Browse PowerSchool Unified Classroom Reviews

Chris from Shiel Sexton

I LOVE IT

i absolutely love using this product

Pros

This is the only way to stay on top of you students grades, so nice to see what they have upcoming and what has been turned in and graded

Crystal from Park Middle School

I've used PowerSchool as a teacher for 7 years. I use it everyday, all day for multiple uses.

Pros

I like that I am able to track student attendance, grades, and assignments. Additionally, I like that I can access my grade books from previous years for reference. Even with the update, I can continue to access my past Grade books. With the program, I can also create attendance sheets and seating charts quickly and efficiently. Historically grades and attendance are stored within the program, in addition to state and national assessment scores. Student demographic information and familial information can be loaded as well. With administrative rights, one can access even more information; including the master schedule and teacher schedules. As well as, the student look up for the entire school or the entire school district.

Cons

I do not like the new grade book update. The format is difficult to use and a time waster. As a teacher, I spend a lot of time inputting grades, therefore anything that is redundant is an irritant. I see how they attempted to make the program almost more like an app in some ways, but that format doesn't make sense for a grade book.

Samantha from WUSD

Decent at first

Overall, it is a pretty good program with a lot of potential. I think it lacks in some features that would be fairly basic and would help to make this a better program for many teachers.

Pros

There are a number of different pre-entered selections to use for testing and whatnot, so that is helpful. Inputting your own is also not that difficult to do.

Cons

You can only search selections by one parameter at a time. I can either look stories up and see whether or not they cover the necessary standard I need to cover or I can look up the standard and hope a story covers that standard more than once. I wish there was a way to cross reference this. Also, there isn't a way to incorporate your own rubric on writing questions. You must choose whether it is a 4, 3, 2, or 1 point rubric. In my state, we have a three part, 10 point rubric and would be helpful to grade students' responses the same way that the state test and my classroom grades them.

Elizabeth from FWCS

PowerSchool offers ease of use

Overall I find PowerSchool to be easy to use and quick to update. I'm able to connect with my classes instantly and get students the information they need for daily success.

Pros

PowerSchool is, overall, a simple software to use. Building pages is pretty straight forward and copying content to other courses is easy to do. This makes teaching multiple classes of the same content easy to manage and manipulate.

Cons

I don't like that when an edit is made in one class, it doesn't batch update in other classes (or at least give the option to). This would make editing changes so much faster and easier for teachers to have that as an option.

What a gift this has been!

Pros

I love that I have my children's grades at my fingertips! No longer do I have to wait for a quarterly report card, I have their grades right away when I open the app. All schools should be using PowerSchool Learning. It is so easy to use and gives up to date information on how your children are doing in school, everyday they miss, what assignments they are missing, and even if they are tardy.

Cons

Getting signed up initially was a challenge. With 4 children in school it was difficult to get them all on the same account so I could see them all in one App on my phone. However, after many different codes to put in I was able to get them all in!

Kathleen from Guilford County Schools

Power Your Digital Learning

Overall, I had a great experience with PowerSchool Learning. I recently switched to a different school district which uses a different program to do the same thing and it fall far short of the amazing experience I had with PowerSchool Learning.

Pros

What I liked most about PowerSchool Learning was how easy it was to use. I was able to quickly and easily make pages for my students and fellow staff. Creating content was a breeze: easy to find plus button, click and drag boxes easily, everything is linked to my google drive, or insert content with a url. Create assignments, send announcements, connect with parents and professionals, keep all your resources and lesson plans in one place and LOOK GOOD doing it without a headache.

Cons

The thing I liked the least about PowerSchool Learning was that there wasn't a batch feature. If I wanted to move content around or copy it to another page, I had to copy or move each box individually or copy the WHOLE page. That could get a little tedious.

Dan from Noblesville Schools

Powerful software to help track data on our student populations.

Pros

This software is our main student database. It houses all kind of data that administrators, teachers, and district level personnel can access and use. One of the best parts of the software is the ability to limit access to certain groups of people. I have been using PowerSchool for years and they always listen to feedback and improve things. I think this is one of their greatest characteristics.

Cons

Because Powerschool is so robust, it often requires many clicks to access what you are looking for. This is an obvious downside to a software that does this much.

PowerSchool is a helpful tool for basic education management.

Pros

It is a nice way to organize student information for easy access. I really like that PowerTeacherPro allows me to access student grades from my personal computer at my home.

Cons

The software is kind of clunky and not the most intuitive. Additionally, when printing reports from PowerTeacherPro, the formatting is messy and paper-wasting.

Akshi from NA

Good tool to track progress

Pros

The tool is good in help sharing the report of the students and to keep a track of overall academics. The tool is simpler and easy to use and can be customized as per the needs

Cons

At times there are login issues that are encountered for unknown reasons specially on Android devices

Signe from Signe Jorgenson Editorial Services

Industry: Writing and Editing

Not as Intuitive as Other Platforms

I am pleased with PowerSchool Unified Classroom and recommend it. Just prepare to spend a little extra time learning all the nuances.

Pros

PowerSchool provides all the key features for classroom management. It allows teachers to post and assess assignments, communicate with other faculty/staff, and interact with parents/students. The interface is attractive and engaging as well.

Cons

For me, the learning curve was greater with this software than with similar programs. I'm not sure why, but it took me a while to get the hang of it. Maybe it's because I was so used to a previous system that it just took a while to adjust, but I don't think so -- I usually learn new software pretty quickly. PS Unified Classroom is great, but it did take me a while to get the hang of it.

Stacey from national heritage academies

Absolutely Worth Using

Overall, this system is well created and worth the time. The format of the forms make creation easy and smooth for the whole team.

Pros

I love all the forms that drop in. It's especially nice when they automatically fill in information from previous forms. It's easy to switch from form to form (invites, IEP, MET, transfer, etc). It is simple to fill in the boxes provided, note the red boxes that aren't done, and save the forms. It is helpful that the sections of an IEP will have a check next to them to show when that page is filled. The caseload glance is easy and wonderful to quick see all due dates. Parent contact logs and service capture are helpful logging places for such information.

Cons

I wish it was easier to work on with more than one user at a time. Often, it lags on timing with when a user exits which locks you out from that page. I also wish this system had forms for 504 plans. It would streamline that system! It can be tedious to switch from parent log to another because you have to go all the way back out to enter it. It would be super helpful if they had parent logs all in one area rather than going through each child.

Andrew from Glenns Ferry School DIstrict

Powerschool From Admin POV

I have been in charge of managing the powerschool server and database for a small school district. Updates are often straightforward to deploy for a single server environment but can be time consuming. To save time and hardware related costs we oped for the hosted platform which is very easy to work with except support is often slow to respond as you have to go through support to talk to the hosting team. There is no direct line to the hosting team and this can slow things down.

Pros

It is very capable and the new Powerteacher Pro which just replaced gradebook is very simple to use. There are still some issues with the new gradebook replacement but all in all it is sleek, online and easy to use. I have not used the new LMS so can not review that element. The system is fairly easy to manage as a self hosted system as the support tends to be good. The powerschool hosted version is very easy to manage from and IT managers perspective as it's very hands off.

Cons

The hosted version support is slow to respond. There is a very steep learning curve for secritaris and business managers.

terria from Four Corners Charter School

Realtime Feedback

My overall experience PowerSchool has been without any major issues. It is a fairly easy system to learn and although it is not really visually appealing, it gets the job done.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that it is a fairly easy system for both parents and students to understand once logged in. I am able to take daily attendance, access student information, create a seating chart, and put in student grades in one system.

Cons

I do not like that at times it can be a hard system to get logged into. This is probably the most common issue among parents alike, and at times teachers

Angela from Berlin Area School District

I have enjoyed using PSL for the last two years as a LMS for my students.

Pros

The ease of use in creating pages, posting assignments, assessments and discussions. I like that it is simple to copy prior coursework to a new course and therefore not have to recreate everything every trimester.

Cons

I don't like that I can't release assignments to individual students based on completing and mastering a prior assignment/assessment. It would be useful for self paced learning to be able to automatically move a student through a unit based on that level of completion and mastery.

Mary from NC public schools

Easy to locate multiple avenues of student informatiom

Pros

Software packages are extremely easy to navigate on both the scheduling and live ends. Once you understand the reports and how to run queries there are many stock, useful and helpful reports available in a few keystrokes

Cons

While reports are extremely helpful, the learning curve on running them is extremely sharp and can be very cumbersome when first migrating into the PowerSchool ecosystem. Additionally search criteria has to be very specific and shortcuts are needed to be memorized

Matt from Miss Hall's School

Great LMS Software

PowerSchool Learning offers a great way for our teachers to set up their classes online. We don't offer online courses, but we use PowerSchool Learning in our traditional classroom courses. It offers great tools for teachers to structure their classes, share class materials, provide web links and other content, schedule assignments, and more. Both our teachers and students picked it up quickly thanks to the intuitive design.

Pros

This is a really nice LMS platform. The Google integration makes it a breeze for our students and teachers to sign in and the IT staff finds it easy to create new users and manage the administration of the software.

Cons

PowerSchool Learning isn't incredibly expensive, but the annual costs are a little tough to swallow when you see free alternatives like Google Classroom out there. We currently stick with PowerSchool because it offers many more features than Classroom.

Can check my grades, class docs, and homework

Pros

Good way to communicate to teacher and class, easy to see grades and find documents for class, and figure out homework assignments.

Cons

Not always easy to see lots of information at once, you can only do one thing at a time, such as view a class PDF.

Carlos from LWSD

PowerSchool Learning Review

Great program! I am very happy our district is using and definitely think we'll be using it for more years to come.

Pros

*Allows teachers to track attendance, alignments and student grades all in the same place. *Easy for parents to learn it. *Lots of school districts use it so you save time training new teachers. *Plenty of data available that can help all kinds of employees, from teaching assistants to district administrators.

Cons

Because there is so much information in it, newcomers struggle to find what they are looking for. They tend to rely on experienced users rather than figuring out themselves. The UI is also a bit outdated.

Dana from Apple's Chapel

Power School

I love the fact that all of the information is in one place.

Pros

I love that I can see each of my children's progress on a daily or weekly basis. It is an easy way for teachers to keep you up to date.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of breakdown when they have to update the system quite often. For some reason, this usually happens at the end of the grading period.

Jarred from Northland Lutheran High School

PowerschoolLearning

Overall my experience with powerschool has been decent.

Pros

I like that powerschool offers an organized way to enter grades and other student data and keeps track of the necessary information in one place.

Cons

I dislike the fact that it is not very user friendly and the UI isa little outdated. When entering grades values revert to defaults when something is changed.

Alla from CMS

PowerSchool

It works!

Pros

I am a teacher and while I am not required to use it everyday other teachers do. I think it is pretty easy to navigate.

Cons

Sometimes PowerSchool at our school is down, but I am not sure if it is our internet fault or the program itself.

Anna from Chick-fil-A

Industry: Restaurants

Very useful

Pros

This application has simplified a lot of things! It is very simple to use anywhere!

Cons

I have not had any problems with the application. It is very easy to use!

Steven from Yavneh academy

Powerschool review from a parent

My freshman in high school is using powerschool/haiku sms. It is very clean and easy to navigate. We can see upcoming assignments and test. We can also view grades on quizzes and tests (if the teacher posts). The big thing that it is missing is one joint calendar of all assignments and test from all classes. This would be a great help for planning ahead.

Pros

Ease of use clean and not cluttered

Cons

That it does not have a joint calendar

Ellen from Flushing High School

Interactive Online Learning Platform

I am taking an online course and trying to get used to distance learning.

Pros

The program is easy to use once you practice. It has many different features, lets you respond to messages, upload videos and pictures, and add documents. The layout is very clear and uncluttered. It is easy to find what you are looking for.

Cons

There was no button that immediately takes you back to the home screen. The userface requires you to navigate back to the course you are taking and then you must find the home screen for the course. It is better for people registered for more than one course; however, if you are just taking one course on this platform it can be a bit confusing.

PowerSchool

Great software that is easy to use, especially for substitutes.

Pros

I've used this as both a substitute and as an over-flow aide and I have not had any problems with it.

Cons

This software is super easy to use and I have not had any bad experiences in using it as a substitute.

Nicholas from Michigan state

I use powerschool to collect information about my students in a high school setting

Pros

I really enjoy the simplicity of the product. Everything is right where it needs to be and I picked it up very quickly

Cons

The difficulty it is to switch between groups of students. I would like more statistical items to as my job is to collect data on students

Avis from School City of Hammond

PowerSchool is very unique

The experience went very well between the staff, students, and I. I do suggest any school district or business purchase this but better make sure you can afford it first.

Pros

I like PowerSchool because it has various tools students, staff, and parents at school can use to look for important information.

Cons

PowerSchool as what I heard is expensive software but it very useful. Administration barely wanted to purchase it but found out that PowerSchool eliminates a lot of unnecessary steps when looking up personal information and generating reports.

August 2014

Alexander from Chariho Middle School

August 2014

Power School Gets the Jobs Done

As a school counselor in a very large middle school in Southern New England, I relied heavily on Power School for scheduling, as well as data management. For a school that encourages data-driven decision making - PS was able to quickly disaggregate important information - it was relatively easy to learn compared to other programs. Furthermore, it allowed for colored schedules which for visual learners was a PLUS+ factor.

Samantha from River Valley High School

I use this in high school

Pros

I like how easy it is to use, the steps are simple and the website looks clean and organized. No ads.

Cons

Sometimes it freezes and it takes me a really long time to get it back to normal, sometimes I have to just shut it down

Melissa from Clark School

PowerSchool Learning Review

It is a great program to use for schools

Pros

I work as an administrator for a school so Powerschool helps us to post the weekly agenda and school calendar and also upload videos and photos. This can be shared with all of the staff and families.

Cons

Many of the teachers often run into program errors with the analytics and tracking data in Powerschool.

Melodie from MCPS

Power School

Power School is fairly easy to use, but it seems to go down at inconvenient times. Also, I feel like some report features that should be available are not. Example would be male/female totals per teacher for the school.

Very expensive PowerSchool add-on

Pros

Creates a direct link between a learning management interface/platform and powerschools grade book data entry No need for multiple portals which reduces the weariness of teachers having to remember and juggle multiple logins

Cons

Very expensive add-on for what should be a built-in feature of the core SIS

Lori from Schools of the Sacred Heart

My PS review

Using Haiku Learning. How much will it change? What will domain admin be like? Please fix lack of scrolling in grade book.