child's name tags with a parent security tag for a safe and secure child check-out process after class or event. I personally downloaded and tried over 5 different software programs using the "30 day trials" and Roll Call, by far, was the most user friendly! Entering families is quick and simple, creating groups with specific times, people, and locations is helpful, and the Mobile App saves $$ while being user-friendly to whoever steps up to the Check-In tablet Sunday morning. PROS: 1. Family files can be as specific or generic as you need. 2. You can check-in and print 1 child at a time, or you can check-in as a family and everyone's name-tags w/security tags print all together. 3. You can enter in volunteers and create their own group so all people serving can have name-tags as well. 4. Once you understand the printer set-up, from reading the manual and online help, it is easy to move forward with multiple printers and Mobile Check-In sites. 5. Excellent online support with documentations of previously posted help desk questions and the tutorials to solve them. 6. AMAZING phone support during office hours!! Not only helpful but conscious of my end ultimate goal and problem solved me how to get there. 7. Name tags are already designed simply and logically. No need to make a custom design when the default is perfect. 8. The user interface is simple and inviting. Everyone appreciates how clean and welcoming the Check-In screen is. ANYONE can use it :-) Even on the back-end in the set-up program. CONS: And this is from user error... (as in I didn't fully read all the instructions) 1. Confused setting up printers for Client vs. Mobile function. Again, once I read the directions and Josh the tech hero from Roll Call helped me, I was independently setting up and running 5 computers to 2 printers effortlessly. I've only been using the system for a few weeks and have a lot to learn to better support our growing church. Our parents love using the Check-In system and our volunteers love how easy it is for them to use and track our families. Personally, I was sold when I could figure out how to run the program without outside help. I'm not the most tech-savvy mama out there, but Roll Call is simple, straightforward, and they offer EXCELLENT customer support is you do get stuck.

Brandon from Westwind Church

Roll Call Review

I think as a basic database this works great. Our church has continued to update this software and probably will continue to do so. We also, unfortunately have to run Quickbooks for non-profits for paying bills and such. How awesome it would be if there was something to link the two. I have told other church planters like me to look into this software, I think it is priced right and grows with the church. I would suggest that the makers of Roll Call continue to make this software user friendly. Even more so than it is to date.

Pros

Cons

The email function is too basic. In this day and age there should be HTML functions. This is a MUST! The financial reports are left to the creator to edit if you want reports that people can read. If I do a 12 month giving report it goes across three pieces of paper unless I copy and paste a bunch of it which is a hassle. I think you need much more visually friendly reports for people to read. The query section is difficult to navigate. There are lots of possibilities (which is great) but could there be basic one's in place (Women's ministry, etc.) There is no right "click" opportunities to copy or paste, you have to go the the "edit" section of the men and select it. Shortcut keys are important.

John from Elk River Lutheran Church - ELCA

Roll Call Robust Feature Set

Roll Call is a robust software package with strong sales and technical support. The ability to use a check reader makes this software very attractive. Set-up is straightforward but will take some study. Data can be exported for manipulation in other software, but to do so will take some higher level skill. Financial summary data can be written to disk for import by some accounting software packages. As a stand-alone or networked database, Roll Call is an excellent affordable product that is worthy of consideration for either Windows or Macintosh platforms.

Pros

The database structure is well done with a predictable interface. Most impressive is the financial input and tracking. We are implementing using a check reader. This has greatly improved accuracy and has cut the time in half we used to spend counting weekly offerings. Having the check reader alone tips the usability and should be a standard purchase for all Roll Call users. With only a little work, all of the data can be exported for use in other software. Our initial set-up allowed us to import our initial members from a tab-delimited file without problem. This saved days of input and allowed the migration of our data to be quickly accomplished. Financial offering data is easily tracked and the standard reports are very easy and adequate. The program runs equally well on both Windows and Macintosh platforms.

Cons

Like any relational database, users should be familiar with database functions. This is not a simple spreadsheet list but rather a robust multi-function package that requires some study. However, training materials and support are quite good. Most functions are straightforward, but some require reading the manual for proper implementation. Assigning security levels to various users is a little difficult to understand - the documentation for this part of the program could be better. This is not a web-based solution for those wishing to give partial database access to congregation members.

Maredith from Reidland United Methodist Church

Grateful New User

After serving as church treasurer for 16 years, I decided I needed a break from the weekly (daily) attention. After 6 months of no hassles, I somehow found myself as financial secretary. Piece of cake, right? After a considerable amount of time looking for just the right software, I decided on By The Book's Roll Call. We are a relatively small church (150-200 regular weekly attendance), and don't require a lot of bells and whistles. At first, I thought we could get by with Roll Call Lite, but quickly realized we would need the full version because of wanting to track pledges. The support people at By The Book are SO helpful! I have had to call for support only twice; once, when I had trouble with the download (Norton issues) and again when I was having trouble finding a particular feature. The support people are very nice, and willing to explain various aspects of the software in a friendly and patient way. David is the one I talked to today. He helped me way more that I ever expected. He gave me all the basic information needed to get my church completely set up and ready to post contributions and pledges starting this Sunday. Roll Call has many features we probably will not use anytime in the near future (tracking attendance and that sort of stuff), but still is a very good price for what we will use. My primary use will be for tracking contributions and pledges. Once I got used to how to move around within Roll Call, data entry is very quick and simple. In just one afternoon, I was able to complete the setup and am ready to start posting contributions. Roll Call will allow me to track all contributions to any number of funds, in addition to tracking pledge amounts. The available reports will let me show fund balances and track pledged amounts vs. pledges received, or if anyone is behind or ahead on their pledges and by how much. Roll Call will let me send contribution letters by email or regular mail at any time. I imagine that, at some point, we will use Roll Call to print a church directory. One plus to Roll Call is that the software belongs to the church. It is on our computer. There is no yearly membership fee. One price does it all. If an upgrade is needed, just pay the difference and download. Yes, it IS a piece of cake! Thank you, By The Book!

Mary from Pioneer United Methodist Church

Administrative Secretary

I would highly recommend this database program to any church needing a more efficient way of keeping track of membership records, from mailing lists to giving records to Sunday morning worship attendance. All of my volunteers have been able to quickly learn their area from me just sitting down with them for a short time and walking through the process. I would recommend the full tech support service for at least the first year, if not every year. It's very comforting to know there is someone just a phone call away who can walk you through the process. Overall recommendation would be an A+++.

Pros

Overall great tech support starting with transfer of data from FileMaker Pro database to Roll Call. Easy to learn basics from just using the program and/or online helps and/or calling tech support. Tech support feels like family after calling and working with them just a couple of times. Entering donations, printing quarterly/yearly/individual statements, keeping track of pledges, running donation/pledge reports - all very easy to learn. I haven't found much that's not user friendly and whenever I've had a question tech support was just a phone call away. I love being able to call Kim, have her connect to my computer and watch as she shows me how to figure something out. If she's not sure she turns me over to Dave and he has been able to walk me through anything I needed. I really appreciate Dave walking me through the download process for every computer in our office. It was a blessing to find such a great program!

Cons

One of the areas we are having problems with is the "missing worship report" - however I haven't called tech support about it yet. Also, one of my volunteers thinks the way the attendance report with the dashes and number one's is hard to understand. I don't find it that difficult but she thinks there should be an easier to read format. I really don't have any real concerns as I know that tech support could help me with just about anything.

January 2014

Ben from North Gwinnett Church

January 2014

Perfect option for those coming from Fellowship One

Our church was originally a long-time customer of Connection Power (now owned by Fellowship One). CP was always a convoluted mess to me, difficult and complicated to use. When Fellowship One purchased CP and dramatically increased the monthly pricing, it was a great excuse to jump ship. We hadn't searched too long before we settled on Roll Call. It was the obvious choice for our budget. Our initial attraction was the one time fee for everything we need, and then no fee afterwords. We will be saving TONS by not having to pay a monthly fee. Setup was fairly easy, although I had to fire off a couple phone calls to Roll Call for some help, but they were very helpful and knowledgable. Our setup consists of 2 check-in computers. I LOVE how seemlessly the computers talk to each other. All the data that I input and changes I make on one computer is instantly available to the other computer (with CP, any change you made HAD to be synchronized before those changes took effect), with infared scanners. We opted for the custom key-tags for our parents, which look GREAT and very proffesional. We have received TONS of comments on how much more simple and quick the "new system" is. Overall, we are VERY pleased, as are our parents. The staff is pleased so far with the system as well. There are really no cons to speak off. The only suggestion I would make is the ability to make a more customizable welcome screen. As is, it's very bland and boring looking. It would be nice to be able to customize the screen (make the buttons larger, or center the screen, etc.) or add a background picture. Finally, Roll Call's software is very easy to use, with lots of great instructional videos online to get you going. If you're looking for gear to use (touch-screen, infared scanners, printers etc.), consider searching around on eBay or Amazon for used gear. It was much cheaper for us (e.g., we got 2 used Dymo label printers for $60 on eBay) to purchase used gear. Just a thought!

David from Blue Ridge Community Church, Forest VA

Roll Call has all the bells and whistles!

Pros

Roll Call literally is your one stop platform for all functions of church data! They do a great job at being very custom and continuing to keep up with emerging technologies such as being able to use your finger print for check ins for children's ministry! I also love that you can have custom fields for data and can do all your communication through one application either by email or text.

Cons

The only thing I could say about this software is almost the same with all data management software, which is continuing to work on how the program looks and feels. The features and functions are great I just think other industries are a step ahead in GUI. Overall though the software is very easy to navigate and once you get going it becomes very user friendly

Alethea from Huntsville City Schools

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Why call when you can roll call.

Overall, I enjoy using roll call for my substitute needs.

Pros

I like that I'm able to use this software to find a substitute when I'm out. I can log all the information needed of the sub into roll call. Also when I was substituting roll call made finding openings easy.

Cons

As a substitute, I don't like when it sends you openings that have already been filled. There should be a notification sent once the job has been filled.

Julie from Oasis Community Church

September 2008

It's a good product and reasonably priced.

It's a good product and reasonably priced. We have only been actually using RollCall for about 5 months and most of that time was in a learning curve. We are not using it to it's full cabability but so far, it meets our needs. I'd recommend to anyone implementing Roll Call to hold off purchasing until you are actually ready to implement so as to take advantage of the all the free tech support and training.

Pros

The biggest Pro for our church is to have all of our membership information in one place. Before RollCall, we had about four different spreadsheets, all with different information for the same people. The good thing is we were able to import most of the data from our spreadsheets into RollCall. The directory functions are so easy to use and it prints out a nice looking directory. We are just implementing the Child Check In and already find it such a time saver! No more lines waiting to check in your child!

Cons

The biggest con is not being able to access the database remotely. We have a small church which means most of the people that need to access RollCall have other jobs and would like to be able to access from home. I would also like to see a more robust word processor, particularly allowing importing of Word Templates for letterhead. Free tech support runs out too quickly. Since most churches are not in a rush mode, a better delivery of support would be on an hourly basis - say 15-20 hours of support, (which would include getting started classes) and when that runs out customer needs to pay for it. It just took us so long to get going that our tech support ran out and funds are limited.

Lewis from Holy Cross Lutheran Church of Austin Tx

Holy Cross Lutheran Church (Austin, Tx) Roll Call Review

I have been using a stand alone version of Roll Call V6 then V8 since June 10, 2003. I have maintain all contribution records for Holy Cross to present. I have just upgraded to V14 Client/Cloud so that our new computer-literate Pastor can also use the other feathers of RC. Very pleased with its performance. Custom support has always been outstanding!

Pros

Does exactly what I need it to do to track contributions and maintain address records for periodic contribution mailings. Our new Pastor will be using many more of the features of Roll Call.

Cons

Complex, but good customer support overcomes my inability to read the manual carefully. I tend to print manuals and use printed version, and presently I am using V13 manual with V14 software. Do not know what I am missing.

A church's best friend for attendance and membership data

Church admins will love this software, especially since it offers great support and training tools.

Pros

All the data about members and attendance are stored in one localized database. It makes it easy to communicate with church members and to keep track of which members are volunteering for certain groups. This is what my church uses it for mostly, but it also offers many other great features. Another great thing to keep in mind is that churches can determine which package is best for them depending on the size of their congregation, so they are not paying more for services that they cannot utilize.

Cons

The design of the software does not have a modern look. Very simple and basic, but this can also make it easier for users to navigate.

Greg from Wyldewood Baptist Church

Great Church Mangaement Software for our Organization

Our church was looking for a better system to help us keep track of our members and their information. We were using a combination of spreadsheets, word documents, and access databases prior to selecting Roll Call for our solution. We looked at two other options. We decided to do the trial for Roll Call, and after working with it for a few weeks and learning the features, we decided it would meet our needs best. Pros: - Full featured- tracks people, giving, attendance, services, small groups. - Has a web and client option - Any mobile device with a web browser is supported - The client works on both Mac and Windows - You only have to buy the software once, rather than a monthly fee forever (though you pay for annual maintenance) - Allows you to easily import from other systems (we used this to import over 200 records) - Email/Phone Support is EXCELLENT! David and Kim were very quick to reply. - There are many user videos that you can have staff / admins watch to learn the system. Cons: - Text messaging functionality needs to know the cell phone provider to work (as it sends email messages to do texting). Not a huge show stopper, but extra info we have to get and maintain. - The Roll Call Connect mobile functionality is quite useful, but doesn't offer all the functionality that you find on the client. It seems like Roll Call is committed to ongoing enhancements so I think it will continue to develop. Overall, this system is "light years" ahead where we were. I'm glad we made the investment and it has enabled us to grow and manage our Church much more effectively.

Ronald from Unity Church of the Hills

Roll Call software for churches

Would recommend without hesitation or reservation for any church that wants to organize it's office functions, keep up to date information on its members and to be able to provide donation information to a member, including statements, at the push of a button. Also includes tracking of donations and pledges for the minster and board of directors.

Pros

Very intelligent design to include the functions necessary for most churches, small to large. Easy to learn and use. Good user documentation and tutorials both printed and on-line. Truly outstanding support no matter if it's a how-to application question, assistance in formulating a complex query or help in installing a version upgrade. Good security which provides several levels of access.. Good support for the youth ministry including a child's special needs and allergies. Includes reminders for renewing of background checks. An excellent array of reports for every type of user from a data entry person, a financial person, volunteers and the volunteer coordinator, the youth ministry people and the minister and board of directors.

Cons

Competitors point out it is not browser based. That is not an issue for us. If remote access is required, we can attain it through a third party remote access program such as "Logmein" which is free.

Karyn from University Carillon United Methodist Church

Roll Call customer service is always helpful

Pros

I like the customized reports and customer service is always helpful if we have an issue or just need help trying to figure out how to run a specific report.

Cons

I wish the customized reports would export directly into Excel in one step instead of copying to csv and copy and paste into Excel.

John from Calvary Fellowship

September 2008

I think it is the best church software package available for its price range.

I think it is the best church software package available for its price range.

Pros

ROLLCALL is a great product for the price. Allows you to track many aspects of a members participation like attendance, groups involvement, giving, etc... It also allows you to run many different reports. If a report you desire does not exist then tech support will create one for you. It offers a child check in feature that can be used on Sunday morning for children's church. This not only looks professional but adds security making first time parents feel comfortable leaving their children in your care. Price varies according to church size which makes it very affordable when your are a young growing church.

Cons

Since ROLLCALL is not web based it can sometimes be difficult to access from a location other than your building, like your home. Also, child check in can be slightly complicated if you are meeting in a portable facility. You will need to either access the database through the internet and create a VPN, this may require some upgrades to your system, or copy the data file to a portable computer for Sunday service and then replace it to your server after. This adds a few steps which you must be diligent to do in order to avoid loss of information.

August 2014

Stacey from Grace on the Ashley Church

August 2014

2 Thumbs Up!

Overall we are delighted with the Roll Call product in comparison to the Church people management system we were using. For a congregation with about 200 members this is an ideal system. It is very budget friendly and we are not paying for data management that we are not using. The switch to Roll Call was quite easy as Customer support quickly answered or solved all questions /problems in the transition. Never were we put on hold or passed to a different department. We have been using the child check-in for 3 months and it has work quite well. I would advise 2 check-in touch screens if you have lots of visitors as the visitor check-in for children is takes about 5 minutes and cause a back up of people occasionally. However we are increasing are ability to get followup information on visiting families as a result. The attendance report feature works really well for this purpose. The People management input, search, lists etc. functions and is manipulated well. Love that duplicate entries are caught quickly and easily deleted or merged for best profile. Finding and opening a profile also is fast and I am not using my printed directory at all anymore. Yet when I need one for a member the directory is quick to format and print or save as a pdf attachment. Weekly contribution summaries and batch info are also formatted nicely and our book keeper is satisfied with the results. Again we are delighted and thank you for a great product.

Carolyn from TerraNova Church

RollCall Review - TerraNova Church

I would definitely recommend RollCall. The price is very reasonable, the customer service is fantastic, and it has allowed us to really grow our ministry.

Pros

RollCall has allowed us to completely automate our child check-in. It is very easy to use. The kids are able to check themselves in every morning. We are able to accurately track our attendance, run labels for various mailers, send mass emails, and run visitor reports to send postcards to our visitors. It also allows us to do an accurate headcount during class to make sure that every child is accounted for and checked in. We also use RollCall for our summer VBS program, and our mid-week bible study for our kids.

Cons

Some of the query and reporting features are fairly complicated. I no longer send emails out using RollCall. Instead, I export the email addresses and send them out separately. The email feature is very touchy and if I accidentally use the Enter key on the 10-key pad, it will send my email out immediately before I'm done typing it.. To avoid this, I no longer send emails through RollCall. Also, changing the fonts for some of the mailing labels is not an option, and it is a feature that we would like to use.

Mi from The Rock of the C&MA

Roll Call

Pros

Roll Call is great for a church database both for contributions and our children's program attendance. The program streamlined the donation receipts this year.

Cons

Like most church-focused software we considered, it has its limitations because of different levels of church size and the cost of online features. Our church is small so the higher costs do not suit.

Alison from Northgate Life Centre

Roll Call Software

I am very happy with the program - the few things I don't like we have been able to work around and are more than outweighed by the functionality of the whole.

Pros

I like the way Roll Call is a whole church system - we bought it primarily to keep track of children's church but it is so much more than that. It is easy to teach and administer and has the flexibility to be modified for our needs. The back up assistance after purchase has been outstanding - no question is too trivial for the company to follow up. My every issue has been addressed and answered to my complete satisfaction. The company have also assisted us in acquiring the bar code scanners etc that we decided to use with the system, which allowed us to get them at a good price and with no questions as to compatibility.

Cons

The query function is not entirely intuitive (at least for me) and while information can be extracted to another program for further manipulation, it is a slightly cumbersome process. I would also like to see more options for information and formatting with the badges so we can include all the detail that we would like to see. Also the ability to change font, size and orientation would be good.

Gina from Awakening Church Canada Inc.

Great!!

I was looking to save our church some money on office expenses but also find a program that works well with Mac. RollCall fit the bill on both accounts! We are saving $1400 a year now!! That's a lot for a small church! Thanks RollCall!

Pros

I love that it works well for those that are data entry focused, keyboard shortcuts all work great so there is very little 'mousing' around on the screens. The report exports to Numbers spreadsheets work really well and are much quicker than what we were using before. The number of different reports I can access make it really easy to get all kinds of information into nice presentations for meetings. I also love how I can so easily save it to a stick and "take RollCall home" to work at home too.

July 2014

Katie from New Life Church - Gainesville Campus

July 2014

We Love Roll Call

I am someone who uses Roll Call multiple times a weekend to resource the names of kids and their families attending and visiting our Children's Ministry. I do not have very much technical understanding and so while I hit some bumps here and there, it's been refreshing to just call up customer service and get immediate answers and assistance. Customer service has always been patient and helpful (and I call often!) We are starting to use Roll Call beyond the Children's Ministry to track our financial giving and as our overall church database, which is something our main campus has been doing for some time. The only con I have come across in my year of using Roll Call is that sometimes families checking in don't remember the last 4 digits of the phone number they used...sometimes they try every number in the family and still can't pull up their information, so in these cases they start the process all over as a new visitor. I wish as an administrator, I could simply go in and look them up another way, without logging out of the main check-in system. When this happens there is usually a line of people behind them waiting to check-in so we don't have time to log out and re-log in as an administrator...if that makes sense... Thank you Roll Call for helping to make our Children's Ministry an easy and secure place for children to be checked in and out of.

November 2011

Martin from First Baptist Church of Lansing

November 2011

RollCall Software Exceeds our Expectations for MAC and PC Users

We highly recommend this software for all church sizes. We needed something to get us out of the file cabinet records drawer and into the real world using electronic media. This is a simple software package that provides us everything we need to maintain membership and contribution records. Our church size is approximately 100 Members and this fell right into our budget range. We just upgraded to Version 11 and see even more improvements that will help us better communicate with our members and visitors with letters, mailings and Email. The report documents are much better and we see great improvements in the user interface.

Pros

Version 10 is easy to use and implement. Works well on a MAC as well as a PC. You can't beat the pricing as compared to many other softwares we looked into. You maintain / host the software on your on your premises and on your hardware. I was able to save time by importing membership data in a CSV format. It is very flexible in customization providing numerous fields to change for our specific needs. Customized "Access Levels" gives us security at different levels.

Cons

Sue from First Baptist church, Greensboro, Ga.

First Baptist Church Greensboro

Every interaction I have had with Roll Call staff has been wonderful. Not only are they very friendly but they quickly walk me through whatever issue I have to resolve.

Pros

Very comprehensive database.

September 2016

Caren from Community Bible Church

September 2016

Work and Roll Call

Pros

I like the multi tabs in the families and separate records for each person for tithing, reporting, and groups.

Cons

A good deal of Extra things that waste time and are either overkill or double info. Some of the inflexibilty in fields and their outputs when some of the records generate. Although the records are as a family, they still function separately, so you have to visit each person with changes (except phone & address). Can be slow and time consuming.

Terry from NGBC

Great in Theory

The software is great in theory, but make sure you have some computer programming experience in your background. I found the software to be difficult to navigate. Once the data is entered, its seems as if this software can produce lots of options; but, be aware the software is sometimes difficult for the user to figure out. Every report or request is tedious if you are not computer savvy enough to program the software to give you what you want. . . . . very little seems to be one or two clicks away from your desired outcome. Customer support gave me the answers I needed and timely, but don't expect an overview with a salesperson or service rep. Set aside time to watch ALL the videos and you might get the answers you need for setup. We are enjoying the software and it's accomplishing what we need. It just has taken an enormous amount of time to set it up and learn how it can work for us.

Response from By The Book

Replied October 2016

Terry - I am so sorry to hear that your intial set up has been difficult. We reach out to each person that downloads a trial of the software to see if they'd like any help getting things set up or to join us for an online demo. If you or anyone at your church are still having difficulty getting what you need, please contact us at 800.554.9116 and we'll be happy to help.

Roll Call is an excellent way to organize and track a Children Ministry in a House Of Worship

Pros

Roll Call allows you to ensure accountability and monitoring to your Children Ministries. By designating who can and cannot pick up children as well how is dropping them off you can rest assured and have peace of mind when you drop your children off with staff and volunteers.

Debbie from First Baptist Church of Port St. John

Secretary

After several years of experience with they system, I am very confident and continue to create reports and databases that fit our needs which is the greatest asset of this program. We have set up deacon sets and family groups which has been very instrumental in visitation and outreach in other areas.

Pros

Lots of choices to pull so many reports by different categories. Great for membership and contributions. Familiarity is your greatest asset. The more you use the database, the easier it is to pull reports and information. You can create your own groups, and you are not limited to generic reports. So you can be as specific as you want to be.

Cons

More workshops need to be available to help you realize how many reports can be pulled. This helps with all the custom fields. This is an area we did not utilize at first because we did not realize what could be available. I did go to one workshop in Fort Lauderdale but a lot of the workshop centered around contributions. I deal more with membership and family records. Ignorance is the enemy when you need information and can't figure it out.

Mike from Sugar Creek Fellowship Church of the Nazarene

Easiest software I've found

I tried to use another software program form another company. Even after hours of personal training from their staff, it was just too difficult to understand. Wasted about $. I found Roll Call and downloaded the trial. I was able to use it right away. And for only about $. Even when I had a question, the representative has always been so helpful. I'd recommend this program to anyone.

Pros

Ease of use and affordability.

Cons

Can't think of anything. It just keeps getting better.

Angela from Summit Ridge Church

Child Check In

Had served for 10 yrs at our previous church in Children's MInistry and have used varying check in's. This system has been the easiest and I love the ability to grow with more check in computers and or key cards as our ministry grows. Would highly recommend it to any church looking to update their system!!!!!

Pros

We have loved the Roll Call software for the Child Check In System. It has been easy to use, others have been able to easily figure it out and when we have had trouble the staff at Roll Call has been VERY helpful to answer all of our questions! Had to call serveral times and they were always ready to help us!!! Thank Yo!

Cons

We are using a Netbook, as we are a church who sets up and tear down each week, to do any of the behind the scenes work on the software we have to plug into a monitor. Not wanting to always have to carry the big monitor, we would love to see the ability to scroll up and down easier to see the whole screen on our Netbook. For just the child check in we have been able to use just the Netbook Screen.

Kathy from Shiloh UMC

Check In Review

Great support from company. Love the reports it creates. I like the old way of check in when everyone didn't get checked into every group they belong. You had to find the group and mark them in.

Pros

Easy to use. Love that it can be used for everything a church needs.

Cons

Everyone who gets checked in gets checked into all groups they have ever been checked in to and you have to go uncheck the ones they are not being checked in to.

Judy from Derby Church of Christ

Derby Church of Christ

I was new to the secretary job and wanted a church program that was simple and easy to use. We are a small church and didn't need a lot of bells and whistles. My son helped me to find the program on the internet and we downloaded a trial. It took me a while to figure out how to use some of the options, but it does everything I need and is easy to understand. I have had to call support a few times, but they were very helpful in answering my questions. I am very pleased with the program and would buy it again. Thanks

Pros

Easy to enter database and pretty self-explanatory

Cons

nothing that comes to mind. I found it easy to maneuver once I got my bearings. There are parts of the program we will never use as a small church, but it has everything I need.

Brenda from New Life Covenant Ministry

EXCELLENT MINISTRY AIDE

Overall...I would highly recommend this software to any organization that has a need for "STRESS FREE" membership processing. The reports are very detailed and also allows many options for EVERY need.

Pros

Roll Call is certainly a blessing and a miracle to my ministry. I have NEVER worked with such a fine and superb ministry software as Roll Call. The best part is the technical support that is available. Although, I had minor questions during my trial period - I still found the software to be EXTREMELY user friendly. I had to input data for the entire year during the trial period. I truly enjoyed the input and looked forward to working with each component of the software. In fact, I purchased the software prior to the trial expiration date. My contributions have been processed more timely and without a burdensome experience.

Cons

I have no "Cons" i.e.., negative comments regarding the product or the support staff.

April 2015

Caren from Community Bible Church

April 2015

Contribution Ease

Roll Call has made the recording of contributions a breeze over 300 per week. With the addition of the check reader, I have saved at least 75% of time it took to keep tithe records posted. I previously had to post once a month, after alpa sorting and then posting, then proofing. Now I am finished with the week by WED afternoon and up to date each week. What a savings on my job performance and time, not to mention information ready and time sensitive available. Roll Call has also made it easy to adjust, add, delete new members, givers, etc. I really like that when I call a record up it gives me other info (add/spouse name, nickname, etc) This helps to prevent error posting with first and last names are the same. IE smith, John, James, Williams, etc. Thank you for your work and service. There are still some things we are working on to get our records in better shape for ease of use , but overall there are so many great and easy ways to get the job done. Tech support has been quick and on the spot always ready to help. I just wanted to let you know that Roll Call is a great product.

October 2010

NANCY from FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH

October 2010

ROLL CALL IS GREAT !!

If your church is small to medium size and you are looking for a software to track it's members information as well as one that is user-friendly, Roll Call is the one!!

Pros

After reviewing several other membership tracking softwares, I almost had my mind made up, but decided to look one more time. Roll Call popped up and I decided to try the demo. Within an hour and a half I was able to setup, the church information, several trial members with contact information, Sunday School class groups, attach members to groups, complete contribution batches, a link to quickbooks for the contribution deposit and then a year end conribution report that would be mailed out at the end of the year! WOW!! It was so EASY! Roll Call is just what we need to track our members, their attendance and their contributions. I'm so excited, I can hardly wait to really get going!

Cons

I haven't noticed anything hard or confusing about Roll Call yet.

Gerry from North Stamford Congregational Church

Financial Secretary

I highly recommend Roll Call!!!

Pros

The program is easy and keeps tracks of members donations on a weekly basis. Quarterly statements can also be issued which enables members to keep track of what they have donated and shows them their pledge as well as what is due on their pledge. Members want an end of the year statement for their taxes and Roll Call also has a feature that makes that simple. One of the best features of Roll Call is the customer support. Whenever I have called them they are friendly, courteous and always able to help with any question I may have. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be able to do my job without Roll Call. In addition to keeping track of members and their pledges, I am also able to keep track of gift income and rental income. Roll Call makes it easy to calculate income for the church which must be presented at monthly meetings.

Cons

There are no cons!

Keith from Revolution Church

A Wonderful Solution!

Best church data solution on the market!

Pros

I have been in ministry for 17 years now and have never been satisfied with any church data management software until now. Rollcall is both a simple to use product and powerful ministry tool. In a world of complicated and expensive data solutions, Rollcall is a breath of fresh air. It not only meets my ministry needs, but exceeds them in a way that is very cost effective. Instead of a "one size fits all" approach to data management, Roll call has succeeded in offering the perfect size that fits us both financially and functionally. Thank you guys for working so hard to develop a product that keeps my life simple.

Cons

The only suggestion I might make is that the reaction time of the server be increased or some indication that what I click on has been recognized so I don't keep clicking and confusing the server locking it up.

Debby from Exciting Southeast Baptist Church

I have been using Roll Call for almost three years and I love the program and the customer support!

I don't usually have any problems with my Roll Call, but when I do I call Customer Support and they are wonderful people that treat me like a real person and not a number. I recommend Roll Call to my friends!!

Pros

Once I have my names, addresses, decision dates, baptismal dates, birthdays, anniversaries and personal details in the system, I can do alot with them. I use it to print out my Sunday School Rosters and labels for special occasions. I don't have to retype their information again. I even printed out a directory with photos. The congregation thinks I am really on the ball and I will be the first to tell you I am not; I just have the right software for churches!!

Cons

It does all I need it to do and we are an active church. We are one church with two locations. Works like a champ!

Derek from All Nations Fellowship Church

Very Pleased with few Concerns

I would definitely recommend Roll Call to other Churches. It's a great tool to help one manage the core needs of managing and processing a congregation. While there is room for improvement, overall it's easy to use and you can't beat what Roll Call offers for the money.

Pros

Strong software in the area of reporting, donations, membership mgt, attendence tracking. Intuitive and easy to use in terms of the core features. Very feature rich; Excellent overall package for the money.

Cons

The advanced query writer is awkward and difficult. Some inconsistency and quirkiness across different reports. For example, a single active member of an inactive/non-member family will cause the entire family to show on a active member report. Saving & recalling queries & reports is not intuitive. Inadequate flexibility in formatting letters; weak emailing in terms of editing, mass distro and interface with mainstream email clients.

Misty from Texas Bible College

Easy Attendance

Pros

Makes taking class attendance a very quick and efficient task.

Cons

It can be a little frustrating to add or remove a student from the class roll.

Chris from CrossWay Fellowship Church

Roll Call software

Overall we are very pleased with the software, anything that we have had to reorder has been smooth. We had to go through an upgrade for more users and it was very easy to do. We appreciate this very much.

Pros

Roll Call is very user friendly. It is easy to manipulate to fit your needs. We were really pleasantly surprised as we signed our church members children up how easy it was to sign everyone up.

Cons

Haven't figured out how to put in children with different last names than the parents? They maybe staying with an Aunt or Uncle or Grandparents due to a situation. For now we put them under the same last name, but this legally isn't the case.

Response from By The Book

Replied December 2018

Hi Chris - Wanted to let you know that you can have children with different last names in the same family. If you go into their profile record (under People>Search) you can change their last name to their "real" last name. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call us.

Ken from Pine Ridge Baptist Church

I have greatly enjoyed ROLLCALL. Excellent program.

Pros

It is easy to use and provides all one would need for keeping Church records. As a missionary, I was needing a program to keep financial records, such as giving contributions. It has been exactly what I needed. I had looked at several Church software programs and I am glad that I chose ROLLCALL.

February 2010

Jim R from Bluff City UPC

February 2010

Most Excellent Church Managment Software I've ever used!!

Roll Call is currently Super. It is hard to improve upon perfection.

Pros

We love the detailed record keeping & reporting. The cost is most certainly a bargain compared to functionality. With the implementation of version 9.5, the check-in feature is allowing us to empower others to have a sense of ownership in our church outreach. One might say roll call has inspired an internal revival of church workers. Thank God for Roll Call. We give it an A++, & with the below described improvements it would easily surpass everything out there in our opinion.

Cons

I would like to see a greater ability to multi-task with-in the same window. A central desktop type opening window with a look similar to quickbooks would be more appealing than the current file tab selection.

Leah from River of Life Community Church

Customer Service is Excellent

I was trying to transfer my records to a new user on my computer. I called them and they were quick to respond and very quick to resolve! They were also extremely, friendly! We are very happy with this software! Any software can be a bit difficult when learning. However, knowing that a quick phone call to customer service will answer all of your questions helps make this software excellent!

Sharon from Prestoncrest Church of Christ

General Review of Roll Call

Roll Call has been a work horse for us and would be a good product for anyone to purchase. We found it worked well with Mac, which was the main reason for our original purchase.

Pros

Everyday use for members, classes and groups is very easy to navigate. Donation information is easy to record and track. Most users are able to search for basic information with a little training. Support has always been excellent and the people are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Email is not user friendly for anything but straight text and is not useful for cutting and pasting from word docs. The formatting and some of the characters do not translate exactly. It would be nice to be able to forward forms such as attendance rosters directly without having to print and scan to email for teachers.

April 2012

Lori from The Rivers Edge Church

April 2012

Roll Coll - Time Saver!

Highly recommended for big or small implementations of check in system.

Pros

Roll Coll was extremely easy to install and is very user friendly. Using Roll Call has decreased the amount of time it takes to check our children into Children's Church. Many canned and ad hoc reports are included. Product is priced right for those churches who are mindful of getting the best for your buck! Support staff is always friendly, knowledgeable and williing to help. The technical staff is continually improving the product to keep up with "the times". For example iPlad support has just been released. The company is cutting edge without making you bleed.

Cons

User license is by individual versus family

October 2014

Tiffaniq from OpenDoor Church

October 2014

Always fantastic service!

Every time i have had an issue or needed anything from Roll Call they are so prompt and helpful! I never have to wait to be contacted and they are always so kind and easy to work with. Once i spent an hour on the phone with a man helping me through a very simple process- as we were going along working in roll call i would ask him questions about things completely unrelated to our task that i did not understand. Not only did he spend extra time helping me with everything i asked, helping me better understand their program, which was NOT the reason for the call or part of his "job" in that moment, but he was so kind and patient with me. I genuinely felt like it was his joy to serve me. And it has been the same with any other roll call employee I've ever encountered. Customer service goes a long way! And these guys have nailed it! Way to go!

Matt from The Summit Church

March 2014

Fantastic program for Church database records, track giving, Kids ministry safety and more!!!

Our church has been using Roll Call for 3 years and it's great! We've recently added the Mobile & Connect and they're fantastic to keep church records current and the fact the Mobile works on any smartphone or tablet is great too. It saves so much paper when we're doing our attendance and head counts on the weekends! From the administrative standpoint, we started Roll Call just as a check in and later migrated all of our church database to Roll Call to keep families together and track everything more succinctly. It's great that families can track their giving with Connect and give through there as well! It makes our Kidztown ministry safe and secure using the keytags and duplicate nametags for families to pickup their children. We're looking forward to the awesome material that By The Book developers and advance with in Roll Call!

John from St. Luke's Ordinariate Catholic Church

Gives me all I need to track my flock. What it does not have I can add in custom fields. EXCELLENT

Pros

I can track all my people including my visitations. What it does not have I can add through customizations

Cons

I wish I could do better reporting. I have not figured out how to make good custom reports. Also, I wish I could customize some of the fields in the dashboard. I'd like to integrate the email into my email software. If that can be done, I've not figured it out yet, but I have not really looked.