All 1Password Reviews

Must Have for password management

Doran

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Excellent password manager with other security features as well.

Overall we are very happy with 1Password and will continue to subscribe and recommend it. It's has been updated with new features that I know some of our team has started to utilize like the MFA authenticator and it sounds like it works well. I am very thankful for the personal license they provide for any business licensed user and the ability to share that with my spouse, so we have access to shared passwords. The ability to use the mobile app, browser plug-ins and Windows Desktop app and have them always synced is the best. Our previous solution required a file to be used and sent around to App or other systems. This is a much better product.

PROS

Secure. Easy to implement. Easy to manage users and access. Business subscriptions allows a license for a personal account per user, which you can also share with family. Excellent benefit.

CONS

I'm not a fan of the new look in 1Password for Windows 8.6.1, much prefer the look and function of version 7.9.828. Searching 8.6.x does not work as well as in 7.9.x. When you search in 8.6 it doesn't produce a list of items containing the search term anymore, it goes to the first item that has the search term. There is an "option" at the bottom of the search that says "show all matching items", but I want that to be the default and see no way to make it the default action.

Reason for choosing 1Password

Seemed to be a better product with the features and options we were looking for.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

Needed to be able to control access to passwords, add and remove users, "centrally" located and manage passwords.

Russell

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Secure access to all of the passwords and IT guy needs.

PROS

Secure, encrypted password management that makes life a lot easier. Being in IT I cannot describe the number of passwords I have to keep track of or how often I have to change them so 1Password keeps me working without losing my mind!

CONS

The newer version of the mobile app will remain open longer without requiring the user to sign back in so I am sticking to the older version of the mobile app.

Reason for choosing 1Password

Ease of use and cost plus the business features are better.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

Dashlane could lock a user out if the main password was forgotten, which happened to one of our executives - he was not happy.

Sam

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Enjoy using 1Password

PROS

It's a good tool for password management. Easy to generate complex passwords and save them all within no time.

CONS

Sometimes the password doesn't autofill and that is frustrating.

Ben

Publishing, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2023

Used to be great, has now lost its way

Describe my overall experience with 1Password using these points:- I was a longtime user of 1Password since 2010, but with their latest changes I have switched away to an independent KeePass-based solution where I control the data- Since taking a lot of VC-funding, the company has become arrogant and has stopped listening to its original power user customer base. Instead, it's chasing corporate customers who should probably use a dedicated identity management solution like Okta or 1Protect instead.

PROS

1Password is strong for non-technical people. It is easy to use and provides a secure way to store and manage passwords, especially when working with people who have never considered password management before. The password generation feature is top-notch, allowing users to create strong and unique passwords with ease.

CONS

I used to be a big fan of 1Password, but their recent changes have been a huge disappointment. Data management is a huge concern, as they used to allow users to store the password database where they wanted, but with the latest version one is obliged to use their service which takes control away from the user. They switched from being a customer-oriented indie developer to a VC-funded SaaS vendor which created customer-hostile incentives. Their native Mac app used to be a masterclass in how to develop a beautiful macOS app. Now they switched to Electron which feels janky, slow, and does not fully support macOS's accessibility features which I rely on. To top it all off, the developers have been quite arrogant online when faced with these criticisms. I would not recommend 1Password to anyone.

Reason for choosing 1Password

At the time, 1Password felt much more polished. Although now, I have switched back to a KeePass-based solution called Strongbox.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

I value polish and integration into macOS

Efrén Alejandro

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2024

How to leave the Apple Ecosystem

I think it is really great. After using the iCloud credentials manager I was a little scared of leaving the Apple environment and the password manager was one of the greatest cons of leaving it. Importing the passwords from iCloud was really easy, it works very well, almost like a native password manager and in general I would recommend it.

PROS

The biggest pro is the option of passkey, I think it is one of the greatest features. The password are more secure in their app than in other type of password managers. It's really easy to import your credentials from other apps.

CONS

Not so many websites allow passkeys. Sometimes the website is not recognize automatically. You need to configure manually in the browser so you can only see the recommendations of 1password instead of the browser recommendations.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

I had to use a windows pc and I was thinking on changing from an iPhone to a Sony device, I haven't change my smartphone yet, but the password manager was one of the main reasons. In windows, I had to pull up my phone, open the iCloud password manager and look for my password every time I had to login on any website, so it became really really really annoying

Tracy

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2020

A must have tool for me.

I've been very pleased. They continue to innovate and I rely on their product every day. Now that I've upgraded to the latest Mac OS and I have the family version I can easily keep all of my info up to date easily on all of my devices and share logins with my family when needed. I'm VERY happy.

PROS

I started using this tool over 10 years ago. At the time I was making a transition from Windows to the Mac. I had already been using a password manager for a long time and 1Password seemed to be the best option for the Mac. Over the years I continued to use the standalone plugin on my single computer. I have recently transitioned to the option that keeps all my devices synced and I can't imagine ever going back.

CONS

There were times when I had to get various versions to remain compatible with certain OS changes. Some of the newer versions of the software were not running on older Mac OS versions. The support team was helpful in getting it sorted out.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

The switch was made over 10 years ago. At the time RoboForm was not available for the Mac. It was only available for Windows.

Reviewed August 2023

Used many, this one wins

PROS

After using many different password management systems, I can clearly state that 1Password offers the best value for money for my work's and family's needs. Their technology, UI and constant updates are incredible.

CONS

In general, I would always rather buy a great product as a one-off rather than a Saas, but this business model is fading out globally.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

LastPass had a major security breach - I find them less reliable ever since

Kennedy

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reliable Password Management Solution

1Password is a great tool for easy storage, management, and sharing of passwords. It generates strong passwords for different sites and stores them securely. The auto fill function makes it easy to use. Our experience is largely positive.

PROS

1Passwords creates unpredictable passwords and safely stores them in a secrete vault with a master password. It is easy to use because of the auto-fill function. It improves security by ensuring each site has a unique password. It can securely store payment details including Credit card details and other personal information. It also allows us to share passwords securely among the members of our content writing team.

CONS

The free version has limited functions. For example you can store passwords and personal details but cannot share them. The free version does not really give users a snippet of what they will get when they subscribe.

Adam

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2023

My fav password manager, but not without flaws

PROS

it syncs beautifully, is canadian, and has top marks for security.its ability to share some items across a family account is also great.

CONS

the latest update to the mobile app struggles with auto-fill, there can be a long delay before it presents itself as an option, and sometimes it never presents as an option when filling out passwords.the way it works on chromebook is also very clunky

Reason for choosing 1Password

primarily because it is canadian, but it also had very good reviews around its encryption, and when i demo'd it i really enjoyed the UI and it worked so smoothly

Bruce

Industrial Automation, 2-10 employees

1Password makes it easy

Keeping track of all business logins and customer access codes is great!

PROS

In today's world, passwords are everywhere... 1Password makes it very easy & secure to manage them all

CONS

Really can't think of anything, perhaps better importing and backing-up database options would be nice

Victoria

Consumer Services, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2023

Great password program

I really enjoy this program I really feel like my information is secure and no one's going to be able to access it or get to it and I love the way that it syncs up through multiple devices.

PROS

You can sync it between multiple devices it's quick it's easy it organizes them for you into cards by name or however you want to organize them The customer service is awesome And it's reasonably priced

CONS

I wish the aesthetics were a little bit more it's just plain white and blue sometimes it hurts my head but I love everything else

Reasons for switching to 1Password

Price of lastpass and my master key would not unlock my account

Enis

Cosmetics, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2024

Very good but is there a need for it?

PROS

All passwords and important information under one roof.

CONS

With Apple, Google, Microsoft offering the same thing for free, I struggle to understand the point of it

Religious Institutions, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2019

Love 1Password!

I have loved using 1Password! It has been one of the most functional resources I have used in my line of work.

PROS

1Password has been a lifesaver for me. My memory sucks, and 1 Password saves so much important information for me and has been incredibly secure through the process of protecting my passwords. I love the iOS sharing between devices, and it is amazing to have all your passwords in one place!

CONS

I hate to pay for it, but it's worth it. It isn't much for the subscription, but this is literally the only con.

Reason for choosing 1Password

1Password is the best switch I've ever made in this area! 1Password combines functionality with security and both are important.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

Dashlane was so complicated and made empty promises. Whereas, 1Password was the best switch I've ever made in this area!

Facilities Services, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Brilliant Software,

Previously we had a password management system which was only accessible on devices within our domain. With 1Password being cloud-based it is accessible, securely, from multiple app options as well as a browser page so gives us much more freedom to visit sites and access any details we need

PROS

The ease of use. It's very simple to administer

CONS

The price is a little high for my liking

Reason for choosing 1Password

Familiarity with the product and none of our users were using it personally so it gave us a clean slate to work with

Reasons for switching to 1Password

Keepass is now past its best. Its interface is clunky and management is not great. Being tied to a device with the application installed on it is also a pain. 1Password, like so many others, is accessible from multiple types of devices including mobile platforms, giving it much more versatility

Publishing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2020

1Password manages passwords and becomes a dashboard for sites

Very efficient and easy to use. Saves an enormous about of time. Works well across platforms. Having a web interface with all sites you use regularly has a lot of value in addition to the password management.

PROS

1Password is very easy to use with both Windows and Android. You can also login in from the web and see a dashboard overview of all the web sites that you use and have passwords for. Passwords are easy to pop in and 1Password uses biometric login on Android phone which is quite handy.

CONS

Some apps are beginning to want to use biometric logins of their own which can be irritating since I prefer to limit this to 1Password. On occasion with the Android app, I need to enter 1Paaword app and copy a password and then go back to app where I need it (a few apps won't allow autofill.

Reason for choosing 1Password

Cleaner interface across platforms.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

1Password interface send cleaner and I found lastpass a bit more cumbersome to use.

Aaron

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2021

Fantastic Password Management, but questionable business decisions make it impossible to recommend

This is a difficult question to answer, as up until recently my overall experience with 1Password has been extremely positive. However, as a result of the questionable business decisions listed above, my experience has become increasingly soured. I simply cannot and will not recommend 1Password to anyone at this point.

PROS

1Password is hands down the best password manager on the market. It has an attractive interface, multiple sync options, a flexible password generator, and a plethora of features beyond simple password management - such as secure notes, the ability to store credit card and bank account info. In addition, it is fully cross platform, with clients for the Mac, Windows, iOS, Android and even Linux. Unfortunately, no matter how good 1Password is as a password manager, due to recent changes (see below), these Pros are largely moot.

CONS

AgileBits, the owner of 1Password, has made a number of very questionable decisions over the past couple of months, making it nearly impossible for me to recommend it, despite how good the software maybe. The long and short of it is a little over a year ago, AgileBits accepted a fair amount of venture capital money, and ever since their business model has changed drastically - going from a customer first model, to a profit over all else model. A short list of the questionable and user-hostile changes: • Switching to Electron for future app development (for the record, Electron is a terrible user experience when compared to native apps). • Removing standalone licenses and forcing all users to a subscription/software-as-a-service model. • Forcing all users to store their passwords in the 1Password cloud, vs. previously being able to store your password locally, reducing the security of your passwords. • Removing extremely important features from their clients without warning (specifically the iOS share sheet extension), and then dismissing user's frustrations about said removals. • Completely tone-deaf developers (specifically in the [SENSITIVE CONTENT]), who seem to no longer understand or respect the 1P user base. The development team has become increasingly dismissive of user complaints/concerns of where 1P is heading. • Finally, and most worrisome, AB has actively lied to its user base when claiming a change won't be made, and then making that change (or vice versa).

Reason for choosing 1Password

I have been using 1Password for the better part of a decade, and have only recently started to look into alternatives. Unfortunately, with the direction 1Password is heading, it is extremely likely that I will be moving onto a new password manager. Given that I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, Apple's own password manger (iCloud Keychain) is a very attractive option. In addition, Bitwarden, while not as polished as 1Password, is far better priced with more options, including a self-hosting option, and is fully cross-platform. Minimalist Password Manager is relatively new on the market, but is well designed, with a good road map and very responsive developers - its biggest downside is it is macOS/iOS only. Finally, LastPass and Keeper are expensive and clunky to use.

Travis

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Inexpensive, Easy to Use Password Manager

1Password was a great solution for us. Prior to implementation, staff where using any number of methods to remember their logins, including using the same logins multiple times and writing their passwords on post-it user their keyboard. Needless to say, this was not a great security system. 1Password has been a blessing. Each user can store their own information in their private vault. You can also create shared vaults for shared items, such as the copier code for a specific department of the WiFi password for staff. You can store more than just logins - there are a number of templates for securing and sharing information securely with your team.

PROS

Every staff member in our organization now have the ability to use a unique, completely randomized password for every login. All they need to remember is their "1Password" to unlock the application and all of their information is stored.

CONS

There are multiple levels of authentication when setting up a new device, which provides great comfort in the cybersecurity realm. Some of our less tech-savvy users sometimes require help getting up and running. We added this to our onboarding process and it take out IT an extra 5 minutes, but allows our staff to simple "use" the application.

Reason for choosing 1Password

Favorable pricing, ease of use, design and UI.

Katelynn

Printing, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2023

1password is our current PW Vault.

1password get's the job done while some features are different it seems to be working as expected for many of our employees and should be considered when adding or replacing password management software within your company or home.

PROS

I think sharing links and credentials within 1password is a high-value feature. In the past, we were using another site to send "secrets" to prevent credentials from being shared via email. 1password also has the option to add contractor accounts and the ability to offer employees personal family accounts as well.

CONS

The most irritating part of 1password is the constant need to sign back in. I understand this is likely due to SOC2 compliance and other security settings; however, having to sign in 4+ times a day when I don't leave my desk for most of the day seems a little overkill. Also, the option to automatically save credentials does not always work within web browsers. Our old PW vault asked each and every time a credential was entered which ensured new or updated passwords would be available the next time you needed them.

Reasons for switching to 1Password

There was a data breach at LastPass that forced our company to switch. I am partial to some LastPass settings, however, 1password serves the required purpose.

1 employee

Reviewed February 2021

1Password, the king of password management

Overall, 1Password Business is the 1Password we know and love, but it's for business. Additionally, everyone gets a 1Password Families which is a fantastic value. Plus, their support is fast and helpful.

PROS

First of all, the base product (1Password Personal) that facilitates password management, is terrific. Everything is made as easy as it can be, without sacrificing even one bit of security. It's easy to use, relatively easy to introduce into your life and then you can't live without it. The 1Password for Families is even better, because not only you can securely share passwords, but each member has its own private vault. This means that Families includes everything in Personal. So you can encourage safe password practices in your family (which reduces the support in the future) but you can also help them safely recover their password should they forget it, without you getting access. Now, when it comes to 1Password for Business, it has all the things you could expect (access rights, group, provisioning etc.) and it's exceptionally good. And its biggest advantage: every user gets a free, separate 1Password Families account for their family.

CONS

The only drawback I can think of, is the occasional feature that the competition may have (for example, automatic changing of your weak passwords) which 1Password refuses to implement, unless there's a 100% safe way for them to do it. So, they might miss one or two smaller features, but their security is absolutely uncompromising.

Reason for choosing 1Password

Ultimate security, top-notch UX, fantastic support.

Alain